PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Thomson

CropleyWasGod
23-07-2016, 11:43 AM
Interesting interview with KT in the Scotsman today.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hibernian/interview-kevin-thomson-on-his-part-in-hibs-cup-triumph-1-4184712

Amongst other things, it puts to bed the debate on whether he got a SC medal.

He didn't.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Scouse Hibee
23-07-2016, 11:46 AM
Interesting interview with KT in the Scotsman today.

Amongst other things, it puts to bed the debate on whether he got a SC medal.

He didn't.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Hahahahaha yet his "friend" on here was adamant he did.

Nameless
23-07-2016, 11:52 AM
Good article. I think he deserves a medal, he changed the game when he came on at Tynie.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

chinaman
23-07-2016, 11:54 AM
Thomson is all in the past.
Hibernian are going places , let him "crawl" back to greyskull.

Steve-O
23-07-2016, 11:55 AM
I reckon that had he not walked over broken glass to get to Ibrox and stayed at ER 1-2 years more he might not now find himself at Tranent Juniors.

Still believes he was under appreciated and yet look where he is now? Laddie is delusional.

Eyrie
23-07-2016, 12:01 PM
Good article. I think he deserves a medal, he changed the game when he came on at Tynie.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

It's a strange situation that someone whose only involvement could be as an unused sub in the final gets a winner's medal but someone who actually played in earlier rounds but doesn't make the squad for the final misses out completely.

oneone73
23-07-2016, 12:07 PM
It's a strange situation that someone whose only involvement could be as an unused sub in the final gets a winner's medal but someone who actually played in earlier rounds but doesn't make the squad for the final misses out completely.

Malonga deserves one for his goal at Raith. Not to mention Doolan and Holden.

My_Wife_Camille
23-07-2016, 12:12 PM
Thomson is a Rangers jobby who does nothing but moan and complain about how Hibs fans don't appreciate how wonderful a man/footballer/warrior/martyr that he is.

Deserves his medal though. Played his part with two excellent performances against Hearts.

Treadstone
23-07-2016, 12:15 PM

Totally agree. You can get cup-tied for playing a single minute. Anyone taking to the field for any game in a successful cup run should get a medal as a matter of course.

NORTHERNHIBBY
23-07-2016, 12:21 PM
I wonder how many times Kevin Thomson will be news for no other reason than just because.

CallumLaidlaw
23-07-2016, 12:27 PM
It's funny isn't it. I spoke to him the morning after the cup final at the sponsors event for a good 10-15 minutes and he was absolutely delighted to have been involved and said he'd enjoyed the match "as a fan". Was still extremely disgruntled over the whole Keith Jackson thing as he was absolutely adamant he never said what was written, and he came across really really well.

Scouse Hibee
23-07-2016, 12:28 PM
Totally agree. You can get cup-tied for playing a single minute. Anyone taking to the field for any game in a successful cup run should get a medal as a matter of course.

I disagree and believe it would devalue the medal and would mean nothing to a player who hadn't been involved with the squad on cup final day.Medals should be awarded for the occasion of winning the cup competition not merely being involved early on.

superfurryhibby
23-07-2016, 12:31 PM
I wonder how many times Kevin Thomson will be news for no other reason than just because.

To be fair, we don't get that many former Scotland players trying to build a player- manager career in non league football. From Hibs to Tranent juniors is a newsworthy story.

Some people need to grow up, the comments aboutThomson and Rangers etc on here, sad and bitter. The guy served us well and I wish him all the best.

Smartie
23-07-2016, 12:31 PM
I wish folk would just give KT a break.

He said and did a few daft things as a young man - who hasn't?

He played his part in our cup win. A goal-line clearance and a dogged 2nd half performance in hauling us back into the game a Tynecastle and then a really solid shift at ER in the replay.

Almost anyone other than KT would be recognised for this significant contribution.

Malonga, Oxley, KT, Logan - all made major contributions to our cup win and will forever have my respect.

Spike Mandela
23-07-2016, 12:32 PM
He would have had his 10th medal if he'd hung around in 2007 to see the job through like Scot Brown instead of his unseemly haste to walk over broken glass to the financially corrupt club at Ibrox. He would have lifted the cup as captain as well.

Having said all that he was a great player who I admired greatly and desrved to acheive more in the game if he could have avoided injury. I reckon he was probably a great figure to have around the place last season and was very unlucky not to get a winners medal in the league cup.

I think most people have forgiven Kevin his youthful impetuousness in leaving Hibs first time round in the way that he did and if his coaching career is successful I would be happy to see him back at Hibs.

hibeemikey21
23-07-2016, 12:32 PM
In the article, he goes on about how he's such a humble, down to earth guy.......then he says he was more deserving of a medal than some of the guys who were on the bench for the SC final.

Way to prove your point.

PISTOL1875
23-07-2016, 12:39 PM
It's funny isn't it. I spoke to him the morning after the cup final at the sponsors event for a good 10-15 minutes and he was absolutely delighted to have been involved and said he'd enjoyed the match "as a fan". Was still extremely disgruntled over the whole Keith Jackson thing as he was absolutely adamant he never said what was written, and he came across really really well.

Exactly mate.. I was seeing a bird at the time who knew KT quite well and I spent a bit of time in his company.. When the story broke about the ' broken glass etc ' he swore blind it was ***** and Jackson has fabricated parts of the story to push through the move to the huns.. Uncle Walter had a lot of clout at the time and basically used to tell the journos what to write or Rangers wouldn't be so accessable to the press in those days..

Don't get me wrong he was interested in a move there and who wouldn't be , step up the ladder , better money and European football etc etc..

Pretty Boy
23-07-2016, 12:43 PM
He doesn't always come across well and the move to Rangers still leaves a bit of sour taste.

However in his pomp Kevin Thomson was a fantastic footballer. I reckon I'll get zero support with this statement but he was a far better footballer than Scott Brown. Had he not had the injuries he had, 2 of which have ender careers, he woulf have made his mark in England imo. When all is said and done he has had a pretty good career and I wish him well.

neil7908
23-07-2016, 12:44 PM
In the article, he goes on about how he's such a humble, down to earth guy.......then he says he was more deserving of a medal than some of the guys who were on the bench for the SC final.

Way to prove your point.

I like Thommo and have learned to forgive and forget his past sins but that comment jumped out at me as it undermined everything he was saying in the article! I actually think he has a point but he hasn't made it particularly well

easty
23-07-2016, 12:46 PM
Medals for those involved in the final only. That's the way it should be. It's always been that way hasn't it? I'd be embarrassed to take a medal if I hadn't even made the bench in the final.

He knows he played his part in us getting there, he's one of many though, playing and non playing staff.

easty
23-07-2016, 12:48 PM
He doesn't always come across well and the move to Rangers still leaves a bit of sour taste.

However in his pomp Kevin Thomson was a fantastic footballer. I reckon I'll get zero support with this statement but he was a far better footballer than Scott Brown. Had he not had the injuries he had, 2 of which have ender careers, he woulf have made his mark in England imo. When all is said and done he has had a pretty good career and I wish him well.

He was never better than Scott Brown.

The Green Goblin
23-07-2016, 12:50 PM
The feeling I had on May 21st 2016 was such that absolutely anyone who played for Hibs at any point in our cup run, no matter for how much or little time, and no matter what they did, will always have my gratitude and appreciation.

MWHIBBIES
23-07-2016, 12:53 PM
I reckon that had he not walked over broken glass to get to Ibrox and stayed at ER 1-2 years more he might not now find himself at Tranent Juniors.

Still believes he was under appreciated and yet look where he is now? Laddie is delusional.
Had he no broken his leg 4 times he would never have been back here. Deserved a medal, fantastic against Hearts and Ict

Ozyhibby
23-07-2016, 12:58 PM
There is nothing Kevin Thomson like better than to talk about Kevin Thomson. Seems to want to make every situation about him. I'm glad he is no longer at Easter road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theonlywayisup
23-07-2016, 12:58 PM
All the best for the future KT.

Reading one or two of the comments on here, you'd think that some people never made any mistakes in their lives, especially when they were young.

He's probably done things that he regrets now. That's in the past and I can only wish him all the very best for the future.

Allant1981
23-07-2016, 01:00 PM
There is nothing Kevin Thomson like better than to talk about Kevin Thomson. Seems to want to make every situation about him. I'm glad he is no longer at Easter road.

He was being interviewed about his career etc, of course he is going to talk about himself

easty
23-07-2016, 01:00 PM
Had he no broken his leg 4 times he would never have been back here. Deserved a medal, fantastic against Hearts and Ict

You either get a medal for being involved in the final, or everyone who was named in the squad for any game in the cup run should get one.

Just the cup final squad for me.

KeithTheHibby
23-07-2016, 01:01 PM

I agree with your point that he was a fantastic footballer however I think comparing him to Scott Brown is a tough one as they are pretty different players.

KT at times ran the midfield and even in his last 2 spells at ER when his injuries had taken his tall his ball retention was excellent.

Good luck to him.

FromTheCapital
23-07-2016, 01:09 PM
Thomo 100% deserves a medal.

His performances against Hearts in both games was excellent, and we wouldn't be champions if it wasn't for THAT clearance.

Mr White
23-07-2016, 01:11 PM
To be fair, we don't get that many former Scotland players trying to build a player- manager career in non league football. From Hibs to Tranent juniors is a newsworthy story.

Some people need to grow up, the comments aboutThomson and Rangers etc on here, sad and bitter. The guy served us well and I wish him all the best.
:agree: Spot on. It's can't be often a player has started off a year in scotlands top tier, be involved in a scottish cup winning run and be playing junior football a few months later. It's obviously his choice and it must suit him for several reasons and I wish him all the best too.

3pm
23-07-2016, 01:15 PM

I agree with you, far better player than Brown.

Ozyhibby
23-07-2016, 01:16 PM
He was being interviewed about his career etc, of course he is going to talk about himself

But whether or not he got a medal for sitting in the stand was not really what that day was about.
His first two terms at Hibs were marred by dressing room unrest which he was at the centre of on both occasions.
His latest time appears to have been cut short with Hibs deciding not to offer the proposed coaching role. I think it's the right decision.
I thought he was a great player first time round and was happy to take him back again (much like I would be happy to take back Allan) but when it happened again he should not have got a third chance.

Swedish hibee
23-07-2016, 01:20 PM
All the best Kev.

3pm
23-07-2016, 01:21 PM
But whether or not he got a medal for sitting in the stand was not really what that day was about.
His first two terms at Hibs were marred by dressing room unrest which he was at the centre of on both occasions.
His latest time appears to have been cut short with Hibs deciding not to offer the proposed coaching role. I think it's the right decision.
I thought he was a great player first time round and was happy to take him back again (much like I would be happy to take back Allan) but when it happened again he should not have got a third chance.

The 2nd time? It was that ******* Butcher.

Capt Mainwaring
23-07-2016, 01:46 PM
Totally deserves a SC winners medal as he made a valuable contribution in getting us to the final.

Very good player in his day and I wish him all the best for the future

Shearer
23-07-2016, 03:54 PM
He was never better than Scott Brown.

He was way better technically than Scott Brown, classier football player and if not for injuries he would have achieved way more than Brown

Malthibby
23-07-2016, 04:13 PM
Totally deserves a SC winners medal as he made a valuable contribution in getting us to the final.

Very good player in his day and I wish him all the best for the future

:agree: Good luck to the guy.

easty
23-07-2016, 04:14 PM
He was way better technically than Scott Brown, classier football player and if not for injuries he would have achieved way more than Brown

Totally disagree.

We got twice as much for Brown for a reason. I wouldn't say he was twice the player, but he was, and has been ever since, the better player.

stoneyburn hibs
23-07-2016, 04:21 PM
Good luck to the guy. He may or may not have said daft things, some folk need to get over it.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
23-07-2016, 05:50 PM
You know, there always seems to be a positive reaction when statues for the Famous Five are mooted, and rightly so.

Maybe we should club together as fans and commission a run of Winners medals copies for the guys like Dom, Ox, KT who played in the earlier rounds and the guys involved the final squad like Doolan, Holden, Sam Stanton and Harris who didn't receive the real thing as a wee tribute for what was such a momentous occasion? They were all heroes.

easty
23-07-2016, 06:00 PM
You know, there always seems to be a positive reaction when statues for the Famous Five are mooted, and rightly so.

Maybe we should club together as fans and commission a run of Winners medals copies for the guys like Dom, Ox, KT who played in the earlier rounds and the guys involved the final squad like Doolan, Holden, Sam Stanton and Harris who didn't receive the real thing as a wee tribute for what was such a momentous occasion? They were all heroes.

Ox got a medal.

Ozyhibby
23-07-2016, 06:38 PM
Ox got a medal.

And the rest got paid and a life lesson to work harder to get in the team. [emoji3]

snooky
23-07-2016, 06:48 PM
Medals for those involved in the final only. That's the way it should be. It's always been that way hasn't it? I'd be embarrassed to take a medal if I hadn't even made the bench in the final.

He knows he played his part in us getting there, he's one of many though, playing and non playing staff.

Also our fans deserve a medal too. But where do you stop?

Maybe Chic Young deserve one for talking us down?

Barman Stanton
23-07-2016, 06:51 PM
A shame that some are still incredibly bitter about something he may or may not have said as a young lad. He played his part in getting us our last 2 cup finals. He played in wins against Hearts in both 06 and this year.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him back as Manager one day. Hopefully he get the medal he wants if that happens.

Carheenlea
23-07-2016, 06:52 PM
In 20-30 years time, Kevin Thomson will be looked back upon with fonder memories than he is at present. There is a lot of bitterness still lingering from many regarding the circumstances of his move to Rangers, and understandably so, but time will dampen a lot of that I think, and he will be remembered more as a fine Hibs player than as a player for anyone else.

Carheenlea
23-07-2016, 06:55 PM
Also our fans deserve a medal too. But where do you stop?

Maybe Chic Young deserve one for talking us down?

Medals were available to fans who wanted one from a vendor outside Hampden post-match. I had a chuckle to myself wondering who would buy such nonsense, but I must admit, I now really regret not buying one for a souvenir :greengrin

Ozyhibby
23-07-2016, 07:29 PM
A shame that some are still incredibly bitter about something he may or may not have said as a young lad. He played his part in getting us our last 2 cup finals. He played in wins against Hearts in both 06 and this year.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him back as Manager one day. Hopefully he get the medal he wants if that happens.

With such a poor grasp of the chain of command I would hate to see him undermine George and Leeann.

Dashing Bob S
23-07-2016, 07:34 PM
Always liked Thomson as a player, I agree that he was potentially better than Brown, but injuries hampered his career.

The Ibrox move and comments I never really bothered about. We do, or should, know all about Jackson, the Record and Scottish media's manipulation of everything on behalf of the OF, particularly Rangers. If anybody still can't see that after the SC final, they are, quite frankly, in possession of the sort of IQ's that makes them better suited to the stands of Ibrox and Parkhead, where they can revel in dumbo outrage at being manipulated by this dross.

I thought that it was a mistake bringing him back as he was too slow and held up play with crab-passing, but I watched the Hearts game again, and he played a blinder and helped drag us through that tie.

So yes, he deserves a medal.

we are hibs
23-07-2016, 09:43 PM
He's gone now and good riddance.

dp00
23-07-2016, 09:56 PM

I had a similar conversation with him at the party after the game, he was delighted to be part of the squad which won the cup

Carheenlea
23-07-2016, 10:12 PM

I've always found it odd how we disregard pretty much everything The Daily Record prints as total dross, but a few ghost written comments attributed to Kevin Thomson many years ago in that very rag appears to still be taken as gospel by many Hibs fans. Baffling.

Steve-O
23-07-2016, 10:29 PM
I've always found it odd how we disregard pretty much everything The Daily Record prints as total dross, but a few ghost written comments attributed to Kevin Thomson many years ago in that very rag appears to still be taken as gospel by many Hibs fans. Baffling.

It was his column and he never denied any of it at the time. In fact this thread is the first I've heard it claimed he didn't make the comments.

Always the victim it seems.

Keith Jackson lied.

Butcher hated me.

I got injured.

It wisnae me...

Itsnoteasy
23-07-2016, 10:58 PM
Medals were available to fans who wanted one from a vendor outside Hampden post-match. I had a chuckle to myself wondering who would buy such nonsense, but I must admit, I now really regret not buying one for a souvenir :greengrin

I got one. I wonder if he had to quickly change the stickers on them. Bet he was roond at the Hun end wi 10 mins to go

California-Hibs
23-07-2016, 11:06 PM

Totally disagree with this on so many levels. He was good, yes, but Brown was and IS on another level completely.

Highland_Hibee
23-07-2016, 11:25 PM
Scott Brown was always going to be the better player IMO, what an engine the boy had. I remember in particular the Ibrox game where Ivan got his hattrick. Ivan might have had the three well taken goals but Brown bossed the midfield that day.

GreenNWhiteArmy
23-07-2016, 11:28 PM
Personally I'd love to see everyone who contributed to winning the cup given a medal.... realistically though that's never gonna happen. Kevin played his part in us getting there and he knows that. Just unfortunate on the day/days leading up to it better players were at our disposal.

Maybe this is a bit payback in life for him after the way he left hibs the last time? That's poss a bit harsh to some folk but for a hibs fan, to leave his boyhood heroes where he was club captain with 5 months to go in a season and going strong in BOTH cup competitions (regardless of any personal disputes/fallout with anyone or financial gain - we've all had fallouts with managers at work but 6 months is nothing to get yer head down and potentially leave your own club a legend) is wrong imo. I don't necessarily buy all that nonsense the daily rangers rent a gob came out with but the situation could have been handled better.

What's done is done and all that and I wish Kevin all the best in his career. As a player he's given us a lot of joy

Shrekko
24-07-2016, 12:43 AM

Totally agree with this.

What makes it worse is that some Hibs fans have massively exaggerated what was even printed over the years and he's being crucified for it. Nae need whatsoever.

Deek01
24-07-2016, 04:53 AM
As well as his contributions on both Hearts games he was also magic against ICT at ER.

Eyrie
24-07-2016, 05:33 AM
I disagree and believe it would devalue the medal and would mean nothing to a player who hadn't been involved with the squad on cup final day.Medals should be awarded for the occasion of winning the cup competition not merely being involved early on.

You either get a medal for being involved in the final, or everyone who was named in the squad for any game in the cup run should get one.

Just the cup final squad for me.

Hypothetical scenario.

A team's star striker scores the only goal of the game in each of the earlier rounds but gets injured in training the week before the final and misses out completely. A youngster is added to the bench for the final and doesn't get on the pitch.

Under current rules the youngster that never played gets a medal and the key player in reaching the final doesn't.

By all means restrict the presentation to the match day squad, but the other players should also receive a medal.

It's not that hypothetical as Malonga and Thomson played a more important role than Dagnall in our cup run.

Skyegreen
24-07-2016, 06:25 AM
Loved watching him and Broony when they were young upstarts. I predicted Thommo would go onto greatness but unfortunately injuries hindered him and I don't think he was ever the same player. I don't really care much for some of the stuff he allegedly said before departing to grey skull but he did sign for us again and played for no fee which was quite admirable at the time. I think KT deserves a SC medal but thems are the rules I'm afraid. I would like to thank him for his service and wish the lad all the very best in the future!

Hibrandenburg
24-07-2016, 07:08 AM
Just can't warm to the guy, but that probably says more about me than him.

easty
24-07-2016, 07:28 AM
Hypothetical scenario.

A team's star striker scores the only goal of the game in each of the earlier rounds but gets injured in training the week before the final and misses out completely. A youngster is added to the bench for the final and doesn't get on the pitch.

Under current rules the youngster that never played gets a medal and the key player in reaching the final doesn't.

By all means restrict the presentation to the match day squad, but the other players should also receive a medal.

It's not that hypothetical as Malonga and Thomson played a more important role than Dagnall in our cup run.

In that scenario I wouldn't give the star striker a medal. You get a cup medal for winning the cup final, not for winning in the semi or quarter.

If Daniel Craig ever wins an Oscar for playing Bond, will Sean Connery and Pierce Brosnan be in the Evening News greeting about how they deserve an Oscar too, cos if it wasn't for them Daniel Craig wouldn't have had the chance to be in that film?

CentreLine
24-07-2016, 07:46 AM
Hypothetical scenario.

I suppose Denis Law must have been a bit put out in 1968 and Joe McBride the year before. But they both missed out through injury.

Golden Bear
24-07-2016, 07:49 AM

Absolutely spot on but a few posters have entrenched views and nothing will ever change that unfortunately.

Scouse Hibee
24-07-2016, 07:50 AM
Hypothetical scenario.

If that scenario is supposed to change my mind it doesn't.

Northernhibee
24-07-2016, 08:40 AM
Even when he tries to act all humble he fails badly.

Hero76
24-07-2016, 08:43 AM
Played a massive part in our Scottish cup win the boys oright by me .

Northernhibee
24-07-2016, 08:45 AM

And now he's greeting about how he was more deserving of a medal than other players who earned their place in the cup final squad. Right you are KT, enjoy the crawl to junior level football.

bigwheel
24-07-2016, 09:01 AM
And now he's greeting about how he was more deserving of a medal than other players who earned their place in the cup final squad. Right you are KT, enjoy the crawl to junior level football.

never let the truth get in the way of a good story....KT has never said he was more deserving of a medal than anyone...he simply wishes that Hibs had secured some more for those who played a part in earlier rounds, but didn't play a part in the final...

Honestly, some Hibs fans just love to hate....in my view KT has more than made up for any mistakes he made when he left first time...Do people recall that he played for nothing for a period? Also his header of the line at the PBS kept us in the cup - big respect from me..

I also noticed someone raising dressing room unrest from his time under Butcher..well I hope it's true - because someone needed to stand up to that man who was taking us to an all time low...How he gets pelters for that I'll never know..

Crammond Hibee
24-07-2016, 09:15 AM
I totally agree
Would hibs have won with Thomson in the team that day
I doubt it. Ross County !!!!!!!

It's the finalists who win the game and it's fair that they get the medals.
That's life

heretoday
24-07-2016, 09:22 AM
As said, the fans deserve medals and since he's a fan I suppose he gets one.

But he'll be well back in the queue.

Can't forget that performance against Hamilton at ER. And KT missed a penalty too.

easty
24-07-2016, 09:28 AM
never let the truth get in the way of a good story....KT has never said he was more deserving of a medal than anyone...he simply wishes that Hibs had secured some more for those who played a part in earlier rounds, but didn't play a part in the final...

"I maybe played a bigger part than some of the boys who sat on the bench.”

Is that someone in the media twisting what he's said...again?

Mr White
24-07-2016, 09:38 AM

Na just someone on a fans forum over analysing what he's said... again :greengrin

bigwheel
24-07-2016, 09:44 AM

that might be a fair analysis from KT...but where in that statement does he say he deserves a medal before them?

easty
24-07-2016, 09:48 AM
that might be a fair analysis from KT...but where in that statement does he say he deserves a medal before them?

Wether it's implied or not, that's how I read it.

ancient hibee
24-07-2016, 09:54 AM

Then that's your opinion not what he says.

bigwheel
24-07-2016, 09:55 AM

So did you read the rest of the article when he is more specific ...wishing that Hibs had arranged for more medals, happy to pay for it himself? David Gray supporting his views ?

easty
24-07-2016, 10:14 AM
So did you read the rest of the article when he is more specific ...wishing that Hibs had arranged for more medals, happy to pay for it himself? David Gray supporting his views ?

Aye I read the whole article. You can make out like what he says isn't a bit of a dickish thing to say all you want, I don't care.

easty
24-07-2016, 10:14 AM
Then that's your opinion not what he says.

Aye, in my opinion, that's what he implies.

Ozyhibby
24-07-2016, 10:25 AM

Honestly, some Hibs fans just love to hate....in my view KT has more than made up for any mistakes he made when he left first time...Do people recall that he played for nothing for a period? Also his header of the line at the PBS kept us in the cup - big respect from me..

I also noticed someone raising dressing room unrest from his time under Butcher..well I hope it's true - because someone needed to stand up to that man who was taking us to an all time low...How he gets pelters for that I'll never know..

I brought up Butcher. Butcher was a disaster for this club that we have still to fully recover from. There is no doubt about that and I'm not trying to minimise his role in any way.
However, the players also downed tools and Kevin Thomson was the ring leader. We did not need players walking off during training sessions, having stand up rows at training in the week of the play offs etc.
If Thomson thought Butcher was a dinosaur with disastrous old fashioned tactics ( he was) then perhaps it would have been better not to point it out to him in front of all the young players and undermine him. It set a chain of events which led to complete war between players and management which led to relegation.
We all knew it was happening. It was well documented on here and there were new stories daily about training ground bust ups on the PM board. All I really wanted throughout all that was the players to back down and focus on getting that one win over the last 8 or so games that would have kept us safe. They couldn't do it and it carried on all the way to the Hamilton debacle.
The players did not try a leg on that day. Why would they want success for butcher. Sub consciously or not, they wanted him to fail and they delivered. I have never seen a worse performance from a Hibs team ever. I won't see worse again I hope.
There were others who could have stopped it all. Petrie knew what was going on. He should have sacked Butcher weeks previously.
I didn't want him back a third time and given that the club moved the goal posts on his coaching offer I think it's clear someone at Easter road also decided it was not worth having him around.
I don't hate KT, I wish him well in the future but I don't want him anywhere near Easter road. He may be a Hibs fan but he has never put the club before himself.
He gone now so it doesn't really matter. I understand other hold different views of him. That's fine by me.

500miles
24-07-2016, 10:27 AM
If KT wanted winners medals at hibs, he could have tried a bit harder to get on with John Collins for six months, and definitely won a league cup and maybe a Scottish too.

LaMotta
24-07-2016, 10:33 AM
In that scenario I wouldn't give the star striker a medal. You get a cup medal for winning the cup final, not for winning in the semi or quarter.

If Daniel Craig ever wins an Oscar for playing Bond, will Sean Connery and Pierce Brosnan be in the Evening News greeting about how they deserve an Oscar too, cos if it wasn't for them Daniel Craig wouldn't have had the chance to be in that film?

The Raith Hibs game was the opening scene of the latest bond film. Malonga played a starring role in that scene as the bird that Bond seduces before being killed off as no longer required.

Thomson played an important role in subsequent parts of the movie. And then David Gray starred as Bond in the final scenes to defeat the baddies. Stokes was Q and Stubbs was M. Conrad Logan was the heaving chested Bond girl who was far more useful in battle than you might think on first sight.

Pierce Brosnan was more like Keith Wright and Sean Connery was Pat Stanton in previous films. :)

Mr White
24-07-2016, 10:41 AM
The Raith Hibs game was the opening scene of the latest bond film. Malonga played a starring role in that scene as the bird that Bond seduces before being killed off as no longer required.

Thomson played an important role in subsequent parts of the movie. And then David Gray starred as Bond in the final scenes to defeat the baddies. Stokes was Q and Stubbs was M. Conrad Logan was the heaving chested Bond girl who was far more useful in battle than you might think on first sight.

Pierce Brosnan was more like Keith Wright and Sean Connery was Pat Stanton in previous films. :)

Chick Young was Oddjob.

AgentDaleCooper
24-07-2016, 10:42 AM
his quotes in the daily record are only taken seriously IMO because he has a habit of appearing in the press sounding a bit sorry for himself, rather than just letting his playing do the talking.

he made a massive contribution to our cup win, by keeping us in the tournament, and for that we should be thankful, but all he does by bleating in the press about how hard done by he feels is undermine himself. he's no poor wee lamb, but his conviction of being one is what dilutes his stature amongst hibs fans. frankly, he needs to get over himself and be glad to have seen hibs win the cup. we've never heard riordan complaining about this sort of thing, and we all know what hibs mean to him :aok:

Steve-O
24-07-2016, 11:01 AM
his quotes in the daily record are only taken seriously IMO because he has a habit of appearing in the press sounding a bit sorry for himself, rather than just letting his playing do the talking.

he made a massive contribution to our cup win, by keeping us in the tournament, and for that we should be thankful, but all he does by bleating in the press about how hard done by he feels is undermine himself. he's no poor wee lamb, but his conviction of being one is what dilutes his stature amongst hibs fans. frankly, he needs to get over himself and be glad to have seen hibs win the cup. we've never heard riordan complaining about this sort of thing, and we all know what hibs mean to him :aok:

Agree with it all bar Riordan. Didn't I see an interview with him recently blaming his mates for all his off field antics? Running theme amongst football players that everyone else but them are to blame when things go sour...

bigwheel
24-07-2016, 11:05 AM
I brought up Butcher. Butcher was a disaster for this club that we have still to fully recover from. There is no doubt about that and I'm not trying to minimise his role in any way.
However, the players also downed tools and Kevin Thomson was the ring leader. We did not need players walking off during training sessions, having stand up rows at training in the week of the play offs etc.
If Thomson thought Butcher was a dinosaur with disastrous old fashioned tactics ( he was) then perhaps it would have been better not to point it out to him in front of all the young players and undermine him. It set a chain of events which led to complete war between players and management which led to relegation.
We all knew it was happening. It was well documented on here and there were new stories daily about training ground bust ups on the PM board. All I really wanted throughout all that was the players to back down and focus on getting that one win over the last 8 or so games that would have kept us safe. They couldn't do it and it carried on all the way to the Hamilton debacle.
The players did not try a leg on that day. Why would they want success for butcher. Sub consciously or not, they wanted him to fail and they delivered. I have never seen a worse performance from a Hibs team ever. I won't see worse again I hope.
There were others who could have stopped it all. Petrie knew what was going on. He should have sacked Butcher weeks previously.
I didn't want him back a third time and given that the club moved the goal posts on his coaching offer I think it's clear someone at Easter road also decided it was not worth having him around.
I don't hate KT, I wish him well in the future but I don't want him anywhere near Easter road. He may be a Hibs fan but he has never put the club before himself.
He gone now so it doesn't really matter. I understand other hold different views of him. That's fine by me.

So, let me get this straight...you are saying that Thomson led the players to stop trying and as a result was one of the reasons behind us getting relegated ?

Whilst I've read on the pm board about dust ups and disputes between senior players and Butcher/ Malpas...I've never read what you are suggesting..

All I've heard is that KT , McPake and others from before xmas were standing up against bullying and training ground behaviour with was not helping - subsequently proven to be true...I've never read anywhere that players stopped trying...it is though almost impossible to do your job properly when your management is sucking the soul and motivation from the team...

I'm glad he came back, had he not headed the ball off the line at Tynie, and played well in the replay we likely wouldn't have won the cup..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eyrie
24-07-2016, 11:37 AM
The cups are no different to the leagues in that every game counts towards winning because if you don't win, you're knocked out. Yet league medals are handed out to far more than just those players involved in the decisive game.

:thumbsup:

Iceman1875
24-07-2016, 11:48 AM
Can't believe the stick KT gets on here.

He is a boyhood hibee. Played a successful part in Mowbray's time here and managed to pull £2m into the club from his transfer to Rangers, RIP.

Comments made were taken out of context however, his wages quadrupled going from Hibs to Rangers. Who wouldn't go?

Came back to Hibs and played for free. Stood up to Terry Butcher and was taking out of the first team until it was too late. Had the balls to take a penalty to try and save our club!

In the 3rd spell he has played a part in the club winning the SC after all those years. After leaving Hibs after wanting to continue as some kind of coach, states he wants to become the manager one day - at his boyhood club.

Leave the guy alone, he's been good for us all in and the club has been good for him.

All the best to KT and Tranent this year.

At Easter Road we play...

J-C
24-07-2016, 11:50 AM

He is a boyhood hibee. Played a successful part in Mowbray's time here and managed to pull £2m into the club from his transfer to Rangers, RIP.

Comments made were taken out of context however, his wages quadrupled going from Hibs to Rangers. Who wouldn't go?

Came back to Hibs and played for free. Stood up to Terry Butcher and was taking out of the first team until it was too late. Had the balls to take a penalty to try and save our club!

In the 3rd spell he has played a part in the club winning the SC after all those years. After leaving Hibs after wanting to continue as some kind of coach, states he wants to become the manager one day - at his boyhood club.

Leave the guy alone, he's been good for us all in and the club has been good for him.

:top marks:agree: Well said.

hibsdaft
24-07-2016, 11:57 AM
if he didn't say those things, he could easily have said so publicly at the time.

but instead, he allowed the club to be put through weeks of instability, as our captain. rather than apologise, he seems to think he's been hard done by?

no problem him going to rangers for the £s, it was the way he did it and the failure to take responsibility that i have never liked.

blackpoolhibs
24-07-2016, 12:00 PM
David Murphy went to todays opponents, and if he turns up today to present some award or even just take a wave to the fans.

He will get a hero's welcome from both sets of supporters, i wonder why?

Plus if Thomson was in octopussy, why would he get an oscar for the living daylights?

bigwheel
24-07-2016, 12:05 PM

perfect summary....

Thecat23
24-07-2016, 12:12 PM
Nice lad who's a Hibs fan and got to play for his team.

The hate towards him I don't get myself, more to life than getting whipped into a frenzy because of an article in the EEN.

Maybe folk need to get out more.

easty
24-07-2016, 12:22 PM
The cups are no different to the leagues in that every game counts towards winning because if you don't win, you're knocked out. Yet league medals are handed out to far more than just those players involved in the decisive game.

:thumbsup:

The cups are absolutely different from the league.

confused
24-07-2016, 02:59 PM
I honestly can't understand why the fuss about KT is , he played for us done good job, but move on , he has had his time , get behind the present day team, I don't get the fans who want to pick faults with everything green

stanton_4
24-07-2016, 04:20 PM

Respectfully totally disagree with this. Had certain players not played in earlier rounds (Thomson, Malonga) the players who were lucky enough to be in the squad for the final might never had got that opportunity. I feel pretty sure any player involved on that glorious day would agree with me too.

Crammond Hibee
24-07-2016, 04:25 PM
Respectfully totally disagree with this. Had certain players not played in earlier rounds (Thomson, Malonga) the players who were lucky enough to be in the squad for the final might never had got that opportunity. I feel pretty sure any player involved on that glorious day would agree with me too.

They would
But wouldn't give up their medal
This shouldn't have come up
Move on Kev

Eyrie
24-07-2016, 07:00 PM
The cups are absolutely different from the league.
True - lose to a late winner in a league game and there's always next week to get three points. Lose to a late winner at the PBS because the ball isn't cleared off the line and the cup campaign is over long before the final.

They would
But wouldn't give up their medal
This shouldn't have come up
Move on Kev
No-one is suggesting that a player involved in the squad for the final should miss out on a medal.

However I've still to read a proper reason why players who played in earlier rounds can't receive a medal at a later date, other than that hoary old chestnut that it's not done that way and change must be resisted.

easty
24-07-2016, 07:19 PM
True - lose to a late winner in a league game and there's always next week to get three points. Lose to a late winner at the PBS because the ball isn't cleared off the line and the cup campaign is over long before the final.

No-one is suggesting that a player involved in the squad for the final should miss out on a medal.

However I've still to read a proper reason why players who played in earlier rounds can't receive a medal at a later date, other than that hoary old chestnut that it's not done that way and change must be resisted.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make in the first part of your post. I agree though.

The second part, a proper reason, here you go - cos you get a medal for being involved the final, not for the earlier rounds. That's the reason.

Eyrie
24-07-2016, 07:27 PM
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make in the first part of your post. I agree though.
The point being that you can only reach a cup final due to the efforts of the players who featured in earlier rounds. The final isn't a one-off game but the cumulation of a series of games.

As Victor Park pointed out, the games against Raith and Hearts were the early scenes of the same movie, with the final being the closing scenes where Bond (played by David Gray) kills the bad guys (guess who).

The second part, a proper reason, here you go - cos you get a medal for being involved the final, not for the earlier rounds. That's the reason.
Repeating the fact that it's always been done that way isn't a proper justification.

hibsbollah
24-07-2016, 07:27 PM

Sorry but that doesn't wash. I remember the season well, and the DR ran weekly KT articles penned by Keith Jackson which were obviously destabilising to the club. If KT got a conscience he had plenty of time to influence them to stop running the articles or say something publically. He was totally complicit.

Saying that, it was a long time ago and he's obviously sorry about the situation. Move it on.

Shrekko
24-07-2016, 07:46 PM
Sorry but that doesn't wash. I remember the season well, and the DR ran weekly KT articles penned by Keith Jackson which were obviously destabilising to the club. If KT got a conscience he had plenty of time to influence them to stop running the articles or say something publically. He was totally complicit.

Saying that, it was a long time ago and he's obviously sorry about the situation. Move it on.

Yeah it's time to move on.

It's great that so many on here keep casting all this nonsense up as if it happened yesterday. The guy was 21/22 and in the clutches of the most unscrupulous agent around. Very easy for those who've clearly never made mistakes to put yourself in that position. Utter nonsense to suggest he'd be in a position to rubbish what Jackson was penning at the time and I've never heard a footballer apologise as much as he has for it in later years- some won't listen though and that's not going to change.

Golden Bear
24-07-2016, 07:53 PM
I cringe every time I see a Kevin Thomson thread as you just know that the same old nonsense is going to be dragged up over and over again. It really is time to move on but I'll not hold my breath.

Scouse Hibee
24-07-2016, 09:04 PM

Thankfully the authorities agree with me :-)

Going by your logic a country that wins the World Cup would want medals for every single player that played right down to the qualifiers.

cmcd
24-07-2016, 09:08 PM

Well said

easty
24-07-2016, 09:30 PM
The point being that you can only reach a cup final due to the efforts of the players who featured in earlier rounds. The final isn't a one-off game but the cumulation of a series of games.

As Victor Park pointed out, the games against Raith and Hearts were the early scenes of the same movie, with the final being the closing scenes where Bond (played by David Gray) kills the bad guys (guess who).

Repeating the fact that it's always been done that way isn't a proper justification.

The final is a one off game. It's part of the beauty of cup football. Every round is a one off game. If you reach the final, and play in that one off game, and win, you're rewarded with a cup winners medal.

Moving on from Bond - have you seen Apollo 13, it's based on a true story, the team are preparing to go into space, then Lieutenant Dan gets a little sick, and Forrest Gump decides it's too risky to let him go into space, so they replace him with the dancing guy from Footloose.

Lieutenant Dan has been part of the team in all the preparation for the launch, and then, when Apollo 13 gets into trouble, he helps find a way to bring them home safely. He more than played his part.

Lieutenant Dan didn't go into space though.

Pretty rock solid analogy I reckon. Kevin Thomson is Lieutenant Dan in this one.

LaMotta
24-07-2016, 10:27 PM
Thankfully the authorities agree with me :-)

Going by your logic a country that wins the World Cup would want medals for every single player that played right down to the qualifiers.

Every player in a world cup winning tournament squad gets a medal, regardless if they played in the final though.....

Dashing Bob S
25-07-2016, 12:12 AM
Nice lad who's a Hibs fan and got to play for his team.

The hate towards him I don't get myself, more to life than getting whipped into a frenzy because of an article in the EEN.

Maybe folk need to get out more.

Hear hear!

The Green Goblin
25-07-2016, 07:49 AM
The final is a one off game. It's part of the beauty of cup football. Every round is a one off game. If you reach the final, and play in that one off game, and win, you're rewarded with a cup winners medal.

Moving on from Bond - have you seen Apollo 13, it's based on a true story, the team are preparing to go into space, then Lieutenant Dan gets a little sick, and Forrest Gump decides it's too risky to let him go into space, so they replace him with the dancing guy from Footloose.

Lieutenant Dan has been part of the team in all the preparation for the launch, and then, when Apollo 13 gets into trouble, he helps find a way to bring them home safely. He more than played his part.

Lieutenant Dan didn't go into space though.

Pretty rock solid analogy I reckon. Kevin Thomson is Lieutenant Dan in this one.

Remind me what happens to the actual Lt. Dan again? :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
25-07-2016, 07:56 AM
Every player in a world cup winning tournament squad gets a medal, regardless if they played in the final though.....

And every player in a cup final squad gets a medal regardless of whether they actually play in the final. The tournanent is the finals in the World cup.

easty
25-07-2016, 08:24 AM

After a bit of shrimp boating, and crime scene investigating, he goes into space on Apollo 16. So, instead of whining about what he should have got, he worked hard and got it.

GreenOnions
25-07-2016, 08:42 AM

I agree with this. Thomson, Riordan and Fletcher were the three most gifted out of that group IMHO. Only Fletcher has really reached his potential playing a lot in the EPL. Riordan undermined his own career whilst I think KT has been very unlucky with serious injuries. Without those injuries I think KT would have played regularly in the EPL and been Scotland captain for years instead of Scottie.

southfieldhibby
25-07-2016, 09:11 AM

Dunno about far better, but he was probably technically superior and I preferred him over Brown. I always found it strange, Celtic bought Brown and pretty much turned him into the player Thomo already was. Can mind the night Thomo done his ACL 1st time, was a midweek game and clashed with some Champs League match, pitiful crowd and a proper sickener.

There's no doubt Thomo has a high opinion of himself as a footballer ( with good reason) and there's no doubt he could argue night was day too, but I like him and appreciate the contribution he's made to our football club, warts n'all.

Hibeesmad
25-07-2016, 09:21 AM
He took part in the 2015/16 squad which led us to Scottish Cup glory. Will ALWAYS be a hibs legend

The Green Goblin
25-07-2016, 09:56 AM

After a bit of shrimp boating, and crime scene investigating, he goes into space on Apollo 16. So, instead of whining about what he should have got, he worked hard and got it.

Note the very obvious smiley in my post....and me typing tongue in cheek...and breathe. :agree:

Eyrie
25-07-2016, 10:53 AM
And every player in a cup final squad gets a medal regardless of whether they actually play in the final. The tournanent is the finals in the World cup.

And the tournament for the Scottish Cup is every game played to get to the final and not just the final itself. That was why we had to play fourth, fifth, quarter and semi games in much the same way that that the World Cup finalists have to come through a group, last 16, quarter and semi to reach the final.

Continuing the World Cup analogy would mean that every player in the first team squad gets a medal and not just those who actually play. After all, a player who is in the World Cup 23 gets a medal even if they can't play in the final itself due to injury or suspension.

Scouse Hibee
25-07-2016, 11:26 AM
And the tournament for the Scottish Cup is every game played to get to the final and not just the final itself. That was why we had to play fourth, fifth, quarter and semi games in much the same way that that the World Cup finalists have to come through a group, last 16, quarter and semi to reach the final.

Continuing the World Cup analogy would mean that every player in the first team squad gets a medal and not just those who actually play. After all, a player who is in the World Cup 23 gets a medal even if they can't play in the final itself due to injury or suspension.

You're missing my point, the World Cup finals are where all the teams that have qualified for the final stages get to go to the finals in a certain location, they are picked for the final stages and as such the squad that goes to the finals are entitled to a medal if they win it. Players who have played in the qualifying games but have not been selected for the finals squad do not qualify for a medal.

The qualifiers for the Scottish Cup final are the earlier rounds, players who play in those qualifiers but don't make the final squad don't qualify for a medal either. It all makes perfect sense and seems fair to to me but I respect different opinions. :aok:

hibsdaft
25-07-2016, 11:59 AM

Is he sorry though? I've never seen any sign of that. I agree with the rest of your post though.

LaMotta
25-07-2016, 12:26 PM

What this means is that in the World Cup you could have a player who hasn’t played a minute of competitive football for his country getting a medal.

Whilst in the Scottish Cup you could have potentially the top scorer and best player in the entire tournament getting injured in the semi, missing the final and not getting any recognition at all for his help in overall victory.

I really fail to see how anyone could grudge a player who has played in the campaign a medal, and realistically how much is it going to even cost for 5,6 or however many extra medals?

Anyway I’m away to dream about Conrad Logan as a Bond Girl :hyper

McD
25-07-2016, 12:37 PM
Note the very obvious smiley in my post....and me typing tongue in cheek...and breathe. :agree:

The answer is: The actual "Lt. Dan" in Forrest Gump commits suicide by throwing himself into the harbour.

Im not sure he does. He invests some of forrest's money in Apple, and pitches up at forrest's wedding with 'new legs' and a lady who presumably is his partner. Don't think we see him after that. I could be wrong though :greengrin

The Green Goblin
25-07-2016, 12:53 PM
Im not sure he does. He invests some of forrest's money in Apple, and pitches up at forrest's wedding with 'new legs' and a lady who presumably is his partner. Don't think we see him after that. I could be wrong though :greengrin

Blimey! I just checked and you are spot on!! Good shout. He tries to kill himself though, doesn't he? And Gump saves him...? Is that right? I do remember him throwing himself into the water. Anyone want to settle the argument?

Good correction - cheers. I edited my post. Easty still needs to take a breath though. :greengrin

McD
25-07-2016, 02:23 PM
Blimey! I just checked and you are spot on!! Good shout. He tries to kill himself though, doesn't he? And Gump saves him...? Is that right? I do remember him throwing himself into the water. Anyone want to settle the argument?

Good correction - cheers. I edited my post. Easty still needs to take a breath though. :greengrin

No worries :aok:

i think he's suicidal after getting his legs blown off in Vietnam, and believes it was his destiny to die there, but Gump saved him by carrying him out of the jungle to medical aid. I think it's likely he's well on the way to dying either by suicide or drug overdose when he bumps into Gump again, in New York. When he joins the Shrimping boat, he screams at God during a massive storm, and by the end of that seems to have made his peace with the world, and then jumps off the boat to swim in the ocean 😊

The Green Goblin
25-07-2016, 03:14 PM
No worries :aok:

i think he's suicidal after getting his legs blown off in Vietnam, and believes it was his destiny to die there, but Gump saved him by carrying him out of the jungle to medical aid. I think it's likely he's well on the way to dying either by suicide or drug overdose when he bumps into Gump again, in New York. When he joins the Shrimping boat, he screams at God during a massive storm, and by the end of that seems to have made his peace with the world, and then jumps off the boat to swim in the ocean 

You clearly know the film much better than me! :aok: Isn't it funny? I remembered that moment more than any other from the film, and yet I hadn't remembered it fully or correctly... Oh well, that'll learn me, eh? :wink:

Smartie
25-07-2016, 03:23 PM
Personally I'll never forgive KT for that time he sparked an internet debate about what did and didn't actually happen in the film "Forrest Gump".

easty
25-07-2016, 03:46 PM

Come on GG, surely - despite the lack of smileys - it's pretty clear I wasn't being particularly serious. :aok:

McD
25-07-2016, 04:47 PM
You clearly know the film much better than me! :aok: Isn't it funny? I remembered that moment more than any other from the film, and yet I hadn't remembered it fully or correctly... Oh well, that'll learn me, eh? :wink:

Hahaha no worries mate....I'm just one of these weird people who remembers loads of useless guff, including film scripts and plot lines etc :greengrin

Eyrie
25-07-2016, 05:48 PM
I respect different opinions. :aok:

I knew we'd agree on something eventually :cheers:

The Green Goblin
25-07-2016, 06:00 PM
Come on GG, surely - despite the lack of smileys - it's pretty clear I wasn't being particularly serious. :aok:

Apologies easty. I take those posts back. A woosh moment on my part. No offence intended. :aok:

The Green Goblin
25-07-2016, 06:01 PM
Personally I'll never forgive KT for that time he sparked an internet debate about what did and didn't actually happen in the film "Forrest Gump".

:faf:

McD
25-07-2016, 07:17 PM

:aok::top marks

Heisenberg
20-08-2016, 05:07 PM
Has apparently already left Tranent Juniors.

blackpoolhibs
20-08-2016, 05:08 PM

How's his feet?

Northernhibee
20-08-2016, 05:12 PM

What a top guy. :rolleyes:

HoboHarry
20-08-2016, 05:12 PM
How's his feet?
Bit torn up from broken glass.....

Golden Bear
20-08-2016, 05:15 PM
Aw naw. We'really not off AGAIN?! Time to give it a rest is it not?

Shrekko
20-08-2016, 05:22 PM
Aw naw. We'really not off AGAIN?! Time to give it a rest is it not?
Absolutely brutal eh? Can't believe anyone could still find any 'joke' funny after 10 years.

keep the faith
20-08-2016, 05:23 PM
How's his feet?

Hilarious every time you mention it.......

Wembley67
20-08-2016, 05:30 PM

Take that with a pinch of salt 😊

Pedantic_Hibee
20-08-2016, 06:10 PM
Take that with a pinch of salt 😊

Why?

mjhibby
20-08-2016, 06:15 PM

Strange one. I believe Keith wright is involved there so no surprise kt went there. Tranent always play lovely football at youth level so seemed ideal fit for kt to learn his trade. Maybe he's bowed to the inevitable with his injuries.

Saturday Boy
20-08-2016, 06:17 PM
Kevin was at Olive Bank this afternoon with his kids, watching Musselburgh v. Camelon (a poor 1-1 in the rain)

bigwheel
20-08-2016, 06:19 PM
Seems to be true - story in tomorrow's Scotland on Sunday about it apparently

DaveF
20-08-2016, 06:20 PM
Strange one. I believe Keith wright is involved there so no surprise kt went there. Tranent always play lovely football at youth level so seemed ideal fit for kt to learn his trade. Maybe he's bowed to the inevitable with his injuries.

Is it not Haddington Keith is at?

hibsbollah
20-08-2016, 06:25 PM
Absolutely brutal eh? Can't believe anyone could still find any 'joke' funny after 10 years.

I dunno, I'd go right along the M8 to hear that one again

FitbaFolkKen
20-08-2016, 06:31 PM
https://twitter.com/alan_pattullo/status/767045447542341633

Shrekko
20-08-2016, 06:34 PM
I dunno, I'd go right along the M8 to hear that one again

Yeah but does your poor Mum have enough jobs to fund the trip for you?😴😴😴

eastmainsmsh
20-08-2016, 06:41 PM
Big breeks twads and Yulie sorted them out the other night 👌 How far the hi hi s

hibsbollah
20-08-2016, 06:45 PM
Yeah but does your poor Mum have enough jobs to fund the trip for you?😴😴😴

I always was a bit of a mummy's boy really :boo hoo:

andrew70
20-08-2016, 09:20 PM
Is it not Haddington Keith is at?

He was at Haddington but I believe he followed the management team to Penicuik in the summer.

Breeks is now Haddy gaffer.

ihibs7
20-08-2016, 09:46 PM
He was at Haddington but I believe he followed the management team to Penicuik in the summer.

Breeks is now Haddy gaffer.

That's what I was told; I wasn't there but I believe he was part of the Penicuik management v Bonnyrigg the other night.

hibsbollah
20-08-2016, 10:44 PM
That's what I was told; I wasn't there but I believe he was part of the Penicuik management v Bonnyrigg the other night.

The question is, when Jenny jumps in the pond outside the Lincoln memorial at the anti war protest, does Forrest jump in too or is that just my memory?

Haymaker
21-08-2016, 12:29 AM
The question is, when Jenny jumps in the pond outside the Lincoln memorial at the anti war protest, does Forrest jump in too or is that just my memory?

He does

hibsbollah
21-08-2016, 12:34 AM
He does

So romance isn't dead. Cool.

whats Kevin Thomson doing these days, anyway?

Iceman1875
21-08-2016, 08:00 AM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hibernian/ex-hibs-and-rangers-midfielder-kevin-thomson-quits-tranent-1-4208489

Will be interesting to where he goes next... Peebles rovers?

HibeeMackenzie
21-08-2016, 08:07 AM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hibernian/ex-hibs-and-rangers-midfielder-kevin-thomson-quits-tranent-1-4208489

Somewhere he doesn't think he's bigger than the club

Northernhibee
21-08-2016, 08:58 AM
Somewhere he doesn't think he's bigger than the club

I doubt Barca will want him mind you.

bigell
21-08-2016, 09:05 AM

selkirk with gary o perhaps?,
selkirk are doing terribly btw losing 3 goals a game and plumb last

Billy Whizz
21-08-2016, 09:38 AM
I don't get this Thomson bashing!

Iceman1875
21-08-2016, 09:41 AM

I'm not bashing him... I'm curious to find out where he will end up next...

Gmack7
21-08-2016, 09:42 AM

Nor me, he's said and done a couple of stupid things over a 10 year period, move on

Billy Whizz
21-08-2016, 10:10 AM

Not you specifically, just the general mood on here to Kevin

Iceman1875
21-08-2016, 10:17 AM
Not you specifically, just the general mood on here to Kevin

Completely agree!

Golden Bear
21-08-2016, 10:41 AM

It's the same eight or nine posters who slag the guy on every KT thread and there have been numerous threads over the years. It's all become very predictable and very, very boring.

:yawn:

blackpoolhibs
21-08-2016, 10:44 AM
Steven Whittaker did the same thing as Thompson and went along the M8 to hunbrox, yet he does not get any stick.

I wonder why, well no i don't really.

Danderhall Hibs
21-08-2016, 10:59 AM
Steven Whittaker did the same thing as Thompson and went along the M8 to hunbrox, yet he does not get any stick.

Still got more boos when he came back to ER than Brown did.

Jim44
21-08-2016, 11:05 AM
I, like a lot on here, didn't like the turn of events when KT went to Ibrox. I occasionally contributed to the criticism of him, but when he returned to ER in 2013, i think he built a few bridges. Same when he came back at the start of the year. Why things didn't work out well on his returns to Hibs, I don't know but it takes two to tango. I think we should cut him some slack. We've got a lot more interesting and important things to chat about these days. :dunno:

SunshineOnLeith
21-08-2016, 11:10 AM
It's the same eight or nine posters who slag the guy on every KT thread and there have been numerous threads over the years. It's all become very predictable and very, very boring.

To be fair, he's chucked it in at Tranent only a few weeks after that big interview which this thread was started with, in which he was singing his own praises about taking the step down even though he had heaps of offers, honestly.

It is quite funny.

keep the faith
21-08-2016, 11:13 AM

Will never understand your relentless trawling over every KT thread over the years. He made a mistake but is one of our own. Let it go man.

Smartie
21-08-2016, 11:18 AM

Whittaker conducted himself with a bit more dignity.

I don't have a problem with players leaving us for Rangers as long as we get a fee that represents the player's true value and they express a bit of gratitude towards us for helping them get the move. They're a bigger club with a chance of winning more trophies, earning more money and playing regularly in Europe.

The player just needs to handle the press chatter around the move - Whittaker did this well, Thomson did not.

Having said that, it is ridiculous how long people will hold daft grudges for. Since KT shot his mouth off he's returned to the club twice, played for free and made a significant contribution to a Scottish Cup win. It is ridiculous that people cannot accept that at the very least the slate is wiped clean.

Pretty Boy
21-08-2016, 11:39 AM

I gave up the Kevin Thomson debates when a poster I can't recall said that losing the 2013 cup final to Celtic wasn't all bad because it meant we didn't have to see him lift the trophy in a Hibs top.....

Northernhibee
21-08-2016, 04:48 PM
If Tranent win the Scottish this year will KT be more deserving of a winners medal than those on the subs bench? :greengrin

ronaldo7
21-08-2016, 04:53 PM

Musselburgh Athletic:wink:

MWHIBBIES
21-08-2016, 05:02 PM

I wonder why, well no i don't really.No difference to me. Murray, Riordan, Griffiths, Brown, Caldwell, Thomson, Whitty. All ****ers while they were/are playing for the bigot brothers.

Blackfordhibby
21-08-2016, 05:10 PM
No difference to me. Murray, Riordan, Griffiths, Brown, Caldwell, Thomson, Whitty. All ****ers while they were/are playing for the bigot brothers.

And as for Colin Stein ??????

Winston Ingram
21-08-2016, 05:13 PM

Me neither. It's ****** baffling

Winston Ingram
21-08-2016, 05:16 PM
Whittaker conducted himself with a bit more dignity.

I don't have a problem with players leaving us for Rangers as long as we get a fee that represents the player's true value and they express a bit of gratitude towards us for helping them get the move. They're a bigger club with a chance of winning more trophies, earning more money and playing regularly in Europe.

The player just needs to handle the press chatter around the move - Whittaker did this well, Thomson did not.

Having said that, it is ridiculous how long people will hold daft grudges for. Since KT shot his mouth off he's returned to the club twice, played for free and made a significant contribution to a Scottish Cup win. It is ridiculous that people cannot accept that at the very least the slate is wiped clean.

Brown did worse. Brown actually said he wished he was in the car with Thomson and making the same move. Conducted himself with absolutely no dignity then got a standing ovation when he left.

Ceebs
21-08-2016, 05:31 PM
Me neither. It's ****** baffling

Couldn't agree more, went to the development squad game v Tranent, during the game he came over to where I was standing to speak to one of the young Hibs lad's, came across as an absolute gent, nothing like the Billy big baws some seem to think he is.

Football can be a very short career, I guarantee if someone came along and offered me a life changing salary I know what my decision would be. Unless it was from The Farts 😂😂😂

HappyHanlon
21-08-2016, 05:38 PM
Kevin's burd at the time worked in the newsagents at the top of Mountcastle Drive North. The newsagents was owned by ex hun Sandy Robertson. One day I went in to get my paper and KT's burd was having a jobby or something so Kevin jumped behind the counter and said to me:

"The Evening News is okay but its no Evening Times"

From that day onwards, I fully expected KT to make the move west.

NORTHERNHIBBY
21-08-2016, 07:04 PM
To be fair, he's chucked it in at Tranent only a few weeks after that big interview which this thread was started with, in which he was singing his own praises about taking the step down even though he had heaps of offers, honestly.

It is quite funny.

Think that is where some folk are coming from but KT is one of those subjects where the picture is black or white.

Stantons Angel
21-08-2016, 07:19 PM
Really guys this post is getting a wee bit played out!

So Kevin has left Tranent so what? People that post on here change their jobs willy nilly and nothing is posted about that is their?

Lets just let the guy live his life and get on with it. So some think he left us under a cloud and his media outbursts were rather OTT. I too lost a lot of respect for a young and very talented Hibs supporte, who played for the team he loved, when this happened.

You who haunt him and bring him down one way or another should just take a step back and look at your own lives.... have you never said things that have been misconstrued by others and because of that people have thought bad of you? Its not very nice is it?

In my opinion he is at a crossroads in his life although still so young. He doesnt really know what to do with himself. He has a young family and needs to make money to keep them safe. This is no easy decision to make...... Lets just get of his case and let him move on were ever he decides to go.

GOOD LUCK KEVIN!

21-08-2016, 07:20 PM
Surprised he choice to drop down to Junior level. He could still make it at proffesional level.

Jim44
21-08-2016, 07:31 PM
I mentioned earler that he was a Sportsound pundit at the Dundee V Hamilton match. He was actually quite good. I've read since that he might try his hand in the media. Good luck to him.

BSEJVT
21-08-2016, 08:30 PM
Whatever animosity I had for Kevin after his initial departure has long gone and I wish him all the best for whatever his future holds.

I had no problem with him or his performances in his last 2 spells at ER.

I actually feel quite sorry for the guy,

He is facing what every sportsman of whatever grade eventually faces and that is the fact that old father time and the ravages of injuries and stress that your body takes over the years is curtailing his ability.

Luckily most amateur sports people are able to continue in their employment unaffected and just have to deal with their loss of enjoyment and the dent to their pride.

Professional sports people have the double whammy of needing to find alternative employment too.

As a crap golfer getting worse by the week through similar circumstances he has my every sympathy :-)

Good luck in whatever you do next Kevin.

Northernhibee
21-08-2016, 08:32 PM
Really guys this post is getting a wee bit played out!

So Kevin has left Tranent so what? People that post on here change their jobs willy nilly and nothing is posted about that is their?

Lets just let the guy live his life and get on with it. So some think he left us under a cloud and his media outbursts were rather OTT. I too lost a lot of respect for a young and very talented Hibs supporte, who played for the team he loved, when this happened.

You who haunt him and bring him down one way or another should just take a step back and look at your own lives.... have you never said things that have been misconstrued by others and because of that people have thought bad of you? Its not very nice is it?

In my opinion he is at a crossroads in his life although still so young. He doesnt really know what to do with himself. He has a young family and needs to make money to keep them safe. This is no easy decision to make...... Lets just get of his case and let him move on were ever he decides to go.

GOOD LUCK KEVIN!
Do you disagree with those who dislike Matt Doherty for his comments in the media out of interest?

Humo
21-08-2016, 08:43 PM
Do you disagree with those who dislike Matt Doherty for his comments in the media out of interest?

Is there a monthly thread about Matt Doherty?

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

Dunbar Hibee
22-08-2016, 12:14 AM
**** Kevin Thomson

Northernhibee
22-08-2016, 09:28 AM
Is there a monthly thread about Matt Doherty?

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

Matt Doherty isn't in the headlines every month

northstandhibby
22-08-2016, 09:36 AM
Exactly mate.. I was seeing a bird at the time who knew KT quite well and I spent a bit of time in his company.. When the story broke about the ' broken glass etc ' he swore blind it was ***** and Jackson has fabricated parts of the story to push through the move to the huns.. Uncle Walter had a lot of clout at the time and basically used to tell the journos what to write or Rangers wouldn't be so accessable to the press in those days..

Don't get me wrong he was interested in a move there and who wouldn't be , step up the ladder , better money and European football etc etc..

Are you a pigeon racer or maybe you have budgies or something?

dearie me.

Scouse Hibee
22-08-2016, 10:01 AM
Are you a pigeon racer or maybe you have budgies or something?

dearie me.

Dearie me :rolleyes:

northstandhibby
22-08-2016, 10:04 AM
Dearie me :rolleyes:

What's your problem Scouse?

GGTTH

Scouse Hibee
22-08-2016, 10:52 AM
What's your problem Scouse?

GGTTH

You've obviously never been out with a bird before :greengrin

northstandhibby
22-08-2016, 11:01 AM
You've obviously never been out with a bird before :greengrin

:top marks

silverhibee
22-08-2016, 11:34 AM
No difference to me. Murray, Riordan, Griffiths, Brown, Caldwell, Thomson, Whitty. All ****ers while they were/are playing for the bigot brothers.

You missed out Stanton.

MWHIBBIES
22-08-2016, 11:42 AM
You missed out Stanton.Hard for me to give an opinion on him, I wasn't born for 20 years after he left Hibs :greengrin

Shrekko
22-08-2016, 12:35 PM
These comparisons with him and guys like Whittaker are utterly ridiculous and you know it.

Whittaker chose a different more discrete way to ensure his move but the end result was the same- he wanted to be a Hun desperately. Brown was even keener than KT to leave and handed in a transfer request. Docherty didnt even want to be here in the first place and is a horrible little runt.

Come back and compare when these guys have had 2nd and 3rd spells here because they want to play for Hibs. Throw in a spell without pay to make it realistic.

Seriously, grow up and move on.

jacomo
22-08-2016, 02:43 PM
Whatever animosity I had for Kevin after his initial departure has long gone and I wish him all the best for whatever his future holds.

I had no problem with him or his performances in his last 2 spells at ER.

I actually feel quite sorry for the guy,

He is facing what every sportsman of whatever grade eventually faces and that is the fact that old father time and the ravages of injuries and stress that your body takes over the years is curtailing his ability.

Luckily most amateur sports people are able to continue in their employment unaffected and just have to deal with their loss of enjoyment and the dent to their pride.

Professional sports people have the double whammy of needing to find alternative employment too.

As a crap golfer getting worse by the week through similar circumstances he has my every sympathy :-)

Good luck in whatever you do next Kevin.

Only two players involved with Hibs in both 06/07 and 15/16 seasons - Lewis and Katie.

One has two winners' medals as a Hibs player, the other has none.

Katie was our captain and humiliated us... But Karma put it right.

No need to hold a grudge. :agree:

stantonsboots
22-08-2016, 02:44 PM

However in his pomp Kevin Thomson was a fantastic footballer. I reckon I'll get zero support with this statement but he was a far better footballer than Scott Brown. Had he not had the injuries he had, 2 of which have ender careers, he woulf have made his mark in England imo. When all is said and done he has had a pretty good career and I wish him well.I agree Thomson was a better player than brown at that age

MrRobot
22-08-2016, 02:55 PM
I wish Kevin Thomson nothing but the best in whatever he chooses to do next.

People need to grow up and get over comments he made when he was a daft wee laddie.

Smartie
22-08-2016, 04:07 PM
I agree Thomson was a better player than brown at that age

Different types of player but I'd take Brown every day of the week.

Thomson was probably technically better but I've never seen a player who had the pace, aggression, work-rate, energy and attitude that Brown had when he was with us.

I'm surprised and disappointed Brown never chanced his arm down South and I think his career has been curtailed by the niggly injuries he's picked up along the way too.

They were a good combination though. That day they tore Roy Keane apart was something special.

jacomo
23-08-2016, 08:42 AM
Different types of player but I'd take Brown every day of the week.

Thomson was probably technically better but I've never seen a player who had the pace, aggression, work-rate, energy and attitude that Brown had when he was with us.

I'm surprised and disappointed Brown never chanced his arm down South and I think his career has been curtailed by the niggly injuries he's picked up along the way too.

They were a good combination though. That day they tore Roy Keane apart was something special.

They were indeed a great combo in the middle of the park.

Obviously Rangers saw this too, hence the offer for both of them. Both players tried to engineer the move and it disrupted our season, but at least Hibs didn't roll over.

No wonder Der Hun don't like us.

scoopyboy
23-08-2016, 09:17 AM
Hard for me to give an opinion on him, I wasn't born for 20 years after he left Hibs :greengrin

Chris Killen?

The Green Goblin
24-08-2016, 12:26 PM

And as for Colin Stein ??????

You missed out Stanton.

Chris Killen?

...and Pat McGinlay?

KeithTheHibby
24-08-2016, 12:40 PM
**** Kevin Thomson

Erse.

Oscar T Grouch
24-08-2016, 12:47 PM
**** Kevin Thomson

Especially when he cleared that goal bound shot at the swinery in added on time, when it was 2-2, ken, last season when we went on to win it. I'll never forgive him for that......Oh forget him for that!! :wink:

MWHIBBIES
24-08-2016, 12:53 PM
Chris Killen?Yeah, especially his comments when he left. Bawbag

Pretty Boy
24-08-2016, 12:55 PM
Especially when he cleared that goal bound shot at the swinery in added on time, when it was 2-2, ken, last season when we went on to win it. I'll never forgive him for that......Oh forget him for that!! :wink:

In the words of Darren McGreggor at East Mains a couple of weeks back: 'Thommo saved us big time there'.

G B Young
24-08-2016, 01:08 PM
When I was a kid I was always deeply frustrated when we lost players to bigger clubs, especially the Old Firm. I used to think that if I was lucky enough to play for Hibs I would NEVER sign for Rangers or Celtic, but then you grow up and you just get used to it and accept that any sane person is not going to turn down the chance to triple or quadruple their salary, especially when their career is a short one.

While I still find it frustrating that talented players like Riordan, Brown etc opt for a move to Glasgow rather than taking the chance to further their careers on a bigger stage in England, in the average Scottish footballer's world Celtic and The Rangers remain a big deal. To claim you will never forgive a Hibs player for signing for them is a futile exercise, especially when you consider that Pat Stanton (arguably the most popular player ever to play for us) is among their number.

Personally, I'm grateful to have seen so many very fine Hibs players build their careers at Easter Road and would never wish any of them ill in their future careers...unless they signed for Hearts :wink:

stanton_4
24-08-2016, 01:09 PM
...and Pat McGinlay?

Didier Agathe
Darren Jackson
Kenny Millar
Ulrik Laurson

The list is endless

GreenNWhiteArmy
24-08-2016, 01:35 PM
All the best in your future endeavors Kevin. Thanks for the memories, some good, some bad. and played his part in giving us the best footballing moment of our lives

His time at Hibs is now over, therefore this will be my last post on the guy. Would love KT back as a coach in some capacity in the future but for now i think he needs some time away from the pitch to figure out what his next move is

Oscar T Grouch
24-08-2016, 01:41 PM
In the words of Darren McGreggor at East Mains a couple of weeks back: 'Thommo saved us big time there'.

Precisely, football fans tend to have selective memories. I watched that shot heading toward our goal and though they had grabbed it off us, thankfully KT saved us. Little did I know it would lead to the best day of my life on 21st May 2016 🇳🇬🏆🇳🇬

cmcd
24-08-2016, 03:16 PM
When I was a kid I was always deeply frustrated when we lost players to bigger clubs, especially the Old Firm. I used to think that if I was lucky enough to play for Hibs I would NEVER sign for Rangers or Celtic, but then you grow up and you just get used to it and accept that any sane person is not going to turn down the chance to triple or quadruple their salary, especially when their career is a short one.

While I still find it frustrating that talented players like Riordan, Brown etc opt for a move to Glasgow rather than taking the chance to further their careers on a bigger stage in England, in the average Scottish footballer's world Celtic and The Rangers remain a big deal. To claim you will never forgive a Hibs player for signing for them is a futile exercise, especially when you consider that Pat Stanton (arguably the most popular player ever to play for us) is among their number.

Personally, I'm grateful to have seen so many very fine Hibs players build their careers at Easter Road and would never wish any of them ill in their future careers...unless they signed for Hearts :wink:

Pat Stanton did not want to leave Hibs .Turnbull thought his best days were behind him so swapped him for Jackie Macnamara .The rest is history

Peevemor
24-08-2016, 03:40 PM
Pat Stanton did not want to leave Hibs .Turnbull thought his best days were behind him so swapped him for Jackie Macnamara .The rest is history
Celtic only got a couple of seasons and 30 odd appearances from Pat Stanton whereas Hibs got a great player and servant in Jackie Mac. In hindsight ET got it right.

G B Young
24-08-2016, 04:18 PM

That's true, and some 20 years earlier Gordon Smith left Hibs in similar circumstances. My point was more to illustrate to the poster who claimed to regard all Hibs players who play for the Old Firm as ****ers that you can't really tar them all with the same brush.

hibbybob
25-08-2016, 09:11 PM
Celtic only got a couple of seasons and 30 odd appearances from Pat Stanton whereas Hibs got a great player and servant in Jackie Mac. In hindsight ET got it right.

No! Hibs could have got Jackie for a modest fee.
Selling Pat was a huge mistake.