PDA

View Full Version : Set Plays

GreenNWhiteArmy
21-07-2016, 11:30 PM
What's with the radical change of set piece routines this season? Why is Stevenson being given the responsibility to deliver corners and free kicks?

I get that Lennon trains the players everyday so clearly sees something.... but even from in play how many times have we complained that the one thing that let's wee Lewie down is his final ball?

Some of the set plays have actually been quite good just a bit perplexed by it all. Never in my days following hibs with Lewie in the team have I ever thought "aye he'd take a cracking set piece"

Nicho87
21-07-2016, 11:42 PM
Ill trust lennon but for a lefty i think mcginn takes a cracking corner.

HappyAsHellas
21-07-2016, 11:50 PM
Why should it be beyond the realms of possibility that Lewis can hit a good dead ball? I think the general consensus of opinion is as stated, that sometimes his final ball is lacking somewhat. Good to see that Lennon is trying different options with the team, why has no one done this before?

WellingtonHibby
21-07-2016, 11:51 PM
What's with the radical change of set piece routines this season? Why is Stevenson being given the responsibility to deliver corners and free kicks?

I get that Lennon trains the players everyday so clearly sees something.... but even from in play how many times have we complained that the one thing that let's wee Lewie down is his final ball?

Some of the set plays have actually been quite good just a bit perplexed by it all. Never in my days following hibs with Lewie in the team have I ever thought "aye he'd take a cracking set piece"

Just holding the fort till Hendo gets back...

"Henderson to deliverrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!"

J-C
22-07-2016, 12:14 AM
Maybe he wants his talented midfielders in and around the box should the ball come near them instead of 20+ yards away.

SanFranHibs
22-07-2016, 12:33 AM
And Stevenson is the most consistent at knocking the first defenders head off!!!

GreenNWhiteArmy
22-07-2016, 09:31 AM
Just holding the fort till Hendo gets back...

"Henderson to deliverrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!"

Hoping you're right :flag:

Alex Trager
22-07-2016, 09:51 AM
Some of his crosses were poor last night. But there were two or three that were spot on. Really good I thought

CallumLaidlaw
22-07-2016, 09:57 AM
I thought there was a good variety in what we tried from set pieces last night. Bodes well - keep the opposition on their toes.

Lago
22-07-2016, 11:12 AM
And Stevenson is the most consistent at knocking the first defenders head off!!!
Yip crossing not his strength, poor at a couple of corners last night as well.

Bishop Hibee
22-07-2016, 11:37 AM
Lennon wants midfielders in and around the box. McGinn, Fyvie etc getting into the box to support the forwards will be a big difference from last season. Signs of it in the Motherwell game.

Smartie
22-07-2016, 11:49 AM
Some of his crosses were poor last night. But there were two or three that were spot on. Really good I thought

That was always the same with McGinn though. He had a few good ones but has been known to put the odd shocker in.

If there's a similar end product but McGinn provides a better threat from the edge of the box then I suppose that would make sense.

I've been surprised to see McGinn kept quite far back at times tbh.

Hibee87
22-07-2016, 11:50 AM
I think one of the best set piece players we have is Stanton. If he gets some more game time (Which I think he might) his deliverys could be worth a good few goals

Stevie Reid
22-07-2016, 11:59 AM
Stevenson has had 8 assists in each of the last two seasons, McGinn had 9 last year. He doesn't always cross the ball well certainly, but he can deliver well.

Heedersnvolleys
22-07-2016, 12:01 PM

that made me chuckle, the guy I go says that every week. Lewis commitment and energy cannot not be questioned only his final ball on few occasions. He actually looks like he does not have a very strong kick and really struggles to get any power in his crosses.

Ozyhibby
22-07-2016, 12:18 PM
I think one of the best set piece players we have is Stanton. If he gets some more game time (Which I think he might) his deliverys could be worth a good few goals

Two competitive games so far and zero game time, I'm not so sure. Lennon's been here a few weeks now and has been reluctant to use Harris, Handling and Stanton so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk