PDA

View Full Version : Kissing the badge

swordin3
21-07-2016, 09:14 AM
I love wee Lee to bits, watched him play for Leith down the Links . Are we all comfortable with him kissing the badge like last night or am I being to touchy.

HIBERNIAN-0762
21-07-2016, 09:17 AM
I have many close Celtic mates who tell me although they love him him scoring all these goals he isn't "one of their own"

I think he desperately wants to win them over but I feel he is wasting his time, pretty annoyed when I saw him doing that I must admit.

Always welcome back home here wee man.

J-C
21-07-2016, 09:38 AM
You should only kiss the badge of your boyhood club if you get a chance to play for them, celebrate by all means but to kiss another clubs badge is a no no.

Geo_1875
21-07-2016, 09:40 AM
I don't have any problem with him kissing the badge of his current club. Just shows he's passionate about his football. I'd love to see him kiss the Hibs badge again.

superfurryhibby
21-07-2016, 11:07 AM
Who cares. It would be helpful to note that his name is Leigh though.

Bristolhibby
21-07-2016, 11:08 AM
You should only kiss the badge of your boyhood club if you get a chance to play for them, celebrate by all means but to kiss another clubs badge is a no no.

This, and when representing your country. Everything else is a bit sycophantic.

J

WeeRussell
21-07-2016, 11:17 AM
Not really too bothered about him or what he does there now that he's with them - but maybe he has somewhere for Celtic now too. What would our reaction be if Henderson came back and started kissing the Hibs badge?

For the record, I would never dream of kissing the Celtic badge... and don't think any other Hibs fans should either.

Jack
21-07-2016, 11:33 AM
He was only ever here on loan!

A Hibs supporter but not one of our own ... unless he signs for us in the future :-)

If only we'd lashed out £150k ;-)

OsloHibs
21-07-2016, 11:35 AM
He doesn't play for hibs, so I honestly don't care what he does... He's a bit desperate though!

Waxy
21-07-2016, 11:50 AM
Why would anyone want to kiss the Celtic badge?
Even their founder was a Hibby.

MWHIBBIES
21-07-2016, 11:51 AM
Just another former Hibs player who went to that mob. No better or worse than Caldwell, Brown, Killen etc.

NAE NOOKIE
21-07-2016, 12:00 PM
I don't think Griffiths Hibby credentials are in question to be honest, he clearly loves Hibs above all others. As for badge kissing, no idea why he does it, but I wish he would stop ..... leave all that to the likes of Skacel who successfully suckered the Yams into thinking he wasn't just in it for the money ... or folk who are playing for the club they actually grew up supporting.

Vini1875
21-07-2016, 12:00 PM
From what I recall he was very passionate about playing for Dundee and had a good rapport with their fans. He was also very respectful when he played for us against them and probably still is. I think it is simply his way, it is his team. He will always be a Hibby and has made no secret of that. I am sure clubs get taken into player's hearts although clearly not their first love, like Henderson and Stokes did with Hibs.

HibernianJK
21-07-2016, 12:17 PM
From what I recall he was very passionate about playing for Dundee and had a good rapport with their fans. He was also very respectful when he played for us against them and probably still is. I think it is simply his way, it is his team. He will always be a Hibby and has made no secret of that. I am sure clubs get taken into player's hearts although clearly not their first love, like Henderson and Stokes did with Hibs.

I don't get the feeling from Stokes that he feels even close to the way Henderson felt about Hibs.

essexhibee
21-07-2016, 12:23 PM
He's a diehard hibby of that there is no question. Regularly Seen at games. Season ticket holder previous. Despises hearts. Still a good hibby for me.

J-C
21-07-2016, 12:25 PM
I don't get the feeling from Stokes that he feels even close to the way Henderson felt about Hibs.

I think the fact Henderson has a few Hibs fans in his family gave him an insight into the Hibs family and he loves our passion like we loved his. Stoke just used us twice as a stepping stone, firstly to move to Celtic and recently to get him game fit for a move elsewhere, he got Hibs but wasn't fussed about us.

Sammy7nil
21-07-2016, 12:26 PM

Stokes likes Hibs but thinks he is destined or should have gone on to better things, Henderson got his first really big chance at Hibs (I know he played abroad for a short while) and he just loved playing. I think he would have shown the same enthusiasm for any club he was at and doing well for.

Lago
21-07-2016, 12:26 PM
Frankly this whole badge kissing thing is a piece of nonsense. To 99% of those that do it, it's meaningless.

confused
21-07-2016, 12:35 PM
Frankly this whole badge kissing thing is a piece of nonsense. To 99% of those that do it, it's meaningless.
100% agree, I never once saw Pat Stanton do it , and they don't any more "Hibby" than the one and only.

tamig
21-07-2016, 12:42 PM
100% agree, I never once saw Pat Stanton do it , and they don't any more "Hibby" than the one and only.

To be fair there was no badge on the strip when Paddy played 😉

Smartie
21-07-2016, 12:42 PM

I loved Stokes' comment when he was asked after his cup final heroics if he was coming back - "Er, I'll come back for a pint."

I don't care if they don't kiss the badge - Stokes helped us win the cup by playing a blinder in a cup final. That'll do for me.

Leigh is the ghost of deadline day past. Scored a lot of good goals for us but he's a Celtic player therefore I don't really care what he does, badge-kissing or otherwise.
TBH I respect a player more for knocking his pan in for the club that pays his wages over pining for a loved other club, even if that club happens to be Hibs.

Craig_in_Prague
21-07-2016, 01:01 PM
I think the fact Henderson has a few Hibs fans in his family gave him an insight into the Hibs family and he loves our passion like we loved his. Stoke just used us twice as a stepping stone, firstly to move to Celtic and recently to get him game fit for a move elsewhere, he got Hibs but wasn't fussed about us.

and win Hibs the SC, I hate being "used" like that :))

Phil MaGlass
21-07-2016, 01:07 PM
I love Stokes and Griffiths. :aok:
Badge kissing meaningless unless you love or support the club you are playing for

swordin3
21-07-2016, 01:07 PM
Who cares. It would be helpful to note that his name is Leigh though.
My apologies you are quite correct, my mistake .

Finn2015
21-07-2016, 01:15 PM
I have many close Celtic mates who tell me although they love him him scoring all these goals he isn't "one of their own"

I think he desperately wants to win them over but I feel he is wasting his time, pretty annoyed when I saw him doing that I must admit.

Always welcome back home here wee man.

Pretty much this

Kato
21-07-2016, 01:49 PM
I heard he doesn't actually kiss their badge, merely whispers to it "I wish this was for the Hibs", every time he scores.

heretoday
21-07-2016, 01:53 PM
Leigh Griffiths can get stuffed.

There. I've said it.

Pete
21-07-2016, 02:14 PM
If people were going to pay me £20k a week to run about a park and kick a ball I'd kiss their erses, never mind their badge.

cabbageandribs1875
21-07-2016, 02:16 PM
looking forward very much to the day he comes home :agree:

Bostonhibby
21-07-2016, 02:31 PM
Badge? Erse? Same thing really. He doesn't have to do it. They need his goals more than he ultimately needs them. Kissing the badge here is a bit cringeworthy for me.

Bostonhibby
21-07-2016, 02:33 PM
looking forward very much to the day he comes home :agree:
[emoji106]

QMU-1875
21-07-2016, 02:35 PM
Think people get hung up on the kissing the badge thing. It doesn't really mean anything anymore.

Keith_M
21-07-2016, 03:56 PM
I've always found it a bit cringeworthy, especially when done by mercenary players that only ever follow the money (no, I'm not referring to Leigh).

TBF, it's not quite as bad as Gazza playing the invisible flute at Celtic Park.

Pretty Boy
21-07-2016, 04:17 PM
He can do what he likes.

Griffiths carried a pretty mediocre, at best, Hibs team in his only full season here. He ran himself into the ground for us and scored some outstanding goals. On the back of that he had a crack at the English Championship and then made a move that was financially brilliant for him as well as giving him a chance to collect a few medals.

Given some of the non talented and/or non triers who turned out for us around that best forgotten time I'll always have a soft sport for Griffiths and don't really understand the few who love putting the boot into him

Kato
21-07-2016, 04:24 PM
Gazza playing the invisible flute at Celtic Park.

If that was a euphemism it would be weird enough but the fact that it is an actual thing he did shows just what weird, messed-up place Scottish football can be..............

--Was the game any good, son?

--Aye, but Gazza played an invisible flute, disgusting so it was.

--He'll be in big trouble for that.

--Doubt it, they'll turn a blind eye.

???

Jim44
22-07-2016, 04:50 AM
Badge kissing is a theatrical gesture designed purely to ingratiaite players with the supporters. I doubt if even the first person to do it intended it as a genuine act of affection. Griffiths can kiss Peter Lawwell's arse for all I care.

Ilovehibs
22-07-2016, 08:49 AM

I totally agree with you JC but given his contribution on 21/5 we'll let him off eh!

ancient hibee
22-07-2016, 09:28 AM
Kissing badges is a load of guff.The best Hibs teams didn't even have one.

Bostonhibby
22-07-2016, 12:19 PM
If that was a euphemism it would be weird enough but the fact that it is an actual thing he did shows just what weird, messed-up place Scottish football can be..............

--Was the game any good, son?

--Aye, but Gazza played an invisible flute, disgusting so it was.

--He'll be in big trouble for that.

--Doubt it, they'll turn a blind eye.

???

:agree: What worried me about the flute business at the time was that if it was invisible, how the **** did everyone know it was a flute? In all of his semi literate utterances I never once heard him tell anyone he had any invisible musical instruments at all.

Personally I doubt Gazza had the intelligence to tie his own shoelaces so even if playing a flute, invisible or otherwise, only involves blowing in one end and moving your fingers up and down the outside I just can't see him managing it. Not when there is a choice of ends anyway.

DaveF
22-07-2016, 01:02 PM
Pro footballer kisses badge yo gain favour with own fans. Just wait until he does it when back playing for us one day and we'll all be swooning over him :-)

snedzuk
22-07-2016, 01:39 PM
:agree: What worried me about the flute business at the time was that if it was invisible, how the **** did everyone know it was a flute? In all of his semi literate utterances I never once heard him tell anyone he had any invisible musical instruments at all.

Personally I doubt Gazza had the intelligence to tie his own shoelaces so even if playing a flute, invisible or otherwise, only involves blowing in one end and moving your fingers up and down the outside I just can't see him managing it. Not when there is a choice of ends anyway.

Flute lessons means something altogether different and maybe gazza was miming that -- if you see where I'm coming from.

My_Wife_Camille
22-07-2016, 02:48 PM
Absolutely hate it when he kisses their badge. The guy is supposed to be Hibs so kissing another badge is just wrong.

However I loved it when Liam Henderson kissed the badge after David Grays winner so I'm basically a hypocrite

Bostonhibby
22-07-2016, 03:51 PM
Flute lessons means something altogether different and maybe gazza was miming that -- if you see where I'm coming from.
[emoji106]

Waxy
22-07-2016, 04:50 PM
I've never seen an invisible flute before.How can we be sure it really was a flute?