PDA

View Full Version : Falkirk 1 v Hibernian 2 (Cummings x 2)

Pages : 1 [2]

portyhibernian
06-08-2016, 03:59 PM
Lovely jubbly, that will do for me! Get it up ye Houston.

Keith_M
Well done Hibs... and a special mention for calumn7 for his fantastic updates :thumbsup:

Onion
Great result and puts down a marker for the season.

Houston, you have a problem :thumbsup:

Pete
Nope.

It's just as vital to take as many points as we can at this stage of the season as later on.

Good teams treat every match as 'must-win'.

It's no fun playing catch-up.

So what happens when these "good teams" don't win? Their fans who have this expectant attitude treat it as a disaster while even a good win is treated as just the minimum expected.

Yeah, that sounds like fun. ;-)

The_Horde
That was easy

Ronniekirk
06-08-2016, 04:00 PM
Great start to Season Dunferline scored 4 today so attratctive game next Saturday That will be my first game of Season
Lets aim to make it a sell out and and create an Atmosphere that the players respond to

Pretty Boy
That's me locked in as thread starter for Tuesday then.

Callum7
Well done Hibs... and a special mention for calumn7 for his fantastic updates :thumbsup:

oi stop giving calumn7 credit! It was me that did all the work.

The Harp
06-08-2016, 04:01 PM
Great way to celebrate our Birthday.
Well done Hibees!

Greencore
06-08-2016, 04:01 PM
Looks like we hibs'd it. Oh well! Happy birthday to the greatest football club in the world.

Keith_M
06-08-2016, 04:02 PM
oi stop giving calumn7 credit! It was me that did all the work.

Oops!

:greengrin

7 Up
06-08-2016, 04:05 PM
Good result and a timely reminder of how important Cummings is for us.

Pedantic_Hibee
06-08-2016, 04:06 PM
Excellent result. Start as you mean to go on etc.

Wilson
06-08-2016, 04:08 PM
So what happens when these "good teams" don't win? Their fans who have this expectant attitude treat it as a disaster while even a good win is treated as just the minimum expected.

We should be going up as champions and have to think like champions. This game was winnable and we won it. Sure, we'd find our usual excuses for the draw but that wont help us get where we want to be.

There is no sense in managing expectations here. The expectation is that we go up as champs. Nobody is handing it to us - our results have to match the expectation.

jdships
06-08-2016, 04:10 PM
Massive result :thumbsup:
Well done boys !!
Was ready , yesterday to accept a draw :rolleyes:

Edson Arantes
06-08-2016, 04:11 PM
Brilliant start :thumbsup:

Waxy
06-08-2016, 04:13 PM
Hugely important win. Good chance Falkirk and Dundee utd will only ever see the back of us now.

AFKA5814_Hibs
06-08-2016, 04:13 PM
Superb start to the season. Let's kick on from here. :thumbsup:

emerald green
06-08-2016, 04:14 PM
Excellent start to the season. A long way to go though. Houston - GIRFUY.

Libby Hibby
Well done Hibs, great start

Posh Hibby
Great result!!! Feeling very positive for the season ahead!

:flag::flag::flag:

hfc rd
06-08-2016, 04:15 PM
Great result and start to what could be a very good season. Looking at some of the comments on the thread, we could have won a lot more comfortably and were the better team on top throughout. Really encouraging!

GIRFUY Houstoun!

Andy74
06-08-2016, 04:21 PM
Great start. Some good stuff first half, certainly more direct. Holt has to stay fit as he is pretty vital to playing the way we are. Two good finishes from Jason, could have had some more.

I think last 15 we let them in it a bit.

Overall cracking 3 points. Looking at bench we still need something different.

NAE NOOKIE
06-08-2016, 04:23 PM
What a great start ..... we win at one of the toughest venues in the league against one of our biggest threats, Dundee Utd drop 2 points at home and we are already 3 points better off than this time last year ..... we have also put a game on a bloody plastic pitch behind us, which is always good. Couldn't ask for better :greengrin

Happy birthday Hibs
:flag:

JohnM1875
06-08-2016, 04:25 PM
Great start. Some good stuff first half, certainly more direct. Holt has to stay fit as he is pretty vital to playing the way we are. Two good finishes from Jason, could have had some more.

I think last 15 we let them in it a bit.

Overall cracking 3 points. Looking at bench we still need something different.

By 'certainly more direct' you mean long ball football. And that's exactly what it was.

And let's be honest. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that when you have a target man such as Holt. There is definitely a difference between long ball football and 'hoof ball' and it won't worry me one bit if we go down this route because it plays into our hands. Cumming's running off the ball today was superb and we'll score for fun playing this system. Cannot wait for next week at The Leith San Siro

Pete
06-08-2016, 04:32 PM
We should be going up as champions and have to think like champions. This game was winnable and we won it. Sure, we'd find our usual excuses for the draw but that wont help us get where we want to be.

There is no sense in managing expectations here. The expectation is that we go up as champs. Nobody is handing it to us - our results have to match the expectation.

I expect us to win the league but I don't expect us to win every game as that's totally unrealistic. You can either treat every non-win as a hammer blow or you can get real and look at the bigger picture. Calling the first game of the season a "must win" is crazy.

However, we won so I guess we are all happy to an extent. The test will come when we draw or, heaven forbid, lose a game. I certainly won't be going mad or questioning our credentials as its a sport with lots of variables...and bad results just happen sometimes.

Alfred E Newman
06-08-2016, 04:33 PM
By 'certainly more direct' you mean long ball football. And that's exactly what it was.

And let's be honest. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that when you have a target man such as Holt. There is definitely a difference between long ball football and 'hoof ball' and it won't worry me one bit if we go down this route because it plays into our hands. Cumming's running off the ball today was superb and we'll score for fun playing this system. Cannot wait for next week at The Leith San Siro

Wasn't at the game today ( listening to Hibs TV on my hotel balcony!) but if it means we got the ball forward quicker with width that is no bad thing. We don't want to see the Houston and Levein agricultural hoof ball tactics but the over elaborate passing of the ball at times last season made it easy for teams that like to sit in and hit on the break.

Skyegreen
06-08-2016, 04:34 PM
Delighted to get aff to a flyer! Good 3 points 💚 can't wait for next Saturday now 💚

Dashing Bob S
06-08-2016, 04:47 PM
Going to take the plunge and start us off this season.

Team news/rumours?

Congratulations PB, on a fine debut. Can we stick with PB for next week's home game v the Pars?

northstandhibby
06-08-2016, 04:48 PM
:thumbsup:

Great result Hibernian. Falkirk away is never easy so well done to all the lads on the pitch.

Glory Glory

J-C
06-08-2016, 04:59 PM
Good start at a tough venue, I liked Lennon's interview afterwards, very honest and to the point, no hiding from him and the players, if they're poor he'll say so, you know where you stand with him.

NAE NOOKIE
06-08-2016, 05:06 PM
I expect us to win the league but I don't expect us to win every game as that's totally unrealistic. You can either treat every non-win as a hammer blow or you can get real and look at the bigger picture. Calling the first game of the season a "must win" is crazy.

However, we won so I guess we are all happy to an extent. The test will come when we draw or, heaven forbid, lose a game. I certainly won't be going mad or questioning our credentials as its a sport with lots of variables...and bad results just happen sometimes.

Bang on ...... It will be a miracle to go through the season unbeaten, even when we lost 3 - 0 at home to Morton last year we were the better team, but every time they got up the park they scored. The question isn't can Hibs go the whole season unbeaten? the question is will we win more games and lose less and pick up more points than our direct rivals ...... that question was answered today.

smithy_hibees
06-08-2016, 05:12 PM
Good start at a tough venue, I liked Lennon's interview afterwards, very honest and to the point, no hiding from him and the players, if they're poor he'll say so, you know where you stand with him.

Any links to this interview??

Pete
06-08-2016, 05:16 PM
Bang on ...... It will be a miracle to go through the season unbeaten, even when we lost 3 - 0 at home to Morton last year we were the better team, but every time they got up the park they scored. The question isn't can Hibs go the whole season unbeaten? the question is will we win more games and lose less and pick up more points than our direct rivals ...... that question was answered today.

It certainly was mate. One thing we can all agree on is that a good start does help and we got that today.

GreenCastle
06-08-2016, 05:27 PM
Back from the game - delighted with the win. Credit for the early goals - Cummings keeping his excellent strike rate up.

Their goal was a wonder strike but could have been closed earlier.

We didn't play that well 1st half but Falkirk didn't really trouble us.

2nd half much better though dropped too deep and gave ball away cheap at times.

All the players did well though Keatings, Fontaine and Cummings for his goals were our best players I felt. Others showed positive signs also and Holt came into it more 2nd half showing his strength and experience.

Was worried they were going to get a penalty 2nd half - well done ref and co for not giving it.

Falkirk are a pretty average side but never give up and have speed and direct play which at times can cause trouble.

Well done the fans - good noise after the 2nd goal - we have a decent mix of songs now and the drum always helps.

SteveHFC
06-08-2016, 05:28 PM
Great to start the season with 3 points at Falkirk. Atmosphere was brilliant throughout the game.

Borderhibbie76
06-08-2016, 05:30 PM
Just back great atmosphere today the Hibs fans to a man were superb...the cup win feelgood factor was alive and kicking...even after Falkirk scored well done all

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

NorthNorfolkHFC
06-08-2016, 05:39 PM
How was Martin?

"A friend of mine once said he liked his women like his parmesan: strong smelling and shaved"

Largshibby
06-08-2016, 05:46 PM
I think the question on everyone's lips has to be, what is Sibbald's hair do all about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think I read a while back that he has some kind of medical condition resulting in him losing his hair. Its a shame for the guy so i would cut him some slack on that one. FWIW I think he's a decent, experienced player. Wouldn't mind seeing him in a Hibs top. Great win today.

cabbageandribs1875
06-08-2016, 05:48 PM
Think I read a while back that he has some kind of medical condition resulting in him losing his hair. Its a shame for the guy so i would cut him some slack on that one. FWIW I think he's a decent, experienced player. Wouldn't mind seeing him in a Hibs top. Great win today.

i'm sure his hibs supporting brother would as well

Baw187
06-08-2016, 05:50 PM

Christ, I feel a bit [emoji90] now! I wasn't aware of that! I just thought he had a murder haircut.

He certainly loves a goal against us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walter
06-08-2016, 05:52 PM
Any one doing a player ratings thread?

Famous Fiver
06-08-2016, 06:11 PM
think Dunfermline captain Ashcroft? got sent off in the last minute today. Can't wait for next week.

Iggy Pope
06-08-2016, 06:25 PM
How was Martin?

"A friend of mine once said he liked his women like his parmesan: strong smelling and shaved"

Very tidy. Works like a bear and probably needed his rest when he came off. I said after the Hawick friendly that I didn't think he stood out as much as he should have. The couple of times since have changed my mind. Looks like being an important part of our squad this year.

Billy Whizz
06-08-2016, 07:03 PM
Very tidy. Works like a bear and probably needed his rest when he came off. I said after the Hawick friendly that I didn't think he stood out as much as he should have. The couple of times since have changed my mind. Looks like being an important part of our squad this year.

I like Martin, but wonder what Lennon will do with him this season. When Fyvie and McGeough come back, and we add in that area, he could find his game time limited. Wonder if we'll send him out on loan to another championship team to get game time

Finn2015
06-08-2016, 07:12 PM
Fantastic result and a statement of intent. Was always going to be a test and to come away with three points is great. Fantastic start

Iggy Pope
06-08-2016, 07:20 PM
I like Martin, but wonder what Lennon will do with him this season. When Fyvie and McGeough come back, and we add in that area, he could find his game time limited. Wonder if we'll send him out on loan to another championship team to get game time

Doesn't sound like it. Lennon's interview seemed to point towards a liking for him and he has also said he needs to add to the squad rather than replace some of them. He's obviously a very different player from McGeouch, pretty combative while a bit more direct than Bartley. I'd like to see him stay part of that squad. It's also an area we seem to get a lot of injuries in.......
Lennon also indicated that a need for another striker as back up to Holt was a priority.

GreenCastle
06-08-2016, 07:21 PM
Big call to start Martin today. He grew into the game and does a lot of dirty work.

He's different to Bartley, Dylan and Fyfie - with the last 2 starts every week when fit. Bartley was the right call today to bring on. I would say Martin is more attacking but not a Keatings or JMGinn

high bee
06-08-2016, 07:22 PM
Doesn't sound like it. Lennon's interview seemed to point towards a liking for him and he has also said he needs to add to the squad rather than replace some of them. He's obviously a very different player from McGeouch, pretty combative while a bit more direct than Bartley. I'd like to see him stay part of that squad. It's also an area we seem to get a lot of injuries in.......
Lennon also indicated that a need for another striker as back up to Holt was a priority.

That's a relief, we need a fit physical striker and Holt is bound to miss some games at his age.

Jonnyboy
06-08-2016, 07:23 PM

Indeed you did and IIRC I disagreed :greengrin

Joking apart, thought he did well today and Lennon clearly rates him :agree:

Iggy Pope
06-08-2016, 07:25 PM
Big call to start Martin today. He grew into the game and does a lot of dirty work.

He's different to Bartley, Dylan and Fyfie - with the last 2 starts every week when fit. Bartley was the right call today to bring on. I would say Martin is more attacking but not a Keatings or JMGinn

Well he started along side both of them today and he's certainly more attacking than Marvin all right. It's a squad game and NL can't play all of them, but he needs all of them.

Iggy Pope
06-08-2016, 07:31 PM
Indeed you did and IIRC I disagreed :greengrin

Joking apart, thought he did well today and Lennon clearly rates him :agree:

You did indeed but my opinion on that appearance at Hawick hasn't changed. :na na:
(PS - got my Coldstream teamsheets. Ta :wink:)

Baldy Foghorn
06-08-2016, 07:35 PM
Good win. Cummings could have had more, we defended well, and I like Martin. John McGinn never shirks a challenge....:flag:

Jonnyboy
06-08-2016, 08:11 PM
You did indeed but my opinion on that appearance at Hawick hasn't changed. :na na:
(PS - got my Coldstream teamsheets. Ta :wink:)

:aok: :greengrin

zlatan
06-08-2016, 09:22 PM
Favourite thing to come from today was watching Lennon go mental when we started sitting deep for no reason with 15 minutes left. He also questioned it in the post match interview as well. So many times last season we needlessly invited pressure on ourselves late on when we were in a comfortable situation, delighted to see this will be addressed.

Ronster117
06-08-2016, 09:41 PM
This is a very good result.... Away win to start a must win season... Well done NL and the team
GGTTH

--------
06-08-2016, 10:50 PM

I don't think anyone is treating this victory as "the minimum expected". Personally, I was pleasantly cheered when I came home and went online to find we were 2-1 up with about 20 minutes to go, and I was very concerned that we should see the game out and take three points from it - and it was glaringly obvious towards the end of last term we had a problem doing just that, notably at the Falkirk Stadium. It's important that the team shows a willingness to learn from past mistakes, and today they did that. What happens next week at the Holy Ground remains to be seen; I expect I'll be as anxious for us to win that one as I was about this one.

The point I was trying to make - I may ot have expressed myself clearly - was that the three points at issue today may very well prove to be the three points that clinch the title for us, just as much as the points we take in any other game throughout the season.

I don't expect us to win every game; but I do expect us to treat every game as equally vital to the successful conclusion of our League campaign this season as any other game.

But you're right - we as fans need to keep our feet on the ground; we won't win every game, but it'll help the team to win as many as possible if the fans get behind them and cheer them on rather than getting on their backs and bitching at them, as some of us are only too prone to do.

BTW - what was Houston's excuse for losing this week?

Dashing Bob S
06-08-2016, 11:13 PM
I don't think anyone is treating this victory as "the minimum expected". Personally, I was pleasantly cheered when I came home and went online to find we were 2-1 up with about 20 minutes to go, and I was very concerned that we should see the game out and take three points from it - and it was glaringly obvious towards the end of last term we had a problem doing just that, notably at the Falkirk Stadium. It's important that the team shows a willingness to learn from past mistakes, and today they did that. What happens next week at the Holy Ground remains to be seen; I expect I'll be as anxious for us to win that one as I was about this one.

The point I was trying to make - I may ot have expressed myself clearly - was that the three points at issue today may very well prove to be the three points that clinch the title for us, just as much as the points we take in any other game throughout the season.

I don't expect us to win every game; but I do expect us to treat every game as equally vital to the successful conclusion of our League campaign this season as any other game.

But you're right - we as fans need to keep our feet on the ground; we won't win every game, but it'll help the team to win as many as possible if the fans get behind them and cheer them on rather than getting on their backs and bitching at them, as some of us are only too prone to do.

BTW - what was Houston's excuse for losing this week?

He blamed it on their **** manager

Highland_Hibee
07-08-2016, 12:36 AM
We expect to go up this season but that doesn't take the shine off of this result. This was always going to be a tough away fixture and I am glad to get it out of the way already and delighted to see us take all three points. This sends a signal of intent to any potential title rivals. Dundee United had to come from behind to draw at home. It looks like Lennon won't settle for any of that jittery nervy sh*te that we start playing as we look to reach the end of matches rather than finish matches off. I don't want to get too ahead of myself as it has only been pre season +1 game but the early signs are encouraging. I haven't said something like that since we signed Anthony Stokes and Liam Miller in the same window!