PDA

View Full Version : style of play

Cat Stanton
06-08-2016, 05:58 PM
Wasn't there today, but a few mentions of "more direct" (aka long ball) style of play? Is that true/fair? And if so, were we missing out the midfield?

SouthMoroccoStu
06-08-2016, 05:59 PM
Also not there

But could that also be due to missing Fyvie and Dylan?

theonlywayisup
06-08-2016, 06:07 PM
Wasn't there today, but a few mentions of "more direct" (aka long ball) style of play? Is that true/fair? And if so, were we missing out the midfield?

Yes - it was more direct, but it wasn't long ball. I felt that McGinn was a good example of the change. He was more direct compared to the latter part of the season when I felt he played the ball sideways too much. Today he was more on the front foot looking for the forward pass and rushing forward to support the player in possession.

In fact, I don't recall many "long balls".

Cat Stanton
06-08-2016, 06:15 PM
Yes - it was more direct, but it wasn't long ball. I felt that McGinn was a good example of the change. He was more direct compared to the latter part of the season when I felt he played the ball sideways too much. Today he was more on the front foot looking for the forward pass and rushing forward to support the player in possession.

In fact, I don't recall many "long balls".

cheers - and will see for myself next week.

GreenCastle
06-08-2016, 06:17 PM

There is direct and then there is long aimless balls / punts.

We controlled possession on the ground but occasionally mixed it up and were more direct (over the top) - this is where the 2nd goal came from and -1st goal was a through pass and rebound from Keatings shot.

I like the new style - most important thing is results this season.

LustForLeith
06-08-2016, 06:35 PM
There is direct and then there is long aimless balls / punts.

We controlled possession on the ground but occasionally mixed it up and were more direct (over the top) - this is where the 2nd goal came from and -1st goal was a through pass and rebound from Keatings shot.

I like the new style - most important thing is results this season.

Exactly. I'm not fussed if we play 4-4-2, direct, long ball, zonal marking or dressed as Britney Spears in the Oops I Did It Again video as long as we win games and get out of this league.

BoomtownHibees
06-08-2016, 06:40 PM
It's not long ball whatsoever, it's all about getting the ball forward quicker

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2016, 06:50 PM
I didnt see a long ball game, we still tried to play football like previous seasons except the ball sticks a lot more when its played forward.

I think where we are different is the way we press the ball a bit quicker and further up the park.

lyonhibs
06-08-2016, 06:51 PM
It's not long ball whatsoever, it's all about getting the ball forward quicker

That's what folk said at the start of both the Mixu and Butcher eras.

Clearly, I'm sure Lennon will bring us much, much more than those 2, especially that horrid **** Butcher, but the phrase "it's about getting it forward quicker" gives me the heeby jeebies.

Godsahibby
06-08-2016, 06:51 PM
Long ball and direct are totally different ways of playing.

BoomtownHibees
06-08-2016, 06:52 PM

Clearly, I'm sure Lennon will bring us much, much more than those 2, especially that horrid **** Butcher, but the phrase "it's about getting it forward quicker" gives me the heeby jeebies.

Getting it forward with quality play is a lot better than what that ****** ever did

lyonhibs
06-08-2016, 07:03 PM
Getting it forward with quality play is a lot better than what that ****** ever did

Ahhh you've added "with quality play" in there 😛

Getting the ball into the opposition half per we wasn't an issue under the 2 aforementioned managers. We've got the players and management to dominate this league like Rangers and Hearts have done before us and keeping Holt fit could be absolutely vital to doing that.

BoomtownHibees
06-08-2016, 07:07 PM
Ahhh you've added "with quality play" in there 😛

Getting the ball into the opposition half per we wasn't an issue under the 2 aforementioned managers. We've got the players and management to dominate this league like Rangers and Hearts have done before us and keeping Holt fit could be absolutely vital to doing that.

I think we will to be honest. I think we will grind out results more this season when struggling to break teams down. Holt will be vital for us and Lennon said after the game he wants to get somebody in similar to Holt.

I think we were a bit too patient last season which made it even more difficult to break teams down. Think that's where the biggest improvement will be this year

GreenCastle
06-08-2016, 07:08 PM

Butcher just loved a diagonal from the back.

We aren't playing like Butcher !

If you have watched any pre-season games or the Euro ties - we are playing with more purpose and not complete Everton Academy football like Stubbs wanted.

wookie70
06-08-2016, 07:10 PM
I didnt see a long ball game, we still tried to play football like previous seasons except the ball sticks a lot more when its played forward.

I think where we are different is the way we press the ball a bit quicker and further up the park.

That was the way I saw it too. Pressing high up the park more runs off the ball and a quicker tempo when we have the ball. You need to be fit to play in this Hibs team.

GreenCastle
06-08-2016, 07:26 PM
Plus playing Keatings / Holt and Cummings together - this team has goals in it!

Shrekko
06-08-2016, 07:33 PM
'Long balls' as in hopeful punts? There wasn't much of that.

We were getting balls played up quicker to strikers who were making smart runs and pulling defenders around. We looked far more likely to create chances and that's what we've needed.

We were easy to defend against last season- entirely predictable in the way we built the play up. Won't be the case this season and the players will revel in it.