PDA

View Full Version : One for the Future

pennyhibee
01-08-2016, 01:12 PM
Always been impressed with young Scott Martin on the few occasions I've seen him Anyone else think this young lad could have a bright future at Hibs

Smartie
01-08-2016, 01:16 PM
Always been impressed with young Scott Martin on the few occasions I've seen him Anyone else think this young lad could have a bright future at Hibs

Yes, I do.

He needs a chance though, sooner rather than later.

We're fairly well stocked in the midfield department and that's before we consider the possibility of Liam Henderson coming in.

Not the ideal conditions for someone to get their chance.

I reckon he has all the attributes to be an excellent player. I hope he doesn't have to leave to get his chance at first team football as he's exactly the type that could come back to bite you.

Hopefully Lennon rotates his players a bit more than Stubbs did and he'll get his chance.

Baw187
01-08-2016, 01:29 PM
Yes, I do.

He needs a chance though, sooner rather than later.

We're fairly well stocked in the midfield department and that's before we consider the possibility of Liam Henderson coming in.

Not the ideal conditions for someone to get their chance.

I reckon he has all the attributes to be an excellent player. I hope he doesn't have to leave to get his chance at first team football as he's exactly the type that could come back to bite you.

Hopefully Lennon rotates his players a bit more than Stubbs did and he'll get his chance.

I think it's great conditions for him to get his chance. He has some really good players around him to ease the burden of expectation and for him to learn from.

Those are far better conditions than what Sammy Stanton had where he was basically brought in and looked upon as a someone who might come in and be a bright spark in a pish team. I reckon that ultimately hindered Sam.

Scott Martin is class though, as is Crane and I reckon they'll be flirting with being first team regulars come the end of the season. Especially given McGeough and Fyvie won't stay fit all season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smartie
01-08-2016, 01:39 PM
I think it's great conditions for him to get his chance. He has some really good players around him to ease the burden of expectation and for him to learn from.

Those are far better conditions than what Sammy Stanton had where he was basically brought in and looked upon as a someone who might come in and be a bright spark in a pish team. I reckon that ultimately hindered Sam.

Scott Martin is class though, as is Crane and I reckon they'll be flirting with being first team regulars come the end of the season. Especially given McGeough and Fyvie won't stay fit all season.

In many ways I agree with you.

There is a lot of pressure on us to go up this year though and there will be little margin for error. Under such circumstances managers often stick with their tried and trusted players, their most experienced ones. Rather than 10 minutes at the end of games that are won it would be good to see him get a series of starts in games that we need to win - I just question whether or not Lennon will trust him enough to do so.

I would say that our change of manager has probably helped him - a clean slate for all. Lennon himself has said that a few players have given him food for thought and it was very interesting that Martin started yesterday.

The golden generation were blooded out of necessity and went on to thrive, as is so often the way. I wonder how the careers of Thomson, Brown, Whittaker et al might have gone had they not been given the games they were early on? If Scottish football/ Hibs hadn't had the financial problems they had at that time would they have managed to dislodge a Latapy from our team?

I agree that Stanton's introduction was far from ideal but at that time he looked the part. He stood up and was counted in a struggling team, putting several more experienced players to shame. He's only gone off course since then.

greenlex
01-08-2016, 01:46 PM
With both McGeouch and Fyvie prone to injury I think he will be invaluable this season.

Baw187
01-08-2016, 01:50 PM
In many ways I agree with you.

There is a lot of pressure on us to go up this year though and there will be little margin for error. Under such circumstances managers often stick with their tried and trusted players, their most experienced ones. Rather than 10 minutes at the end of games that are won it would be good to see him get a series of starts in games that we need to win - I just question whether or not Lennon will trust him enough to do so.

I would say that our change of manager has probably helped him - a clean slate for all. Lennon himself has said that a few players have given him food for thought and it was very interesting that Martin started yesterday.

The golden generation were blooded out of necessity and went on to thrive, as is so often the way. I wonder how the careers of Thomson, Brown, Whittaker et al might have gone had they not been given the games they were early on? If Scottish football/ Hibs hadn't had the financial problems they had at that time would they have managed to dislodge a Latapy from our team?

I agree that Stanton's introduction was far from ideal but at that time he looked the part. He stood up and was counted in a struggling team, putting several more experienced players to shame. He's only gone off course since then.

I reckon Lennon will play him whenever there is an opportunity as a sub or through injuries and suspensions initially and I think Scott has enough quality about him to hopefully then start making a case to be a first pick.

That tends to be how the really good players break in to established teams. I guess my point is that, if he's as good as we all think he is, the fact we have a decent midfield shouldn't hinder that and, in many ways will help him flourish when he does get his chances.

A cracking prospect IMO.

HibsNutter
01-08-2016, 01:56 PM
Last season showed how crucial squad rotation is, as players were knackered by the end of the season and it showed in the run up to the play-offs. Thankfully we were granted a free week before the cup final to recuperate.

It is a long season, he and many others will need to play their part if we are to be successful.

ancient hibee
01-08-2016, 02:04 PM
With two midfielders who are frequently unfit the development of young players like Martin is vitally important.

Ozyhibby
01-08-2016, 03:31 PM
I think he has to start playing now. He's at the age where he needs to play games.

Andy74
01-08-2016, 03:48 PM
He's got that Scott Brown thing about him. Happy to mix it but can also stick in a decent pass. Probably missing that attacking drive that Brown had with us.

Deano Mourinho
01-08-2016, 05:51 PM
This is an interesting one he seems to have a bit of battle and fight about him but what is his primary position is it DM if so I would love to see him get a proper run in team at expense of Bartley and Fyvie. Also would love Crane to get a run but can't see Hibs dropping Stevenson?
Always get excited about homegrown talent

lyonhibs
01-08-2016, 06:17 PM
This is an interesting one he seems to have a bit of battle and fight about him but what is his primary position is it DM if so I would love to see him get a proper run in team at expense of Bartley and Fyvie. Also would love Crane to get a run but can't see Hibs dropping Stevenson?
Always get excited about homegrown talent

At the expense of Bartley and Fyvie, 2 Scottish Cup Winners?!?!

I'm glad you don't pick the team, shall we say!

Pretty Boy
01-08-2016, 06:23 PM
He's one for the now imo. Not an every week started because we have some real talent in midfield but he should be getting game time to stake his claim and if he gives Lennon something to think about then all the better.

He's a great wee player who I'm convinced will make it, I've said it since I 1st saw him for the development side.

Ozyhibby
01-08-2016, 06:40 PM
If he plays DM then he is going to get chances if he is good enough. He has to take them. Already this season we have had to play Hanlon there twice.

Deano Mourinho
01-08-2016, 08:02 PM
At the expense of Bartley and Fyvie, 2 Scottish Cup Winners?!?!

I'm glad you don't pick the team, shall we say!

Im glad too as its a real head mess at the moment but fyvie struggles for fitness/injury and bart man is a consistent performer however more chance dislodging them as a pose to McGinn and hopefully Henderson/McGeough that was the point i was trying to make.