PDA

View Full Version : Lennon predicting a busy week in the transfer market.

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Keyser Sauzee
02-08-2016, 02:05 PM
I just had a look on Bakhtaoui's wiki page, seems a Dundee fan has already updated it!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faissal_El_Bakhtaoui

Andy74
02-08-2016, 02:05 PM
I don't want Hibs to sign him...but I don't want anyone else in the league to have him either in case he's decent. Probably bad news.

We got relegated.

ekhibee
02-08-2016, 02:10 PM
I just had a look on Bakhtaoui's wiki page, seems a Dundee fan has already updated it!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faissal_El_Bakhtaoui

lol I wonder how long THAT'll last till it's 'amended'. lol

Dashing Bob S
02-08-2016, 02:16 PM
IMO, Hendo would be just purfect.

Would Smeltic have a claws in his contract that says they would get a cut of any future transfer fee?

GloryGlory
02-08-2016, 02:18 PM
Interesting that despite it all Stubbsy still can't see past him.

ISTR that Stubbs said he was still on good terms with Allan, even after all the transfer goings-on last year.

On a more positive note, if Celtic are now sending surplus players out on loan, could we be hearing about Liam Henderson soon, as well? :greengrin

GreenOnions
02-08-2016, 02:19 PM
Would Smeltic have a claws in his contract that says they would get a cut of any future transfer fee?

What's with the big "claws"?

hibs0666
02-08-2016, 02:32 PM
Looks like the Celtic logjam is starting to move - Allan is off to Rotherham on a year's loan.

Real Emerald
02-08-2016, 03:25 PM
What's happening with the keeper, no announcement on that yet and not a lot else seems to be happening? Since the cup final the radio silence from the club is concerning me when they were meant to be doing more connecting with the fans. All very odd!

Franck Stanton
02-08-2016, 03:42 PM
The Club do know that the league starts THIS SATURDAY don't they ? Here we are, 3 days before it does and we still have only been told about one signing, yes one. we desperately need a keeper, seems we have one - however has he signed ? What's with all the silence from E/R ? IF the keeper has signed on - let us know ffs.

Wee Effen Bee
02-08-2016, 03:42 PM
What's happening with the keeper, no announcement on that yet and not a lot else seems to be happening? Since the cup final the radio silence from the club is concerning me when they were meant to be doing more connecting with the fans. All very odd!

Can't answer that really. Maybe they would be bored repeating the same things over and over: " ...despite media speculation, we are currently in delicate negotiations with teams re certain players who we would rather not name at this present time." :dunno:

Blaster
02-08-2016, 03:44 PM
International clearance awaited for the keeper possibly?

Ozyhibby
02-08-2016, 03:53 PM
Maybe the club have taken the lead from here and think we'll 'skoosh' this league and that we have a good enough squad already? Maybe we are just banking all the extra money for next season?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Borderhibbie76
02-08-2016, 04:00 PM
The Club do know that the league starts THIS SATURDAY don't they ? Here we are, 3 days before it does and we still have only been told about one signing, yes one. we desperately need a keeper, seems we have one - however has he signed ? What's with all the silence from E/R ? IF the keeper has signed on - let us know ffs.
Can't understand this either- he flew in last night yet silence from the club. If we were to lose on Sat this place will go into meltdown at lack of transfer activity I know we don't need much but really 2 signings all summer?? And 1 of those is meant to be a back up keeper in Laidlaw

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

IanM
02-08-2016, 04:02 PM

We've signed two.. Laidlaw and Holt

Don't know what the panic is about, the team we have looked good enough against Brondy and have no fears about Saturday. Let's use the whole window to make sure we get the quality we need in until January and improve on that again.

I'm sure everyone would have liked players in before now but we have a new management structure in place and he'll have his own targets which we all know take time.

Maybe the keeper hasn't signed which is why we're not announcing? Who knows but players will come, just need to be patient

Real Emerald
02-08-2016, 04:13 PM
Can't answer that really. Maybe they would be bored repeating the same things over and over: " ...despite media speculation, we are currently in delicate negotiations with teams re certain players who we would rather not name at this present time." :dunno:
It's not just the signings though, the silence surrounding what they are doing about cup final merchandise and wait until the home strip doesn't appear on time. I've heard that may happen but not sure how true. It just doesn't feel like the club have won their holy grail after 114 years. It just went flat at a time when they should have been shouting from the rooftops and selling us loads of goodies. Ah well!

Billychaotic182
02-08-2016, 04:18 PM
We've signed two.. Laidlaw and Holt

Don't know what the panic is about, the team we have looked good enough against Brondy and have no fears about Saturday. Let's use the whole window to make sure we get the quality we need in until January and improve on that again.

I'm sure everyone would have liked players in before now but we have a new management structure in place and he'll have his own targets which we all know take time.

Maybe the keeper hasn't signed which is why we're not announcing? Who knows but players will come, just need to be patient

For me the worrying point is a good few of our Key players are rather injury prone and we don't have much depth to replace them. However saying that we could see some good break out young talent like Crane, Martin, Shaw and Dunsmore get a chance.

IanM
02-08-2016, 04:29 PM
For me the worrying point is a good few of our Key players are rather injury prone and we don't have much depth to replace them. However saying that we could see some good break out young talent like Crane, Martin, Shaw and Dunsmore get a chance.

I think on that Gray, McGeough and one more have knocks going into Saturday but those youngsters mentioned, at least a couple anyway, have looked good and might be ready to step up.

Long season ahead and we do need players but I'd rather we waited and got who we wanted.

We've asked Celtic for Henderson, doesn't seem further forward but do we just give up and go elsewhere? Or do we wait for Celtics reply and concentrate on Saturday with he squad we have? I know what I'd rather do

jonny
02-08-2016, 04:31 PM
See Dundee have just signed the boy from Dunfermline, El Bakhtaoui.

Spike Mandela
02-08-2016, 05:04 PM
See Dundee have just signed the boy from Dunfermline, El Bakhtaoui.

Should signal the sale of Greg Stewart I would imagine.

Ozyhibby
02-08-2016, 05:26 PM

Good to see everyone else getting their business done in time for the new season.

blackpoolhibs
02-08-2016, 05:30 PM
Good to see everyone else getting their business done in time for the new season.

Are they, i have just seen Brendan Rodgers on sky saying he needs to bring in more quality in a few positions?

I'd say most clubs in Scotland are in the same position, and the nearer we get to the end of the transfer window, the more business wwill be done for all clubs.

WhileTheChief..
02-08-2016, 05:40 PM
This is the most relaxed I've felt close season in a long time. Feels like we know what we want are going about getting it done.

I think we'll have 4 or 5 new faces in total by the end of the month.

hibbysam
02-08-2016, 05:44 PM

You do realise Dundee are in the Premiership, and have just signed Dunfermline's main man from the past few years... That says to me Dunfermline are weaker than last year in that regard.

Maybe Lennon is more than happy with his squad, why wouldn't he be? We have just dismantled Motherwell, Shrewsbury, beat Birmingham and Brondby... I think I will trust Lennon over some nomark in the stands.

The_Horde
02-08-2016, 05:46 PM

Didn't they just sell hemmings? Could be more to do with that?

Ozyhibby
02-08-2016, 05:46 PM
You do realise Dundee are in the Premiership, and have just signed Dunfermline's main man from the past few years... That says to me Dunfermline are weaker than last year in that regard.

Maybe Lennon is more than happy with his squad, why wouldn't he be? We have just dismantled Motherwell, Shrewsbury, beat Birmingham and Brondby... I think I will trust Lennon over some nomark in the stands.

You probably had the same trust in Butcher. [emoji23]

ancient hibee
02-08-2016, 05:47 PM
Stewart next.

hibbysam
02-08-2016, 05:49 PM
You probably had the same trust in Butcher. [emoji23]

Comparing Neil Lennon to Terry Butcher... I'm out!

truehibernian
02-08-2016, 05:49 PM

Two of our main targets are contracted to Celtic and for one of them I think they (Celtic) are waiting until they know Champions League fate/ guarantee qualification for pay off reasons. In my opinion anyway.

Keyser Sauzee
02-08-2016, 05:52 PM
It is only the first game of the season on Saturday not the last, If Lennon was unable to pick 16 players from the current squad to beat Falkirk I would be worried but he can so I'm not. Folk need to settle down

cabbageandribs1875
02-08-2016, 05:52 PM
as frankie said....relax

Baw187
02-08-2016, 05:53 PM
The keeper is essential and by all accounts will be done. While we could do with some cover up front, the squad is pretty good and will benefit from being able to field virtually the same team as last season. We also have Martin and Crane who look more than able to fill in where required.

Lennon will make a big difference tactically and we've already witnessed the positive results in pre season. More goals scored. Less conceded.

Therefore, get the keeper in, and another striker before the end of the window, and we're all good. Can't see where the panic is coming from cause we've not signed many players yet.

1875STEVE
02-08-2016, 05:54 PM
We defo need a few signings in, especially a keeper.

Also IMO we need a wide man/creative player in midfield, another striker and possibly cover for full backs.

BUT I'm still relaxed our current squad is by far the strongest, and should be good enough to win the league by a fair bit.

Dashing Bob S
02-08-2016, 05:54 PM
Two of our main targets are contracted to Celtic and for one of them I think they (Celtic) are waiting until they know Champions League fate/ guarantee qualification for pay off reasons. In my opinion anyway.

A decent enough enough assumption to make, old chap.

Baw187
02-08-2016, 05:56 PM

Henderson and who else?

truehibernian
02-08-2016, 06:14 PM
Henderson and who else?

Kris Commons. Pretty sure if they qualify they have to make their CL group stage squad and I don't think he'll be close - and he's injured. So my educated guess is, given his family is settled, and he wants to coach, that he'll be paid off and come to Hibs to link up with Lennon.

Baw187
02-08-2016, 06:16 PM
Kris Commons. Pretty sure if they qualify they have to make their CL group stage squad and I don't think he'll be close - and he's injured. So my educated guess is, given his family is settled, and he wants to coach, that he'll be paid off and come to Hibs to link up with Lennon.

[emoji1303] I forgot about him. Is that a serious target? Had always thought it was a bit wishful thinking.

Danderhall Hibs
02-08-2016, 06:21 PM
A decent enough enough assumption to make, old chap.

It is and based on past history deals between us and them always seem to drag on forever - Stokes, McGeough and even Riordan all spring to mind.

shetlandhibee
02-08-2016, 06:21 PM
:agree:
pretty much what im thinking as well :thumbsup:

Jonnyboy
02-08-2016, 06:23 PM

Groundless exaggeration

Danderhall Hibs
02-08-2016, 06:25 PM

I just wish HSL would get their hand in their pocket and give the manager some money.

Nicho87
02-08-2016, 06:25 PM
is the league back to white footballs? cant stand those horrible winter yellow ones they made us play with last season, off topic i no, but not alot else happening

Ozyhibby
02-08-2016, 06:27 PM
I just wish HSL would get their hand in their pocket and give the manager some money.

It's done. Up to him to spend it.

truehibernian
02-08-2016, 06:30 PM
[emoji1303] I forgot about him. Is that a serious target? Had always thought it was a bit wishful thinking.

I meant 'name their squad' (typo). If they get Sinclair and another striker in then it again pushes him out the picture. Commons won't be in the 22 in my view.

Baw187
02-08-2016, 06:36 PM
It's done. Up to him to spend it.

No doubt spent a good bit of it retaining the services of one of the best centre halfs in Scotland as well as one of the brightest young centre forwards.

If we'd signed 2 players of that calibre from another team then we'd be wetting our pants. Let's not forget how crucial keeping those 2 has been given what we'd have had to do to replace them.

Big L
02-08-2016, 06:36 PM

I can't believe that Commons will give up 18K a week to play in the championship. I think their might be clubs in the lower reaches of the English Championship who might attract him but I don't think we will. I'm more than happy if we get a keeper and Henderson.

Ronniekirk
02-08-2016, 06:44 PM
I can't believe that Commons will give up 18K a week to play in the championship. I think their might be clubs in the lower reaches of the English Championship who might attract him but I don't think we will. I'm more than happy if we get a keeper and Henderson.

Think we do also need a Striker even if its just cover as at present if one of our three main strikers gets injured and is out for any lenth of time it would leave us short of options

truehibernian
02-08-2016, 06:45 PM

He wouldn't be giving it up, he'd be paid off. His family are settled here, he's 33, and I'm sure he's made it known he doesn't like travelling unnecessarily and being away from family. He's doing his badges and maybe Hibs would offer football and that rare window of opportunity into decent club management. There's mileage in it for sure.

Borderhibbie76
02-08-2016, 06:49 PM
We defo need a few signings in, especially a keeper.

Also IMO we need a wide man/creative player in midfield, another striker and possibly cover for full backs.

BUT I'm still relaxed our current squad is by far the strongest, and should be good enough to win the league by a fair bit.
We don't need full back cover we have Dunsmore and or McGregor and or Forster for RB and Crane can cover LB. Agree with your other points tho a goalie, creative mid (Hendo??) And a striker needed

Ozyhibby
02-08-2016, 07:03 PM
We don't need full back cover we have Dunsmore and or McGregor and or Forster for RB and Crane can cover LB. Agree with your other points tho a goalie, creative mid (Hendo??) And a striker needed

Didn't we sign full back cover from raith last season?

Borderhibbie76
02-08-2016, 07:04 PM
Didn't we sign full back cover from raith last season?

We did yeah but can't remember the guys name??

oneone73
02-08-2016, 07:04 PM
We did yeah but can't remember the guys name??

Mackie?

Borderhibbie76
02-08-2016, 07:06 PM
Mackie?
Is he the young left back yeah??

Hibby Kay-Yay
02-08-2016, 07:12 PM
Is he the young left back yeah??

And has just been on the receiving end of a bad tackle at Tranent game, has been subbed.

Borderhibbie76
02-08-2016, 07:13 PM
And has just been on the receiving end of a bad tackle at Tranent game, has been subbed.
Aw no way

tamig
02-08-2016, 07:27 PM

Well said. I don't see Dunfermline being a threat in any case this season though - even if they'd kept their main man.

ancient hibee
02-08-2016, 09:16 PM

The Commons of a couple of years ago anyone would want but do we really need another midfielder carrying an injury sitting in the stands every 3/4 games.

truehibernian
02-08-2016, 09:35 PM
The Commons of a couple of years ago anyone would want but do we really need another midfielder carrying an injury sitting in the stands every 3/4 games.

He didn't sit in the stand injured every 3 or 4 games last season - Deila wouldn't really play him.

Mind his diet could be in question - he nearly swiped my mince pie at Tynie last season during the second half ! And the pies there are rank !

I still think, believe it or not, Commons may be a Hibs player soon.

keep the faith
02-08-2016, 09:41 PM
No doubt spent a good bit of it retaining the services of one of the best centre halfs in Scotland as well as one of the brightest young centre forwards.

If we'd signed 2 players of that calibre from another team then we'd be wetting our pants. Let's not forget how crucial keeping those 2 has been given what we'd have had to do to replace them.

Spot on.

West lower
02-08-2016, 09:45 PM
He didn't sit in the stand injured every 3 or 4 games last season - Deila wouldn't really play him.

Mind his diet could be in question - he nearly swiped my mince pie at Tynie last season during the second half ! And the pies there are rank !

I still think, believe it or not, Commons may be a Hibs player soon.

It would be nice to have a true "free kick expert". Could be the difference in those games where we are struggling to break teams down.

IWasThere2016
02-08-2016, 11:30 PM

£12k

mjhibby
03-08-2016, 03:13 AM

That's the three positions I think we need to fill as well.

HoboHarry
03-08-2016, 03:17 AM
These fitbaw players must be awfy indiscreet when they are oot oan the bevvy oan Saturday nights. Extraordinary number of people know what they are oan fur a weekly wage. Though they do seem to come up with different amounts right enough :wink:

PeterboroHibee
03-08-2016, 06:00 AM
This is the most relaxed I've felt close season in a long time. Feels like we know what we want are going about getting it done.

I think we'll have 4 or 5 new faces in total by the end of the month.

Agreed on both points. Weve had a very good preseason, the team looks strong with arguably more flexibility than last year, and I think we are more than ready for the season to start. The fact we are in that position and are still looking to make the right, key signings is a positive to me (compare that to someone like United who have had to put together an entire squad in a few weeks).

LustForLeith
03-08-2016, 06:31 AM
Aiden McGeady not given a number by Everton for next season. Wonder what the chances are of getting him?

Dundee sign El Bakhtoui as well which after losing Hemmings is a bit of decent business.

Hibby Kay-Yay
03-08-2016, 06:39 AM
Aiden McGeady not given a number by Everton for next season. Wonder what the chances are of getting him?

Dundee sign El Bakhtoui as well which after losing Hemmings is a bit of decent business.

absolutely zero chance

Finn2015
03-08-2016, 06:48 AM
If nothing else, mcgeady strikes me as a footballer who believes he is the real deal so I'd imagine the Scottish championship would not be to his liking.

He told me this on a night out 😂

scoopyboy
03-08-2016, 07:07 AM

I agree Ozy, no point in having a 31st August window deadline as everybody else has their business done and should just be closed now.

NOT.

Heisenberg
03-08-2016, 07:23 AM
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/rosscounty/7220276/Jim-McIntyre-We-wont-sell-Brian-Graham-to-Hibs.html

County manager saying no contact from Hibs and they won't be getting rid of Graham.

SeanWilson
03-08-2016, 07:44 AM
Lennon in press liking Keatings to Commons.... Maybe he genuinely thinks he's already got a player in the squad to mould? Fair play if he uses cash to suppliment the squad in other areas.

we are hibs
03-08-2016, 07:55 AM
The ones saying everything is fine will be the ones moaning when if start yet another season slowly

The_Horde
03-08-2016, 08:17 AM
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/rosscounty/7220276/Jim-McIntyre-We-wont-sell-Brian-Graham-to-Hibs.html

County manager saying no contact from Hibs and they won't be getting rid of Graham.

He's lying.

scoopyboy
03-08-2016, 08:21 AM
The ones saying everything is fine will be the ones moaning when if start yet another season slowly

And the opposite is probably true as well, if we start well the people who were saying we should have signed more quickly will vanish into the sunset.

GloryGlory
03-08-2016, 08:23 AM
He's lying.

Maybe the contact has been at board level and he hasn't been involved? :dunno:

Brightside
03-08-2016, 08:37 AM

I wouldn't have thought so.

CRAZYHIBBY
03-08-2016, 09:09 AM
What happened to Marciano and the flurry of signings....I'm getting a wee bit confused now

BSEJVT
03-08-2016, 09:21 AM
And the opposite is probably true as well, if we start well the people who were saying we should have signed more quickly will vanish into the sunset.

I think that's pretty harsh

I think the lack of signings so far is a concern and whilst it might all work out fine, I don't think there is any question that the overall squad is far weaker at this point in time that the one that finished the season.

If folk who express a concern over that situation now are going to be held up to ridicule at a later date, by others who have the benefit of hindsight, it wont half stifle debate on this forum.

The mantra for many on this board was to get the players in early and have them settled before the season began to hopefully prevent the early season woes of the last 2 years.

For one reason or another that hasn't happened, but I have to say regardless of whether we start the season well or not, I would be concerned about coming out of the transfer window, with the squad we presently have.

I am sure that wont be the case, but right now it is a legitimate concern.

Brightside
03-08-2016, 09:30 AM

I think the lack of signings so far is a concern and whilst it might all work out fine, I don't think there is any question that the overall squad is far weaker at this point in time that the one that finished the season.

If folk who express a concern over that situation now are going to be held up to ridicule at a later date, by others who have the benefit of hindsight, it wont half stifle debate on this forum.

The mantra for many on this board was to get the players in early and have them settled before the season began to hopefully prevent the early season woes of the last 2 years.

For one reason or another that hasn't happened, but I have to say regardless of whether we start the season well or not, I would be concerned about coming out of the transfer window, with the squad we presently have.

The assumptions that the squad is weaker when the young players are a year older and the squad has more experience is flawed. There is zero need to rush out and dow what Utd are doing. They are in a total mess and still need 3 new defenders. Falkirk have lost their two best midfielders. Our squad is stronger in terms of the other teams in the league. AND there is still 3 players to come. Its not as if its been a poor pre-season.

Col2
03-08-2016, 09:31 AM

Agree with all that except the point "squad is far weaker than last season". I think it is weaker but not far weaker. Stokes (will always be a legend) did little until cup final and he had hadn't performed to that level I don't think we would say We are weaker with Holt arriving. Henderson - yes this leaves us a little weaker.

But lets be honest we WILL sign players before transfer window closes so we are unlikely to be far weaker by then. At worst we are likely to be on a par.

Unseen work
03-08-2016, 09:40 AM
Please sign someone, anyone. I need a bit of excitement :greengrin

in in all seriousness I hope Lennon isn't being naive with the squad we having, thinking it is adequate and will steam roll the championship.

i think as fans we are concerned as we are seeing players who in all honestly have been poor or not upto the standard for a couple of years now getting another chance, in our most important season.

i want them to succeed but I also think we need more competition incase.

also comparing keatings to commons, I get what he's trying to say but there were games last season where it was like being a man down. Maybe he can get the best out of him there but IMO he is a striker and we need a new no. 10

J-C
03-08-2016, 09:42 AM

Far far too many over the top posts like this going on about lack of signings.

Take a look at the squad compared to last season...Stokes apart from the final took over a month to get up to speed and he never looked like gelling into the squad or even having an understanding with JC or Keatings.

Dagnall didn't score, Farid was always 2 weeks away, Gunnarsson as good as he was was only here as cover for Gray, he was on the bench most weeks and Henderson will be here as soon as Lawell gets his finger oot his erse and signs the deal off.

We've re signed our top scorer and our best defender, signed an EPL quality forward who's style is what we're needing as a partnership and loan players have came back after some decent performances while on loan.

Unlike last season we're not starting the season with 4-5 players on the treatment table, apart from a couple of niggles we're all pretty much fit to go, the squad/team are all well gelled from last season so there will be no bedding in period and by the looks of a very good pre season, Lennon has managed to do what Stubbs couldn't, get the same players play with a tempo and purpose.

I'm happy starting the season with the squad we have and wait until the extra quality we need can be signed up, rather than just sign for the sake of it, there is well over 3 weeks left in the window all that is needed is additions and not a major overhaul for a change.

ARGP
03-08-2016, 09:44 AM
Agree with all that except the point "squad is far weaker than last season". I think it is weaker but not far weaker. Stokes (will always be a legend) did little until cup final and he had hadn't performed to that level I don't think we would say We are weaker with Holt arriving. Henderson - yes this leaves us a little weaker.

But lets be honest we WILL sign players before transfer window closes so we are unlikely to be far weaker by then. At worst we are likely to be on a par.

We are weaker in goal, midfield and up top. I can't see how that could be argued. Dundee Utd and Falkirk look stronger on paper also.

It's slightly concerning at his stage.

Hibbyradge
03-08-2016, 09:45 AM
We are weaker in goal, midfield and up top. I can't see how that could be argued. Dundee Utd and Falkirk look stronger on paper also.

In what way do Falkirk look stronger?

scoopyboy
03-08-2016, 09:49 AM

Bit of a contradiction within the post.

GloryGlory
03-08-2016, 09:49 AM
In what way do Falkirk look stronger?

Exactly - they've lost Vaulks and Alston, two of their best players, and brought in John Rankin, the other Liam Henderson and who?

euro Hibby
03-08-2016, 09:58 AM
After such an exciting end to the season preseason has been really boring because

a) we are winning for the most part
b) no signings
c) No goalie to execute
d) Lewis Stevenson lifted to legend status and playing like a legend and no players performing bad enough to merit negative attention.

When you think about the crap we signed over the years , I am happy fo rth enew manager to take his time and make sure that we have a chance to get in meaningful
player additions.

Roll on the first legue game :-9

SlickShoes
03-08-2016, 09:58 AM

We look like the strongest team in the league, on paper.

Laidlaw is really no worse than Oxley or Logan (apart from THAT game).

We are missing Henderson from midfield but we have other players that are now fit and/or more motivated to fight for a place.

I honestly don't think we are weaker at all, we have less depth than we need but on paper this squad should be capable of winning the league.

We do still need a few more signings, but I don't think there is anything wrong with the current team.

Borderhibbie76
03-08-2016, 10:01 AM
What would help is some sort of communication from Hibs that we are active and working on getting a few deals over the line etc...but so far nothing the silence is deafening and that's what is concerning people. And if we were to lose on Saturday fingers will rightly be pointed - that's the way of the world I'm afraid

Andy74
03-08-2016, 10:04 AM
We look like the strongest team in the league, on paper.

Laidlaw is really no worse than Oxley or Logan (apart from THAT game).

We are missing Henderson from midfield but we have other players that are now fit and/or more motivated to fight for a place.

I honestly don't think we are weaker at all, we have less depth than we need but on paper this squad should be capable of winning the league.

We do still need a few more signings, but I don't think there is anything wrong with the current team.

One thing though is that the team made pretty heavy weather of the league last year and I think we were hoping that we could address that not only by tactics but by bringing in a type of player that might make a difference with a bit of pace or trickery.

As it stands we are a bit weaker than last year player wise so we need to rely on the manager getting more out of the players he has.

Brightside
03-08-2016, 10:05 AM

Falkirk and Utd look nothing like stronger.

GreenNWhiteArmy
03-08-2016, 10:06 AM
Why is it so essential we make signings? is it because we need something to excite us? I just don't get it at all. Lets not forget we re-signed Hanlon and got Jase on a long term contract - 2 fantastic signings

Lets look at our pre season - off to a slow start vs Berwick Rangers. Destroyed Edinburgh City. Destroyed Motherwell. Outplayed Brondby home and away and unlucky to go out on pens. Destroyed Shrewsbury and edged a tight game against Birmingham. All but 2 of these teams are better than what we will face throughout the season.

In terms of signings, I'd say its pretty clear that Hendo will be re-joining us (what kind of deal is still to be determined) then we need, what maybe 1 striker and a winger at an absolute most? We are in an extremely healthy position and it just seems people will find any reason to have a go at the club. We're Scottish Cup Champions and heading in to a season in the best shape i can remember (particularly this millennium!!) so lets just chill out.

Falkirk, as has been alluded to have already lost their best 2 players and we beat Dun Utd twice last season and they are still nowhere near ready

hibs0666
03-08-2016, 10:07 AM
What would help is some sort of communication from Hibs that we are active and working on getting a few deals over the line etc...but so far nothing the silence is deafening and that's what is concerning people. And if we were to lose on Saturday fingers will rightly be pointed - that's the way of the world I'm afraid

It's the panic merchants way of the world. Most of us however would be perfectly calm.

BSEJVT
03-08-2016, 10:12 AM
The assumptions that the squad is weaker when the young players are a year older and the squad has more experience is flawed. There is zero need to rush out and dow what Utd are doing. They are in a total mess and still need 3 new defenders. Falkirk have lost their two best midfielders. Our squad is stronger in terms of the other teams in the league. AND there is still 3 players to come. Its not as if its been a poor pre-season.

Sorry cant agree re the young players

IMO you can split them into 2 distinct groups

1) the truly young just making their breakthrough, which I would concede you are correct with, but just how they will acquit themselves if called upon is completely unknown.

2) the returning loanees, I still hope that Forster Stanton & Harris might step up to the plate (Scott Martin for me falls into the 1st group as he is relatively untried at our level) and make meaningful sustained contributions but they have failed to so to date and we are placing a huge deal of faith in them as things stand on little more than hope

I agree that we are far far better placed than our peers, but that wasn't the point under discussion.

We should be seeking to be the best we can be and be prepared to smash through this league like Hearts & The Rangers have and IMO we are not yet prepared to do so.

I have said ad nauseum that I think we will get players in, but here and now we are weaker.

The goalie situation is a strange and troubling one for me, I presume we will sign Marciano but I cant see there having been a huge queue for a goalie that has hardly played in a year and if there were any position that a bit of bedding in time would have been beneficial for it is his.

I would hate to think that the delay in getting him on board is indicative of the lack of urgency with which we are pursuing our other targets.

I am happy to concede that the Henderson deal has shifted and that the delay for it is explainable, but I wouldn't have thought our other targets would be world beaters and should have been easier to secure?

BSEJVT
03-08-2016, 10:13 AM
Bit of a contradiction within the post.

You will need to point it out to me as I don't see it

Brightside
03-08-2016, 10:16 AM

every time he says that he gets slatted on here for talking to much!

Lee Marvin
03-08-2016, 10:19 AM
Rumours that Sinclair will finally be at Celtic park tonight.

If true, this will hopefully make the Henderson deal move quicker.

BSEJVT
03-08-2016, 10:23 AM
Far far too many over the top posts like this going on about lack of signings.

Take a look at the squad compared to last season...Stokes apart from the final took over a month to get up to speed and he never looked like gelling into the squad or even having an understanding with JC or Keatings.

Dagnall didn't score, Farid was always 2 weeks away, Gunnarsson as good as he was was only here as cover for Gray, he was on the bench most weeks and Henderson will be here as soon as Lawell gets his finger oot his erse and signs the deal off.

We've re signed our top scorer and our best defender, signed an EPL quality forward who's style is what we're needing as a partnership and loan players have came back after some decent performances while on loan.

Unlike last season we're not starting the season with 4-5 players on the treatment table, apart from a couple of niggles we're all pretty much fit to go, the squad/team are all well gelled from last season so there will be no bedding in period and by the looks of a very good pre season, Lennon has managed to do what Stubbs couldn't, get the same players play with a tempo and purpose.

I'm happy starting the season with the squad we have and wait until the extra quality we need can be signed up, rather than just sign for the sake of it, there is well over 3 weeks left in the window all that is needed is additions and not a major overhaul for a change.

In what way is that post over the top?

You have written off Dagnall, Stokes and Gunnarson.

What if the signings we await are as ineffective as you claim they were?

I guarantee you that if you looked back to the end of the season, this forum was awash with folk saying we needed to get the targets in early and settled and start the league with a bang.

Well the targets aren't yet in and hopefully we will start the season with a bang, but I wouldn't want to try and see it through with the present squad.

There is a danger that unless we conclude our business we run this risk of missing our targets and sliding further down the list to find the next best thing

We have seen the outcome of that in the various charlatans that have strolled through the door late in the day in the not too distant past.

JDHibs
03-08-2016, 10:32 AM
Dundee Utd are where we were 2 years ago, a mess with a big rebuilding job to do, they are still way off being where they need to be.

Falkirk have lost their 2 best players in Vaulks and Alston and have replaced with mediocre players.

As for us being weaker? Thats VERY debatable. Where are we weaker?

Oxley/Logan out, Laidlaw and Marciano in, well Marciano should be complete in the coming days. Im happier with the 2 we will have this season.

Defence we signed Hanlon up to a long term contract which will clear his head. We lost Gunni but brought back Forster who is the same type of player and very capable at this level. We also have brought back in Crane who looks very promising at left back, he also captained the team last night against Tranent.

Midfield we have lost Hendo, but are actively trying to resign him and SHOULD resign him in the coming days, depending on Celtic. We also have brought back, Harris, Stanton and Martin who have shown during pre season that they are hungry and ready to step up.

Strikers wise we lost Dagnall and Alagui who are no loss what so ever. Stokes played well for 4 games in 6 months, legend that he is, he doesnt fit in with the strikers we have and never once looked like forming a partnership with Cummings OR Keatings. Holt maybe less a quality of player than Stokes but Holt is what we NEED so makes us stronger as a TEAM.

So where are we weaker and why the panic for players? We need MAYBE 2 or 3. Not including Marciano. I would like the Hendo deal to finalize, add in a big lad up top to aid Holt due to age and injury record and a winger? Depending on the plans for Harris and Stanton.

We are in a very strong position going into the new season and Lennon has got the players playing in a formation and style that suits THEM, not what suits HIM. We will win this league by 15 points.

CapitalGreen
03-08-2016, 10:36 AM
I guarantee you that if you looked back to the end of the season, this forum was awash with folk saying we needed to get the targets in early and settled and start the league with a bang.

That was because we had lost Craig, Robertson and Allan from our midfield. With the exception of Marciano, we have a settled first XI in place and any signings are likely to be squad players.

Andy74
03-08-2016, 10:37 AM
Dundee Utd are where we were 2 years ago, a mess with a big rebuilding job to do, they are still way off being where they need to be.

Falkirk have lost their 2 best players in Vaulks and Alston and have replaced with mediocre players.

As for us being weaker? Thats VERY debatable. Where are we weaker?

Oxley/Logan out, Laidlaw and Marciano in, well Marciano should be complete in the coming days. Im happier with the 2 we will have this season.

Defence we signed Hanlon up to a long term contract which will clear his head. We lost Gunni but brought back Forster who is the same type of player and very capable at this level. We also have brought back in Crane who looks very promising at left back, he also captained the team last night against Tranent.

Midfield we have lost Hendo, but are actively trying to resign him and SHOULD resign him in the coming days, depending on Celtic. We also have brought back, Harris, Stanton and Martin who have shown during pre season that they are hungry and ready to step up.

Strikers wise we lost Dagnall and Alagui who are no loss what so ever. Stokes played well for 4 games in 6 months, legend that he is, he doesnt fit in with the strikers we have and never once looked like forming a partnership with Cummings OR Keatings. Holt maybe less a quality of player than Stokes but Holt is what we NEED so makes us stronger as a TEAM.

So where are we weaker and why the panic for players? We need MAYBE 2 or 3. Not including Marciano. I would like the Hendo deal to finalize, add in a big lad up top to aid Holt due to age and injury record and a winger? Depending on the plans for Harris and Stanton.

We are in a very strong position going into the new season and Lennon has got the players playing in a formation and style that suits THEM, not what suits HIM. We will win this league by 15 points.

That's fine but we weren't good enough in the league last year.

We are relying on thinking the others will be weaker so that's okay?

JDHibs
03-08-2016, 10:43 AM

Different manager, different formation, different style.

Stubbs had the players at his disposal to get promoted, as shown with our run in the cups where we defeated several prem teams, he was too stubborn or naive to change his formation to beat the smaller teams.

Leicester are a good example, under Pearson they barely survived relegation, Ranieri came in, made 3 or 4 signings and they won the league. Its a cliche to use Leicester now but they are the most obvious choice in this discussion.

mjhibby
03-08-2016, 10:43 AM
Why is it so essential we make signings? is it because we need something to excite us? I just don't get it at all. Lets not forget we re-signed Hanlon and got Jase on a long term contract - 2 fantastic signings

Lets look at our pre season - off to a slow start vs Berwick Rangers. Destroyed Edinburgh City. Destroyed Motherwell. Outplayed Brondby home and away and unlucky to go out on pens. Destroyed Shrewsbury and edged a tight game against Birmingham. All but 2 of these teams are better than what we will face throughout the season.

In terms of signings, I'd say its pretty clear that Hendo will be re-joining us (what kind of deal is still to be determined) then we need, what maybe 1 striker and a winger at an absolute most? We are in an extremely healthy position and it just seems people will find any reason to have a go at the club. We're Scottish Cup Champions and heading in to a season in the best shape i can remember (particularly this millennium!!) so lets just chill out.

Falkirk, as has been alluded to have already lost their best 2 players and we beat Dun Utd twice last season and they are still nowhere near ready

Here here.

hibs0666
03-08-2016, 10:44 AM

Because we are a way better team than we were last season

Steve20

If the club come out and say we're trying for a deal and then it doesn't happen, people will say they should have kept quiet. Happened when Lennon mentioned McDonald. Best to stay quiet until a deal is done.

You can't compare friendlies to how we will cope in the league. Meaningless results.

The Brondby games are different as they were competitive and they matches certainly gave reason for optimism going into the new season.

We do need 3-4 players in before the close of the window. A keeper and another striker being priority.

Lee Marvin

Our position in the league is not totally dependant on the players each team has.

We have a new manager with a new philosophy which, imo, will be a bigger factor in this league. Our style the last 2 years wasn't ideal against 'backs against the wall' tactics. Lennon will hopefully change this, not the players

CapitalGreen
03-08-2016, 10:47 AM

Our failings last season were tactical. We conceded the join least amount of goals despite supposedly having a huddy of a goalkeeper. Our play was slow, possession based with seemingly no Plan B if we were struggling. Our new management has shown over the course of pre-season they can implement different set-ups successfully.

I'm not relying on thinking the others will be weaker. I'm relying on thinking that our highly paid, new management team have the ability to achieve what Robbie Neilson did.

scoopyboy
03-08-2016, 10:47 AM
You will need to point it out to me as I don't see it

You said you would be seriously concerned about coming out of the transfer window with the squad as it is.

Next line you say you are sure that won't happen.

So you are seriously concerned about something that you know will not happen.

Hope you can see now where I was coming from.

Smartie
03-08-2016, 10:51 AM

I think it depends on why you think we weren't good enough in the league last year.

Was it a personnel issue? I don't think so. I don't think you could say that the players weren't good enough.

We were excellent for much of the first half of the season and were level with Rangers (and miles ahead of Falkirk) at Christmas.

We had a horrible drop-off in the league in about March and I think getting to the bottom of that is key.

The fixture pile-up, the fact that Stubbs had sent several players out on loan and his refusal to rotate his squad contributed massively.

I'll always be grateful to Stubbs for the cup but imo he had a huge part to play with our under-performance in the league (which still didn't exactly have us miles behind Falkirk who ARE significantly weaker).

Stubbs didn't get the final third right at all. Cummings and Stokes didn't work. He persisted with Cummings for far too long when he was clearly out of form. We didn't play with enough intensity, particularly away from home. We didn't play with enough width and relied to heavily on Stevenson and Gray to get forward as our only wide outlet.

We gave away silly goals at silly times (see the Falkirk games).

I honestly don't think that we need many new signings to address these issues. Having a new manager will do most of that.

The loan players coming back and signing Holt addresses most of these. I'd still like to see us sign a left-winger and maybe another striker but I honestly think we're nearly there.

This is the first season in about 10 that I'd hand on heart say that I would be happy to go into the new season without wholesale changes. We needed to hang onto our players and we've done that.

GreenNWhiteArmy
03-08-2016, 10:54 AM
You can't compare friendlies to how we will cope in the league. Meaningless results.

The Brondby games are different as they were competitive and they matches certainly gave reason for optimism going into the new season.

We do need 3-4 players in before the close of the window. A keeper and another striker being priority.

Of course we can compare friendlies to how we're gonna cope in the league, particularly the latter games where we edge closer to the season starting - or is it just because we've had an excellent pre season that we're not allowed to compare? i remember a few times where we have had an indifferent pre season and this place has been in meltdown before the season has even started. The hunger, the application and cohesion in the team is clear to see and will be carried in to Saturday.

Agree RE a goalie and a striker. would like a winger as well. Think Lennon may have a trick or 2 up his sleeve as we approach the end of the window

J-C
03-08-2016, 11:02 AM

What if the signings we await are as ineffective as you claim they were? Maybe that's why we are taking our time to sign better ones.

I guarantee you that if you looked back to the end of the season, this forum was awash with folk saying we needed to get the targets in early and settled and start the league with a bang. That was with Stubbs, we have Lennon who is playing a different/better system with the same players

Well the targets aren't yet in and hopefully we will start the season with a bang, but I wouldn't want to try and see it through with the present squad. Nobody said we will be going through a whole season with this squad.

There is a danger that unless we conclude our business we run this risk of missing our targets and sliding further down the list to find the next best thing Unless you know the targets and who our 2nd/3rd ones are, how can you say business is bad.

We have seen the outcome of that in the various charlatans that have strolled through the door late in the day in the not too distant past. And I'm confident those charlatans will never be back here while LD is at the club.

Andy74
03-08-2016, 11:02 AM
Our position in the league is not totally dependant on the players each team has.

We have a new manager with a new philosophy which, imo, will be a bigger factor in this league. Our style the last 2 years wasn't ideal against 'backs against the wall' tactics. Lennon will hopefully change this, not the players

Well we need to hope so. I'm not in a position where I think we should panic, however, I think some have forgotten that we thought we had a far better team than Falkirk last year.

The team might be settled but it failed in this league largely.

If all it takes is some fresh tactics then great. I think we still need a different type of player to go with it. I'm sure it will come.

Johnny_Leith
03-08-2016, 11:03 AM
I have a lot of faith in Hibs at the moment in regards to transfers so if they take a little more time than we'd all like so be it.

Allan, McGinn, McGeouch, Fyvie, McGregor, Fontaine, Malonga, Gray, Henderson, Stokes etc etc all signed in the last 2 years, we are going to get quality it will just take time.

Does my head in reading Stokes was a poor signing, in a lot of games last season he was our best player. He might have taken a bit of time to get up to speed but he played well in his time here and only won us the Scottish Cup!!

Blaster
03-08-2016, 11:04 AM

We will have a stronger team than we had for the first games of last season and a stronger squad by the end of August

Steve20
03-08-2016, 11:04 AM
Of course we can compare friendlies to how we're gonna cope in the league, particularly the latter games where we edge closer to the season starting - or is it just because we've had an excellent pre season that we're not allowed to compare? i remember a few times where we have had an indifferent pre season and this place has been in meltdown before the season has even started. The hunger, the application and cohesion in the team is clear to see and will be carried in to Saturday.

Agree RE a goalie and a striker. would like a winger as well. Think Lennon may have a trick or 2 up his sleeve as we approach the end of the window

Because we beat Birmingham and Motherwell, that doesn't mean that the squad will definitely win the league. They have given reason for optimism but that's all. No way will they have a bearing on the result on Saturday. Competitive games are different.

I'm sure we'll see a surprise arrival before the end of the window as well. Winger would be nice, I agree.

Smartie
03-08-2016, 11:06 AM

What if the signings we await are as ineffective as you claim they were?

Well the targets aren't yet in and hopefully we will start the season with a bang, but I wouldn't want to try and see it through with the present squad.

There is a danger that unless we conclude our business we run this risk of missing our targets and sliding further down the list to find the next best thing

We have seen the outcome of that in the various charlatans that have strolled through the door late in the day in the not too distant past.

A couple of years ago I would have agreed with you.

But in the last couple of years we've made some of our best signings late - McGregor, McGeouch, Malonga.

If the quality to improve our squad isn't there right now we shouldn't make signings just for the sake of it.

That was the type of nonsense that left us with our relegation squad.

Rowan Vine anyone?

Thecat23
03-08-2016, 11:07 AM
Having a new manager can be as good as new signings. His approach is more attacking and direct. Stubbs done very well and I liked him, but Lennon seems more tactically aware and where we failed last season is where I think Lennon will prove his worth. Yes I think we will sign 3 more players but if it shut today I still think we'd win the league!

BSEJVT
03-08-2016, 11:07 AM
That was because we had lost Craig, Robertson and Allan from our midfield. With the exception of Marciano, we have a settled first XI in place and any signings are likely to be squad players.

2 seasons ago?

BSEJVT
03-08-2016, 11:08 AM
You said you would be seriously concerned about coming out of the transfer window with the squad as it is.

Next line you say you are sure that won't happen.

So you are seriously concerned about something that you know will not happen.

Hope you can see now where I was coming from.

That I can apologies:greengrin

Ozyhibby
03-08-2016, 11:08 AM
Poor Stubbs is getting thrown under a bus by the happy clappers because we have weakened the squad since last season. Now it appears that it was Stubbs who was holding us back. [emoji23][emoji23]

J-C
03-08-2016, 11:10 AM
Well we need to hope so. I'm not in a position where I think we should panic, however, I think some have forgotten that we thought we had a far better team than Falkirk last year.

The team might be settled but it failed in this league largely.

If all it takes is some fresh tactics then great. I think we still need a different type of player to go with it. I'm sure it will come.

Andy it has been pointed out that the failings of last season was down to Stubbs and his stubborn Diamond and unwillingness to rotate players off form or when they didn't work well together, we played pedestrian football with no intensity, Lennon has already changed this with exactly the same players, plus we don't have 4-5 players injured like last pre season.

Smartie
03-08-2016, 11:13 AM
Poor Stubbs is getting thrown under a bus by the happy clappers because we have weakened the squad since last season. Now it appears that it was Stubbs who was holding us back. [emoji23][emoji23]

Over the piece Stubbs was a terrific manager for us. One of our best.

But he got it wrong in the league in the second half of last season. He misjudged January's transfer window and I'm not convinced he knew what it took to get us out of this league.

That said, without Hearts and The Rangers in the league I'd still have backed him to have LEARNED from last season and got us up this season (without the need for play-offs which will forever be a lottery).

I suspect your comment was aimed at me - I'm hardly throwing Stubbs under the bus, just because I think we have enough about us to go up this year without craving new signings.

Thecat23
03-08-2016, 11:14 AM

Stubbs never held us back he brought us on miles from where we were. He was however sometimes lacking in his tactical awareness and that showed at times. I still think he's been our best manager in many a year.

Andy74
03-08-2016, 11:15 AM
Andy it has been pointed out that the failings of last season was down to Stubbs and his stubborn Diamond and unwillingness to rotate players off form or when they didn't work well together, we played pedestrian football with no intensity, Lennon has already changed this with exactly the same players, plus we don't have 4-5 players injured like last pre season.

I agree with you about Stubbs but I don't think we can say it has been changed just yet, we still have a season against championship teams to go through. We've done okay against teams that have played open football and pre season and Europe were both like that.

Do we have the players to consistently play a high tempo with getting it wide, using pace and then taking more of our chances?

I'm not so sure on that yet - I think we need to add another 3 or 4 players to the squad. The likes of Harris and Stanton I'm discounting because I just don't trust them to produce, but Crane and Martin will both feature which is a plus.

Brightside
03-08-2016, 11:17 AM
A night out with some of you lot must be a barrel of laughs. Did you all have Chicken Little read to you too many times growing up. :greengrin

J-C
03-08-2016, 11:22 AM
I agree with you about Stubbs but I don't think we can say it has been changed just yet, we still have a season against championship teams to go through. We've done okay against teams that have played open football and pre season and Europe were both like that.

Do we have the players to consistently play a high tempo with getting it wide, using pace and then taking more of our chances?

I'm not so sure on that yet - I think we need to add another 3 or 4 players to the squad. The likes of Harris and Stanton I'm discounting because I just don't trust them to produce, but Crane and Martin will both feature which is a plus.

Lennon is more astute tactics wise and has got us playing with a higher tempo/intensity from the go. I agree re Stanton and Harris but they will be back up only and anyone coming in will be quality and enhance the team.

Lago
03-08-2016, 11:34 AM
so what has happened to the new keeper, seems to have disappeared on his way from Edinburgh airport.

Dashing Bob S
03-08-2016, 11:35 AM
I have a lot of faith in Hibs at the moment in regards to transfers so if they take a little more time than we'd all like so be it.

Allan, McGinn, McGeouch, Fyvie, McGregor, Fontaine, Malonga, Gray, Henderson, Stokes etc etc all signed in the last 2 years, we are going to get quality it will just take time.

Does my head in reading Stokes was a poor signing, in a lot of games last season he was our best player. He might have taken a bit of time to get up to speed but he played well in his time here and only won us the Scottish Cup!!

The problem with Stokes was that he was a disruptive influence in the dressing room.

The Hun dressing room at Hampden on May 21st around ten minutes to five.

Alfred E Newman
03-08-2016, 11:39 AM

No they won't, they will find something else to moan about.

blackpoolhibs
03-08-2016, 11:40 AM

We are strong now, we will get stronger. Will we be the only club who will sign players from now to the end of the window, or are every team looking to strengthen?

Ozyhibby
03-08-2016, 11:40 AM
so what has happened to the new keeper, seems to have disappeared on his way from Edinburgh airport.

He def made it to East Mains, he was shown round on Monday night while all the pro youth kids were training.

Baw187
03-08-2016, 11:41 AM
One thing though is that the team made pretty heavy weather of the league last year and I think we were hoping that we could address that not only by tactics but by bringing in a type of player that might make a difference with a bit of pace or trickery.

As it stands we are a bit weaker than last year player wise so we need to rely on the manager getting more out of the players he has.

Which based on the evidence to date, looks like it will be the case. The players we have didn't miss out on promotion because they weren't a the required quality, they missed out because they weren't always being deployed in the right way to deal with certain styles of play. I genuinely believe Lennon will give us the required edge.

GloryGlory
03-08-2016, 11:42 AM
We are strong now, we will get stronger. Will we be the only club who will sign players from now to the end of the window, or are every team looking to strengthen?

According to some on here, every other team has completed their transfer business! :greengrin

JimboHibs
03-08-2016, 11:43 AM
Reckon we'll win the league regardless of any new signings,I'm very happy with what we go with.

NthCarolinaHibs
03-08-2016, 11:47 AM
He heard the loyalty points had been scrapped so he's thinking twice...

ArmadaleHibs
03-08-2016, 11:48 AM
Always believed last season was lost due to belief more than anything. I honestly think there has been a change in player attitude since winning the cup. The whole clubs stature and attitude is up and running. If NL brings in more players then great, if he doesn't it's because he has total belief in the boys at his disposal.

Ggtth

scoopyboy
03-08-2016, 11:54 AM
That I can apologies:greengrin

No need for an apology. I was a bit tongue in cheek and ejoy a wee exchange provided it doesn't get nasty.:flag::flag::flag:

Iain G
03-08-2016, 11:59 AM
Always believed last season was lost due to belief more than anything. I honestly think there has been a change in player attitude since winning the cup. The whole clubs stature and attitude is up and running. If NL brings in more players then great, if he doesn't it's because he has total belief in the boys at his disposal.

Ggtth

That and Stubbs wasn't pragmatic enough to change his system against teams we couldn't break down, think Lennon will mix it up more :agree:

JeMeSouviens
03-08-2016, 12:13 PM
Don't think it's been mentioned above - I thought we ultimately failed to catch the New Huns because of our success in the cups. Too many high profile games on too many fronts for a young squad. They did brilliantly in those games but going back to the mundane league games v Morton, Dumbarton, etc they didn't have the focus to grind them all out.

This year I think (****** hope) we'll be 100% league focused.

Thecat23
03-08-2016, 12:19 PM
That did have a huge impact on our season no doubt about it. I have also said this many times mate but there were still many who just didn't rate Stubbs and couldn't see that.

Stubbs defo had his faults but I do think some on here were far to critical of him given the runs we had in the cups and injuries to key players.

JimBHibees
03-08-2016, 12:22 PM
Don't think it's been mentioned above - I thought we ultimately failed to catch the New Huns because of our success in the cups. Too many high profile games on too many fronts for a young squad. They did brilliantly in those games but going back to the mundane league games v Morton, Dumbarton, etc they didn't have the focus to grind them all out.

This year I think (****** hope) we'll be 100% league focused.

Agree quite simplistic rationale at times, we did very well up to Christmas in the League. A little unlucky re Farid or we should have brought another taller striker in as a different option however fundamentally we hit a rut when we had loads of cup games and were catching up league wise.

JimBHibees
03-08-2016, 12:22 PM
That did have a huge impact on our season no doubt about it. I have also said this many times mate but there were still many who just didn't rate Stubbs and couldn't see that.

Stubbs defo had his faults but I do think some on here were far to critical of him given the runs we had in the cups and injuries to key players.

Totally agree.

Big_Franck
03-08-2016, 12:27 PM
It'll be interesting to see how many options we have from the bench for our first game. We're at least 3 players short IMO and had hoped we'd have seen a few bodies in by now. IMO we still need a keeper, better fullbacks, a left winger, an attacking, creative midfielder that gets a decent amount of goals and another striker. If we only get one or two players in we'll have a real battle to win the league.

number9dream
03-08-2016, 12:31 PM
Hopefully the keeper business will be done shortly. The negotiations for Henderson could drag on since there will be a decent fee required and surely a few other clubs sniffing about IF Henderson wants to leave Celtic.
Another striker is a must to support the three we have and maybe a wide speedster if Lennon decides Boyle, Harris & Carmichael aren't quite up to it.
I'm sure there will be another 3-4 in before the end of August.

Season ticket sales are up, not sure how HSL is faring, but there is no parachute cash from SPFL and we will be facing a hefty penalty for the cup final aftermath - most likely a fine and a suspended sentence in the tournament. Maybe Rod needs to sell a few more of those cup final wigs before releasing the purse strings...

SeanWilson
03-08-2016, 12:35 PM
It'll be interesting to see how many options we have from the bench for our first game. We're at least 3 players short IMO and had hoped we'd have seen a few bodies in by now. IMO we still need a keeper, better fullbacks, natural wide players on both sides and another striker. If we only get one or two players in we'll have a real battle to win the league.

8 players? Nah.

In an ideal world i think we need:

to establish our no.1
Have utility cover for Gray (preferably someone who can also play at LB)
Another left sided midfielder with a bit of pace
A goal scorer

Big_Franck
03-08-2016, 12:39 PM
8 players? Nah.

In an ideal world i think we need:

to establish our no.1
Have utility cover for Gray (preferably someone who can also play at LB)
Another left sided midfielder with a bit of pace
A goal scorer

8? It would have been 6, no? I had forgotten about Boyle so I changed it to just a left sided player. I'd also like to add Henderson, or someone similar preferably who is also capable of scoring a decent number of goals.

If we only get two or three more players we might end up winning the league but it'll go to the wire IMO.

Finn2015
03-08-2016, 01:17 PM

Ggtth

So do I. I honestly don't think there was much between us and the Huns as evidenced in the head to heads

Andy74
03-08-2016, 01:41 PM
So do I. I honestly don't think there was much between us and the Huns as evidenced in the head to heads

Well there was in the league so it tells you that we had a team to play well in certain situations but not always suited to playing the teams that sit in.

Most seem to think just a new manager and tactics will sort that out - I'm not so sure, Rangers also had players that were capable of attacking teams at pace - the amount of penalties for example that Rangers and Hearts before them go tells you that too.

Brightside
03-08-2016, 02:06 PM
Well there was in the league so it tells you that we had a team to play well in certain situations but not always suited to playing the teams that sit in.

Most seem to think just a new manager and tactics will sort that out - I'm not so sure, Rangers also had players that were capable of attacking teams at pace - the amount of penalties for example that Rangers and Hearts before them go tells you that too.

i don't see anyone saying that...just plenty people who aren't concerned about signing having not 100% happened yet.

Andy74
03-08-2016, 02:17 PM
i don't see anyone saying that...just plenty people who aren't concerned about signing having not 100% happened yet.

There are a number of posts on this thread saying it is Lennon and a change of tactics that will make the difference - some that it already has.

J-C
03-08-2016, 02:24 PM
It'll be interesting to see how many options we have from the bench for our first game. We're at least 3 players short IMO and had hoped we'd have seen a few bodies in by now. IMO we still need a keeper, better fullbacks, a left winger, an attacking, creative midfielder that gets a decent amount of goals and another striker. If we only get one or two players in we'll have a real battle to win the league.

Keeper is here,

Better fullbacks :confused: you mean better than a cup winning captain and our most consistent left back since Murphy.

Left winger, we have Boyle, Carmichael and Harris who can all play on the left, Pawlett has been mentioned.

Attacking/creative midfielder, you mean Henderson/McGeough. Once you play with wide men these 2 will become more attack minded.

Striker is only needed as back up so really no real rush to get one in, I'm pretty sure we can manage with the 3 we have already.

number9dream
03-08-2016, 02:28 PM

Big issue for us... Holt might allow us to get the ball up top a bit quicker with the odd long ball but we need to get in behind teams out wide and we need midfield runners going beyond the strikers to really stretch the opposition. McGinn, McGeouch, Bartley & Fyvie are all good players but they are all a bit similar and don't appear in the other team's box very often, while the more attack-minded likes of Boyle, Stanton, Carmichael & Harris are yet to convince they are worthy of a regular place.
It seems an odd thing to say but Stubbs maybe relied on his best 11 players too often, which slowed us down a bit. Does that make any sense?

J-C
03-08-2016, 02:34 PM
There are a number of posts on this thread saying it is Lennon and a change of tactics that will make the difference - some that it already has.

It has Andy, the squad last season was stifled due to the tactics being used, for all the good Stubbs did his stubbornness to change tactics, drop off form players and use the squad ultimately lost us our chance to get promotion. Forget any penalties we should've had we still lost goals and games needlessly and that 5-6 period from February did it. Stubbs anted possession football, slow laboured and trying to pass the ball into the net, this worked when teams came at us but not against 10 men defences and Stubbs failure to see that cost us. Some players were playing on empty near the end of the season due to him not rotating and giving players rests, Lennon will use the full squad.

Lennon has already got us playing with width, pace and an intensity when we don't have the ball by chasing players down, we're stretching teams wider and getting more goals from more players in the team.

Waxy
03-08-2016, 02:38 PM
Need a goalie.Be delighted if we got Henderson but we'd manage if we didnt get him, Brondby proved that.Another striker for more options and back up.Thats all.

Smartie
03-08-2016, 02:43 PM
I also think the players will be better for having had some time off. They needed a rest.

There are many reasons why players not manage what was expected of them one season but do it the next.

blackpoolhibs
03-08-2016, 02:44 PM
I think the change in tactics and pressure on the ball quicker has already looked better, but i'm not daft enough to think we can keep it up all season with the players we currently have.

Already we've had injuries to Fyvie Gray Bartley and McGeouch. I personally don't believe Harris and Stanton will feature much if at all once we are up and running and new players come in.

I agree with Andy that we do need more players, but with Martin and Crane looking like they will make the step up this season, we just need a couple more maybe 3 in, definitely a wide man and another forward and to be honest i think we are good to go.

We have the best squad in this league, and a manager who won't want to lose any game and i think will instill that into the players much better than Stubbs could.

Marco G
03-08-2016, 02:45 PM
Lennon has already said he feels the squad is a bit thin and that he needs to know why we went through that bad patch. I think he can suss things out very well and will be more flexible in the systems he uses depending on the type of opposition. So I do expect more signings but am happy to wait for the right ones.

Big_Franck
03-08-2016, 02:49 PM
Keeper is here,

Better fullbacks :confused: you mean better than a cup winning captain and our most consistent left back since Murphy.

Left winger, we have Boyle, Carmichael and Harris who can all play on the left, Pawlett has been mentioned.

Attacking/creative midfielder, you mean Henderson/McGeough. Once you play with wide men these 2 will become more attack minded.

Striker is only needed as back up so really no real rush to get one in, I'm pretty sure we can manage with the 3 we have already.

Yes, that's who I mean. He is now a Hibs legend but for a lot of last season Gray was poor IMO. He should start the season as our first choice right back but we need someone ready and able to come in to replace him should his form dip again. No room for sentiment in football. As far as Stevenson goes the discussion on his value to the team has been done to death on here. If we are going to play with two natural wide midfielders I'd be happier to have Gray and Stevenson at full back. If we are to play a narrow midfield again I will quickly tire of watching Stevenson and Gray overlap and constantly batter crossed balls off the nearest opponent again.

I'd not be happy with any of the options you mention playing left midfield for us. Jury is still out on whether Harris and Carmichael are good enough in their favoured positions, never mind on the left.

We need goalscoring midfielders and wide players, it's been our biggest weakness in the last two seasons. Hearts and Rangers have had it, we haven't.

I also disagree that we can manage with the 3 strikers we have. If any of them get injured or suspended we'll struggle.

J-C
03-08-2016, 02:56 PM
Yes, that's who I mean. He is now a Hibs legend but for a lot of last season Gray was poor IMO. He should start the season as our first choice right back but we need someone ready and able to come in to replace him should his form dip again. No room for sentiment in football. As far as Stevenson goes the discussion on his value to the team has been done to death on here. If we are going to play with two natural wide midfielders I'd be happier to have Gray and Stevenson at full back. If we are to play a narrow midfield again I will quickly tire of watching Stevenson and Gray overlap and constantly batter crossed balls off the nearest opponent again.

I'd not be happy with any of the options you mention playing left midfield for us. Jury is still out on whether Harris and Carmichael are good enough in their favoured positions, never mind on the left.

We need goalscoring midfielders and wide players, it's been our biggest weakness in the last two seasons. Hearts and Rangers have had it, we haven't.

I also disagree that we can manage with the 3 strikers we have. If any of them get injured or suspended we'll struggle.

Read what I said, we need a striker only as back up until then the 3 we have will do us, not these 3 will do us all season.

We have goalscoring midfielders, they just need to be used properly, have you been to any games so far this season? You'll have noticed that we are playing 3 in the middle, one wide and 2 up top, very attack minded and high tempo, there will be no narrow midfield from Lennon.

Zazu62
03-08-2016, 02:58 PM
In Lennon we trust 👍🏼

Fergus52
03-08-2016, 03:01 PM

Do you honestly think that Ranger's squad was much better than ours last season? or hearts the year before that?

we easily matched both those teams, often without key players. Our new style of play will make a massive difference. 2-3 more signings in and we'll stroll the league.

greenlex
03-08-2016, 03:05 PM
One thing about Lennon. He will know how to break down teams that sit in. He did it at Celtic as both manager and player. We are a keeper a midfielder and another striker in the holt mould short.

Andy74
03-08-2016, 03:06 PM
Do you honestly think that Ranger's squad was much better than ours last season? or hearts the year before that?

we easily matched both those teams, often without key players. Our new style of play will make a massive difference. 2-3 more signings in and we'll stroll the league.

They each won the leagues by a fair distance.

This is the point I am making - we had a team/squad that of course could match them or beat them when playing against them but it was perhaps not as well suited to winning games every week in this league.

If the new manager and tactics are all that is needed to address that then great but I have my doubts, I don't think we have players with the pace and creativity in those wide areas to get in behind or run at teams in those positions which have proven to work for Hearts and Rangers.

Baw187
03-08-2016, 03:49 PM
They each won the leagues by a fair distance.

This is the point I am making - we had a team/squad that of course could match them or beat them when playing against them but it was perhaps not as well suited to winning games every week in this league.

If the new manager and tactics are all that is needed to address that then great but I have my doubts, I don't think we have players with the pace and creativity in those wide areas to get in behind or run at teams in those positions which have proven to work for Hearts and Rangers.

I'd like to see your work productivity stats!!

Being realistic, we need a keeper and a few in to make sure we're covered for injuries, but if we were to miraculously keep injury free, we'd be good with what we have. Maybe a speedy winger would add to our armoury, but I've already seen more runs from midfield in pre season under Lennon than I seen in all of Stubb's reign. We also move the ball forward much quicker which will help to spring defences.

It's all gravy.

Andy74
03-08-2016, 04:11 PM
I'd like to see your work productivity stats!!

Being realistic, we need a keeper and a few in to make sure we're covered for injuries, but if we were to miraculously keep injury free, we'd be good with what we have. Maybe a speedy winger would add to our armoury, but I've already seen more runs from midfield in pre season under Lennon than I seen in all of Stubb's reign. We also move the ball forward much quicker which will help to spring defences.

It's all gravy.

Work?! I've got folk to do that sort of thing :greengrin

AlbertK86
03-08-2016, 04:23 PM
Yes, that's who I mean. He is now a Hibs legend but for a lot of last season Gray was poor IMO. He should start the season as our first choice right back but we need someone ready and able to come in to replace him should his form dip again. No room for sentiment in football. As far as Stevenson goes the discussion on his value to the team has been done to death on here. If we are going to play with two natural wide midfielders I'd be happier to have Gray and Stevenson at full back. If we are to play a narrow midfield again I will quickly tire of watching Stevenson and Gray overlap and constantly batter crossed balls off the nearest opponent again. I'd not be happy with any of the options you mention playing left midfield for us. Jury is still out on whether Harris and Carmichael are good enough in their favoured positions, never mind on the left. We need goalscoring midfielders and wide players, it's been our biggest weakness in the last two seasons. Hearts and Rangers have had it, we haven't. I also disagree that we can manage with the 3 strikers we have. If any of them get injured or suspended we'll struggle.

What's the thoughts on Crane playing wide left midfield/wing.

Looks very good going forward and led to believe he occasionally played there for the devolpment team to good effect

neil7908
03-08-2016, 04:34 PM
A signing, an actual signing! Now we have something real to talk about!

Speedway
03-08-2016, 04:35 PM

Right, who else are we bringing in and when?

Finn2015
03-08-2016, 05:14 PM

Now we have, I've gone all shy and don't know what to say 😂

snooky
03-08-2016, 05:21 PM
Do you honestly think that Ranger's squad was much better than ours last season? .....

You are overlooking the "free gratis penalty per game" factor which we have never been eligible for.

Callum7
03-08-2016, 05:26 PM
JC posted this on Instagram. Sorry if posted elsewhere already.

http://i66.tinypic.com/2j3ocom.jpg

hibs0666
03-08-2016, 05:33 PM

Got their seatbelts on. Good lads.

vercol36
03-08-2016, 05:39 PM

Excellent. It's on!

Though I still can't understand this thing with tying the drawstrings of your hoody.

hibs0666
03-08-2016, 05:51 PM
Excellent. It's on!

Though I still can't understand this thing with tying the drawstrings of your hoody.

I just don't think you understand.

AlbertK86
03-08-2016, 05:52 PM
So not in the squad for CL qualifier tonight 😜👍

greenlex
03-08-2016, 05:53 PM
Excellent. It's on!

Either that or Cummings is away to Celtic.

Blaster
03-08-2016, 06:30 PM
We are interested in Stephen mallan from st mirren according to Brian McLaughlin on the bbc live link for the Celtic game

Callum_62
03-08-2016, 06:33 PM
We are interested in Stephen mallan from st mirren according to Brian McLaughlin on the bbc live link for the Celtic game

He knows how to strike a ba'

snooky
03-08-2016, 06:56 PM

"Okay, Jason you can drive on the straight bits of road but I'll take the corners."

Mon_the_cabbage
03-08-2016, 07:10 PM

Two young lads supplement their wages with a part time job for JustEat.com

Cummings does the driving, Henderson to deliverrrrrrrr!!!!!

southsider
03-08-2016, 07:13 PM
Brilliant

southsider
03-08-2016, 07:15 PM
Roberts does hammy. O F F ski

BlackSheep
03-08-2016, 07:16 PM

Pic already gone from his account.... Suspicious..... 😀👍🏻🇳🇬

Joe6-2
03-08-2016, 07:36 PM
"Okay, Jason you can drive on the straight bits of road but I'll take the corners."

Ha ha ha ha, nice one😉

Callum7
03-08-2016, 07:38 PM
Pic already gone from his account.... Suspicious..... ����������

No, it's still on his account.

Callum_62
03-08-2016, 07:39 PM
Doesnt mean anything about him signing for us

Keyser Sauzee
03-08-2016, 07:41 PM
Doesnt mean anything about him signing for us

Exactly, right now it's just a couple of mates going to a football match together. Hope it happens tho.

Onceinawhile
03-08-2016, 07:41 PM
Two young lads supplement their wages with a part time job for JustEat.com

Cummings does the driving, Henderson to deliverrrrrrrr!!!!!

Top work.

Bravo.

BlackSheep
03-08-2016, 08:18 PM
No, it's still on his account.

Strange I don't see it..... His last post is of his birthday at tgi fridays

Callum7
03-08-2016, 08:23 PM
Strange I don't see it..... His last post is of his birthday at tgi fridays

If this makes any sense...

In the new instagram update you can put 'memories' on your story that stay up for 24 hours. You can only access these memories from the home screen, if you scroll along the people at the top of the home screen you can find JC post (only if you follow him though).

Finn2015
03-08-2016, 08:53 PM
I'm getting aw excited again. Easily teased so i am

BlackSheep
03-08-2016, 09:25 PM
If this makes any sense...

In the new instagram update you can put 'memories' on your story that stay up for 24 hours. You can only access these memories from the home screen, if you scroll along the people at the top of the home screen you can find JC post (only if you follow him though).

I see, I see said the blind man... I hadn't looked into the new features yet so didn't think to click his profile pic and see the memory.... Nice spot!

Big_Franck
04-08-2016, 08:32 AM
Read what I said, we need a striker only as back up until then the 3 we have will do us, not these 3 will do us all season.

We have goalscoring midfielders, they just need to be used properly, have you been to any games so far this season? You'll have noticed that we are playing 3 in the middle, one wide and 2 up top, very attack minded and high tempo, there will be no narrow midfield from Lennon.

I disagree. Which midfielders are you referring to? Last season Bartley and McGeough didn't score a single goal between them. Fyvie scored 2 and McGinn scored 3.

I had the same discussion here last summer and the summer before. We just don't have midfielders that chip in with enough goals IMO. Relying on midfielders who have never regularly scored in their careers, as we did last summer, to suddenly start to get 8-10 a season is a big ask. If you want to win a league you need players other than strikers to chip in with a decent amount of goals. Someone like Stevie Mallan is exactly what we need.

Skyegreen
04-08-2016, 08:43 AM
Two days to the new season. We've lost Hendo & Stokes. We've signed Holt and a goalie on loan.

We finished third last term!

Just putting that out there!

Why haven't we brought in three or four decent new signings before now? Questions need to be asked.

The Green Goblin
04-08-2016, 08:47 AM
Two days to the new season. We've lost Hendo & Stokes. We've signed Holt and a goalie on loan.

Why haven't we brought in three or four decent new signings before now? Questions need to be asked.

"Two days to the new season". Deary me...

The transfer window closes on........? August 31st. How many days does that give NL?

Blaster
04-08-2016, 08:52 AM

We could just sign journeymen if that makes you happy

I'll take quality even if it takes longer

Hibbyradge
04-08-2016, 08:53 AM

Ask away.

Skyegreen
04-08-2016, 08:55 AM
The window "slams shut" on August 31st. Just putting that out there.

Can't say I'm happy with that. Our season started against Brondby a couple of weeks back!

The new league season starts Saturday. We're should have done our business by now in my opinion. Massive season coming up for us, no excuses, we need to win this league this time!

NL too busy playing pundit and Hibs penny pinching is my guess as to why we seem to be no stronger than we were last season!

Resting on our laurels comes to mind.

Blaster
04-08-2016, 08:56 AM
Can't say I'm happy with that. Our season started against Brondby a couple of weeks back!

The new league season starts Saturday. We're should have done our business by now in my opinion. Massive season coming up for us, no excuses, we need to win this league this time!

NL too busy playing pundit and Hibs penny pinching is my guess as to why we seem to be no stronger than we were last season!

Other clubs are not necessarily keen to let players go until they know who they are getting in. Keep calm mate

Ronniekirk
04-08-2016, 08:57 AM

Lennon has said we will bringin three players and with the loan goalkeeper in ,we are trying to get the otherdeals done
Both Leeann and Lennon have said we will be patient to get the right players in . So thats where we are and with our form going into the Falkirk game and with all our key players fit weare more than capable of winning
Would rather of had an easier firt game but think Lennon will relish this game and he will learn more about the team having this difficult game first
He will have them up for it imo so dont expect sluggish start

hughio
04-08-2016, 08:58 AM
The situation is this: the negotiation process means that it all happens at the last minute if its going to happen at all.Agents have a duty to try and offset offers against other potential suitors and that will take most worthwhile deals down to the wire.
Or am I wrong?

BoomtownHibees
04-08-2016, 09:01 AM
They were talking on the radio last night that if Celtc got through the tie then they would look to offload some of their players to allow them to bring in better.

Hopefully that means Hendo and Commons

GloryGlory
We could just sign journeymen if that makes you happy

I'll take quality even if it takes longer

We could do a Kilmarnock and sign a whole team on one day, most of whom no-one's ever heard of. :greengrin

They've got off to a really great start, haven't they?

Hibbyradge

You're either trolling or you have no grasp of how the transfer market works.

Do you think that all the clubs around Europe who do business after their seasons start, are penny pinching?

Or just Hibs?

Borderhibbie76
04-08-2016, 09:02 AM

I agree it's been a bit frustrating in terms on new signings however u r a wee bit OTT here...we have a great squad in place to start the season and there will be further additions before end of month....calm doon mate be patient

JeMeSouviens
04-08-2016, 09:08 AM
I disagree. Which midfielders are you referring to? Last season Bartley and McGeough didn't score a single goal between them. Fyvie scored 2 and McGinn scored 3.

I had the same discussion here last summer and the summer before. We just don't have midfielders that chip in with enough goals IMO. Relying on midfielders who have never regularly scored in their careers, as we did last summer, to suddenly start to get 8-10 a season is a big ask. If you want to win a league you need players other than strikers to chip in with a decent amount of goals. Someone like Stevie Mallan is exactly what we need.

:agree: Lack of goals apart from the strikers has been our achilles heel.

I think it's the single biggest improvement that SJM and Hendo could make to their games. They both get in enough goalscoring positions, they need to turn that into double figure returns for the season.

I'm hoping we see more from the centre halves too. Our set piece was obviously looking much healthier at the back end of last season, hopefully that will continue.

Dublin07
04-08-2016, 09:13 AM

Don't panic...........don't panic.............

How do you get through the dangers of everyday life. There is a month left of the transfer window, we are playing a much more direct style of football and had the best pre season I can ever remember. We are still short of cover for striker and could do with extra pace but our first 11 is considerably better than our rivals (they have also lost key players). Rangers are no longer in our league and Falkirk finished 1 goal ahead of us with all the luck in the world.
If we don't finish 10 points ahead of them this time I will donate £50 to a charity of your choice.

Brightside
04-08-2016, 09:14 AM

:greengrin

Baw187
04-08-2016, 09:14 AM

The same discussion has been covered umpteen times on this thread.

No doubt we're stronger simply because of Lennon. Evidenced by pre season and the fact we are far more direct. This for me was more of a factor in us underperforming last year than the quality of the players we had.

We have Scott Martin and Calum Crane who look quality enough to be in and around the first team so there's a couple of additions.

Holt is adequate replacement for Stokes in terms of what he brings to the team and the way Lennon has us playing.

Based on his video, we look like we've got a better keeper.

Despite the fact we will no doubt bring in a couple of additional quality players before the end of the month, we are more than ready for our opening game. If we lose it, it won't be because we haven't brought in a load of superstars.

Brightside
04-08-2016, 09:15 AM

hahaha NL too busy playing pundit! Yep pre season has been really poor... :aok:

Wee Effen Bee
04-08-2016, 09:17 AM

Are you trolling Skye or just a complete and utter fandanny?:greengrin 'Playing pundit...penny pinching...resting on our laurels,' all absolute guff. :agree:

hibs0666
04-08-2016, 09:22 AM

Your guess is wildly off-beam. Do you really think that Lennon conducts the transfer negotiations? What does penny pinching mean?

KSA Hibee
04-08-2016, 09:31 AM

Jeso .... There ain't half some guff written on here 🙄

Greenworld
04-08-2016, 09:40 AM
For once I'm thinking the team are fine ...playing well ...scoring...I am sure 2 players we be here soon enough ....we are strong enough to beat Falkirk with what we have now

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

147lothian
04-08-2016, 10:26 AM

Dearie me you either have no idea how the transfer market works or your at it,

Wee Effen Bee
04-08-2016, 10:33 AM
For once I'm thinking the team are fine ...playing well ...scoring...I am sure 2 players we be here soon enough ....we are strong enough to beat Falkirk with what we have now

:agree: I would go further and say the present squad could win the league. One or two more quality players would ensure it but I'm quite content to allow the season to begin before any new signings arrive,

cookin_on_gaz
04-08-2016, 10:40 AM
Jeezo, some people on here just like to moan for attention.

This has been one of the most positive pre-seasons that I can remember. Now we have what appears to be a decent keeper, I would be more than happy to start the season with the squad we have. People are also forgetting that we have tied up both Hanlon and Cummings on long-term contracts.

I have no doubt that Lennon will bring in more players, but to rush into this to make fans happy would be folly.

Keep calm and keep the heid...

Greenworld
04-08-2016, 10:53 AM
:agree: I would go further and say the present squad could win the league. One or two more quality players would ensure it but I'm quite content to allow the season to begin before any new signings arrive,
Yup and we need to ensure that happens ...that's why players will definitely come.

Skyegreen
04-08-2016, 11:07 AM
We finished third last season.

We've lost two of our best players.

I don't see how we are stronger than last season!

I'm sorry if this upsets a few of you but that's my honest opinion.
I think we have a decent side but I don't think it's good enough or strong enough to go the distance. I fear the same situation as last season.
I think we're all secretly preying that Falkirk, Utd & Dunfermline are going to be poor, I really hope that's the case!

Genuinely surprised at how confident a lot of folk are. Pre - season friendliest mean the square route of **** all for me and having watched Brondby at Easter Road, I can't say I was overly impressed with them. I think more than a few might be in for a shock once the season gets underway.

Waxy
04-08-2016, 11:14 AM

I think we have a decent side but I don't think it's good enough or strong enough to go the distance. I fear the same situation as last season.
I think we're all secretly preying that Falkirk, Utd & Dunfermline are going to be poor, I really hope that's the case!

Genuinely surprised at how confident a lot of folk are. Pre - season friendliest mean the square route of **** all for me and having watched Brondby at Easter Road, I can't say I was overly impressed with them. I think more than a few might be in for a shock once the season gets underway.Wow. Just wow.

Skyegreen
04-08-2016, 11:16 AM
Wow. Just wow.

lol. You agree then 😂😂😂

Waxy
04-08-2016, 11:25 AM
lol. You agree then 😂😂😂

You're out of sync with almost all Hibbys.
We already have a superb Squad and signing Cummings and Hanlon along with bringing Lennon as boss more than makes up for losing Stokesys on fire.
We may yet get Henderson and/or sign others.
We've been great pre season and we are still Scottish cup holders so smile mate.We're in a good place.

Hibee87
04-08-2016, 11:28 AM

Genuinely surprised at how confident a lot of folk are. Pre - season friendliest mean the square route of **** all for me and having watched Brondby at Easter Road, I can't say I was overly impressed with them. I think more than a few might be in for a shock once the season gets underway.

Who is the 2 'best players' we have lost? :confused:

I think we have a team and squad capable of winning this league as it stands. Lennon has us playing a differnet way, utilising the wingers far more than stubbs did. I would argue our season went downhill when we let Malonga go as we had no real arial presence up front, but most importantly a striker who could hold the ball up well and bring others into play. I think Holt fits into that category perfectly and wouldnt be suprised if he sets up JC with more goals than any other player.

We will no doubt add a few more wither it is today, tomorrow, next week or deadline day.

But our squad is more than capable IMO of course to win the league just now :aok:

J-C
04-08-2016, 11:31 AM

We've lost two of our best players. Stokes was a loan and was going anyway, we replaced him with an experienced ex EPL striker and if you mean Henderson he will be here soon.

I don't see how we are stronger than last season! We don't have 3-4 players out with long term injuries like the start of last season and we have a manger who is able to get us playing in a different more dynamic manner.

We have a very settled squad and all that was needed was the addition of maybe 4 players, Holt and Marciano are 2 Henderson will be another with the possibility of a striker soon too. Add into the mix Mallan from St Mirren if the stories can be believed, then we'll have one of the best squads outside the OF.

You do realise that the team that started the Cup final, only Stokes and Logan have left and have been replaced, I'd say that's a decent team to start the season with.

Skyegreen
04-08-2016, 11:32 AM
You're out of sync with almost all Hibbys.
We already have a superb Squad and signing Cummings and Hanlon along with bringing Lennon as boss more than makes up for losing Stokesys on fire.
We may yet get Henderson and/or sign others.
We've been great pre season and we are still Scottish cup holders so smile mate.We're in a good place.

I don't care about being in "sync" with my fellow supporters. I've been around the block enough times to know that most of them are terrified to say what they actually think on this forum for fear of ridicule.

I don't think anything I've said is to far off the truth tbh. I genuinely fear we are in for a long hard season. At this moment, I don't think we're any stronger than we were last season.

Baw187
04-08-2016, 11:32 AM

This is a hugely pessimistic way of addressing the situation. For balance, maybe some of us are being overly optimistic but Rangers aside, we were pipped on goal difference last year following s 2 month capitulation.

We weren't miles away last season and I don't believe we are hugely weakened from the loss of Stokes and Hendo. Decent players but Holt and Martin are adequate replacements at this stage and we still have a month to bolster the squad further!

Can't understand how you can take such a gloomy view given the performance improvements we've seen already from Lennon.

Hibby Kay-Yay
04-08-2016, 11:38 AM
I don't care about being in "sync" with my fellow supporters. I've been around the block enough times to know that most of them are terrified to say what they actually think on this forum for fear of ridicule.

I don't think anything I've said is to far off the truth tbh. I genuinely fear we are in for a long hard season. At this moment, I don't think we're any stronger than we were last season.

:blah::clown:

Waxy
04-08-2016, 11:39 AM

I don't think anything I've said is to far off the truth tbh. I genuinely fear we are in for a long hard season. At this moment, I don't think we're any stronger than we were last season.Well lets just see where we are around November. I've a feeling you'll be able to spend the rest of the season without wearing your pampers.

Billychaotic182
04-08-2016, 11:43 AM

Lost our two best players? Other than a cracking cup final Stokes was average at best. Keatings would have done just as much in them games if he played in stokes place. As for Henderson, well I still think he will be back.

We lost:
Farid - barley played anyway so no lose plus Holt is an improvement
Dagnall - again didn't do anything so no lose.
Thomson - Martin will replace him.
Logan - we just signed his replacement.
Oxley - Laidlaw will do just as well as he did.

We now have the likes of Harris, Stanton, Carmichael, Handling, Crane Insall and Dunsmore all in to stake a claim in the team.

And before you write Harris Stanton and Insall off. All three did well on loan and deserve a chance to prove people wrong and have all done well preseason!

Skyegreen
04-08-2016, 11:43 AM
Well lets just see where we are around November. I've a feeling you'll be able to spend the rest of the season without wearing your pampers.

You've a feeling eh? 👌🏿 No real substance as to why, just a feeling! 🙄

Skyegreen
04-08-2016, 11:47 AM
Lost our two best players? Other than a cracking cup final Stokes was average at best. Keatings would have done just as much in them games if he played in stokes place. As for Henderson, well I still think he will be back.

We lost:
Farid - barley played anyway so no lose plus Holt is an improvement
Dagnall - again didn't do anything so no lose.
Thomson - Martin will replace him.
Logan - we just signed his replacement.
Oxley - Laidlaw will do just as well as he did.

We now have the likes of Harris, Stanton, Carmichael, Handling, Crane Insall and Dunsmore all in to stake a claim in the team.

And before you write Harris Stanton and Insall off. All three did well on loan and deserve a chance to prove people wrong and have all done well preseason!

Good reply mate, I really hope your right regards Harris and especially Stanton who I have high hopes for. Harris always had pace, my only hope now is that he can use that to hurt teams 👍

Baw187
04-08-2016, 11:47 AM
You've a feeling eh? [emoji1533] No real substance as to why, just a feeling! [emoji849]

I've personally outline plenty substantial reasons why I think your slavering.

HoboHarry
04-08-2016, 11:48 AM
Has SJM reappeared under a new name?

Waxy
04-08-2016, 11:49 AM
Well no one knows exactly what will happen in the future do they? Not even you.

Skyegreen
04-08-2016, 11:56 AM
I've personally outline plenty substantial reasons why I think your slavering.

You seem to think that Holt & Martin are adequate replacements for Stokes & Hendo.

And you say I'm a slaver! 😂😂😂

Baw187
04-08-2016, 12:01 PM
You seem to think that Holt & Martin are adequate replacements for Stokes & Hendo.

And you say I'm a slaver! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Behave! Stokes was largely average aside from the last few games of the season and the final! Holt is a different type of player but is probably more what we need.

Hendo was obviously decent and putting aside the fact he'll probably return, Martin is a great wee player. Hendo wasn't even played every game he was fit and was used more sparingly than Mcginn, Fyvie and McGeough when fit! He didn't even start the cup final where your best team should be playing so what does that tell you!

How many games do you watch??[emoji848]

Billychaotic182
04-08-2016, 12:11 PM
Good reply mate, I really hope your right regards Harris and especially Stanton who I have high hopes for. Harris always had pace, my only hope now is that he can use that to hurt teams 👍

If the rumours are true we will be swapping Stanton for Mallan from St Mirren who is cracking a setplays so again would be an improvement, if him honest I can't see hibs pulling this one off

Sioux
04-08-2016, 12:13 PM

And you say I'm a slaver! 😂😂😂

You seem to think that Hibs have collectively worse players than other teams in our league (your long hard season and worse than last season stuff). You also seem to suggest that we are incapable of overturning a season of results that saw us behind Falkirk on goal difference. On the basis that the huns were out on their own at the top, and the favoured 'challengers' this season are Falkirk and
D Utd, it doesn't take a genius to work out that we'll certainly be closer to winning than last year, unless of course you are suggesting that some other team in this League can do what Rangers did last season.

Maybe the accusation of slaver has some merit.

On another point, if we were playing in the top division this season, do you think we'd get relegated?

Big L
04-08-2016, 12:14 PM
Stubbs was to soft with the players, I sense a different mentality under Lennon, I don't think we will be dropping many stupid points and we certainly won't go thru the **** we went thru last year when we had that bad spell. I think the soft touch rep has really gone!

aussie_hibee
04-08-2016, 12:16 PM
:blah::clown:

My thoughts exactly.

Tobias Funke
04-08-2016, 12:16 PM
Has SJM reappeared under a new name?

Wouldn't surprise me if Slavering Jobby Mouth has returned under a new guise. Guy can't help himself.

Thecat23
04-08-2016, 12:17 PM

You can't say we won't do well either can you? Until it kicks off then we will see what's what!

For the record the squad we have just now should win this league and we will be adding to it.

Thecat23
04-08-2016, 12:18 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if Slavering Jobby Mouth has returned under a new guise. Guy can't help himself.

Is he still on here?

Dashing Bob S
04-08-2016, 12:22 PM
Looks like Falkirk (a) is really the first in the Happy Clappers v Bedwetters series.

KSA Hibee
04-08-2016, 12:45 PM
Not sure if I slipped into a coma for ALL of August and missed the transfer window "slamming shut"😳

By the looks of some of the posts in here August has finished and their nice dry beds need wetting ... I wish some folks on here would just give our new manager, who has been in the job less time than I have food in the fridge, time to get the team playing his way and not the easy to frustrate team of last season.

Skyegreen
04-08-2016, 12:52 PM
It looks like nobody is worried at all regards the season ahead or is it that the ones that are just cant be arsed with the happy clappers shooting them down I wonder.

Oh well, everyone has opinions! We'll just need to wait and see what the season brings. 😁

KeithTheHibby
04-08-2016, 12:53 PM

**** Dunfermline!! I don't get this optimism about how well they are going to do this season! If it had been Stranraer who had won that league last season then we would all be talking about how that's 12 points in the bag.
Dunfermline are *****, end of.

Phil MaGlass
04-08-2016, 12:58 PM

I think with Neil Lennon at the helm there will be no slacking and I also think the players know that it has to happen this year, Lennon will not let them ease up during a game, surely you have seen that already in the pre season and Euro games, I hope I am right but I think we will sail this league and win by more than 10 points.

Keyser Sauzee
04-08-2016, 01:30 PM
It looks like nobody is worried at all regards the season ahead or is it that the ones that are just cant be arsed with the happy clappers shooting them down I wonder.

Oh well, everyone has opinions! We'll just need to wait and see what the season brings. ��

Can you answer this question for me please:

Can you pick 18 players from our current squad good enough to beat Falkirk away, Dunfermline at home, St Mirren away and Morton at home? If, like almost every other fan on here, you can then your "concern" is quite frankly embarrassing.

NAE NOOKIE
04-08-2016, 01:35 PM

Falkirk have lost two players who were a lot more vital to them than Stokes and Hendo ( given the strength of our midfield ) were to us. Dundee Utd have practically had to rebuild almost from scratch .... Can you seriously see either club winning more games than Hibs, even with the squad we currently have? ..... never mind any more we bring in ....... If its about 'ability to go the distance' I know where my money would be at this moment in time.

No you cant read too much into pre season friendlies ..... but they are a decent barometer of form and attitude. We brushed Motherwell aside as if they were a Lowland league team. We more than matched and at times outplayed an English Championship club with what was practically a reserve team, a game in which Crane, Martin and Carmichael all showed up very well indeed, not to mention the team as a whole. We went away to Shrewsbury, a team from a league which if you believe some on here is on a par with the Scottish Premiership, and humped them 4 - 1 .... and they were a week away from kick off just like us.

As for Brondby .. no they weren't Real Madrid ..... but they were every bit as good, if not better, than anything we will face in this league. They walked away from Hertha Berlin with a 1 - 0 defeat last week, a result that if it had been Hibs would have guaranteed us a 20,000 sell out in the 2nd leg.

Its a marathon, not a sprint, and even if things weren't to go our way this Saturday I would still be confident that Hibs are well capable of rising to the top in the long run.

snooky
04-08-2016, 01:48 PM
Pity the guy is getting such a hard time for expressing his opinion.

hibee_nation
04-08-2016, 01:54 PM

Well you have no fear of being ridiculed that is obvious, think you enjoy the attention :doh: