PDA

View Full Version : QOS Tuesday: Full Strength or Rotate?

Dashing Bob S
07-08-2016, 08:36 AM
Without being arrogant and dissing the LC, I think Lennon will rotate so that we are at full strength v DAFC. Would perhaps expect to see Harris and Stanton feature as well as one development youngster, maybe Crane.

lucky
07-08-2016, 08:42 AM
Too early in the season to be rotating. NL is a winner and will try to win the LC. The difference this year is the final is before Xmas. We've only played 3 competive games. The least of any team in Scotland at this moment. So no need to rotate

smithy_hibees
07-08-2016, 08:45 AM
Depends on how you look at it..

Fringe players done well against Birmingham.. Was a pre season friendly I know but done well..

I think he'll mix it up, Forster, Cane maybe couple others but don't think he'll change to much, it's only the start of the season so players should be fresh and he'll want to keep the confidence high after Falkirk

Nicho87
I would be amazed if players like forster, boyle, carmichael, new goalie dont play, leagues the priority, give the fringe players a chance to impress against decent opposition.

B.H.F.C
Full strength and build momentum. Only leave players out if they have a picked up a knock or are struggling.

No league game scheduled for the first week in September, but think we enter the challenge cup then and its that weekend. I'd use that to give other players game time.

Ronniekirk
07-08-2016, 08:47 AM
Without being arrogant and dissing the LC, I think Lennon will rotate so that we are at full strength v DAFC. Would perhaps expect to see Harris and Stanton feature as well as one development youngster, maybe Crane.

Another artificial pitch so Players with any niggle will get a rest possibly and agree he may want to give game time to promising youngsters
I think he will have made his mind up about harris and stanton by now whether keepiing or tryin to offload them but Carmichael deserves more game time to see if he can be first team squad player imo

The Captain....
07-08-2016, 08:55 AM
Wouldn't imagine Holt will play as its a big ask after 90 mins on an artificial surface to play a few days later.

I think Boyle will come in and maybe Harris..possibly Forster for Fontaine also and the new keeper.

Lennon will definitely make a few changes, the squad didn't let him down in pre season so he'll have plenty confidence in those coming in.

Regardless I'm really looking forward to the game. Was a great atmosphere and positivity in the stands yesterday and I can't wait to get back to ER on Tuesday. If you're swithering and can afford it get along and enjoy this team..they deserve our support.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IanM
07-08-2016, 08:55 AM
Another artificial pitch so Players with any niggle will get a rest possibly and agree he may want to give game time to promising youngsters
I think he will have made his mind up about harris and stanton by now whether keepiing or tryin to offload them but Carmichael deserves more game time to see if he can be first team squad player imo

Agree but we're at home on Tueaday

Full team for me, Lennon was right in Saying there's improvement needed and only going to get that from playing together

The Captain....
07-08-2016, 08:56 AM
Dupe post

Finn2015
07-08-2016, 08:57 AM
Aye think the likes of Boyle, Forster and Harris will be worth a start

Ozyhibby
07-08-2016, 09:13 AM
Full strength. There are only max 4 games in the Leaugue cup this year and it's all done by Xmas.
It wasn't cup runs that undid us last season, it was an inability to score enough goals to finish teams off.
Winning silverware is what it's all about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NORTHERNHIBBY
07-08-2016, 09:17 AM
Play the winning team. Only one game in so match fitness is still not there.

we are hibs
07-08-2016, 09:19 AM
Cummings has to start. He's bang in form right now and resting him would be a bad move and may disrupt his momentum

Tamhere1875
07-08-2016, 09:21 AM
Rotate

supermcginn
07-08-2016, 09:25 AM
Full strength no question

NadeAteMyLunch!
07-08-2016, 09:26 AM
I've got £5 on the treble so full strength please

Brightside
07-08-2016, 09:35 AM

artificial? its at easter rd...

Ronniekirk
07-08-2016, 10:29 AM
artificial? its at easter rd...

Oops thought it was away

ShinyFantastic
07-08-2016, 10:29 AM
Full strength without question. The day we are resting players in the league cup to focus on a game against Dunfermline is the day I give up...

J-C
07-08-2016, 10:45 AM
He'll go to a 4-4-2/4-3-3 keeping a solid core from yesterday but bringing in the players from the bench, Stanton, Boyle, Carmichael and Forster.

Pretty Boy
07-08-2016, 10:57 AM
Full strength.

LC will be done and dusted long before the business end of the season. The Challenge Cup is the one to rest players in. More games rather than less is probably more beneficial this early in the season anyway.

Greenworld
07-08-2016, 11:17 AM
We're 1 game into the season guys are still getting to full fitness.. ( Lennon said that) I don't see loads of changes at this stage but the league is priority so why not try a few different players ..

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Steve-O
07-08-2016, 11:22 AM
Lets try and win both cups in the same year.

If it hadn't been for our last minute disaster in March we could've been looking at 3 cups in one year :greengrin

adhibs
07-08-2016, 11:22 AM
should be able to make 3 or 4 changes and still be pretty comfortable

CRAZYHIBBY
07-08-2016, 11:23 AM
We should be looking to win every game

Northernhibee
07-08-2016, 11:42 AM
Only priority is winning the league. Put out fringe and youth players, our schedule last season was what killed our momentum.

3pm
07-08-2016, 11:42 AM
I think there may be 2 or 3 changes.

If the goalie is th number 1 it makes sense to play him.

Northernhibee
07-08-2016, 11:44 AM
We should be looking to win every game

I'd add the caveat of "in the league". The only acceptable outcome this season is winning the league, a league cup win wouldn't make up for missing that.

blackpoolhibs
07-08-2016, 11:56 AM
We should play as near a full strength team as possible, winning cups is what its all about, and we can win this one.

Of course the league in our number 1 priority, but the next game is the most important one.

We are in the 2nd tier, and lets be honest here, there are games coming up where we can rest and rotate a couple of players at a time because of the quality of the opposition we are playing.

NAE NOOKIE
07-08-2016, 12:07 PM
My guess is that he will start with the new keeper if his papers are through ... though from what I hear Laidlaw did himself no harm whatsoever on Saturday.

That aside he will definitely play Fyvie or McGeouch or both if they are fit .... from what I saw against Birmingham, friendly or not, I would have no problem if any one of Crane, Boyle, Forster, Carmichael and Harris started .... Lennon himself has admitted that Holt is unlikely to be able to play every game this season, in which case he could well be on the bench.

I know the theory is to keep a winning team together, but we started against Falkirk with two of our best midfielders missing, so it may have been a winning team, but not our best team. That aside, anybody with even a small injury should be kept out of this one .... it would be great to do well in the cups again this season ..... but the league is EVERYTHING.

Eyrie
07-08-2016, 12:12 PM
We have a serious problem with our squad if we can't beat QotS at home with three or four changes from yesterday and the guys rested being on the bench if required.

Bringing in Marciano, Forster, Crane, Bartley, McGeouch, Fyvie, Carmichael or Boyle won't weaken us.

Onion
07-08-2016, 12:15 PM
I'd add the caveat of "in the league". The only acceptable outcome this season is winning the league, a league cup win wouldn't make up for missing that.

:agree: We've killed the Hampden Hoodoo, silenced the 1902ers, seriously upset the SFA/media by winning the Cup and having the greatest day at Hampden EVER :greengrin

Lennon should use the cups this season to help player fitness, rest tired legs, try new formations and stick 2 digits up to Regan by playing a Hibs Select XI. Without Hibs, the Scottish Cup is nothing :flag:

erin go bragh
07-08-2016, 12:21 PM
Full strength for me . Winning breeds winners . We have the momentum, so keep playing our strongest team.

cleanyman
07-08-2016, 12:22 PM
We should be looking to win it.

Rotate the squad for the challenge cup

Franck Stanton
07-08-2016, 01:23 PM
Hang on here, when I pay cash to see a show at the theater I want to see the stars of the production, not the understudies just because the stars were on stage for the preceding few nights and may be "tired". Costs just as much to see this game as any other, get the best team available on the pitch. Or have we turned into yams who claim "It's only the WEE CUP anyway". It is one of only three major competitions in Scottish football, play the strongest team possible.

Dashing Bob S
07-08-2016, 01:27 PM
We have a serious problem with our squad if we can't beat QotS at home with three or four changes from yesterday and the guys rested being on the bench if required.

Bringing in Marciano, Forster, Crane, Bartley, McGeouch, Fyvie, Carmichael or Boyle won't weaken us.

I go along with this. Nobody is suggesting we play a development squad, merely utilize the pool. I'm sure Lennon will still be figuring out his best side and this gives him an opportunity to see what others can do.

Mikey
07-08-2016, 01:31 PM
I know the group games that were level at 90 mins went straight to penalties, but it is back to normal now with ET and then penalties?

NAE NOOKIE
07-08-2016, 01:43 PM
Hang on here, when I pay cash to see a show at the theater I want to see the stars of the production, not the understudies just because the stars were on stage for the preceding few nights and may be "tired". Costs just as much to see this game as any other, get the best team available on the pitch. Or have we turned into yams who claim "It's only the WEE CUP anyway". It is one of only three major competitions in Scottish football, play the strongest team possible.

No it doesn't £15 for adults or £13.50 if you are a ST holder ..... £22 for a league game :greengrin

Franck Stanton
07-08-2016, 02:21 PM
No it doesn't £15 for adults or £13.50 if you are a ST holder ..... £22 for a league game :greengrin

As this is a league cup game, I was referring to entry prices for that competition - NOT league games. Should have made that clear I suppose.

Highland_Hibee
07-08-2016, 05:30 PM
I don't think "rotating" should be mistaken for "weakening" as it would appear some have. We are Hibs, if a player is in our first team squad then it better be for a reason. I say something along the lines of rest Holt to give Keatings and Cummings a start together. Our "number 1" has to be selected if his papers are through and Fyvie and/or McGeough have to get a chance if they are back fit. Scott Martin hasn't done anything to suggest he shouldn't warrant another start too.

Billy Whizz
07-08-2016, 05:34 PM
As an aside, does this game to extra time if it's a draw at 90 mins, or straight to penalties?

emerald green
07-08-2016, 05:37 PM
Hibs should field as strong a starting 11 as possible. If (hopefully) they can get a couple of goals lead then that's the time to give others game time.

Hibs would underestimate QOS at their peril. They got a draw at DU yesterday.

Diclonius
07-08-2016, 05:52 PM
I'm not bothered, primarily because I won't be in the country for the final. :wink:

HibbyAndy
07-08-2016, 05:54 PM
As an aside, does this game to extra time if it's a draw at 90 mins, or straight to penalties?

extra time

ShinyFantastic
07-08-2016, 06:35 PM
Only priority is winning the league. Put out fringe and youth players, our schedule last season was what killed our momentum.

Aye it was a disaster playing all those extra games that culminated in us winning the Scottish Cup......

Northernhibee
07-08-2016, 06:49 PM
Aye it was a disaster playing all those extra games that culminated in us winning the Scottish Cup......

And leaves us in lower league football for a third year. Pay attention.

B.H.F.C
07-08-2016, 06:51 PM

Scheduling isn't an issue with the league cup this year though. It's a maximum of 4 extra games over the next 3 or 4 months.

Jonnyboy
07-08-2016, 06:54 PM
NL said in his post match interview that he wants to win this cup as much as he wants to win any other competition we are in. Might rest one or two but I don't anticipate large scale change

Billy Whizz
07-08-2016, 06:57 PM
NL said in his post match interview that he wants to win this cup as much as he wants to win any other competition we are in. Might rest one or two but I don't anticipate large scale change

I'm hoping Dylan is fit, and we didn't want to risk him on Falkirk's plastic pitch

J-C
07-08-2016, 06:59 PM

Was this the one cup he didn't win as Celtic manager.

Jonnyboy
07-08-2016, 07:01 PM
Was this the one cup he didn't win as Celtic manager.

Not sure J-C, sorry

ShinyFantastic
07-08-2016, 07:14 PM

So you didn't enjoy winning the Scottish Cup?

happiehibbie
07-08-2016, 07:17 PM
Are Hibs sending out new digital cards or are we to use last seasons ?

Billy Whizz
07-08-2016, 07:22 PM
Are Hibs sending out new digital cards or are we to use last seasons ?

Same cards unless you had cup top up last season, then you'll be sent a new one

happiehibbie
07-08-2016, 07:23 PM
Cheers

Northernhibee
07-08-2016, 08:03 PM
So you didn't enjoy winning the Scottish Cup?

:confused: Whoever said that? Behave yourself.

The question to ask is "Would I be happy with winning the league cup if it was to cost us promotion to the top league". If the answer to that is yes then you seriously need a lesson on how to prioritise things.

ShinyFantastic
07-08-2016, 08:07 PM
:confused: Whoever said that? Behave yourself.

The question to ask is "Would I be happy with winning the league cup if it was to cost us promotion to the top league". If the answer to that is yes then you seriously need a lesson on how to prioritise things.

The final is in November. We would need to win 4 games to win the League Cup. That's it. You are telling me that would severely harm our chances of winning the league?

I don't buy this priorities nonsense, football is about winning. Which means aiming to win every game you play.

Northernhibee
07-08-2016, 08:13 PM
The final is in November. We would need to win 4 games to win the League Cup. That's it. You are telling me that would severely harm our chances of winning the league?

I don't buy this priorities nonsense, football is about winning. Which means aiming to win every game you play.

Leicester City won the premier league off the back of sticking to one priority. Leicester City.

I couldn't care less if we're pumped out of every cup by school teams this year - we won the Scottish Cup and that's not going to come close to being topped this seaon. We 100% have to get back to the top league this season no matter what. If the game isn't going to contribute to our promotion then it's a totally meaningless tie. Don't risk injuries by playing any players who might make the first team.

ShinyFantastic
07-08-2016, 08:24 PM
Leicester City won the premier league off the back of sticking to one priority. Leicester City.

I couldn't care less if we're pumped out of every cup by school teams this year - we won the Scottish Cup and that's not going to come close to being topped this seaon. We 100% have to get back to the top league this season no matter what. If the game isn't going to contribute to our promotion then it's a totally meaningless tie. Don't risk injuries by playing any players who might make the first team.

Right, so the magnitude of Hibernian winning the Scottish 2nd tier would be on a par with Leicester City winning the Premier League?

On a side note, in your opinion, can we ever top winning the Scottish Cup?

Smartie
07-08-2016, 08:25 PM

We've had decent debate on here about how good our fringe players are, and how suitable they are to play a part.

Tuesday's an ideal time to find out what they're like in a competitive match.

I see it as preparation for league matches. I'd like to see us win, and win well but I wouldn't be fussed if we didn't.

Bartley looks like he needs matches to get match fit.

I don't think these games are just about avoiding injury - if we approach them in the right way it could affect the way we approach league games.

Real Emerald
07-08-2016, 08:30 PM
Another cup final please👍

Northernhibee
07-08-2016, 08:39 PM
Right, so the magnitude of Hibernian winning the Scottish 2nd tier would be on a par with Leicester City winning the Premier League?

On a side note, in your opinion, can we ever top winning the Scottish Cup?

You're again deliberately missing the point.

By minimising their schedule Leicester were able to avoid injury and fatigue. This meant they were able to consistently play their strongest team and a 5,000/1 outsider was able to win the league. Don't underestimate how much a hectic schedule can drag a team down.

Winning the Scottish Cup made last season a successful season because it broke a 114 year hoodoo. There is literally nothing that could make up for not gaining promotion this season and as such we must do everything in our power to win the league. If a fringe player makes a claim to a starting place in the league then brilliant. Either way a fourth season in lower league football is unthinkable - the cups are of no importance to us this season.

Also on a side note what was felt on the 21st of May will IMO never be topped at this club. The way the game unfolded, the celebration when the third went in - we won't see that again in our lifetimes.

SeanWilson
07-08-2016, 08:42 PM
Think we're still building fitness at this stage. Can't beat competitive game time.

ShinyFantastic
07-08-2016, 08:55 PM

By minimising their schedule Leicester were able to avoid injury and fatigue. This meant they were able to consistently play their strongest team and a 5,000/1 outsider was able to win the league. Don't underestimate how much a hectic schedule can drag a team down.

Winning the Scottish Cup made last season a successful season because it broke a 114 year hoodoo. There is literally nothing that could make up for not gaining promotion this season and as such we must do everything in our power to win the league. If a fringe player makes a claim to a starting place in the league then brilliant. Either way a fourth season in lower league football is unthinkable - the cups are of no importance to us this season.

Also on a side note what was felt on the 21st of May will IMO never be topped at this club. The way the game unfolded, the celebration when the third went in - we won't see that again in our lifetimes.

Leicester did actually play 5 cup games, 1 more than we'd need to play to win the league cup....

So I guess you won't be attending the game on Tuesday, or any further rounds of any cup competition were we to get there? Your attitude is just so defeatist, why can't we win 2 trophies, 3 trophies? Who says we can't? That would top winning the Scottish Cup.

B.H.F.C
07-08-2016, 08:56 PM

The way the league cup runs this year means it isn't going to contribute to a massive fixture pile up.

It a maximum of 4 games over a 4 month period. It's two less games than we had to play to reach the final last year and any final isn't going to be stuck in between a Scottish Cup quarter final and replay and various rearranged league games.

If anything, it's better for the players to be playing games just now to help them find their sharpness and build up momentum. It's 4 days in to the season, we don't need to be resting people.

I think there is an argument for wholesale changes in the challenge cup. But not for the major competitions.

1875M
07-08-2016, 09:04 PM
Not a full rotation but I'd like to see Crane, Bartley and Forster get a full 90 minutes. That's the only changes I'd make. Would also keep Scott Martin in the team.

Northernhibee
07-08-2016, 09:16 PM
Leicester did actually play 5 cup games, 1 more than we'd need to play to win the league cup....

So I guess you won't be attending the game on Tuesday, or any further rounds of any cup competition were we to get there? Your attitude is just so defeatist, why can't we win 2 trophies, 3 trophies? Who says we can't? That would top winning the Scottish Cup.

I live and work over 100 miles away from Edinburgh and work 60 hours a week - so no I won't be attending on Tuesday.

It's not a defeatist attitude, it's a winners attitude as I want us to win the one competition that is beyond vital for us this season, winning the league cup would be meaningless as we literally have one aim this season and that's to win promotion. Any game that will not progress us towards that aim is not important.

BoomtownHibees
07-08-2016, 09:18 PM
I live and work over 100 miles away from Edinburgh and work 60 hours a week - so no I won't be attending.

It's not a defeatist trophy, winning the league cup would be meaningless as we literally have one aim this season and that's to win promotion. Any game that will not progress us towards that aim is not important.

Winning a major trophy will never be "meaningless"

essexhibee
07-08-2016, 09:20 PM
Full strength. It's a cup we should want to win and as countless others above have mentioned should have no baring on our league campaign.

ShinyFantastic
07-08-2016, 09:23 PM
I live and work over 100 miles away from Edinburgh and work 60 hours a week - so no I won't be attending on Tuesday.

It's not a defeatist attitude, it's a winners attitude as I want us to win the one competition that is beyond vital for us this season, winning the league cup would be meaningless as we literally have one aim this season and that's to win promotion. Any game that will not progress us towards that aim is not important.

I'm sure you'd be at Hampden for the final of this meaningless competition were we to get there. Sure of it. A winners attitude that involves deliberately throwing games? Okay.

Northernhibee
07-08-2016, 09:27 PM
I'm sure you'd be at Hampden for the final of this meaningless competition were we to get there. Sure of it. A winners attitude that involves deliberately throwing games? Okay.

Say we start a full strength team and someone like McGinn or Cummings does his cruciate/achilles etc and we're without a star player for months and end up dropping points behind Dundee United and/or Falkirk, does that game become as important then?

A winner focuses on what they need to achieve and does everything they need to achieve it, we need promotion at any cost this season and that's what we need to do. Not being all nicey nicey and trying to please everyone, just do what it takes and be done with it. Plenty of other seasons to win the cup, we have to win the league at any cost this season.

BoomtownHibees
07-08-2016, 09:32 PM
Say we start a full strength team and someone like McGinn or Cummings does his cruciate/achilles etc and we're without a star player for months and end up dropping points behind Dundee United and/or Falkirk, does that game become as important then?

A winner focuses on what they need to achieve and does everything they need to achieve it, we need promotion at any cost this season and that's what we need to do. Not being all nicey nicey and trying to please everyone, just do what it takes and be done with it. Plenty of other seasons to win the cup, we have to win the league at any cost this season.

A "winner" wants to win every game they are involved in and I'm sure Neil Lennon is a "winner".

He may make 2 or 3 changes but he will be putting out a team he feels will win us the game and get us one step closer to winning the competition.

Northernhibee
07-08-2016, 09:39 PM
A "winner" wants to win every game they are involved in and I'm sure Neil Lennon is a "winner".

He may make 2 or 3 changes but he will be putting out a team he feels will win us the game and get us one step closer to winning the competition.

I truly don't think we'll agree on what a winner is - tell you what though we could win the Challenge, the League Cup and the Scottish Cup this season and if we're not promoted I'd say the season is a failure this time around. Breaking the 114 year hoodoo was amazing and made last season one of the best ever but without the 1902 thing looming over us I don't see it being even remotely as close a priority as winning the league now.

BoomtownHibees
07-08-2016, 09:42 PM
I truly don't think we'll agree on what a winner is - tell you what though we could win the Challenge, the League Cup and the Scottish Cup this season and if we're not promoted I'd say the season is a failure this time around. Breaking the 114 year hoodoo was amazing and made last season one of the best ever but without the 1902 thing looming over us I don't see it being even remotely as close a priority as winning the league now.

Of course winning the league is priority but I don't see us as a club being able to turn our noses up at winning any of the major trophies available

HibbiesandtheBaddies
07-08-2016, 09:44 PM
Full team in the League and Scottish. Youngsters in the Challenge cup.

PatHead
07-08-2016, 09:47 PM
Of course winning the league is priority but I don't see us as a club being able to turn our noses up at winning any of the major trophies available

The extra money for getting a game against a Premiership side would help as well. Particularly if it is at home. No Cup Top Up this year either so everyone at the game will be a paying customer.

We don't have any Category A games this season which will affect gate receipts over the season.

Iceman1875
08-08-2016, 07:19 AM
Full strength for me. Hoping for a decent crowd after Saturday's win!

At Easter Road we play...