PDA

View Full Version : New York red bulls

nairn hibee
24-07-2016, 08:41 PM
Going to New York in October ,and was thinking about going to red bulls v Columbus Crew ,anyone been to a red bulls game ,or should I go to baseball or ice hockey,though don't know if I could sit through a baseball game,never been to America before so any advice appreciated

GISALEGEND
24-07-2016, 09:33 PM
Going to New York in October ,and was thinking about going to red bulls v Columbus Crew ,anyone been to a red bulls game ,or should I go to baseball or ice hockey,though don't know if I could sit through a baseball game,never been to America before so any advice appreciated

Never been to the US, but watched plenty MLS Games, decent enough standard to watch but I'd rather watch that than baseball or ice hockey, they won in the NYC Derby 4-1 tonight too so not too bad I'd say.

nairn hibee
24-07-2016, 09:45 PM
Never been to the US, but watched plenty MLS Games, decent enough standard to watch but I'd rather watch that than baseball or ice hockey, they won in the NYC Derby 4-1 tonight too so not too bad I'd say.
The ground holds 25000 ,thought it would be bigger ,think your right tho,better with the football,1900 tickets still for sale

Skyegreen
24-07-2016, 09:46 PM

Never been to a soccer match over there but I have been to Yankee Stadium to watch the derby between the Yankees and the Metz. Great experience and one hell of a stadium. It was a big game of rounders as far as I was concerned but I didn't half enjoy my beer & dog way up high in the beechers!

Yankee Stadium is in the Bronx btw! Not a place you want to be hanging around in or getting lost at night! 👍

nairn hibee
24-07-2016, 09:55 PM
Never been to a soccer match over there but I have been to Yankee Stadium to watch the derby between the Yankees and the Metz. Great experience and one hell of a stadium. It was a big game of rounders as far as I was concerned but I didn't half enjoy my beer & dog way up high in the beechers!

Yankee Stadium is in the Bronx btw! Not a place you want to be hanging around in or getting lost at night! 
Thanks for that,it's the thought of rounders that puts me off but the experience would be good,would fancy a look at the bronx

dmc1875
24-07-2016, 10:01 PM
NFL is also on at that time the MetLife stadium is amazing and the two New York teams, the Jets and the Giants both play there might be worth a shot. Atmosphere is amazing. Jets are green and white so soft spot for them right there

Walter
24-07-2016, 10:02 PM

I was there last year and was determined to take in some sport so got tickets to the ice hockey, the New York Rangers vs Toronto Maple Leafs at MSG, it was brilliant, marred only by having to Listen to chants of 'let's go Rangers!''

But I am now a NYR fan for life, great experience thoroughly recommended

nairn hibee
24-07-2016, 10:19 PM
NFL is also on at that time the MetLife stadium is amazing and the two New York teams, the Jets and the Giants both play there might be worth a shot. Atmosphere is amazing. Jets are green and white so soft spot for them right there
Seems to be a lot of choices,hadn't thought about nfl

nairn hibee
24-07-2016, 10:22 PM
I was there last year and was determined to take in some sport so got tickets to the ice hockey, the New York Rangers vs Toronto Maple Leafs at MSG, it was brilliant, marred only by having to Listen to chants of 'let's go Rangers!''

But I am now a NYR fan for life, great experience thoroughly recommended
Quite fancied ice hockey ,but think it will be the football ,my son is keen ,and my wife's not bothered will see how it goes getting tickets

Bristolhibby
24-07-2016, 10:26 PM
Is the baseball regular season not over by early October? If so you'll be struggling (Unless a New York team makes the Final).

J

Denverhibby
24-07-2016, 10:45 PM
Is the baseball regular season not over by early October? If so you'll be struggling (Unless a New York team makes the Final).

J
Baseball will be done, but NFL will be in full swing. Jets and Giants share a stadium so one or the either will be playing.its very cold come October in New York.

HoboHarry
24-07-2016, 10:58 PM
Go to an NFL game if you get the opportunity.. The standard of soccer (:wink:) is ok but the tailgating before the NFL games is something else. I once had a couple of elderly female fans in the car park next to me grilling lobster and drinking Champagne. Put my beer to shame......

JimboHibs
24-07-2016, 11:08 PM

Do as many of them as you can,I would highly recommend the Basketball at Madison Square Gardens you won't regret it,it's fantastic watching it live and they do the celeb cam etc it's a great night out.

Tamhere1875
25-07-2016, 12:14 AM
Depends when you are going in October as the baseball season in NewYork may be over as for the red bulls they play out side NYC. Got to say a visit to see the New York Jets might suit you as they play in near as dam it Hibs tops plus a visit to the gardens to see the Basketball or the hockey got to say I love going to NYC I'm lucky my son lives over there and I'm over every year so been to a few sports events loved the visit to the Yankee stadium to see the base ball Hibs should send some one over to see just how to treat the fans

Tamhere1875
25-07-2016, 12:17 AM
Baseball will be done, but NFL will be in full swing. Jets and Giants share a stadium so one or the either will be playing.its very cold come October in New York.
Was over in November it was 75deg in fact last few times Iv been over its been warm

Halifaxhibby
25-07-2016, 12:56 AM
Soccer????? The games called fitba mate!!!! Lol. I find most americans amusing for many a thing and they play a game called football yet less than 5% of the game is used with a foot!!!!! U guys crack me up!!!!!

Haymaker
25-07-2016, 01:03 AM

It will depend on who any team is playing. If it's a pony side tickets will be dirt cheap and plentiful, if not then prices rise.

Just moved down the road from NYRB stadium and it's usually easy to get them.

Also, don't go see the Jets ;)

calumhibee1
25-07-2016, 02:03 AM
Just keep in mind that the red bulls play in New Jersey. I've been to an Orlando city MLS game and they played some really good stuff so I wouldn't be put off by the fact it's MLS. I'd liken it standard wise to be like watching an English Championship team that tries to play good football. If you were looking for another sport other than football/soccer the NBA will start around then. The Knicks had a pretty good summer in the draft and should have a good team.

bubblesmorrison
25-07-2016, 02:56 AM

I would suggest going to the basketball instead Both new York teams games are very boring and have less atmosphere than a Sunday league game down the links.

IanFaeClerrie
29-07-2016, 11:41 AM
Lived there for 10 years and was there a couple of weeks ago. Been to all sports at all levels. The soccer was the most lacking in atmosphere so I'd advise if you're going on holiday then treat it like a holiday and go for the one you're only likely to see on holiday. I used to watch the Atlanta Braves every Tuesday and a couple of weeks ago I went to see the Orioles. So baseball for the experience and I would go to a high school or college football game before I'd go to NFL again.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

nellio
29-07-2016, 11:48 AM
I'm going to NYC in October as well. Got 2 tickets for New York Giants V Chicago Bears at the metlife.

I'm a huge American football fan though so It was a no brainer. Not cheap though, cheapest ticket is $125 and then there is service changes etc on the top so ended up about $140 in total!!!

I then found out that NY rangers were playing NHL at home in Madison square garden but its on the same day as the Giants game.

My advice, if you can afford it go to NFL at metlife. If not Madison square garden is one of the worlds most iconic arenas go see NY Rangers if they are playing. If you like ice hockey check the Barclays centre in Brooklyn as the Islanders play there or the Devils play in New jersey.

You can watch footie here so why not take in some American sports whilst you are there? That was my take on it.

Don't think baseball is an option in October as not sure the season starts that early as its a summer sport.

GreenLake
29-07-2016, 12:49 PM
If I was in New York it would be NYCFC I would try and get tickets for first with Pirlo, Villa and Lampard possibly playing. As well as the stars they have good team form this season and are serious contenders for the MLS Cup. I would also go to see the Red Bulls and an NBA, NHL and NFL game if I could. You can drink in sports stadiums here so you can also get a good day or night out as a twofer.

hibee-shtuggie
29-07-2016, 01:16 PM

I went to a New York Red Bulls game in 2014 - they were actually playing Columbus Crew as well!

They lost 3-1 - that was with Wright-phillips, Thiery Henry and other big names in the team.

One thing to note its the Stadium is in New Jersey - takes 20-30 mins on train/subway. Also no one in Manhattan had a clue what we were on about - it isnt that popular. The people at the game didn't even know how long a half lasts.

Great day out though - plenty of beer and food!

Haymaker
29-07-2016, 11:42 PM
If I was in New York it would be NYCFC I would try and get tickets for first with Pirlo, Villa and Lampard possibly playing. As well as the stars they have good team form this season and are serious contenders for the MLS Cup. I would also go to see the Red Bulls and an NBA, NHL and NFL game if I could. You can drink in sports stadiums here so you can also get a good day or night out as a twofer.

They got pumped the other day by NYRB (having been pumped 7-0 earlier this season - nice) with all the players mentioned involved. They never had the midfield which considering that it is Lampard and Pirlo is awful. They also play at that dump in the Bronx.

GreenLake
30-07-2016, 01:54 AM
They got pumped the other day by NYRB (having been pumped 7-0 earlier this season - nice) with all the players mentioned involved. They never had the midfield which considering that it is Lampard and Pirlo is awful. They also play at that dump in the Bronx.

Lol, you just gave me some good ammunition - my mate is a Yankee fan while strangely being from LA and supporting every LA team except for baseball.

NYCFC is still leading their conference which is a massive improvement on last season. We pumped them 5.1 but I don't see that happening this season. I'm pissed they don't play in LA this year and I can't do the away trip on August 20th because my lovely wife wants to see Adele.

Frazerbob
30-07-2016, 09:09 AM
Been to see all the US sports over the years and would rank them as follows:

1. NHL - great sport & atmosphere. Good chance of a scrap as well. Thoroughly recommend!
2. Baseball - the action isn't exactly edge of the seat stuff but the whole experience is amazing. Great atmosphere, loads going on and street parties pre-match around the stadium.
3. NBA - Surprisingly dull sport but that may have been because the Raptors ran out very easy winners so the game had no real excitement. The atmosphere was great though and the celeb spotting was fun.
4. NFL - dull as ****