PDA

View Full Version : Pogba signs for Man Utd

SteveHFC
09-08-2016, 12:04 AM
That's it been confirmed.

Football is ****ed. This is just the start of clubs paying ridiculous fees for players.

GreenNWhiteArmy
09-08-2016, 12:20 AM
Football has been ****ed for many years it just seems so much worse now. For me it was the change from the European Cup to the "champions league" and how that's evolved that was the catalyst. Following that you had the English leagues backed by BSkyB.

What man utd have done is just caught up with the real Madrid's and Barcelona's of the world by paying way over the top for a player that they believe can be a superstar. Shirt sales alone will cover the fee (although Adidas probably paid a significant portion of the deal to make it happen). If Pogba goes on to win premier league/champions league and Ballon D'or trophies then United will say the fee was worth it.

That being said, I do not agree with the sum paid and I've "supported" United for over 20 years

Hibernia&Alba
09-08-2016, 12:59 AM
£89 million. How many times over would that buy Hibs lock, stock and barrel? Football for the global mega clubs is a different sport now; their global income is massive and transfer fees/wages are like Monopoly money. You can bet your life Real Madrid will make sure their next big signing is the first £100 million player. It's a different reality.

HTD1875
09-08-2016, 01:10 AM
Ridiculous more of a TV show than a sport now at that level. Would rather follow a proper team.

cabbageandribs1875
09-08-2016, 01:37 AM
i don't want much for my team, best in this country would do me, sickens me the amount of money the big earners get especially when there's human beings dying of starvation :agree: i wouldn't even want hibs playing regularly in the group stages of champions league, with a small (in european terms)20,500 capacity i would be horrified at the admission prices we would have to pay to get the quality players needed to gain that success and we would have to be the plaything of a wealthy owner...no ta :bitchy: good luck to aston villa and west brom with their new chinese owners :aok:

3pm
09-08-2016, 06:36 AM
They did well to keep it so quiet.

Purehibee_MYB
09-08-2016, 06:42 AM
They did well to keep it so quiet.

Didn't even know they were after him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matty_f
09-08-2016, 06:47 AM
It was announced as a done deal on Manu.net wreaks ago, people just need to remember that these things can take time. :greengrin

CB_NO3
09-08-2016, 06:53 AM
Adidas are milking this. There is a promo video going around about his return with Pogba dancing about to some hip hop star from London wearing a Man Utd strip. Very cringey. Americanised rubbish.

Andy74
09-08-2016, 06:55 AM
That's it been confirmed.

Football is ****ed. This is just the start of clubs paying ridiculous fees for players.

It's not exactly the start of it. It's the way the market has gone.

Interestingly they reckon just in the first year he will generate over £40m in commercial income.

blaikie
09-08-2016, 06:57 AM
Adidas are milking this. There is a promo video going around about his return with Pogba dancing about to some hip hop star from London wearing a Man Utd strip. Very cringey. Americanised rubbish.

Even the red and black Chevy was cringeworthy

3pm
09-08-2016, 07:03 AM
I remember folk being shocked when Roy Keane went for £3.75m!

Michael
09-08-2016, 07:05 AM
Shame for Juve who have already blown it all on an ageing striker. When you look at it that way - United probably got the better deal!

Scouse Hibee
09-08-2016, 07:05 AM
How much did United sell him for?

3pm
09-08-2016, 07:07 AM

Juventus have made an £89m profit.....but I suspect you know that!!!

Michael
09-08-2016, 07:07 AM
Not even enough to buy Cummings!

Highland_Hibee
09-08-2016, 07:11 AM

£800k

We should have made an enquiry. Could have paid in installments.

CB_NO3
09-08-2016, 07:15 AM
Shame for Juve who have already blown it all on an ageing striker. When you look at it that way - United probably got the better deal!
Higuain still has 5 years at the top, especially in Italian football and is a goal machine.

Scouse Hibee
09-08-2016, 07:15 AM
Juventus have made an £89m profit.....but I suspect you know that!!!

No genuinely couldn't remember and haven't read much about it.

Tricla
09-08-2016, 07:23 AM
This type of thing is the main reason why I cant relate to and for the most part can't stand the EPL, CL, La Liga, Bundesliga etc. It's so far removed from reality.

Allant1981
09-08-2016, 07:27 AM
Most top end sports teams/franchises pay huge money for players now so not really much different from any other sport, is it right? Of course not but if the teams have the money and are daft enough to pay it then fire in, if i was a player id be playing for anyone if they offered me crazy money

Iain G
09-08-2016, 07:27 AM

Wrap around cover on the Metro today too, that was quick! Maybe whoever is at Adidas would like to help out promoting Scottish Football :agree:

DH1875
09-08-2016, 07:28 AM
£800k

We should have made an enquiry. Could have paid in installments.

Don't know why but I always thought he left them for nothing :confused:

Scouse Hibee
09-08-2016, 07:34 AM
Don't know why but I always thought he left them for nothing :confused:

I just googled the story and it says he left on a free transfer

hibsbollah
09-08-2016, 07:38 AM
I just googled the story and it says he left on a free transfer

If I remember right he left on a free and then it went to a tribunal where a 800,000 development fee was paid to man yoo.

BSEJVT
09-08-2016, 07:48 AM
I think the first time I realised football was really knackered was when Liverpool paid £8.5m for Collymore which was reputedly more than their Annual turnover at the time.

How the hell does that work (edit see Hearts and Rangers)

Mourinho made a decent point (heavily slanted in Utd's favour admittedly) when he said in not so many words crap players are going for over £10m that he wouldn't pay £500k for, where is the bigger risk?

My only sadness over the whole affair is that Hearts haven't been able to properly cash in on the series of players they have had that they valued at over £10m and had to let most of them go on Bosman's or free transfers.:faf:

easty
09-08-2016, 07:53 AM

An ageing striker? He's 28! He'll score loads for Juve.

staunchhibby
09-08-2016, 07:56 AM
That is obscene money.I think there should be cap on transfer fees.

easty
09-08-2016, 07:58 AM
It is silly amounts of money, but commercially he'll be worth a fortune to them, plus he could be the difference between winning a major trophy or ending up with noting.

Far less of a crazy deal, in my opinion, than Leicester looking to pay £17m for Burnley defender Michael Keane.

hibsbollah
09-08-2016, 08:01 AM
Might fill the Matty Jack role nicely.

Betty Boop
09-08-2016, 08:11 AM
The world's gone loco people are eating from food banks while football players are going for that kind of money.

easty
09-08-2016, 08:16 AM
The world's gone loco people are eating from food banks

Can any of them play football though?

Stevie Reid
09-08-2016, 08:24 AM
Keeping this purely in the context of transfer fees, I'm a lot more perplexed at the likes of Andre Ayew going to West Ham for £20.5M, or Jordan Ibe going to Bournemouth for £15M, than I am about Pogba going for that money.

NorthNorfolkHFC
09-08-2016, 08:34 AM
With stormzy announcing that transfer I wonder if Hibs could put something tongue in cheek together for hendo signing?

It would be very funny!!!

"A friend of mine once said he liked his women like his parmesan: strong smelling and shaved"

J-C
09-08-2016, 08:42 AM
Keeping this purely in the context of transfer fees, I'm a lot more perplexed at the likes of Andre Ayew going to West Ham for £20.5M, or Jordan Ibe going to Bournemouth for £15M, than I am about Pogba going for that money.

Surprised at that transfer, Ibe looked a real prospect this past season or so.

SeanWilson
09-08-2016, 08:59 AM
With stormzy announcing that transfer I wonder if Hibs could put something tongue in cheek together for hendo signing?

It would be very funny!!!

"A friend of mine once said he liked his women like his parmesan: strong smelling and shaved"

Please NO!

SeanWilson
09-08-2016, 09:00 AM
Surprised at that transfer, Ibe looked a real prospect this past season or so.

Not good enough. Went from a prospect to bit part if lucky under a real manager within weeks.

Bleeds green
09-08-2016, 09:36 AM
I remember when zidane signed for Madrid a decade or so for 50 million football was supposedly goosed still going strong though! Bale Ronaldo both went for similar sums no big deal if they are successful which all three mentioned have been

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lancs Harp
09-08-2016, 10:10 AM
To the likes of me and you the money in the game is ridiculous.

I read an interesting article regarding the Pogba transfer recently. The fee United have just paid for him as a percentage of their turnover, is less than the percentage of turnover that they paid in setting a British record for Rio Ferdinand and less of a percentage of turnover that they paid for Veron around that time too (that may have been a record too, cant remember).

In essence they can afford to pay that sort of money...... easily.

Alex Trager
09-08-2016, 10:17 AM
I don't think i have ever seen him play well. I have never watched him and thought he is one of the best midfielders in the world. I havent seen much of him playing mind you.

Hamish
09-08-2016, 10:20 AM
And that's another Lennon target not coming now as John Stones signs for City for 47.5 million.

Godsahibby
09-08-2016, 11:04 AM
And that's another Lennon target not coming now as John Stones signs for City for 47.5 million.

The world has gone effin mad, £47.5m or a half decent defender following a very poor season!

SteveHFC
09-08-2016, 11:07 AM

You have to laugh tbh :faf:

Carheenlea
09-08-2016, 11:08 AM
If Hibs had signed Pogba this window I would have been scratching my head and asking "who?"
Genuinely have never heard of the guy, and further confirmation that I'm not really that big a fan of football nowadays. Certainly not a knowledgable one!

TheGreenMan
09-08-2016, 11:15 AM
Money is far too top heavy and purely focused on the EPL. Sky paying £100m to the worst team in the league now? When they throw us crumbs. Can anything be done to help get the Scottish game back to a level where we can at least compete with Championship clubs? I think theveryone gap is too big even for that to be closed now

Hibernia&Alba
09-08-2016, 11:29 AM
£47.5 million for Stones is huge money, but it's nothing to City. They paid £50 million for Sterling on the off chance it might work, but haven't batted an eyelid about his terrible form. It's a different world.

lapsedhibee
09-08-2016, 11:29 AM
If Hibs had signed Pogba this window I would have been scratching my head and asking "who?"
Genuinely have never heard of the guy

He's Partick's Matty Pogba's wee brother. How much must Matty be worth if his wee brother, untested at SPFL Premiership level, cost £89m?

Hibernia&Alba
09-08-2016, 11:37 AM
Genuinely have never heard of the guy, and further confirmation that I'm not really that big a fan of football nowadays. Certainly not a knowledgable one!

He's top class; though of course he should be for that money. Like Yaya Toure only better: box to box midfielder and a beast. As a United fan, I'm very pleased to see him return to Old Trafford, but it's all Hollywood at the really big clubs now; like going to the cinema, it's escapism from real life.

J-C
09-08-2016, 11:39 AM
The world has gone effin mad, £47.5m or a half decent defender following a very poor season!

TBF he is a very classy ball playing CH who played in a Martinez no defence coaching football team, every defender in any of Martinez's teams have been hung out to dry because he doesn't prepare his defences properly.

GloryGlory
09-08-2016, 11:40 AM
I remember folk being shocked when Roy Keane went for £3.75m!

I remember folk being shocked when Trevor Francis went for £1 million! :greengrin

Hibernia&Alba
09-08-2016, 11:46 AM
I remember folk being shocked when Trevor Francis went for £1 million! :greengrin

Tor Andre Flo to Old Rangers for £12 million was the best ever. It's no wonder they went down the tubes :faf: :lolrangers:

matty_f
09-08-2016, 11:47 AM
Money is far too top heavy and purely focused on the EPL. Sky paying £100m to the worst team in the league now? When they throw us crumbs. Can anything be done to help get the Scottish game back to a level where we can at least compete with Championship clubs? I think theveryone gap is too big even for that to be closed now
We will never get on that level now, we needed to get better at marketing or game for what it is though.

Scottish football is much better than it's given credit for. The Championship has been really exciting, the play offs work well - even the much maligned split in the top flight works for generating excitement.

The problem is the game isn't marketed anywhere near as well as it should be. It's all the same guff about the Old Firm, but even then none of it is done with any originality.

Today Sky have more or less wall to wall coverage of Pogba, and well they should - they plowed the money into the EPL to give them a product that people wanted to watch worldwide so they have to generate the excitement for it. Sky Sports News is a 24/7 advert for the EPL.

What do we get pushed out from the Scottish game for the Sinclair transfer (huge in today's game in Scotland?) - nowt?! At best a few tank YouTube videos.

We rely on BBC Scotland's Sportsound on the radio to generate interest through the week, it's ****ing dark ages stuff, and that's not a criticism of Sportsound /- it's a reflection on the state of things.

Between that and the state of Sportscene at the weekend (the decision to drop the Championship on the opening day of the season was criminal, and if the SPFL had any balls they'd have insisted on coverage as part of any TV deal), we don't give the game a chance to thrive the way it should.

Craig_HFC
09-08-2016, 11:48 AM
Everton have sold John Stones to Man City for £47.5M & replaced him with Ashley Williams from Swansea for £12M.

Excellent business by the Toffees.

nellio
09-08-2016, 12:06 PM
Everton have sold John Stones to Man City for £47.5M & replaced him with Ashley Williams from Swansea for £12M.

Williams is a bit older but is still a fantastic player. If Ash Williams was Stones age he would have a much bigger fee but he still has a good few years left in him yet.

Andy74
09-08-2016, 12:06 PM

Short term possibly but Stones is going to be a top centre half for the next ten years. The market is only going up as well.

Diclonius
09-08-2016, 12:54 PM
Wonder how many hospitals we could have built with that money? Affordable housing? Job creation? Nah, let's just spend it on one guy who's ok at kicking a ball. Capitalism at its finest.

Craig_HFC
09-08-2016, 12:57 PM
Wonder how many hospitals we could have built with that money? Affordable housing? Job creation? Nah, let's just spend it on one guy who's ok at kicking a ball. Capitalism at its finest.

I don't understand this argument... why would Manchester United (or any football club for that matter) build hospitals or houses?

Dashing Bob S
09-08-2016, 01:13 PM
I don't understand this argument... why would Manchester United (or any football club for that matter) build hospitals or houses?

That's the crux of the matter. Nobody is forcing people to take out the TV subscriptions that fuel this madness. People would rather rack up debt than give up their Sky/BT football packages.

But it does have a 'last days of Rome' feel about it. As the economy continues to tank and credit runs out, the whole stinking edifice will start to crumble.

Scott Allan Key
09-08-2016, 01:17 PM
Man Utd had Sir David Gray on their books. How much is HE worth now?

Iain G
09-08-2016, 01:47 PM

You'd struggle to build a hospital for £89m these days! But that's not the point is it really and is far too simplistic.

The taxes from the fee and his wages and the taxes Man U pay each year (now increased as their sales will be well up) will help contribute to the economy, its not as if that £89m was just sitting around waiting to be spent on something else.

Yes the numbers are crazy on their own, in the context of what Man Utd turnover each year and the expected uplift in income from shirt sales etc, it makes perfects sense to them and they will make a return on their investment.

Allant1981
09-08-2016, 01:54 PM

How is it any different to a business expanding and trying to earn more money? They have spent this money in the hope he helps wins things which means they get more money in, granted it may not work out that way but thats how businesses run and clubs like man utd, man city etc are just that, so arguing that this money could have built hospitals etc is true but would you say it of it was m&s for example

CapitalGreen
09-08-2016, 01:55 PM

Were you calling for Hibs to fund Hospitals when they received £10m for player sales in the space of a year or is there a certain threshold when football clubs should begin funding the responsibilities of government?

CropleyWasGod
09-08-2016, 01:57 PM
Were you calling for Hibs to fund Hospitals when they received £10m for player sales in the space of a year or is there a certain threshold when football clubs should begin funding the responsibilities of government?

We did have our own wing at Murrayfield, to be fair. Wasn't it permanently the Chris Killen ward?

:greengrin

grammyb111
09-08-2016, 02:01 PM
With Kodi now you don't need to pay for Sky Sports, if it continues that way the bubble will burst pretty quickly, I for one hope it does...

J-C
09-08-2016, 02:55 PM
With Kodi now you don't need to pay for Sky Sports, if it continues that way the bubble will burst pretty quickly, I for one hope it does...

Only if you can get a bloody link on Kodi that actually works. :confused:

Pete
09-08-2016, 03:26 PM
If this is the going rate, his older broke who plays for Partick should be worth double that. Minimum.

MWHIBBIES
09-08-2016, 03:28 PM
Wonder how many hospitals we could have built with that money? Affordable housing? Job creation? Nah, let's just spend it on one guy who's ok at kicking a ball. Capitalism at its finest.:faf:

Scouse Hibee
09-08-2016, 03:55 PM

Stones was one of Evertons worst defenders last season according to a couple of ST holding Blue mates. Has the potential to be something special but far from it at the moment

Craig_HFC
09-08-2016, 04:04 PM
Stones was one of Evertons worst defenders last season according to a couple of ST holding Blue mates. Has the potential to be something special but far from it at the moment

Vastly overrated. Most young English players who show a glimmer of potential are though.

grammyb111
09-08-2016, 04:05 PM
Only if you can get a bloody link on Kodi that actually works. :confused:

Never not been able to find one, Pheonix or SportsDevil always has them.

blackpoolhibs
09-08-2016, 04:20 PM
Kodi is not bad but unreliable, the zgemma box is much much better and stable, IPTV looks as though that will be the next big thing for the pirates.

Sky need to do something very drastic and clever to stop them, i personally don't think they can.

As for Pogba, never thought he was that special, certainly not an 89m player.