PDA

View Full Version : The Postives

Pretty Boy
21-07-2016, 09:02 PM
Ross Laidlaw came in and look very assured for the most part.

Paul Hanlon was immense, all the defence were good but he was outstanding.

The pressing and work rate without the ball was very good even when we visibly tired.

Grant Holt offers us a real physicality.

We have 2 solid competitive games under our belt before the league season and now have a couple of games to fine tune things.

We more than matched a team that is far better than anything we will face this season.

Yet again this team proves they have a character that was maybe missing at times in the last.

There are clear signs of Lennons mark on the team already.

Finn2015
21-07-2016, 09:03 PM
Plenty of positives and if this is the standard we play to this season on a consistent basis, we will win the league

GlesgaeHibby
21-07-2016, 09:05 PM

The pressing and work rate without the ball was very good even when we visibly tired.

We have 2 solid competitive games under our belt before the league season and now have a couple of games to fine tune things.

We more than matched a team that is far better than anything we will face this season.

Yet again this team proves they have a character that was maybe missing at times in the last.

Didn't see the game, but caught the latter stages on the radio and Craig Paterson commented on how Paul Hanlon was the best player on the park by a country mile.

KSA Hibee
21-07-2016, 09:06 PM
Listening to Craig Paterson in BBc go on about "this teams spirit".. Early days for our new Manager but it's good to see he has improved us already and still fighting for each other ...

We are at the start of something special .. Never been so positive about my team in the 40 odd years I have followed them

hibee_girl
McGeough played 120 minutes :thumbsup:

IWasThere2016

Hear ye - agree but we need new players asap

Pretty Boy
21-07-2016, 09:07 PM
Didn't see the game, but caught the latter stages on the radio and Craig Paterson commented on how Paul Hanlon was the best player on the park by a country mile.
He was MOTM imo.

Not one Hibs player could be faulted for effort tonight, even the couple who it maybe didn't always work out for, but Hanlon produced arguably his best performance in a Hibs shirt.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

tamig
21-07-2016, 09:08 PM
Sets us up nicely for the league campaign. No disgrace bowing out tonight - unlike our pink neighbours.

Pretty Boy
21-07-2016, 09:09 PM
We definitely need 2 or 3 but I think we have the core of a very good squad here.

A goalkeeper, cover at full/wing back and another striker and I think we aren't far away. If we can add someone like Henderson on top of that then I'd be delighted.

erskine-hibby
21-07-2016, 09:09 PM
Strangely enough being out if Europe I see as a positive. We can now concentrate on winning the league.

Gmack7
21-07-2016, 09:10 PM
we're no hertz

Green&White
21-07-2016, 09:12 PM
He was MOTM imo.

Not one Hibs player could be faulted for effort tonight, even the couple who it maybe didn't always work out for, but Hanlon produced arguably his best performance in a Hibs shirt.

He was immense. But for me lewis was my mom. Never stopped running and was great going forward and defensivly.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Pretty Boy
21-07-2016, 09:14 PM
He was immense. But for me lewis was my mom. Never stopped running and was great going forward and defensivly.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Lewis was great as well. Only criticism would be his final ball a couple of times.

I hate saying this as it sounds vaguely like I don't rate him as a player and I'm using this as a patronising pat on the back, which I'm not, but his fitness levels and work rate tonight were off the chart.

muzzando
21-07-2016, 09:18 PM
We definitely need 2 or 3 but I think we have the core of a very good squad here.

A goalkeeper, cover at full/wing back and another striker and I think we aren't far away. If we can add someone like Henderson on top of that then I'd be delighted.

Would agree with this. Very proud of the team tonight and can't wait for the league season to start!!

Hiber-nation
21-07-2016, 09:20 PM
After that, Hanlon must be in the next Scotland squad.

GreenNWhiteArmy
21-07-2016, 09:20 PM
Phenomenal performance. To a man I couldn't really find many faults. We played tremendous, away from home in hot conditions against a so called better and bigger team. Over the 210 mins and pens we more than matched them.

Carrying on how we've played in the "big matches" over the last 2 years. We won't play a team of the quality (domestically) like Brondby all season.

Playing teams that will be happy to allow us possession and play on the counter is an entirely different proposition.

I've seen us playing in 3 games since we returned to pre season as SCOTTISH CUP CHAMPIONS and I've been impressed each game. Playing some nice fitbaw, players look hungry and Holt looks an excellent addition.

Confident we're in a good position ahead of a long hard league season. HIBEES HIBEES HIBEES

Sir David Gray
21-07-2016, 09:23 PM
If there's a way to lose a match/tie, that was it.

We were very good over the two legs and were are unfortunate not to be going through.

It certainly bodes well for the season ahead. As I said after last week's match, if we play like that in our league matches, we'll have the title won before the clocks go forward.

Pete
21-07-2016, 09:24 PM
It's a good experience for all concerned: hard players, cute tactics, firm defending and a big penalty shoot-outs...it'll make us a better team in the long run.

e2los
21-07-2016, 09:36 PM

I'd be happy with who we have now.

They did us proud tonight and to a man they have set the bar for effort and skill in the season ahead.

O'Rourke3
21-07-2016, 10:04 PM
Small victories but that's the first penalty shoot-out we've lost where I've not been present. So.... it wisnae me.....

Malthibby
21-07-2016, 10:07 PM
Did everything but win, can barely move my neck listening to that on the radio. Brilliant effort.
GG

cabbageandribs1875
21-07-2016, 10:08 PM
we did win

we just lost the lottery :(

Northernhibee
21-07-2016, 10:09 PM
The main positive? If we play like that we'll win this league by 10-15 points easy.

Bishop Hibee
21-07-2016, 10:34 PM
Holt will be excellent on that form in the Championship. Stevenson was superb and was fouled nearly every time he got the ball cause they couldn't deal with him! Great team spirit.

Add another forward and Henderson on loan and I'm happy to stick my neck out and say we'll win the league!

SmashinGlass
21-07-2016, 10:45 PM
After that, Hanlon must be in the next Scotland squad.

This

Logie
21-07-2016, 10:53 PM
Great team effort and lots of positives to take from that tonight. We look really good when we move the ball quickly and brilliant desire from the lads to keep pressing whole game! Really unlucky to go out as thought we were the better team trying to play football over the 2 legs. We look hard to beat and as previously said wont come up against a technically good team like that in our league! Buzzing for the campaign to start... We play like that we will win a barrel load of games this season. 💚

crewetollhibee
21-07-2016, 10:55 PM
We kept them out for the last 209 mins and 45 seconds, and they're a quality side.

Ronniekirk
21-07-2016, 11:04 PM
Holt lasted the whole game and extra time and tucked his pen away calmly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NAE NOOKIE
21-07-2016, 11:04 PM
A ton of positives .... a super team effort by Hibs, nobody let us down and Bartley who didn't have his best game in the first leg really stepped up tonight. They hardly troubled our keeper due to a really great effort by everybody at the back, especially Hanlon.

Its a shame that we are out, because we deserved better .... but if we can keep that level of performance going all I can say to the rest of the league is .... be afraid, be very afraid http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/thumbs%20up.gif

Sir David Gray
21-07-2016, 11:05 PM
Everything except the mistake after 15 seconds last week and McGinn's penalty this week were positives.

We did very little wrong over the two legs.

21-07-2016, 11:13 PM
Everything except the mistake after 15 seconds last week and McGinn's penalty this week were positives.

We did very little wrong over the two legs.

I can't argue with that.

Colr
21-07-2016, 11:21 PM
Sets us up nicely for the league campaign. No disgrace bowing out tonight - unlike our pink neighbours.

The BIG challenge for us is to go out from day 1 and absolutely steam roller the lesser opposition instead of being suckered by them and grind out the ugly results against the other contenders.

This would be a contrast to last season where we played well in the big (cup) games then got suckered by minnows and bullied by the wee Jambos of Falkirk.

WellingtonHibby
21-07-2016, 11:25 PM
Lewis was great as well. Only criticism would be his final ball a couple of times.

I hate saying this as it sounds vaguely like I don't rate him as a player and I'm using this as a patronising pat on the back, which I'm not, but his fitness levels and work rate tonight were off the chart.

Lewis's fitness and work rate is astonishing really. to get up and down the pitch like that for 120 mins, and have enough in the tank to make good decisions and play good football is really mindblowing. his V02 Max must be phenomenal.

hibby6270
21-07-2016, 11:32 PM
I've posted this on other threads but worth repeating.

Absolutely no disgrace given tonight's performance. Just unlucky. No fault of Super John.

To put in perspective:
1) We were only one of two teams from a lower division, other than country's top league in the competition. Zurich were the other. Acquitted ourselves well.
2) Ultimately went out (can't use the word 'beaten') to a team who have a bit of recent European pedigree
3) we almost became only the 3rd Scottish club to go through in a European tie after getting beat in the first leg. Almost some achievement.
4) all of the above done with an pretty much unchanged squad from last season. When Lennon brings in some named players to bolster the squad ( surely he must be on the case to do that?), we'll benefit from this over the season.

GGTTH

GloryGlory
22-07-2016, 06:06 AM

Yes, I think we are 2-3 quality additions at least short, given the inevitable injuries, suspensions and loss of form that will happen throughout the season. Goalie, defensive cover, midfielder who can score a few, plus decent back-up striker the absolute minimum, IMHO.

GloryGlory
22-07-2016, 06:11 AM
Carrying on how we've played in the "big matches" over the last 2 years. We won't play a team of the quality (domestically) like Brondby all season.

Playing teams that will be happy to allow us possession and play on the counter is an entirely different proposition.

It's how a team plays against the so-called "wee" teams (no disrespect) in its league that decides championships. Hibs need to step up and score a few in every game we play against these teams.

Viva_Palmeiras
22-07-2016, 06:31 AM
Lewis's fitness and work rate is astonishing really. to get up and down the pitch like that for 120 mins, and have enough in the tank to make good decisions and play good football is really mindblowing. his V02 Max must be phenomenal.

He and Grays work-rate over a long season then short break is remarkable.