PDA

View Full Version : Striker Required

Captain Trips
09-08-2016, 08:38 PM
Apply within.

Heisenberg
09-08-2016, 08:48 PM
Along with two quick wingers and an attacking midfield player.

Finn2015
09-08-2016, 09:01 PM

Think your in for a disappointment then. Let's be honest, we will only see 1-2 signings af most

Andy74
09-08-2016, 09:11 PM
Been saying for weeks we were getting a bit complacent here that the change of manager was going to fix everything.

We are weaker than last season and we still lack pace and creativity.

Captain Trips
09-08-2016, 09:15 PM
Been saying for weeks we were getting a bit complacent here that the change of manager was going to fix everything.

100‰

Danderhall Hibs
09-08-2016, 09:16 PM

:agree:

ggth
09-08-2016, 09:20 PM

spot on, for me Stevensons time is up!
the formation we played tonight, he offered nothing going forward, except stopping and passing side ways, I would like to see one of the youngsters given a chance

Gmack7
09-08-2016, 09:24 PM
We really miss Fyvie and McGeough, also if we're going to stick with big Holt we need to give him decent supply from the byline and not just knock ons,poor display gar far to many tonight

hibsdaft
09-08-2016, 09:26 PM
If Lennon wants width he needs to sign wingers. Our full backs are not cut out for playing wing back.

Hibernian Verse
09-08-2016, 09:27 PM
Could we not have signed Dobbie?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

NorthNorfolkHFC
09-08-2016, 09:28 PM
We won't have players in this week. Lennon has a huge game on Saturday. Home to a team who may be a dark horse this year.
They'll be right up for it and have a few players who can hurt us.

"A friend of mine once said he liked his women like his parmesan: strong smelling and shaved"

The Captain....
09-08-2016, 09:31 PM

:agree: Yep...we'll get there no doubt but I thought we'd be much further on than we are.

Was still surprised by how quickly and poorly we capitulated tonight after they equalised..players looked drained of confidence and energy. Only bright spot is if there was any complacency around the place it should certainly have blown it away.

good chance to bounce back in a big game atmosphere on Saturday..I hope and think we will but reinforcements are required soon.

Skyegreen
09-08-2016, 09:31 PM
There was me thinking we need to sign a defender 🙄

A big experienced, battle hardened guy from the English championship that's maybe nearing the end of their career that could do a shut door job in our league!

Surely that's got to be a must! Lennon said himself we were a soft touch, what better way to solve this ?

southsider
09-08-2016, 09:45 PM
Could we not have signed Dobbie?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Our midfield don't score enough goals. We need one who is going to get 12-15 plus goals. Commons is the answer if we can get him .

number9dream
09-08-2016, 09:47 PM
Keatings is not a number 10. If Stanton or Carmichael aren't going to get a look in, then we need someone new in behind our strikers... It's all gone quiet on the Henderson front but we struggled in that department last season with him around.

GreenNWhiteArmy
09-08-2016, 09:51 PM
I've always felt we needed another striker in to help the players we've got.

For me 4312 is the formation I'd like us to play this season as follows:

Keeper
Gray McGregor Hanlon Stevenson
Mcginn Fyvie McGeouch
Henderson
Holt Cummings

Bartley and Martin also come in to the CM in the games that suit.

Keatings is a replacement for Cummings with a tall target man as replacement for Holt.

This also allows us for a change in formation if results aren't going our way with the likes of Boyle also on the bench

AlbertK86
09-08-2016, 09:52 PM
Keatings is not a number 10. If Stanton or Carmichael aren't going to get a look in, then we need someone new in behind our strikers... It's all gone quiet on the Henderson front but we struggled in that department last season with him around.

Keatings was excellent tonight ... Only one that looked like scoring. Played some great passes as well

lucky
09-08-2016, 09:52 PM
the formation we played tonight, he offered nothing going forward, except stopping and passing side ways, I would like to see one of the youngsters given a chance

Stevenson was one of our better players tonight. He is one the first names on the team sheet for Stubbs and Lennon. He gives his all every game. Gray was the poorer of the full backs and was caught out of position for the equaliser

keep the faith
09-08-2016, 09:55 PM

Absolute rubbish!

J-C
09-08-2016, 09:59 PM
We played wingbacks last 2 seasons and we've failed to get up, as good as Gray and Stevenson are they are not attacking wingbacks. Greenandwhitearmy wants 4-3-1-2, jeez that's the bloody diamond again, well no ta for that. 4-4-2 of 4-3-3 is the way with either 1 or 2 wingers, we were playing with wingers pre season, why has he stopped using them?

Sammy7nil
09-08-2016, 10:07 PM
We played wingbacks last 2 seasons and we've failed to get up, as good as Gray and Stevenson are they are not attacking wingbacks. Greenandwhitearmy wants 4-3-1-2, jeez that's the bloody diamond again, well no ta for that. 4-4-2 of 4-3-3 is the way with either 1 or 2 wingers, we were playing with wingers pre season, why has he stopped using them?

At home i would like to see us play 3-5-2 and I dont think either of our current full backs should play in that formation.

KazaHibs
09-08-2016, 10:14 PM
Anyone else think that Keatings should only be upfront and not in midfield, didn't work last season and won't work this season

Smartie
09-08-2016, 10:18 PM
Keatings was excellent tonight ... Only one that looked like scoring. Played some great passes as well

I had reservations about him playing that role but not after tonight.

He was our best player by a country mile.

As you say, a scoring threat from anywhere and played some great passes too, along with some cracking dead ball deliveries.

On the evidence of that game, that is the last position/ player we should be looking to replace.

We definitely need more up front though, a real dearth of options there right now.

tamig
09-08-2016, 10:23 PM
Anyone else think that Keatings should only be upfront and not in midfield, didn't work last season and won't work this season

He looked all right in there tonight and unlucky not to bag at least one goal.

Logie
09-08-2016, 10:26 PM

Agent scotland just posted Hendo will be Hibs player by the weekend.... No sure how realiable that info is like but there you go..... Could be Henderson to deliveeeeeer on Saturday 😉

The Leith Dutch
09-08-2016, 10:29 PM
Far too familiar from last season:
15 shots
9 on target
7 corners
1 goal

Much as I'd like not to be shipping 3 goals to QotS I'm far more concerned that we only scored 1 goal.
We should be 2+ every game.

The on target shots are the most worrying:
We scored 11% of ours they scored 75% of theirs.

Wasn't at the game tonight - poor chances or poor conversion of the chances?

Ronniekirk
09-08-2016, 10:32 PM

I will admit i was complacent tonight Still on a high from Scottish Cup win

Captain Trips
09-08-2016, 10:33 PM
Oh and a midfielder with guile in final 3rd.

madhatter
09-08-2016, 10:56 PM
Far too familiar from last season:
15 shots
9 on target
7 corners
1 goal

Much as I'd like not to be shipping 3 goals to QotS I'm far more concerned that we only scored 1 goal.
We should be 2+ every game.

The on target shots are the most worrying:
We scored 11% of ours they scored 75% of theirs.

Wasn't at the game tonight - poor chances or poor conversion of the chances?

Quite a few from range, and 3 sitters missed. Big difference between their chances and ours - we were made to work for them, we gifted them chances. They get time to build from back when they want to and our defenders invited pressure and dissolved any chance to open up space by pedantic passing. Stevenson, Gray, McGinn and the top 3 were badly guilty of "going forward" too early- running upfield and standing beside their marker holding hands... Not enough dynamic movement and we have to work far too hard to get goals because of that. We lose a goal and forget how to go from reverse into 1st.

In summary, last season again so far.

Jones28
09-08-2016, 10:58 PM

He was the better of the mid-fielders

Nicho87
09-08-2016, 11:22 PM
4-3-3 should be deployed. 5 defenders and Bartley is not a yes from me at easter road, even more so in a league cup tie. Should have gave holt a break after the astro-turf and let keatings, boyle and jason run at them.

JimBHibees
10-08-2016, 05:41 AM

You just need to look at the bench to see that was the case. A couple of key injuries Fyvie and Dylan and we looked way short in midfield also.

CRAZYHIBBY
10-08-2016, 06:41 AM
Same problem as last season..all over them,had chance after chance and failed to take them......we need more than a striker and I'm utterly flummoxed by the lack of signings......do we even have money for signings?

The Leith Dutch
10-08-2016, 06:49 AM
standing beside their marker holding hands...

Sorry, not a great time but this did make me laugh :)

Sir David Gray
10-08-2016, 12:45 PM
We also require extra quality in midfield, especially if McGeouch and Fyvie are going to continue to lack fitness.

Apart from Boyle, we had very few options available to come off the bench last night.

BSEJVT
10-08-2016, 12:54 PM

But you are wrong

I made those very points last week and got hammered by some on this board for heresy

Smartie
10-08-2016, 12:58 PM
We also require extra quality in midfield, especially if McGeouch and Fyvie are going to continue to lack fitness.

Apart from Boyle, we had very few options available to come off the bench last night.

I thought we had plenty of options - we just chose not to use them.

We're not talking about 17 year old laddies with no first team experience taking up spaces on the bench here.

Moulin Yarns
10-08-2016, 01:03 PM
A few ideas

Matt Rhead -Lincoln City

James Norwood - Tranmere

Wes York - Gateshead

all seem to be doing well this season

thebakerboy
10-08-2016, 01:03 PM
Sorry but our main priority is in the striking department because if Cummings doesnt score we have no one else scoring regularly. Keatings played OK last night but the best part of his game was his delivery from set pieces last night. Ask any manager and you need at least 4 strikers at any level in football.
Think problems late on last night were because we tried to chase the game and everyone was going for it. I think with the young guys and 4 decent centre backs we are fairly well covered at the back and with Handling McGeouch and Fyvie not available last night we may have cover in midfield especially if Henderson does return. Goals win games and that is the one part of the game we do not do well enough.

Edson Arantes
10-08-2016, 02:21 PM
Stokes is going to be sorely missed I'm afraid.

Sir David Gray
10-08-2016, 05:47 PM
I thought we had plenty of options - we just chose not to use them.

We're not talking about 17 year old laddies with no first team experience taking up spaces on the bench here.

None who I thought were likely to come and change the game though.

Stanton and Harris haven't really done it at first team level, whilst I like the look of Martin he's still very raw and Forster is a defender.

I can't remember who else was on our bench last night but it's definitely weaker than last season when we had the likes of Gunnarsson, Keatings and Henderson on the bench.

Smartie
10-08-2016, 06:30 PM
None who I thought were likely to come and change the game though.

Stanton and Harris haven't really done it at first team level, whilst I like the look of Martin he's still very raw and Forster is a defender.

I can't remember who else was on our bench last night but it's definitely weaker than last season when we had the likes of Gunnarsson, Keatings and Henderson on the bench.

I still think they're all good enough to help against Queen of the South.

It was actually some of our best players who were letting us down and playing really badly last night.

A tactical tweak to help the likes of McGinn and McGregor out would (might - I don't have any way of knowing really) have helped them.

Anyone out of Boyle, Carmichael and Harris could have gone on and played wide midfield - less need for Gray and Stevenson to get forward, more of an out-ball for McGinn and keeping Gray back helps McGregor defensively.

Keatings could have gone on up front and either Stanton or Martin could have gone on and been a more orthodox midfielder - also fresh legs to get up and down the park when Queens break.

Yes, the players we had last season were better but that doesn't mean these players aren't good enough. They've all done well for other clubs against the likes of Queens (and in Harris' case for them).

I'm fed up watching our first team flounder, we don't give fringe players a decent run out then somehow blaming those players who haven't been given a decent opportunity whilst turning a blind eye to the failings of our favourites.

hhibs
10-08-2016, 08:21 PM
Quite a few from range, and 3 sitters missed. Big difference between their chances and ours - we were made to work for them, we gifted them chances. They get time to build from back when they want to and our defenders invited pressure and dissolved any chance to open up space by pedantic passing. Stevenson, Gray, McGinn and the top 3 were badly guilty of "going forward" too early- running upfield and standing beside their marker holding hands... Not enough dynamic movement and we have to work far too hard to get goals because of that. We lose a goal and forget how to go from reverse into 1st.

In summary, last season again so far.

Yep at half time I thought Lennon must see this needs changing .............nope,same old ,same old ,new manager............ old failings.

New blood .............goal scorer needed !

Craig_in_Prague
10-08-2016, 08:29 PM
Its always the strikers fault we lose 3 goals against guff.

Heisenberg
10-08-2016, 08:35 PM
Let Stevenson and Gray get on with their main job of defending. Get some pace and width in attacking areas. Stop conceding goals start scoring more. Simple :greengrin

Blaster
10-08-2016, 08:47 PM
Yep at half time I thought Lennon must see this needs changing .............nope,same old ,same old ,new manager............ old failings.

New blood .............goal scorer needed !

Did you really think that at half time? I thought first half was good and really should have been minimum two ahead (Fontaine sitter) or three up (holt chance) amongst others

I do agree we had the our post half time slow start and a change should have been made around 60 mins

eastmainsmsh
10-08-2016, 08:55 PM
Jamie insall scores four earlier must give him a chance

hhibs
10-08-2016, 10:30 PM
Did you really think that at half time? I thought first half was good and really should have been minimum two ahead (Fontaine sitter) or three up (holt chance) amongst others

I do agree we had the our post half time slow start and a change should have been made around 60 mins

Yes Blaster ,I am afraid I did and by 55 minutes I was absolutely convinced we were in deepest ****.

No Physic ability, just decades of being a Hibee and the very sharp memories of our last few seasons...........unfortunately.

hibsbollah
10-08-2016, 10:40 PM
Malonga.

scoopyboy
10-08-2016, 10:41 PM
Jamie insall scores four earlier must give him a chance

Who was that against?

NUTTY PROFESSOR
10-08-2016, 11:06 PM
Who was that against?

I believe it was against Livingston 11-0 playing for the development squad.