PDA

View Full Version : Focus

lugz
09-08-2016, 08:52 PM
Tin Hat on

I know it's never nice to lose in a cup especially against a team we expect to beat but for me this season is about one thing...promotion. We're off to a good start with a win away to one our rivals for the league. I'd take going out of both cups at the earliest opportunity if it means giving us a better chance of getting back up.

Look at last season, yes the Zombies were better than us over the season but apart from that we were the strongest side, if we hadn't reached two finals including replays we would have came 2nd quite easily and would have had a good crack at Kilmarnock.

Roll on Saturday and another 3 points!

ShinyFantastic
09-08-2016, 08:55 PM
Come on now it's pretty disheartening to be out of 1 of our 2 chances to win a major trophy in early August. Especially given we played so poorly with our strongest team on the pitch. Can't find any positives from this.

Nameless
09-08-2016, 08:56 PM
Agree. One less distraction. A run would have been nice, but only one outcome will equal success this season, and it doesn't involve us being given a trophy at hampden.

lugz
09-08-2016, 08:57 PM
Come on now it's pretty disheartening to be out of 1 of our 2 chances to win a major trophy in early August. Especially given we played so poorly with our strongest team on the pitch. Can't find any positives from this.

Of course it's disheartening all I'm saying is there should be a clear priority this season and the cups aren't it.

Callum7
09-08-2016, 08:58 PM
As long as we can beat them in the league I don't care.

ShinyFantastic
09-08-2016, 09:01 PM
Of course it's disheartening all I'm saying is there should be a clear priority this season and the cups aren't it.

That's such a losers attitude. Why can't we compete in the cups and win the league?

lugz
09-08-2016, 09:04 PM
That's such a losers attitude. Why can't we compete in the cups and win the league?

Because last season proved we couldn't, the team is no stronger this season (possibly weaker) so I'd rather they focused on the main prize.

ShinyFantastic
09-08-2016, 09:11 PM
Because last season proved we couldn't, the team is no stronger this season (possibly weaker) so I'd rather they focused on the main prize.

We won the Scottish Cup last season. We lost the League Cup final in injury time from a tactical and defensive mistake. We lost the Play-Off Semi-Final in injury time because we couldn't quite manage to defend a long throw-in for the 86th time in the season. That's how close we were to doing all three. We were 'able to compete' alright.

matty_f
09-08-2016, 09:11 PM

We nearly did it last season, IMHO if we'd dropped out of the league cup early doors we'd have been closer to The Rangers than we finished.

The Yams did nothing in the cups and romped the league - with the Scottish Cup in the trophy cabinet i would be delighted if that's how our season goes.

ShinyFantastic
09-08-2016, 09:15 PM
We nearly did it last season, IMHO if we'd dropped out of the league cup early doors we'd have been closer to The Rangers than we finished.

The Yams did nothing in the cups and romped the league - with the Scottish Cup in the trophy cabinet i would be delighted if that's how our season goes.

Who did we beat in the Scottish Cup final again? Oh that's right- The Rangers. The same team that played 4 more games than us in the Petrofac Cup. Didn't do them much harm in the league.

#FromTheCapital
09-08-2016, 09:26 PM

:agree:
Hate to give any credit to that shower of *****, but they had the right idea that season. We had our fun in May and I wouldn't change that for anything, but I couldn't care about either cup this season as long as we win this league.

Brightside
09-08-2016, 09:28 PM
My only problem with tonight was Lennon refusing to replace Bartley who was miles off the pace. Bringing on wingers when we were losing everything in midfield was plain stupid.

matty_f
09-08-2016, 09:33 PM
Who did we beat in the Scottish Cup final again? Oh that's right- The Rangers. The same team that played 4 more games than us in the Petrofac Cup. Didn't do them much harm in the league.

I don't think the Petrofac Cup is comparable, to be fair.

We also had the play offs to negotiate.

I think there's a balance, ideally you'd want to be able to compete on skill fronts all the time, but not even the best teams manage that consistently.

We have to gain promotion this season, we can't afford to be nearly men.

GreenNWhiteArmy
09-08-2016, 09:45 PM
We won the Scottish Cup last season. We lost the League Cup final in injury time from a tactical and defensive mistake. We lost the Play-Off Semi-Final in injury time because we couldn't quite manage to defend a long throw-in for the 86th time in the season. That's how close we were to doing all three. We were 'able to compete' alright.

I'd argue that losing the league cup final and play offs the way we did contributed to us winning the Scottish Cup in the manner we did.

I don't believe we have a squad capable of competing on all fronts and it would be interesting to see our league form after excellent cup results. I'm sure after Aberdeen we drew with St Mirren then after the derby win we went on a poor run of form.

Promotion is imperative this season so if that means going out early in the cups then so be it. I won't take a cup over promotion this season

zitelli62
09-08-2016, 10:37 PM
has to be promotion last year our form dipped when we got to the league cup final then picked up after the final yes im gutted but maybe a blessing in disguise hope so.:flag:

pacoluna
10-08-2016, 08:43 AM
One thing is for Sure Lennon won't come out and accept that result yesterday and say " now we can concentrate on the league" because he is a winner. It's no blessing in disguise it's an early round cup exit that we should be aiming to win. Cup runs never hampered us when in the SPL so why should it hamper our chsip campaign?

Baldy Foghorn
10-08-2016, 08:46 AM
We should have a squad fit enough to rotate and play in 4 additional League Cup matches, along with League and Scottish Cup. It came as a surprise the defeat last night, I never expected it. A good cup run generates revenue, to go out at first stage is disappointing.....

PeeJay
10-08-2016, 09:38 AM
Tin Hat on

I know it's never nice to lose in a cup especially against a team we expect to beat but for me this season is about one thing...promotion. We're off to a good start with a win away to one our rivals for the league. I'd take going out of both cups at the earliest opportunity if it means giving us a better chance of getting back up.

Look at last season, yes the Zombies were better than us over the season but apart from that we were the strongest side, if we hadn't reached two finals including replays we would have came 2nd quite easily and would have had a good crack at Kilmarnock.

Winning games is what makes a team league champions, losing games at home suggests we have a problem and the problem has little to do with the number of competitions or games we are involved in - maybe we should concentrate on solving the problem instead of thinking if we're not involved in this or that then we will gain promotion? The problems of the last two seasons were plainly on show last night ...

Forza Fred
10-08-2016, 09:44 AM
We need to improve our squad to win the league.

The cold hearted fact is that since we were relegated we have never been top of this league

Some will also have to go quickly, and be replaced by better players, or there is a possibility it is the play offs again.

Over confidence and complacency is our enemy!

snooky
10-08-2016, 09:48 AM
Tin Hat on

I've never bought into this "concentrate on the league" guff. It's a feeble excuse for losing a cup game.
A winning team goes from strength to strength. Let's not kid ourselves that this was a poor result and we should all recognise that and not hide behind excuses like "diddy cup" et al.

cabbageandribs1875
10-08-2016, 10:00 AM
I've never bought into this "concentrate on the league" guff. It's a feeble excuse for losing a cup game.
A winning team goes from strength to strength. Let's not kid ourselves that this was a poor result and we should all recognise that and not hide behind excuses like "diddy cup" et al.

utter nonsense :agree:

Phil MaGlass
10-08-2016, 10:04 AM
Sorry but we should be winning these games, lets not say QOTS are a good team they are not, nowhere near it, either are Dunfermline Raith or anyone else you may care to mention, no excuse that we should be focussing on promotion, 3-1 defeat to anyone is not acceptable.