PDA

View Full Version : Hanlon

J-C
21-07-2016, 09:37 PM
Was Hanlon as good as they say he was on the radio, getting bigged up all game and said he never put a foot wrong, big season for the lad, top player

Jdawg
21-07-2016, 09:37 PM
He was brilliant.

matty_f
21-07-2016, 09:38 PM
Immense.

GordonHFC
21-07-2016, 09:38 PM
I thought he had an excellent game and I can't remember him doing anything wrong.

Leith's finest
21-07-2016, 09:39 PM
i thought paul was fantastic tonight

matty_f
21-07-2016, 09:40 PM
Let's keep the thread about Paul without bringing individual posters into it, please.

The Captain....
21-07-2016, 09:42 PM
I thought the defence were tremendous in both legs. Limited Brondby to very few clear cut chances.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lee Marvin
21-07-2016, 09:46 PM
Can't remember him having a better game for hibs. Ever.

H18 SFR
21-07-2016, 09:46 PM
Totally awesome.

lyonhibs
21-07-2016, 09:47 PM
Let's keep the thread about Paul without bringing individual posters into it, please.

Eh??!? Is this the Minority Report??

Being a tad over zealous there, Seņor Admin 😝

Great to hear Paul's performance levels remain as high as ever

matty_f
21-07-2016, 09:50 PM
Eh??!? Is this the Minority Report??

Being a tad over zealous there, Seņor Admin 😝

Great to hear Paul's performance levels remain as high as ever
You can't see the edited and deleted stuff. :wink:

Pretty Boy
21-07-2016, 09:54 PM
We have done well to keep a hold of him.

Immense tonight.

CallumLaidlaw
21-07-2016, 09:57 PM
You can't see the edited and deleted stuff. :wink:

I can't see the edited and deleted stuff but I can guess exactly what 4 letter name was mentioned [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Thought Paul was superb tonight.

matty_f
21-07-2016, 09:59 PM
I can't see the edited and deleted stuff but I can guess exactly what 4 letter name was mentioned [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

:greengrin

JeMeSouviens
21-07-2016, 10:00 PM

More than a breeze but less than a hurricane? :wink:

CallumLaidlaw
21-07-2016, 10:01 PM
More than a breeze but less than a hurricane? :wink:

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

These ratings are pretty bang on

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-match-reports/hibs-player-ratings-gary-ralston-8468701#PYdVmKUP3SgIBCMw.97

Vault Boy
21-07-2016, 10:03 PM
One of the best defenders in the country. So glad he's here for the long term.

erin go bragh
21-07-2016, 10:10 PM
One of the best defenders in the country. So glad he's here for the long term.

Agree 100% . How he is not getting picked for Scotland is beyond me .

cabbageandribs1875
21-07-2016, 10:15 PM
Agree 100% . How he is not getting picked for Scotland is beyond me .

does grant hanley not play the same position as PH :dunno: , Hanley just got sold for 6 Million

Vault Boy
21-07-2016, 10:17 PM
does grant hanley not play in PH's position :dunno: , Hanley just got sold for 6 Million

Think they mean being picked for the squad, which is more than fair IMO. Patterson got in and played as part of the defence, Hanlon certainly can.

cabbageandribs1875
21-07-2016, 10:19 PM
Think they mean being picked for the squad, which is more than fair IMO. Patterson got in and played as part of the defence, Hanlon certainly can.

now you mention that, we could have a Hanlon/Hanley central defence :)

Bishop Hibee
21-07-2016, 10:23 PM
Excellent this evening.

Ultrabee1-0
21-07-2016, 10:35 PM
It is strange what winning the cup can do!Especially for the likes of Hanlon who have been here from day dot, the pressure is off the lads now!

Boyle89
21-07-2016, 10:50 PM
Fantastic tonight. I'm a massive hanlon fan but tonight he was just perfect. Read the game perfectly and sniffed out any danger. So good to have him signed up again!

edinburghhibee
21-07-2016, 11:00 PM
I'll be honest in the past I've not been his greatest fan, always thought he was easily pushed off the ball. However in saying that in the last year or so I've come around to him and will hold my hands up and say I was completely wrong.

Hanlon was immense tonight and in my opinion hasn't put a foot wrong in most games in most of the last couple of years and I'm delighted he's still here.

Well played Paul and apologies for doubting you I'm delighted your still here 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

18Craig75
21-07-2016, 11:11 PM
If Gordon Greer can get a game for Scotland at 36 without a club, then Hanlon should be walking into that team, not even based on just that performance. You only have to look at our results when he's been out of the team in recent years to see how important he is.

#FromTheCapital
21-07-2016, 11:12 PM
Best performance I've seen from him

tamig
21-07-2016, 11:35 PM
Gail?

Mibbes Aye
21-07-2016, 11:43 PM
What pleases me about his progress is that we saw a player who was leaps and bounds above his peer group (who themselves were pretty good as development squads went) and got fast-tracked into the first team, but wasn't the finished article at 19. Instead he has quietly and consistently developed, wearing our colours.

He's faced some criticism on here but he's just kept maturing as a player. Hopefully the next few seasons see him and the club blossom, with international recognition a must.

J-C
22-07-2016, 12:10 AM
Thanks for all the replies, I was listening in the cab and Paterson was really bigging him up during the game, seemingly played as a sweeper for the majority of the game, he's always been a good reader of the game, it was his physical and concentration side of the game that used to let him down, seems to have matured all of a sudden into a cracking player.

patlowe
22-07-2016, 12:10 AM
Outstanding

dp00
22-07-2016, 02:30 AM
Id be stunned if hanlon see's out his contract at hibs.. I believe he signed it as a wee insurance policy to hibs so we get some cash for him. He will be away to a bigger club in a few seasons for a decent amount of cash ... Which I fully accept cause he deserves it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Hart RIP
22-07-2016, 05:53 AM
Noticed the Record still calls him O,Hanlon in their match report

green day
22-07-2016, 06:09 AM
Id be stunned if hanlon see's out his contract at hibs.. I believe he signed it as a wee insurance policy to hibs so we get some cash for him. He will be away to a bigger club in a few seasons for a decent amount of cash ... Which I fully accept cause he deserves it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He just signed a new contract. I presume because the terms were acceptable to him rather than as an insurance for Hibs.

He could have signed for, say, Aberdeen who he was linked with.

Just Jimmy
22-07-2016, 09:13 AM
Outstanding

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Brightside
22-07-2016, 09:28 AM
Thanks for all the replies, I was listening in the cab and Paterson was really bigging him up during the game, seemingly played as a sweeper for the majority of the game, he's always been a good reader of the game, it was his physical and concentration side of the game that used to let him down, seems to have matured all of a sudden into a cracking player.

Paul Hanlon is simply the best Scottish centre half around. Hopefully Strachan continues to ignore him as I'd rather he got nowhere near coaching him. This hasn't just happened over night for Paul, he has been top class for a good few year but had to play next to some horrendous footballers. A class act on and off the pitch, and to think many many people wanted rid of him just two seasons past. I'd like to think that number is down to single figures now.

bigwheel
22-07-2016, 09:32 AM
Paul Hanlon is simply the best Scottish centre half around. Hopefully Strachan continues to ignore him as I'd rather he got nowhere near coaching him. This hasn't just happened over night for Paul, he has been top class for a good few year but had to play next to some horrendous footballers. A class act on and off the pitch, and to think many many people wanted rid of him just two seasons past. I'd like to think that number is down to single figures now.

Agree..I posted about 18 months ago that I thought he was our most improved player - but he seems to have taken it to a completely other level . Big Hanlon fan , Last night was first time I've seen him play at genuine international level ...augurs well for him and us

ancient hibee
22-07-2016, 09:40 AM
I was amazed Celtic didn't go for Hanlon.He's streets ahead of anyone they've got.

jockspanner
22-07-2016, 09:41 AM
Agree..I posted about 18 months ago that I thought he was out most improved player - but he seems to have taken it to a completely other level . Big Hanlon fan , Last night was first time I've seen him play at genuine international level ...augurs well for him and us
Fantastic last night, playing like that Mr.Strachan must be impressed, just a footnote, see the yams got another penalty last night !! At least they had the decency to miss, they must have the world record for penaltys awarded in the last few years, maybe someone with more brains than me can find out.

Craig_HFC
22-07-2016, 09:54 AM

Am I right in saying that Paul took boxing classes to 'toughen up' a bit? There was a huge difference to his game last season compared to 2 seasons ago. He's a lot more physically strong and is not bullied by big strikers like he occasionally used to be guilty of. He's developed into a brilliant centre half.

I love Paul, he's one of our own and I'm absolutely delighted that he signed a new deal.

staunchhibby
22-07-2016, 10:25 AM
I was fortunate enough to be at the game last night.The whole team gave it there all.Pau was outstanding.

Delboy4
22-07-2016, 10:39 AM
Agree..I posted about 18 months ago that I thought he was our most improved player - but he seems to have taken it to a completely other level . Big Hanlon fan , Last night was first time I've seen him play at genuine international level ...augurs well for him and us

And only 25/26 years old - still a young centre half who has another 7 good seasons in him!

J-C
22-07-2016, 10:42 AM

When I said suddenly I meant his all round game and the little lapses he used to have seem to have been eradicated from his game, yes he'll make the odd mistake but he just seems more mature and capable centre half this past 2 years, compared to his earlier career, stability and good coaching has also helped.

Scott Allan Key
22-07-2016, 02:18 PM
[/B]

And only 25/26 years old - still a young centre half who has another 7 good seasons in him!

John Terry is 35. The main point I'm making is that as Paul's pace is not his most outstanding quality, his reading of game, reaction and footballing qualities could see a good few more years at the top level hopefully.

greenlex
22-07-2016, 05:18 PM
I'm seriously worried. I hope nothing bad happened.

lord bunberry
22-07-2016, 05:24 PM
His influence on the team is huge, we struggle when he doesn't play. When you look at our whole team, it's actually frightening how good this lot could be and what they could achieve for our club if we can hold onto them for a few years.

XXIVMMXVI
22-07-2016, 05:50 PM
If Gordon Greer can get a game for Scotland at 36 without a club, then Hanlon should be walking into that team, not even based on just that performance. You only have to look at our results when he's been out of the team in recent years to see how important he is.

100% agree with this.

Cocaine&Caviar
22-07-2016, 06:36 PM
If i was Strachan and choosing with the long term future in mind:

GK: Gordon, Marshall, Hamilton

RB: Paterson, Whittaker
CB: Hanley, Findlay
CB: Hanlon, Cooper
LB: Robertson, Tierney

CM: McArthur, Brown
CM: Mowatt, McGinn

RW: Ritchie, Christie
CF: Gauld, Armstrong
LW: McKay, Henderson
ST: Griffiths, Fletcher, Cummings

Jonnyboy
22-07-2016, 08:16 PM
Coming late to the party but here's my tuppence worth.

Paul was the best player on the park by a country mile. His reading of the game is first class and despite the Brondby strikers continually barging into him when Paul was dealing with a high ball, he was never put off.

On the flight home I asked Craig Paterson, as a former defender of some repute, what he thought of Paul's performance. His view was that the three at the back allows Paul to play with some freedom, knowing that one of the other two will cover his back. Craig said that Hanlon is a top player and Hibs have done wonderfully well to hold onto him