PDA

View Full Version : Lgbti petition

heidtheba
06-08-2016, 01:43 PM
Thought I'd share.

http://www.equality-network.org/our-work/policyandcampaign/sport/football/

SouthMoroccoStu
06-08-2016, 01:52 PM
Oh the HIBEES are gay....lesbian, bi-sexual, transgender and inter-sex equal opportunity supporters

:flag:

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
06-08-2016, 02:46 PM
WFT is an inter-sex?

Pretty Boy
06-08-2016, 02:49 PM
WFT is an inter-sex?

It's a more accurate naming of hermaphrodite.

Onceinawhile
06-08-2016, 03:18 PM
Thought I'd share.

Link doesn't seem to be working.

heidtheba
06-08-2016, 03:41 PM
Link doesn't seem to be working.

Apologies. Will try to post when I'm on pc tonight.

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-08-2016, 03:45 PM
WFT is an inter-sex?

All the lassies that I have asked that question to have said no.

Keith_M
06-08-2016, 04:08 PM
Apologies. Will try to post when I'm on pc tonight.

I thought you were being very PC already

:wink:

heidtheba
06-08-2016, 05:15 PM
I thought you were being very PC already

Lol - Thank you thank you!

Right, this is where I signed it. Hope the link works this time.

RoslinInstHibby
06-08-2016, 05:18 PM
All the lassies that I have asked that question to have said no.

Superb!

Pete
06-08-2016, 05:20 PM
Good initiative.

It's bizarre that so much energy is concentrated on racism up here while the two elephants in the room, bigotry and homophobia, are pretty much ignored.

SouthMoroccoStu
07-08-2016, 08:24 AM
Lol - Thank you thank you!

Right, this is where I signed it. Hope the link works this time.

Done

jacomo
07-08-2016, 08:44 AM
Oh the HIBEES are gay....lesbian, bi-sexual, transgender and inter-sex equal opportunity supporters

:flag:

Aye... but the queer and curious can GTF??

lucky
07-08-2016, 08:44 AM
Signed and shared

hibsbollah
07-08-2016, 08:51 AM
Equality is a good thing :aok: signed.

Lago
07-08-2016, 12:02 PM
WFT is an inter-sex?
Neither one thing or the other.

Pretty Boy
07-08-2016, 01:14 PM
Signed

Wee Effen Bee
07-08-2016, 02:46 PM
Signed
Signed anaw.

Hibrandenburg
07-08-2016, 05:20 PM
Done.

J-C
07-08-2016, 06:58 PM
Also done

Jonnyboy
07-08-2016, 07:04 PM
Signed

Hibernia&Alba
07-08-2016, 07:12 PM
And me.

FranckSuzy
08-08-2016, 11:24 AM
Done

seanoheimhin
08-08-2016, 11:35 AM
Signed and happy to get involved. While I'm sure plenty of clubs are a lot worse, I've sadly come across a fair amount of subtle (and some not so subtle) homophobia among our fans.

Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

Captain Trips
08-08-2016, 11:37 AM
In 2016 is it really a thing any more, sorry I find things like LGBT to extent self excluding by having such a thing in first place.

For me whatever you are isnt really a big deal anymore and if it is then thats on the people bothered by it.

I am not gay but are people still getting stick for not being straight these days?

heidtheba
08-08-2016, 05:58 PM
Signed and happy to get involved. While I'm sure plenty of clubs are a lot worse, I've sadly come across a fair amount of subtle (and some not so subtle) homophobia among our fans.

Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

My pleasure. I get Equality's email newsletter after signing a petition for a friend, seems the type of thing that should be signed by as many people as possible. Thanks for signing everyone!

heidtheba
08-08-2016, 06:01 PM
In 2016 is it really a thing any more, sorry I find things like LGBT to extent self excluding by having such a thing in first place.

For me whatever you are isnt really a big deal anymore and if it is then thats on the people bothered by it.

I am not gay but are people still getting stick for not being straight these days?

I agree with you - it shouldn't be an issue and we'd all hope it isn't, however there are so few footballers who have ever 'come out' that it would appear to be not only an issue but a massive one. No one should have to say what sexuality they are but the fact that it isn't being mentioned is something that may well be a significant issue.

Brightside
08-08-2016, 06:07 PM

Yes.

bingo70
08-08-2016, 06:11 PM
I agree with you - it shouldn't be an issue and we'd all hope it isn't, however there are so few footballers who have ever 'come out' that it would appear to be not only an issue but a massive one. No one should have to say what sexuality they are but the fact that it isn't being mentioned is something that may well be a significant issue.

I find it border line insulting that there is this assumption that should any footballers come out as gay then the cave man football fan would automatically sing songs berating them. I certainly wouldn't and IMO if a Hibs player 'came out' tomorrow then I think they'd actually get a huge amount of support.

If there are players that are gay (and there must be) then it's up to them to take the lead and force the issue and not hide behind stereotypes of the average football fan from the 80s. If they do get some stick then that's a shame and should never happen but it'd be laying the foundations for future players to follow suit and surely that's more important.

heidtheba
08-08-2016, 06:35 PM
I find it border line insulting that there is this assumption that should any footballers come out as gay then the cave man football fan would automatically sing songs berating them. I certainly wouldn't and IMO if a Hibs player 'came out' tomorrow then I think they'd actually get a huge amount of support.

If there are players that are gay (and there must be) then it's up to them to take the lead and force the issue and not hide behind stereotypes of the average football fan from the 80s. If they do get some stick then that's a shame and should never happen but it'd be laying the foundations for future players to follow suit and surely that's more important.

I do hope my reply to the previous post wasn't insulting. It wouldn't necessarily have to be the fans to be the ones to blame, there could well be other issues. I don't know tbh. I do think that someone might want freedom from insults etc but not actually feel like they could force the issue themselves however. I've never had to deal with issues like these personally and I've never been in the limelight so can't really comment. It seemed a good thing to share and one which can only be for the good, IMHO. I also think that discussing issues surrounding this can only be of benefit.

superfurryhibby
08-08-2016, 06:44 PM
I do hope my reply to the previous post wasn't insulting. It wouldn't necessarily have to be the fans to be the ones to blame, there could well be other issues. I don't know tbh. I do think that someone might want freedom from insults etc but not actually feel like they could force the issue themselves however. I've never had to deal with issues like these personally and I've never been in the limelight so can't really comment. It seemed a good thing to share and one which can only be for the good, IMHO. I also think that discussing issues surrounding this can only be of benefit.

Nah, it wasn't.

I agree with nearly all the Bingomeister says, apart from how some fans would respond. I strongly suspect the player in question would be the subject of much unfortunate sing-dingery from opposition supporters and god help him at ER if he was a goalie.

jgl07
08-08-2016, 08:20 PM
Nah, it wasn't.

I agree with nearly all the Bingomeister says, apart from how some fans would respond. I strongly suspect the player in question would be the subject of much unfortunate sing-dingery from opposition supporters and god help him at ER if he was a goalie.

Remember when Justin Fashanu signed for Hearts?

Hibrandenburg
08-08-2016, 10:06 PM
I believe the biggest fear for gay football players would be more the reaction from their team mates than the anonymous Joe Bloggs sat in the stand. That is what could make or break their careers.

CropleyWasGod
08-08-2016, 10:16 PM
I believe the biggest fear for gay football players would be more the reaction from their team mates than the anonymous Joe Bloggs sat in the stand. That is what could make or break their careers.
The Secret Footballer had a section on that. He had experience of playing with gay team-mates. In his view, it just wasn't an issue, for anyone.

Footballers aren't necessarily the macho dinosaurs that they're often painted as. They're products of the 21st century and, as such, are more tolerant and enlightened than their predecessors were...just as in the wider community.

As you say, though, it's the fear that may be the issue, rather than the reality...even though the fear may be groundless, it can be inhibiting. Initiatives like this can only help to allay that.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Mixu62
09-08-2016, 02:57 AM

Not to mention the "hilarious" innuendo from the oh-so mature sports media.

lyonhibs
09-08-2016, 07:00 AM
Remember when Justin Fashanu signed for Hearts?

When was that? 20+ years ago?? You don't think society has moved on any in that time?

Vault Boy
09-08-2016, 10:47 AM
If anyone were to suggest that football doesn't have problems with homophobia, it would be absolutely absurd. Our own rivals sing songs that use 'gay' in a derogatory manner, and it would be worth listening to the kind of songs that a lot of away fans sing at Brighton. If I was LGBT+ and happened to be a footballer, I'd feel very far from comfortable disclosing it. Will sign this.

Pretty Boy
09-08-2016, 11:43 AM
I'm not really sure how an openly gay footballer would be treated tbh.

On the one had plenty football fans still love singing about things that range from a bit close to the bone to the downright unacceptable. Songs about Hillsborough, Munich, refugees and paedophiles are still heard regularly or were until not so long ago. Was it West Ham or Chelsea fans last season singing about 'Adolf Hitler is coming for you' at White Hart Lane? Add to that the ingrained sectarian attitudes in parts of Scottish football and it doesn't take a lot of imagination to see some still see football as a chance to indulge their own prejudices.

On the flip side I think society is finally starting to get over it's weird fixation with what consenting adults choose to do with their genitals in their own bedrooms. I read an article a while back about a gay friendly football teams parading at half time at Loftus Road, the reaction of the crowd was non existent, as it was for most half time appearance. No great applause but no outright abuse either. There is at least 1 LGBTI friendly football team competing in Scotland at the moment and the reaction to them is largely positive.

As said above I think a lot of what is stopping gay footballer 'coming out' is the fear of doing so. This isn't without foundation imo, people often cite Justin Fashanu but more recently Liam Davis of Yeovil came out and spoke very openly about the abuse he received, Graeme Le Saux was subjected to some pretty vile stuff despite not even being gay, again he has spoke openly about that. On the flip side I think all but the hardest of thinking fans of any club that had a player come out would give them great support and much like the really obvious racism of the 80s (bananas on the pitch etc) slowly died away naturally maybe homophobia would do the same. Initiatives like the above can only help that imo.

seanoheimhin
10-08-2016, 08:51 AM

Every day my friend, and that's just in Scotland. Far worse happens elsewhere on a regular basis. SPFL might not be quite as international as EPL but football is the most popular sport on the planet. When fans/players/clubs show public support for acceptance and equality, irrespective of the cause, it doesn't just reach Scotland. It encourages others to do so in and out of football and all around the world, in countries where being LGBT is still taboo, hated, or even illegal.

Hibbyradge
10-08-2016, 09:00 AM

Not only are be people "getting stick", they are still being assaulted because of who they love.

heidtheba
10-08-2016, 11:41 AM
Someone mentioned this earlier...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2011/mar/12/the-secret-footballer-gay-players

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/04/30/sport/football/tsf-homophobia-robbie-rogers-football/

Not only is signing the petition a step forward, IMHO, for football in general, the discussion on forums like this is very important.