PDA

View Full Version : Sol bamba

Onceinawhile
30-07-2016, 10:35 PM
Just been on sky sports one, carrying the belt down to the ring as Leeds captain.

If he was half as good as he thought he was, he'd have been twice as good as he was.

Not as good as the other signing in that window anyway 01.

superbam
30-07-2016, 10:37 PM
Just been on sky sports one, carrying the belt down to the ring as Leeds captain.

If he was half as good as he thought he was, he'd have been twice as good as he was.

Nah, he was quality.

supermcginn
30-07-2016, 10:43 PM
Nah, he was quality.

Agreed, he was brilliant for us!

matty_f
30-07-2016, 10:51 PM
Bamba did well for us, and we were good for him.

Billychaotic182
30-07-2016, 11:00 PM
I loved big Sol. Cracking player!

Dashing Bob S
30-07-2016, 11:01 PM
Anybody think he could still do a job for us and how is Leeds for Irish pubs?

CallumLaidlaw
30-07-2016, 11:40 PM
Big Sol was one of my favourites. The guy has had a decent career since leaving us so obviously has done something right

SunshineOnLeith
30-07-2016, 11:44 PM
What a magnificent man.

lord bunberry
31-07-2016, 12:07 AM
He'd score for fun in this league

McIntosh
31-07-2016, 12:14 AM
Anybody think he could still do a job for us and how is Leeds for Irish pubs?
Good one just of the headrow next to Millemium Square

The_Horde
31-07-2016, 12:19 AM
He'd score for fun in this league

This.

I'd snap your hand off for Bamba.

Forza Fred
31-07-2016, 12:31 AM
I wuz there when he made his debut.....and got sent off!

lord bunberry
31-07-2016, 12:50 AM
I wuz there when he made his debut.....and got sent off!

What did you do :greengrin

Slim Shady
31-07-2016, 08:58 AM

If we never had a that muppet Yogi in charge he would've been better for us. Yogis training ground antics brought Sol down and performances suffered.

NORTHERNHIBBY
31-07-2016, 09:33 AM
We sold him for more than we paid for him including what we had to pay to Dunfermline. That makes him a decent signing IMO.

Frazerbob
31-07-2016, 10:00 AM
I'm going against the grain here, smashing big chap but a total bomb scare (and I hate that phrase). Surprised how highly regarded he is by Hibs fans.

Smartie
31-07-2016, 10:06 AM
I'm going against the grain here, smashing big chap but a total bomb scare (and I hate that phrase). Surprised how highly regarded he is by Hibs fans.

I never saw the bombscare side of him at Hibs.

The Dunfermline fans went on about it all the time and I've seen him have a few howlers for other clubs but I ddin't ever consider him a bombscare based on what I saw - I always had reservations but only because of what I'd heard from fans of other clubs.

Really good player imo.

GreenCastle
31-07-2016, 10:08 AM
Bamba was a good player and while he may not have been the typical Scottish meat head centre half some like he was good on the ball and in the air and had some very good games for us.

Fans love to use the phrases bambi on ice or bomb scare but he would walk into any team in Scotland right now.

Just think about Nelson and some other dross we had over the last few years.

CallumLaidlaw
31-07-2016, 10:15 AM
I never saw the bombscare side of him at Hibs.

The Dunfermline fans went on about it all the time and I've seen him have a few howlers for other clubs but I ddin't ever consider him a bombscare based on what I saw - I always had reservations but only because of what I'd heard from fans of other clubs.

Really good player imo.

He was prone to the odd error. I always thought he was best at defensive midfield as it meant any errors weren't catastrophic

hibsdaft
31-07-2016, 10:45 AM
He was prone to the odd error. I always thought he was best at defensive midfield as it meant any errors weren't catastrophic

was about to post the same. always made me nervous was tackling in our box, often with good reason.

PISTOL1875
31-07-2016, 10:57 AM
Sol Bamba at the back was a accident waiting to happen.. That era's Efe Ambrose and always a mistake just around the corner... I will never forget him being in a shape and charging out of position without any purpose....

In midfield a different player but Yogi had to play him at the back due to Ivory Coast seeing him as a defender...

.Sean.
31-07-2016, 11:01 AM
I thought he was better in midfield during his first season than he was at centre back.

My_Wife_Camille
31-07-2016, 11:02 AM
Class player who's gone on to have a very decent career. Big man has played a blinder

Smartie
31-07-2016, 11:06 AM
I remember him having a couple of really ropey games at right-back and he made a few mistakes whilst playing there.

But when played as a DM or CH I thought he was really good for us. I shared in the nervousness that he had a mistake in him but it rarely ever actually occurred.

I can't remember off the top of my head any high-profile errors that led to a goal, unlike many other players who had the reputation for being error-prone.

lugz
31-07-2016, 11:10 AM
I find it funny how we can slate anyone who played for us in the top division and had us winning up there as well.

Big Sol was a good player and would walk into this team.

Fergus52
31-07-2016, 11:22 AM
Played for a decent team in the Turkish League and now Leeds' captain and people are talking like they wouldn't want him back, aye right.

He was quality for us, if he didn't have the odd positional blunder and rash tackle in him he'd be playing in the prem.

KeithTheHibby
31-07-2016, 11:40 AM
He was that much of a bombscare he played for Ivory Coast eh.

Northernhibee
31-07-2016, 11:43 AM
3rd best CB we've had in the last decade after Jones and Hanlon.

Jones28
31-07-2016, 11:52 AM
He scored the best OG I've ever seen, against st Mirren at home I believe. A sort of clearance that turned into an overhead kick 😂😂

Loved the big lad though, thought he was pretty solid compared to the likes of Ohanlon and Martis.

Edson Arantes
31-07-2016, 12:19 PM
Better as a midfield player.

blackpoolhibs
31-07-2016, 12:28 PM
Quality player, who's played at a much higher standard than any central defender we've had since John Blackley in the time i have been watching Hibs.

And when i think of the players he had beside him, it's no wonder he made the odd mistake.

Sauzee was more of a sweeper. :wink:

calumhibee1
31-07-2016, 12:32 PM
Sol Bamba would stroll into any team in Scotland including Celtic.

Skyegreen
31-07-2016, 02:36 PM

It never surprises me how desperate some of our supporters can be when they talk about past players being "Legends" " Great players" or " Heroes"

Sol Bamba fits into none of the categories above. He was a good player but as you say he could be a total bombscare at times!

Winston Ingram
31-07-2016, 04:19 PM
Sol Bamba at the back was a accident waiting to happen.. That era's Efe Ambrose and always a mistake just around the corner... I will never forget him being in a shape and charging out of position without any purpose....

In midfield a different player but Yogi had to play him at the back due to Ivory Coast seeing him as a defender...

I thought he was better in midfield during his first season than he was at centre back.

This

MWHIBBIES
31-07-2016, 04:38 PM

In midfield a different player but Yogi had to play him at the back due to Ivory Coast seeing him as a defender...I think Yogi played him at the back because he was by far our best defender.

PISTOL1875
31-07-2016, 05:18 PM
I think Yogi played him at the back because he was by far our best defender.

We met Sol in the hotel after a pre -season game in Dublin. He told us that the Ivory Coast wanted him to play at the back because they seen him as a defender and not a midfielder...

Mibbes Aye
31-07-2016, 11:37 PM
I remember him having a couple of really ropey games at right-back and he made a few mistakes whilst playing there.

But when played as a DM or CH I thought he was really good for us. I shared in the nervousness that he had a mistake in him but it rarely ever actually occurred.

I can't remember off the top of my head any high-profile errors that led to a goal, unlike many other players who had the reputation for being error-prone.

He gave away a dreadful penalty against Motherwell, at the Dunbar end, that was just sheer clumsiness. He was like a drunk octopus getting frisky.

Other than that I loved him, thought he was really sophisticated and quite obviously streets ahead of his teammates in terms of technical ability.

Mibbes Aye
31-07-2016, 11:45 PM
He gave away a dreadful penalty against Motherwell, at the Dunbar end, that was just sheer clumsiness. He was like a drunk octopus getting frisky.

Other than that I loved him, thought he was really sophisticated and quite obviously streets ahead of his teammates in terms of technical ability.

Actually, I think that was Thicot, my mistake.

Apologies :aok:

gillythehibby
01-08-2016, 08:12 AM
If we never had a that muppet Yogi in charge he would've been better for us. Yogis training ground antics brought Sol down and performances suffered.

That'll be the sane muppett that git us european football and 4th in the league aye? Yogi gets a bit too much stick really

heretoday
01-08-2016, 10:37 AM
I quite agree. He was awkward and clumsy but probably one of the stars in a terrible Hibs period.

zlatan
01-08-2016, 01:59 PM
An absolute ride