PDA

View Full Version : Official Site: NEIL LENNON UEFA SUSPENSION

RSS Bot
02-08-2016, 04:30 PM
More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/6681)

GreenCastle
02-08-2016, 04:35 PM
5 game European ban....ouch...

Scouse Hibee
02-08-2016, 04:47 PM
Ridiculously harsh.

Alfred E Newman
02-08-2016, 04:50 PM
Ridiculously harsh.

No doubt they will see Hibs as a soft touch. In their eyes manager of a wee club from a duff league so they can throw the book at him and nobody will bat an eyelid..

Gerard
02-08-2016, 05:02 PM
It seems very harsh and not a proportionate judgement for what !ennon did.

SouthMoroccoStu
02-08-2016, 05:05 PM
Bloody hell! 5 euro games! That's about 12 years at Hibs
;)

MWHIBBIES
02-08-2016, 05:11 PM
He appealed a shocking decision that cost the club thousands.

Frazerbob
02-08-2016, 05:14 PM
He made a slitting throat gesture to the linesman, not surprised he's been hammered.

Thecat23
02-08-2016, 05:16 PM
He made a slitting throat gesture to the linesman, not surprised he's been hammered.

No he didn't. He asked why he chopped it off. The gesture was very clear. All around us couldn't believe it.

Frazerbob
02-08-2016, 05:18 PM
No he didn't. He asked why he chopped it off. The gesture was very clear. All around us couldn't believe it.

I didn't see it but was sat right behind the dugout and several folk around me did, including my Dad. Plenty folk were saying it was a slit throat gesture. If they all thought that, no real surprise the 4th official did as well TBH.

Real Emerald
02-08-2016, 05:19 PM

If that's true it's unacceptable behaviour from a manager and not something you want to see. However, I was on holiday and didn't see it so no idea if it is true. After the cup final debacle the club could really do without this.

CapitalGreen
02-08-2016, 05:26 PM
I didn't see what happened but I'm going to comment on how awful it was based on the hearsay of others.

Frazerbob
02-08-2016, 05:29 PM
I didn't see what happened but I'm going to comment on how awful it was based on the hearsay of others.

Wind your neck in, plenty folk around me at the time saw it and were in no doubt about what they saw, including my father. That isn't "hearsay of others" in my book. As I said, if they all thought it was a slit throat gesture, is it really a surprise the 4th official did? I fully expected him to get hammered.

CapitalGreen
02-08-2016, 05:33 PM
Wind your neck in, plenty folk around me at the time saw it and were in no doubt about what they saw, including my father. That isn't "hearsay of others" in my book. As I said, if they all thought it was a slit throat gesture, is it really a surprise the 4th official did? I fully expected him to get hammered.

He did a cut throat gesture to the fourth official?

Frazerbob
02-08-2016, 05:36 PM
He did a cut throat gesture to the fourth official?

He did, what was perceived as, a cut throat gesture to the linesman who flagged JC offside for the goal which was witnessed by the 4th official by all accounts.

NORTHERNHIBBY
02-08-2016, 05:41 PM
Be quite happy if we have five European games coming up in the near future for him to miss TBH.

Just Jimmy
02-08-2016, 05:44 PM
He did, what was perceived as, a cut throat gesture to the linesman who flagged JC offside for the goal which was witnessed by the 4th official by all accounts.
And the linesman, fourth official and referee all saw that despite the fact they all missed JC's legitimate goal which ultimately cost us the tie.

I know who should be banned from europe and it isn't Neil lennon.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The_Horde
02-08-2016, 05:47 PM
The cut throat gesture wasn't a cut throat gesture at all. It was a why did you chop it off gesture.

Thecat23
02-08-2016, 06:02 PM
This is unreal, I seen it with my own eyes and if folk think he was making a cut throat gesture then the world has gone mad! He was shouting why is it "CHOPPED OFF" while putting his hand across his neck for the chopping gesture!

You honestly think a manager in this day and age would do a your dead gesture to any of the officials?

Thecat23
02-08-2016, 06:02 PM
The cut throat gesture wasn't a cut throat gesture at all. It was a why did you chop it off gesture.

Exactly I honestly can't believe this.

Since90+2
02-08-2016, 06:08 PM
People seriously think Neil Lennon would do a cut your throat gesture to an official? As has been said it was a notion to ask why the goal was chopped off.

No doubt it will become hearsay that Lennon did indeed do the cut throat gesture shortly on social media and it will become gospel.

Frazerbob
02-08-2016, 06:10 PM
This is unreal, I seen it with my own eyes and if folk think he was making a cut throat gesture then the world has gone mad! He was shouting why is it "CHOPPED OFF" while putting his hand across his neck for the chopping gesture!

You honestly think a manager in this day and age would do a your dead gesture to any of the officials?

The World went mad long ago mate. The wording in the statement would suggest the officials saw it that way and the fact that many Hibs fans did also would suggest that it could have been interpreted that way. The only person who knows for definite is Neil Lennon.

To answer your question, yes I do think some managers in this day and age are capable of it.

Frazerbob
02-08-2016, 06:12 PM
People seriously think Neil Lennon would do a cut your throat gesture to an official? As has been said it was a notion to ask why the goal was chopped off.

No doubt it will become hearsay that Lennon did indeed do the cut throat gesture shortly on social media and it will become gospel.

It's been doing the round on social media since about 10 minutes after he was sent to the stand.

Fife-Hibee
02-08-2016, 06:13 PM
My son and I saw it, he was deffo asking why he chopped the goal off. Anything else is absurd !

blackpoolhibs
02-08-2016, 06:14 PM
What is the difference between a cut throat gesture and a chopping gesture? And who does either gesture anyway? ( Lennon apart)

Finn2015
02-08-2016, 06:22 PM
Never saw it but I'm outraged 😳

Hibee87
02-08-2016, 06:30 PM
Ffs even if it was a cut throat gesture what's the big deal? When did that gesture mean anything other than an invitation for a square go after the school bell? Could they not just have went toe to toe in the car park like we done 20 year ago!!

Thecat23
02-08-2016, 06:37 PM
The World went mad long ago mate. The wording in the statement would suggest the officials saw it that way and the fact that many Hibs fans did also would suggest that it could have been interpreted that way. The only person who knows for definite is Neil Lennon.

To answer your question, yes I do think some managers in this day and age are capable of it.

Yeah very true it has. All those around me were of the same view of what I seen. One or two didn't see anything and were confused! But I honestly can't believe how folk thought he done that gesture when he was also very clear when he was shouting.

No wonder Hibs are appealing it though because it's ludicrous. Neil Lennon may give his own statement and clear it up.

CropleyWasGod
02-08-2016, 06:38 PM
I thought the expression was "chalked off", no?

If that's the case, the "chopped off "defence fails :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Thecat23
02-08-2016, 06:39 PM
Not being funny but maybe because of his rep are fans assuming that's what he done? If Stubbs done the same thing I honestly don't think anyone would believe it and quite simply realise he was asking why it was chopped off?

iwasthere1972
02-08-2016, 06:40 PM
5 game ban is harsh but it's not as if we get into Europe every year, two years, three years etc so it's unlikely that Neil Lennon will still be with us the next time we're in Europe.

Thecat23
02-08-2016, 06:40 PM
I thought the expression was "chalked off", no?

If that's the case, the "chopped off "defence fails :)

That's a term I would use but as the refs that night were Spanish I can see why he was trying to gesture a "chopped off" goal.

CropleyWasGod
02-08-2016, 06:44 PM
That's a term I would use but as the refs that night were Spanish I can see why he was trying to gesture a "chopped off" goal.
Is the Spanish for "why was the goal chalked/chopped off?" the same as "I'm gonny chib you after the game"?

That may be the problem here.

Bristolhibby
02-08-2016, 06:44 PM
Has he got any kind of U spend suspended sentence from his time with Celtic?

J

Frazerbob
02-08-2016, 06:50 PM
Not being funny but maybe because of his rep are fans assuming that's what he done? If Stubbs done the same thing I honestly don't think anyone would believe it and quite simply realise he was asking why it was chopped off?

Absolutely no doubt that his reputation has played a part. When I was told, I didn't exactly dismiss it as a ridiculous suggestion. In fact the discussions on the bus back to Aberdeen pretty much agreed that we've gone from a manager who was probably too nice to one with a nasty streak and that's exactly what we need.

Thecat23
02-08-2016, 06:54 PM
Is the Spanish for "why was the goal chalked/chopped off?" the same as "I'm gonny chib you after the game"?

That may be the problem here.

I've seen many gestures of "your dead" that was nothing like one. Did you see it? If so surely you could see what he was meaning and also shouting.

Thecat23
02-08-2016, 06:56 PM
Absolutely no doubt that his reputation has played a part. When I was told, I didn't exactly dismiss it as a ridiculous suggestion. In fact the discussions on the bus back to Aberdeen pretty much agreed that we've gone from a manager who was probably too nice to one with a nasty streak and that's exactly what we need.

That's what I think. We do need a manager who is a winner and not soft but he never done a gesture that he'd kill the linesman or anyone else. I was laughing when the ref ran over as I thought he was just having a chat then he just pointed to the stand I couldn't believe it.

The_Horde
02-08-2016, 07:00 PM
Ffs even if it was a cut throat gesture what's the big deal? When did that gesture mean anything other than an invitation for a square go after the school bell? Could they not just have went toe to toe in the car park like we done 20 year ago!!

It was more flat hand coming into neck chopping gesture. A slit throat gesture to me is drawing your finger across your throat which wasn't the case at all.

Thecat23
02-08-2016, 07:01 PM
It was more flat hand coming into neck chopping gesture. A slit throat gesture to me is drawing your finger across your throat which wasn't the case at all.

This. 👆🏼

Waxy
02-08-2016, 07:03 PM
Shouldnt have been sent off in the first place. Ridiculous and we must fight the suspension to the max.

Cosmic Truth
02-08-2016, 07:11 PM

Correct.

AZhibee
02-08-2016, 07:12 PM
Be quite happy if we have five European games coming up in the near future for him to miss TBH.

😊
Definitely

basehibby
02-08-2016, 08:04 PM
Utter joke decision from UEFA - but considering the useless bunch of clowns who officiated at Easter Road I suppose we shouldn't be too surprised they've got this wrong as well.

Eyrie
02-08-2016, 08:11 PM
Given that this is UEFA, Lennon would have got a shorter ban for racially abusing the officials as opposed to just questioning their incompetence.

Smartie
02-08-2016, 08:20 PM
At the time I thought he was sent off for objecting to Tam McCourt getting sent off.

Frazerbob
02-08-2016, 08:44 PM
At the time I thought he was sent off for objecting to Tam McCourt getting sent off.

Tam was trying take one for the team but his cunning plan didn't work.

lucky
02-08-2016, 09:18 PM
I could not care less about his ban. It's a waste of the clubs money to appeal. His ban against Brondby hardly effected us.

cookin_on_gaz
02-08-2016, 09:26 PM
I actually believe that a manager sitting in the stand can be a benefit. It allows you to see the game from a better angle than you do at pitch side; I believe Alex Ferguson used to do this, although admittedly he was still able to communicate to those in the dugout.

Scott Allan Key
02-08-2016, 10:28 PM
I actually believe that a manager sitting in the stand can be a benefit. It allows you to see the game from a better angle than you do at pitch side; I believe Alex Ferguson used to do this, although admittedly he was still able to communicate to those in the dugout.

Raises an interesting question, what's to stop a manager from phoning to coach or players while absented at half-time, etc for motivation, tactics, subs, etc?

Technology very versatile these days.

silverhibee
02-08-2016, 11:00 PM
I could not care less about his ban. It's a waste of the clubs money to appeal. His ban against Brondby hardly effected us.

With you on this one, I would also say it is a waste of time appealing this from Hibs, just a hunch but I just can't see Hibs/Neil Lennon winning this appeal against Fifa/UEFA and let's be honest here its not going to benefit Hibs in the future, only Neil Lennon.

Just a thought, if Hibs lose the appeal can Fifa/UEFA impose any sanctions on the club as well as increasing Lennon's ban.

RoxburghHibs
03-08-2016, 07:06 AM

This 100%

His gesture was questioning why the goal was chalked off he wasn't threatening to kill them FFS!

I get why the officials might not have understood what he was communicating (they are Spanish) so the meaning would have been lost on them. Neil would have been speaking in English, to Spanish speaking officials, and when you do this it's normal to also make hand gestures to help communicate your point. If they could have understood the words used they would have realised.

So it should be a simple case of appealing the ban for the "threatening gesture" as that's not what he was doing.

hibbysam
03-08-2016, 07:44 AM

Absolutely this. He had both hands up at his head, flat hand and as you say it was the "Chopping" motion as if to say "No way" and it was to the 4th Official. Absurd to say it was anything else, and as for "Assault"... Unbelievable from UEFA but would we really expect anything else?

oneone73
03-08-2016, 07:45 AM
let's be honest here its not going to benefit Hibs in the future, only Neil Lennon.

We do however have a duty of care to our employees. That includes supporting them in cases like this.

JimBHibees
03-08-2016, 08:18 AM
Seems incredibly harsh and deserves to be appealed.

MB62
03-08-2016, 09:33 AM
so no film footage of this action available?

Their word against ours and they will win, unfortunately.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
03-08-2016, 09:51 AM
Terribly harsh.

Itsnoteasy
03-08-2016, 03:50 PM

http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/top%20marks.gif