PDA

View Full Version : will being put out the cup benefit our league campaign?

Leith Hibee
10-08-2016, 07:35 AM
Don't get me wrong I never like to see us get beat.
However last night got me thinking if losing out on a league cup run is actually that bad??

I felt last season the cup runs definately hindered our league form through the sheer number of games we played. Obviously there are none of us that would swap the eventual outcome for a better league campaign. However, with the monkey off our back this year I feel that the main priority has to be getting back up into the premier and would quite happily forget about the cups to give us an advantage in the charge for promotion.

We see it down in England with Arsenal pretty much playing a reserve team in league cup ties, so I believe that last nights result may well be a blessing in disguise.

iwasthere1972
10-08-2016, 07:40 AM
I wasn't too fussed either. Promotion and holding on to that cup is our priority now.

A good performance and result on Saturday is essential.

Finn2015
10-08-2016, 07:42 AM
Could well be. Look, before people have a pop, I do get that it is a disappointment and I'm as disappointed as anyone with last night. My chief worry though is not so much being put out the league cup but what it may impact on confidence or the shortcomings it may highlight for our rivals. We will see, I'm hoping it was a blip and we will win on Saturday and blow the cobwebs and doubts away.

Carheenlea
10-08-2016, 07:43 AM
The Cups are not a hindrance, and clubs of our stature should be aiming to compete in them all.

Baldy Foghorn
10-08-2016, 07:45 AM
Maybe? However performances like our second half won't cut the mustard, no matter who we are playing....First time in all games since pre-season that I thought we looked vulnerable

Craig_in_Prague
10-08-2016, 07:48 AM
If anything it'll hopefully increase the efforts to sign a few more players.

The new format meant the LC is done by Nov? We should have done better than this from a sporting view, however cup success for once isn't really that important, we must go up as league winners this season and Lennon maybe seen a side of the team he wasn't too familiar with, better to learn now with plenty transfer time left than in September.

green day
10-08-2016, 07:49 AM
The Cups are not a hindrance, and clubs of our stature should be aiming to compete in them all.

Yep, to say otherwise is grasping at straws.......which we really should not be doing in August !

easty
10-08-2016, 07:52 AM
At most we were only going to play 4 games in the league cup. We were always going to have at least 1 game.

I'm not buying it that those 3 extra games could have hindered our league campaign. The finals in November.

I'm disappointed to go out a competition we should have been in with a shout of winning.

cleanyman
10-08-2016, 08:05 AM
I don't think so

Short format for us and it was all wrapped up by November

Still disappointed about that performance

familyman
10-08-2016, 08:05 AM
At most we were only going to play 4 games in the league cup. We were always going to have at least 1 game.

I'm not buying it that those 3 extra games could have hindered our league campaign. The finals in November.

I'm disappointed to go out a competition we should have been in with a shout of winning.

to lose 3 goals AT HOME or anywhere else for that matter is unacceptable League or Cups....SORT IT OUT,
as important though is falling behind after taking the lead another too familiar tale , a change of mindset is essential plus 3 new faces at minimum.
Cummings needs to improve his close ball control and he will then be some player till then though we need still more upfront to help him...
The loss perhaps is at a good time (if there has to be a loss...) so Lennon can see how we are an up and down team far to often...we have some fringe players i had though needed moved on still as well....why are we hanging on to them ....they cost.

JDHibs
10-08-2016, 08:07 AM
Yes, very beneficial.

It will give the players a kick up the arse.
Shows Lennon we need to improve the squad.
Shows that we will need to fight for everything this year.
Also means the players can solely focus on the league from now until the scottish cup games start.

Not overly bothered about the defeat last night, pissed off with the performance in the 2nd half however.

Leith Hibee
10-08-2016, 08:15 AM
Those 4 games may not sound like much, but they certainly have an affect on the 4 league games that would be played in the same week as these ties. I honestly think this is a good thing for our league campaign. Too many on here jumping on the fact that we got beat and panicking. It was a shocking 2nd half, but a team that goes to Brondby with a short pre-season and manages to win, does not become a bad team only a few weeks later.

I think that we need to accept that every game will not go our way, and show a bit more confidence in our team getting it right the following week. Isolated losses will not be what stop us from winning the title this year, slumps will be tho. Keeping confidence up is how we avoid those slumps and i am sure this is how Lennon will be approaching it.

Jim44
10-08-2016, 08:43 AM
I'm indifferent to any cup run we could have had or will have this season as promotion is absolutely essential. I said the same last season, and we while we gained in some respects with two finals and of-course that unforgettable climax, I was upset that we failed in our top priority, again. A club like ours should bounce back to the top tier in one season and to be facing a third year is devastating. Having said that, we shouldn't shrug off last night's result and performance just because it was a cup tie. The nature of the defeat was a reminder to our Championship opponents that we are far from the finished article in terms of being favourite to win the league.

Brightside
10-08-2016, 08:47 AM
Im hoping that it will be a walk up call for Lennon. You can't stand by and watch that 2nd half performance

Yorkshire HFC
10-08-2016, 09:10 AM
Beaten by Queen of the South in the Cup and it's not even a surprise / doesn't cause a stir - how our standards have fallen. I remember being knocked out by Montrose years ago - the team got slaughtered.

SeanWilson
10-08-2016, 09:43 AM
This particular cup has been made a complete joke with the new format. Couldn't give a flying monkeys. Having said that, losing at home to QOTS in the fashion we did, with a relatively strong team is rather worrying.

Johnny_Leith
10-08-2016, 09:48 AM
Winning breeds confidence, more games the better. I want to see Hibs win as much as possible so getting knocked out a cup that, I thought, we had a fair chance of winning is very disappointing.

Hibernia&Alba
10-08-2016, 12:10 PM
I don't think it will either help nor hinder the league season. I'm confident we will win this division well.

Swedish hibee
10-08-2016, 12:25 PM
to lose 3 goals AT HOME or anywhere else for that matter is unacceptable League or Cups....SORT IT OUT.

How I feel.

Edson Arantes
10-08-2016, 12:37 PM
The cups should not be looked on as any kind of handicap. They should be seen as a possible bonus to winning and therefore getting out of this damn league.

Bitterly disappointed to go out last night but hey ho, it's happened and nothing can be done about it.

Bring on the league games!

GGTTH :flag:

ahibby
10-08-2016, 02:39 PM
Yes, very beneficial.

It will give the players a kick up the arse.
Shows Lennon we need to improve the squad.
Shows that we will need to fight for everything this year.
Also means the players can solely focus on the league from now until the scottish cup games start.

Not overly bothered about the defeat last night, pissed off with the performance in the 2nd half however.

As Trev says. Hearts were knocked out LC quickly and went on to win the Championship, so there may not be cause for concern. On the other hand last night showed how the bottom can fall out fairly quickly.

pacoluna
10-08-2016, 02:42 PM
NO :grr:

Fogzie
10-08-2016, 02:47 PM
I must admit, it would have been nice to stay in for a few rounds with the possibility of getting Sevco in the draw.
Just have to wait for the Scottish

Steve20
10-08-2016, 03:12 PM
I don't think it will either help nor hinder the league season. I'm confident we will win this division well.

We'll need a better squad then. At the moment, it's going to be close at the top. If we want to make sure we win it well, it'll need a good 2-3 players in at least.

Golden Bear
10-08-2016, 03:15 PM
In short, No.

In fact it could possibly be to the detriment of our League campaign as we might not be quite such an attractive proposition for potential signing targets. The potential of a Hampden Cup Final will always be a good selling point to a professional football player.

Baw187
10-08-2016, 03:16 PM
Not sure about the league but it'll hinder our bank balance. Especially given the club stopped doing cup top ups this season presumably after being stung the last couple of seasons with the amount of home ties.

The must be wishing they had done it now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dashing Bob S
10-08-2016, 03:18 PM
We'll soon find out. If we take that kind of form into Saturday, it will certainly hinder.

Highland_Hibee
10-08-2016, 04:34 PM
I personally think "too many games" is not an excuse. Like has been said a club of our stature should be looking to compete on all fronts. I get that the league is priority 1 but I don't think we should have to sacrifice for it. We got to the LC final SC final and play off semi final last season. All games were decided in injury time. If all three went our way would we even be talking about "too many games" this season?

sleeping giant
10-08-2016, 04:49 PM
Did the charity thieves not get papped out the cup early the year they stormed this league?

Hopefully we can take lessons from it.

Vini1875
10-08-2016, 04:50 PM
It is worrying for me that the team could not rise to the occasion. For me that was the signal to put last season to bed and get the sleeves rolled up for this one. We need better quality in if we are going to win this league. I don't buy the idea it will help us. I am looking for a very strong reaction on Saturday.

portyhibernian
10-08-2016, 04:58 PM
Hard pushed to say I'm gutted we won't be winning the League Cup this year, however the second half performance was quite concerning. Can't afford many performances like that going forward or promotion will be very difficult. Need three or four players in, as bench is not strong in my opinion.

Onion
10-08-2016, 05:20 PM
Yes, it will help us. Players can now get the bit between their teeth and focus 100% on the main goal. Nothing else matters.

Dav1986
10-08-2016, 11:05 PM
I hope so, as all our games until January will be league games now (should play development side in the petrofac cup imo) so give us a chance to build momentum. It is disappointing to go out of the cup especially given our second half performance last night but priority this season is all about the league.

Kinda has the feel of that home defeat to Stranraer in our last time down at this level. No one expected it, feels horrible but hopefully team kicks on from it like they did then and steamroll through the rest of the league campaign.

jgl07
11-08-2016, 03:29 PM
Remember when the McLeish team won promotion. They had a mini run in the League Cup beating Hamilton away and then beating the then top of the SPL Aberdeen before going out 4-1 away to St Johnstone. Hibs were beaten by Stirling after a replay in the Scottish Cup. There was no Challenge Cup that season and no European complications.

Hibs were able to focus on the League campaign with no distractions.

Hibs should play the sort of team they put out against Birmingham in the Challenge Cup at least in the early rounds. Put some distance between Hibs and the pack in the League by the time that the Scottish Cup starts.