PDA

View Full Version : Neil Lennon

hibees 7062
21-07-2016, 11:49 PM
DEFIANT NEIL LENNON: I'M PROUD OF MY HIBS PLAYERS NEIL LENNON spoke of his pride as Hibs lost a nerve-shredding penalty shootout to Brondby.
... Skipper David Gray scored the only goal to force extra-time then penalties.
But John McGinn watched his spot-kick saved as Brondby won the shootout.
Boss Lennon, who watched from the stands, said: “I am proud of them and pleased with the boys because they did exactly what we set out to do which was to win the game.
Without poor officials in the first tie last week, we would have been through.
“Any luck in this tie went against us.
“But I can’t speak highly enough of my team — they were outstanding.
“To come away from home and to lose by a shootout is hard to take. As a team, we need to start things from here.
“It’s a fantastic start to take Brondby all the way at such an early stage.
“We deserved to win and we should be heading to Hertha Berlin in the next round. It’s a good platform to begin with.
“I didn’t have many wins away from home with Celtic in Europe. I could see the players were running on fumes, but this will give them a lot of belief.
“They showed tremendous character and Paul Hanlon — in both games — was head and shoulders above the rest. He was outstanding.”
Lennon handed a debut to rookie keeper Ross Laidlaw, and he kept a clean sheet during 120 minutes of the second leg.
But the former Raith kid couldn’t stop any of Brondby’s spot-kicks as the Danes converted all five, with McGinn’s early miss proving costly for Hibs.
Lenny added: “Ross was my call and it was the right call. He had a superb game, dealt with whatever he had to deal with, and was unlucky not to save any of the penalties.
“It was just bad luck. I don’t think you can talk about villains after a night like this, we were absolutely brilliant and did the fans here proud.”
Scorer Gray faces ten days out with a shoulder knock which forced him off. :top marks

Highland_Hibee
22-07-2016, 12:06 AM
I want to like Lennon and I think he will do a good job as our manager. I just don't want to hear him dragging on about every decision that cost us whenever we lose. That is an Old Firm thing. Ultimately 2 goals tonight had to be our aim and we didn't do that in 120 mins. We KNOW we were unlucky.

Pete
22-07-2016, 12:57 AM
I want to like Lennon and I think he will do a good job as our manager. I just don't want to hear him dragging on about every decision that cost us whenever we lose. That is an Old Firm thing. Ultimately 2 goals tonight had to be our aim and we didn't do that in 120 mins. We KNOW we were unlucky.

No offence but what are you on about? Talking about horrendous decisions is something every manager does and has nothing to do with the "old firm". I'd rather he piped up than sat there saying nothing. It's as if people are considering his past employment a little too much when forming opinions.

Not sure what your last sentence means but are you seriously trying to classify tonight's efforts and result as some sort of failure because we didn't score two goals? Staggering. If you want to see what failure looks like look over the road.

hibs0666
22-07-2016, 01:10 AM

Blether.

Highland_Hibee
22-07-2016, 01:31 AM
No offence but what are you on about? Talking about horrendous decisions is something every manager does and has nothing to do with the "old firm". I'd rather he piped up than sat there saying nothing. It's as if people are considering his past employment a little too much when forming opinions.

Not sure what your last sentence means but are you seriously trying to classify tonight's efforts and result as some sort of failure because we didn't score two goals? Staggering. If you want to see what failure looks like look over the road.

My issue is once the heat of the moment dies down and you serve your time in the stand and the results are confirmed maybe don't bring up the same things that got you your ban in the first place. Maybe I am guilty of considering his "past employment" too much but you can't deny he has previous.

I said at the time that I would rather see my teams manager sent to the stands than to sit back and accept a dubious call btw.

Dashing Bob S
22-07-2016, 02:46 AM
My issue is once the heat of the moment dies down and you serve your time in the stand and the results are confirmed maybe don't bring up the same things that got you your ban in the first place. Maybe I am guilty of considering his "past employment" too much but you can't deny he has previous.

I said at the time that I would rather see my teams manager sent to the stands than to sit back and accept a dubious call btw.

I disagree. In the past we've too often been a soft touch pussying out of making a fuss when decisions go against us, citing a spurious 'dignity'. Unfortunately there is that old saying "the quiet bairn gets nowt." It's about time the culture of the club changed and we were more abrasive and challenging in the face of poor decisions. It's time to stop trying to be the nice guys who win popularity contests but nothing else. Lennon's attitude exactly what this club needs.

southern hibby
22-07-2016, 03:05 AM
I disagree. In the past we've too often been a soft touch pussying out of making a fuss when decisions go against us, citing a spurious 'dignity'. Unfortunately there is that old saying "the quiet bairn gets nowt." It's about time the culture of the club changed and we were more abrasive and challenging in the face of poor decisions. It's time to stop trying to be the nice guys who win popularity contests but nothing else. Lennon's attitude exactly what this club needs.

100% this

GGTTH

HIBERNIAN-0762
22-07-2016, 06:30 AM

What utter nonsense, so you want a manager who doesn't complain about poor decisions? A soft manager is all we need.

Santa Cruz
22-07-2016, 06:42 AM
I think that every team who plays us this season will fear us, including whoever gets us in the cups.

Ozyhibby
22-07-2016, 06:49 AM
Neil Lennon's attitude is fantastic. I couldn't give a monkeys who he upsets. It's time we start to put winning above all else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enough said
22-07-2016, 06:52 AM
Can't believe you have just said that.... Heard it all now...

JeMeSouviens
22-07-2016, 07:03 AM

That is a winners thing. Let every official about to ref us know we won't take any ****. Alex Ferguson is the past master, would you have turned your nose up at him too?

Argylehibby
22-07-2016, 07:11 AM

Not talking about these decisions last year went a long way to costing us the play off game against Falkirk.

Houston went on and on about a penalty and we said nothing about the many dodgy decisions against us in the games against them. If the ref knows he's going to be slated in the press then it has to play on their mind and their decision making.

I'm a delighted we are going to start pointing out where we get a raw deal.

Aldo
22-07-2016, 07:20 AM

I totally disagree.

I want him and the team to show they won't be bullied by anyone and I mean anyone.

Lemons attitude is spot on..... He wants to win everything and if it doesn't go the teams way then he will say it how it is.

No more Mr Nice Guys

CorrieHibs
22-07-2016, 07:24 AM

Lennon is spot on. Bad referring did cost us a historical victory.

The old Hibs would of accepted that. I'm glad we have Lennon fighting our corner and telling the media how it is.

lucky
22-07-2016, 07:31 AM
Lennon is a winner and will drive us on. He is spot on the officials were very poor last week. It has cost us a lot off money. Gutted not to be going to Berlin next week

Finn2015
22-07-2016, 08:05 AM

Exactly👍

Craig_in_Prague
22-07-2016, 08:24 AM
A tremendous coup getting NL (whilst in the Championship in particular), but on the back of the SC win, it keeps the club progressing.

A very knowledgeable football man and he'll add the necessary steel to the team, absolutely thrilled we have him as our manager - I can't wait for the league now, Hibs mean business!

Diclonius
22-07-2016, 08:24 AM

It isn't an OF thing, it's a winners thing. All the top managers moan about refs (Ferguson, Mourinho etc), it creates a siege mentality and added motivation against ****ty defensive teams.

Keith_M
22-07-2016, 08:26 AM
I might disagree with it but surely Highland Hibee is entitled to his opinion.

highland hibbee
22-07-2016, 08:36 AM
Neil Lennon's attitude is fantastic. I couldn't give a monkeys who he upsets. It's time we start to put winning above all else.

Absolutely. I couldn't stand Lennon as a player or Manager, because he had the exact attributes my team didn't have, or if they did they didn't show. A winner. A bad loser. That's what I want at Hibs. I still can't believe that we managed to get Neil to Hibs. GGTTH

Oscar T Grouch
22-07-2016, 08:40 AM
I might disagree with it but surely Highland Hibee is entitled to his opinion.

Of course he's entitled to an opinion and in the same respect others are allowed to tell him that opinion is wrong, in their opinion 😉

hibsbollah
22-07-2016, 08:41 AM
I couldn't stand him as a Celtc player or manager. I was just watching his interview on you tube when he was at Celtc and just lost to Killie in the cup final. My reaction then was 'what a soorfaced obnoxious prick'. Blaming the officials, giving killie no credit, a bit of sarcasm etc etc.

Now he's at Hibs and calling out refs and showing an attitude, I think he's great. Rampant hypocrisy but I don't care.

Cabbage East
22-07-2016, 08:41 AM

Disagree completely.

bigwheel
22-07-2016, 08:42 AM

He is just giving his assessment of what affected the outcome. What is wrong with that?

Shrekko
22-07-2016, 08:50 AM
The appointment of Neil Lennon at this time in our history couldn't be any more perfect. He's going to do a great job- he's doing it already. I cant wait to watch this team every week.

Brightside
22-07-2016, 08:51 AM
lennons comments about Paul Hanlon prove to me now that the guy is a genius. 😘

Fisherrow Harp
22-07-2016, 08:58 AM
Agree with this completely. For too long we have been the soft touch, time there was a bit grit in the club top to bottom, I like his attitude he is a winner. 👍

Dr Jimmy
22-07-2016, 09:19 AM

Could not agree more. :top marks

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
22-07-2016, 09:43 AM

I disagree.

Ive said a few times before we are too nice, and we are too quick and easy to take decisions lying down. We should be piling pressure onto refs to try amd get in their heads - other teams do it to us, notably falkirk last season amd it worked fpr them.

We shpuldnt let anyone push us around.

ancient hibee
22-07-2016, 09:46 AM
Somebody said(an American coach I think) "show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser". Spot on.

H18 SFR
22-07-2016, 09:46 AM

You have a weak mentality. Success in football reqiures a robust mentality, there is no room for weakness. You are the weakest link, goodbye.

mjhibby
22-07-2016, 09:48 AM
I disagree.

Ive said a few times before we are too nice, and we are too quick and easy to take decisions lying down. We should be piling pressure onto refs to try amd get in their heads - other teams do it to us, notably falkirk last season amd it worked fpr them.

We shpuldnt let anyone push us around.

Agreed for the most part. Let's just get results though and then worry about the ref. Defence looks solid and just a wide player,striker and keeper and we must be very strong favourites to win. We didn't expect to get a euro tie after we lost the play off last year so it was a bonus plus about £300,000 in the bank. Roll on the start of the season.

gillythehibby
22-07-2016, 09:52 AM

Nah canny have this. Take Lenny any day of the week. He's going to be the difference for those players. Takes no **** and tells it how it is. Will accept nothing less than Hibs being promoted. I'll take his "moaning" every week thanks :wink:

MurrayfieldHibs
22-07-2016, 09:55 AM
I couldn't stand him as a Celtc player or manager. I was just watching his interview on you tube when he was at Celtc and just lost to Killie in the cup final. My reaction then was 'what a soorfaced obnoxious prick'. Blaming the officials, giving killie no credit, a bit of sarcasm etc etc.

Now he's at Hibs and calling out refs and showing an attitude, I think he's great. Rampant hypocrisy but I don't care.

:agree::aok:

Eyrie
22-07-2016, 10:21 AM

There is a clear difference however.

At Celtc he never gave any credit to victorious opponents but tried to deflect attention from his side being poor by accusing the officials of incompetence, which made him the Ginger Whinger. That is a standard tactic that the Old Firm used and that the team that wants to be Rangers bought for £1 from the liquidators of Huns RIP.

Lennon is now the Hibs boss and I expect him to give an honest assessment of what happened during a game. In this tie there was very little between the two teams except for two errors - one by our rookie keeper who was caught cold and the other by the officials in denying Cummings a clear goal.

I'll only criticise Lennon when he tries to blame marginal refereeing decisions to cover up for poor tactics and performance.

Highland_Hibee
22-07-2016, 10:35 AM
You have a weak mentality. Success in football reqiures a robust mentality, there is no room for weakness. You are the weakest link, goodbye.

Cute. I have enough success outside football to know that putting value into honesty and integrity can get you where you want to be. The same attitude that is shared with the team that just won us the Scottish Cup btw. Continuing to whinge about things after all is done has no history of getting decisions overturned. I'm not going to compromise my morals just because Lennon is now our manager. Never been a fan of Lennon so you must forgive me that it might take a while for me to warm to him. It will be interesting to see where this "win at all costs" mentality takes us though.

Phil MaGlass
22-07-2016, 11:43 AM
With his attitude we wiil pi55 this league. Nobody to fear.could be another great year. The Scottish cup is in the bag😎

matty_f
22-07-2016, 11:53 AM
Lennon's attitude is fine by me. He wants to win, he's more than entitled to complain about a decision that stopped his side progressing in a competition and prevented us from benefiting from the income that progress would bring.

Who wouldn't want a manager fighting our corner? Mental.

--------
22-07-2016, 12:14 PM
Lennon's attitude is fine by me. He wants to win, he's more than entitled to complain about a decision that stopped his side progressing in a competition and prevented us from benefiting from the income that progress would bring.

Yup.

Gentlemanly sportsmanship's all very well, but it very easily leads to you getting walked over.

The game's about winning, and Hibs need to be very competitive this season. I liked Stubbs - he was a very good coach IMO - but so far I've been very impressed by Neil's attitude.

FWIW, I was watching the West Indies playing India in the Test match in Antigua last night.

Apparently their bowling coach had told the bowlers to "have patience and wait for the Indian batsmen to make mistakes". Result - Kohli 143 not out, India 4 down for 302, and the Windies deep in the doodoo.

Viv Richards was commentating, and trying very hard to be polite, but what he was thinking was clear as day. What Joel Garner or Malcolm Marshall would have thought of that approach would be unrepeatable.

Patience may be a virtue, but a sports team needs balls and a backbone as well.

Pretty Boy
22-07-2016, 12:15 PM
If Lennon starts moaning about marginal refereeing decisions because we get turned over by Dumbarton or somebody to cover tor his own failings then I'll criticise him.

When he gives an honest assessment of a game against decent opposition and fights our corner then he's fine by me. I'm already impressed by the job he is doing and can't wait for the league season to start now.

NAE NOOKIE
22-07-2016, 12:32 PM
Its so far so good for me as far as NL goes. He was always a feisty moaning get as a player and a manager, why would anybody expect that to change? His comments about the officials in the first leg were bang on, they were rank and undoubtedly made a huge contribution to us losing the tie.

What I do like so far is that we appear to be just as much, if not even more, of an attacking side than we were under Stubbs, every thought seems to be to play the ball forward with barely a sideways pass and we do it without resorting to hoofball. The only mistake he appears to have made so far is dithering over the goalkeeper position, so much so that in both legs we had two different relatively inexperienced keepers making their full debuts for the club .... though the lad Laidlaw did OK last night to be fair.

Our next competitive game is Falkirk away and on paper its one of our toughest games of the season .... the one thing I don't want to see is the players thinking that two good performances against a team capable of being top 3 at least in our premiership allows them to turn up at Falkirk thinking they can ease off a bit, Falkirk will make it just as tough as Brondby did and we need to be ready ......... Get a result in that game and it sets our season up and I will seriously think Lennon is just the guy for us.

KeithTheHibby
22-07-2016, 01:08 PM

Have you ever heard Ferguson or Mourinho after decisions don't go there way? I would rather that than have a manager who says nothing when it comes to decisions that go against them. Nothing to do with the old firm.

Scott Allan Key
22-07-2016, 01:42 PM
Lennon was also able to criticise the error and drop the goalkeeper. I'd like to think he may get backing as a young keeper but will know he'll need to improve to play in Hibs first team. At least it is likely that a goalie is going to be a priority signing. Harsh but fair on his team and officials. Without the errors, we would have won game by 2 clear goals before extra time. It is fair to point that out given the performance of his team. They can only play how he asked them to within the regulations of the game.

H18 SFR
22-07-2016, 01:49 PM
Cute. I have enough success outside football to know that putting value into honesty and integrity can get you where you want to be. The same attitude that is shared with the team that just won us the Scottish Cup btw. Continuing to whinge about things after all is done has no history of getting decisions overturned. I'm not going to compromise my morals just because Lennon is now our manager. Never been a fan of Lennon so you must forgive me that it might take a while for me to warm to him. It will be interesting to see where this "win at all costs" mentality takes us though.

It will take us to the SPFL Premiership.

Cosmic Truth
22-07-2016, 06:45 PM

In fairness, it's not often a Rangers thing, as they rarely have bad decisions made against them to moan about.

If referees, especially the huns with whistles in Scotland, know they can shaft teams without any complaint, they'll do it. If games are live on TV, with umpteen replays, and they know if they make bad decisions against Hibs they will be called out on it, refs might think twice before making bizarre decisions against Hibs.

Hibs are currently a Scottish championship side, and they went to Denmark and beat a team who were 4th in the Danish Superliga. I'd say that was something to be proud of. I think Lennon has got off to a great start. Let's hope he can keep it up.

Don't let zombies with typewriters influence you. Our media desperately tries to court the Rangers support. Even when he was attacked in the street, "Hearts fan Ewan Cameron made out he brought it on himself . Walter Smith got his poodles in the media to say things like "It's my understanding that Walter is privately seething, but won't take this any further" etc. With Lennon what you see is what you get. If he feels he's been short changed., he'll speak out about it. I would rather have someone who is straight, and says what he really thinks, than someone who hides behind people like Chick Young etc, and get's them to moan for him, while trying to claim a, ludicrous veneer of "Dignity". Look at the way Neil Lennon is liked by people in England, and is often a pundit on TV down south, but hated up here. There must be a reason for that. It's not as if he undergoes a sinister personality change whenever he crosses the border into Scotland.

Why not give the guy a chance? You never know, he might turn out to be a good manager for Hibs. He did a decent job when he was at Celtic.

Cosmic Truth
22-07-2016, 06:48 PM

Spot on.

Cosmic Truth
22-07-2016, 06:50 PM
Somebody said(an American coach I think) "show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser". Spot on.

This.

Highland_Hibee
22-07-2016, 11:46 PM
Why not give the guy a chance? You never know, he might turn out to be a good manager for Hibs. He did a decent job when he was at Celtic.

I have not said I do not rate him as a manager. I'm happy to say he was the best option available to Hibs after an untimely departure from Stubbs. I'm also delighted that he has come straight in and identified how important Hanlon and Cummings are to us. I do not hate the guy, he has been through a lot and is expected to just take it on the chin and I can respect him for being the fighter he is. There are just aspects of his character that I do not agree with and it is just going to take me a little time to get used to him being our boss. If Hibs continue to play attractive football and we go up and then some I'm sure Lennon being in charge will be the least of my concerns.

JimBHibees
23-07-2016, 07:35 AM
Yup.

Gentlemanly sportsmanship's all very well, but it very easily leads to you getting walked over.

The game's about winning, and Hibs need to be very competitive this season. I liked Stubbs - he was a very good coach IMO - but so far I've been very impressed by Neil's attitude.

FWIW, I was watching the West Indies playing India in the Test match in Antigua last night.

Apparently their bowling coach had told the bowlers to "have patience and wait for the Indian batsmen to make mistakes". Result - Kohli 143 not out, India 4 down for 302, and the Windies deep in the doodoo.

Viv Richards was commentating, and trying very hard to be polite, but what he was thinking was clear as day. What Joel Garner or Malcolm Marshall would have thought of that approach would be unrepeatable.

Patience may be a virtue, but a sports team needs balls and a backbone as well.

Sir Viv one of my sporting heroes loved watching him play. :aok:

As for Neil very impressed by him and have absolutely no issue with him telling refs how it is.

Aldo
23-07-2016, 08:31 AM
I have not said I do not rate him as a manager. I'm happy to say he was the best option available to Hibs after an untimely departure from Stubbs. I'm also delighted that he has come straight in and identified how important Hanlon and Cummings are to us. I do not hate the guy, he has been through a lot and is expected to just take it on the chin and I can respect him for being the fighter he is. There are just aspects of his character that I do not agree with and it is just going to take me a little time to get used to him being our boss. If Hibs continue to play attractive football and we go up and then some I'm sure Lennon being in charge will be the least of my concerns.

Best option available eh!!! Getting Lennon in as manager was/is an absolute master stroke by the club. Who were you actually expecting us to get in if you think this.

As for attractive football.... I am only interested in getting out of this division and I don't care how.... Attractive football is secondary to 3 points every week IMHO!

CRAZYHIBBY
23-07-2016, 08:34 AM
Benni mcarthy is coming back to work with lennon.....its on newsnow site

Aldo
23-07-2016, 08:35 AM
Benni mcarthy is coming back to work with lennon.....its on newsnow site

Can only benefit the club IMHO! Wealth of experience!

NORTHERNHIBBY
23-07-2016, 08:53 AM
Think that the OP has a point in that it is definitely an Old Firm behaviour to point the reason for defeats at everyone else and refuse to accept any responsibility. The whole conspiracy theme is Celtcs mission statement. Over the two games though we were hard done by and there is nothing wrong with pointing that out. Equally where and when we are beaten by a better side on the day I don't think that there is anything wrong with saying that either.

Highland_Hibee
23-07-2016, 10:37 AM
Best option available eh!!! Getting Lennon in as manager was/is an absolute master stroke by the club. Who were you actually expecting us to get in if you think this.

As for attractive football.... I am only interested in getting out of this division and I don't care how.... Attractive football is secondary to 3 points every week IMHO!

I've admitted he was the best option available what more do you want from me? I'm glad you believe it is such a monumental appointment in our clubs history and I hope you are right as I want nothing but continued success for our football club.

No disrespect to the teams we face but we should be playing most teams off the park in this division and winning comfortably along with it. If we were to go up by artlessly hoofing the ball up field I would personally not feel I've had value for money on my season ticket but each to their own.

Baw187
23-07-2016, 10:44 AM
In fairness, it's not often a Rangers thing, as they rarely have bad decisions made against them to moan about.

If referees, especially the huns with whistles in Scotland, know they can shaft teams without any complaint, they'll do it. If games are live on TV, with umpteen replays, and they know if they make bad decisions against Hibs they will be called out on it, refs might think twice before making bizarre decisions against Hibs.

Hibs are currently a Scottish championship side, and they went to Denmark and beat a team who were 4th in the Danish Superliga. I'd say that was something to be proud of. I think Lennon has got off to a great start. Let's hope he can keep it up.

Don't let zombies with typewriters influence you. Our media desperately tries to court the Rangers support. Even when he was attacked in the street, "Hearts fan Ewan Cameron made out he brought it on himself . Walter Smith got his poodles in the media to say things like "It's my understanding that Walter is privately seething, but won't take this any further" etc. With Lennon what you see is what you get. If he feels he's been short changed., he'll speak out about it. I would rather have someone who is straight, and says what he really thinks, than someone who hides behind people like Chick Young etc, and get's them to moan for him, while trying to claim a, ludicrous veneer of "Dignity". Look at the way Neil Lennon is liked by people in England, and is often a pundit on TV down south, but hated up here. There must be a reason for that. It's not as if he undergoes a sinister personality change whenever he crosses the border into Scotland.

Not sure he's universally like in England. I am currently at my in laws in Ashington, Northumberland and had 4 blokes in the boozer last night saying they didn't like him or his attitude one bit. That was 4/4 I spoke to by the way!

I personally like the way he is now that he is in our corner and think his way is exactly what we need to realise the potential of the talented team Stubbs pulled together. Stubbs developed the team so far and Lennon will take us to the next level because, like many have said, he's a winner who breeds a winning mentality.

ekhibee
23-07-2016, 10:44 AM
Think that the OP has a point in that it is definitely an Old Firm behaviour to point the reason for defeats at everyone else and refuse to accept any responsibility. The whole conspiracy theme is Celtcs mission statement. Over the two games though we were hard done by and there is nothing wrong with pointing that out. Equally where and when we are beaten by a better side on the day I don't think that there is anything wrong with saying that either.
As far as accepting responsibility is concerned, that surely only matters when that happens to Hibs? It hasn't happened yet. And for years people on here have complained rightly about a whole catalogue of woeful decisions by officials that benefit the opposing team- but the club/management say virtually nothing. Now we've got a manager who will defend our corner off the park as well as making sure we get promoted, who will fight back when the likes of Houston and Preston get plenty of free air time to express their views on a national, and supposedly neutral radio station. We've been turning the other cheek far too long in my opinion. Totally agree with your last sentence though, wholeheartedly.

hibsbollah
23-07-2016, 10:50 AM
Not sure he's universally like in England. I am currently at my in laws in Ashington, Northumberland and had 4 blokes in the boozer last night saying they didn't like him or his attitude one bit. That was 4/4 I spoke to by the way!

I personally like the way he is now that he is in our corner and think his way is exactly what we need to realise the potential of the talented team Stubbs pulled together. Stubbs developed the team so far and Lennon will take us to the next level because, like many have said, he's a winner who breeds a winning mentality.

Ashingtons not really England though is it?

Baw187
23-07-2016, 10:51 AM
Ashingtons not really England though is it?

Ha ha!! They dispute that vigorously but I have told them that for many years.

hibsbollah
23-07-2016, 11:10 AM
Ha ha!! They dispute that vigorously but I have told them that for many years.

They still point and stare when they see an aeroplane :greengrin

Baw187
23-07-2016, 11:11 AM

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] Absolutely!

seanoheimhin
23-07-2016, 11:22 AM

This

Aldo
23-07-2016, 11:27 AM
I've admitted he was the best option available what more do you want from me? I'm glad you believe it is such a monumental appointment in our clubs history and I hope you are right as I want nothing but continued success for our football club. No disrespect to the teams we face but we should be playing most teams off the park in this division and winning comfortably along with it. If we were to go up by artlessly hoofing the ball up field I would personally not feel I've had value for money on my season ticket but each to their own.

You have to admit though you didn't expect to get NL as Hibs manager hence my comment about 'best available' !

As for playing teams off the park, we tried that and it didn't work' I will admit that Stubbs and his tactical ineptness in these games cost us but there comes a time when winning ugly is more important than pretty tippy tappy football!

As I have mentioned promotion is the most important thing this season and if it means winning ugly then so be it!

As for value for money!!!! I'm sure you'd rather see us win every week then scrap about for draws etc playing tippy tappy nice Football!!

FWIW I'd love to see us do it in style but that's not important. I just want to win

Jdawg
23-07-2016, 11:59 AM
I was never much of a fan of NL when he was at Celtic.

Then, I really enjoyed his punditry. Very insightful and says it how it is.

Since he became our manager I have been really impressed with every statement he has made and all the interviews in the media and on Hibs TV.

Loved it when he said you don't get a pat on the back for beating Dumbarton, you get that when you win the league.

Hibs shouldn't be a soft touch and that comes from the top of the club downwards.

He was correct, refereeing in first Brondby game was awful, he was correct to come out and say that.

Our team looks tougher already.

I look forward to him putting that bitter yam fud Houston in his place this season, both on and off the pitch.

Cosmic Truth
23-07-2016, 01:42 PM

I meant he seems to be well liked by people who know him, and invite him onto TV channels to discuss football. I didn't mean every football fans in England liked him. People who are winners tend not to be liked by opposition fans, and loved by their own support.

Were these guys from Northumberland Newcastle supporters by any chance? Maybe they were trying to justify Alan Shearer kicking Lennon in the face during a game in the 90's. Iirc, Shearer threw a queenie fit, and threatened the English FA that he wouldn't go to the 98 World Cup in they charged him, and the FA, disgracefully, backed down.

Lennon will upset a few people up here because he doesn't take kindly to losing. The fact that he's in the country will anger plenty of bigots into the bargain.

I may be wrong, but I think he'll be a cracking appointment. Let's hope he so.

Baw187
23-07-2016, 01:43 PM
I meant he seems to be well liked by people who know him, and invite him onto TV channels to discuss football. I didn't mean every football fans in England liked him. People who are winners tend not to be liked by opposition fans, and loved by their own support.

Were these guys from Northumberland Newcastle supporters by any chance? Maybe they were trying to justify Alan Shearer kicking Lennon in the face during a game in the 90's. Iirc, Shearer threw a queenie fit, and threatened the English FA that he wouldn't go to the 98 World Cup in they charged him, and the FA, disgracefully, backed down.

Lennon will upset a few people up here because he doesn't take kindly to losing. The fact that he's in the country will anger plenty of bigots into the bargain.

I may be wrong, but I think he'll be a cracking appointment. Let's hope he so.

Yeah, digging deeper the Shearer incident sounds like it had something to do with their angst! [emoji23][emoji23]

Cosmic Truth
23-07-2016, 01:55 PM

Can you give instances where a team of Lennon's have been beaten by the better team, and he's moaned for the sake of it? Even if your side is comprehensively outplayed in a game, if they are denied victory, or a draw, buy a bad decision, the manger has the right to speak out about it.

Scottish football has been a hun fest for decades. Huns with whistles, and blazers, have done their utmost to help out Rangers. Hibs were denied a stonewall penalty in the last minute of the 1979 Scottish Cup final. There's no guarantee it would have been converted, but it would have been a great chance to win the cup. McGinlay somehow managed to miss it. Years later he bragged at an after dinner speech about how he did everything to help out Rangers.

Maybe if more people had spoken out in the past, instead of slavishly following the party line that our referees are incapable of any bias whatsoever, even to the teams they support, things might have ben a tad more difficult for Rangers supporting refs to cheat teams?

Cosmic Truth
23-07-2016, 01:58 PM
Yeah, digging deeper the Shearer incident sounds like it had something to do with their angst! [emoji23][emoji23]

Like I said, payers, and managers, who are winners, tend not to be liked by opposition fans.

Ferguson, and Mourinho, are winners, and they moan like ****. They won't be liked by opposition supporters, but they will be absolutely loved by their own support.

I bet Roy Keane is despised by supporters up and down England, but I bet every single one of them, would have wanted him in their team when he was at his peak.

aussie_hibee
23-07-2016, 02:00 PM
Like I said, payers, and managers, who are winners, tend not to be liked by opposition fans.

Ferguson, and Mourinho, are winners, and they moan like ****. They won't be liked by opposition supporters, but they will be absolutely loved by their own support.

I bet Roy Keane is despised by supporters up and down England, but I bet every single one of them, would have wanted him in their team when he was at his peak.

Bang on the money

Cosmic Truth
23-07-2016, 02:24 PM

:tee hee:

Cosmic Truth
23-07-2016, 02:28 PM
Bang on the money

Thanks. :greengrin

Gmack7
23-07-2016, 02:45 PM
NL is in the studio for today's sellick game.SS4 i think

Highland_Hibee
23-07-2016, 03:56 PM
You have to admit though you didn't expect to get NL as Hibs manager hence my comment about 'best available' !

Sorry I must have misinterpreted what you said I thought you were saying I was making out we were stuck with NL because nobody else was available. We had many potential candidates and I did not want us to consider any of the others for the job. Yogi I think would make a great Hibs number two (not now as NL has his own views for backroom staff) but I would never have him back as manager.

Treadstone
23-07-2016, 04:35 PM
NL is in the studio for today's sellick game.SS4 i think

Hibs legend Liam Henderson on the bench.

Betty Boop
23-07-2016, 04:50 PM
Hope Leicester thrash them.

Scorrie
23-07-2016, 04:52 PM
nl is in the studio for today's sellick game.ss4 i think

ss1

Enough said
23-07-2016, 04:59 PM
I am delighted NL is our manager , he is exactly what our club needs GGTTH