PDA

View Full Version : The Olympic stadium

lord bunberry
23-07-2016, 12:52 PM
I'm watching the athletics on tv at the Olympic stadium. Am I right in thinking that when West Ham play there this season there won't be a running track? If so how will they achieve this?

Dashing Bob S
23-07-2016, 01:11 PM
I'm watching the athletics on tv at the Olympic stadium. Am I right in thinking that when West Ham play there this season there won't be a running track? If so how will they achieve this?

A bank of removable seats go over the top of the track.

lord bunberry
23-07-2016, 03:18 PM
A bank of removable seats go over the top of the track.
What happens to the seats that are currently at the edge of the track? The current front row for the athletics is level with the running track, if you put a bank of seats in front of them, it would block the view of all those seats.

CapitalGreen
23-07-2016, 03:27 PM
What happens to the seats that are currently at the edge of the track? The current front row for the athletics is level with the running track, if you put a bank of seats in front of them, it would block the view of all those seats.

Seats are not added at the front, the seats move forward so the front rows are 5-15m from the pitch.

lord bunberry
23-07-2016, 03:37 PM
Seats are not added at the front, the seats move forward so the front rows are 5-15m from the pitch.
Cheers.

LancashireHibby
23-07-2016, 06:37 PM

I was there last autumn watching the England v New Zealand rugby league game and we were in the bottom tier - it was a separate section of seating with the 'athletics' lower tier being a few yards behind us. The concourse is at the back of the lower tier and you have to walk across a runway to get from the concourse to the start of the seating area. Obviously this may have changed now but it felt odd as a rugby ground and can't see it being any different for football.

Posh Swanny
23-07-2016, 07:34 PM
Good idea of what it's like in the foreground of this pic. Not sure it entirely "works" but still miles better than having the track in between!

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=london+olympic+stadium+west+ham&rlz=1CDGOYI_enGB699GB699&hl=en-GB&prmd=inv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjbkrSBqYrOAhWLDMAKHfWRBhYQ_AUICCgB&biw=320&bih=492#imgrc=ncV3TVIJsbQINM%3A

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lord bunberry
23-07-2016, 09:18 PM
Good idea of what it's like in the foreground of this pic. Not sure it entirely "works" but still miles better than having the track in between!

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=london+olympic+stadium+west+ham&rlz=1CDGOYI_enGB699GB699&hl=en-GB&prmd=inv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjbkrSBqYrOAhWLDMAKHfWRBhYQ_AUICCgB&biw=320&bih=492#imgrc=ncV3TVIJsbQINM%3A

The fans in the top tier are going to need binoculars to see the action at the other end.

hibbie02
23-07-2016, 10:24 PM
Were you the guy from Leith whose seat I was sitting in? I was with the red haired girl? I have to admit I spent half the afternoon trying to figure out the seating for the football and couldn't! It is obvious that there are angles and blocks, but it is hard to see what will happen?

offshorehibby
23-07-2016, 10:40 PM

Keith_M
24-07-2016, 06:59 AM
I was there last autumn watching the England v New Zealand rugby league game and we were in the bottom tier - it was a separate section of seating with the 'athletics' lower tier being a few yards behind us. The concourse is at the back of the lower tier and you have to walk across a runway to get from the concourse to the start of the seating area. Obviously this may have changed now but it felt odd as a rugby ground and can't see it being any different for football.

I think they've done a lot of work on the stadium since then.

I was just reading an article about the development done this year and they specifically mentioned sliding sections they can move nearer the pitch for the football.

As an aside, 250 million donated by the taxpayer just so they can play football at the stadium? That's utterly ridiculous, considering it's purely for the benefit of one club.

Pretty Boy
24-07-2016, 07:39 AM

That looks pretty brutal.