PDA

View Full Version : Keatings / Strikers?

AdidasHibernian
23-07-2016, 10:06 PM
Evening my fellow Hibees.
Hope it's ok to post this, just getting used to the page!

Just keen to see what peoples opinions are mainly on Keatings? Apologies if this has been covered on another recent post.

Personally I have always liked Keatings, but as stated on another post I read, I agree that this year especially we most certainly need a big target man for Cummings who is by far and away our number one Striker due to his clinical ness.
Hopefully with that said Holt will do the business for us when he continues to improve in regards to match sharpness.

But back in regards to Keatings, as I said above I really personally do rate him and hope he does infact continue to be involved heavily with us this year as I feel with the right run and confidence he is more than capable of being in with a chance of 10-15 goals at least in this league as I feel he is a very good finisher on his day.

On a side note with the Stirker situation and most fellow fans suggesting we will and need another Striker, what about the lad from Peterhead? Sure his name is Rory McAllister. 29 years old so still has a fair few years ahead of him, granted a few would and may rightly say could he step up and be consistent? Personally his goal scoring record speaks volumes, granted it's not at the highest level however still need to put the ball in the net regardless as they say. Also with us having Keatings and Cummings and of Course Holt. Surely it would be a decent addition to the squad that would keep competition for places interesting. Can't see him being a lot of money transfer wise either with him being at Peterhead, also wages wouldn't be to much of a problem either surely.

Genuinely baffles me how nobody from the Championship or even lower SPL teams have took a gamble on him.

What's everyone's opinions on either of the above plus possible Striker signing options this window?

Sorry for the large post members!

Scooter
23-07-2016, 10:13 PM
Keatings in imo is a better footballer than Cummings and I think Keatings would work better with holt.

Rory mccallister wants part time football as he has a successful business up there

offshorehibby
23-07-2016, 10:20 PM
Hibs were interested in McCallister many years ago but he went to Peterhead instead as he was guaranteed a plumbers job up there.

AdidasHibernian
23-07-2016, 10:20 PM
Keatings in imo is a better footballer than Cummings and I think Keatings would work better with holt.

Rory mccallister wants part time football as he has a successful business up there

Totally agree in regards to Keatings with your points Scooter.

Surely if we were to offer McAllister a good deal it may be worth thinking about if your him!
But never realised that was his current and recent mindset. Shame too as I have always genuinely admired him for a fair while now.
I'm sure the Dons were sniffing about in regards to him a few years back if memory serves me right, could be wrong however.

H18 SFR
23-07-2016, 10:32 PM
Evening my fellow Hibees.
Hope it's ok to post this, just getting used to the page!

Just keen to see what peoples opinions are mainly on Keatings? Apologies if this has been covered on another recent post.

Personally I have always liked Keatings, but as stated on another post I read, I agree that this year especially we most certainly need a big target man for Cummings who is by far and away our number one Striker due to his clinical ness.
Hopefully with that said Holt will do the business for us when he continues to improve in regards to match sharpness.

But back in regards to Keatings, as I said above I really personally do rate him and hope he does infact continue to be involved heavily with us this year as I feel with the right run and confidence he is more than capable of being in with a chance of 10-15 goals at least in this league as I feel he is a very good finisher on his day.

On a side note with the Stirker situation and most fellow fans suggesting we will and need another Striker, what about the lad from Peterhead? Sure his name is Rory McAllister. 29 years old so still has a fair few years ahead of him, granted a few would and may rightly say could he step up and be consistent? Personally his goal scoring record speaks volumes, granted it's not at the highest level however still need to put the ball in the net regardless as they say. Also with us having Keatings and Cummings and of Course Holt. Surely it would be a decent addition to the squad that would keep competition for places interesting. Can't see him being a lot of money transfer wise either with him being at Peterhead, also wages wouldn't be to much of a problem either surely.

Genuinely baffles me how nobody from the Championship or even lower SPL teams have took a gamble on him.

What's everyone's opinions on either of the above plus possible Striker signing options this window?

Sorry for the large post members!

McAllister needs part-time football due to his business interests outside of football.

lord bunberry
23-07-2016, 10:34 PM
Cummings will score double the amount of goals keatings will. Keatings will be a good back up, the same as he was last season.

Big_Franck
23-07-2016, 11:48 PM
Cummings will score double the amount of goals keatings will. Keatings will be a good back up, the same as he was last season.

No doubt about the first part. I think we need a second strong striker though. Not necessarily a target man but someone stronger than Cummings and Keatings who can fill in for Holt when he is injured/suspended. When Farid was out we had no plan B up front and I fear the same could happen again with Holt unless we sign a back up.

NikGunnarsson
24-07-2016, 12:52 AM
Its all down to personal opinion. I think Keatings should have been partnered with Stokes last season and think once again he should be first team. He is a fantastic finisher and penalty box striker and he links well with others. Also noticed this but he hits a wicked free kick when the team is out pre match and at half time. Think also that Jase would be a great player to be able to throw on upfront.

Skyegreen
24-07-2016, 06:36 AM
I love wee Keats. Brings a freshness and an urgency when he comes on as a sub.
I think he'll keep Cummings on his toes tbh. The two of them seem to have plenty banter, so this will surely auger well for the season.

Cummings scores a lot of goals, so Keatings would really need to do more to get a starting place up top with Holt if you ask me.

One thing that I love about the whole Keatings - Cummings debate is that both are ex- Jambo's! I know one or two over at Tynie are looking at us with envy and that is very pleasing indeed. 😆

Hibby Kay-Yay
24-07-2016, 06:49 AM
I would like to see how our strikers would work as a front three. Cummings on the left, Holt in the middle and Keatings on the right.

*****************Keeper***************

Gray******McGregor*******Hanlon****Stevenson

*******McGeogh(sp)**Bartley***McGinn*********

***Keatings**********Holt********Cummings***

hibbydog
24-07-2016, 08:32 AM
No doubt about the first part. I think we need a second strong striker though. Not necessarily a target man but someone stronger than Cummings and Keatings who can fill in for Holt when he is injured/suspended. When Farid was out we had no plan B up front and I fear the same could happen again with Holt unless we sign a back up.

My thoughts exactly.

Don't think it would be wise to rely heavily on holt this year given his age and how few games he managed last season. Another striker is a must.

Just Jimmy
24-07-2016, 09:26 AM
Holt is about 400 years old. Roughly obviously. He isn't going to play every week or even 90 minutes every week. Keatings will get his chance.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

biotech
24-07-2016, 09:28 AM
Hibs did well last season with Keatings playing in the "hole" behind Cummings and Malonga. This seems his best position to me.
Would agree we need cover for Holt - unlikely to get an entire season from him.

easty
24-07-2016, 09:38 AM
Keatings is a sub in my opinion. Not a bad player by any means, but he's not as good as Cummings. Not at all.

I'd play 2 up front, Cummings and Holt.

Keatings can play deeper, but he's not a midfielder, and the midfielders we already have are better.

The Modfather
24-07-2016, 09:42 AM
Hibs did well last season with Keatings playing in the "hole" behind Cummings and Malonga. This seems his best position to me.

Opinions eh. Other than the St Mirren game away last season I thought it was more often than not like playing with a man down when Keatings was in the hole/tip of the diamond.

He can definitely make a positive contribution up front though over the course of a season.

B.H.F.C
24-07-2016, 09:56 AM

I thought, other than the St Mirren game, Keatings was poor playing in that position. It's just not his position. Went about 3 or 4 months without a goal.

ancient hibee
24-07-2016, 09:59 AM
Keatings can be a good finisher but drops out of games for long periods and his head goes down too easily for my liking.Cummings will score far more than him as he's more aware of the half chances.

Is this guy Holt that will struggle to last games any relation to the Holt who played for 120 minutes the other night and was still able to score a penalty?

NORTHERNHIBBY
24-07-2016, 10:14 AM
My thoughts exactly.

Don't think it would be wise to rely heavily on holt this year given his age and how few games he managed last season. Another striker is a must.

If Holt is going to be a starter and we set up to play to a forward to hold the ball up then the other striker to come in would need to be in the same mould.

we are hibs
24-07-2016, 11:22 AM
Opinions eh. Other than the St Mirren game away last season I thought it was more often than not like playing with a man down when Keatings was in the hole/tip of the diamond.

He can definitely make a positive contribution up front though over the course of a season.

He also played very well against Dundee Utd at Easter road in that position.

Alfred E Newman
24-07-2016, 11:51 AM
Hibs were interested in McCallister many years ago but he went to Peterhead instead as he was guaranteed a plumbers job up there.

He was linked with Hearts but unfortunately he didn't measure up. He was only 6 ft 3.

IanFaeClerrie
29-07-2016, 11:45 AM
Things Keatsy is a lot better than Cummings. I don't think Cummings can beat a player - ever. He failed too many times last season when we needed him

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

The_Horde
29-07-2016, 11:48 AM
Things Keatsy is a lot better than Cummings. I don't think Cummings can beat a player - ever. He failed too many times last season when we needed him

That's just nonsense. Was he the only one who could score our goals? Needed a much better hand from everyone else.

nellio
29-07-2016, 11:52 AM
Keating's is a superb finisher, he really is. Like someone else said, I'm surprised that no-one has come in for him considering he doesn't start every game for us. I think if we are using him as a backup we are very lucky to have him.

hibee-boys
29-07-2016, 12:58 PM
I don't think there's anything to stop us playing Holt, Cummings and Keatings in certain games at championship level. 4-3-3 with a sitting midfielder supporting centre halfs if need be, wings back creating width, Holt holding the ball up and letting McGinn, Mcgeouch, Cummings and Keatings run riot!.....think I'll give Lennon a call, he might not have thought of that!😁

Dunbar Hibee
29-07-2016, 01:12 PM

You are of course entitled to your opinion, but in my opinion, that post is nonsense.

IanFaeClerrie
29-07-2016, 01:15 PM
I was at every match last year and there were four games when his confidence had gone where he missed easy chances which would have got us promoted. Plating him witb Stokes madebit woraw. Stubbs should have stopped playing him.

JDHibs
29-07-2016, 01:39 PM
Keatings is a deadly finisher and a great impact sub.

There must be a reason why Neilson, Stubbs and looks like Lennon aswell havent seen him as a starter. Maybe just better options.

Holt is a fit guy for his age, with a good pre season behind him and if he steers clear of injuries, he will suprise people with the amount of minutes/games he will play.

Lennon has realised we need another striker, probably why we are looking at Graham from Ross Co. Which would give us another big lad with experience to cover for Holt and help Cummings/Keatings.

Drumlanrig
29-07-2016, 01:41 PM
I was at every match last year and there were four games when his confidence had gone where he missed easy chances which would have got us promoted. Plating him witb Stokes madebit woraw. Stubbs should have stopped playing him.

That's easy for you to say!

IanFaeClerrie
29-07-2016, 01:43 PM
Not at all, it is very difficult because I really like the laddie but he can't win the ball, he cannot beat a player, he has one leg and he misses far too many chances.

Drumlanrig
29-07-2016, 01:46 PM
Not at all, it is very difficult because I really like the laddie but he can't win the ball, he cannot beat a player, he has one leg and he misses far too many chances.

Plating him witb Stokes madebit woraw!

Whoooosssssh!

Blaster
29-07-2016, 01:47 PM
Why do folk always look to the negatives in our players rather than focussing on their attributes?

Dunbar Hibee
29-07-2016, 03:29 PM
Why do folk always look to the negatives in our players rather than focussing on their attributes?

Especially when the negatives aren't true...

ancient hibee
29-07-2016, 03:34 PM

There the used to be a one legged footballer in the Wizard (an old war wound).My recollection is he played in defence and was very steady although a bit slow on the turn.

IanFaeClerrie
29-07-2016, 07:20 PM
Tubby Morton was in the Tiger

ballengeich
29-07-2016, 07:56 PM
Cummings and Keatings are excellent strikers, but they're similar players. We need another big target man type so that if Holt is injured we're not in the position of last season when Farid was unavailable.

Edson Arantes
29-07-2016, 09:13 PM
Cummings and Keatings are excellent strikers, but they're similar players. We need another big target man type so that if Holt is injured we're not in the position of last season when Farid was unavailable.

Sorry, Cummings and Keatings are not excellent strikers.

29-07-2016, 09:23 PM
One thing I like about Keatings is that when he is started/subbed on, he tries to make the most of the time he is given. Agree that we may need another target man, but that doesn't and shouldn't mean that Keatings isn't given more time on the pitch this season.

ballengeich
29-07-2016, 09:24 PM
Sorry, Cummings and Keatings are not excellent strikers.

They're not Ronaldo or Higuain standard, but who are better at our level?

keep the faith
29-07-2016, 09:48 PM

Keatings is a man short playing behind the strikers. I have never seen him do anything at all in that role. He is a striker and nothing else and provides us with cover for holt and JC.
I think ideally Lennon still needs to bring in another forward and it sounds like he is doing that.