PDA

View Full Version : Does Lennon know the players?

madhatter
09-08-2016, 09:42 PM
I found the starting formation and line-up strange. Much easier going defensive after having trounced the opponent. Being favourites for league and playing against a team that should finish lower than us in the league with 5 at the back/ 3 at back with wing backs is really strange. I'd rather we throw everything at a team as we did in the first half but actually finish a game before going into that defensive shape. Stevenson needs to be moved into midfield if anywhere, love the guy but he gets targeted due to height and he can't beat a man, really a Bartley type, good at breaking up play but asking him to create or win headers is a step too far. Crane deserves a chance, more natural LB. Stevenson could have played in the middle instead of Bartley as he was finished at 1/2 time - fitness not quite there yet?

Distribution from the back invites pressure on us just like last year. Due to us playing narrow apart from wing backs we rely on switching play fast and the mcGregor, Hanlon and Fontaine switch was embarrassing - soft passes normally behind the receiving player. Passing with purpose was largely missing from our game.

Much needed improvement required for us to win this league. Early days and everything but that was a flashback to last season with the worrying difference that we didn't seem to have cohesive unit and reasonably good football to watch...

tamig
09-08-2016, 09:48 PM
Hmmm. You highlight Stevenson but it looked to me like all their goals came from our right? How does that tie up?

Skyegreen
09-08-2016, 09:50 PM
Na he's been too busy swanning around Paris 🙄😜😂😂😂

That's ok though because according to some, it was great exposure for the club 😵😜😂😂😂😂

madhatter
09-08-2016, 09:52 PM
Hmmm. You highlight Stevenson but it looked to me like all their goals came from our right? How does that tie up?

That seriously the only thing you took from the above? If you think Stevenson if a good LB then you don't watch enough football outside ER. I also highlighted Bartley who was horrendous in the 2nd half but I guess you are only here for a Stevenson debate...one that I already said I think he would have been better in the middle...

andy1875
09-08-2016, 09:54 PM
There was a guy in front of me who couldnt stop slating Stevenson, that was when we were 1-0 up and continued at 1-1.

When Boyle was coming on, I thought it would be for Bartley or McGinn...guess who the guy thought it should be for.

I thought Stevenson was actually one of our better players tonight and put in a good few crosses as well as being unlucky not to score.

As we all know, there is no pleasing some folk and despite winning a league and scottish cup as well as putting in 100% every time he pulls on the jersey, its still not enough.

Sad.

gogsy23
09-08-2016, 09:55 PM
Cant disagree with any of that tbh. As you say its early days

Stubbsyy
09-08-2016, 09:57 PM
It was a slip up. If you never seen the game, have a look at the stats. This is against a team in the same league. These things happen from time to time. Also... Could be a blessing in disguise. The team have already had a lot more work to put in with a lot less time off. Keep the faith.. Hibs WILL be in the SPL next season. That's the most important thing.

madhatter
09-08-2016, 09:58 PM
There was a guy in front of me who couldnt stop slating Stevenson, that was when we were 1-0 up and continued at 1-1.

When Boyle was coming on, I thought it would be for Bartley or McGinn...guess who the guy thought it should be for.

I thought Stevenson was actually one of our better players tonight and put in a good few crosses as well as being unlucky not to score.

As we all know, there is no pleasing some folk and despite winning a league and scottish cup as well as putting in 100% every time he pulls on the jersey, its still not enough.

Sad.

Do you read all of my post? I never said he was our worst player but he is never a LB especially one who is utilised as a wingback, how many times did he cut in to pass or pass back to Fontaine. The position is making him look worse than he is.

Worse players on the night if you want to know were:
Cummings
McGregor
Bartley
McGinn
Gray
Laidlaw

matty_f
09-08-2016, 10:00 PM

That's ok though because according to some, it was great exposure for the club 😵😜😂😂😂😂
You going to contribute something or just make digs?

ggth
I found the starting formation and line-up strange. Much easier going defensive after having trounced the opponent. Being favourites for league and playing against a team that should finish lower than us in the league with 5 at the back/ 3 at back with wing backs is really strange. I'd rather we throw everything at a team as we did in the first half but actually finish a game before going into that defensive shape. Stevenson needs to be moved into midfield if anywhere, love the guy but he gets targeted due to height and he can't beat a man, really a Bartley type, good at breaking up play but asking him to create or win headers is a step too far. Crane deserves a chance, more natural LB. Stevenson could have played in the middle instead of Bartley as he was finished at 1/2 time - fitness not quite there yet?

Distribution from the back invites pressure on us just like last year. Due to us playing narrow apart from wing backs we rely on switching play fast and the mcGregor, Hanlon and Fontaine switch was embarrassing - soft passes normally behind the receiving player. Passing with purpose was largely missing from our game.

Much needed improvement required for us to win this league. Early days and everything but that was a flashback to last season with the worrying difference that we didn't seem to have cohesive unit and reasonably good football to watch...

spot on

andy1875
Do you read all of my post? I never said he was our worst player but he is never a LB especially one who is utilised as a wingback, how many times did he cut in to pass or pass back to Fontaine. The position is making him look worse than he is.

Worse players on the night if you want to know were:
Cummings
McGregor
Bartley
McGinn
Gray
Laidlaw

Did you read mine? I wasnt quoting you. I was talking about the guy in front of me in the context of the thread about "the players".

Pretty Boy
09-08-2016, 10:01 PM

You seem almost gleeful we lost tonight.

Everyone is disappointed, I'm ****ing raging in fact, but you seem to be really enjoying putting the boot in.

madhatter
09-08-2016, 10:04 PM
Did you read mine? I wasnt quoting you. I was talking about the guy in front of me in the context of the thread about "the players".

I did, came across as a sly "Sad" dig. Problem with text based communication I suppose.

The Green Goblin
09-08-2016, 10:10 PM

Good news for you though, judging by your post. You must be delighted. And you cry foul and wonder why people react badly to your posts...

andy1875
09-08-2016, 10:10 PM
I did, came across as a sly "Sad" dig. Problem with text based communication I suppose.

It wasnt aimed at you, if it was i'd have quoted your post.

I could have been clearer as well in hindsight but my point was more of a reference to the guy who clearly has it in for Stevenson no matter what.

Anyway, everyone is entitled to their opinion but for me Stevenson was one of our better players, albeit that wouldnt have been hard tonight.

My sad comment was as i say, regarding Stevenson bashing when he was actually doing fine as well as being something of a club legend winning both trophies.

We move on and learn from tonight, bring a few in and concentrate on the league. A cup run would have been nice but we cant be greedy after doing so well last year :greengrin

Cheers

cabbageandribs1875
09-08-2016, 10:12 PM

why on earth we were playing david gray so far forward out on the wing was quite baffling, it left plenty space out on their left wing and we got punished for it...TWICE, boyle should have been on well before they even equalised, instead lennon left it until one minute before they got their 2nd and even then boyle looked as though he was playing through the middle with JC...mega space on their left

SRHibs
09-08-2016, 10:13 PM
You going to contribute something or just make digs?

Give him a break, judging by the excessive use of 'emojis' he's only about 13 years old. He'll be gone in a week or 2.

Thecat23
09-08-2016, 10:17 PM

Ok your no even hiding it now. Your delighted we lost just admit it and feel good about yourself.

Pretty Boy
09-08-2016, 10:18 PM
Ok your no even hiding it now. Your delighted we lost just admit it and feel good about yourself.

Desperatly trying to get himself banned so he can go moan about it elsewhere is my guess. In fact it's not a guess, I'm right.

madhatter
09-08-2016, 10:21 PM
It wasnt aimed at you, if it was i'd have quoted your post.

I could have been clearer as well in hindsight but my point was more of a reference to the guy who clearly has it in for Stevenson no matter what.

Anyway, everyone is entitled to their opinion but for me Stevenson was one of our better players, albeit that wouldnt have been hard tonight.

My sad comment was as i say, regarding Stevenson bashing when he was actually doing fine as well as being something of a club legend winning both trophies.

We move on and learn from tonight, bring a few in and concentrate on the league. A cup run would have been nice but we cant be greedy after doing so well last year :greengrin

Cheers

I rate Stevenson just not at LB, I think it does him a disservice sometimes, he always gives 100% hence he has a degree of versatility but I honestly think that and his height has hindered his career. All entitled to opinions as you say but I'd like Stevenson to be given chance in Bartley role who I thought was terrible 2nd half and throughout slowed our game.

Once again possibly harsh on Bartley because the 3 at the back did the same readable routine in slow motion - control ball, look up slowly to pass 10 yards sideways, take another touch, pass ball softly behind target identified 2 steps before...

We need to do absolutely what you say and no less - team must learn from this and improve tenfold because this is going to be our battle at home and away throughout the season apart from Dundee United who will probably open up and play a bit themselves.

Thecat23
09-08-2016, 10:21 PM
Desperatly trying to get himself banned so he can go moan about it elsewhere is my guess. In fact it's not a guess, I'm right.

Seems that way PB. Surely to god others can see he's just trying to wind folk up?

tamig
09-08-2016, 10:31 PM
I rate Stevenson just not at LB, I think it does him a disservice sometimes, he always gives 100% hence he has a degree of versatility but I honestly think that and his height has hindered his career. All entitled to opinions as you say but I'd like Stevenson to be given chance in Bartley role who I thought was terrible 2nd half and throughout slowed our game.

Once again possibly harsh on Bartley because the 3 at the back did the same readable routine in slow motion - control ball, look up slowly to pass 10 yards sideways, take another touch, pass ball softly behind target identified 2 steps before...

We need to do absolutely what you say and no less - team must learn from this and improve tenfold because this is going to be our battle at home and away throughout the season apart from Dundee United who will probably open up and play a bit themselves.

Ok. You think I'm only here for the Stevenson debate - and I'll probably give you more ammo here. Lewis is very good in the air despite his lack of inches. I can only think of a handful of times where a team has targetted him successfully by pinging long balls on top of him. That tactic is generally abandoned by most teams that try it. Can you give me some examples to back up your view?

madhatter
09-08-2016, 10:38 PM
Ok. You think I'm only here for the Stevenson debate - and I'll probably give you more ammo here. Lewis is very good in the air despite his lack of inches. I can only think of a handful of times where a team has targetted him successfully by pinging long balls on top of him. That tactic is generally abandoned by most teams that try it. Can you give me some examples to back up your view?

I'd rather not - not a Stevenson thread...mentioned other players and I've already said he does ok at LB.

Needless debate and this "examples" business makes me think I should be on club payroll if I'm to provide "examples".

My biggest problem is we make everyone in this league look like Leicester and Stevenson is part of problem amongst the other 10 starters. We have clear weaknesses that we flip from ignoring during jubilation periods and plastering over during periods of torment by playing 5 at back/3 at back wing backs and Bartley!

We need to improve collectively or this season will be horrendous.

Mikey09
09-08-2016, 10:47 PM

You should hire a plane and fly it over Easter Road with some well thought up quote trailing behind it...

Captain Trips
09-08-2016, 10:54 PM
Tonight performance is exactly why we remain in this league.

Lennon has now seen this and it is up to him to address this asap with new personnel and whatever else is required.

I do not expect us not to have more nights like tonight but I hope Lennon now sees what else we are capable of and keeps these results to a minimum.

Sas_The_Hibby
09-08-2016, 10:55 PM
It was a slip up. If you never seen the game, have a look at the stats. This is against a team in the same league. These things happen from time to time. Also... Could be a blessing in disguise. The team have already had a lot more work to put in with a lot less time off. Keep the faith.. Hibs WILL be in the SPL next season. That's the most important thing.

Last season this 'thing' happened time after time. Today was the first game I've got to this season and, whilst I trust it was just 'one of those games', it was horribly like a re-run of so many games last season when we dominated for a good spell, didn't take our chances, fell out of it in the second half and drew or lost when we should have been out of sight. After each of these games we were told by some people on here that it was just a bad day at the office. Unfortunately we had far too many bad days at the office for it to just be bad luck.

The stats, by the way, are that we scored once out of nine shots on target, while QOS scored three times out of four. This repeatedly happened last season too and I was told on here that these sorts of stats didn't matter.

And no, I'm not a bedwetter! :greengrin

Sas_The_Hibby
09-08-2016, 11:00 PM
Tonight performance is exactly why we remain in this league.

Lennon has now seen this and it is up to him to address this asap with new personnel and whatever else is required.

I do not expect us not to have more nights like tonight but I hope Lennon now sees what else we are capable of and keeps these results to a minimum.

:agree: Exactly

hibby6270
09-08-2016, 11:25 PM
Have to say tonight's formation baffled me once the game started.

Only one recognised creative midfielder in McGinn and because of that he was completely lost/overwhelmed by that responsibility. Pulling Keatings and for a time, Cummings to be supplementary midfielders just didn't work tonight IMO.

Bartley was trying to be creative but that's not his strength and that showed.

Game completely turned round when Hamill went off and Dobbie came on. He was the one doing the creative work. Scored the equaliser and iirc had a hand in the other 2 goals as well.

McGeough and Fyvie need to return quick, along with Hendeson's return hopefully. Another creative midfielder wouldn't go amiss either.

Front 3 of Holt, Cumming and Keatings should be good enough - if they get the service from midfield which they just didn't get tonight.

Halifaxhibby
10-08-2016, 12:20 AM
Oooooftt!!! , cannae believe this site anymore...hibs were shi'ite tonight. End of. Lennon will get the job done i firmly believe it but you need to break a few eggs to make an omelette!!, **** the league cup. League is a must guys!!

Swedish hibee
10-08-2016, 01:35 AM
Hibs were absolutely honking.
There's nothing more to say sadly, apart from treble no more 😭

Forza Fred
10-08-2016, 04:08 AM
Last season this 'thing' happened time after time. Today was the first game I've got to this season and, whilst I trust it was just 'one of those games', it was horribly like a re-run of so many games last season when we dominated for a good spell, didn't take our chances, fell out of it in the second half and drew or lost when we should have been out of sight. After each of these games we were told by some people on here that it was just a bad day at the office. Unfortunately we had far too many bad days at the office for it to just be bad luck.

The stats, by the way, are that we scored once out of nine shots on target, while QOS scored three times out of four. This repeatedly happened last season too and I was told on here that these sorts of stats didn't matter.

And no, I'm not a bedwetter! :greengrin

Sums up my thoughts.

We are still in this division because partly we accepted such results as inconsequential, and the manager did not move quickly enough to recognise the danger of it turning into a habit.

If we make the same mistake this season, then we'll be having this same conversation in a year's time.

We need improvements to the squad...and one of them should be a striker.

500miles
10-08-2016, 07:23 AM
I thought we simply didn't get enough movement in the middle of the park and a little bit of poor communication between goalkeeper and defence.

We would've been better with a hungry B team last night that the first team applying big game strategy. We ended up too static, too cautious and trying to hold a rigid shape that we didn't need.

Boyle should have been on for JC much sooner, Keatings was unfortunate with a couple of chances, Fontaine missed a sitter, and their goalkeeper had a good game.

green day
10-08-2016, 07:31 AM
We would've been better with a hungry B team last night that the first team applying big game strategy.

Difficult to say, but we need a plan B, thats for sure.

Your point about a "B" team - the week before the 0-3 loss to Morton last season we thrashed Alloa 3-0 with a team that had 7 changes from the win over Hearts.

A week later and the "A" team came back in and fell apart v Morton in a similar way to last night.

And in a similar way to last night, I couldnt understand the tactics / formation / changes taking so long.

Ozymandias
10-08-2016, 08:16 AM
Oooooftt!!! , cannae believe this site anymore...hibs were shi'ite tonight. End of. Lennon will get the job done i firmly believe it but you need to break a few eggs to make an omelette!!, **** the league cup. League is a must guys!!

Hibs were absolutely honking.
There's nothing more to say sadly, apart from treble no more 😭

Actually I don't think we were honking or s****. No-one would have argued had we been 3 or 4 up at HT. Their keep pulls of back-to-back world class saves at 1-0 in the 2nd half thee get sucker punched. Not happy clapping, but one of those nights.

Where it will I hope help is highlighting the importance of closing games out. We move on...