PDA

View Full Version : David Murphy

maturehibby
24-07-2016, 08:45 PM
Great to see one of the finest Left Backs I have ever seen at ER back today and presented to the crowd at Half time .
Son said to me" thats one player who wont have forgotten him" and yes it was Alan Combe who played against him when we beat Killie 5-1 in CIS Cup Final

greenlex
24-07-2016, 09:02 PM
Pulled out one of the correct tickets at half time too.👍😎

24-07-2016, 09:13 PM
A brilliant player for us and part of a cup winning team :thumbsup: Always welcome back at Easter Road.

hibsbollah
24-07-2016, 09:15 PM
Best first touch since Zico. Should really have been in the Brazil 82 side in place of Josimar.

bod
24-07-2016, 09:15 PM
Pulled out one of the correct tickets at half time too.

anyone know where you can find the numbers ? missed them being yelled out

greenlex
24-07-2016, 09:24 PM
anyone know where you can find the numbers ? missed them being yelled out

Should be on the website in due course but you didn't win the Ba'

.Sean.
24-07-2016, 09:28 PM
Why was this no advertised? I'd have made an appearance purely to see him. What did he say?

No exaggeration, the only player I never seen have one poor game.

GreenNWhiteArmy
24-07-2016, 09:31 PM
Why was this no advertised? I'd have made an appearance purely to see him. What did he say?

His first touch. That left peg. What a player he was for us

Ergye
24-07-2016, 09:42 PM

Paolo Maldini has a David Murphy tattoo on his left calf.

My_Wife_Camille
24-07-2016, 09:46 PM
I remember a game where about 30 seconds in, Steven Whittaker had the ball and was closed down so he hoofed the ball across the park for Murphy towards the old East who has to turn and sprint after it. Anyway, the ball came down with snow on it, at pace and from over his shoulder and he stretched out a leg for it, caught it but just not quite right and it bounced out for a throw and the whole of Easter Road was stunned into silence.

Fair enough, maybe it's not the most interesting story but it sticks in my mind because the guy was that good that even when he failed to control a ball that nobody else on earth could have controlled, people were still shocked by it! Best first touch I've ever seen from a Hibs player.

A class player and a class guy:not worth

Edson Arantes
24-07-2016, 09:48 PM
Paolo Maldini has a David Murphy tattoo on his left calf.

Tattoos :confused:

:wink:

NORTHERNHIBBY
24-07-2016, 09:54 PM
A truly great player and real quality and although we got him on a free and he went for seven figures my abiding memory is that he really understood what it meant to pull on that shirt. Best player I have seen in that position.

Sir David Gray
24-07-2016, 10:55 PM

I don't think he really said anything. He came out onto the pitch at half time, waved to both sets of supporters, pulled out the Happy Hibee numbers and then left.

However even if he had said something, I probably wouldn't have known what it was, considering the shocking PA system we have in east stand.

Mibbes Aye
24-07-2016, 11:07 PM
Lovely player to watch, he just made it look effortless.

As much as I love Lewis, for me DM was MOTM in the 2007 final. He anchored things and everything started through him. There were a few heroes on the pitch that day though.

Hi Heid Yin
24-07-2016, 11:14 PM
I witnessed Erich Schaedler at his best and considered him unequalled, until David Murphy came along and matched him. They each had their own unique style and oozed class.
Both are legends in my eyes.

Bishop Hibee
24-07-2016, 11:16 PM
Brilliant player. Some great performances and great goals for the cabbage. Cup winning great.

DickieDastardly
24-07-2016, 11:48 PM
One of my favourite players too. Over and above his football ability he is also one of the few players who never made a meal of a foul or feigned injury, he would simply get up dust himself down and get on with it - I think our present captain has the same qualities.

However does anyone remember his debut in the crappy festival cup at the PBS? I don't think he'd played for months due to injury, was over weight and miles off the pace - luckily Mowbray knew there was a player in there...

Craig_HFC
25-07-2016, 08:49 AM
What a man. Best first touch of any player I've seen play for Hibs.

I said it when he played for us and I still believe it to this day: if he had a bit more pace then he'd have been playing for a very good Premier League side and he'd have been capped by England numerous times.

jdships
25-07-2016, 09:04 AM
A much better player than the majority of the Media gave him credit for !!!
:hibees

Michael
25-07-2016, 11:15 AM
Best left back in my lifetime for Hibs.

heretoday
25-07-2016, 11:27 AM
Good left backs are always great to watch. That curly foot.

Murphy was an excellent player for Hibs. I thought that team in 2007 was the last classy side I'd see at ER.

Now I'm not so sure.

Hiber-nation
25-07-2016, 11:47 AM

Me too and I'm 58!

snooky
25-07-2016, 03:15 PM
One thing that made me a little uneasy about Murphy is that I never knew what his second touch was like.

RickyS
25-07-2016, 04:21 PM
Best first touch since Zico. Should really have been in the Brazil 82 side in place of Josimar.

spot on, ive never seen anyone with a better first touch, defo one of my players

Drumlanrig
25-07-2016, 04:33 PM
I would put Schaedler up there with him.

bod
25-07-2016, 05:03 PM
Should be on the website in due course but you didn't win the Ba'

good job i'm no desperate for the money then,who knows when they'll get round to that