PDA

View Full Version : lack of new signings

eastcoasthibby
10-08-2016, 07:11 AM
Not just a reaction to last night, but we are in dire need of 3-4 new signings that are of a better standard than what we have.

I know this topic is being done to death and has been since June, but we have had loads of patience waiting and waiting and waiting and still no signing that say's " I am going to add to the squad of last year". Although our keeper has to make an appearance yet, but Holt doesn't look to as though he will do that.

I will not deny that re-signing Hanlon and extending Cummings contracts are very good news. we have brought back our younger players from loan to bolster numbers and mask the lack of signings, but unfortunately I don't see them as having developed enough over their year away and will not add positively to the squad. The only contradiction of that is Scott Martin who looks like he will do that.

Overall, I don't see anything that says, here is how we are spending the "excellent season ticket sales monies" and also the money from the cup runs last year, on progressing the team and making it capable of winning this league.

I like many others, have to say that I have real concerns that we just don't seem to have the capacity to bring in the right players for whatever reason to strengthen our squad, we all know and have been saying it in some instances of full backs for a year that we need to improve the LB position and good cover for RB. Central midfield we need a specific attacking midfielder contracted to us, an out and out winger preferably left and a decent sized striker, who is both mobile and can hold the ball up ( sorry I think Holt will do that in bursts) but we need a younger version.

The ongoing silence and lack of any assurance from Hibs management about signings isn't healthy and I am not asking them to tell us who, but we are into the league season and out of 2 cups, we are going to be tested every week, so we need the players in now, cos the next thing we will get is that whoever we bring in will be needing a month to 6 weeks to get fit and up to speed !!!

Really this whole thing has been poor and needs to be resolved urgently, as it may well impact on our promotion campaign, this isn't bed wetting it's the harsh reality, of how desperate we need to be to get promotion this year.

The fans have invested heavily again in ST's again and would have invested more, if the cup merchandising and new seasons strips had been better managed, now we want to see our money showing on the park with the right signings, another couple of poor performances like last night and you can forget about getting many walk-ups to top up the excellent ST's as the season goes on.

Message get the finger out this week, last night was a stark reminder of the reality of what is needed for us to achieve our goal ---PROMOTION.

lyonhibs
10-08-2016, 07:24 AM
You don't Holt will be a regular feature in the starting XI and offers something different and worthwhile vs. the team of last year??

Agree with the jist of your post though - the right new signings are needed sooner rather than later.

jeffers
10-08-2016, 07:37 AM
You don't Holt will be a regular feature in the starting XI and offers something different and worthwhile vs. the team of last year??

Agree with the jist of your post though - the right new signings are needed sooner rather than later.

Think Holt looks a decent addition, but so far no more than that, although early days. A fit Farid (if such a thing ever existed) would have been a better option, good in the air and likely to get goals.

The transfer window doesn't do clubs like us many favours in as much as it ends a few weeks after the season starts so we are waiting on other, bigger clubs doing their business before we can make our signings. I would love to know who AS had targetted for us and if these were presented to NL as options, as the impression was they would have been players we would have got in early.

Think we need to be patient and see where we are once the window shuts.

HIBERNIAN-0762
10-08-2016, 07:41 AM
We should have signed Dobbie :rolleyes:

smithy_hibees
10-08-2016, 07:45 AM
We have a good 14/15 players. Others are average at best, our squad is a lot weaker than last season right now, holt is a good addition, players like Harris, Stanton, handling etc are just not good enough to change a game like last night for example, Forster,Martin even young Cane good cover defensively but there not going change the game and win us matches when need goals.

Like wee Boyle but he's a winger not a striker and was the only opinion we had last night that might have change the game.

We need good players at the top end of the park ASAP, Keats played well last night but still think we need a Hendo type in there and let him play up top even if it's as a substitute if we're playing Holt and Cummings most weeks

TonyStokeprano
10-08-2016, 07:46 AM

I'm surprised we didn't since our manager signed him last season for an English championship side and gave him 30 games, if neil lennon thought dobbie was good ough for the English championship I'm surprised he wasn't interested in bringing him to hibs.

MacGruber
10-08-2016, 07:50 AM
Not just a reaction to last night, but we are in dire need of 3-4 new signings that are of a better standard than what we have.

I know this topic is being done to death and has been since June, but we have had loads of patience waiting and waiting and waiting and still no signing that say's " I am going to add to the squad of last year". Although our keeper has to make an appearance yet, but Holt doesn't look to as though he will do that.

I will not deny that re-signing Hanlon and extending Cummings contracts are very good news. we have brought back our younger players from loan to bolster numbers and mask the lack of signings, but unfortunately I don't see them as having developed enough over their year away and will not add positively to the squad. The only contradiction of that is Scott Martin who looks like he will do that.

Overall, I don't see anything that says, here is how we are spending the "excellent season ticket sales monies" and also the money from the cup runs last year, on progressing the team and making it capable of winning this league.

I like many others, have to say that I have real concerns that we just don't seem to have the capacity to bring in the right players for whatever reason to strengthen our squad, we all know and have been saying it in some instances of full backs for a year that we need to improve the LB position and good cover for RB. Central midfield we need a specific attacking midfielder contracted to us, an out and out winger preferably left and a decent sized striker, who is both mobile and can hold the ball up ( sorry I think Holt will do that in bursts) but we need a younger version.

The ongoing silence and lack of any assurance from Hibs management about signings isn't healthy and I am not asking them to tell us who, but we are into the league season and out of 2 cups, we are going to be tested every week, so we need the players in now, cos the next thing we will get is that whoever we bring in will be needing a month to 6 weeks to get fit and up to speed !!!

Really this whole thing has been poor and needs to be resolved urgently, as it may well impact on our promotion campaign, this isn't bed wetting it's the harsh reality, of how desperate we need to be to get promotion this year.

The fans have invested heavily again in ST's again and would have invested more, if the cup merchandising and new seasons strips had been better managed, now we want to see our money showing on the park with the right signings, another couple of poor performances like last night and you can forget about getting many walk-ups to top up the excellent ST's as the season goes on.

Message get the finger out this week, last night was a stark reminder of the reality of what is needed for us to achieve our goal ---PROMOTION.

You are in my head! /:top marks

Holt looks useful but does he offers more than El Alagui, his replacement when injured in Malonga or his replacement Stokes?

Dull one last night but with this attitude can turn the negative into a positive for the rest of the season

Promotion this year is everything

Nemo
10-08-2016, 08:32 AM
From the Scotsman..

Rangers linked with move for ex-Marseille star Rod Fanni, There's a song in there somewhere :whistle:

Zazu62
10-08-2016, 08:39 AM
2 wingers and a striker pronto

Smartie
10-08-2016, 08:48 AM
From the Scotsman..

Rangers linked with move for ex-Marseille star Rod Fanni, There's a song in there somewhere :whistle:

This story is nonsense.

The player has found out who has been wearing his hat and is going over to Glasgow to get it back.

CRAZYHIBBY
10-08-2016, 08:52 AM
From the Scotsman..

How confusing for the rangers fans....they already have a team full of fannies

jeffers
10-08-2016, 08:54 AM
2 wingers and a striker pronto

I disagree re the wingers, tho another striker is a priority. If we sign wingers who drops out for them ? McGinn ? Fyvie ? McGeouch ? Henderson if we sign him ? I'd rather see attacking fullbacks/wingbacks and a midfielder who knows where the goal is. I like both Gray and Stevenson but it's not their natural game to be the creative outlets. Look at the Huns last season with Wallace and (although a terrible defender) Tavernier.

seanoheimhin
10-08-2016, 08:58 AM
We have a good 14/15 players. Others are average at best, our squad is a lot weaker than last season right now, holt is a good addition, players like Harris, Stanton, handling etc are just not good enough to change a game like last night for example, Forster,Martin even young Cane good cover defensively but there not going change the game and win us matches when need goals.

Like wee Boyle but he's a winger not a striker and was the only opinion we had last night that might have change the game.

We need good players at the top end of the park ASAP, Keats played well last night but still think we need a Hendo type in there and let him play up top even if it's as a substitute if we're playing Holt and Cummings most weeks

:agree:

This is what it comes down to. Forget about last night, even forget about Brondby. No matter what the context, our club shouldn't be standing still never mind regressing in terms of first team talent.

Last season was an absolute rollercoaster, but we failed in our primary aim and that was with a stronger squad and a more settled in manager than we possess now. Yes Sevco are gone and Falkirk are slightly weakened, but we are weaker too and unless we do something about it we might seriously regret believing the squad was good enough to win the league come the end of the season.

HibsNutter
10-08-2016, 09:00 AM

Liam Craig had good games against us, as did Brian Kerr. We need better than Stephen Dobbie.

J-C
10-08-2016, 09:23 AM
I think it's plain to see Lennon isn't convinced with Harris/Stanton/Carmichael/Handling, these are the guys that need to be shipped out and their wages used to bring in players that will compete for places. We had 3 wingers sitting on the bench last night and Lennon only brought 2 of them on with 10 mins to go and they didn't impose on the game.

Going by last night I feel we need an attacking mid, another striker and 2 wingers ( left and right ). I would maybe let Bartley go and give Martin more game time and maybe bring in another midfielder to compete with Fyvie/Dylan.

Allant1981
10-08-2016, 09:28 AM
I think it's plain to see Lennon isn't convinced with Harris/Stanton/Carmichael/Handling, these are the guys that need to be shipped out and their wages used to bring in players that will compete for places. We had 3 wingers sitting on the bench last night and Lennon only brought 2 of them on with 10 mins to go and they didn't impose on the game.

Going by last night I feel we need an attacking mid, another striker and 2 wingers ( left and right ). I would maybe let Bartley go and give Martin more game time and maybe bring in another midfielder to compete with Fyvie/Dylan.

Why would you let bartley go? Almost every game he played last season fans were raving about him, he wasnt great last night but one less than good performance shouldnt mean lets punt him, and martin wasnt exactly a world beater in his first game. Not to say he wont be a good player but nothing in his first game to suggest he should be a regular starter

Smartie
10-08-2016, 09:29 AM

None of these guys have really had a chance though.

The reserves did well against Birmingham.

The players who let us down most and cost us the game last night are some of our best and most popular players.

J-C
10-08-2016, 09:36 AM
Why would you let bartley go? Almost every game he played last season fans were raving about him, he wasnt great last night but one less than good performance shouldnt mean lets punt him, and martin wasnt exactly a world beater in his first game. Not to say he wont be a good player but nothing in his first game to suggest he should be a regular starter

Just my personal opinion, I like what he does but for me doesn't do it enough of the time, I feel some games just pass him by at times, plus his mobility is questionable. He needs to be playing with 2 solid midfielders in front of him but going by last nights comments from other posters he seems to divide opinions, also the formation was all wrong for a guy like him.

I want the club to move forward, Bartley is a backup player at best and will be on a decent wage, lets develop Martin and bring in someone better than Bartley who can challenge the other midfielders rather than just be a backup.

snooky
10-08-2016, 09:37 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Skyegreen -
I disagree. We were found wanting last season. Third place finish tells you that we weren't strong enough.
Two of our first team players Hendo & Stokes have gone but nobody seems that bothered and they seem to think we are strong enough to walk the league.
I think the Scottish Cup win has made a few of us arrogant.

Nostradamus might be on the button.

J-C
10-08-2016, 09:40 AM

The players who let us down most and cost us the game last night are some of our best and most popular players.

I thought last night was a good opportunity to play a few of these players, didn't have to make wholesale changes from saturday maybe 2-3. I would've gone 4-3-3 last night with Stanton/Boyle or Carmichael coming in and Forster at the back.

seanoheimhin
10-08-2016, 09:42 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Skyegreen -
I disagree. We were found wanting last season. Third place finish tells you that we weren't strong enough.
Two of our first team players Hendo & Stokes have gone but nobody seems that bothered and they seem to think we are strong enough to walk the league.
I think the Scottish Cup win has made a few of us arrogant.

Nostradamus might be on the button.

I have a pal who thinks some hibs fans can be quite arrogant. I've never experienced that first hand at all, but if people seriously think we'll walk this league without adding another 3 players then perhaps a bit of arrogance is creeping in some sections.

Allant1981
10-08-2016, 09:43 AM
Just my personal opinion, I like what he does but for me doesn't do it enough of the time, I feel some games just pass him by at times, plus his mobility is questionable. He needs to be playing with 2 solid midfielders in front of him but going by last nights comments from other posters he seems to divide opinions, also the formation was all wrong for a guy like him.

I want the club to move forward, Bartley is a backup player at best and will be on a decent wage, lets develop Martin and bring in someone better than Bartley who can challenge the other midfielders rather than just be a backup.

Yip all about opinions and i disagree with almost everything you have posted there, his mobility isnt an issue what so ever, last season he was one of our best players which means games didnt pass him by and last night again was one of our better players albeit not at his best, the players next to him were the issue last night certainly not him, this season isnt about developing players, yes in an ideal world we would love to do that but the most important thing this season as we will all agree is going up and to do that we need experienced guys playing, not young guys we hope will be up to it, we need a few more players coming in so we have a good enough/big enough squad so in my opinion getting rid of bartley would be crazy

Smartie
10-08-2016, 09:46 AM
I thought last night was a good opportunity to play a few of these players, didn't have to make wholesale changes from saturday maybe 2-3. I would've gone 4-3-3 last night with Stanton/Boyle or Carmichael coming in and Forster at the back.

Yep, I agree.

I'm happy to write off players when they're given an opportunity and don't take it but I'm reluctant to do so when they've not really been given that chance.

Even giving at least one of them half an hour? Ten minutes at the end of a game that is slipping away from us isn't much of a chance to shine.

Martin came in on Saturday and we'd all agree he did enough to show he has a part to play.

Ell_Chrisso
10-08-2016, 09:47 AM
1 defeat and the place goes bonkers

BoltonHibee
10-08-2016, 09:48 AM
I'm surprised we didn't since our manager signed him last season for an English championship side and gave him 30 games, if neil lennon thought dobbie was good ough for the English championship I'm surprised he wasn't interested in bringing him to hibs.

I didn't think he played that many, i thought it was nearer the 20 mark and I'm sure most of them were from the bench??

seanoheimhin
10-08-2016, 09:49 AM
1 defeat and the place goes bonkers

Speaking on my behalf, and some who I've seen say the same things, this has nothing to do with last night. Fans have been saying this pre-Brondby and I'm sure they'll continue saying it post QOTS.

There are always some panic-merchants, but this is a reasonable point to make. I'd be making it even if we had won 4-0 last night.

Ozyhibby
10-08-2016, 09:53 AM

Harris, Stanton and Handling have not had a chance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smithy_hibees
10-08-2016, 09:54 AM
Yep, I agree.

I'm happy to write off players when they're given an opportunity and don't take it but I'm reluctant to do so when they've not really been given that chance.

Even giving at least one of them half an hour? Ten minutes at the end of a game that is slipping away from us isn't much of a chance to shine.

Martin came in on Saturday and we'd all agree he did enough to show he has a part to play.

If you think Stanton or Harris would've changed yesterday game your crazy, Harris didn't do much for Queens last season and Stanton got relagated with livi.. I like Boyle and will play his part but didn't do much when came on, Big marv is better than Martin maybe Martin will turn into a better player but Martin at the moment wouldn't be a regular starter, Carmichael on the other hand I cant really comment as I've never really saw him play.. So maybe your right and should've been given his chance

Although I might have played Forster last night as he needs games and very capable of stepping in for either our back 3 last night

Phil MaGlass
10-08-2016, 10:08 AM
Did we not have a similar thread to this last year?
Signings were too late, too unfit, it does ring a bell.

archiebald
10-08-2016, 10:53 AM
Did we not have a similar thread to this last year?
Signings were too late, too unfit, it does ring a bell.

Club should be ashamed with no signings - as you say too late

Baldy Foghorn
10-08-2016, 10:54 AM
Club should be ashamed with no signings - as you say too late

We have made signings

GreenPJ
10-08-2016, 11:12 AM
If we signed 2 wingers, a striker and an attacking midfielder or left back - who would we realistically drop?

The_Horde
10-08-2016, 11:14 AM
If we signed 2 wingers, a striker and an attacking midfielder or left back - who would we realistically drop?

Anyone who isn't performing.

We Can play Mcginn left, Mcgeouch and Fyvie Central and Boyle wide right if we want. The option is there.

smithy_hibees
10-08-2016, 11:16 AM

Don't think it's a matter of who would be dropped, we need a strong squad aswell as a strong starting 11... We had nothing on the bench last night that could've changed the game and if we have a couple more injuries were strewed for quality or even semi good players bring in..

GreenPJ
10-08-2016, 11:16 AM
Anyone who isn't performing.

We Can play Mcginn left, Mcgeouch and Fyvie Central and Boyle wide right if we want. The option is there.

So we don't need signings (once McGeouch and Fyvie) are fit?

matty_f
10-08-2016, 11:20 AM
I wonder if the money is there for more signings, or whether we are pretty much at the top of the budget already? I would have thought with the cup win, the league cup run, and the increase in season tickets, that we'd be in as least as good a position as last season.

Maybe the club are waiting to see what sort of fine we're hit with before sanctioning more spending?

emerald green
10-08-2016, 11:29 AM
I wonder if the money is there for more signings, or whether we are pretty much at the top of the budget already? I would have thought with the cup win, the league cup run, and the increase in season tickets, that we'd be in as least as good a position as last season.

Maybe the club are waiting to see what sort of fine we're hit with before sanctioning more spending?

The bit in bold. Fair question, and clearly going out of the League Cup at first time of asking won't help the club financially. I wonder what the financial situation would be at the club without the HSL money the club is currently receiving?

Hopefully NL will be allowed to bring in a few more signings though. They are definitely needed if Hibs are to win the Championship. John McGinn needs help in midfield.

J-C
10-08-2016, 11:35 AM
The bit in bold. Fair question, and clearly going out of the League Cup at first time of asking won't help the club financially. I wonder what the financial situation would be at the club without the HSL money the club is currently receiving?

Hopefully NL will be allowed to bring in a few more signings though. They are definitely needed if Hibs are to win the Championship. John McGinn needs help in midfield.

I would also say 2-3 wages need freed up also, any fringe player not up to it needs either sold or punted on loan, we have a few who have had numerous chances over the past 3-4 years, they've been on loan but have they improved ?

Smartie
10-08-2016, 11:43 AM
It's been a funny few years.

The past couple of years I've wondered where on earth the money has come from. I mean - how did we ever manage to get Stokes to join?

Off the back of 2 cup runs and the huge season ticket sales we do seem to have been particularly cautious this year. I wonder if we might have overdone it over the past 2 years and Petrie (irrespective of what anyone says, he's still in charge of making the books balance) thinks we can do what is required this season without further significant outlay?

A well-timed significant signing at some point over the past few weeks might have sold even more season tickets.

We have been unusually quiet.

GreenPJ
10-08-2016, 11:53 AM
I would also say 2-3 wages need freed up also, any fringe player not up to it needs either sold or punted on loan, we have a few who have had numerous chances over the past 3-4 years, they've been on loan but have they improved ?

And there is the question, Harris did well at QotS and had some of the highest assist stats in the league I think (?), Stanton did OK at Livi for the last half of the season that he was there with an average of about 1 goal in every 4 games - not brilliant but probably a lot better ratio than any of our current midfielders I would suggest and this was against the same opposition that we were playing. Forster was playing regularly in a league that some might argue was more competitive that the one we were in. Does that mean they have improved, until they get a half season back under their belt I don't think we can categorically say one way or another.

We could get rid of them but for me its too early to write them off completely. We do need another midfielder/wide player though with pace and who can not only create but score a few as well.

Ozyhibby
10-08-2016, 12:01 PM
With a 30% increase in season ticket sales, two cup runs, income from merchandising, HSL money and the £400k the share issue raised we should have enough money to bring signings in.
Our transfer business so far this window is pathetic. We have a weaker squad than last seasons which failed to get above Falkirk.
The club seriously need to get the finger out.
If we are relying on Stanton, Harris and Handling at the end of the window then we are in trouble.

The Captain....
10-08-2016, 12:02 PM

Been wondering the same myself.. we may be waiting to get players out before bringing anymore in.

Not been a good window so far by any stretch of the imagination and the time it took us to sign a recognised first team 'keeper and get him properly registered has significantly contributed to our exit from two competitions already.

As ever with Hibs we always seem to do things the hard way.:rolleyes:

emerald green
10-08-2016, 12:12 PM

Tend to agree. What's the story as regards Danny Handling for example?

I've nothing against Danny Handling, or any of several other fringe players, but Hibs simply have to get promotion this season.

Radium
10-08-2016, 12:17 PM

I've nothing against Danny Handling, or any of several other fringe players, but Hibs simply have to get promotion this season.

Handling has a knee injury

http://www.theedinburghreporter.co.uk/2016/07/danny-handling-out-for-four-to-six-weeks-with-knee-injury/
(http://www.theedinburghreporter.co.uk/2016/07/danny-handling-out-for-four-to-six-weeks-with-knee-injury/)

smithy_hibees
10-08-2016, 12:17 PM
And there is the question, Harris did well at QotS and had some of the highest assist stats in the league I think (?), Stanton did OK at Livi for the last half of the season that he was there with an average of about 1 goal in every 4 games - not brilliant but probably a lot better ratio than any of our current midfielders I would suggest and this was against the same opposition that we were playing. Forster was playing regularly in a league that some might argue was more competitive that the one we were in. Does that mean they have improved, until they get a half season back under their belt I don't think we can categorically say one way or another.

We could get rid of them but for me its too early to write them off completely. We do need another midfielder/wide player though with pace and who can not only create but score a few as well.

So you think Harris and Stanton are good enough for the season ahead ??

Arguable they have replaced Hendo and say stokes from last season.

Livi got relegated so to say Stanton done OK isn't much of an argument, as for Harris think playing for QOS last season maybe found his level?? They came to Easter road and caused a SHOCK result, not my words btw but still shows the level Harris was good at last season again not my words and definitely that's not the standard we need at the club

Forza Fred
10-08-2016, 12:19 PM

Handling is injured and that is not his fault, but in all fairness to Stanton and Harris, if they were going to break into the first team they should have done it by now.

They WILLbe nothing other than bit players at Easter Road and it is probably in their and the club's best interests to move on.
I really don't see either of them contributing to our promotion, and simply and unemotionally, if we are to finish first we need better.

ancient hibee
10-08-2016, 12:29 PM

Livi got relegated so to say Stanton done OK isn't much of an argument, as for Harris think playing for QOS last season maybe found his level?? They came to Easter road and caused a SHOCK result, not my words btw but still shows the level Harris was good at last season again not my words and definitely that's not the standard we need at the club

What at a strange post.Harris played at the same level as us last year and did well against the same teams that we played.Wasn't he top in the division for assists?If we don't try him we'll never know.

GreenPJ
10-08-2016, 12:32 PM

Livi got relegated so to say Stanton done OK isn't much of an argument, as for Harris think playing for QOS last season maybe found his level?? They came to Easter road and caused a SHOCK result, not my words btw but still shows the level Harris was good at last season again not my words and definitely that's not standard we need at the moment

Firstly Livi is a basket club in terms of ownership and finances. Stanton joined them in Jan 2016 so to expect a 20 year old laddie to keep them up when they have flirted with relegation for the last couple of years is unrealistic. He joined a team low on confidence but was playing regularly and got some goals against the same opposition we were playing week in and week out. I think he deserves a season/half season to see if he can push existing central midfielders.

For Harris he initially went to a league higher so you have to assume someone saw something in him. He played pretty regularly when he was at Dundee for the 6 months. QotS have caused us problems not just last night and whilst I don't rate them as championship challengers they are upper table and will always raise their game us/Dundee Utd/Rangers prev. Harris needs to make an impact in the first half of the season either in terms of getting starts or making an impact as a sub. He has done OK in pre-season without setting the world on fire but as a 21 year old he has had 3 clubs and at least 4 managers. If Lennon can get the desire out of him to go with the technical ability he has then he will be an asset but he has to do that in the next 6 months.

emerald green
10-08-2016, 12:34 PM
Handling has a knee injury

http://www.theedinburghreporter.co.uk/2016/07/danny-handling-out-for-four-to-six-weeks-with-knee-injury/
(http://www.theedinburghreporter.co.uk/2016/07/danny-handling-out-for-four-to-six-weeks-with-knee-injury/)

Thanks. I missed that for some reason.

Handling is injured and that is not his fault, but in all fairness to Stanton and Harris, if they were going to break into the first team they should have done it by now.

They WILLbe nothing other than bit players at Easter Road and it is probably in their and the club's best interests to move on.
I really don't see either of them contributing to our promotion, and simply and unemotionally, if we are to finish first we need better.

I agree regarding Handling's injury. Very bad luck for the lad.

I also agree with you on Harris and Stanton (particularly Harris) - the bit in bold. They are not bad players, but as you say, we need better. But better quality players come at a price. Maybe the price is too high for Hibs budget? I don't know. Time will tell I suppose.

smithy_hibees
10-08-2016, 12:34 PM
Strange post in what way ??

Harris wasn't good enough hence he was shipped out on loan last season and am guessing he'll find first team football very limited at ER if we bring players in.. But if you think Harris is going get us promoted you'll be in for a shock

ancient hibee
10-08-2016, 12:41 PM

Harris wasn't good enough hence he was shipped out on loan last season and am guessing he'll find first team football very limited at ER if we bring players in.. But if you think Harris is going get us promoted you'll be in for a shock

I was was pointing out that Harris did well in this league playing against the same teams as us.I didn't say anything about him getting us promotion but see no harm in us finding out if he can contribute.

Iain G
10-08-2016, 12:46 PM

He got 9 assists in the league last year with QOS, one behind our highest which was Henderson with 10 (who played 6 more games). He proved last year he can be an asset at this level if given a chance :agree:

The only player with more assists were Tavernier (18) and Wallace (10).

He also scored 4 goals. For further comparison, John McGinn played 36 games, scored 3 goals and got 8 assists.

smithy_hibees
10-08-2016, 01:02 PM
Firstly Livi is a basket club in terms of ownership and finances. Stanton joined them in Jan 2016 so to expect a 20 year old laddie to keep them up when they have flirted with relegation for the last couple of years is unrealistic. He joined a team low on confidence but was playing regularly and got some goals against the same opposition we were playing week in and week out. I think he deserves a season/half season to see if he can push existing central midfielders.

For Harris he initially went to a league higher so you have to assume someone saw something in him. He played pretty regularly when he was at Dundee for the 6 months. QotS have caused us problems not just last night and whilst I don't rate them as championship challengers they are upper table and will always raise their game us/Dundee Utd/Rangers prev. Harris needs to make an impact in the first half of the season either in terms of getting starts or making an impact as a sub. He has done OK in pre-season without setting the world on fire but as a 21 year old he has had 3 clubs and at least 4 managers. If Lennon can get the desire out of him to go with the technical ability he has then he will be an asset but he has to do that in the next 6 months.

We expect Cummings a 21 year old to score 20+ goals this season..
Except McGinn a 22 year old to push us to promotion..
Age for me isn't an excuse and both been
At the club long enough now and upto now unfortunately not been good enough.. Can't see that changing but hope am wrong as never want see anyone not succeed at Hibs

Sure a young 20 year old hendo came on and changed the cup final 🏆🏆

smithy_hibees
10-08-2016, 01:07 PM
He got 9 assists in the league last year with QOS, one behind our highest which was Henderson with 10 (who played 6 more games). He proved last year he can be an asset at this level if given a chance :agree:

The only player with more assists were Tavernier (18) and Wallace (10).

He also scored 4 goals. For further comparison, John McGinn played 36 games, scored 3 goals and got 8 assists.

So on paper Harris better than McGinn ?? Happily give him a chance but don't think he'll step up to what Hibs need to get promoted this season..

Ozyhibby
10-08-2016, 01:08 PM
I was was pointing out that Harris did well in this league playing against the same teams as us.I didn't say anything about him getting us promotion but see no harm in us finding out if he can contribute.

They are decent Championship players. That should not make you good enough to play for Hibs. Any player in our squad should need to be good enough for the premiership. If these boys were good enough for the premier league then they would have been playing there last season.

familyman
10-08-2016, 01:14 PM
AS per last two seasons the Hit the Ground running REQUIREMENT (we never have)means we need signings in place fast , Dylan was a late arrival last year ,so now is the time not end of the month ..often out of our hands I know but we need to get a real move on this week and not just backup players although for sure a LB is long long outstanding

Hamish
10-08-2016, 01:21 PM
Apologies if discussed before but could it be that we are fairly certain there will probably be at least a fine coming our way for 21 May and that uncertainty regarding the amount is hindering how much we have for signings?

JDHibs
10-08-2016, 01:24 PM
So on paper Harris better than McGinn ?? Happily give him a chance but don't think he'll step up to what Hibs need to get promoted this season..

No. They play 2 completely different roles.

It shows though that Harris can assist and can play at this level if given the chance. Keeping in mind QoS were pretty poor last season and yet he still had stats that match players in better teams.

He came on last night very late on and gave us width and was attacking from the off. Looks a different player to what left us last season. Confident!

Ozyhibby
10-08-2016, 01:27 PM
Apologies if discussed before but could it be that we are fairly certain there will probably be at least a fine coming our way for 21 May and that uncertainty regarding the amount is hindering how much we have for signings?

I very much doubt it. The fine is likely to be about £50k and suspended.
We've sold about 3500 extra season tickets (about £900k?), had a share issue that raised £400k, two big cup runs that brought in about £1.5m and HSL are chipping in about £250k a year.
We should have money for signings.

Iain G
10-08-2016, 01:30 PM

It shows though that Harris can assist and can play at this level if given the chance. Keeping in mind QoS were pretty poor last season and yet he still had stats that match players in better teams.

He came on last night very late on and gave us width and was attacking from the off. Looks a different player to what left us last season. Confident!

Actually based on actual hard statistical evidence of assists / goals per game ration, Harris was more productive that McGinn last season :greengrin:wink:

smithy_hibees
10-08-2016, 01:31 PM

I was sitting in the east stand, 3 blocks from the famous five and he ran into a couple there players, wouldn't say caused them a treat at all, he didn't have any time to make a difference but definitely didn't look any different to what I've seem before..

smithy_hibees
10-08-2016, 01:34 PM
Actually based on actual hard statistical evidence of assists / goals per game ration, Harris was more productive that McGinn last season :greengrin:wink:

That's it drop McGinn put Harris in.. End of

Time to move on sure McGinn can go out on loan to Livi or QOS

The_Horde
10-08-2016, 02:14 PM

The difference is Mcginn is and can be pivotal in controlling games along with Mcgeouch, Fyvie etc. Harris never will be able to boss a game.

smithy_hibees
10-08-2016, 02:25 PM
The difference is Mcginn is and can be pivotal in controlling games along with Mcgeouch, Fyvie etc. Harris never will be able to boss a game.

My point and someone puts Harris status up against McGinn's :aok::aok:

GreenPJ
10-08-2016, 02:42 PM

Not many wingers ever boss a game.

ahibby
10-08-2016, 02:45 PM
Who is our first choice keeper.

Iain G
10-08-2016, 02:48 PM

Is that you Bobby Williamson? :wink:

ahibby
10-08-2016, 02:49 PM
Is that you Bobby Williamson?

Nah Bobby would be calling for Cummings to play left back.

Dashing Bob S
10-08-2016, 03:16 PM
1. Yes, we need more signings. We need to increase the depth and quality of our pool for the long hard season ahead.

2. Last night wasn't a disaster because we've had no new signings. It was the separate issue of players being far too complacent, underperforming, and not having the necessary character and motivation to raise their game when Queen's brought on Dobbie and stepped up.

I don't know whether I hope I'm wrong or right about this, as both have their horrors and compensations, but the team played as if they didn't care at all about the League Cup.

Greenworld
10-08-2016, 03:32 PM
1. Yes, we need more signings. We need to increase the depth and quality of our pool for the long hard season ahead.

2. Last night wasn't a disaster because we've had no new signings. It was the separate issue of players being far too complacent, underperforming, and not having the necessary character and motivation to raise their game when Queen's brought on Dobbie and stepped up.

I don't know whether I hope I'm wrong or right about this, as both have their horrors and compensations, but the team played as if they didn't care at all about the League Cup.
Last night was a blessing for many reasons.
No one got injured.
The manager got to see what happened all to often last season.
It was not a leugue game
He now knows for sure where needs strengthen
I now fully expect swift action to bring in players and we need a few it was like groundhog day last night that all over them 1-0 score line ....it can't happen again ...

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

smithy_hibees
10-08-2016, 03:42 PM
Who is our first choice keeper.

Laidlaw has played the last 3 competitive games, young Otso for me needs to go out on loan and get games at a competitive level before can even be considered for first team/squad duties at moment.. Guessing brought in Marciano to be our number one?

oldbutdim
10-08-2016, 03:44 PM

Or take him off and replace him with a centre half.

Real Emerald
10-08-2016, 03:46 PM
Last night was a blessing for many reasons.
No one got injured.
The manager got to see what happened all to often last season.
It was not a leugue game
He now knows for sure where needs strengthen
I now fully expect swift action to bring in players and we need a few it was like groundhog day last night that all over them 1-0 score line ....it can't happen again ...

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I agree with your take on the lessons learned from last night but although I hope I'm wrong I don't think we'll get the swift action we need. Lennon said the other day that there wasn't business ready to be done but hoped he could bring a few more in. I would have expected players to have been targeted and approached but reading between the lines I get the feeling he may be waiting on agents getting in contact with him.

I thought we would've had a few deals on the front burner at the moment just waiting to get over the line. Maybe he has but I just don't get the impression that's where we are right now. Hope I'm wrong, delighted if I am in fact.

smithy_hibees
10-08-2016, 03:47 PM
Is that you Bobby Williamson? :wink:

Caught :na na::na na::na na:

ahibby
10-08-2016, 03:52 PM
Laidlaw has played the last 3 competitive games, young Otso for me needs to go out on loan and get games at a competitive level before can even be considered for first team/squad duties at moment.. Guessing brought in Marciano to be our number one?

That's what I thought but they don't have him in the first team on the fish website yet. If he is I think the team will get a boost when he does eventually play.

Finn2015
10-08-2016, 05:27 PM
Going to predict this now. I think what we have is what we will get this season. Just don't see new arrivals. Not basing it on anything, just a gut feeling

Borderhibbie76
10-08-2016, 05:59 PM
Going to predict this now. I think what we have is what we will get this season. Just don't see new arrivals. Not basing it on anything, just a gut feeling
Starting to fear this too...sick of hearing it's gonna be a busy week and nothing happens....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

IanM
10-08-2016, 06:06 PM
Henderson on the bench tonight.. Hopefully get a nice wee run out to keep him fit for his return against Dunfermline on Saturday 🤔😛

Cod Boy
10-08-2016, 06:22 PM
Won't be cup tied either😜

coldingham hibs
10-08-2016, 06:33 PM
Starting to fear this too...sick of hearing it's gonna be a busy week and nothing happens....

I have no doubt there will be new arrivals but I don't anticipate them to happen until the last day of the window. Most clubs will be assessing their options, especially the bigger clubs who will hang on for the best financial deal before releasing a player.

snooky
10-08-2016, 06:34 PM

Followed by "We tried our best but the deals fell through. If only we'd sold more season tickets."

(Many a true word was said in jest :wink:)

Jonnyboy
10-08-2016, 06:35 PM
Or take him off and replace him with a centre half.

:tee hee:

ancient hibee
10-08-2016, 08:10 PM
They are decent Championship players. That should not make you good enough to play for Hibs. Any player in our squad should need to be good enough for the premiership. If these boys were good enough for the premier league then they would have been playing there last season.

om my iPhone using Tapatalk

Except Hearts and Rangers both having walked the Championship revamped their teams and brought in Premiershio class players when they got there.

eastmainsmsh
10-08-2016, 08:17 PM

Is Bobby still in Africa somewhere

ekhibee
10-08-2016, 08:57 PM
Yep, I agree.

I can see what you mean, and respect it, but I really don't see how you can say any of them haven't had a chance. The only one I would agree with is Carmichael. Harris, Stanton and Handling have had plenty of chances over the years in my opinion. even allowing for Handling's injuries. How long are we going to give these players to 'develop'? Our 1st priority this season is getting promoted, with the strongest team available to us, and this is probably where you and I differ, because I really don't think we should be waiting yet another season for these players to show their potential whilst we're fighting to win the league. All about opinions I suppose. I wasn't having a dig at you by the way, they'll probably prove me wrong and it certainly wouldn't be the 1st time.

Forza Fred
11-08-2016, 03:28 AM
I very much doubt it. The fine is likely to be about £50k and suspended.
We've sold about 3500 extra season tickets (about £900k?), had a share issue that raised £400k, two big cup runs that brought in about £1.5m and HSL are chipping in about £250k a year.
We should have money for signings.

I think we have money but not for outlandish transfer fees.

Also, while Real, Man U and evenn Celtic can identify and attract players prior to the start of a season, unfortunately we are not that far up the footballing food chainand have to wait until 'bigger' clubs have sorted their requirements and have decided who is deemed surplus by then.

We then in turn fight over the scraps.

Once upon a time, players were in place prior to pre season training commencing and the club actually started with the squad they had put together...but this transfer window means there is no such thing as a 'settled' side early on, with a couple of players usually being added in the last week, at varying degrees of physical and match fitness.

Jim44
11-08-2016, 03:48 AM

I think he's selling popcorn at the Nairobi Odeon.

AdidasHibernian
11-08-2016, 04:21 AM
I'm hoping now more so than ever the board and Lennon can see we need at least 3 maybe 4 quality players in now to fully challenge for this league, especially a player that can sore ideally 10+ from Midfield. Then a few pacey winger with a decent delivery into the box for Holt and possibly his rotating strike partner who I would say should be the last signing in my opinion before window shuts. Feel Crane could cover Stevenson and Forster worst case could cover Gray, plus feel Scott Martin is good enough to step up when Dylan and Fraser pick up knocks, especially after watching him against Falkirk on Saturday.

Come on Hibees, some signings please!
I'm all for patience as others said, but now after QoS feel a few have to come in a lot quicker please!

GGTTH

MacGruber
11-08-2016, 08:06 AM

Good. We just had to get rid of pesky Alan Stubbs anyway - was all his fault. He had the players unable to pass a ball 10 yards to each other during our bad spell because they were dazed and confused about systems and formations. Any decent manager knows players hit a ball straighter, take golden chances and mark opponents when you switch to a flat 4-4-2.
Addressed byp icking up Lennon, an undoubted winner run out of Bolton town for not being able to win much (not to be used as against tho because of tied hands and no money. Be safe in the knowledge of the good times at Celtic.. with more money than the rest of the league combined).
Just a pity from a spectacle point of view now that the league is destined to be skooshed and won't even be contested by dirty little Falkirk or Dundee U. They know of our devine right this year and at some point may play a diamond in midfield.. haha, more fool you.
Anyway, onward to home v Dumbarton and our deployment of 3 centre halves, 2 holding midfielders and backies dominating the touchlines. In the bag folks, could make it interesting I suppose by trimming the squad further and going for Dundee Utds record of under 14 players used for winning a league.
@
Just a matter of time now before the coronation - only question remaining is will Leeigha-Ange (SP) ;) & Count Petrie [boo you sir you cheap little greedy money man selling all the family silver..... oh reminds me, we've kind of decided on here we want to drive our only regular young full of potential goalscorer on a 4 year contract - family silver you might say - anywhere he wants to go, if we can pretend to him Peterborough or Slough are lovely this time of year] be back in time from Vilnius running around in their blue & orange suits, top hat and tails, spending cash out the Samsonite briefcase full of money from the season ticket player budget drive, to see us hoist the flag in February?

(I know this post will flag automatically on Daily Record systems for the sectarian blue and orange Dumb & Dumber reference and i will accept my lashings like a man)

Bored. Want signings.

Disclaimer - tongue in cheek :)
x

The Captain....
11-08-2016, 08:32 AM
Is today going to be the day we finally get another signing 'over the line'? I'm not holding my breath.

Cmon Hibs prove me wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Keyser Sauzee
11-08-2016, 09:11 AM
I think it could be down to the fact that a lot of our 1st choice signings may not be so keen to step down to our level and might be holding out for a better option forcing us to start looking at other options. I don't know anything to suggest this is true but I think its a real possibility. I'm not going to get too concerned abut signings just yet until after the window is shut as I think we are good enough to win our next 3 games.

Real Emerald
11-08-2016, 01:17 PM
Any news or rumours today, things have gone very quiet. Even a wee snippet from the club to say they were still perusing various options would be nice to hear!

Big L
11-08-2016, 01:48 PM
I think we want to bear in mind that three very influential players were missing from the team against QOS. Fyvie, McGeough and Marciano who by all account is getting rave reviews at training. They would walk in to any team in the Championship and the majority of the teams in Premiership. Keep the faith.l

GloryGlory
11-08-2016, 01:55 PM
I think we want to bear in mind that three very influential players were missing from the team against QOS. Fyvie, McGeough and Marciano who by all account is getting rave reviews at training. They would walk in to any team in the Championship and the majority of the teams in Premiership. Keep the faith.l

Fyvie and McGeouch can't be relied upon to be fit and available for the majority of games, though.

The Captain....
11-08-2016, 02:07 PM
Can anyone remember a quieter window than this?

Its earily quiet on rumours and speculation even.

Last Minute
11-08-2016, 02:13 PM
Clearance still not through for Rocky I'm hearing. :devil:

snooky
11-08-2016, 02:21 PM
Still trying to sell Albert Ross?

Paisley Hibby
11-08-2016, 03:26 PM

Maybe we've already spent most of our money on Lennon? Thinking that the squad is already good enough, just needed managing better?

Smartie
11-08-2016, 03:52 PM
For all he brought us the holy grail, drastically improved our squad and was generally a very decent chap, Stubbs didn't half ruin transfer deadline day for us with his impressive signings brought in early in the windows.

Maybe we'll all find ourselves glued to Sky Sports News making witty comments about snacks once more come the end of this month?

:hyper

MWHIBBIES
11-08-2016, 04:00 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThat wasn't even the case last time we got promoted...living in a dream world there pal.

lucky
11-08-2016, 04:04 PM
We've signed the least amount of players out of any team in Scotland. There's no rumours about us signing anyone. We've sold nearly 11000 ST, two cup final appearances and the extra cash for winning the Scottish Cup. So the question is it about money or can't get better players in. If RP was still in charge we'd all think he was penny pinching

Smartie
11-08-2016, 04:06 PM
That wasn't even the case last time we got promoted...living in a dream world there pal.

We had a core of very solid Championship players who contributed greatly to getting us promoted.

They weren't quite good enough for the Premier League though and some were binned along the way.

Horses for courses. Personally I think we're already geared up a bit too much towards competing in the premier league as opposed to winning the Championship.

Ozyhibby
11-08-2016, 04:08 PM
We've signed the least amount of players out of any team in Scotland. There's no rumours about us signing anyone. We've sold nearly 11000 ST, two cup final appearances and the extra cash for winning the Scottish Cup. So the question is it about money or can't get better players in. If RP was still in charge we'd all think he was penny pinching

He's still the chairman.

Zazu62
11-08-2016, 04:13 PM
What is going on? Any news/rumours?

Golden Bear
11-08-2016, 04:25 PM

It's not a popular opinion on this message board but I think i'm being realistic in saying that the possibilities of a sizeable fine for the post cup final "celebrations" could be having an impact on the transfer kitty which is made available to the Manager.

mutley
11-08-2016, 04:27 PM
It's not a popular opinion on this message board but I think i'm being realistic in saying that the possibilities of a sizeable fine for the post cup final "celebrations" could be having an impact on the transfer kitty which is made available to the Manager.

If that is the case, I wish they would hurry up and dish out any punishment that's coming, then we can put it behind us and get on with taking care of business.

HoboHarry
11-08-2016, 04:30 PM
If that is the case, I wish they would hurry up and dish out any punishment that's coming, then we can put it behind us and get on with taking care of business.

If the clubs collectively voted against strict liability, how can there be a fine coming our way?

Golden Bear
11-08-2016, 04:42 PM

I agree but a deliberate delay could also be part of the punishment.

Finn2015
11-08-2016, 04:44 PM
I agree but a deliberate delay could also be part of the punishment.

Hmmmm I wouldn't be surprised

Big L
11-08-2016, 05:06 PM
Fyvie and McGeouch can't be relied upon to be fit and available for the majority of games, though.

I can't disagree with you in terms of their fitness track record, we are led to believe these particular injuries are not serious and that McGeough is over the problem he had. He is apparently back this W/E and Fyvie is back next week. Marciano could also play this W/E.I also think the QOS result was a one off because we have been really consistent in our performances to date. GGTTH

lucky
11-08-2016, 05:17 PM
He's still the chairman.

I do know that!!! But he's not running the club now

Smartie
11-08-2016, 05:21 PM
I do know that!!! But he's not running the club now

It would be naive in the extreme to think that he hasn't still got a big say on budgets etc.

He's still there to ensure the books almost balance (and tbh I don't have much of a problem with that).

lucky
11-08-2016, 05:21 PM

Lots of us are paying into HSL to help fund the clubs playing budget not to pay fines for 200 dafties fighting 200 Rangers dafties. 11000 ST holders want a winning team and won't buy into another season of league failure. We need to strengthen the squad.

Real Emerald
11-08-2016, 05:28 PM
I can't disagree with you in terms of their fitness track record, we are led to believe these particular injuries are not serious and that McGeough is over the problem he had. He is apparently back this W/E and Fyvie is back next week. Marciano could also play this W/E.I also think the QOS result was a one off because we have been really consistent in our performances to date. GGTTH

It would only be a one off if it was a one off. The game went exactly the same way as a good few last year that ultimately cost us the opportunity to win the league. It was very typical of our bad days at the office last year in fact. Most of us thought the new manager might change that alone but Tuesday's performance proves we need new faces too. The fact we had a couple injured only proves that we can't rely on what we have if we're going to win the league. Watching Lennon on STV just now doesn't fill me with any hope that anyone is coming in soon. Its starting to worry me if I'm honest.

Jim44
11-08-2016, 05:33 PM
If the clubs collectively voted against strict liability, how can there be a fine coming our way?

There is an element of strict liability in the Scottish Cup, with severe sanctions, It's been discussed at length somewhere on this board.

ian cruise
11-08-2016, 05:35 PM

Someone said the total games they played were around thirty each its just once you take cup games out of that each is nearer twenty. Answer would be don't play these guys in any cip competitions this season. Keeps them fresh and gives other squad players chance to perform so if they are needed theyre not short of match practice and are a little more familiar with the team on match days. Gives Martin, etc a chance to show what they can do and takes a bit of pressure off both Fyvie and McGeough

The_Horde
11-08-2016, 05:42 PM
Clearance still not through for Rocky I'm hearing. :devil:

I heard he's shown up great in training though.

high bee
11-08-2016, 05:48 PM
I heard he's shown up great in training though.

I heard he's been saving everything in training and all the strikers are struggling for confidence as a result. That's why we had to rely on Hanlon on Tuesday night.

Nicho87
11-08-2016, 05:53 PM
What annoys me is lennon, leanne and the players saying they want a fast start to league. Well why is it taking so long for the club to get targets in, surely if we want a player we can be a position to demand a bit of a decision from clubs selling or the player we're after.

MWHIBBIES
11-08-2016, 06:10 PM
What annoys me is lennon, leanne and the players saying they want a fast start to league. Well why is it taking so long for the club to get targets in, surely if we want a player we can be a position to demand a bit of a decision from clubs selling or the player we're after.We had a fast start to the league, a great 2-1 away at Falkirk. Win on Sat and it's our best start in the league for 7 years.

seanoheimhin
11-08-2016, 06:11 PM
What annoys me is lennon, leanne and the players saying they want a fast start to league. Well why is it taking so long for the club to get targets in, surely if we want a player we can be a position to demand a bit of a decision from clubs selling or the player we're after.

Exactly :agree: many on here are reasonably trying to preach patience, but are for some reason dismissing/forgetting that our slow start last season left us with an uphill battle for the rest of the season. Do we really want that again?! I was excited to hear Lennon identify that slow start as something that wouldn't happen under him, but here we are with less than three weeks of the window left and we've made one signing...

Joe6-2
11-08-2016, 06:16 PM
I think he's selling popcorn at the Nairobi Odeon.

EATING popcorn at the Nairobi Odeon!!!

ancient hibee
11-08-2016, 06:19 PM
Exactly :agree: many on here are reasonably trying to preach patience, but are for some reason dismissing/forgetting that our slow start last season left us with an uphill battle for the rest of the season. Do we really want that again?! I was excited to hear Lennon identify that slow start as something that wouldn't happen under him, but here we are with less than three weeks of the window left and we've made one signing...

so beating a team liable to be one of our closest rivals at a ground where they only lost twice last
season isn't a fast start.what does this team have to do to satisfy some people.

Real Emerald
11-08-2016, 06:20 PM

I would have liked a bit more movement before now too for the reasons you said but I would also be happy if the eventual signings turned out to be brilliant. My worry is he doesn't seem to have anything in the pipeline and said he's no clue what's happening with Henderson. I honestly don't think they're working on anything in particular at the moment unless he's being very poker faced.

Jdawg
11-08-2016, 07:30 PM
Surely there is no point signing players for the sake of it.

Id rather we signed the players we want, if it takes more time then so be it.

Ronniekirk
11-08-2016, 07:53 PM
I would have liked a bit more movement before now too for the reasons you said but I would also be happy if the eventual signings turned out to be brilliant. My worry is he doesn't seem to have anything in the pipeline and said he's no clue what's happening with Henderson. I honestly don't think they're working on anything in particular at the moment unless he's being very poker faced.
Lennon said McDonald was signing He didnt and i have no problem with that But the fact Lennon came out publicly and said it and it didnt materialise should have taught him to day nothing unless we had signed someone
We then got its going to be a busy week and three signings were mentioned We eventually got the new keeper who still cant play
He has raised expectations and things havent worked out so far
We expect Henderson to sign so if he doesnt that will feel a let down

I am certain we will sign another couple of players hopefully three but they need to be capable of being first team players and if that means another wait so be it as long as we win games
Not sure what situation is but cant think they arent working away behind the scenes
The Ikeeper came out of no whete so lets hope thete are a few more surprises to come
Surely thete ate players who want to play for The Scottish Cup Holders 🏆🏆🏆

Nicho87
11-08-2016, 08:07 PM
I dont think the majority would be so understanding had we got beat 2-1 last saturday. We have to get promoted, get them signed hibs.

Real Emerald
11-08-2016, 08:17 PM
Lennon said McDonald was signing He didnt and i have no problem with that But the fact Lennon came out publicly and said it and it didnt materialise should have taught him to day nothing unless we had signed someone
We then got its going to be a busy week and three signings were mentioned We eventually got the new keeper who still cant play
He has raised expectations and things havent worked out so far
We expect Henderson to sign so if he doesnt that will feel a let down

I am certain we will sign another couple of players hopefully three but they need to be capable of being first team players and if that means another wait so be it as long as we win games
Not sure what situation is but cant think they arent working away behind the scenes
The Ikeeper came out of no whete so lets hope thete are a few more surprises to come
Surely thete ate players who want to play for The Scottish Cup Holders 🏆🏆🏆
Hope you're right but I'm not getting those vibes from him but that's just gut feeling. I too only want quality.

BoomtownHibees
11-08-2016, 08:24 PM
I dont think the majority would be so understanding had we got beat 2-1 last saturday. We have to get promoted, get them signed hibs.

But we didn't

CRAZYHIBBY
12-08-2016, 06:21 AM
We beat one of our main rivals on the opening day only for to get pumped by one of our other main rivals 3 days later......we are weaker than we were last season yet expected to win the league

Zazu62
12-08-2016, 06:25 AM
We beat one of our main rivals on the opening day only for to get pumped by one of our other main rivals 3 days later......we are weaker than we were last season yet expected to win the league

I wouldn't class QOS as a main rival. We should be absolutely leathering teams like that into submission

Pete
12-08-2016, 06:32 AM
I wouldn't class QOS as a main rival. We should be absolutely leathering teams like that into submission

Maybe they aren't the mugs some people think they will be this season.

You could say that about any team but looking at their competitive results this season...

Big_Franck
12-08-2016, 08:49 AM
I'm starting to get a little impatient with the lack of signings. We are still 3 or 4 players short of having a team good enough to see us promoted as champions. On Tuesday we saw the same failings as last season in a dodgy keeper, little or no attacking threat from wide, no goal threat from midfield and a defence that at times falls to pieces.

I'm a bit disappointed Lennon hasn't identified those issues and sorted most of them by now. Our lack of urgency in the transfer market has already seen us eliminated early from two competitions. Had we even just signed a proper keeper earlier we'd have qualified against Brondby and be in the quarters of the League Cup IMO. Get the finger oot Hibs.

Keyser Sauzee
12-08-2016, 09:28 AM
I'm baffled by the concern of many fans on here, yes ofcourse we need a few more signings but theres still 19/20 days of the window left, plenty time! The current squad is good enough to beat Dunfermline, St Mirren & Morton so I've no idea why people are panicking, the signings will come and most of these will probably last week/day of he window! It's as if people have never experienced a transfer window before

J-C
12-08-2016, 09:54 AM
I'm baffled by the concern of many fans on here, yes ofcourse we need a few more signings but theres still 19/20 days of the window left, plenty time! The current squad is good enough to beat Dunfermline, St Mirren & Morton so I've no idea why people are panicking, the signings will come and most of these will probably last week/day of he window! It's as if people have never experienced a transfer window before

But they were not good enough to bet QOS on tuesday, we have our 2 better CM sitting injured again and players who were deemed not good enough last season sitting on the bench. Yes we all want Henderson back but at what point do we turn around and **** it lets get someone else as Celtic are just playing silly buggers now. We have the keeper ( international clearance ) but we still need at least 4 players, a striker, a winger and 2 CM and fringe players not in the plans need moved on quickly to free up wages. So far it's been a very poor window from us.

greenpaper55
12-08-2016, 09:55 AM
There must be hundreds of players out of contract throughout Europe at this time of the season,the nearer it gets to the deadline clubs are able to get a better deal with players who will be getting more worried with every day that passes, you know what Rod is like !

J-C
12-08-2016, 09:57 AM
There must be hundreds of players out of contract throughout Europe at this time of the season,the nearer it gets to the deadline clubs are able to get a better deal with players who will be getting more worried with every day that passes, you know what Rod is like !

:rolleyes:

Smartie
12-08-2016, 10:10 AM
:rolleyes:

I know what you mean, but whichever way we look at it this transfer window has so far been much more reminiscent of the days of Rod Petrie than what we've become used to under Leeann Dempster.

I'm pretty patient and I think we have a good squad (albeit a few positions that need strengthening) but I find our lack of urgency and progress peculiar, if not alarming. We know how important the good start that Rangers and Hearts had proved to be.

HFC 0-7
12-08-2016, 10:15 AM

If we lose out on winnng the league by 3 - 6 points, waiting until the end of the transfer window which is about 3 weeks plus however long it takes to get new players up to speed could be the difference.

Hamish
12-08-2016, 10:26 AM
According to the EN Lennon is after a midfielder and a striker. Laidlaw in goals tomorrow. Red tape holding up Marciano.

GreenNWhiteArmy
12-08-2016, 10:35 AM
I've refrained from coming on here to discuss much over the last couple of days due to the reaction of some. The squad we have, i smore than capable of dealing with the upcoming fixtures.

Cup upsets happen we are no different so we need to get over it. Already in the English league cup there has many many championship sides drop out of the cup in the first round already. a few of these teams have settled squads and may not make any further signings - but on some people's logic on here they also need to make a further 10 signings. Defeat's can be caused by a variety of reasons and it doesn't necessarily mean we need new players it could be that we may never play the formation we played on Tuesday again.

we've played 4 competitive fixtures this season. won 2 and lost 2. first game lost due to shocking refereeing. 2nd game we got a mighty impressive away win against a decent European side. 3rd game (and most important out the 4) we beat the team who many consider our closest challengers this season, away from home. out of the 4 games i'd consider the last to be at the least of our priorities in terms of winning. The home league cup game against QOTS. For all we know, Lennon used this game to get first team players up in terms of fitness and playing together. If we go and beat Dunfermline 4-0 tomorrow then midweek will be forgotten about - which i firmly believe will happen.

I'd rather we wait and get the players we want instead of just signing folk to appease fans who want bodies in. i trust Neil Lennon as manager and his ability to sign the correct players - a lot more than i trust opinions on here so if NL wants to wait to get it right, I'm happy.

I'd also be retaining some of the budget for next summer - when we have been promoted and ready to challenge at the top end of the league

snooky
12-08-2016, 10:52 AM

I don't think there's "plenty time". We are currently losing games we should be winning because of a weakened squad.

ahibby
12-08-2016, 10:57 AM

I think it's because Hearts and Rangers both won the championship by starting of the season well. Winning away to Falkirk was very good but fans will be concerned that we are not converting chances and there perhaps not being enough competition for team places which might lead to complacency. I'm sure the introduction of the new keeper, when he is available, will give the team a temporary boost but will also be good long term for the team as he should give them confidence. However our forwards need to help our defence not by defending but by taking their chances and scoring. A proven goal scorer would be welcome, as would Henderson or similar. Tomorrow will tell us if we are the Hibs we thought we were at Falkirk and in pre season or are we the Hibs of Tuesday against QOS. Personally I believe the latter was only a blip, but we will see.

The Modfather
12-08-2016, 11:00 AM
I thought the general consensus at the end of last season was that we needed our signings done early and the squad settled and ready to hit the ground running.

I get that we want quality over quantity, and rightly so, but there should have been a happy medium. Not having a first choice keeper in has already proved costly so far this season.

It's a big gamble to hope that Lennon can fix the failings we had last season with the same squad. Tuesday for me highlighted that last seasons failings can still occur with this squad under Lennon. I do think it will all come good by the end of the season though.

J-C
12-08-2016, 11:01 AM
I don't think there's "plenty time". We are currently losing games we should be winning because of a weakened squad.

The fact Lennon chose to select Bartley at 75% match fitness over a more natural midfielder in Stanton shows what Lennon feels about our depth in the squad. I felt the QOS game was perfect to allow fringe players game time, Forster, Carmichael and Stanton but it was the more experienced regular players who have let us down. McGregor hasn't been great this season so far and Gray although great in the final has been a bit inconsistent last season and even now. McGinn's form has went out the window and Fyvie/Dylan only ever play half a season due to injuries.

Keyser Sauzee
12-08-2016, 11:05 AM
But they were not good enough to bet QOS on tuesday, we have our 2 better CM sitting injured again and players who were deemed not good enough last season sitting on the bench. Yes we all want Henderson back but at what point do we turn around and **** it lets get someone else as Celtic are just playing silly buggers now. We have the keeper ( international clearance ) but we still need at least 4 players, a striker, a winger and 2 CM and fringe players not in the plans need moved on quickly to free up wages. So far it's been a very poor window from us.

Using that argument, which I don't agree with, could suggest none of the starting 11 were good enough to beat QOS, do you then get a whole new team? ofcourse not because they are good enough to beat the teams we have coming up before the window shuts. I don't want us to go out and sign players who aren't better than what we have because fans are becoming impatient when there is still plenty time to get our targets.

Diclonius
12-08-2016, 11:05 AM
Maybe they aren't the mugs some people think they will be this season.

You could say that about any team but looking at their competitive results this season...

Hearts' results against QOS 2014-15:
QOS 0-3 Hearts
Hearts 4-1 QOS
QOS 1-2 Hearts
Hearts 2-0 QOS

This was the season that a strong QOS team finished 4th behind the three 'big' teams, taking Rangers right down to the wire in the playoffs. The precedent has been set. The teams in this division should be blown away quite comfortably if we are to win this division, "mugs" or not.

Keyser Sauzee
12-08-2016, 11:07 AM

Teams can sign 5/6 players in 1 day during the transfer window so 19 days is plenty. We have only lost 1 game which we should be winning, not games.

Northernhibee
12-08-2016, 11:07 AM
The squad does not need major surgery. Couple of additions; a striker and another wide option and I'm happy.

CRAZYHIBBY
12-08-2016, 11:16 AM
Farid could be about to sign for caley thistle today...scored twice in a bounce match....maybe we should have gave him another chance

RCNG
12-08-2016, 11:18 AM
Farid could be about to sign for caley thistle today...scored twice in a bounce match....maybe we should have gave him another chance

I hear he's only 2 weeks away from fitness.

SlickShoes
12-08-2016, 11:18 AM
Hearts' results against QOS 2014-15:
QOS 0-3 Hearts
Hearts 4-1 QOS
QOS 1-2 Hearts
Hearts 2-0 QOS

This was the season that a strong QOS team finished 4th behind the three 'big' teams, taking Rangers right down to the wire in the playoffs. The precedent has been set. The teams in this division should be blown away quite comfortably if we are to win this division, "mugs" or not.

How did hearts do in the cups that season? who ejected them?

We have yet to play QoS in the league this season.

Thecat23
12-08-2016, 11:21 AM

Why? His knees are gone and won't last a season.

J-C
12-08-2016, 11:27 AM
Using that argument, which I don't agree with, could suggest none of the starting 11 were good enough to beat QOS, do you then get a whole new team? ofcourse not because they are good enough to beat the teams we have coming up before the window shuts. I don't want us to go out and sign players who aren't better than what we have because fans are becoming impatient when there is still plenty time to get our targets.

So you don't agree that they were not good enough, which means you were happy with the performance and the defeat :confused: that's going by your logic.

Facts are facts and the team that played on tuesday night against QOS were not good enough, does that mean they are all not good enough NO but it does mean certain players, tactics/formation and substitutions were not good enough.

You then state they are good enough to beat the teams coming up before the window shuts :confused: How can you suggest this when we have just been beaten at home to QOS.

In both games against Brondby Lennon played 4-3-3 at home and 3-5-3 away, each game played with 3 CM's, tuesday he went with 2 in the middle and one of those was not 100% match fit and going by the reports by posters the midfield was overran in the 2nd half.

If we are having problems trying to get in our 1st option signings, then maybe it's time to look elsewhere or we could end up looking at 3rd/4th options near the end of the window.

Borderhibbie76
12-08-2016, 11:33 AM
We do not need another 2 CMS let's stop with the exaggerations please. I'm as disappointed as anyone at lack of transfer activity but no way on earth do we need 2 more Central mids and if your expecting that your in for massive disappointment mate

Borderhibbie76
12-08-2016, 11:37 AM
The fact Lennon chose to select Bartley at 75% match fitness over a more natural midfielder in Stanton shows what Lennon feels about our depth in the squad. I felt the QOS game was perfect to allow fringe players game time, Forster, Carmichael and Stanton but it was the more experienced regular players who have let us down. McGregor hasn't been great this season so far and Gray although great in the final has been a bit inconsistent last season and even now. McGinn's form has went out the window and Fyvie/Dylan only ever play half a season due to injuries.
Duno if u were at Falkirk last sat but Mcginn was best player on park by a country mile...so are u judging his loss of form on Tuesday night?? I agree with McGregor tho - been poor and needs dropped imo

Borderhibbie76
12-08-2016, 11:39 AM
So you don't agree that they were not good enough, which means you were happy with the performance and the defeat :confused: that's going by your logic.

Facts are facts and the team that played on tuesday night against QOS were not good enough, does that mean they are all not good enough NO but it does mean certain players, tactics/formation and substitutions were not good enough.

You then state they are good enough to beat the teams coming up before the window shuts :confused: How can you suggest this when we have just been beaten at home to QOS.

In both games against Brondby Lennon played 4-3-3 at home and 3-5-3 away, each game played with 3 CM's, tuesday he went with 2 in the middle and one of those was not 100% match fit and going by the reports by posters the midfield was overran in the 2nd half.

If we are having problems trying to get in our 1st option signings, then maybe it's time to look elsewhere or we could end up looking at 3rd/4th options near the end of the window.
Going by the posts??? So u weren't there on Tuesday night but appear happy to Slag the team off regardless then??

Hibernian Verse
12-08-2016, 11:42 AM
Going by the posts??? So u weren't there on Tuesday night but appear happy to Slag the team off regardless then??

There's no point in trying to reason with the armchair fans.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Smartie

Whilst we should certainly acknowledge that there were failings in the QOS game that we should address, I don't think we should make the mistake of reading too much into the result.

Taking that game in total isolation, an impartial observer who had never seen Hibs before would probably conclude from Tuesday that we need to build the team around Keatings and get shot of McGregor, Gray and McGinn - and that is absolutely ridiculous.

We do need to come up with a system and add the odd player who will get our main men (the ones who let us down most on Tuesday) firing on all cylinders again.

Because whilst Tuesday was a bad day at the office, we've all seen it happen too often over the past couple of seasons to be comfortable that it isn't ever going to happen again if we don't make any changes.

J-C
We do not need another 2 CMS let's stop with the exaggerations please. I'm as disappointed as anyone at lack of transfer activity but no way on earth do we need 2 more Central mids and if your expecting that your in for massive disappointment mate

We have Bartley( injury prone ) Fyvie and Dylan ( both injury prone )McGinn and Stanton ( who doesn't look anywhere near a starter ).

Dylan and Fyvie have proved you struggle to get half a season out of then, Bartley too picks up a lot of injuries and niggles, this leaves Stanton and McGinn, are you happy going into the season with just McGinn and Stanton if the other 3 are injured??

Is Henderson coming???? will he be the answer to our problems????

Borderhibbie76
12-08-2016, 11:45 AM
We have Bartley( injury prone ) Fyvie and Dylan ( both injury prone )McGinn and Stanton ( who doesn't look anywhere near a starter ).

Dylan and Fyvie have proved you struggle to get half a season out of then, Bartley too picks up a lot of injuries and niggles, this leaves Stanton and McGinn, are you happy going into the season with just McGinn and Stanton if the other 3 are injured??

Is Henderson coming???? will he be the answer to our problems????
Injuries happen to every team mate and any team in this league would find it difficult without 3 of their main midfielders. But we can't bring in top quality as back up in the unlikely event fyvie Mcgeouch and Bartley are all injured at the same time?? Budget wise it won't work and who will come to a championship club as back up??

itslegaltender
12-08-2016, 11:46 AM

Didnt see the full Falkirk game, but most folk that go to the games with me agree that McGinn hasnt been great last few months of last season and start this season.

Still young so consistency will never be brilliant. Not advocating to drop him at all, just agree that his form has been patchy.

Diclonius
12-08-2016, 11:47 AM
How did hearts do in the cups that season? who ejected them?

We have yet to play QoS in the league this season.

Celtic and Celtic.

No, we haven't played them yet - when we do, I certainly hope we have gotten to the point where we are comfortably beating teams by 2-4 goals each time. I think Lennon is more capable of setting up a team to do that than Stubbs but it is something we absolutely have to do.

Borderhibbie76
12-08-2016, 11:48 AM
Didnt see the full Falkirk game, but most folk that go to the games with me agree that McGinn hasnt been great last few months of last season and start this season.

Still young so consistency will never be brilliant. Not advocating to drop him at all, just agree that his form has been patchy.
It wasn't patchy against Brondby or Falkirk- give the guy a break jeezo one bad match on Tuesday and bed- wetting is out of control. Find it crazy people who haven't been to games can criticize a players performance??

Mikey
12-08-2016, 11:55 AM
McGinn's form has went out the window

:hilarious

J-C
12-08-2016, 11:57 AM
Duno if u were at Falkirk last sat but Mcginn was best player on park by a country mile...so are u judging his loss of form on Tuesday night?? I agree with McGregor tho - been poor and needs dropped imo

Can't do away games due to work, yes he may have had a good game but his form declined at the end of last season and was seemingly rank on tuesday, if this is the case that he's going to be a bit inconsistent then we need replacements to take the pressure of him. On his day he is unplayable but he's still young and when he's bad he's like a headless chicken.

Busy working to pay bills, there were another 4,000 fans not there on Tuedsay. I can only go by what I hear on the radio and on these boards and the consensus was we blew it when Dobbie came on, the defence went to pieces and they ran through the middle of the park when the midfield disappeared, hence why I feel we need another 2 CM's.

There's no point in trying to reason with the armchair fans.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Season ticket holder who was working on tuesday night to pay a few bills mate, when your self employed you have to pick and choose what games you can afford to go to, until someone donates a few thousand into my bank account, the home league games will priority over midweek games.

Keyser Sauzee
12-08-2016, 11:59 AM

I think your trying put words in my mouth saying I'm happy with the result and performance, obviously I'm not but I think we were the better team for large parts of the game where we didn't take our chances and QOS did that happens in football it does make them a better team than us.

You can use the QOS game to suggest we aren't good enough to win our next 3 games, I will use the fact we went to Falkirk and won as evidence to say we are god enough to win these games.

The fact is we don't know If the club are having problems with any of their targets its all just speculation right now and I'm willing to let tem get on with it and judge the squad when the window is over as I have already aid the current squad is good enough to win the next 3 games.

J-C
12-08-2016, 12:01 PM
Injuries happen to every team mate and any team in this league would find it difficult without 3 of their main midfielders. But we can't bring in top quality as back up in the unlikely event fyvie Mcgeouch and Bartley are all injured at the same time?? Budget wise it won't work and who will come to a championship club as back up??

We all understand this but it looks like Lennon doesn't fancy Stanton as a back up for any of them which leaves us thin on the ground, the same thing happened last season when McGinn was in dire need of a rest and Stubbs had no one to replace him, it may have cost us promotion not having enough back up.

Brightside
12-08-2016, 12:09 PM
Can't do away games due to work, yes he may have had a good game but his form declined at the end of last season and was seemingly rank on tuesday, if this is the case that he's going to be a bit inconsistent then we need replacements to take the pressure of him. On his day he is unplayable but he's still young and when he's bad he's like a headless chicken.

Busy working to pay bills, there were another 4,000 fans not there on Tuedsay. I can only go by what I hear on the radio and on these boards and the consensus was we blew it when Dobbie came on, the defence went to pieces and they ran through the middle of the park when the midfield disappeared, hence why I feel we need another 2 CM's.

Season ticket holder who was working on tuesday night to pay a few bills mate, when your self employed you have to pick and choose what games you can afford to go to, until someone donates a few thousand into my bank account, the home league games will priority over midweek games.

Martin should have came on in midfield. But we should have been out of sight after the first 45. We looked very good but fell to pieces when Bartley tired.

Baldy Foghorn
12-08-2016, 12:13 PM

Did you not see him at Falkirk then? One bad game and his form has went out the window....Stop it:faf::faf::faf:

ancient hibee
12-08-2016, 12:56 PM

Sorry but but what do you mean by unlikely.McGeouch and Fyvie are injured at the same time and will be again as both are carrying long term injuries and Bartley is trying to get over his by playing through it.

Northernhibee
12-08-2016, 12:58 PM

It's a good part of the reason that so many people got on Mark Oxley, Liam Craig, David Wotherspoon's backs (there's a much longer list). All decent players who had a couple of bad games here or there but too many people just listened to the loudmouths rather than making a decision for themselves.

Borderhibbie76
12-08-2016, 01:02 PM
Sorry but but what do you mean by unlikely.McGeouch and Fyvie are injured at the same time and will be again as both are carrying long term injuries and Bartley is trying to get over his by playing through it.
Mcgeouch had a slight hamstring issue and is meant to be fit for tomorrow that's not a long term issue??

Fyvie expected back in training next week and Bartley is back playing

Not sure where ur getting long term injury problems from???

J-C
12-08-2016, 01:19 PM
Did you not see him at Falkirk then? One bad game and his form has went out the window....Stop it:faf::faf::faf:

Maybe a wee tad ott I admit but definitely not as good as his former 3/4 of last season, I just feel we put too much pressure on the lad. He has the attributes to be a club legend, I want to see him get there but I don't want to see him ran into the ground because we didn't have enough cover in the squad.

Brightside
12-08-2016, 01:26 PM
Mcgeouch had a slight hamstring issue and is meant to be fit for tomorrow that's not a long term issue??

we'll have none of that logic round here please.

Borderhibbie76
12-08-2016, 01:28 PM
Maybe a wee tad ott I admit but definitely not as good as his former 3/4 of last season, I just feel we put too much pressure on the lad. He has the attributes to be a club legend, I want to see him get there but I don't want to see him ran into the ground because we didn't have enough cover in the squad.
Fair enough point mate 👍

Baldy Foghorn
12-08-2016, 01:30 PM

That's a fairer assessment

HappyAsHellas
12-08-2016, 01:34 PM

He wasn't really at fault on Tuesday night either as the formation left him with virtually no one alongside him to work with.

blackpoolhibs
12-08-2016, 01:44 PM
The bottom line is we keep losing games like the one we lost midweek, because we don't put teams away.

Irrespective of formations, irrespective of team selections, we need to put games to bed before we play like we did in the 2nd half against QOS.

Its not good enough, and i don't buy into the theory it will be a blessing in disguise.

We have a team who are good enough to beat EVERY team in this league, but we also have a team who could lose to every one of them, and when we lose we are not really that surprised.

A loser is a loser, we need to lose that clear softness we have and that ability to capitulate when well on top.

Signed A bed wetter.

staunchhibby
12-08-2016, 01:53 PM
Fyvie has a knee injury which is taking a bit longerthan thought to clear up.

JDHibs
12-08-2016, 02:10 PM
Wow. Some of the comments on here are brilliant!

We wont be signing 2 new CM's so that can be forgotten. If needs be formations can be altered to suit the players available, they are professional football players, not kids.

McGinn was excellent against Falkirk and Brondby, he had a off night, hardly time to hound the lad out the club.

Martin is a great prospect in midfield and more than capable at this level as proven on Saturday where he more than held his own against experienced pros in Rankin and Taiwo, never shaded away from the task or a challenge.

We dont have any long term injuries barring Handling whos out for another few months, McGeough should be fit by St Mirren at the latest, Fyvie the week after that. Injuries happen in every squad, but you cant bring in expensive cover "just incase" someone gets injured. Thats unrealistic.

Baldy Foghorn
12-08-2016, 02:13 PM

We wont be signing 2 new CM's so that can be forgotten. If needs be formations can be altered to suit the players available, they are professional football players, not kids.

McGinn was excellent against Falkirk and Brondby, he had a off night, hardly time to hound the lad out the club.

Martin is a great prospect in midfield and more than capable at this level as proven on Saturday where he more than held his own against experienced pros in Rankin and Taiwo, never shaded away from the task or a challenge.

We dont have any long term injuries barring Handling whos out for another few months, McGeough should be fit by St Mirren at the latest, Fyvie the week after that. Injuries happen in every squad, but you cant bring in expensive cover "just incase" someone gets injured. Thats unrealistic.

:top marks:top marks

Paloschi
12-08-2016, 02:21 PM

Some good points IMO. The bit in bold and the point about injuries happening in every squad - McGeouch is very injury prone and I'd like us to sign up another playmaker as we don't seem to control the tempo as well or have that spark when he is missing. Apart from that and another striker I would say that is us.

I trust that Lennon is taking his time due to missing out on other targets (this happens to every club) or just waiting for the right players to become available. For example if we don't sign Henderson I can see us going for Mallan etc

BSEJVT
12-08-2016, 02:25 PM
Martin should have came on in midfield. But we should have been out of sight after the first 45. We looked very good but fell to pieces when Bartley tired.

I agree with the first 2 lines of your post but not the 3rd

I didn't think we looked good at all

Their principal tactic was shunting long balls down the channels until Dobbie came on to big guys some of whom had pace and they were turning us all the time.

I don't think our defence in particular deals with that very well at all anytime, but many defences don't .

Its a good job that they had Hammill who had one of the worst games I have ever seen a professional footballer have or their delivery would have been better and they may have caused more problems.

The bulk of our chances came from Keatings set plays.

When Dobbie came on they continued to attack us down their left wing and we didn't deal with it all, Dobbie picked a few passes, linked the play well and lets no kid ourselves we were hammered in that period.

I didn't see it coming as I thought we have been very good up till now, I would prefer to put it down to a one off, but we will see.

If I were an opposing manager though I would know how to attack Hibs.

What I have struggled to understand is our continued reluctance to neither sign nor play players who would give us that option for as long as I can remember.

That doesn't have to be our preferred pattern of play but it would be nice to have that option.

We can look pretty laboured at times.

snooky
12-08-2016, 02:26 PM
How long will it be before the "Lack Of New Signings" thread is passe? :dunno:

GreenPJ
12-08-2016, 02:44 PM
How long will it be before the "Lack Of New Signings" thread is passe? :dunno:

1st September

JDHibs
12-08-2016, 02:54 PM
Some good points IMO. The bit in bold and the point about injuries happening in every squad - McGeouch is very injury prone and I'd like us to sign up another playmaker as we don't seem to control the tempo as well or have that spark when he is missing. Apart from that and another striker I would say that is us.

I trust that Lennon is taking his time due to missing out on other targets (this happens to every club) or just waiting for the right players to become available. For example if we don't sign Henderson I can see us going for Mallan etc

I would imagine thats why we are desperately trying to get Hendo back. To give us another creative option. No one can deny that McGeough makes us time when hes on the park!

Another striker would be needed aswell, we need someone who can change a game and back up holt!

Finn2015
12-08-2016, 03:05 PM
Fyvie is a miss, I feel that he is very important to us

ancient hibee
12-08-2016, 03:05 PM

I'll tell you where I'm getting it from m.First Fyvie's injury is the one he got last February and caused him to miss a couple of months.He aggravated it a couple of weeks ago and is now getting a course of injections.Second McGeouch has a deep rooted pelvic problem which causes strain on surrounding muscles.Far from being a slight hamstring issue it is the reason he has difficulty in playing more than a few games at a time.Bartley is ascI said carrying an injury.

StevieCowan
12-08-2016, 04:07 PM
Maybe not long to wait now..

Dibben
12-08-2016, 04:13 PM
Maybe not long to wait now..

Here's hoping... 😊

snooky
12-08-2016, 04:54 PM
1st September

Could run on long past then if nobody comes in though :cool2:

Franck Stanton
12-08-2016, 05:06 PM
In an interview today [see Edin Evening News], Lennon stated he hopes to bring in Henderson AND ANOTHER TWO< ONE A FORWARD AND THE OTHER A MIDFIELD player. States negotiations with the two are "quite far down the line" and hopes them to be signed soon. Don't mind waiting for quality players, however.....will be mighty pissed off if players coming in are just the usual "journey men" and no better than what we already have. Just have to sit tight and wait and see. Frustrating though.

Ozyhibby
12-08-2016, 06:13 PM
Henderson, Mallon and a striker and I'd be happy (ish).

blackpoolhibs
12-08-2016, 06:59 PM
Henderson, Mallon and a striker and I'd be happy (ish).

I wouldnt, the team is crying out for width and pace, and has been for years.

Jim44
12-08-2016, 07:00 PM
In an interview today [see Edin Evening News], Lennon stated he hopes to bring in Henderson AND ANOTHER TWO< ONE A FORWARD AND THE OTHER A MIDFIELD player. States negotiations with the two are "quite far down the line" and hopes them to be signed soon. Don't mind waiting for quality players, however.....will be mighty pissed off if players coming in are just the usual "journey men" and no better than what we already have. Just have to sit tight and wait and see. Frustrating though.

Good to know the Henderson deal is not dead in the water. It sounds as if it's definitely a loan. Here's hoping. :pray:

3pm
12-08-2016, 07:02 PM
I wouldnt, the team is crying out for width and pace, and has been for years.

We'll have extra money for a wide man now the scammers have to pay full price. :agree:

Thecat23
12-08-2016, 07:03 PM
Good to know the Henderson deal is not dead in the water. It sounds as if it's definitely a loan. Here's hoping. :pray:

Was never dead Jim. Loan was on but then Hibs wanted to see if they could buy him! For me this has been the hold up!

greenlex
12-08-2016, 09:51 PM
Henderson Pawlet and Graham and we're done I reckon.

Ronniekirk
13-08-2016, 07:13 AM
I'll tell you where I'm getting it from m.First Fyvie's injury is the one he got last February and caused him to miss a couple of months.He aggravated it a couple of weeks ago and is now getting a course of injections.Second McGeouch has a deep rooted pelvic problem which causes strain on surrounding muscles.Far from being a slight hamstring issue it is the reason he has difficulty in playing more than a few games at a time.Bartley is ascI said carrying an injury.

I agree that we have missed both these players and that thete has to be at least a possibility that they will both be sidelined again at different points in this Season
Both have had several spells put with injury last season and for both to start the season out with injury isnt a good sign
It means McGinn never gets a rest and we need to remember he played for Scotland as well last season and could well do so tis Season so if others are in and out the team we are ten overteliant on him and there were games last season he was dead on his feet and was entitled to a break but couldnt get one
Thankfully he has a great attitude and great engine on him but we dont get the best put of him if he is knackered
Think thats why Lennon is brining in Henderson and another midfielder as he will know what physio s are saing about thier injuries and wont want to risk havin yeo influental players in and out the team
Its not so long ago Dylan came out and said he hoped his injury was behind him and he would go on to have a full season but his career record to date shows he has been injury prone He is young for that to be the case and teally hope this is just a slighttwrak of hamstring and he comes back and stays in team ,as when fully fit he can go by players and create space for others

Greenworld
13-08-2016, 07:49 AM
Henderson Pawlet and Graham and we're done I reckon.

I kind of hope it is three players that no one has mentioned , three players that you go WOW dint see that coming

Finn2015
13-08-2016, 07:55 AM
Maybe I'm in victor meldrew mode here but even if we do get signings, it's going to take time for them bed in and we may have a problem in that regard. Maybe just me fretting about nothing and some will post and slap me down but there you go

NorthNorfolkHFC
13-08-2016, 07:57 AM
Big game today.

Win and nobody cares when and how soon we bring players in.

Lose and we'll be burning NL at the steak outside the North.

"A friend of mine once said he liked his women like his parmesan: strong smelling and shaved"

Ozyhibby
13-08-2016, 08:04 AM
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/sam-stanton-told-he-can-leave-hibs-on-loan-1-4201731

R'Albin
13-08-2016, 01:55 PM
BBCBMcLauchlin ‏@BBCBMcLauchlin (https://twitter.com/BBCBMcLauchlin) 7m7 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/BBCBMcLauchlin/status/764458552098430976)
Talks between Andrew Shinnie and Hibernian have taken place. Lennon hopes deal will be done in next few days. #bbcsportscot (https://twitter.com/hashtag/bbcsportscot?src=hash)

sleeping giant
13-08-2016, 02:06 PM
Pawlett starting for Aberdeen