PDA

View Full Version : Scott Allan

Coults1875
02-08-2016, 03:40 PM
Sorry if already posted....

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scott-allan-set-leave-celtic-8546307#0cfU05Jc6K1xtcmY.97

Away to rejoin Stubbsy for a years loan spell.

Hopefully this is the start of the Celtic clear out and good news coming our way with Hendo.

Alfred E Newman
02-08-2016, 03:58 PM
Sorry if already posted....

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scott-allan-set-leave-celtic-8546307#0cfU05Jc6K1xtcmY.97

Away to rejoin Stubbsy for a years loan spell.

Hopefully this is the start of the Celtic clear out and good news coming our way with Hendo.

Good move for the guy .

HibsNutter
02-08-2016, 05:03 PM
Regarding the clear out, Marciano has been here long enough to finalise the deal. Maybe waiting to announce him and Henderson at the same time?

StevieCowan
02-08-2016, 05:26 PM
Not joining the Hertz then as those ITK posters on JKB said.. When will they learn ;)

ancient hibee
02-08-2016, 05:36 PM
Could be in the Scottish team in a few months.

Greencore
02-08-2016, 05:37 PM
Good luck to him.

Scouse Hibee
02-08-2016, 05:42 PM
Who?

3pm
02-08-2016, 05:49 PM
Indebted to Scott for his part in our Scottish Cup success along with Robbie Neilson and Andy Halliday.

Captain Trips
02-08-2016, 06:01 PM
Scott Allen was given a chance at Hibs and at almost first opportunity wanted a move and didnt care a jot about the club that gave him another chance, so basically F*** Scott Allen

Billy McKirdy
02-08-2016, 06:48 PM
Scott Allen was given a chance at Hibs and at almost first opportunity wanted a move and didnt care a jot about the club that gave him another chance, so basically F*** Scott Allen
Definitely this

My_Wife_Camille
02-08-2016, 06:51 PM
One of the very few genuine class players that Scotland has produced recently. A great player to watch and I hope he reaches his potential.

LustForLeith
02-08-2016, 06:57 PM

A few folk I know had the misfortune of bumping into him and some of his Rangers pals in Ibiza just after the final this summer. They're of the opinion judging by his actions at the time he's an erse

mjhibby
02-08-2016, 06:57 PM
One of the very few genuine class players that Scotland has produced recently. A great player to watch and I hope he reaches his potential.

As much as he was an Erse of the highest order he was a superb passer of the ball and on a par with latapy when he put his mind to it. Has no application or appetite to achieve things hence the reason a man of his talents is at Rotherham on loan. A wasted talent a bit like myself as I was lacking in the application bit in my youth.

iwasthere1972
02-08-2016, 07:01 PM

:agree:

Scouse Hibee
02-08-2016, 07:05 PM

A bit OTT in my opinion,he was decent nothing more and certainly not done anything to be announced as genuine class,far from it.

northstandhibby
02-08-2016, 07:10 PM

Ended up signing for Rotherham that classy team fully befitting such a genuine class act.

Glory Glory

MWHIBBIES
02-08-2016, 07:25 PM
As much as he was an Erse of the highest order he was a superb passer of the ball and on a par with latapy when he put his mind to it. Has no application or appetite to achieve things hence the reason a man of his talents is at Rotherham on loan. A wasted talent a bit like myself as I was lacking in the application bit in my youth.Couldn't lace Latapys boots, Allan gave the ball away more than any player in that team.

Waxy
02-08-2016, 07:35 PM
Had a massive progression in his first year with us then just chucked himself back to square one. Probably will never be the player he could have been had he stayed. Nevermind.

Jim44
02-08-2016, 07:36 PM
The fact that SA is further up the pecking order at Parkhead yet is given out on loan to Rotherham, suggests that if we were satisfied with LH on loan, he might have been with us by now. Are we holding out in the hope that we might be able to get him on a permanent contract? It'll be disappointing if we hold out till the end of August, find out we can't buy him and then settle for a loan, if he is still available. I'd rather have taken him on loan a couple of weeks ago and let him get settled back into the team, because he's getting sod all football to talk about at the moment.

Lancs Harp
02-08-2016, 07:42 PM
If Scott Allan was that much of a class act he would have made it at Celtic and wouldn't be being farmed out to Rotherham United.

Decent player, but nothing more.

Onceinawhile
02-08-2016, 07:44 PM
Talented player. Lacking in application and an inability to put his career before his bank balance.

Danderhall Hibs
02-08-2016, 07:45 PM
If Scott Allan was that much of a class act he would have made it at Celtic and wouldn't be being farmed out to Rotherham United.

Decent player, but nothing more.

Massively over rated by a lot of folk.

Good player when he could be bothered (usually v Hearts and Rangers). Rarely made the difference in the tight games against the lesser lights IMO.

We were a better team last season without him in it.

MWHIBBIES
02-08-2016, 07:46 PM
The fact that SA is further up the pecking order at Parkhead yet is given out on loan to Rotherham, suggests that if we were satisfied with LH on loan, he might have been with us by now. Are we holding out in the hope that we might be able to get him on a permanent contract? It'll be disappointing if we hold out till the end of August, find out we can't buy him and then settle for a loan, if he is still available. I'd rather have taken him on loan a couple of weeks ago and let him get settled back into the team, because he's getting sod all football to talk about at the moment.Waiting an extra few weeks to get one of Scotlands best young midfielders on a permanent deal is well worth it.

Thecat23
02-08-2016, 07:48 PM
As a player thought he was fantastic who could really do something when he had the ball. Enjoyed watching him when he was here.

Sad how it all panned out to be honest but sometimes players just waste talent and regret it down the line. I'd actually like to see him do well and get into the Scotland team down the line.

jeffers
02-08-2016, 08:04 PM
Surprised by some of the comments. Putting aside how he acted to engineer his move away, he was a class act on the field. His performance against the Rangers in the 4-0 game was sublime, one of the best performances I've seen from a Hibs player in years.

Thecat23
02-08-2016, 08:06 PM
Surprised by some of the comments. Putting aside how he acted to engineer his move away, he was a class act on the field. His performance against the Rangers in the 4-0 game was sublime, one of the best performances I've seen from a Hibs player in years.

Couldn't agree more. Ran the show that day and was great to watch.

Big L
02-08-2016, 08:08 PM
I'm not sure Delia wanted SA! I think Celtic took him to ram it up Sevco. I think SA has been unlucky. Rodgers has come in and will off load some and build his own squad. He and the board will be waiting to see if they get to the CL proper and they will no how much cash is coming in. Then the purge will begin and hopefully we get 1 or 2 Inc Hendon.

MWHIBBIES
02-08-2016, 08:10 PM
Surprised by some of the comments. Putting aside how he acted to engineer his move away, he was a class act on the field. His performance against the Rangers in the 4-0 game was sublime, one of the best performances I've seen from a Hibs player in years.He was good in a team built around giving him the ball. McGeouch was always a far better all round player.

Captain Trips
02-08-2016, 08:13 PM

I support Hibs not Scott Allan, season one excellent, season 2 totally disrespectful to the club and fans and jeopardised our early seadon form. So he can do one.

There are 100s of players who did well at Hibs and moved on with far more grace and respect. I do not care what he does in game if not at Hibs

Eyrie
02-08-2016, 08:15 PM
He was good in a team built around giving him the ball. McGeouch was always a far better all round player.
Correct, and fortunately we were able to get McGeouch permanently as part of the Allan deal.

Reuniting with Stubbs is the best thing Allan could do at this point in his career.

keep the faith
02-08-2016, 08:19 PM
He was good in a team built around giving him the ball. McGeouch was always a far better all round player.

Ha ha. Unfortunately no way is Dylan a better player than scott allan.

jeffers
02-08-2016, 08:20 PM

Couldn't disagree more, what does McGeouch actually do (when he's not out injured ?) He's decent but never scores, rarely creates chances. If he was so good why did Celtic let him go as part of the Allan deal ?

brog
02-08-2016, 08:20 PM

I agree 100%. I think people need to realise there's very few 1 club players these days & effectively every player is on loan, only the length of time varies. I know the circumstances of SA's departure left a sour taste but we did well financially & on the playing side with his transfer. We should just enjoy players like Allan while he's with us. I wish him well.

Scotthibs1875
02-08-2016, 08:21 PM
Quite comfortably the best attacking midfielder we've had since Scott Brown. I think Rotherham is a great move for him as it gives him another chance at English football & Stubbs has already proved he can get the best out of him.

jeffers
02-08-2016, 08:22 PM
I support Hibs not Scott Allan, season one excellent, season 2 totally disrespectful to the club and fans and jeopardised our early seadon form. So he can do one.

There are 100s of players who did well at Hibs and moved on with far more grace and respect. I do not care what he does in game if not at Hibs

Should have been clearer, meant to say surprised by some of the comments re his ability. Don't disagree with your post.

Captain Trips
02-08-2016, 08:23 PM
Should have been clearer, meant to say surprised by some of the comments re his ability. Don't disagree with your post.

No probs

calumhibee1
02-08-2016, 08:27 PM
Scott Allan was outstanding for Hibs and deservedly POTY. People are letting his actions cloud there judgment IMO. Outstanding player who if he does well down there could be in the Scotland squad.

Scouse Hibee
02-08-2016, 08:31 PM
Let's see what this outstanding class act of a player does at Rotheram.

northstandhibby
02-08-2016, 08:35 PM
I agree 100%. I think people need to realise there's very few 1 club players these days & effectively every player is on loan, only the length of time varies. I know the circumstances of SA's departure left a sour taste but we did well financially & on the playing side with his transfer. We should just enjoy players like Allan while he's with us. I wish him well.

Most people would agree with you that when a bigger club comes in for a player and wants to triple or even quadruple the wages the player is on that it is just the way of football. However most clubs will do it in the right manner by seeking permission to talk to the player and treat the club with respect and the fans while being frustrated at potentially losing a key player are at least satisfied their club is being treated respectfully.

Can anyone honestly say Allen's move away from Hibernian was anything other than a manipulation by him, his agent and the Daily Ranger Radar Jackson. I hate Allen with a passion for the utter disrespect he showed to the club I love. A rat of the worst kind who treats clubs with utter contempt.

Glory Glory

neil7908
02-08-2016, 08:35 PM
Think folk are getting a bit carried away about how good a player he is. He's got talent and you could see his ability shine through on occasion but we need to remember the quality of opposition he was playing against. Twice now he's moved to a more competitive environment (West Brom and Celtic) and has failed to make the grade.

I honestly wouldn't take him back, McGinn and a fully fit Mcgeough are much better all round players than he is and offer far more to the team

mjhibby
02-08-2016, 08:38 PM
Think folk are getting a bit carried away about how good a player he is. He's got talent and you could see his ability shine through on occasion but we need to remember the quality of opposition he was playing against. Twice now he's moved to a more competitive environment (West Brom and Celtic) and has failed to make the grade.

I honestly wouldn't take him back, McGinn and a fully fit Mcgeough are much better all round players than he is and offer far more to the team

Allan had more talent but McGinn and mcgeogh do indeed offer more to the team. Mcgeogh is very underrated IMHO and when he was missing last season it was very noticeable.

neil7908
02-08-2016, 08:41 PM
Allan had more talent but McGinn and mcgeogh do indeed offer more to the team. Mcgeogh is very underrated IMHO and when he was missing last season it was very noticeable.

Agree about Mcgeough, at first I wasn't totally convinced by him but I think he really controls the game for us. Injuries have taken their toll on him I suspect and if he can stay fit and get a run of games together think we'll see him back to his best

Dashing Bob S
02-08-2016, 08:42 PM
Let's see what this outstanding class act of a player does at Rotheram.

Great football player but his mentality has to be questioned. I think anybody of his ability managing to spend not one, but two seasons gathering splinters, has displayed poor judgement.

This is big season for him. He needs to shine there and go on and play for a club who can guarantee him football, or you can see him falling down the Leagues as a skilled but slow, chubby journeyman who spends most of his time moaning at his teammates for not being good enough.

Dashing Bob S
02-08-2016, 08:46 PM

I think McGinn has surpassed Allan. Allan is a great passer of a ball and a visionary play maker, and probably shades it from McGinn here. However, he doesn't have the ball-winning capability, or the work ethic, or ability to impose himself on the game like McGinn.

McGeough made Allan and McGinn both look better, without being quite as good as either, but I fear that injuries are going to blight his career.

GreenLake
02-08-2016, 08:54 PM
The groundsman will be screwing a little brass plaque with Allen etched in onto the team subs bench.

MWHIBBIES
02-08-2016, 08:57 PM
Couldn't disagree more, what does McGeouch actually do (when he's not out injured ?) He's decent but never scores, rarely creates chances. If he was so good why did Celtic let him go as part of the Allan deal ?Did you see what happened when McGeouch was injured last season? We fell to bits. He in an exceptional player. This team without McGeouch was hopeless, this team without Allan won the Scottish Cup.

https://twitter.com/BumperGraham/status/730178408882253826

Tweet from Graham Hunter, a guy who has spent the last 15 years watching Xavi and Iniesta.

Dunbar Hibee
02-08-2016, 09:02 PM
Such a talented player and I loved him watching him as a Hibs player.

Unfortunately, he then turned in to a backstabbing wee ****.

Lancs Harp
02-08-2016, 09:02 PM
I think McGinn has surpassed Allan. Allan is a great passer of a ball and a visionary play maker, and probably shades it from McGinn here. However, he doesn't have the ball-winning capability, or the work ethic, or ability to impose himself on the game like McGinn.

McGeough made Allan and McGinn both look better, without being quite as good as either, but I fear that injuries are going to blight his career.

By and large agree with that DB but differ regarding McGinns ball wining capability, think thats the weakest part of his game and an area he needs to work on. However having said that the thing that will stop John making it to the top of his game is his lack of speed IMO.

Chip shop Joe
02-08-2016, 09:03 PM
I do like Dylan and think he is a good player but Allan is a superb player.

I would much rather have Allan and McGinn than Dylan and McGinn all things being equal.

brianmc
02-08-2016, 09:41 PM
Excellent player on his day in the second tier of Scottish football. Sadly lacking in the personality/morals department. Sold his soul for a move to the huns - then signed for Celtic when that move didn't happen.... Tells you all you need to know about him.
Little rat. Hope he fails miserably down south(for a second time) and we never hear his name again.

brog
02-08-2016, 09:46 PM
Did you see what happened when McGeouch was injured last season? We fell to bits. He in an exceptional player. This team without McGeouch was hopeless, this team without Allan won the Scottish Cup.

Tweet from Graham Hunter, a guy who has spent the last 15 years watching Xavi and Iniesta.

I like Dylan but your statement above is far too simplistic.
The hopeless team without Dylan horsed Yams out the cup, we were losing at PBS when Dylan went off after 30 mins. We beat The Rangers twice at ER, Dylan played 20 minutes in total. IMO our best performance of the season was our 3-0 win over Arabs in LC, Dylan didn't play. He did however play in our only home defeat of the season, 3-0 to Morton. As I said, far too simplistic.

Captain Trips
02-08-2016, 10:01 PM
Aye good season but when push came to shove toys oot the pram and we go into petrofact game and lose 6-2 to that mob not helped by changing team around due to the pish. Didnt help either with first couple of league matches either.

For me undid the good season and was happy to leave Hibs even if it caused problems. So for me grade A cock and like ge did to Hibs f+++ his career. I will now sign off from Scott Allan as he has taken up to much of my time already.

MWHIBBIES
02-08-2016, 10:10 PM
The hopeless team without Dylan horsed Yams out the cup, we were losing at PBS when Dylan went off after 30 mins. We beat The Rangers twice at ER, Dylan played 20 minutes in total. IMO our best performance of the season was our 3-0 win over Arabs in LC, Dylan didn't play. He did however play in our only home defeat of the season, 3-0 to Morton. As I said, far too simplistic.There is no real way to prove one is better than the other. I said all through Stubbs first season than I preferred McGeouch and I still do. Offers far more to our team than Allan.

Mibbes Aye
02-08-2016, 10:14 PM
Massively over rated by a lot of folk.

Good player when he could be bothered (usually v Hearts and Rangers). Rarely made the difference in the tight games against the lesser lights IMO.

We were a better team last season without him in it.

:agree:

Always looking to play a Hollywood pass. When it worked it was great, but as often as not it cost us possession.

Couldn't disagree more, what does McGeouch actually do (when he's not out injured ?) He's decent but never scores, rarely creates chances. If he was so good why did Celtic let him go as part of the Allan deal ?

When Dylan plays he's the metronome of the team, he anchors our possession - he's not there for his scoring threat. I think the Graham Hunter tweet quoted above is a perfect summary - he performs the kind of role that Xavi did for Barca at a much higher level. As a coach, you're desperate for a player like McGeouch in your eleven, far more important than a Scott Allan.

jeffers
02-08-2016, 10:19 PM
The hopeless team without Dylan horsed Yams out the cup, we were losing at PBS when Dylan went off after 30 mins. We beat The Rangers twice at ER, Dylan played 20 minutes in total. IMO our best performance of the season was our 3-0 win over Arabs in LC, Dylan didn't play. He did however play in our only home defeat of the season, 3-0 to Morton. As I said, far too simplistic.

Agree with that brog. I'm not saying McGeouch is a bad player, but I just don't get the hype. I've read on here he is our best player, I wouldn't even have him in my top 3. He's a worker, a team player something you couldn't level at Allan. But I'd far rather watch Allan than McGeouch.

truehibernian
02-08-2016, 10:32 PM

Agree a wee bit with you mate but it was absolutely engineered by his agent who had his own The Rangers agenda - silver lining - SA was the reason we managed to get Dylan, Liam and I'd argue Stokes !

I loved Scott Allan, finest player technically I've seen at Hibs in decades - attitude seemed to be turning too (under Stubbs) until his agent got involved and Warburton thought he could act like the proverbial fandan - I'd say fuelled by Weir - he's got a face you'd never ever trust !

I care about what he does because he's arguably one of our best talents that through mismanagement,attitude, poor guidance, will become the nearly man.

hibs4life
02-08-2016, 10:34 PM
Loads of talent but liked to hold on to the ball for a bit too long on many occasions. Did have some really good games for us and hopefully he'll make a decent fist of his career but not sure he'd have made the difference last season if he'd stayed with us.
All IMHO of course.

Boyle89
02-08-2016, 10:47 PM
Ha ha. Unfortunately no way is Dylan a better player than scott allan.

Dylan can tackle, never stops running and can dictate games just as well as Allan could. Think you're forgetting Allan didn't exactly score a shedload when he was here and our game plan was basically give the ball to him! I'd have Dylan over Allan any day.

erin go bragh
02-08-2016, 10:54 PM
SA was class on the park . The same cannot be said for him off it .

NadeAteMyLunch!
02-08-2016, 11:02 PM
Bit of rewriting of history from some on here. Allan was absolutely outstanding for us.
However, his behaviour was a disgrace in the end and I'm still not convinced he'll reach the heights he could because of his attitude and questionable morals.
Disappointed when he left but all' well that ends well. If he hadn't left then we wouldn't have got Hendo on loan. Would anyone else have delivered that ball on to Gray's head on the 21st May? I doubt it.

Booked4Being-Ugly
02-08-2016, 11:05 PM
Couldn't disagree more, what does McGeouch actually do (when he's not out injured ?) He's decent but never scores, rarely creates chances. If he was so good why did Celtic let him go as part of the Allan deal ?Erm, a team player who wins Scottish cups! :crazy:

jeffers
02-08-2016, 11:17 PM
Erm, a team player who wins Scottish cups! :crazy:

He won us the cup did he ? Other players contributed to the win far more than him.:crazy:

IWasThere2016
02-08-2016, 11:22 PM
Fabulous player.

Better than we have, HOWEVER he won't achieve as much as some at Hibs now as he has been badly advised and made some bad choices.

Booked4Being-Ugly
02-08-2016, 11:26 PM
He won us the cup did he ? Other players contributed to the win far more than him.:crazy:It's you that's http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/crazy%20smiley.gif claiming McGeogh doesn't do much for us!

jeffers
02-08-2016, 11:33 PM
It's you that's http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/crazy%20smiley.gif claiming McGeogh doesn't do much for us!

That's your opinion. Like I said I think he's decent and I watch him almost every game (well when he's not out with his latest injury) and I don't see anything special. But it's all about opinions.

Leith Mo
02-08-2016, 11:33 PM
SA was class on the park . The same cannot be said for him off it .

Agree with this in respect of the manner in which his agent engineered a move away from us. SA has also done some nice things off the park which maybe haven't gained as much notoriety. Every Celtic fan I've spoken to/heard has said he turned games for them on the very few times he got on the park. Should have stayed with us at least another year but I hope he learns from his (& his agent's) mistakes. Class player with us who got bums off seats

Mibbes Aye
02-08-2016, 11:35 PM
He won us the cup did he ? Other players contributed to the win far more than him.:crazy:

There's more to football than being the guy who knocks it into the net or the guy who skills an opponent with a nutmeg or a feint and gets everyone cheering.

To win games we need to control games. Stubbs set up his team to play a formation which was based on McGeouch sitting deep and central, one assumes because he was the player Stubbs wanted to build his team around. The shape of the team was dictated IMO by starting with McGeouch then building around that.

He led in dictating our possession and that, to my mind, takes a lot more football intelligence and discipline than having a stepover or the eye for a cute pass. No one is saying Scott Allan is a bad footballer, quite the opposite, he could play a ball that no one else in the squad could. The point is that McGeouch is a smarter footballer - he's not trying to be clever at the expense of losing the ball, he's controlling his game and our game by choosing the right passes at the right time more frequently.

I think he's a lovely player to watch and I think the problem with Scottish football for a long, long time has been that there's a tendency to prize a Scott Allan over a Dylan McGeouch - if they were playing in a continental league I think it would be clear who was more highly-prized.

Highland_Hibee
02-08-2016, 11:39 PM
Astounded to see some folk even suggest that Scott Allan was anything short of a classy player for us. He was the best player in the league that first season, even many of the Jumbos admitted it. I'm still of the opinion the Celtic move was orchestrated entirely by Stubbsy. He was adamant Scott Allan would not be sold to the Rangers and he was true to his word. Allan got the money move he wanted and the Rangers were left seething. I suppose the same folk who think he is a poor player because he can't get into the Celtic squad share the same opinion of Hendo? A midfield trio of Hendo Allan and McGinn would be unplayable at this level and they could all make a decent effort for the national team too....

Leith Mo
02-08-2016, 11:49 PM
Astounded to see some folk even suggest that Scott Allan was anything short of a classy player for us. He was the best player in the league that first season, even many of the Jumbos admitted it. I'm still of the opinion the Celtic move was orchestrated entirely by Stubbsy. He was adamant Scott Allan would not be sold to the Rangers and he was true to his word. Allan got the money move he wanted and the Rangers were left seething. I suppose the same folk who think he is a poor player because he can't get into the Celtic squad share the same opinion of Hendo? A midfield trio of Hendo Allan and McGinn would be unplayable at this level and they could all make a decent effort for the national team too....

His agent and pressure from his "pals" not Stubbs orchestrated his move. Mainly his agent. Hibs (including Stubbs) handled it perfectly re not selling to The Rangers as after all SA's "boyhood club" were by then dead.

Keyser Sauzee
02-08-2016, 11:50 PM
Ability wise SA was different class and is better than what we have currently, not by a long way mind u but still slightly better. People playing down how good he was when he was here I can only put down to bitterness at how he left, I didn't like to see him leave and how it transpired but that doesn't mean I'll lie about his time cause of that. I also think he'll do well with Rotherham as he will be playing in a team which teams won't sit in against and he will have space to play balls in behind and also play for a manager who can get him playing well.

jeffers
02-08-2016, 11:51 PM
There's more to football than being the guy who knocks it into the net or the guy who skills an opponent with a nutmeg or a feint and gets everyone cheering.

To win games we need to control games. Stubbs set up his team to play a formation which was based on McGeouch sitting deep and central, one assumes because he was the player Stubbs wanted to build his team around. The shape of the team was dictated IMO by starting with McGeouch then building around that.

He led in dictating our possession and that, to my mind, takes a lot more football intelligence and discipline than having a stepover or the eye for a cute pass. No one is saying Scott Allan is a bad footballer, quite the opposite, he could play a ball that no one else in the squad could. The point is that McGeouch is a smarter footballer - he's not trying to be clever at the expense of losing the ball, he's controlling his game and our game by choosing the right passes at the right time more frequently.

I think he's a lovely player to watch and I think the problem with Scottish football for a long, long time has been that there's a tendency to prize a Scott Allan over a Dylan McGeouch - if they were playing in a continental league I think it would be clear who was more highly-prized.

My point re the cup was a flippant response to the comment he wins us cups. He missed a few games during the run and as such others who played contributed more to the victory than him.

You put your points across re McGeough very well and get what you are saying. More than once I've had a similar discussion about him during games with another poster on here. I don't necessarily agree you need to control games to win them - the trouble with the dictating possesion was too often last season we didn't have an end product and struggled to break teams down. We were crying out for someone like Scott Allan to play that killer pass. Bearing in mind Scott Allan hasn't played a lot of football and imo with the continued coaching of Stubbs was only going to get better, I don't think he was trying to be clever for the sake of it - but what he needed to learn was when to play the simple pass.

.Sean.
03-08-2016, 02:43 AM
I hate the soor-pussed two-faced backstabbing wee rat and I hope he fails miserably.

**** Scott Allan :aok:

greenlex
03-08-2016, 04:07 AM
His disruption at the beginning of last season arguably cost us second place and possibly promotion.

HoboHarry
03-08-2016, 04:11 AM
His disruption at the beginning of last season arguably cost us second place and possibly promotion.
It was the slump we had towards the end of the season that cost us. Scott Allan had nothing to do with it.

Forza Fred
03-08-2016, 04:24 AM
Mr Allan could never be accused of letting club loyalty stand in the way of his personal interest

HoboHarry
03-08-2016, 04:36 AM
Mr Allan could never be accused of letting club loyalty stand in the way of his personal interest
Which makes him no different to most footballers and for good reason given the length of their maximum money earning potential.

Beefster
03-08-2016, 06:14 AM
I don't really get the hate towards Allan. I love watching him at Hibs. His exit could have been better but he was, in the main, great for us. If we had had 11 players with his ability, we would have gone up at the first time of asking.

Big_Franck
03-08-2016, 06:23 AM
I hope he struggles to get a game and is poor when he does.

easty
03-08-2016, 06:42 AM
I don't really care how he does, but I think he'll do alright.

jodjam
03-08-2016, 06:43 AM
My point re the cup was a flippant response to the comment he wins us cups. He missed a few games during the run and as such others who played contributed more to the victory than him.

You put your points across re McGeough very well and get what you are saying. More than once I've had a similar discussion about him during games with another poster on here. I don't necessarily agree you need to control games to win them - the trouble with the dictating possesion was too often last season we didn't have an end product and struggled to break teams down. We were crying out for someone like Scott Allan to play that killer pass. Bearing in mind Scott Allan hasn't played a lot of football and imo with the continued coaching of Stubbs was only going to get better, I don't think he was trying to be clever for the sake of it - but what he needed to learn was when to play the simple pass.

That'll be me then :wink:

Dylan makes us tick. Would be one of the first names on the team sheet every week.

BSEJVT
03-08-2016, 06:58 AM
Scott Allan was outstanding for Hibs and deservedly POTY. People are letting his actions cloud there judgment IMO. Outstanding player who if he does well down there could be in the Scotland squad.

Scott Allan blows hot and cold

On his day great player, not on his day, a waste of a jersey

His career progression, or lack thereof, has Scott marked down to be a serial underachiever.

Despicable individual who has shat mightily on any club to assist him and as a leopard doesn't change its spots will continue to do so.

Whilst I don't wish the guy any harm, the thought of him in a Scotland jersey gives me the dry boak.

The Spaceman
03-08-2016, 07:00 AM
Also don't understand the seething hatred towards Scott Allan. He was a fabulous player in his one season with us, he got a move to Celtic and a really tidy little profit for Hibs which allowed us to buy players like McGinn. Sure, he could have been more honourable but I genuinely believe he played a part in getting Hibs into the much better situation we find ourselves in today.

Iceman1875
03-08-2016, 07:08 AM
Also don't understand the seething hatred towards Scott Allan. He was a fabulous player in his one season with us, he got a move to Celtic and a really tidy little profit for Hibs which allowed us to buy players like McGinn. Sure, he could have been more honourable but I genuinely believe he played a part in getting Hibs into the much better situation we find ourselves in today.

Don't hate the guy he was a class player for that one season we had him. I felt the move to Celtic was right for all parties but what annoyed me was he didn't publicly thank Hibs and Stubbs for relighting his career. He'll do ok down there and end up at Aberdeen or Sevco is a year or two.

At Easter Road we play...

Viva_Palmeiras
03-08-2016, 07:18 AM
Arrested development.

Viva_Palmeiras
03-08-2016, 07:22 AM

I think you're right. His sale and Stubbs'/Leeann's/Craig's? Subsequent Recruitment gems, we've moved away from a heavy reliance on outstanding individuals (Griffiths, Allan) to one of the most balanced squads in ages. No longer snuff us out if you stop one player.

Steve20
03-08-2016, 07:35 AM
McGinn and McGeouch are both better. I'd also rather have Henderson as well.

PeeJay
03-08-2016, 07:49 AM
Think McGeouch is a really good player BUT his injury-proneness is a major problem - hope for his (and our) sake he gets through this season without any serious fitness issues, Must be tough for the guy being injured so often!
SA is a great talent, but he fully deserves to go to Rotherham

john18722
03-08-2016, 07:52 AM

Totally agree with all of this. McGeouch makes us tick.

GloryGlory
03-08-2016, 07:57 AM

This. :agree:

Salt N Sauzee
03-08-2016, 07:57 AM
**** Scott Allan. Stabbed the club and Alan Stubbs in the back when they gave him the opportunity to revive his career. Can't believe the comparisons to Latapy either, not even close to his level.

Scouse Hibee
03-08-2016, 07:59 AM
Being a success as a professional footballer involves commitment,attitude,desire,passion,fitness,along with skill and ability.

southfieldhibby
03-08-2016, 08:05 AM
Did you see what happened when McGeouch was injured last season? We fell to bits. He in an exceptional player. This team without McGeouch was hopeless, this team without Allan won the Scottish Cup.

It's not fashionable to say, but I think Fraser Fyvie getting a sore one at Morton was the start of our slide last year. The drop off was almost instant.

I liked Allan at Hibs, he was fun to watch. An especially minging day at Cowdenbeath springs to mind.But he couldn't carry Latapys boots to the game, and I'm much happier having the thinker Dylan running the show for us.

Russell>Dylan>Scott

HappyHanlon
03-08-2016, 08:13 AM
Scott Allan was a class act for us - if you can't see/acknowledge that, then there's clearly something wrong with you.

However, his antics off the field were disgusting and disrespectful to everyone connected to Hibs.

We won the Scottish Cup - he didn't!

snooky
03-08-2016, 08:22 AM
Scott Allan was a joy to watch.
He came, he played, he left.
He's now history like many before him good & bad however, WE are the Hibees - past, present & future.

ACLeith
03-08-2016, 08:25 AM
SA is definitely someone who triggers different opinions! So, here is mine.

A good friend is a Dundee United ST holder whose opinions I respect, when we signed Allan he said that the best 2 emerging talents he had seen at DU for a long time were him and Andy Robertson. He wished that as Houston was now away they had re-signed him.

IIRC, SA fell out with Houston quite quickly and got transferred. But like so many who go down south at an early age, it didn’t work out, not sure if he didn’t play well or fell out with the manager again.

Once he got fit, he was our stand-out player. How many of us on here know how the manoeuvring to get away started, was it him, his agent or was he tapped up unofficially by a mate in another team?

His career so far has been one of a rich talent, but seeming to have problems remaining at a club for any length of time. He is maybe at the “last chance saloon” with Rotherham, for his own sake he needs to focus on his talent – and maybe get a new agent.

GreenOnions
03-08-2016, 09:11 AM
I loved watching Scott play for Hibs. He played the game the way it ought to be played. I sometimes ask myself whether a particular player would have been the type of guy to get a game for a side managed by Brian Clough - who famously always wanted attacking football played on the deck. Cloughie was a disciplinarian but that didn't stop him buying "difficult" players and getting the best out of them. I think Scott would be the type of player who would fit into a Clough team. I'm not saying he's good enough to play in a European Cup Final. Just that he's a player Clough would have been interested in.

I don't think Scott handled his departure from Hibs well. However, he was young and immature and such a failure is not such a huge crime at that age IMHO. The poor behaviour came from The Rangers in the classless way in which they tried to "tap-up" Scott in order to unsettle the best player at their major rivals for promotion and to haggle down his price like some dodgy street loser trying to buy knock-off goods from the back of a lorry.

I'm pleased Scott has signed on loan at Rotheram. Stubbs has probably got as good a chance as anyone of getting him to begin to reach his potential. I really hope Scott makes it there and I wish him good luck and thank him for the enjoyment he gave me and others whilst watching him play for Hibs.

brog
03-08-2016, 09:23 AM
I loved watching Scott play for Hibs. He played the game the way it ought to be played. I sometimes ask myself whether a particular player would have been the type of guy to get a game for a side managed by Brian Clough - who famously always wanted attacking football played on the deck. Cloughie was a disciplinarian but that didn't stop him buying "difficult" players and getting the best out of them. I think Scott would be the type of player who would fit into a Clough team. I'm not saying he's good enough to play in a European Cup Final. Just that he's a player Clough would have been interested in.

I don't think Scott handled his departure from Hibs well. However, he was young and immature and such a failure is not such a huge crime at that age IMHO. The poor behaviour came from The Rangers in the classless way in which they tried to "tap-up" Scott in order to unsettle the best player at their major rivals for promotion and to haggle down his price like some dodgy street loser trying to buy knock-off goods from the back of a lorry.

I'm pleased Scott has signed on loan at Rotheram. Stubbs has probably got as good a chance as anyone of getting him to begin to reach his potential. I really hope Scott makes it there and I wish him good luck and thank him for the enjoyment he gave me and others whilst watching him play for Hibs.

Excellent post. I'm sure most of us on here did things in our youth that we regretted subsequently. I hope Stubbsy gets the best out of him.

Highland_Hibee
03-08-2016, 10:43 AM
His agent and pressure from his "pals" not Stubbs orchestrated his move. Mainly his agent. Hibs (including Stubbs) handled it perfectly re not selling to The Rangers as after all SA's "boyhood club" were by then dead.

I maybe worded that poorly I didn't mean Stubbs wanted him to move I just meant he made sure he in no way left for the Rangers. I agree that the club as a whole could not have handled the whole thing any more admirably. I guess I just like the thought of Stubbsy saying something like "Look you little rat if you want a move it ain't gonna be to that mob". :greengrin

Andy74
03-08-2016, 11:20 AM
Talented boy but an undoubted walloper.

MWHIBBIES
03-08-2016, 11:22 AM
It's not fashionable to say, but I think Fraser Fyvie getting a sore one at Morton was the start of our slide last year. The drop off was almost instant.

I liked Allan at Hibs, he was fun to watch. An especially minging day at Cowdenbeath springs to mind.But he couldn't carry Latapys boots to the game, and I'm much happier having the thinker Dylan running the show for us.

Russell>Dylan>Scott
I don't disagree about Fyvie, excellent player.

Dashing Bob S
03-08-2016, 11:27 AM
SA is definitely someone who triggers different opinions! So, here is mine.

A good friend is a Dundee United ST holder whose opinions I respect, when we signed Allan he said that the best 2 emerging talents he had seen at DU for a long time were him and Andy Robertson. He wished that as Houston was now away they had re-signed him.

IIRC, SA fell out with Houston quite quickly and got transferred. But like so many who go down south at an early age, it didn’t work out, not sure if he didn’t play well or fell out with the manager again.

Once he got fit, he was our stand-out player. How many of us on here know how the manoeuvring to get away started, was it him, his agent or was he tapped up unofficially by a mate in another team?

His career so far has been one of a rich talent, but seeming to have problems remaining at a club for any length of time. He is maybe at the “last chance saloon” with Rotherham, for his own sake he needs to focus on his talent – and maybe get a new agent.

Now that I know he fell out with Houston I'm revising my opinion of him.

Danderhall Hibs
03-08-2016, 12:16 PM

Russell>Dylan>Scott

I completely agree about Fyvies 6 weeks out being the bigger turning point. We've become accustomed to having McGeough for 30 mins here and there.

northstandhibby
03-08-2016, 12:25 PM
I completely agree about Fyvies 6 weeks out being the bigger turning point. We've become accustomed to having McGeough for 30 mins here and there.

Agree with Fyvie being more missed than Allen.

What irks me about the Allen situation is Craig Paterson was detested and a song sung about him which only died out a decade ago or so which most posters will remember - ''Craigie Paterson what's it like to be a hun, what's it like to, what's it like to, what's it like to be a hun, what's it like to be a hun'' and so on. That was because he signed for the huns from the Hi bees. As far as I remember he didn't instigate the move the huns came in for him and hibs sold him on.

How is it now people are waxing lyrical about Allen who attempted to instigate a move behind the scenes with his agent and the Daily Ranger to Sevco?

Changed days. Years ago he'd have been lynched if he came near ER ever again.

GGTTH

bigwheel
03-08-2016, 12:58 PM
Agree with Fyvie being more missed than Allen.

What irks me about the Allen situation is Craig Paterson was detested and a song sung about him which only died out a decade ago or so which most posters will remember - ''Craigie Paterson what's it like to be a hun, what's it like to, what's it like to, what's it like to be a hun, what's it like to be a hun'' and so on. That was because he signed for the huns from the Hi bees. As far as I remember he didn't instigate the move the huns came in for him and hibs sold him on.

How is it now people are waxing lyrical about Allen who attempted to instigate a move behind the scenes with his agent and the Daily Ranger to Sevco?

Changed days. Years ago he'd have been lynched if he came near ER ever again.

GGTTH

I sort of recall the song...but never had a feeling that Paterson was detested, and was always in my view held in decent regard, as a good Hibee

northstandhibby
03-08-2016, 01:03 PM
I sort of recall the song...but never had a feeling that Paterson was detested, and was always in my view held in decent regard, as a good Hibee

He most certainly was not held in decent regard when he moved to the Huns at that time, believe me.

GGTTH

greenlex
03-08-2016, 04:10 PM
McGinn was at Hibs before Allan went to Celtic. Allan's departure had nothing to do with McGinn being bought. I agree with the sentiment tho. I doubt Hendrson would have been with us and possibly McGeouch.

since90plustwo
03-08-2016, 06:08 PM
I get a little confused about people questioning Scott Allans attitude. He wanted to leave to go to a bigger club, who would pay him more. How many of us would stay in a job where you have the option to be earning more elsewhere? While this whole thing was going on, SA played 3 or 4 games for us scoring a couple of goals and was still by far the best player on the park giving 110%. How many players would throw the toys out the pram and give half a$$ed performances in these situations?

We got a great deal out of him. Picked him up from the gutter then played some sublime football for a year, sold him for a decent amount of money which brought in two brilliant footballers on long term contracts and a new cult hero in on loan. I have no problem with SA whatsoever and hope he does well down south.

HibsNutter
03-08-2016, 06:11 PM
Fs, first click on this thread and I read 'what does McGeouch do?' Fs, do you understand football? He's our most important player when he plays.

Andy74
03-08-2016, 06:13 PM
I get a little confused about people questioning Scott Allans attitude. He wanted to leave to go to a bigger club, who would pay him more. How many of us would stay in a job where you have the option to be earning more elsewhere? While this whole thing was going on, SA played 3 or 4 games for us scoring a couple of goals and was still by far the best player on the park giving 110%. How many players would throw the toys out the pram and give half a$$ed performances in these situations?

We got a great deal out of him. Picked him up from the gutter then played some sublime football for a year, sold him for a decent amount of money which brought in two brilliant footballers on long term contracts and a new cult hero in on loan. I have no problem with SA whatsoever and hope he does well down south.

The issue is that we got him back fit and playing and he had to make a big deal of trying to move on after just one year. And he wanted to go to our rivals for the league. As has panned out, he should have seen out his year, starred again and moved on with everyone's good wishes. The fact he couldn't bring himself to do that means he is fair game for our bad feelings.

Wee Effen Bee
03-08-2016, 06:33 PM

17272Is that THE airdrie jambo of years gone by at the bottom of that page?

jeffers
03-08-2016, 07:16 PM
Fs, first click on this thread and I read 'what does McGeouch do?' Fs, do you understand football? He's our most important player when he plays.

In your opinion, not mine. Never said he's a bad player, far from it, but I wouldn't even have him in my top 3 most important players. And given how injury prone he is we seem to do fine without him a lot of the time. Given the choice I'd rather have Scott Allan any day of the week.

theonlywayisup
04-08-2016, 06:38 AM
Class act - but in three years time, I predict, he'll end up playing football at teams like Partick Thistle or Motherwell. He'll end up like a Charlie Charnley without the laughter.

danhibees1875
04-08-2016, 07:14 AM
Good player for us but not the finest decision maker. Managing to get henderson, McGeoch and the money for mcginn in return for him was a fantastic piece of business and a deal that won us a cup IMO.

southfieldhibby
04-08-2016, 09:43 AM
In your opinion, not mine. Never said he's a bad player, far from it, but I wouldn't even have him in my top 3 most important players. And given how injury prone he is we seem to do fine without him a lot of the time. Given the choice I'd rather have Scott Allan any day of the week.

Hanlon and Cummings have prob been our most important players last couple of seasons. Hanlon especially last year. I'd put Dylan right behind them, but he is injury prone. But if he wasn't injury prone I doubt he'd be playing for Hibs in this league.He's got a 'football brain' most of our squad don't, he's calm on the ball and doesn't rush things and he dictates ( when fit) the pattern of our play.

Allan is more explosive, plays further forward and can score more goals. He's more like Henderson I think. Dylan and Scott could play very well together.Like comparing apples to oranges I think?

Dylan's not in the same class as Scholes or Xav, but he's the same mould of player.I like those players.

jeffers
04-08-2016, 10:19 AM
Hanlon and Cummings have prob been our most important players last couple of seasons. Hanlon especially last year. I'd put Dylan right behind them, but he is injury prone. But if he wasn't injury prone I doubt he'd be playing for Hibs in this league.He's got a 'football brain' most of our squad don't, he's calm on the ball and doesn't rush things and he dictates ( when fit) the pattern of our play.

Allan is more explosive, plays further forward and can score more goals. He's more like Henderson I think. Dylan and Scott could play very well together.Like comparing apples to oranges I think?

Dylan's not in the same class as Scholes or Xav, but he's the same mould of player.I like those players.

See what you are saying and why. Personally I'd have McGinn ahead of him too tho. Bit in bold I do agree with, I suppose I just don't see his influence as great on the team as others do.

Never intended to make this a McGeouch v Allan debate, although I realise that's what I've done. I just never get why folk slate Allan football-wise, sure he had failings but personally I'd always have had him over McGeouch although again I agree, different type of players. Then again if we'd kept Allan we may never have got Henderson !

Craig_HFC
04-08-2016, 01:26 PM
He's a rat with crap hair.

McGeough is & was far more important to how we played/play; he makes us tick. Allan was capable of producing a moment of magic but he didn't dictate the tempo and the pattern of our play like Dylan does.

Stubbs may well get the best out of him (again) but I don't think playing in a team who are fighting to stay in the league they're in will suit him as much as it did playing in a team fighting to get out of the league they're in.

Liam978
04-08-2016, 01:34 PM
Excellent post. I'm sure most of us on here did things in our youth that we regretted subsequently. I hope Stubbsy gets the best out of him.

So true Brian,reminded me so much of Alex Edwards, good luck to him .

brog
04-08-2016, 01:46 PM
The issue is that we got him back fit and playing and he had to make a big deal of trying to move on after just one year. And he wanted to go to our rivals for the league. As has panned out, he should have seen out his year, starred again and moved on with everyone's good wishes. The fact he couldn't bring himself to do that means he is fair game for our bad feelings.

If he had done as you suggest, we wouldn't have got a fee for him, Dylan & Liam probably wouldn't have been here & we almost certainly wouldn't now be cup winners. We may have a lot to thank SA for!