PDA

View Full Version : Lennon and the defence

Finn2015
07-08-2016, 09:09 AM
Still early days but so far, we seem to have really tightened up at the back and look more cohesive as a defensive unit. Really impressed me again yesterday and while we conceded, the goal was just one of those impressive strikes that happen and apart from that, I think we dealt with everything they threw at us pretty well. The Lennon factor may already be working!

col02
07-08-2016, 09:19 AM
Lennon and his staff made Ambrose look half decent at Celtic. Think once the keeper situation is sorted out the defence will be solid.

brog
07-08-2016, 09:27 AM
Bairns scored with 1/2 shots on target. Good job The Ox is away or he'd be getting slaughtered! :wink:

Baldy Foghorn
07-08-2016, 09:27 AM
Really like Lennon from what I have seen so far. A born winner.

fulshie
07-08-2016, 09:32 AM
Really like Lennon from what I have seen so far. A born winner. He certainly is!

Jdawg
07-08-2016, 09:49 AM
Lennon and his staff made Ambrose look half decent at Celtic. Think once the keeper situation is sorted out the defence will be solid.

Although a bit early to say, seems a bit harsh on Laidlaw? We also now have an international goalkeeper on loan.

147lothian
07-08-2016, 10:50 AM
Still early days but so far, we seem to have really tightened up at the back and look more cohesive as a defensive unit. Really impressed me again yesterday and while we conceded, the goal was just one of those impressive strikes that happen and apart from that, I think we dealt with everything they threw at us pretty well. The Lennon factor may already be working!

The Lennon factor seems to be working for me, it seems like were keeping possession but playing the ball quicker in a system where each player appears to know their role in the team, take the signing Holt when I first hears about this 35 year old I was underwhelmed, until I saw the highly impressive role he plays in the team, I trust Lennon to bring us the right signings in this transfer window but patience may be required right up transfer deadline day but ultimately I see Lennon as the right man to get us out of this division

J-C
07-08-2016, 11:07 AM
They mentioned on Sportsound that Lennon uses zonal marking and Craig Paterson said he preferred it to man for man as the latter had you dragged all over the place, whereas zonal you pick up whoever is in your area and you concentrate on attacking the ball to clear it.

Heisenberg
07-08-2016, 11:15 AM
Lennon has already spotted a key weakness from last season in that we drop off once we've scored and allow pressure to build on our goal. Hopefully he gets that sorted asap as it cost us so many goal last season.

Eyrie
07-08-2016, 11:50 AM
Bairns scored with 1/2 shots on target. Good job The Ox is away or he'd be getting slaughtered! :wink:

And that slaughtering would be done by people who haven't seen their goal yet. It was an excellent strike into the top corner that would have beaten any keeper.

Consensus so far on Laidlaw is that he's a very good keeper and deserves to be the #1, which makes you look forward to seeing just how good Marciano is to be guaranteed the jersey.

Iggy Pope
07-08-2016, 01:46 PM
And that slaughtering would be done by people who haven't seen their goal yet. It was an excellent strike into the top corner that would have beaten any keeper.

Consensus so far on Laidlaw is that he's a very good keeper and deserves to be the #1, which makes you look forward to seeing just how good Marciano is to be guaranteed the jersey.

Now. I'm not here to slaughter anyone and I like the look of Laidlaw. But that strike yesterday wasn't anything like you could describe as top corner. And I had just about as good a view of it as the keeper did, trust me. I think Sibbald struck it marvellously well and that took Laidlaw by surprise. If he'd been ready, he might have saved it. He isn't getting blame from me on this, but it wasn't a top corner worldy that beat him. Shoulder height at best.

Borderhibbie76
07-08-2016, 01:58 PM

Did anyone see the second goal oxley conceded yesterday for Southend- due to him sticking to his line again - Laidlaw was great at coming and claiming crosses yesterday in 2nd half when Falkirk were putting some pressure on us

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

col02
07-08-2016, 02:02 PM
Although a bit early to say, seems a bit harsh on Laidlaw? We also now have an international goalkeeper on loan.

It was no slight on Laidlaw who I like. I was meaning in the context of an understanding developing between the defence and goalie that takes time. Fwiw I envisage Lennon to rotate our players more than Stubbs.

Iggy Pope
07-08-2016, 02:03 PM
Did anyone see the second goal oxley conceded yesterday for Southend- due to him sticking to his line again - Laidlaw was great at coming and claiming crosses yesterday in 2nd half when Falkirk were putting some pressure on us

100%

staunchhibby
07-08-2016, 02:07 PM
Ffs give oxley peace he has gone from us.Some people just cant let it lie

Iggy Pope
07-08-2016, 02:14 PM

Also, 100%

The Captain....
07-08-2016, 02:17 PM
Was interesting to hear Lennon saying he was unhappy with how deep the defence sat at the start of the game. He obviously wants us to be very compact and positive even in our defending. Wasn't happy with us handing the iniative to Falkirk after the first goal and inviting pressure either.

He's going to demand very high standards from the whole team, we can only keep improving if we keep working away as we seem to have been in close season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eyrie
07-08-2016, 02:39 PM
Now. I'm not here to slaughter anyone and I like the look of Laidlaw. But that strike yesterday wasn't anything like you could describe as top corner. And I had just about as good a view of it as the keeper did, trust me. I think Sibbald struck it marvellously well and that took Laidlaw by surprise. If he'd been ready, he might have saved it. He isn't getting blame from me on this, but it wasn't a top corner worldy that beat him. Shoulder height at best.

Fair enough - I could only comment on how it looked on Hibs TV.

Borderhibbie76
07-08-2016, 02:45 PM
I defended Oxley most of last season was just commenting I noticed a difference yesterday with our goalie commanding his six yard box and the goal Ox conceded yesterday was symptomatic of us last season - soz for expressing an opinion but that's what forums are all about is it not???

Wee Effen Bee
07-08-2016, 02:50 PM

So you are blaming Laidlaw for the goal then?

Big L
07-08-2016, 03:22 PM
I think it's great to have a back-up like Laidlaw, providing Marciano is the knockout we expect. It's probably the best position we have been in goalie wise for a long time. GGTTH

J-C
07-08-2016, 03:24 PM

He's saying it was at a height were it could be saved but he's not putting any blame on the keeper as it was a well struck shot and caught him unawares.

Pretty Boy
07-08-2016, 03:26 PM
I don't think Laidlaw could do much about that strike yesterday. I was right behind it and not only did Sibbald hit it early but it was trvaelling at pace and moved in the air.

If we must do the Oxley thing I'd compare it to the 2nd goal he lost to Rangers in the game after the semi final. I said those who thought Oxley should have saved that were wrong and those thinking Laidlaw should have saved that yesterday are, imo, wrong as well.

superfurryhibby
07-08-2016, 03:28 PM
Keatings should have done more to cover their number 10. Lack of awareness from him. The guy received the pass in acres of space and that was poor. Great strike and no blame attached to the keeper. Maybe saveable if you're world class. It was the sheer pace on the ball that mattered, not the height of the strike.

Mr White
07-08-2016, 03:33 PM
Keatings should have done more to cover their number 10. Lack of awareness from him. The guy received the pass in acres of space and that was poor. Great strike and no blame attached to the keeper. Maybe saveable if you're world class. It was the sheer pace on the ball that mattered, not the height of the strike.

Agree with this. The mistake was allowing Sibbald too much space in a dangerous area. He took advantage with a great strike that Laidlaw had little chance with from what I've seen.

Dashing Bob S
07-08-2016, 06:22 PM
I think we look pacier. Keatings, Cummings and McGinn particularly, seemed to have added a yard since last season. Obviously, I could be wrong as it's just the start of the season and last years was a long campaign, but this is my distinct impression.

WhileTheChief..
07-08-2016, 07:14 PM
Just watched Lennon's interview on Hibs TV - love the man!!

Talks so much sense, full of confidence and knows exaclty what's needed. I have never felt so good about the start of a season as I do about this one. Brilliant bit of business getting him in.

On another note he's quoted in the SoS saying it would take up to £5M for him to let JC go and says time is now of the essence regarding bringing new faces in.

Everything just feels good about Hibs the now :thumbsup:

Iggy Pope
07-08-2016, 07:25 PM

Nah. Lots of goalies get beaten at shoulder height. I'm sure you've been to a game where you've seen one?

Iggy Pope
07-08-2016, 07:31 PM

Wasn't a world class strike though and wasn't top corner either, agreed? That's all about the height really. I'm still not blaming him for losing the goal. It was a fair strike and a goal. That is that.

Iggy Pope
07-08-2016, 07:32 PM
He's saying it was at a height were it could be saved but he's not putting any blame on the keeper as it was a well struck shot and caught him unawares.

I am. Ta.

Finn2015
07-08-2016, 07:34 PM
Was right behind the goal yesterday and my first reaction was that laidlaw was a bit leaden footed but may be unfair watching it back. Still think he was solid overall and an encouraging start

Iggy Pope
07-08-2016, 07:42 PM
Was right behind the goal yesterday and my first reaction was that laidlaw was a bit leaden footed but may be unfair watching it back. Still think he was solid overall and an encouraging start

Me too and can't disagree. I'm the one in the green polo battering back into my seat right behind the No '4' of the 01324 advertising hoarding to the right of the goal. Clear view. Got a **** view of Cummings first but a great look at the equaliser and was out my seat as soon as the 2nd left Cummings' boot.

brog
07-08-2016, 07:45 PM

I was being a bit naughty mentioning Oxley. So far I'm very happy with Ross L & at the moment it's his jersey to lose.

B.H.F.C
07-08-2016, 07:47 PM

Thought the same. Was a fair hit and looked like it moved a bit but I thought he was slow to move at first.

Still, he's been pretty solid and how well he has done has been a complete bonus because I really had no expectations at all when he signed. Will provide decent backup as/when required.

superfurryhibby
07-08-2016, 08:02 PM
Wasn't a world class strike though and wasn't top corner either, agreed? That's all about the height really. I'm still not blaming him for losing the goal. It was a fair strike and a goal. That is that.

Actually, I thought it was a magnificent strike of he ball, he totally lashed it. It would have been an even more magnificent save to have kept it out, in my opinion if that's OK?

Pace on a shoot, regardless of it's height or top corner makes it hard for a keeper to react. On that basis
I too have no issues with keeper losing that goal.

My second point was that it could have been defended better earlier. That failure was much more significant than the keepers effort. That is fact.

Iggy Pope
07-08-2016, 08:12 PM
Actually, I thought it was a magnificent strike of he ball, he totally lashed it. It would have been an even more magnificent save to have kept it out, in my opinion if that's OK?

Pace on a shoot, regardless of it's height or top corner makes it hard for a keeper to react. On that basis
I too have no issues with keeper losing that goal.

My second point was that it could have been defended better earlier. That failure was much more significant than the keepers effort. That is fact.

Magnificence? My word. I doubt even Houston is using such hyperbole.
I'm ok to have your opinion if you're ok with mine about the height it went in at. That's where I came in after all. It wasn't the top corner. Agreed? Twice I've asked.
And I'm not blaming the man for conceding the goal. I know that to be fact.

Your opinion is now fact though? Nah. Not likely.

Finn2015
07-08-2016, 08:27 PM
Me too and can't disagree. I'm the one in the green polo battering back into my seat right behind the No '4' of the 01324 advertising hoarding to the right of the goal. Clear view. Got a **** view of Cummings first but a great look at the equaliser and was out my seat as soon as the 2nd left Cummings' boot.

Will look out for you when I look at the highlights again. I was in row E just behind the goal

superfurryhibby
07-08-2016, 08:28 PM
Magnificence? My word. I doubt even Houston is using such hyperbole.
I'm ok to have your opinion if you're ok with mine about the height it went in at. That's where I came in after all. It wasn't the top corner. Agreed? Twice I've asked.
And I'm not blaming the man for conceding the goal. I know that to be fact.

Your opinion is now fact though? Nah. Not likely.

I have said twice that the height it went in, in my opinion, was irrelevant and that it was the pace of the strike that mattered. Not really getting why that it hard to grasp for you, but crack on with the top corner thing. I for one have never mentioned it. You yourslf said it as a "marvellous" strike though, to use another bit of commonplace football hyperbole.

My point is that the keeper looked slow to react because the ball was so well struck. Quite simple really and
My opinion as fact is as about as valid as your that is that.

Iggy Pope
07-08-2016, 08:42 PM
I have said twice that the height it went in, in my opinion, was irrelevant and that it was the pace of the strike that mattered. Not really getting why that it hard to grasp for you, but crack on with the top corner thing. I for one have never mentioned it. You yourslf said it as a "marvellous" strike though, to use another bit of commonplace football hyperbole.

My point is that the keeper looked slow to react because the ball was so well struck. Quite simple really and
My opinion as fact is as about as valid as your that is that.

My first reply was to a poster stating that it went in top corner. That is where I came in, as I have said already, but you're not reading that. That's what I'm cracking on about pal. It went in at the goalies shoulder height. As I have said. That is indeed, a fact. That is where the 'relevance' in my part of this discussion lies. You've had a look back and seen the bit you fancy quoting but not the relevant bit. It was a marvellous strike but hardly magnificent. It was a goal. Laidlaw might have saved it. He didn't. If he had? Marvellous. That really is that. I've got a grasp. Now leave it please like I'm going to as you're boring the tits off me. Thanks.

Iggy Pope
07-08-2016, 08:43 PM
Will look out for you when I look at the highlights again. I was in row E just behind the goal

Row bloody A. Not great and tickets bought at 10.30 on the first morning.

SRHibs
07-08-2016, 08:50 PM
Marvellous and magnificent are the same level of superlative.

superfurryhibby
07-08-2016, 08:52 PM
[QUOTE=Iggy Pope;4784668]My first reply was to a poster stating that it went in top corner. That is where I came in, as I have said already, but you're not reading that. That's what I'm cracking on about pal. It went in at the goalies shoulder height. As I have said. That is indeed, a fact. That is where the 'relevance' in my part of this discussion lies. You've had a look back and seen the bit you fancy quoting but not the relevant bit. It was a marvellous strike but hardly magnificent. It was a goal. Laidlaw might have saved it. He didn't. If he had? Marvellous. That really is that. I've got a grasp. Now leave it please like I'm going to as you're boring the tits off me. Thanks.[/QUOTE

I don't care what another poster said, I was giving my own view and made my opinion quite clear. You choose to ignore that and cracked on regardless. Now go and make another arguement elsewhere, attention seeker.

tamig
07-08-2016, 09:21 PM

Indeed - don't see too much of a difference tbh.

Iggy Pope
08-08-2016, 04:49 PM

Perhaps you might see it that way, I don't but I'm done with the digression and off to seek some attention. Good enough goal, but not unstoppable. We move on to tomorrow and a clean sheet would be just the job.

Finn2015
10-08-2016, 06:47 AM
Did I speak to soon😳

SonOfDavidFrancey
10-08-2016, 07:53 AM

I.e. Not superlatives at all, grammatically speaking like