PDA

View Full Version : Cummings

Pages : [1] 2

CB_NO3
05-08-2016, 01:32 PM
Hibs knock back one million from Peterborough for JC.

GloryGlory
05-08-2016, 01:33 PM

Source?

johncrobertson@
05-08-2016, 01:33 PM
Turning down an offer in excess of one million shows real intent. We would have grabbed it in the past.

johncrobertson@
05-08-2016, 01:34 PM
Sky Sports

Dashing Bob S
05-08-2016, 01:35 PM

Whether you are in the 'just shows how good he is' or 'should have bitten their hands off' camp, it was a great bit of business by Lennon to get JC to extend his contract.

H18 SFR
05-08-2016, 01:36 PM
Hibs better not sell, not even for 2m.

Ergye
05-08-2016, 01:36 PM
Take it, play Keatings, and use the money to build a 50ft bronze statue of Conrad Logan on Albion Road.

Andy74
05-08-2016, 01:38 PM
£1.5m would be decent business and we could improve 2 or 3 areas with it.

This'll be interesting.

Smartie
05-08-2016, 01:39 PM
Take it, play Keatings, and use the money to build a 50ft bronze statue of Conrad Logan on Albion Road.

If it's smaller than the "giant amongst men" himself though does that not make it a statuette or a figurine?

Finn2015
05-08-2016, 01:40 PM
Not now Jesus! Season about to start

Baw187

This'll be interesting.

Agree although we need to be lining up good replacements first cause we can't afford to go past deadline day with only Keatings and Holt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smartie

This'll be interesting.

Depends on what clauses are written into the new contract…….

Blaster
05-08-2016, 01:41 PM
Hibs better not sell, not even for 2m.

Every player has their price and I reckon that would be a deal worth taking and reinvesting. What bid would you accept? I mean 2m by the way not the current offer

CallumLaidlaw
05-08-2016, 01:42 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160805/237fa705888b0c211d02d20151339ec8.jpg

NorthNorfolkHFC
05-08-2016, 01:42 PM

Done deal?

"A friend of mine once said he liked his women like his parmesan: strong smelling and shaved"

spike220
05-08-2016, 01:43 PM
Every player has their price and I reckon that would be a deal worth taking and reinvesting. What bid would you accept? I mean 2m by the way not the current offer

Is that you Rod?

hibsmad
05-08-2016, 01:44 PM
Doesn't make sense to sell now.

He will guarantee goals this season and the crucial part is, he won't be worth any less this time next year.

Blaster
05-08-2016, 01:46 PM
Is that you Rod?

👍. Do you disagree?

The Captain....
05-08-2016, 01:50 PM

He will guarantee goals this season and the crucial part is, he won't be worth any less this time next year.

Exactly, he'll score 20 plus goals this season easily. After a disappointing transfer window so far it would be a real gamble to sell now imo with the season starting tomorrow and having to find and sign a replacement.

Greencore
05-08-2016, 01:52 PM
Just think that could have been hearts getting offered that cash. Makes it even more sweeter.

05-08-2016, 01:52 PM

I agree, Jason has a big part to play this season. If I was him i'd be using this season to score a barrel load and attract even more interest.

Smartie
05-08-2016, 01:54 PM
Just think that could have been hearts getting offered that cash. Makes it even more sweeter.

Just think how many 8ft tall lumps of s***e they could buy with that.

Keyser Sauzee
Reject anything less than £2m just now, another season scoring 20+ goals and we could see offers like that come in next summer.

cabbageandribs1875
:hmmm: that's a lot of dosh, make it 1.3m and we could use that towards paying some of our pitch invasion fine that's coming our way :greengrin

Waxy
05-08-2016, 01:55 PM
He'll be worth alot more than 1M in a couple of years, maybe.

GreenNWhiteArmy
05-08-2016, 01:56 PM
Jason doesn't leave for less than £3M if i was the money man at Easter Road

Is he worth that? Absolutely not (yet) however the ridiculous money down south has left us in a situation where Peterborough can come in and potentially sign our best players.

Doesn't matter what level we are at, play the game here Hibs. £100M for Pogba. £35M for Sissoko. We are in control of the situation after the marvelous piece of business to tie him down to a LONG TERM contract. Peterborough hold out for big bucks when clubs come in for there players, we are no different. Shaft them Hibs

HoboHarry
05-08-2016, 01:57 PM

From an emotional point of view you are are correct but like it or not we are also a business and if the appropriate bid came in then Hibs would be correct to take it. Just like every other club we cannot go on making losses and we should be looking to make money from selling young players on.

Johnny_Leith
05-08-2016, 01:58 PM
Steve Fletcher 156 appearances 42 goals £3m

Jason Cummings 82 appearances 36 goals....

Wikipedia source, didn't have time to check proper sources but my point is, the boy scores goals and that's invaluable.

An offer would have to be worth more money than Hibs being promoted essentially, as others have stated he could be worth a lot more after another season of 20+ goals

hibeemikey21
05-08-2016, 01:59 PM
Uh oh, these things never end well.

At least their opening bid isn't Sevco-esque

Realistically, how much more can hibs expect? I suspect £1.5 wouldn't be getting rejected .

Carheenlea
05-08-2016, 02:00 PM
Peterbourgh offering over £1,000,000 for a player is everything that is wrong about modern football.

HoboHarry
05-08-2016, 02:02 PM

Realistically, how much more can hibs expect? I suspect £1.5 wouldn't be getting rejected .
If Cummings agent is any good he would have had a clause in there stating the amount. Knowing RP it is likely to be high though which is good for Hibs......

Walter
05-08-2016, 02:02 PM
I would imagine, and I have no inside knowledge, That part of Jason agreeing his new deal would include a release fee, as he has done the club a solid by signing on ensuring they get something when the inevitable happens

Smartie
05-08-2016, 02:03 PM

TBH I've spent much of this transfer window waiting for/ dreading Sevco making their move for Cummings with a typically offensive lowball offer. TBH I thought it would happen in the week leading up to the start of the season.

He may stay, he may go and we can argue about the situation either way, the fact remains that the bidding has opened and it is above £1m.

So that's Sevco out of the running.

Saint Hibee
05-08-2016, 02:03 PM

Sell Cummings and Keatings, and we get a 75ft bronze statue of Conrad Logan!

GreenLake
05-08-2016, 02:04 PM
Peterborough can take players from us? :boo hoo:

hibsmad
From an emotional point of view you are are correct but like it or not we are also a business and if the appropriate bid came in then Hibs would be correct to take it. Just like every other club we cannot go on making losses and we should be looking to make money from selling young players on.

Yes, but my point is that he won't be worth any less this time next season. So from a business perspective, selling him for market value would not make sense.

From a business perspective, it is extremely important that we get promoted. It therefore makes more sense to keep hold of him just now and cash in at a later point.

Of course if we are offered a good bit more than what Hibs perceive to be his market value then it would make sense to sell, as we couldn't feel confident about receiving a similar bid again.

1 million is certainly not a good bit above his market value though.

Big_Franck
There's a good chance Cummings got a release clause in his new contract that means when a club offers a certain amount we have to agree to sell. Similar to what Stokes had when we signed him from Sunderland IIRC. I think the amount will be £1.2 - £1.5m. If we got it now it should give us time to get 3/4 real quality additions in that could make a huge difference. I'd rather keep him though.

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-08-2016, 02:05 PM

Wikipedia source, didn't have time to check proper sources but my point is, the boy scores goals and that's invaluable.

An offer would have to be worth more money than Hibs being promoted essentially, as others have stated he could be worth a lot more after another season of 20+ goals

I know what you are trying to say here but, the situations arnae really comparable are they?

Since90+2
05-08-2016, 02:05 PM
He signed on the basis that if a reasonable offer came in and he wanted to go Hibs would not be difficult to deal with.

I suppose how you define reasonable offer is up for debate but lets just hope another bid from a larger and more attractive club doesn't come in.

Brightside
05-08-2016, 02:07 PM
IF a £1m bid was made i'd have ripped their hands off to get it. £1m in the kitty would the game changer for us.

southern hibby
05-08-2016, 02:08 PM
obviously theyre testing the water. We hold all aces here and board will know if they sell and don't get promoted .......... Which means they need to have replacements who can do the damage and let's be honest we'd need to spend to get one in to replace JC, which means more wages too.

Make a statement of intent Hibs and say sorry but starting bid ??? ( insert extremely high figure with sell on's attached ) and see if they're actually serious or just trying to please their fans by looking like they're trying to buy. A bit like Newco do..

Let's be honest we win this league and season tickets if marketed correctly could shatter our all time high next year. Let's not throw this chance away for a pittance of Jase's true worth.

GGTTH

Andy74
05-08-2016, 02:08 PM
What if we could secure Henderson, Mallan and a striker at the least with this?

Would seem reasonable. The boy Gormley that's kicking about seems like a goalscorer. I'm sure there are players out there that would score in this league.

GloryGlory
05-08-2016, 02:09 PM
He signed on the basis that if a reasonable offer came in and he wanted to go Hibs would not be difficult to deal with.

I suppose how you define reasonable offer is up for debate but lets just hope another bid from a larger and more attractive club doesn't come in.

Also whether he sees Peterborough and League 1 as a career step up.

MWHIBBIES
05-08-2016, 02:10 PM
Peterbourgh offering over £1,000,000 for a player is everything that is wrong about modern football.No it isn't. They sold Conor Washington for 3 million in January and will be reinvesting that money. That is the way football has worked for 100 years.

Smartie
05-08-2016, 02:14 PM
There's a good chance Cummings got a release clause in his new contract that means when a club offers a certain amount we have to agree to sell. Similar to what Stokes had when we signed him from Sunderland IIRC. I think the amount will be £1.2 - £1.5m. If we got it now it should give us time to get 3/4 real quality additions in that could make a huge difference. I'd rather keep him though.

Which 3/4 positions do you think we need to improve though?

We had a long period of selling players for big money and replacing them with several cheaper players and it didn't turn out well. That approach would be fair enough if we were starting to build our squad from scratch and we needed to fund that but we're not.

If Cummings is sold for this amount/ any amount then I'd be tempted to blow the whole lot on the best replacement we can possibly find. Or blow it all on the best player we can find for that money of any position and play Keatings every week, spending a bit on a small amount on back-up.

I've liked our "quality over quantity" approach in recent years and I hope we keep it up.

I mainly want us to keep our best players though.

Steve20
05-08-2016, 02:14 PM
What if we could secure Henderson, Mallan and a striker at the least with this?

Would seem reasonable. The boy Gormley that's kicking about seems like a goalscorer. I'm sure there are players out there that would score in this league.

We already need another striker in the squad. So we'd need 2 if we lose Cummings.

We need to be promoted this season. We have a striker that guarantees goals. Mad to let him go.

steve75
05-08-2016, 02:20 PM
Peterbourgh offering over £1,000,000 for a player is everything that is wrong about modern football.

It's a mess.

13th in League 1
Capacity of 15k
Average attendance of 5k

And they can easily outspend us

HibsNutter
05-08-2016, 02:22 PM
Cummings is not leaving. To avoid another SA situation, Lennon would have told him that if we were to leave, he would have to have done so earlier in the Summer, giving us time to repair the squad.

Why are some under the impression we are still under flimsy management?

Scooter
IF a £1m bid was made i'd have ripped their hands off to get it. £1m in the kitty would the game changer for us.

Agreed. £1m bite there hands off. That could for arguments sake get us Henderson Mallan and Graham and money to spare.

happiehibbie
[QUOTE=hibsmad;4781415]Yes, but my point is that he won't be worth any less this time next season. So from a business perspective, selling him for market value would not make sense.

From a business perspective, it is extremely important that we get promoted. It therefore makes more sense to keep hold of him just now and cash in at a later point.

Of course if we are offered a good bit more than what Hibs perceive to be his market value then it would make sense to sell, as we couldn't feel confident about receiving a similar bid again.

1 million is certainly not a good bit above his market value though.[/QUOTE

what f he picks up a bad injury how does you portfolio look then?

johnbc70
05-08-2016, 02:23 PM
Obviously the wages will be better but if he grabs another 20 goals this season then he will surely get better offers than Peterborough.

I think he will see sense and stay.

CapitalGreen
05-08-2016, 02:24 PM

Tottenham tried that approach after selling Bale. Didn't work as everyone knew they had money to spend and they ended up with a load of expensive duds.

B.H.F.C

In the last month of an already slow window, having money in the kitty doesn't guarentee anything though. Having JC in the squad guarantees 20 plus goals.

Not worth the risk the day before the season starts IMO.

CapitalGreen
Peterborough can take players from us? :boo hoo:

The fact it has been rejected suggests they can't

Big_Franck
05-08-2016, 02:25 PM
Which 3/4 positions do you think we need to improve though?

We had a long period of selling players for big money and replacing them with several cheaper players and it didn't turn out well. That approach would be fair enough if we were starting to build our squad from scratch and we needed to fund that but we're not.

If Cummings is sold for this amount/ any amount then I'd be tempted to blow the whole lot on the best replacement we can possibly find. Or blow it all on the best player we can find for that money of any position and play Keatings every week, spending a bit on a small amount on back-up.

I've liked our "quality over quantity" approach in recent years and I hope we keep it up.

I mainly want us to keep our best players though.

For me the full backs, at least one goalscoring attacking midfielder or winger and a striker. If Cummings goes then it'd be two strikers.

For me the key would be whether we believed we were in a position to get those 3 players or so in very quickly. If we take the money now and are likely to still be searching about at the end of August I'd rather we kept him. We've all seen how long it can take for players to get up to speed fitness wise and developing a partnership up front can take time. Time we don't really have if, for once, we are to start the season well.

B.H.F.C
05-08-2016, 02:27 PM
Agreed. £1m bite there hands off. That could for arguments sake get us Henderson Mallan and Graham and money to spare.

And what if it doesn't get those players? Teams would become a lot harder to deal with when they know you've got a million quid to play with.

We're short of a striker as it is. Sell him and we need to get two in.

ian cruise
05-08-2016, 02:27 PM

Would unfortunately probably put the value of Henderson up if Lawell knew we had £1m sitting waiting to be spent.

Andy74
05-08-2016, 02:28 PM
We already need another striker in the squad. So we'd need 2 if we lose Cummings.

We need to be promoted this season. We have a striker that guarantees goals. Mad to let him go.

We weren't promoted with him last year. We need more goals throughout.

I'm sure we could still source the extra one we needed anyway.

hibsmad
05-08-2016, 02:30 PM
[QUOTE=hibsmad;4781415]Yes, but my point is that he won't be worth any less this time next season. So from a business perspective, selling him for market value would not make sense.

1 million is certainly not a good bit above his market value though.[/QUOTE

what f he picks up a bad injury how does you portfolio look then?

The portfolio would be ****ed :greengrin

To be honest I expected someone to come back with the "what if he gets a bad injury" argument.

Like most situations in business (and every situation in football) its a risk versus reward scenario. Very bad injuries don't come around all that often and therefore the risk would be relatively small.

Can I ask you, do you think it would be good practice to sell our top goalscorer, in the same week that the season starts, for no more than his market value?

ian cruise
05-08-2016, 02:31 PM

Thing is we are in the market (apparently) for those players with the need to sell players to afford them.

If a big enough offer comes in he'll be away obviously but I think it will take a good bit more than one million. He's worth more to us scoring goals that the one million is to us just now.

Hibs90
05-08-2016, 02:32 PM
Bid totalling 1.7m rejected. Let's hope that's the end of that

Onion
05-08-2016, 02:32 PM
It's a mess.

13th in League 1
Capacity of 15k
Average attendance of 5k

Who wants to live in Peterborough ? :cb

Radium
05-08-2016, 02:33 PM
#Hibs reject offer totalling £1.7m from Peterborough Utd for striker Jason Cummings via @jamiekborthwick

Paul Barnes on Twitter. Lots of add-ins?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calumhibee1
05-08-2016, 02:33 PM
At this point in the summer id take no less than 2. Which we won't get.

inglisavhibs
05-08-2016, 02:34 PM
thank god you are not in charge then.

Jack
05-08-2016, 02:36 PM
I'm a bit skeptical they could afford to bid a million, it's not as if their squad is littered with £million players.

I suspect, if true, it will be a fairly small initial outlay with **** loads of add ons like unrealistic World Cup appearance bonuses. Or even more likely a ploy by them to show ambition and flog a few more season tickets.

HibsNutter
05-08-2016, 02:36 PM
Whatever their final offer is, he won't be worth any less in a years time. We NEED to get up. There is no point in selling.

Waxy
05-08-2016, 02:38 PM
Do we need the money?

IWasThere2016
05-08-2016, 02:39 PM
I think anything north of £1.7M will be accepted. I would accept that.

Posh Swanny
05-08-2016, 02:39 PM
A few thoughts from someone with a foot in both camps...

- To those who say they'd have snatched their hands off, I suspect Hibs may have done too...

- Posh are very good at making a lot of noise about bidding £1 million+ for a player but they're never paid up-front. Always full of add-ons and installments.

- Saying that, Cummings does fit the profile and there will be money sloshing around thanks to the Washington sale and Stubbsy chucking an "undisclosed" £500k at us for Jon Taylor this week. We desperately need a striker and "young and hungry" is the chairman's favourite line when it comes to recruitment. "Potential to sell for a massive return on investment as quickly as possible" is what the fans suspect is a more accurate aim and if he were to bang in a ton of goals at League One and Championship they'd be looking at big bucks.

neil7908
05-08-2016, 02:40 PM
Unless we get a silly offer (£2.5M+) he should stay. For what it's worth I think Jason is a long way from being ready to move but he's a proven goalscorer at this level. As other folk have said we've sold players for millions in the past and where did that get us? He's on a long term contract so another year of banging in goals for us will only increase his price tag.

northstandhibby
05-08-2016, 02:45 PM

I would be disappointed if the club sold Jason on for less than £3 million next season. To sell him on now would be shocking just when the season is about to begin with him sure to score at least 20 goals if kept fit and well.

I would question his state of mind if he did sign for Peterborough who tbf are not what Jason should be aiming for. However one good thing is the Peterborough bid will scare off the likes of THE rangers.

Glory Glory

Andy74
05-08-2016, 02:45 PM
Whatever their final offer is, he won't be worth any less in a years time. We NEED to get up. There is no point in selling.

What if we've identified 3 or 4 players with future value who would also help us get up? There would be quite a lot of point in doing that.

CapitalGreen
05-08-2016, 02:46 PM
Ross McCormack has just moved to Villa for £13m. He is 30 in 2 weeks and could never be considered 10x the player Jason is. McCormack scored 28 goals in 71 games in Scotland before joining Cardiff at 22.

supermcginn
05-08-2016, 02:46 PM
Take 2 million and spend a bit of it on Greg Stewart!

Scott Allan Key
05-08-2016, 02:47 PM
It's a mess.

13th in League 1
Capacity of 15k
Average attendance of 5k

You forget. They are in the same country and labour market. I don't care what our resident neoliberal capitalists say about product and customer demand- they are also **** in comparison to our team.

Blaster
Ross McCormack has just moved to Villa for £13m. He is 30 in 2 weeks and could never be considered 10x the player Jason is. McCormack scored 28 goals in 71 games in Scotland before joining Cardiff at 22.

What was his fee that Cardiff paid?

1875M
£3M imo. If he was to go down there and score 15 +, which with the right service and game time he could then Peterborough could easily sell him for double that to an English Championship team. In today's current market we should be accepting nothing less than £3M. Laddie's got potential.

CapitalGreen
05-08-2016, 02:50 PM
What was his fee that Cardiff paid?

Signed as a free agent at the end of his contract. Compensation was paid of £120,000

Blaster
05-08-2016, 02:51 PM
Signed as a free agent at the end of his contract. Compensation was paid of £120,000

Cheers mate 👍

Itsnoteasy
05-08-2016, 02:54 PM

I guess you said the same when Trevor Francis was the 1st Uk £1million player over 30 years ago.

easty
05-08-2016, 02:54 PM
As if the money we'd get for him would all be reinvested in the squad. If we got £1.7m for him (I'd want more, he's worth more) then I'd be amazed if we went out and spent even close to a third of that replacing him.

Andy74
05-08-2016, 03:00 PM
As if the money we'd get for him would all be reinvested in the squad. If we got £1.7m for him (I'd want more, he's worth more) then I'd be amazed if we went out and spent even close to a third of that replacing him.

In fees of course you'd be right but it's all money available to help out.

For a third of it you could probably get Henderson, Mallan and someone like Graham though we'd need another goalscorer.

We've had the likes of Stokes and Malonga recently so do-able.

Falkirk managed to get 17 goals and 3 assists in league from Baird for example against 18 and 1 assist in league for Cummings.

Also worth noting in the two play offs against Falkirk it was Keatings that scored two if we are worried about tomorrow.

CapitalGreen
05-08-2016, 03:01 PM
I'll remind everyone that the last time we went in to a new season without the young Scottish striker who was top goal scorer the previous year was 2013/14. Griffiths returned to Wolves and we spent money on replacing him with James Collins.

AlbertK86
05-08-2016, 03:06 PM
We already need another striker in the squad. So we'd need 2 if we lose Cummings. We need to be promoted this season. We have a striker that guarantees goals. Mad to let him go.

100% spot on.

Even with that money I don't think on our wage structure we could get a striker that would guarantee the amount of goals Jason gets

Andy74
05-08-2016, 03:07 PM
I'll remind everyone that the last time we went in to a new season without the young Scottish striker who was top goal scorer the previous year was 2013/14. Griffiths returned to Wolves and we spent money on replacing him with James Collins.
Equally the last time we sold our star player in Allan we got probably two or three players out of it and helped us win the Scottish Cup.

GreenLake
05-08-2016, 03:11 PM
I would not grudge if he wants to go for a good price. He is one the legends and has been a great success for us. His memory will be a skeleton in the Tynecastle closet for the next century or more. However, I hope he wants to stay and scores a **** load of goals to promote us.

Dashing Bob S
05-08-2016, 03:11 PM
Just as well we didn't take the million. A season learning alongside Grant Holt will see 3-4 mill bids for JC next season. I'm sure Rod is aware of that.

Alex Trager
05-08-2016, 03:13 PM
No it isn't. They sold Conor Washington for 3 million in January and will be reinvesting that money. That is the way football has worked for 100 years.

I don't know who he is. But is he worth that money?

Probably not.

And thus it is everything that is wrong with modern football.

The point stands I'd say, the poster you quoted was meaning the amount of cash rather than the aspect of trading.

Bostonhibby
A few thoughts from someone with a foot in both camps...

- To those who say they'd have snatched their hands off, I suspect Hibs may have done too...

- Posh are very good at making a lot of noise about bidding £1 million+ for a player but they're never paid up-front. Always full of add-ons and installments.

- Saying that, Cummings does fit the profile and there will be money sloshing around thanks to the Washington sale and Stubbsy chucking an "undisclosed" £500k at us for Jon Taylor this week. We desperately need a striker and "young and hungry" is the chairman's favourite line when it comes to recruitment. "Potential to sell for a massive return on investment as quickly as possible" is what the fans suspect is a more accurate aim and if he were to bang in a ton of goals at League One and Championship they'd be looking at big bucks.
Spot on. Why let posh cash in after a successful season from Jason when we could collect the fee posh are targeting, The owners at London road are spivs, can't see that the playing side has benefited from the big money sales they generate.

CapitalGreen
Equally the last time we sold our star player in Allan we got probably two or three players out of it and helped us win the Scottish Cup.

Selling him in August arguably had an adverse impact on the start to our season though no?

Strange to argue on one hand that we should be doing our business early in the window while also suggesting we sell one of our best players the day before our first league fixture.

Borderhibbie76
05-08-2016, 03:14 PM
And how do you suggest we replace the 20 plus goals we lose?? Coz none of the 3 players you mention will score that amount??

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Andy74
05-08-2016, 03:20 PM
And how do you suggest we replace the 20 plus goals we lose?? Coz none of the 3 players you mention will score that amount??

Sign someone you think will score goals?

Play Keatings up front?

Baird at Falkirk and Johnstone at Morton were thereabouts in being involved in as many league goals as Cummings. Its not impossible.

Andy74
05-08-2016, 03:22 PM
Selling him in August arguably had an adverse impact on the start to our season though no?

Strange to argue on one hand that we should be doing our business early in the window while also suggesting we sell one of our best players the day before our first league fixture.

If anyone had bid for Cummings earlier then we could have done it earlier.

I wouldn't have chosen today but whilst the window is open and we can improve the team then why not?

Folk have been quite happy with our squad. It doesn't pass much of a test if one player makes the difference.

Borderhibbie76
05-08-2016, 03:25 PM

Play Keatings up front?

Baird at Falkirk and Johnstone at Morton were thereabouts in being involved in as many league goals as Cummings. Its not impossible.
Nonsense - you were the one poster complaining we let malonga leave in Jan - losing Cummings now would have a far more negative impact there is no way we could afford an adequate replacement this late in the window

CapitalGreen
05-08-2016, 03:26 PM

Play Keatings up front?

Baird had a great season last term. His previous hauls were:

12/13 Dundee - 4 goals
13/14 Partick/Raith - 7 Goals
14/15 Queen of the South 3 goals

CapitalGreen
05-08-2016, 03:28 PM
If anyone had bid for Cummings earlier then we could have done it earlier.

I wouldn't have chosen today but whilst the window is open and we can improve the team then why not?

Folk have been quite happy with our squad. It doesn't pass much of a test if one player makes the difference.

Folk are happy with our first XI, I think most would agree the squad as a whole is a bit thin in places.

greenlex
05-08-2016, 03:29 PM
They will be back with an increased offer and we will take it. More invested wisely and it would've s good bit of business.

hibee_nation
05-08-2016, 03:32 PM
Looks like Rod wants his helipad.☺

NAE NOOKIE
05-08-2016, 03:33 PM
It's a mess.

13th in League 1
Capacity of 15k
Average attendance of 5k

Exactly this ... but not only that ... their next game is a glamour game away to Rochdale and it says on their club site that they are shutting a stand for their next home game ( which is in the League Cup against AFC Wimbledon ) due to lack of demand.

Now there's nothing wrong with that .. their circumstances appear to be little different to that of 80% of Scotland's clubs as far as crowds go. But that's the point .. they are little different from most of our top 12 or so clubs, so how the hell is it they can offer over a million quid for a player on crowds little better than Motherwell's?
Even if they did get 3 million quid for a player recently, how many Scottish clubs would get such a fee and be able to spend over a third of it on one player? And not only that, be able to pay the wages that go with such a transfer fee ...... what, 6 or 7 thousand pounds a week?

That's what's mental about football these days ..... compared to the likes of Peterborough United Hibs are on another level, bigger crowds, much better stadium, no doubt better training facilities and at the moment I've no doubt a better team .... In any sane world it should be us chasing their best players, not the other way around.

This is exactly why I subscribe to the theory that for all the good TV money does for English football, it damages ours ... We have clubs who in reality shouldn't even be in our league from a financial point of view easily outspending us ...... If the TV money ever dried up I am willing to bet 50% of England's clubs would be bust within a year.

That aside, apart from perhaps more than doubling his wages, in what way would this be any kind of a step up for Jason Cummings ... they look like England's answer to Hamilton Accies.

Andy74
05-08-2016, 03:33 PM
Nonsense - you were the one poster complaining we let malonga leave in Jan - losing Cummings now would have a far more negative impact there is no way we could afford an adequate replacement this late in the window

I'm not really following your train of thought. I wasnt alone in thinking we made a mistake with Malonga. We did replace him though it just didn't work well. However, we weren't offered £1.7m in exchange. I wouldn't be in favour of just giving Cummings away without replacing him well.

Conversely depending on what way you want to judge Stokes we made a decision to let a player leave and brought in a player who won us the Scottish Cup.

There's also lots of time left in the window just now and plenty of players out there and deals to be done.

happiehibbie
05-08-2016, 03:34 PM
[QUOTE=happiehibbie;4781433]

The portfolio would be ****ed :greengrin

To be honest I expected someone to come back with the "what if he gets a bad injury" argument.

Like most situations in business (and every situation in football) its a risk versus reward scenario. Very bad injuries don't come around all that often and therefore the risk would be relatively small.

Can I ask you, do you think it would be good practice to sell our top goalscorer, in the same week that the season starts, for no more than his market value?

In a business everything is for sale you just need the price is right !

euro Hibby
05-08-2016, 03:34 PM
20 + goalscorer needed tpo help us back to the big league.......2 years from now he will be worth much more than 1 million plus add on's

Griffiths is worth 15 Million now apparently so do the maths and as pointed out by a smart poster, who do you change him for ............

Real Emerald
05-08-2016, 03:35 PM
They will be back with an increased offer and we will take it. More invested wisely and it would've s good bit of business.

Even if we did get to a figure Hibs would accept there's no way he would want to move to granting Peterborough.

Andy74
05-08-2016, 03:38 PM
20 + goalscorer needed tpo help us back to the big league.......2 years from now he will be worth much more than 1 million plus add on's

Griffiths is worth 15 Million now apparently so do the maths and as pointed out by a smart poster, who do you change him for ............

Just from the names mentioned so far I'd suspect from this one deal we could get Henderson, Mallan, Graham and Gormley.

Think I'd be happy with that as a swap just as an example.

easty
05-08-2016, 03:40 PM
Just from the names mentioned so far I'd suspect from this one deal we could get Henderson, Mallan, Graham and Gormley.

Graham is **** and we know nowt about how Gormley would do.

Andy74
05-08-2016, 03:43 PM

Graham scored 29 in 58 games last time he played in this league. For Raith.

Gormley has a great scoring record but of course we don't know what any player we sign will actually do.

As I said they were just examples I don't scout.

4 Front Teeth
05-08-2016, 03:44 PM
The club debt is a big worry for me. The transfer values down south seem to have trippled recently. If he scores 30 goals this season what would he be worth? Sell for 4m and we would be safe.

HibbyAndy
05-08-2016, 03:45 PM
Who is Gormley ?

Viva_Palmeiras
05-08-2016, 03:46 PM

Ask yon Thompson fellow at Dundee Utd about getting the balance right...

CapitalGreen

We can only start 11 players, which other three players drop out our first XI to accommodate those?

southsider
Even if we did get to a figure Hibs would accept there's no way he would want to move to granting Peterborough.

Correct. Goalscorers are like gold dust. Another season or 2 maybe the English Premiership. Or maybe we just sell him to the Rangers for £200k coz he wants to go there

CapitalGreen
05-08-2016, 03:47 PM

Gormley has a great scoring record but of course we don't know what any player we sign will actually do.

Forward line of Holt and Graham isn't very dynamic is it.

easty

So? John Baird scored a load of goals in this league for Falkirk last season, but he'd no be an adequate replacement for Cummings either. Graham is a huddy.

Andy74
We can only start 11 players, which other three players drop out our first XI to accommodate those?

Sorry, are you saying you wouldn't take four new players including Liam Henderson because we can only play 11 at a time?

Unseen work
05-08-2016, 03:50 PM
If we sell Cummings the replacement has to be guaranteed goals and fit ready to go.

Not just graham who can't get a game for county.

Try get guys from Scottish premiership English leagues that bang them in

Andy74

Not a combination I'd play to be honest.

Smartie

Hooooooooooooffffffff!!!!!!!!!!

southsider
05-08-2016, 03:52 PM
Have we ever turned down a bigger bid ? Well done the board. Lowly Peterbro don't get players from the Scottish Cup holders

Beefster

Without running down Cummings, he's not half the player Fletcher was when he left.

NAE NOOKIE
The club debt is a big worry for me. The transfer values down south seem to have trippled recently. If he scores 30 goals this season what would he be worth? Sell for 4m and we would be safe.

I'm willing to bet that Hibs debt levels are considerably better than most Scottish clubs ..... you don't turn down over one million quid for a 21 year old if you are desperate for cash, no matter how much more hanging on to him might bring in a year later.

Andy74
If we sell Cummings the replacement has to be guaranteed goals and fit ready to go.

Not just graham who can't get a game for county.

Try get guys from Scottish premiership English leagues that bang them in

Agree but Graham would be great cover for Holt, which we very much need.

Smartie
05-08-2016, 03:54 PM
Agree but Graham would be great cover for Holt, which we very much need.

In a season where promotion is a necessity, we need to hang onto our top goalscorer more than we need cover for Holt.

CapitalGreen
05-08-2016, 03:54 PM
Not a combination I'd play to be honest.

Cool, sell Cummings and replace him with someone we wouldn't play. Good plan.

Andy74
05-08-2016, 03:59 PM
Cool, sell Cummings and replace him with someone we wouldn't play. Good plan.

Yes I'd sell Cummings and only buy Graham right enough. You've been paying attention eh?

Dunbar Hibee
05-08-2016, 04:01 PM
I think (and hope) we will keep on to him for this full season, at least.

lucky
05-08-2016, 04:02 PM
£1m plus for JC is a very good deal. If that's there opening offer then we could be getting more. I sell at these prices.

southsider
05-08-2016, 04:04 PM
Who is Gormley ?
The 'debt' is under control
. STF secured an intestinal free loan of £50k a month. We are in the black. HSL are doing brill job. We can pay transfer fees.

Skyegreen
05-08-2016, 04:04 PM

This'll be interesting.

I fancy they'll come back with a much improved offer, it'll be down to Jason whether he wants to go or not.

He's a stick on twenty goals, you can't put a price on that!

Sergio sledge
05-08-2016, 04:05 PM
Unless we get a silly offer, or Cummings has a release clause in his new contract, I can't see us selling him this summer. He has 4 years left on his contract and we hold all the aces. An English League 1 club isn't the level he should be going to next IMHO.

Skyegreen
05-08-2016, 04:05 PM
£1m plus for JC is a very good deal. If that's there opening offer then we could be getting more. I sell at these prices.

I've heard 1.7million?

Real Emerald
05-08-2016, 04:07 PM
You can't sell for that sort of money if you've no proven replacement. If we don't go up due to losing him then the money is lost. I'm not saying he's the best striker we could have but he's settled in a side and proven he scores goals in this league. No way would the money be used to buy a better player. If one is out there then why are pishy Peterborough not chucking their easy gotten cash at them. Tell them to GTF.

Logie
05-08-2016, 04:08 PM
I wouldn't sell for any less than 3mill....mental? You might say. Look at today's market and that's why. If cummings scores another 20+ goals this season he will go onto far bigger things, we are in no need to sell and badly need him to have a great season to achieve our number 1 priority! It's not easy replacing the amount of goals he has scored so far. His recent contract extension has firmly put the ball in our court.

inglisavhibs
05-08-2016, 04:10 PM
Getting back to the SPL is worth more than £1m per year. If at all possible you keep your best talent and sell them as SPL players. That way it's a win, win for Hibs. I doubt Jason will want to go to Peterborough anyway.

Michael
05-08-2016, 04:24 PM
Rubbish offer in today's market. Even Sow went for more that.

Andy74
05-08-2016, 04:26 PM
Getting back to the SPL is worth more than £1m per year. If at all possible you keep your best talent and sell them as SPL players. That way it's a win, win for Hibs. I doubt Jason will want to go to Peterborough anyway.

Or you invest in even more young talent, win the league then develop/sell even more of them. 😉

euro Hibby
05-08-2016, 04:28 PM
If Hibs do not need the cash and have a budget and targets in place no need for change. I would also think that the player might not want to go to Peterbourgh.......

HibbyAndy
05-08-2016, 04:32 PM
Meh.

No danger should we be selling a 20 goal a season striker for 1.7 Million.

**** right off.

HoboHarry
05-08-2016, 04:37 PM
If Hibs do not need the cash and have a budget and targets in place no need for change. I would also think that the player might not want to go to Peterbourgh.......
Of course we need the cash. CWG will know more than me but I seem to recall her stating that we were running at a loss trying to get back up.....

Callyballybe
05-08-2016, 04:43 PM
With the amount of money flowing through English football now (even as low as league one) and with the club tying Cummings up for another 4 years, I'd be disappointed if the club accepted anything under 2 mil. I said in an earlier thread that if we can get promoted and Cummings carries on scoring like he has, he'd be worth 3 (maybe even 4) mil to an English championship club.

We're in, probably, one of the strongest positions a selling club could be. We have a goal scoring asset who has just signed a long term deal. Even if he demands a move (hopefully he won't!) We can still expect high fee for him.

Real Emerald
05-08-2016, 04:46 PM
With the amount of money flowing through English football now (even as low as league one) and with the club tying Cummings up for another 4 years, I'd be disappointed if the club accepted anything under 2 mil. I said in an earlier thread that if we can get promoted and Cummings carries on scoring like he has, he'd be worth 3 (maybe even 4) mil to an English championship club.

We're in, probably, one of the strongest positions a selling club could be. We have a goal scoring asset who has just signed a long term deal. Even if he demands a move (hopefully he won't!) We can still expect high fee for him.

Can't see him demanding a move to Peterborough, I would pee myself laughing if he did. You're spot on with your assumptions though👍

Pete
05-08-2016, 04:49 PM
First Rotherham, now Peterborough. Huad me back.

He must be sitting in his room thinking "FFS, can a London club not express a ****ing interest?" :-D

Real Emerald
05-08-2016, 04:51 PM
First Rotherham, now Peterborough. Huad me back.

He must be sitting in his room thinking "FFS, can a London club not express a ****ing interest?" :-D

Yes like Walford so he can drink down the Vic on a Saturday night 😄

500miles
05-08-2016, 04:54 PM
It depends who we'd replace him with. I like Jason, but he doesn't set many up, he can be wasteful with possession, and he sometimes struggles in tightly packed penalty boxes. However, he's deadly if anyone leaves space in behind and if a defender makes an error, he seems to see it before anyone else.

Of course, another year, another manager who will add to his game, he'll be a more rounded player this year. It's not a disaster if he goes, there are players out there who will get us where we want to be.

Vault Boy
05-08-2016, 04:54 PM
Huge statement of intent by the management team and the board. Couldn't begin to understand why anyone would want to sell JC at that price.

500miles
05-08-2016, 04:56 PM
As an aside, I've heard JC doesn't fancy Peterborough. Doesn't think he'd be able to settle in Russia.

Borderhibbie76
05-08-2016, 04:59 PM
Yes I'd sell Cummings and only buy Graham right enough. You've been paying attention eh?
To be fair u mentioned 4 players 1 of which was a striker...Graham. so fair assumption to make

erin go bragh
05-08-2016, 05:00 PM
How much would the guy from Dundee cost us . He scored 20 plus goals in the spfl last season .

Hibby Kay-Yay
05-08-2016, 05:10 PM
Apologies if already mentioned but maybe JC only signed the deal to ensure we got a good wedge for him?

Real Emerald
05-08-2016, 05:12 PM
Apologies if already mentioned but maybe JC only signed the deal to ensure we got a good wedge for him?

But not so he could get a glittering move to...err...Peterborough 😂😂😂

Hibby Kay-Yay
05-08-2016, 05:14 PM
But not so he could get a glittering move to...err...Peterborough 😂😂😂

:greengrin indeed, let the bidding war begin

Andy74
05-08-2016, 05:14 PM
To be fair u mentioned 4 players 1 of which was a striker...Graham. so fair assumption to make

Aye, all four of them though! Including two strikers and a Scottish Cup delivering legend! 😀

ancient hibee
05-08-2016, 06:03 PM
Given continued progress and freedom from injury Cummings will be worth even more in 12 months.

stevie-bee
05-08-2016, 06:15 PM
I am not sure a team from the English 4 tier would pay £1m for Jason maybe the sum has been exaggerated,

gazzag70
05-08-2016, 06:17 PM
We are just about to start one of the most important seasons in the clubs history. The day before it starts is not the time to be selling your best striker.

Andy74
05-08-2016, 06:19 PM
We are just about to start one of the most important seasons in the clubs history. The day before it starts is not the time to be selling your best striker.

Don't tell me Holt is leaving already?! 😉

keep the faith
05-08-2016, 06:20 PM
The acid test for me was thinking that if we sell we need to use the money to buy....Er....

We would absolutely struggle to replace and that's why we shouldn't sell.

On another note. We may soon find out if JC did indeed have a release clause.

lord bunberry
05-08-2016, 06:33 PM
Cummings will go for much more and to a much bigger club than Peterborough. His progress has been phenomenal in his short professional career and he is one of the hottest prospects in Scotland right now. I've said it before and I'll say it again, a prolific goalscorer is worth his weight in gold. The difference between a team that does well and a team that struggles is a prolific striker. Jason Cummings is a prolific striker and that won't go un noticed.

Hibby Bairn
05-08-2016, 06:46 PM

In the week that Ross McCormack was signed for £12m.

Callyballybe
05-08-2016, 06:50 PM
As an aside, I've heard JC doesn't fancy Peterborough. Doesn't think he'd be able to settle in Russia.

Haha! :thumbsup:

Andy74
05-08-2016, 06:55 PM

Cummings is quite some way behind McCormack's record.

If Cummings scores regularly in England for the next 6 or 7 years he could be going for that but the difference in the current market is about right.

Keyser Sauzee
05-08-2016, 07:00 PM
I'd keep him for atleast this season anyway, its fine saying its good money to bring in another few players but I can't see a striker who will score as many as Cummings on our budget. Does Keatings have 20+ goals in him? I'd like to think so but I'm not sure.

Highland_Hibee
05-08-2016, 07:09 PM
To me it is an absolute insult to make such an offer when our season starts tomorrow. Has JC done something in pre season that has suddenly sparked their interest? Say what you want about the value of the bid I don't see this as any more admirable than Sevco's tapping up of Scott Allan. Unless a club meets any kind of clause in his contract why on earth would we consider selling our top goalscorer right now right after he has signed a 4 year deal? We are in a position for once where we can say no ****** you and be better off for it. What are we looking to happen this season? Hibs go up and JC to bang in another 20+ goals? At that stage we will be wondering if 2 million is enough.

Andy74
05-08-2016, 08:33 PM
To me it is an absolute insult to make such an offer when our season starts tomorrow. Has JC done something in pre season that has suddenly sparked their interest? Say what you want about the value of the bid I don't see this as any more admirable than Sevco's tapping up of Scott Allan. Unless a club meets any kind of clause in his contract why on earth would we consider selling our top goalscorer right now right after he has signed a 4 year deal? We are in a position for once where we can say no ****** you and be better off for it. What are we looking to happen this season? Hibs go up and JC to bang in another 20+ goals? At that stage we will be wondering if 2 million is enough.

So long as teams make official bids there's nothing wrong with it.

Would we stop making any moves for players contracted at other teams now because the season is starting?

There is an argument that Windows should align to the season but whilst that isn't the case making bids is fair enough.

Hibby Bairn
05-08-2016, 08:40 PM
Cummings is quite some way behind McCormack's record.

If Cummings scores regularly in England for the next 6 or 7 years he could be going for that but the difference in the current market is about right.

No danger. McCormack scores goals regularly in a league that includes Birmingham City and Rotherham. Absolutely no danger he is 12 times the goalscorer that Cummings is. The offer is based on the fact we are a Scottish club....not on true relative value v players such as McCormack.

Cocaine&Caviar
05-08-2016, 08:50 PM
No danger. McCormack scores goals regularly in a league that includes Birmingham City and Rotherham. Absolutely no danger he is 12 times the goalscorer that Cummings is. The offer is based on the fact we are a Scottish club....not on true relative value v players such as McCormack.

Disagree.

Ronniekirk
05-08-2016, 08:54 PM
I'd keep him for atleast this season anyway, its fine saying its good money to bring in another few players but I can't see a striker who will score as many as Cummings on our budget. Does Keatings have 20+ goals in him? I'd like to think so but I'm not sure.

I think lennon sees this in Keatings and is talking him up To score that many though he needs to play more regularly He was the only Hibs player to score a hatrick last season and he got a couple of doubles
If he could find more consistency this could be his seasonto shine

HoboHarry
05-08-2016, 09:04 PM
It's business, nothing more and nothing less. How would they know what the release clause amount was? You want something, you make an offer and negotiate from there......

Dashing Bob S
05-08-2016, 09:26 PM

This is obviously the case. Ludicrous TV cash has inflated garbage and mediocrity, as well as greatness in English football.,

Andy74
05-08-2016, 09:42 PM

Come on now. Cummings might go on to have a good career. Currently he is a young player with a decent record in the second tier in Scotland.

McCormack has scored 25 in 74 for Cardiff, 53 in 140 for Leeds where he was captain and 38 in 89 games for Fulham.

He's scored twice for Scotland and has twice now moved for over £10m.

Highland_Hibee
05-08-2016, 09:56 PM
It's business, nothing more and nothing less. How would they know what the release clause amount was? You want something, you make an offer and negotiate from there......

Bad business if you ask me. When Stubbs went that would have been a prime opportunity to have a dig. JC has just signed a new 4 year deal, a new manager has taken him under his wing and on top of that he is already a highly rated young prospect. If they want to negotiate then they better start upping those bids fast 'cos we hold all the aces right now and we have a league to win.

Sammy7nil
05-08-2016, 09:56 PM
Come on now. Cummings might go on to have a good career. Currently he is a young player with a decent record in the second tier in Scotland.

McCormack has scored 25 in 74 for Cardiff, 53 in 140 for Leeds where he was captain and 38 in 89 games for Fulham.

Yeah but but but Jason :greengrin some people need a reality check on where Hibs and Jason currently are in any pecking order. McCormack is currently miles i front of JC

lord bunberry
05-08-2016, 11:48 PM
Yeah but but but Jason :greengrin some people need a reality check on where Hibs and Jason currently are in any pecking order. McCormack is currently miles i front of JC

Well that's obvious, but Jason is only 21 and is a better player thanMcCormack will ever be.

Bay Area Hibees
06-08-2016, 01:26 AM
Burney will earn more money from tv this season than ALL 42 Scottish clubs combined over 4 years!

Crazy

bingo70
06-08-2016, 04:31 AM

I don't think anyone is saying he's on a par with him.

I think the general point though is that the footballing world is currently going bonkers on the transfer fee front (did Liverpool youngster no just join Bournemouth for about £15m?), why should Scottish clubs exclude themselves from this radgeness? Lot of money floating about English football, quite right we, and other clubs should try to exploit that.

Dashing Bob S
06-08-2016, 04:54 AM
In a level financial playing field only an idiot would pay more for a washed up veteran than an exciting young talent. However English football is grotesquely inflated with TV cash and the differing levels of exposure and false status that commodity confers. If money is no object it makes it more feasible to ***** it away on a short term deal for a limited player who'll do a job for a year, rather than speculate on a potential star. Money makes people risk aversive. Modern capitalism is diametrically against the entrepreneurial spirit.,

Hibby Bairn
06-08-2016, 05:31 AM

I do agree with your broad argument. But don't agree that there is a 12x disparity between values. Cummings has scored against SPL opposition and has Scotland U21 goals.

Rowan Vine was transferred for circa £4m a few years ago which says it all really about English transfer market.

Greenworld
06-08-2016, 07:15 AM
Unless a bid of ludicrous value comes in and that value would be 2 mill plus then he stays
We need JC goals..
if he rattles in 20 plus this season then he will move on to a far better club

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Allant1981
06-08-2016, 07:39 AM
Well that's obvious, but Jason is only 21 and is a better player thanMcCormack will ever be.

Sorry but how can you say he is a better player than mccormack will ever be? Jason is a good player but it was often spoken about on here how bad parts of his game were last year, people wanting him dropped as a result, yet mccormack just moved for £10m, so currently mccormack is a better player than jason by miles

lucky
06-08-2016, 08:06 AM

Your not suggesting that JC is under valued based on the RM transfer. RM has been scoring regularly for Leeds and Fulham over a number of years. JC is scoring in the backwaters of the Scottish Championship. JC may become a better player than RM but just now there is no comparison.

lucky
06-08-2016, 08:12 AM
I don't think anyone is saying he's on a par with him.

I think the general point though is that the footballing world is currently going bonkers on the transfer fee front (did Liverpool youngster no just join Bournemouth for about £15m?), why should Scottish clubs exclude themselves from this radgeness? Lot of money floating about English football, quite right we, and other clubs should try to exploit that.

The rest of the footballing world is excluding us from the "radgeness". No rates our game. This year Aberdeen lost to a team from Luxembourg, the puddle drinkers lost to a team from Malta and the SPLF champions got beat from a team from Gibraltar. I'm not saying we shouldn't try and get top dollar for our players but the reality is most our clubs think our players are crap and are willing to take a punt but not spend big.

northstandhibby
06-08-2016, 08:23 AM
Bad business if you ask me. When Stubbs went that would have been a prime opportunity to have a dig. JC has just signed a new 4 year deal, a new manager has taken him under his wing and on top of that he is already a highly rated young prospect. If they want to negotiate then they better start upping those bids fast 'cos we hold all the aces right now and we have a league to win.

Any club with a player on a 4 year contract which took the first bid would be utter madness. Let's keep Jason and his at least 20 goals a season and win the league this season unless a realistic bid of north of at least 3-4 million.

Jason has rewarded Hibernian who put faith in him and he will get his big move no doubt but hopefully after we win the league this season.

Glory Glory

The Leith Dutch
06-08-2016, 09:15 AM

I think the above is important to remember.

Cummings has potential undoubtedly but we're playing at a mince level and he's scored 18 goals a season at league level while we've been down here - that's not exceptional in any way although you could argue his potential is more than just the raw statistics.

First season was reasonable but last year 18 goals isn't a great return if he's the player some people are talking about him as on this thread.
He should have been far nearer 30 goals against a league with part timers imo.

Don't get me wrong - I like Cummings a lot, I agree that it would be dangerous to sell him this close to the start of the season as replacing his goals is a case of gambling on someone while he's probably a stick on for 20 but the fact remains bids between 1 and 2 million are what we can probably expect.

HH81
06-08-2016, 11:23 AM
I'm a bit skeptical they could afford to bid a million, it's not as if their squad is littered with £million players.

I suspect, if true, it will be a fairly small initial outlay with **** loads of add ons like unrealistic World Cup appearance bonuses. Or even more likely a ploy by them to show ambition and flog a few more season tickets.

New TV deal in England, even lower clubs getting millions.

brog
06-08-2016, 11:56 AM

Cummings has potential undoubtedly but we're playing at a mince level and he's scored 18 goals a season at league level while we've been down here - that's not exceptional in any way although you could argue his potential is more than just the raw statistics.

First season was reasonable but last year 18 goals isn't a great return if he's the player some people are talking about him as on this thread.

Don't get me wrong - I like Cummings a lot, I agree that it would be dangerous to sell him this close to the start of the season as replacing his goals is a case of gambling on someone while he's probably a stick on for 20 but the fact remains bids between 1 and 2 million are what we can probably expect.

Lest we forget we played 3 times against the teams who finished 2 & 3 in the league above us last season & Jason scored in every game. His record against The Rangers is also excellent. He's a big time player with undoubted potential. As it happens I agree his current market value is probably in the £1.5/£2m range but the English market is ridiculous, McCormack's value increased by more than 3000% in 4 years. We should certainly do our best to optimise JC's value & we should buy his replacement before/if we decide to sell him!

The Leith Dutch
06-08-2016, 12:44 PM
Lest we forget we played 3 times against the teams who finished 2 & 3 in the league above us last season & Jason scored in every game. His record against The Rangers is also excellent. He's a big time player with undoubted potential.

I do agree on the potential front. I guess it's weighing up good performances in a handfull of games against decent opposition (and some games against the hun :) ) versus not filling his boots against some of the poorer teams. FWIW I think you're probably bang on the money thinking he goes on to a very good career :)

As it happens I agree his current market value is probably in the £1.5/£2m range but the English market is ridiculous, McCormack's value increased by more than 3000% in 4 years. We should certainly do our best to optimise JC's value & we should buy his replacement before/if we decide to sell him!

Couldn't agree more on the getting replacements in before he goes. If teams know we have cash everyone just goes up a bit in price.
The English money is properly mental but there's a weird thing about who you're buying off too.
The OF could always realise more for a player than we could and I don't fully get that - a lot of the time they're not actually playing many games against different teams to us and yet the same player at the OF get 2 or 3 times what we'd get for them.

CapitalGreen
06-08-2016, 04:10 PM
Folk were wanting to sell Jason Cummings last night 😂😂

Great performance from him today, good link up play and some great touches are the box.

CapitalGreen
06-08-2016, 04:13 PM
"I thought he was outstanding from start to finish"

- Neil Lennon

Andy74
06-08-2016, 04:15 PM

Great performance from him today, good link up play and some great touches are the box.

It's not about wanting to sell him it's whether if we were offered a large amount of money we would sell him or not.

I stand by being happy to sell him if the offer is big and we can bring more players in. Today showed we are still a bit short overall and we can still improve.

Alfred E Newman
06-08-2016, 04:16 PM

Just what I was thinking. It's amazing how many just don't rate him and it makes you wonder what exactly they are looking for.
He is maybe not the most gifted of footballers and is a bit of a loony at times , but he works his socks off and scores a barrow load of goals every season and that will do for me.

emerald green
06-08-2016, 04:27 PM
Jason Cummings just needs to keep his head down, work hard on his game, keep improving, and keep putting the ball in the back of the net.

If he does that, he will eventually get a "big money" move, probably to an English club. JC wins, and Hibs win too. No way should the club even contemplate selling Cummings for a miserable £1m given the ridiculous fees being paid, especially for for strikers, these days down south and beyond.

GreenNWhiteArmy
06-08-2016, 04:27 PM
Proof today Jase goes for nothing less than £3M

Laughable to suggest we should "bite there hand off" for £1M.

McIntosh
06-08-2016, 04:52 PM
Love Jason Cummings comments to BBC Scotland, "I said the day we went down I want to get us back to the Prem.
I'm sticking with my word". He is the Messiah

gillythehibby
06-08-2016, 04:54 PM

Are any of those afore mentioned capable of scoring 20 goals this season?

We can fet Genderson without selling our best striker. He's worth more than 1.5 to Hibs this season alone

Allant1981
06-08-2016, 05:00 PM
Thought he played well today, he isnt going to score every week or play well every week but reckon he will still score 20+ goals and thats exactly what we want from him

Wheat Hound
06-08-2016, 05:25 PM
Neil Lennon speaking about Jason post game today:

"He's staying with us in the Capital."

☺☺☺

Cocaine&Caviar
06-08-2016, 05:27 PM

Is this a joke?

Borderhibbie76
06-08-2016, 05:34 PM
Love Jason Cummings comments to BBC Scotland, "I said the day we went down I want to get us back to the Prem.
I'm sticking with my word". He is the Messiah
Did he say this after the match today??? 💚 him

Jdawg
06-08-2016, 05:34 PM

Don't get me wrong - I like Cummings a lot, I agree that it would be dangerous to sell him this close to the start of the season as replacing his goals is a case of gambling on someone while he's probably a stick on for 20 but the fact remains bids between 1 and 2 million are what we can probably expect. what an absolute pile of dog ****

lord bunberry
06-08-2016, 05:49 PM
Is this a joke?
No, I don't rate McCormack at all. Cummings will go onto have a much better career and score more goals. What I meant to say in my previous post was that at this stage of his career Cummings is much better than McCormack was.

The Leith Dutch
06-08-2016, 05:52 PM
what an absolute pile of dog ****

Normally, in a discussion with grown ups, you say what you disagree with.....

Cat Stanton
06-08-2016, 05:55 PM
Are any of those afore mentioned capable of scoring 20 goals this season?

We can fet Genderson without selling our best striker. He's worth more than 1.5 to Hibs this season alone

But does Genderson know you want to fet him? And has he done anything in particular to deserve it?

Famous Fiver
06-08-2016, 06:25 PM
Hawrts - 'Get lost son you're too wee.'
Edinburgh Cooncil- ' By christ, you've got a future as a gardener, son'
Stubbsy -'Fancy a game, son?
Neilson- 'Aw naw, we're oot the cup'
Peterborough' They'll accept p*sh money'
Hibs - 'HE'S NOT FOR SALE'

McIntosh
06-08-2016, 06:33 PM
Did he say this after the match today??? 💚 him

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk yes. Loved it.

CallumHibs07
06-08-2016, 06:37 PM
Do people still think Keatings is better than him?

Smartie
06-08-2016, 06:42 PM
Do people still think Keatings is better than him?

Keatings had a really good game today as well.

I don't think there's that much between them and we're lucky to have both of them.

If a megabucks offer came in for Cummings I'd have no qualms about playing Keatings in his position and I reckon he'd get a bucketload of goals too.

We could then get someone in to play Keatings' position who is a bit more suited to the role.

If we're going to start these 3 players then we definitely need some striking cover for the bench though.

Jdawg
06-08-2016, 06:48 PM
Normally, in a discussion with grown ups, you say what you disagree with.....

Not with a post like that, guff, idiocy, etc.

wookie70
06-08-2016, 06:51 PM
Didn't think Keats was that good today. Cummings looks wiser, stronger and faster than last year. Same as the start of last season. He is doing the main thing a young player needs to do, improve season on season. We need to keep JC as he will be incredibly difficult to replace in the time left in the window. Barring injuries he will be worth more next year anyway as he will score more than he did last year because he has a big partner

The Leith Dutch
06-08-2016, 07:08 PM
Not with a post like that, guff, idiocy, etc.

Well that's certainly cleared things up.
A really in depth riposte that clarifies why you disagree with someone else's opinions.
I particularly like the use of "etc" as those you'd come back with anything relevant.
:aok:

Eyrie
06-08-2016, 07:09 PM
It's not about wanting to sell him it's whether if we were offered a large amount of money we would sell him or not.

I stand by being happy to sell him if the offer is big and we can bring more players in. Today showed we are still a bit short overall and we can still improve.

Name the price that you would sell him for.

Cummings is a proven goal scorer in this league, and we need goals to get promoted. Everything else, including the bank balance, is secondary to that goal. The cash we'd get for Cummings right now wouldn't be enough to compensate for staying down, and that's before recognising that he'll be worth even more next June once we've won the division and got back into the top flight.

Who could we bring in who would be guaranteed to score enough goals to get us promoted as opposed to simply hoping he could? And how expensive would that player be, when it's known that we have money to spend and that player's club would themselves have to find a replacement at short notice?

If Cummings gets injured or loses form, we have Keatings. The only move I want to see us make up front is cover for Holt to provide us with a good group.

hibee-boys
06-08-2016, 07:11 PM
Why sell now, he'll be worth that and more once his goals help us win the league this season.

Finn2015
06-08-2016, 07:14 PM
We can't lose him now simple as that. I know we will cash in t some point but we need time to identify a suitable replacement and if we sell him now, would we have that replacement in place? This is a huge season, we need him

theonlywayisup
06-08-2016, 07:15 PM
Well my tuppence worth...............

I don't recall who said (I vaguely recall some Northern woman saying it) but the guy's "just got it", whatever "it" is....he's just got it.

This is a kid that grew up in as mad a Jambo family as you'll ever get. What would you think if your son grew up as a mad "died in he wool" Hibee only to end up playing for Them.

He was rejected by Them at an early age, a devasting blow for someone who loved them so much.

He then spent one season at Hutchison Vale and was unstoppable and that earned him a move to the Hibs. Not a surprise probably as Hibs would no doubt have been aware of his talents as as young player.

A mad Jambo playing for the Hibs! It's almost John Robertson in reverse!!

He joins Hibs second team and starts to score for fun. He then gets promotion into the "Butcher" team and struggles until the first leg against Hamilton. Two wonderful goals and he's up and running.....only to be the player that misses the penalty to send us down. How old was he then - eighteen!!

He then has two good seasons in the Championship. He's worked hard to be a better player. Yes, daft as they come. Yes, frustrating at times. But, he's just got it.

I love watching the cup final recordings to see him wave the flag singing GGTTH. He's one of us now.

This season, I believe that he's worked hard on his fitness over the summer. He's only just turned 21 and he could easily have said "I've made it, I don't need to work hard now". He's 21 and he's now scored 50 goals for the Hibs. Brought up as a mad Jambo and he's on the way to become one of the greatest goal-scorers ever. It's almost John Robertson in reverse!!

The guy, at the age of 21, is a legend. I personally hope he's here as long as possible. Sell him - no way, doesn't matter how much. He's just got it!!

Edit - yes sell him for daft money, but not to a 1st Division or lower Championship team. The guys going to be a star. He's just got it.

Hibby Bairn
06-08-2016, 07:20 PM
I believe Huddersfield had him on trial in May before Hibs took him in. This was whilst at Hutchie Vale.

I saw him play for HV U19s that same May and he scored 4 in the first half hour or so. Two of them screamers from 25 yards at Saughton Park.

As you say...he has just got it.

theonlywayisup
06-08-2016, 07:33 PM
"I'm completely focused on Hibs this season and my main aim is to get Hibs up," Cummings told BBC Scotland.

"I said the day we went down that I want to get us back in the Premiership and I'm sticking with my word."

"I'm flattered with the offer," said Cummings. "If anything it makes me more confident."

"I came out here today as confident as ever and you do thrive on someone coming in and saying you're worth over a million. It doesn't put pressure on me at all."

"But I'm focused on Hibs and I'm going to do all I can to get Hibs up."

"I'm only 21 and I'm still young. Down south probably would appeal to me later in my career, but just now I'm happy up here in Edinburgh with my family with my mum who does everything for me - I'd be lost without her."

"If I went down there I would kind of lose my way a wee bit."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36999824

high bee
06-08-2016, 07:36 PM
"I'm completely focused on Hibs this season and my main aim is to get Hibs up," Cummings told BBC Scotland.

"I said the day we went down that I want to get us back in the Premiership and I'm sticking with my word."

"I'm flattered with the offer," said Cummings. "If anything it makes me more confident."

"I came out here today as confident as ever and you do thrive on someone coming in and saying you're worth over a million. It doesn't put pressure on me at all."

"I'm only 21 and I'm still young. Down south probably would appeal to me later in my career, but just now I'm happy up here in Edinburgh with my family with my mum who does everything for me - I'd be lost without her."

Despite all his messing about he does seem to have his head screwed on.

grammyb111
06-08-2016, 07:37 PM

"We will only accept silly money, what's silly money? 5 million is,silly but we'd still need to buy a replacement so we wouldn't get the full value"

CRAZYHIBBY
06-08-2016, 07:46 PM
It's funny to think that a player who was dumped by hearts would end up a hibs legend.......it's almost the stuff of movies

CapitalGreen
06-08-2016, 07:47 PM
50th professional goal for Hibs today. (+3 for Scotland u21's)

In comparison, Derek Riordan had scored 11 at the same age. (+4 for Cowdenbeath)

lord bunberry
06-08-2016, 07:52 PM

I don't recall who said (I vaguely recall some Northern woman saying it) but the guy's "just got it", whatever "it" is....he's just got it.

This is a kid that grew up in as mad a Jambo family as you'll ever get. What would you think if your son grew up as a mad "died in he wool" Hibee only to end up playing for Them.

He was rejected by Them at an early age, a devasting blow for someone who loved them so much.

He then spent one season at Hutchison Vale and was unstoppable and that earned him a move to the Hibs. Not a surprise probably as Hibs would no doubt have been aware of his talents as as young player.

He joins Hibs second team and starts to score for fun. He then gets promotion into the "Butcher" team and struggles until the first leg against Hamilton. Two wonderful goals and he's up and running.....only to be the player that misses the penalty to send us down. How old was he then - eighteen!!

He then has two good seasons in the Championship. He's worked hard to be a better player. Yes, daft as they come. Yes, frustrating at times. But, he's just got it.

I love watching the cup final recordings to see him wave the flag singing GGTTH. He's one of us now.

This season, I believe that he's worked hard on his fitness over the summer. He's only just turned 21 and he could easily have said "I've made it, I don't need to work hard now". He's 21 and he's now scored 50 goals for the Hibs. Brought up as a mad Jambo and he's on the way to become one of the greatest goal-scorers ever. It's almost John Robertson in reverse!!

The guy, at the age of 21, is a legend. I personally hope he's here as long as possible. Sell him - no way, doesn't matter how much. He's just got it!!

Edit - yes sell him for daft money, but not to a 1st Division or lower Championship team. The guys going to be a star. He's just got it.
:top marksHe has as you say got it. The hottest prospect in Scotland. There's always plenty good defenders and midfielders kicking around, but natural goal scorers are rare. I've been following hibs for over 30 years and many on here will have followed them for much more. In those 30 years we must have had over 50 strikers that were considered to be first choice players. I would say less than 5 have the goal scoring ability of Jason Cummings. Many were better footballers than JC, but they weren't as natural goal scorers than him.

Swedish hibee
06-08-2016, 07:53 PM
http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36999824[/QUOTE]

Who's the player next to Gray with the tattoos?

Iggy Pope
06-08-2016, 07:56 PM

Who's the player next to Gray with the tattoos?[/QUOTE]

Scott Martin

calumhibee1
06-08-2016, 08:00 PM
50th professional goal for Hibs today. (+3 for Scotland u21's)

In comparison, Derek Riordan had scored 11 at the same age. (+4 for Cowdenbeath)

Yet some people never stop getting on his back. Mind blowing.

Smartie
06-08-2016, 08:04 PM

I totally agree.

He likes to give the impression that he's a total bampot but I think that deep down he really knows what he's doing.

Smartie
06-08-2016, 08:05 PM

That picture of his holding a cabbage aloft is one of the best cup final celebration photos.

Onion
06-08-2016, 08:11 PM

IMO what Hibs fans underestimate is the value of JC's ridiculous self-confidence and what that does for the team.

Hibs have been sadly lacking in real winners over the years and players like Cummings are worth much more than the goals they score. Griffiths, Sauzee, Jackson, McGinn, Helndeson, Sir David of Gray all have it. Unshakeable self-belief that inspires players around them and fazes the opposition.

Tha Cabbage Kid
06-08-2016, 08:27 PM
Hawrts - 'Get lost son you're too wee.'
Edinburgh Cooncil- ' By christ, you've got a future as a gardener, son'
Stubbsy -'Fancy a game, son?
Neilson- 'Aw naw, we're oot the cup'
Peterborough' They'll accept p*sh money'
Hibs - 'HE'S NOT FOR SALE'
I hope when I'm an old man I will walk into a pub in Leith and see this quote hanging on a wall!!!! Hahahaha

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Finn2015
06-08-2016, 08:45 PM

Yup thought it was a mature assessment of his situation tbh

lochhibs
06-08-2016, 09:07 PM
im delighted with his comments after todays game. he doesnt want to go anywhere and we simply cant sell him for any figure. that might seem daft but say we got offered 3m for him we'd expect to spend 1m of it on another striker. which 1m rated striker would want to play in the championship and how much do you think a 1m player would want in wages? the reality is 150k would get spent on a prospect and not on what would be needed to fill JC's boots. we've got a proven striker who's stock will continue to rise. put up the 'not for sale' sign and let the laddie score the goals that will see us win the league.

Diclonius
06-08-2016, 09:10 PM
It's funny to think that a player who was dumped by hearts would end up a hibs legend.......it's almost the stuff of movies

He's our Robbo.

Captain Trips
06-08-2016, 09:11 PM
Cummings = Excellent

Jonnyboy
06-08-2016, 09:12 PM
He was very good today. My MotM as his all round play was top notch :agree:

Shrekko
06-08-2016, 09:39 PM
I'm really confident after seeing him today that Neil Lennon is going to get the best out of JC. His work rate was terrific and his play was so much more mature than it was at times last season. He already has that special talent for goals and really could become some player.

I initially thought Peterborough had put in an ok bid but I fully support Hibs turning it down. If he continues like this we'll have bigger bids to consider in the next year.

Sammy7nil
06-08-2016, 09:49 PM
Name the price that you would sell him for.

Cummings is a proven goal scorer in this league, and we need goals to get promoted. Everything else, including the bank balance, is secondary to that goal. The cash we'd get for Cummings right now wouldn't be enough to compensate for staying down, and that's before recognising that he'll be worth even more next June once we've won the division and got back into the top flight.

Who could we bring in who would be guaranteed to score enough goals to get us promoted as opposed to simply hoping he could? And how expensive would that player be, when it's known that we have money to spend and that player's club would themselves have to find a replacement at short notice?

If Cummings gets injured or loses form, we have Keatings. The only move I want to see us make up front is cover for Holt to provide us with a good group.

You cant guarantee anyone will score goals including Jason :rolleyes:

Shrekko
06-08-2016, 10:03 PM
His track record says otherwise. Too big a risk to think we could get someone else in that can replicate what he does for us.

25 goals will be his minimum this season. Not easy to replace and we need to go up.

calumhibee1
06-08-2016, 10:06 PM
His track record says otherwise. Too big a risk to think we could get someone else in that can replicate what he does for us.

25 goals will be his minimum this season. Not easy to replace and we need to go up.

Yup. Short of him getting injured (which is another huge plus for Jason, his injury record at Hibs is great) he pretty much is guaranteed 25+ goals this season.

Eyrie
06-08-2016, 10:07 PM

By that logic we can't place our faith in any player at any time. Cummings is a proven goal scorer in this division for our team, so he's a much safer bet than a player who would be new to both club and division.

Hi Heid Yin
06-08-2016, 10:08 PM
Cummings: THE HAMMER OF HEARTS!

green day
06-08-2016, 10:08 PM
Simple as this. How much to buy a striker who will pretty much guarantee you 20 goals?

Even in the championship? They don't exist.

That's why we can't sell JC.

calumhibee1
06-08-2016, 10:14 PM
IMO what Hibs fans underestimate is the value of JC's ridiculous self-confidence and what that does for the team.

Hibs have been sadly lacking in real winners over the years and players like Cummings are worth much more than the goals they score. Griffiths, Sauzee, Jackson, McGinn, Helndeson, Sir David of Gray all have it. Unshakeable self-belief that inspires players around them and fazes the opposition.

Agreed. And with that level of self confidence (which on the whole is a great quality to have) will come the odd moment of sheer stupidity such as the semi final penalty, which some people still seem to hold against him. He wouldn't have tried that if he wasn't so confident/cocky. However he also wouldn't be anywhere near 50 goals for Hibs. If you watch his interview after the cup semi final there's actually a cracking bit where he gets asked about THAT penalty - "Jason, talk me through that penalty" was the question, or something along those lines. Jason being Jason goes on to tell the reporter all about how he was buzzing to be able to take the winning penalty and send us through to the final. He seemed to have totally forgot he had even missed one!

MichaelTheCelt
06-08-2016, 10:47 PM
He would be mad to leave Hibs for Peterborough.

Enough said
07-08-2016, 06:43 AM
He could hit the 30 mark this season, big holt will be a great asset go jc

neil7908
07-08-2016, 06:58 AM
The player wants to stay, the club has said publicly they aren't selling.

Case closed.

Thread over.

Enough said
07-08-2016, 07:05 AM
The player wants to stay, the club has said publicly they aren't selling.

Case closed.

Thread over.
You don't decide when a threads over simple as that

theonlywayisup
07-08-2016, 08:04 AM
It was Mel B that said "you've just got it" on X Factor.

Thought I would share that. It was bugging me all night.

Marco G
07-08-2016, 08:09 AM
By that logic we can't place our faith in any player at any time. Cummings is a proven goal scorer in this division for our team, so he's a much safer bet than a player who would be new to both club and division.
Its a no brainer, its worth much more than a million to us to get promoted, so we keep him. Plus he will become an even better player as he gains experience playing for a good manager.

Andy74
07-08-2016, 10:40 AM
Its a no brainer, its worth much more than a million to us to get promoted, so we keep him. Plus he will become an even better player as he gains experience playing for a good manager.

So keeping Cummings is the only way we will be promoted?

What happened the last couple of years then?

Shrekko
07-08-2016, 10:51 AM
So keeping Cummings is the only way we will be promoted?

What happened the last couple of years then?

Yeah it was because we had JC that we missed out on promotion eh?

Maybe we should try and punt Hanlon, McGinn, McGeouch etc too.

It's just not that simple. Anyone who thinks its a good idea to lose an almost guaranteed 25-30 goals is off their head. If its so easy how come very few others manage it?

blackpoolhibs
07-08-2016, 10:56 AM
He was very good today. My MotM as his all round play was top notch :agree:

Yip, i was pleasantly surprised at his overall play, we all know he can finish but his general play with the ball was a real improvement from last season in my opinion.

He's clearly been working on it. :top marks

If he can continue to improve, and there's no reason why he wont, he will be worth much more than last week's bid.

broondog
07-08-2016, 11:06 AM
as many have said no brainer to keep him and thrilled the club are retaining him. He is a raw talent who will earn us much more than 1.5 million when we get promoted