PDA

View Full Version : Catering

Last Minute
24-07-2016, 06:25 PM
I know this has been brought up many times but when is something going to be done about the catering at Easter road. Today me and my friend were a bit hungry and said lets get a pie and a bovril at half time. So down we went, 2 steak pies and 1 bovril and 1 tea please. Just short of a tenner. Went to take a bite of the pie and just about broke my tooth. We took the pies back and asked for 2 replacement pies as they were brick hard. Got another 2 which were just the same brick hard and boiling hot , so much they were stuck to the foil tray. Went to complain again and got told we were not getting our money back. We asked to speak to the catering manager, after about 20 minutes which we missed part of the game down she came to say there was nothing wrong with them but on this occasion she would give us our money back. This is the last time I will ever buy anything from the catering at Easter road. It's a rip off.2 steak pies £5 when you can go to greggs and get any savoury and a coffee or tea for £2 total and they still make a profit on that. God knows how people with kids at the games afford to do this. I bet they don't serve these pies etc... Upstairs in the west. Can us fans not do something about this and boycott the catering until something is done about the quality and price. This has been a issue for sometime at Easter road but nothing gets done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Andy74
24-07-2016, 06:28 PM
Steak pies were particularly bad today.

The Godfather
24-07-2016, 06:29 PM
I know this has been brought up many times but when is something going to be done about the catering at Easter road. Today me and my friend were a bit hungry and said lets get a pie and a bovril at half time. So down we went, 2 steak pies and 1 bovril and 1 tea please. Just short of a tenner. Went to take a bite of the pie and just about broke my tooth. We took the pies back and asked for 2 replacement pies as they were brick hard. Got another 2 which were just the same brick hard and boiling hot , so much they were stuck to the foil tray. Went to complain again and got told we were not getting our money back. We asked to speak to the catering manager, after about 20 minutes which we missed part of the game down she came to say there was nothing wrong with them but on this occasion she would give us our money back. This is the last time I will ever buy anything from the catering at Easter road. It's a rip off.2 steak pies £5 when you can go to greggs and get any savoury and a coffee or tea for £2 total and they still make a profit on that. God knows how people with kids at the games afford to do this. I bet they don't serve these pies etc... Upstairs in the west. Can us fans not do something about this and boycott the catering until something is done about the quality and price. This has been a issue for sometime at Easter road but nothing gets done.

Not sure what upstairs in the West has to do with the poor catering you witnessed. Up in the West there are people who taste the food for us prior to eating, just in case it has been tainted in some way. 😂😂😂

staunchhibby
24-07-2016, 06:30 PM
Take my own pies to the footy.The ones they serve up are absolute garbage.Regularly sticking to foil and totaly overpriced.We should be calling for a boycott until this set up is resolved.

.Sean.
24-07-2016, 06:33 PM
The pies are atrocious. The pastry on the steak ones are like concrete and the curry pies fall to bits as soon as you lift them out the foil.

The 'pizzas' on the other hand :hyper

Mibbes Aye
24-07-2016, 06:35 PM
Not sure what upstairs in the West has to do with the poor catering you witnessed. Up in the West there are people who taste the food for us prior to eating, just in case it has been tainted in some way. 

What I like is they've usually been promoted from within, from the staff who ensure there's exactly the same amount of caviar on each blini. Good development work.

I know the argument about how it costs us the equivalent of wages for two top-flight players but that's just churlish IMO.

Pretty Boy
24-07-2016, 06:35 PM
Get Storries in.

The Godfather
24-07-2016, 06:43 PM
What I like is they've usually been promoted from within, from the staff who ensure there's exactly the same amount of caviar on each blini. Good development work.

I know the argument about how it costs us the equivalent of wages for two top-flight players but that's just churlish IMO.

I get annoyed when they don't wear the white gloves during dinner service. Also, sometimes they take my plate away from my right side, when it's supposed to be my left side. I blame Petire 😂

Last Minute
24-07-2016, 06:44 PM
It's about time something is done about this. Hibs keep saying they are looking into this but nothing gets done. I thought it was meant to be part of a match day experience, good entertainment and good food at reasonable prices. I would like some of the directors to come down and experience what we get served at the kiosks. It really is that bad that a guy a few seats along from me made a joke about it saying his pie was that hard and crap that a seagull was flying around with no beak. If we all get together on this maybe just maybe something will get done. I know people will say just don't buy one but me alone won't change anything.

staunchhibby
24-07-2016, 06:44 PM
Get the Boghall butchers inSublime pies that have won loads of awards.

Mr White
24-07-2016, 06:45 PM
The price is one thing, it should be a bit less but it's always going to be more expensive than a high street bakery. There's no excuse for such poor quality though.

staunchhibby
24-07-2016, 06:48 PM
Do not see any health and hygeine certificates displayed in the kiosks.Think standards are appalling

trev the hat
24-07-2016, 06:53 PM
Surely a deal can be struck with Bains once the catering comes in house. Excellent pies & a Hibby by all accounts
I don't buy anything from the kiosks due to poor quality & extortionate pricing

Scouse Hibee
24-07-2016, 06:57 PM
Do not see any health and hygeine certificates displayed in the kiosks.Think standards are appalling

They don't need to be displayed.

Famous Fiver
24-07-2016, 06:57 PM
Apart from the seagull with the broken beak the rest of them seem to hang about hoping for cast offs so don't have an issue.

Could we no get Conrad back as official pie tester?

cabbageandribs1875
24-07-2016, 07:04 PM
i tried a steak pie at the brondby game and actually enjoyed it

seanshow
24-07-2016, 07:09 PM
personally I have not eaten anything at a football ground that wasn't sealed in a packet since i was a youngster, It's not stuff i would eat.

but i agree, the balance between cost/quality seems to be way one sided.

24-07-2016, 07:10 PM
Glad we now have more choices on the menu but its still poor quality food and ridiculously overpriced.

NAE NOOKIE
24-07-2016, 07:15 PM
As happens 50% of the time my steak pie was stuck to the foil, it was hot though, which means you need Teflon fingers as you manfully try to pick the bloody thing apart in order to eat it.

GreenCastle
24-07-2016, 07:18 PM
As much as I love what the club are doing on the pitch right now I wish LD and co would sort 3 really simple things..

1 - overpriced and crap and unhealthy quality food

2 - tannoy system in the East Stand - can't hear a word

3 - the club shop and the awful / lack of stuff in it

Cod Boy
24-07-2016, 07:18 PM
As happens 50% of the time my steak pie was stuck to the foil, it was hot though, which means you need Teflon fingers as you manfully try to pick the bloody thing apart in order to eat it.

I always get bains pies for us when Hibs are at home on Saturdays

mca
24-07-2016, 07:31 PM
Get the Boghall butchers pies that have won loads of awards.

:thumbsup:

What do they Cost.. ?? About £1.50...

h18eeynick
24-07-2016, 07:48 PM
Simple answer surely is dont buy and tell as many friends that you know not to buy. That way you wont be disappointed

Last Minute
24-07-2016, 07:51 PM
Simple answer surely is dont buy and tell as many friends that you know not to buy. That way you wont be disappointed

Never thought of that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Itsnoteasy
24-07-2016, 07:54 PM
The price is one thing, it should be a bit less but it's always going to be more expensive than a high street bakery. There's no excuse for such poor quality though.

Dunfermline steak bridies from Stephens bakers are the business & aren't priced much more than they sell in their shops.

Mr White
24-07-2016, 07:58 PM
Dunfermline steak bridies from Stephens bakers are the business & aren't priced much more than they sell in their shops.

That's great. I predict that will never happen at easter road. The quality will hopefully improve though.

Last Minute
24-07-2016, 08:10 PM

That's the quality we should be looking at. They are even in most co-op shops as well.

Jonnyboy
24-07-2016, 08:13 PM
£2.50 for a coke :bitchy:

Allant1981
24-07-2016, 08:17 PM
They don't need to be displayed.
They dont even need to have done any training either

Scouse Hibee
24-07-2016, 08:31 PM
They dont even need to have done any training either

Legally they don't have to have food hygiene certificate but they do have to be trained in due dilligence in respect of food safety and hygiene.

erin go bragh
24-07-2016, 08:35 PM
Overpriced, poor quality, slow service . The food BTG is much better and cheaper , with the money made, going to Hibs . Everyone should boycott the kiosks until the food and prices improve.

Scouse Hibee
24-07-2016, 08:38 PM
Even the lobster shell in the West was harder than usual to crack today.It was half time before I could enjoy my claw meat.

matty_f
24-07-2016, 08:59 PM
Better emailing the club to complain. The more complaints the more chance of something changing.

I stopped buying from the kiosks ages ago. The prices are scandalous and exploitative, IMHO. The fare there is amongst the worst value for money things outside of places like the Hydro (near £20 for two pints and 2 bridies).

24-07-2016, 09:19 PM
Better emailing the club to complain. The more complaints the more chance of something changing.

I stopped buying from the kiosks ages ago. The prices are scandalous and exploitative, IMHO. The fare there is amongst the worst value for money things outside of places like the Hydro (near £20 for two pints and 2 bridies).

Agreed. Leeann is very good at listening to the fans and taking fans opinions on board so i'm sure if this is raised to her by the fans or the fans representatives she will get something done.

trev the hat
24-07-2016, 09:27 PM
£2.50 for a coke :bitchy:

Was a fiver for a bottle of coke in Copenhagen 😳

NORTHERNHIBBY
24-07-2016, 09:30 PM
What is missing from the catering I think is the assessment of whether you would would buy it given the choice rather than you will buy it because there is no choice.

HibbyAndy
24-07-2016, 09:35 PM
Having 2 kids there is not a hope in hell il buy anything from Easter rd with the prices being scandelous !! Greggs before we go in for my lot.

Scouse Hibee
24-07-2016, 09:36 PM
Judging by the queues at half time many folk find the offering decent enough to be repeat customers. I guess for some it's just become a habit of attending football.

The Green Goblin
24-07-2016, 09:42 PM
I'd love to see big vats of stovies in the winter. Big steaming hot plates of food to enjoy during the game. Not a food for gulls either! :wink:

GlesgaeHibby
24-07-2016, 09:50 PM

:agree: Absolutely - great Bridies at Dunfermline. So much better than the Easter Road pies which are rock hard on top/side, but the bottom either sticks to the foil or (on the odd occassion you can free it from the foil case) the bottom falls out. Irresistible.

GreenCastle
24-07-2016, 10:01 PM

I like you stopped buying several years ago it's that bad and expensive. Friends have got me stuff since and not been impressed.

I have contacted the club about the crap food and tannoy in the East Stand and still nothing done. They talk about improve the match day experience but they haven't sorted this out yet.

Would be good for LD to come out and give an update about catering / sound system and the poor effort of the club shop since the final.

monktonharp
24-07-2016, 10:03 PM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalkplease listen,or read. I have complained on here for years and many times been accused of taking things too far. The Club, (our club) just don't seem to listen . why oh why are we still using half baked (or overbaked) catering companies who employ young students/etc who cant help a bad situation and refund when the product is soooo bad? why are the club not actually facing up to facts? why is it so expensive to buy a bloody pie? get a grip Hibernian, and this is the first and only time I will look at this post.Regarding the merchandise from the Shop, same applies. End OFF.

monktonharp
24-07-2016, 10:14 PM
Judging by the queues at half time many folk find the offering decent enough to be repeat customers. I guess for some it's just become a habit of attending football.More fool them then. rich folk might be able to do it

jdships
24-07-2016, 10:30 PM

Just beat me to it ! :agree:
Was going to pose the same question
As it stands the catering borders on a " rip off" :rolleyes:

FromTheCapital
24-07-2016, 11:12 PM
Must say, I struck lucky today.

Normally, I just take my own pies into the stadium, however, today I was running late so I had to pick up a steak pie at the game and it was fantastic.

Must've gotten lucky I suppose :greengrin:

Last Minute
25-07-2016, 06:28 AM
I'm going to email Leanne today and ask what is being done about the catering. Can I ask all on here who is not happy about the quality and price please do the same. The more people that email maybe they will listen and things will change.

GreenCastle
25-07-2016, 08:52 AM
I'm going to email Leanne today and ask what is being done about the catering. Can I ask all on here who is not happy about the quality and price please do the same. The more people that email maybe they will listen and things will change.

What is the best email ? Thanks

Last Minute
25-07-2016, 09:18 AM
What is the best email ? Thanks

LDempster@hibernianfc.co.uk

swordin3
25-07-2016, 10:21 AM

Aye your right I work in West Lothian and the bog hall pies are braw. Unfortunately all the adults walking about with the Rangers , tops and devil dogs puts me of.

Finn2015
25-07-2016, 10:28 AM
Never go at all to the kiosks which tells its own story. Overpriced and poor quality food

Diclonius
25-07-2016, 11:03 AM
I haven't bought anything from catering for years - always eat before the game.

Not keen on paying twice as much for what would be a better product elsewhere. I understand market economics etc (increase the price cause they can't go elsewhere) but surely Hibs can do something about it for those who actually do want a bite to eat at the game.

Fuzzywuzzy
25-07-2016, 11:12 AM
Years ago I emailed the club asking why they didn't have a tie in with Greggs. Crap food is crap food but for the love of the wee man Greggs has to be better than the kak on offer. Needless to say I never got a response or acknowledgement.

Hibby Bairn
25-07-2016, 11:17 AM
I haven't bought anything from catering for years - always eat before the game.

Not keen on paying twice as much for what would be a better product elsewhere. I understand market economics etc (increase the price cause they can't go elsewhere) but surely Hibs can do something about it for those who actually do want a bite to eat at the game.

Yes re market economics. But WE are a club not a business. Make ends meet etc but also look after the members of that club i.e. the fans. I am quite sure an adequate profit could be made using a local supplier with a charity giving people work experience or employment training managing the staff team on match days. Better product, help local businesses, reduce prices, help unemployed people gain skills.

We should use a similar approach for club shop too.

HappyHanlon
25-07-2016, 11:24 AM
Why advertise Macaroni pies when you haven't got them?

GreenCastle
25-07-2016, 11:31 AM
I have emailed the club.

I would advise others to do so also - it's been crap for too long to sit and just not buy anything.

Change is needed!! :agree:

gegs70
25-07-2016, 11:41 AM
It would be nice to see better quality food and snacks here at better prices...

Iain G
25-07-2016, 11:41 AM

I hear Danny Handling is getting the a la carte food training as we speak :greengrin

Jamesie
25-07-2016, 12:09 PM
Surely a deal can be struck with Bains once the catering comes in house. Excellent pies & a Hibby by all accounts
I don't buy anything from the kiosks due to poor quality & extortionate pricing

How long to go now til that happens?

Scouse Hibee
25-07-2016, 02:46 PM
I thought the catering had already been taken in house? Hearts not too long ago had an Italian themed day in their hospitality suites and the La Favorita pizza trailer in the ground. Worked well as fans of one stand had the luxury of proper pizza at half time.

Phil MaGlass
25-07-2016, 02:49 PM
A boycott would bebetter and maybe a chant from the fans
along the lines of white stripes
Oh the caterin is shiiite

Since90+2
25-07-2016, 02:53 PM
For people saying Bains and Stories are we sure they would have the capacity to supply Easter Road?

I think they make the pies ect in their own stores so its debatable whether they would have the production capacity to supply a couple of thousand products to Hibs.

Blackfordhibby
25-07-2016, 03:15 PM
Is it the quality of the pie that's the problem or the heating of the pie? It seems that our pies have a bronze award, see here http://scottishbakers.org/thescotchpieclub scroll down to football pies and click. Course that could mean that other clubs pies are really diabolical, must admit I do like the Dunfermline scran.

Leith's finest
25-07-2016, 05:51 PM
Got to keep the seagulls happy, everybody buys poor food chuck it; seagulls move in

snooky
25-07-2016, 05:57 PM
Got to keep the seagulls happy, everybody buys poor food chuck it; seagulls move in
Or move out when they taste what's on offer.

Last Minute
25-07-2016, 05:57 PM
A boycott would bebetter and maybe a chant from the fans
along the lines of white stripes
Oh the caterin is shiiite

That's exactly what is needed. It's been going on too long. It's meant to be part of the match experience. Something needs to be done now.

Weststandwanab
25-07-2016, 06:13 PM

Vote with your feet and wallets.

The pies are atrocious. The pastry on the steak ones are like concrete and the curry pies fall to bits as soon as you lift them out the foil.

The 'pizzas' on the other hand :hyper

Look gash !

Get Storries in.

I would second that.

If only. I was there three weeks ago and joined a massive queue to get the best pies I have ever tasted

That's exactly what is needed. It's been going on too long. It's meant to be part of the match experience. Something needs to be done now.

Fired !

mutley
25-07-2016, 07:30 PM
As much as I love what the club are doing on the pitch right now I wish LD and co would sort 3 really simple things..

I agree with all above.

As for the catering prices, well obviously a shop has fewer staff so fewer overheads to pay, but the quality is terrible at ER.
I used to buy every time (like some one mentioned, it was a habit, more like my football ritual was to get a hot drink and half time pie) but I gradually stopped.

Other grounds have less staff, but you seem to get served faster and the product is much better. This really needs sorting out, but ,again has been mentioned already, the queues are still massive and therefore will be seen as working well.
We can keep complaining but if we keep buying then it won't change.

BoomtownHibees
25-07-2016, 08:19 PM
The steak pies in BTG are the best I have ever tasted. Do we have different caterers/suppliers in there compared to at the game?

snooky
26-07-2016, 12:37 AM

and....

4 - More cash gates. It's ridiculous to see lines of fans queuing up at the ticket office to buy a tickets 5 mins before kick off.
Progress ma arsum.

Sometimes I get the feeling that Hibs & the police want to make things as awkward as possible to support the club.
Restricted parking, ott crowd control, selling you the worst seats in the ground to you when there are loads of good ones still empty, appalling quality, pricing and service at food & drinks kiosks, playing music so LOUD that you can't hear yourself talk, the shop's stupid opening times & not selling club merchandise at other outlets. I could go on.

MWHIBBIES
26-07-2016, 12:46 AM
and....

4 - More cash gates. It's ridiculous to see lines of fans queuing up at the ticket office to buy a tickets 5 mins before kick off.
Progress ma arsum.

Sometimes I get the feeling that Hibs & the police want to make things as awkward as possible to support the club.
Restricted parking, ott crowd control, selling you the worst seats in the ground to you when there are loads of good ones still empty, appalling quality, pricing and service at food & drinks kiosks, playing music so LOUD that you can't hear yourself talk, the shop's stupid opening times & not selling club merchandise at other outlets. I could go on.
Lets not get started on winning the scottish cup, signing quality players and employing quality mangers.

Eyrie
26-07-2016, 11:15 AM
and....

Progress ma arsum.

Most of those are fair enough, but the solution to #4 is simple - people should either buy tickets online or leave the pub five minutes earlier.

Last Minute
26-07-2016, 02:39 PM
what do you think we should all do? is it about time we all give it a boycott even for just 1 game to let them know we are not happy. or do we just continue to buy the odd pie here and there then moan about it. they need to know that its time for this to change now, as its been promised for years it would get looked into. I bet if their was as many complaints at hospitality it would be changed by the next game. lets do the talking with our feet and get together on this one.

staunchhibby
26-07-2016, 03:03 PM
Agree we need to take some kind of action or we will continue to get the samd dished match after match.Already take my own pies to the match.

Last Minute
26-07-2016, 03:56 PM
Lets not get started on winning the scottish cup, signing quality players and employing quality mangers.

aye, lets not do anything about it cos of the above. years of taking crap and employing crap which the fans paid good money for. years being down in this league and watching crap and now we still have to pay over the odds to eat crap. but its alright cos of the above. no wonder things don't change at easter road

Carheenlea
26-07-2016, 04:42 PM
For those of us out of town fans, what can one expect from a Bains or Stories pie, and can we try for ourselves anywhere near Easter Road? Seems only right to sample one for comparison :agree:

Jack
26-07-2016, 05:40 PM
For those of us out of town fans, what can one expect from a Bains or Stories pie, and can we try for ourselves anywhere near Easter Road? Seems only right to sample one for comparison :agree:

Bains is a butchers at Stenhouse Cross on the West side of the city but it doesn't stop me making a pilgrimage to buy them by the dozen. There was a cafe on Easter Road, opposite Montgomery Street sold them, I'm not sure they're still there or still do. Bains pies are made with proper mince and even though it's as thick as your grannies mince there is still an art in eating them without making a mess. A Sauzée among pies!

I don't like Storries mince pies, traditional mutton though. Their curry pies are better. Storries can be found almost opposite, just down a wee bit, from the Harp and Castle on Leith Walk.

Hope this helps ootta tooner :-)

Scouse Hibee
26-07-2016, 06:32 PM
McGills pies top them all for me.

Carheenlea
26-07-2016, 08:52 PM
Bains is a butchers at Stenhouse Cross on the West side of the city but it doesn't stop me making a pilgrimage to buy them by the dozen. There was a cafe on Easter Road, opposite Montgomery Street sold them, I'm not sure they're still there or still do. Bains pies are made with proper mince and even though it's as thick as your grannies mince there is still an art in eating them without making a mess. A Sauzée among pies!

I don't like Storries mince pies, traditional mutton though. Their curry pies are better. Storries can be found almost opposite, just down a wee bit, from the Harp and Castle on Leith Walk.

Hope this helps ootta tooner :-)

You paint a pretty picture alright with Bains - Stenhouse not a place that I'm ever near though. Storries I can try though - cheers for info :aok:

snooky
26-07-2016, 10:26 PM

But have we ever won the "Best Pie Award" as Killie did? ..... Naw. Just saying :wink:

Babyshamble
26-07-2016, 10:42 PM
They should get the hibs club to do the catering.great food & reasonable prices.they're cheese burgers, chips & curry sauce are superb.

HUTCHYHIBBY
26-07-2016, 10:42 PM
McGills pies top them all for me.

Yup, much better than Bains.

Andy74
27-07-2016, 12:45 PM
I think the main issues are the price and the ability of those doing the heating and serving.

The quality is probably good enough in the pies for example if they are heated correctly.

Last game there mine was rock hard and stuck the foil - that happens too often.

The serving girl stared into space for about a minute before getting round to serving me - there's also no particular guidance on how you are meant to queue.

The problem with comparing to some other grounds with local bakers supplying is the scale - could they do thousands instead of dozens or hundreds? Then assuming you got better quality, who is going to take care of them and serve them more effectively?

Hibs are expensive for what you get, most away grounds are considerably cheaper.

dangermouse
27-07-2016, 12:58 PM
You paint a pretty picture alright with Bains - Stenhouse not a place that I'm ever near though. Storries I can try though - cheers for info :aok:

Bains, just along the road from me :greengrin Excellent pie but as stated eating one is an art form.