PDA

View Full Version : New Badge.

Ultrabee1-0
29-07-2016, 01:53 PM
I heard a bit about this. What is the update on it? Surely not again!

adhibs
29-07-2016, 01:55 PM
Eh? Not heard anything about this. Realy dont need a change either.

livi hibs 1875
29-07-2016, 01:55 PM
Probably just adding a wee pic of the cup on it

scott7_0(Prague)
29-07-2016, 01:56 PM
I heard a bit about this. What is the update on it? Surely not again!

you must have missed this part.... current badge is staying.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hibernian/hibs-confirm-club-badge-is-safe-from-lord-lyon-s-wrath-1-4111222

calumhibee1
29-07-2016, 02:10 PM
What a ridiculous situation for Ayr and Airdrie to be in.

snooky
29-07-2016, 02:24 PM
What a ridiculous situation for Ayr and Airdrie to be in.

Aye, we live in the land of the free right enough.

NAE NOOKIE
29-07-2016, 02:56 PM
This is an old story ...... medieval nonsense, where the social elite make claims to certain symbols that they use to reinforce their status. Especially in the case of the Saltire, which is the flag of the people of Scotland and should not be in their gift to decide who does or doesn't use it and for what purpose .... at the very least it should be the Scottish parliament who controls use of Scotland's flag.

If this situation is to continue to be perhaps its time Scotland had a new flag ...... we should have a competition followed by a vote like they did in New Zealand.

ancient hibee
29-07-2016, 02:59 PM
This is an old story ...... medieval nonsense, where the social elite make claims to certain symbols that they use to reinforce their status. Especially in the case of the Saltire, which is the flag of the people of Scotland and should not be in their gift to decide who does or doesn't use it and for what purpose .... at the very least it should be the Scottish parliament who controls use of Scotland's flag.

If this situation is to continue to be perhaps its time Scotland had a new flag ...... we should have a competition followed by a vote like they did in New Zealand.
Quite agree.First step is for the SNP to stop using our flag for their political purposes.

NAE NOOKIE
29-07-2016, 03:07 PM
Quite agree.First step is for the SNP to stop using our flag for their political purposes.

Yawn mate. Given the raison d'etre of the SNP its hardly surprising that they attach themselves to the Saltire, it doesn't prevent anybody else from using it that I can see ... Besides, the last time I looked every flag in the world gets used for 'political purposes' ... watch the US Republican and Democrat conventions for a prime example.

ancient hibee
29-07-2016, 03:10 PM
Yawn mate. Given the raison d'etre of the SNP its hardly surprising that they attach themselves to the Saltire, it doesn't prevent anybody else from using it that I can see ... Besides, the last time I looked every flag in the world gets used for 'political purposes' ... watch the US Republican and Democrat conventions for a prime example.

Sorry I thought I was agreeing with your comment that the flag was for the people and at the very least it's use should be controlled by the Scottish Parliament.My mistake.

NAE NOOKIE
29-07-2016, 03:20 PM
Sorry I thought I was agreeing with your comment that the flag was for the people and at the very least it's use should be controlled by the Scottish Parliament.My mistake.

I see what you mean ... but that's exactly the point, the flag should be available to anybody to use in whatever way they see fit, the only proviso being that its not used in a disrespectful way, for example on bog paper :greengrin

1van Sprou7e
29-07-2016, 03:50 PM

Scotland should never have a new flag, it's simple and fairly unique

ronaldo7
29-07-2016, 03:57 PM

The Scottish Flag is for everyone's use, including those of the SNP.

Canon Hannan
29-07-2016, 04:03 PM

Obviously the comment from a British Nationalist supporter - Labour/Tories or Lib Dems. They have their lovely Union Jack as their flag anyway.

marinello59
29-07-2016, 04:05 PM
:thumbsup:

Alex Salmond was very careful to make that point and kept the flag waving to a minimum. That's not really the case with Sturgeon's SNP though where the saltire is used as a wrapper for all things SNP.

ronaldo7
29-07-2016, 04:06 PM

Alex Salmond was very careful to make that point and kept the flag waving to a minimum. That's not really the case with Sturgeon's SNP though where the saltire is used as a wrapper for all things SCOTTISH.

Fixed that for you.:wink:

marinello59
29-07-2016, 04:10 PM
Fixed that for you.:wink:

So in your mind SNP = Scottish. Interesting. :greengrin

29-07-2016, 04:21 PM
Nothing wrong with our badge. The harp, the Ship and the Castle nicely sum up the club and its history.

7Hero
29-07-2016, 04:37 PM
I hate the thought of a board of directors and some graphic designer sitting around a table deciding on a Club badge. Our last badge is exactly that, design by committee... the Saturn / slope effort before was even worse and we've still got the damn thing imbedded in the steel trusses around the stadium.

Its about tradition, not about what looks good.

When I takeover hibs it'll be the first thing I change..

Our last decent badge
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=hibs+lub+badge&view=detailv2&&id=4F589E2107AE5B818BC0C01C55563D9AB54556BF&selectedIndex=19&ccid=cDbEaLyY&simid=608050821982456233&thid=OIP.M7036c468bc98b519724f6d77c2c50898o0&ajaxhist=0

The Pointer
29-07-2016, 04:38 PM

:agree::aok:

The Pointer
29-07-2016, 04:40 PM
Obviously the comment from a British Nationalist supporter - Labour/Tories or Lib Dems. They have their lovely Union Jack as their flag anyway.

Some comments on here leave me aghast, and that's one toley of a remark.

NAE NOOKIE
29-07-2016, 05:35 PM
Its a shame that the comment I made appears to have turned this into a political debate. The point I was making ( the only point ) was that it shouldn't be up to the social elite in the form of the Lord Lyon to tell people what to do with 'their' flag ..... if a Scottish football club want to incorporate the Saltire into their badge then why on earth should he have the power to tell them they cant? ..... never mind prosecute them for it.

As I said in another thread on this subject, the Saltire is the historic flag of the Scottish nation and if a Scotsman or Scottish people decide to fly it or use it to identify a club or organisation they have formed or belong to as Scottish that decision should be entirely up to them, because its 'our flag' !!!

If the use of the Saltire as a flag or an image as part of a badge does not lie within the power of the ordinary people of Scotland, then clearly the flag does not belong to us, it is ( as too many things are ) the property of the social elite of this country ... so we should take it back by removing power over its use from the Lord Lyon and passing it over to the nations elected parliament .... Though the Lord Lyon is appointed with input from the Scottish parliament, the laws and rules he used to prosecute his office once in place are so outdated that they probably go back to the time when folk like us were expected to know their place.

Time for that to change if you ask me.

:saltireflag

Glory Lurker
29-07-2016, 05:38 PM
Haw, man. A thread about something that's not going to happen turns in to The Holy Ground on tour! Get back to the pub, all of youse!

Wee Effen Bee
29-07-2016, 05:39 PM

Just my opinion but I would like something a bit more progressive and all encompassing. A flag, based on one particular religious cult, doesn't represent all the people of Scotland and never has.
How about a green flag with a symbol representing strength and fortitude...say a castle? You could add something like a harp to show some of our historical ancestral ties to Eire, then, for good measure, something to show our sense of adventure and leadership. I know, a ship!:greengrin

worcesterhibby
29-07-2016, 05:39 PM
I hate the thought of a board of directors and some graphic designer sitting around a table deciding on a Club badge. Our last badge is exactly that, design by committee... the Saturn / slope effort before was even worse and we've still got the damn thing imbedded in the steel trusses around the stadium.

Our last decent badge
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=hibs+lub+badge&view=detailv2&&id=4F589E2107AE5B818BC0C01C55563D9AB54556BF&selectedIndex=19&ccid=cDbEaLyY&simid=608050821982456233&thid=OIP.M7036c468bc98b519724f6d77c2c50898o0&ajaxhist=0

Entirely disagree about our current badge...I love it What relevance does a crown and leaves have to "Hibs Tradition ?"The badge you show was introduced in season 77/78 and was gone by Season 89/90...so it was a flash in the pan...not tradition.

Thecat23
29-07-2016, 06:06 PM

Our last decent badge

Actually our badge was designed by a Hibs fan. Not sure if they won a competition or something but defo wasn't by the board.

Smartie
29-07-2016, 06:09 PM
Out of interest, what would happen if Airdrie, Ayr United or anyone else told Lord Lyon to take a running jump?

It's a piece of nonsense that we're having to abide by laws like this in this day and age.

ronaldo7
29-07-2016, 06:17 PM
Just my opinion but I would like something a bit more progressive and all encompassing. A flag, based on one particular religious cult, doesn't represent all the people of Scotland and never has.
How about a green flag with a symbol representing strength and fortitude...say a castle? You could add something like a harp to show some of our historical ancestral ties to Eire, then, for good measure, something to show our sense of adventure and leadership. I know, a ship!:greengrin

:aok::greengrin

Canon Hannan
29-07-2016, 06:41 PM
Some comments on here leave me aghast, and that's one toley of a remark.

Factually correct and strange this shocks you!

The new badge at Hibs is excellent in my opinion. BUT I prefer the original badge of our club and motto.

Jonnyboy
29-07-2016, 06:46 PM

Our last decent badge

Nope

Dashing Bob S
29-07-2016, 06:51 PM
Nope

That badge had absolutely nothing to do with Hibs. It remains my biggest source of embarrassment that it's lazy, mundane, bland, establishment form ever desecrated the green jersey.

Jonnyboy
29-07-2016, 07:01 PM
That badge had absolutely nothing to do with Hibs. It remains my biggest source of embarrassment that it's lazy, mundane, bland, establishment form ever desecrated the green jersey.

:greengrin

Lago
29-07-2016, 07:05 PM
No chance of that!!

Lago
29-07-2016, 07:09 PM

Alex Salmond was very careful to make that point and kept the flag waving to a minimum. That's not really the case with Sturgeon's SNP though where the saltire is used as a wrapper for all things SNP.
Yip always In Moira's handbag just waiting for the right opportunity:greengrin

hibby_bry
29-07-2016, 08:10 PM
Actually our badge was designed by a Hibs fan. Not sure if they won a competition or something but defo wasn't by the board.

Correct. The club ran a competition for fans to submit their designs in 1999. The best entries were printed in the match day programme and Evening News. Fans were then encouraged to vote for their favourite.

Itsnoteasy
29-07-2016, 09:00 PM

I guess you never watched AM first Wimbledon triumph. Sitting in the royal box AS pulls the saltire flag oot his pocket & starts waving it. All right if he was in the crowd, but no flags allowed in Royal box.

Allant1981
29-07-2016, 09:03 PM

Yip pretty sure it was a competition

norhfc
29-07-2016, 09:37 PM
The St Andrews flag is over 700 years old, one of the oldest in the world. Something to be very proud of, we have a rich history which is often not taught in our schools. Agree with OP, who is this Lord guy who decides who can use what, that's just not right.

Glory Lurker
29-07-2016, 10:09 PM
I guess you never watched AM first Wimbledon triumph. Sitting in the royal box AS pulls the saltire flag oot his pocket & starts waving it. All right if he was in the crowd, but no flags allowed in Royal box.

Respect the Royal Box! :faint::slipper:

Ultrabee1-0
29-07-2016, 11:38 PM
How did i post about the badge and it turns into first ministers questions?
To be honest i like the current badge, but going back to a gold harp wouldnt get any compliants from me.

Phil MaGlass
30-07-2016, 05:46 AM
New badge is excellent, donīt have a problem with the gold harp, but it doesnt make me feel anymore of a Hibs supporter having it. I get the roots and all that, but, for me, the new badge encompasses everything I need from Hibs and thereīs something there for everyone, except a nude lady/mermaid

schinkenotto
30-07-2016, 12:51 PM
Can we keep this sort of this irrelevant racist tosh out of these forums?What is a "British Nationalist" in this context and if someone falls into this category,is he/she still permitted to support Hibs?

NAE NOOKIE
30-07-2016, 01:01 PM
New badge is excellent, donīt have a problem with the gold harp, but it doesnt make me feel anymore of a Hibs supporter having it. I get the roots and all that, but, for me, the new badge encompasses everything I need from Hibs and thereīs something there for everyone, except a nude lady/mermaid

This ... The current badge reflects the clubs history and connections to the community perfectly.

The Harp ........... Ireland
The Castle ......... Edinburgh
The Ship ........... Leith
The White chevron behind the castle ..... Arthur's Seat, which nobody seems to mention :greengrin

HIBERNIAN-0762
30-07-2016, 01:05 PM

Our last decent badge

Disgusting badge that is, a crown? not on your nelly.:confused:

NAE NOOKIE
30-07-2016, 01:26 PM
Disgusting badge that is, a crown? not on your nelly.:confused:

Me too ....... All sounds a bit royalist sucky, sucky to me ....... lets leave forelock tugging to our 'betters' to the mob across the city, they are so much better at it than us.
https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M0cc2d9c1929357d4dc50c71f39d29ac5o0&w=71&h=110&c=7&rs=1&qlt=90&pid=3.1&rm=2 (https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=images+of+hearts+new+away+strip&id=C256338BCBBC392C0C964A0B46A1BFE651D4BAD1&FORM=IQFRBA)

Besides ... if you want to be pedantic about it ... The crown badge was copied from Real Madrid, who use it because they enjoy royal patronage .... something highly unlikely ever to apply to Hibernian football club :greengrin