PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Challenge Cup

IanM
01-08-2016, 05:28 PM
How the **** has this made the TV tomorrow??

Celtic U20 v Annan Athletic
Scottish Challenge Cup 1st Round
19:45
Premier Sports / Premier Sports HD

Anyway, hope Hibs use this to give the likes of Insall & Dunsmore etc. some game time. This comp is even further down the pecking order than previous seasons but we may as well use the game time to develop.

Borderhibbie76
01-08-2016, 05:56 PM
How the **** has this made the TV tomorrow??

Celtic U20 v Annan Athletic
Scottish Challenge Cup 1st Round
19:45
Premier Sports / Premier Sports HD

Anyway, hope Hibs use this to give the likes of Insall & Dunsmore etc. some game time. This comp is even further down the pecking order than previous seasons but we may as well use the game time to develop.
Them and BT Sevco I mean Sport really will show anything involving the 2 uglies

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Billy Whizz
01-08-2016, 07:17 PM
When is the draw for the next round? Hope we put our development team in it

B.H.F.C
01-08-2016, 07:25 PM
Definitely at the bottom of the priorities list. But on the bright side, we could get a wee trip to Ireland or Wales in it this year!

Finn2015
01-08-2016, 08:43 PM

Yes me to. Would be great experience for them

CapitalGreen
01-08-2016, 08:51 PM
Hope we try and win it. Rangers coasted the league and won the challenge cup too. Good chance of a trip to Ireland or Wales too.

hibee_girl
01-08-2016, 08:52 PM

The games are this week so draw might be too, next round of games is only 2 weeks away. Is that when we enter?

CapitalGreen
01-08-2016, 08:53 PM
The games are this week so draw might be too, next round of games is only 2 weeks away. Is that when we enter?

We enter the round after. 3/4 September.

Sir David Gray
01-08-2016, 09:36 PM
We enter the round after. 3/4 September.

:agree: The round before the Northern Irish and Welsh sides enter.

NORTHERNHIBBY
01-08-2016, 09:53 PM
If we are in it we should try to win it. We can all call it a tin pot competition but if we got to the final we would take it seriously then.

Michael
01-08-2016, 09:58 PM
No point in risking injuries to our best players on this competition. The U20s should be able to win a couple of rounds.

Austinho
01-08-2016, 10:20 PM
We could potentially be drawn against Hearts u20s, or some other Premiership teams for that matter. Does anyone know if they get 5 senior players in a squad of 18 like the development leagues, or will all the players have to be under 20?

It does seem a bit unfair that the likes of Hearts, Partick, Ross County etc would have to play their under 20s against us, but on the other hand, it could also be deemed a little unfair that Celtic for example could field 5 first team players all at the same time, when the tournament is supposed to be specifically for lower league teams.

Centre Hawf
01-08-2016, 10:21 PM
We should take it 50/50. Dunsmore, Crane, Insall, Martin etc should all get games. But I'd also like to see regular bench players get a shot in it that could play first team if injuries or fitness problems set in. Forster, Stanton, Handling. Etc.

Barman Stanton
01-08-2016, 10:30 PM
If we are in it we should try to win it. We can all call it a tin pot competition but if we got to the final we would take it seriously then.

I really don't think many would take it seriously. It's a cup we should not be in. It's almost embarrassing winning it. I would much rather we played our development team in it and concentrate on promotion and the two major cups.

GreenNWhiteArmy
01-08-2016, 10:51 PM
Any trophy we are in we should take it seriously. It's a bit jambo-esque to think we are above any trophy. We ARE a championship club at the moment and therefore must enter.

With that being said, I wouldn't play any of the key players in any game (Inc the final should we make it that far)

Barman Stanton
01-08-2016, 10:57 PM
Any trophy we are in we should take it seriously. It's a bit jambo-esque to think we are above any trophy. We ARE a championship club at the moment and therefore must enter.

With that being said, I wouldn't play any of the key players in any game (Inc the final should we make it that far)

I think it would be sensible to play a development team in it. It could be argued that last season getting to two cup finals really ruined our promotion bid. We played more games than anyone in Scotland. It's U20s for the premier teams in the competition and we should follow that. Nothing Jamboesque about that.

GreenNWhiteArmy
01-08-2016, 11:17 PM
I think it would be sensible to play a development team in it. It could be argued that last season getting to two cup finals really ruined our promotion bid. We played more games than anyone in Scotland. It's U20s for the premier teams in the competition and we should follow that. Nothing Jamboesque about that.

I actually agree with everything you say mate in regards to playing the development and fringe players it's more the comments about us being "too big" to win a shan wee trophy.

Had many an argument wi my jambo pals about this "big cup, wee cup" nonsense.

northstandhibby
01-08-2016, 11:22 PM
I actually agree with everything you say mate in regards to playing the development and fringe players it's more the comments about us being "too big" to win a shan wee trophy.

Would that be the cup that's so wee they've decided not to win it for the last oh 54 years in row?

Glory Glory

GreenNWhiteArmy
01-08-2016, 11:28 PM
Would that be the cup that's so wee they've decided not to win it for the last oh 54 years in row?

Glory Glory

Haha exactly. It tends to come from the guys that have never played fitbaw and some of there responses are hilarious.

Granted it is less illustrious since removing entry to Europe but a cup's a cup. Small c*ck syndrome always strikes wi they roasters

Dashing Bob S
01-08-2016, 11:34 PM
I really don't think many would take it seriously. It's a cup we should not be in. It's almost embarrassing winning it. I would much rather we played our development team in it and concentrate on promotion and the two major cups.

Honestly, i wouldn't even let the development team near it. I'd pick a bunch of jakeys from the pubs around Easter Road 15 minutes before kick off and give them a jersey. Then spend 90 mins sweating in case they somehow won. The quicker we're out that nonsense the better.

Danderhall Hibs
02-08-2016, 07:12 AM
Haha exactly. It tends to come from the guys that have never played fitbaw and some of there responses are hilarious.

Granted it is less illustrious since removing entry to Europe but a cup's a cup. Small c*ck syndrome always strikes wi they roasters

I don't understand the less illustrious because there's no Europe on offer argument.

Not once in the build up to any of the finals I've been to have I said I hope we win this so we get into Europe. It's the cup that I want to win - no matter if it's the LC or the SC.

Barman Stanton
02-08-2016, 07:52 AM

This is a cup for lower league teams. Every thing about us is Premier league other than our current status. This is not one of the major domestic cups. In my opinion we are too big for it, and I would rather we forgot about it and concentrate on promotion and the 2 major cups. Put it this way, do you think there will be an open top bus should we win it?

Future17
02-08-2016, 08:03 AM
Honestly, i wouldn't even let the development team near it. I'd pick a bunch of jakeys from the pubs around Easter Road 15 minutes before kick off and give them a jersey. Then spend 90 mins sweating in case they somehow won. The quicker we're out that nonsense the better.

Where do I sign up?

GreenNWhiteArmy
02-08-2016, 08:50 AM
This is a cup for lower league teams. Every thing about us is Premier league other than our current status. This is not one of the major domestic cups. In my opinion we are too big for it, and I would rather we forgot about it and concentrate on promotion and the 2 major cups. Put it this way, do you think there will be an open top bus should we win it?

Yes we should be in the premier league but we are not. It doesn't matter if everything else is of premier league quality, we are NOT a premier league team and this is the type of arrogance i cannot be bothered wi and that if it came from supporters in Glasgow or the west of our city then fans on here would be calling them all sorts. I'm all for rotating the squad in this cup but will never say "we are too big" for any tournament because ultimately, we are registered to play in it because of league we currently occupy. Should Sheffield Utd pull out the paint tournament or whatever it is called because they have a better structure than the other clubs?

Why concentrate on the other 2 cups? Its clear to see that progressing in both had an adverse affect on our season. A domestic double is good enough for me regardless of what trophy the second part is (winning the league is of most importance)

Barman Stanton
02-08-2016, 09:04 AM
Yes we should be in the premier league but we are not. It doesn't matter if everything else is of premier league quality, we are NOT a premier league team and this is the type of arrogance i cannot be bothered wi and that if it came from supporters in Glasgow or the west of our city then fans on here would be calling them all sorts. I'm all for rotating the squad in this cup but will never say "we are too big" for any tournament because ultimately, we are registered to play in it because of league we currently occupy. Should Sheffield Utd pull out the paint tournament or whatever it is called because they have a better structure than the other clubs?

Why concentrate on the other 2 cups? Its clear to see that progressing in both had an adverse affect on our season. A domestic double is good enough for me regardless of what trophy the second part is (winning the league is of most importance)

You don't see the difference in the Scottish and League Cups and the lower league Challenge Cup??
Fair enough, we have a massive difference in opinion. It's not a cup I would be proud of winning. It's a reminder we are in the lower leagues.

southern hibby
02-08-2016, 09:52 AM
We get to the final and we'll take 20,000 ( if neutral ground can hold that many. I see it as more we win the more money we get, but winning breeds winning.

Also this might help shift season tickets next season if and when we're promoted, if marketed correctly. Scottish cup last season, this cup ( if we win it) plus however we do in league and Scottish cups this year plus league.

We've sold 10,300ish season tickets,marketed correctly we could beat our best of 11400ish next season. Also imagine the winners mentality within the players going into the final third of the season? For once in my lifetime we would be head and shoulders above the opposition in this.

GGTTH

Brightside
02-08-2016, 10:09 AM

You are missing the point. The other 2 cups are national cups. This is for lower league and u20s teams. It should be used for the 20s and to get players fit...and i wouldn't care a jot if we lost in our first game. It is the ultimate mickey mouse comp.

Bristolhibby
02-08-2016, 10:23 AM

And continuing that logic we are clearly too wee for the Champions League and dare I say it the Europa Cup, should we not aspire to win them?

A Cups a Cup in my book. Kids for the early round, full team from Semis onwards and hopefully a cracking day out for the final against a team that should be there not an U20.

J

Bristolhibby
02-08-2016, 10:27 AM
I'd like Lewis to complete the set of Scottish Cup wins. Can't be any player who has won the Scottish Domestic Cup treble?

J

danhibees1875
02-08-2016, 10:29 AM
I say we go for it, as I think we should in any competition.

I liked the idea of some NI and Welsh teams added to the mix for a bit of a laugh/something different - however, U20 teams from the Prem?... that's a step too far IMO.

I'd like Lewis to complete the set of Scottish Cup wins. Can't be any player who has won the Scottish Domestic Cup treble?

J

Someone from The Rangers presumably? (Miller?)

Brightside
02-08-2016, 11:07 AM

No i wouldn't... id be embarrassed to win it.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
02-08-2016, 11:09 AM

Me too.

Unless it was our second team, then i'd be pleased. Otherwise bin it.

Dashing Bob S
02-08-2016, 11:12 AM
You are missing the point. The other 2 cups are national cups. This is for lower league and u20s teams. It should be used for the 20s and to get players fit...and i wouldn't care a jot if we lost in our first game. It is the ultimate mickey mouse comp.

It is lower than a Mikey Mouse cup in that your club has to be Donald Ducked to take part.

Iggy Pope
02-08-2016, 04:39 PM
Hope we try and win it. Rangers coasted the league and won the challenge cup too. Good chance of a trip to Ireland or Wales too.

Compete on all fronts. Avoid the mistake the Huns made by missing the Play Offs. Cost them a fingering in the Scottish.

ShinyFantastic
02-08-2016, 04:41 PM
Ah the annual Challenge Cup try/don't try debate... Let's all just hope we don't have to suffer this debate next season.

Killiehibbie
02-08-2016, 04:47 PM
Win it then never be in it again.

CapitalGreen
02-08-2016, 04:51 PM

Embarrassed to win football matches.

CropleyWasGod
02-08-2016, 06:48 PM
It is lower than a Mikey Mouse cup in that your club has to be Donald Ducked to take part.
That's a goofy point of view.

What planet are you on....Pluto?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Dashing Bob S
02-08-2016, 06:49 PM
That's a goofy point of view.

What planet are you on....Pluto?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Disney make any difference. Still a waste of time cup.

HH81
02-08-2016, 06:50 PM
1-0. Annan.

Paisley Hibby
02-08-2016, 06:57 PM
1-0. Annan.

And Stirling Albion 1 up against Hearts U20

Wee Effen Bee
02-08-2016, 06:57 PM
Embarrassed to win football matches.
Did you mean to add a question mark at the end of your sentence CG or is it a statement to support the original poster?

I understand the idea of playing some fringe players with regulars but I want every Hibs-aligned team to win every match they play. Whether it's under 5s, the development squad, the women's teams or even Hibs.net team. I just don't understand why some people say we shouldn't try or suggest it's beneath us. We are a championship club at the moment so we are required to take part. It does sound a bit like the Hertz ' kid-on'couldn't care attitude toward the League Cup: they were desperate to win it when they reached the final. If we get to the Irn Bru cup final, let's see how many of those who couldn't be bothered or said we shouldn't be in it try to get tickets.

mjhibby
02-08-2016, 07:04 PM
Surely has to be all the players not playing regularly and the development team.

Virtanen
Foster
Bartley
Crane
Dunsmore
Boyle
Carmichael
Martin
Stanton
Harris
Keatings
Then have some of the first 11 on the bench. League has to be the priority followed by the Scottish and league cups. No brainier to me.

Hamish
02-08-2016, 07:08 PM
And Stirling Albion 1 up against Hearts U20

Some of the prices for the league sides were quite tasty.

Hiber-nation
02-08-2016, 07:09 PM
Some of the prices for the league sides were quite tasty.

Clyde are 16/1 in play to beat Partick u20s at home. 0-0 at the moment. Must be a reason....

Hamish
02-08-2016, 07:13 PM
Clyde are 16/1 in play to beat Partick u20s at home. 0-0 at the moment. Must be a reason....

Saw that. Take it Clyde down to 10 men.

Hiber-nation
02-08-2016, 07:16 PM
Saw that. Take it Clyde down to 10 men.

Not according to Bet365. Worth a couple of quid!

Hamish
02-08-2016, 07:21 PM
You would think so, now 10's.

Waxy
02-08-2016, 07:27 PM
Stirling Albion 2 up on them u20s.

Pete
02-08-2016, 07:29 PM
Play our kids. Bigger fish to fry.

scotiaf
02-08-2016, 07:35 PM
Took a few of the league teams to beat the u20's. 550-1. Edinburgh city are letting me down at the moment though

NORTHERNHIBBY
02-08-2016, 07:47 PM

Does that mean happy to see Hibs lose?

Hamish
02-08-2016, 08:10 PM
Stirling Albion 2 up on them u20s.

Now 2-3.

Finn2015
02-08-2016, 08:26 PM
Play our kids. Bigger fish to fry.

No brainer for me. U20's all the way even if we reach the final

hibee-boys
02-08-2016, 08:38 PM
U20's and fringe 1st team players to take care of business!

JimBHibees
02-08-2016, 08:41 PM
Is it only under 20s or can older players play ?

son of haggart
02-08-2016, 08:44 PM
Is it only under 20s or can older players play ?

For SPL teams it's their U20s. For other leagues it is their first team or whatever combination they choose. I understand Stirling had mostly fringe players rather than their full first team against us tonight for example

SteveHFC
02-08-2016, 08:45 PM
In other footballing games taking place this evening. Dundalk are guranteed to be playing in at least the Europa League group stage or Champions League group stage as things stand.

Pete
02-08-2016, 08:56 PM
For SPL teams it's their U20s. For other leagues it is their first team or whatever combination they choose. I understand Stirling had mostly fringe players rather than their full first team against us tonight for example

You have to wonder what the point of this tournament is when teams like Stirling are playing their reserves.

ballengeich
02-08-2016, 08:58 PM

Stirling's starting eleven had three first choice players in it. The remainder were all around the 19-20 age. In the second half, the inexperience in defence showed and the midfield fell away, possibly due to being against full-timers.

One thing that was noticeable about Hearts was their height. They were one of the tallest teams I've seen.

bigwheel
02-08-2016, 09:02 PM
no Henderson in the U20s for Celtic - don't know if he still qualifies to play for them...

Pete
02-08-2016, 09:06 PM
One thing that was noticeable about Hearts was their height. They were one of the tallest teams I've seen.

It looks like Hearts are managing to achieve continuity throughout the club when it comes to their football philosophies.

Hoofity hoof hoof.

Mikey09
02-08-2016, 11:05 PM
Tin hat on... When Hertz won the league Neilson totally prioritised just that, winning the league. He didn't give a flying duck about the league cup or this challenge cup. If it were my decision I would be focusing on the league campaign and RETAINING THE SCOTTISH CUP! Jeez that feels good to say...:greengrin

Barman Stanton
02-08-2016, 11:16 PM
Tin hat on... When Hertz won the league Neilson totally prioritised just that, winning the league. He didn't give a flying duck about the league cup or this challenge cup. If it were my decision I would be focusing on the league campaign and RETAINING THE SCOTTISH CUP! Jeez that feels good to say...:greengrin

No, I don't think the league Cup should be devalued just because we won the Scottish Cup. There are 2 major Cups, and since 1875 we have won a grand total of 6! Cup wins are what you remember. Hearts only devalue the League Cup because they can't win the thing (and because we have won it recently)!

Challenge Cup a different ball game. Play the U20s like what the Premier League teams do.

Mikey09
02-08-2016, 11:23 PM
No, I don't think the league Cup should be devalued just because we won the Scottish Cup. There are 2 major Cups, and since 1875 we have won a grand total of 6! Cup wins are what you remember. Hearts only devalue the League Cup because they can't win the thing (and because we have won it recently)!

Challenge Cup a different ball game. Play the U20s like what the Premier League teams do.

Agree on playing the 20's in the challenge cup. Still think we should mix it up with the league cup too. :aok:

jgl07
02-08-2016, 11:23 PM
I would put out a team containing first team squad members who are somewhat lacking in game time augmented with bench sitters and a few of the Under-20 team at least in the first couple of rounds. The team against Birmingham City might provide the template. That should be good enough to see off most of the teams Hibs might encounter at this stage.

If Hibs get to the semi-finals then they should reassess this situation.

I would play rather stronger teams in the League Cup against Queen of the South. If Hibs make the quarter-final and even the semi-final, then the strongest team should be played although maybe retain Ross Laidlaw in goal to give him more game time. You never know whwn a second choice goalkeeper might be required.

RoxburghHibs
03-08-2016, 06:49 AM
I would put out a team containing first team squad members who are somewhat lacking in game time augmented with bench sitters and a few of the Under-20 team at least in the first couple of rounds. The team against Birmingham City might provide the template. That should be good enough to see off most of the teams Hibs might encounter at this stage.

If Hibs get to the semi-finals then they should reassess this situation.

I would play rather stronger teams in the League Cup against Queen of the South. If Hibs make the quarter-final and even the semi-final, then the strongest team should be played although maybe retain Ross Laidlaw in goal to give him more game time. You never know whwn a second choice goalkeeper might be required.

Yeah agree with this.

I attended the St Johnstone U20 v Turriff Utd 1st round match, last night, as my nephew plays for St Johnstone. Turriff won 2-1, with an 86th minute goal, and to be honest the difference was experience. St Johnstone have a young U20 team of mainly 17/18 year old's.

So the Hibs team that played Birmingham would more than hold their place in this competition.

To be honest I'd lean more towards youth with some fringe players in the Irn Bru Cup at least.

JimBHibees
03-08-2016, 08:21 AM

Thanks but do under 20s rules not also allow a set number of older players play?