PDA

View Full Version : Question Are referees from abroad more competent than those from Scotland?

Wee Effen Bee
05-08-2016, 09:55 AM
After watching most of the Scottish representatives' games in Europe, and a couple of other matches, I believe some of us may have to recalibrate our views on the competency of home-bred refs/officials. Some of the decision-making by officials from Europe has been horrific and, if I were a Dons fan, I would be raging this morning.

Big_Franck
05-08-2016, 10:56 AM
After watching most of the Scottish representatives' games in Europe, and a couple of other matches, I believe some of us may have to recalibrate our views on the competency of home-bred refs/officials. Some of the decision-making by officials from Europe has been horrific and, if I were a Dons fan, I would be raging this morning.

I briefly watched Aberdeen's highlights this morning. The Rooney penalty incident in particular was a disgrace and if I was a sheep worrier i'd be raging this morning. Still, it was great listening to a gutted Richard Gordon on sportsound :greengrin

nellio
05-08-2016, 10:58 AM
Aberdeen fan in my work is raging this morning about the ref last night, saying UEFA don't want Scottish clubs in Europe etc!

gogsy23
05-08-2016, 11:24 AM
No worse a performance last night compared to the brondby game at er imo. Refs in scotland are hung out to dry by their superiors, they get little back up or support.

mim
05-08-2016, 11:29 AM
There are good, decent, poor and absolutely crap referees in all countries. Mainly decent, I would say :agree:

staunchhibby
05-08-2016, 11:30 AM
Maybe time for uefa to look at referee appointments.We have had some shocking officials lately.

Smartie
05-08-2016, 11:34 AM
I've definitely had to re-calibrate my views.

The one for our home game in Europe was as bad as I've seen, the away one was not much better.

I think we do have some decent refs in Scotland and I honestly think we've had some very good ones over the years. I do my best to stay neutral when it comes to appraising our refs and I think that sometimes on here refs get a hard time when they've actually been ok.

That's not to say that we haven't got some stinkers.

I also think there are variations in referees' performances - they have good games and bad games.

BoomtownHibees
05-08-2016, 11:38 AM
I've definitely had to re-calibrate my views.

The one for our home game in Europe was as bad as I've seen, the away one was not much better.

I think we do have some decent refs in Scotland and I honestly think we've had some very good ones over the years. I do my best to stay neutral when it comes to appraising our refs and I think that sometimes on here refs get a hard time when they've actually been ok.

That's not to say that we haven't got some stinkers.

I also think there are variations in referees' performances - they have good games and bad games.

And we always tend to get them on their bad days

Smartie
05-08-2016, 11:44 AM
And we always tend to get them on their bad days

We got a couple on their good days when we needed it most - at Tynecastle and at Hampden in the final.

Good, fair, honest refereeing performances allowing it all to be about the players.

BoomtownHibees
05-08-2016, 11:46 AM
We got a couple on their good days when we needed it most - at Tynecastle and at Hampden in the final.

Good, fair, honest refereeing performances allowing it all to be about the players.

Agreed. 2 out of 40 odd games is no bad

GreenLake
05-08-2016, 12:51 PM
The referee in the last Scottish Cup Final was excellent.

southsider
05-08-2016, 01:02 PM
Maybe time for uefa to look at referee appointments.We have had some shocking officials lately.

I watched Aberdeen game last night. Ref imho was bent. That's us and Dons robbed by embarrassingly bad officials. Scotland's other representitive in Euopa cup were just an embarrassment.

HoboHarry
05-08-2016, 01:15 PM
I've said a number of times on different threads that the fans in every country in the world think that their referees are the worst. Ours are no better or worse than any other country....