PDA

View Full Version : Oxley

scotiaf
20-07-2016, 11:05 PM
I just spend the past hour watching Hibs videos, started off at the Scottish cup final and clicked on various videos after.

Oxley made some good saves is various videos, I can only assume Lennon has a new GK or believes he can get better. But the boy made numerous saves, don't get me wrong he had a few faupaux.

I hope that the young boy has a stormer tomorrow in goals (Marshall Barcelona )

But surely to let oxley go before these games is dangerous

HibsNutter
20-07-2016, 11:07 PM
Oxley was crap. We need better.

Forza Fred
20-07-2016, 11:18 PM

I don't think your statement is necessarily at odds with the OPs.

However he does make the pertinent point, that it's ok to replace players with better players, but at the moment, facing a Euro second leg, we haven't done that, and are arguably worse off without him just now.

Can't argue with that...or I can't anyway.

Hibs Class
21-07-2016, 02:03 AM

Oxley was not crap. He made mistakes but he also made a lot of decent saves. Didn't deserve a lot of the abuse that went his way, and a lot of that abuse from our fans must have affected his confidence and therefore performance. Hopefully the next keeper is treated better.

Slim Shady
21-07-2016, 07:20 AM
How many times last season did we lose points in games were goals were conceded when only one / two shots on target. Morton at home and Dumbarton away to start.

HappyAsHellas
21-07-2016, 07:24 AM
You mean like the cup final - only 2 on target.........oh wait...........

easty
21-07-2016, 07:42 AM
How many times last season did we lose points in games were goals were conceded when only one / two shots on target. Morton at home and Dumbarton away to start.

That's a weak argument. It's either a mistake or it's no. He can either save it or he can't. The number of chances doesn't mean anything.

polarbear
21-07-2016, 08:24 AM

He clearly wasn't crap.
He was as solid and reliable a goalie we've had in the last 10 years at least.

Ozyhibby
21-07-2016, 08:40 AM
That's a weak argument. It's either a mistake or it's no. He can either save it or he can't. The number of chances doesn't mean anything.

Oxley didn't have many of the full zibbyesque blunders. The problem was that he rarely made a save either. He just wasn't a very good shot stopper.
It may be true to say that he can either save it or he can't but that does not mean another goalkeeper couldn't. He just wasn't very good at making saves. Good with his feet though.
Logan wasn't very good either.
Guys like Jamie McDonald would have been a far better option and well within our budget. There are a lot more out there as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

easty
21-07-2016, 08:46 AM
Oxley didn't have many of the full zibbyesque blunders. The problem was that he rarely made a save either. He just wasn't a very good shot stopper.
It may be true to say that he can either save it or he can't but that does not mean another goalkeeper couldn't. He just wasn't very good at making saves. Good with his feet though.
Logan wasn't very good either.
Guys like Jamie McDonald would have been a far better option and well within our budget. There are a lot more out there as well.

Jamie McDonald would have been slaughtered on here. He makes plenty mistakes. That added to the fact he's a hearts ****, would've meant he got no leeway at all.

Centre Hawf
21-07-2016, 09:18 AM
I fully believe were the quickest club to slaughter some players in Scotland. Their performances at the the time of becoming the fans scape goat are no better or worse than similar players we clamber for at other clubs.

Liam Craig being an example, scored goals from midfield. Drifted in and out of games. Became a villain. That was still the same player we saw at St Johnstone and signed. He doesn't become a world beater or a worse player from pulling on a green jersey.

Mark Oxley yes wasnt perfect. But he was decent for Scottish Championship football. As someome elluded to earlier he was decent with his feet, he maybe had a poor save to goal ratio but that doesnt apply any context to if he COULD have saved them. I can remember countless brilliant saves he made and imo from the Ibrox defeat early on last season to around the slump he kept us in countless games.

If we signed someone like Jamie MacDonald great. But he also has mistakes in him. Does that mean he's a bad keeper? No. It means he should stay well clear of here if he's any sense.

However mon the Otso. Keep the heid up big man.

Stevie Reid
21-07-2016, 09:27 AM
I would have been perfectly happy for Oxley to stay. He will be 26 this year and has played a decent amount of football, playing 92 games for us in the last two years, experiencing some huge games and some tough times. Now another club will get the benefit of that experience, and his best years are still ahead of him.

I have said this dozens of times on here, but the attitudes of many Hibs supporters towards him truly perplexes me, as much as the attitudes to Malonga did also - in my mind, both were not only players of quality, but were also far, far better than many players who have occupied the positions that they played for us in the last few years.

The Oxley situation was very strange, he scored in his first match - that alone would have made him a cult hero at some clubs - and had a good start for us. Yet many on here were asking serious questions about him from a very early stage, despite the fact that those questions were not warranted - perhaps it was symptomatic of where we were as a club at the time, we were all hurting after losing 4 of our first 5 matches after being relegated to the Championship, and were not in a good place at all.

However, the debates raged on and on, despite the fact that we went on long unbeaten runs and enjoyed cup runs and notable victories of Hearts and Rangers. When he eventually did make a mistake, things had reached such a level that there wasn't much in the way of forgiveness from many. It was extremely unfair. Those on here who make statements like "he was crap" or "he couldn't make saves" had made up their mind about Oxley a long time ago, and without any reasonable analysis of his performances for us.

He played 92 times, keeping 35 clean sheets, in a team that enjoyed considerable success in the last two seasons, all whilst facing competition from some very experienced back up in the shape of Ruguero and Cerny - when you take all of that into account, it makes statements such as those I mentioned above look rather silly. My own summary would be that he was good for us - not great, but good. Though given some of the nightmare goalkeepers we have had in the last 10-12 years, that already puts him only behind Andersson and Williams in my book. He has lots of good attributes and I think he will improve and have a good career.

Better goalkeepers than Oxley have made much worse and more high profile blunders than he did for us (Hart and Cech to name but two). I don't believe for one second that we would have had better fortunes over the last two seasons with a different goalkeeper, and he deserves to be better remembered than he is by many people on here. Can we do better? Of course it's possible. But there are no guarantees, as we have seen many, many times over the years. I wish him every success in his career - and hope the next guy we bring in gets more fairly assessed by those who disliked Oxley.

Pretty Boy
21-07-2016, 09:29 AM
Oxley was a decent enough keeper.

Stubbs dropped him out at the end of last season and Lennon let him leave as one of his 1st acts as manager. I would have been happy enough if he stayed but managers are paid to make these decsions and both obviously felt they had or can get better.

Danderhall Hibs
21-07-2016, 09:33 AM

Falkirk at home in the play offs.

brog
21-07-2016, 09:34 AM
I would have been perfectly happy for Oxley to stay. He will be 26 this year and has played a decent amount of football, playing 92 games for us in the last two years, experiencing some huge games and some tough times. Now another club will get the benefit of that experience, and his best years are still ahead of him.

I have said this dozens of times on here, but the attitudes of many Hibs supporters towards him truly perplexes me, as much as the attitudes to Malonga did also - in my mind, both were not only players of quality, but were also far, far better than many players who have occupied the positions that they played for us in the last few years.

The Oxley situation was very strange, he scored in his first match - that alone would have made him a cult hero at some clubs - and had a good start for us. Yet many on here were asking serious questions about him from a very early stage, despite the fact that those questions were not warranted - perhaps it was symptomatic of where we were as a club at the time, we were all hurting after losing 4 of our first 5 matches after being relegated to the Championship, and were not in a good place at all.

However, the debates raged on and on, despite the fact that we went on long unbeaten runs and enjoyed cup runs and notable victories of Hearts and Rangers. When he eventually did make a mistake, things had reached such a level that there wasn't much in the way of forgiveness from many. It was extremely unfair. Those on here who make statements like "he was crap" or "he couldn't make saves" had made up their mind about Oxley a long time ago, and without any reasonable analysis of his performances for us.

He played 92 times, keeping 35 clean sheets, in a team that enjoyed considerable success in the last two seasons, all whilst facing competition from some very experienced back up in the shape of Ruguero and Cerny - when you take all of that into account, it makes statements such as those I mentioned above look rather silly. My own summary would be that he was good for us - not great, but good. Though given some of the nightmare goalkeepers we have had in the last 10-12 years, that already puts him only behind Andersson and Williams in my book. He has lots of good attributes and I think he will improve and have a good career.

Better goalkeepers than Oxley have made much worse and more high profile blunders than he did for us (Hart and Cech to name but two). I don't believe for one second that we would have had better fortunes over the last two seasons with a different goalkeeper, and he deserves to be better remembered than he is by many people on here. Can we do better? Of course it's possible. But there are no guarantees, as we have seen many, many times over the years. I wish him every success in his career - and hope the next guy we bring in gets more fairly assessed by those who disliked Oxley.

Possibly the best summation of Mark's time with us that I've read. However this is about the 4th or 5th thread on the subject. Mark's gone, I/we wish him all the best & we move on.

Spudster
21-07-2016, 09:35 AM

They way we play (last season anyway) was we would dominate game and the stats would show we would have far more shots than the opposition even though we drew or beat. The difference is our shots would be a half chance with 9 players and a goaly behind the ball. Their chances would be a breakaway 1-1 or a lump in the box when we would only have 3 men back. It's a skewed perspective and a pretty pointless stat to look at IMO.
Also results in us blaming our goaly whoever that may be when the reality is he has a nightmare task. Granted Ox did have some howlers but he wasn't as bad as people make out.

Ozyhibby
21-07-2016, 09:56 AM
Stubbs was very loyal to Oxley but even he ditched him in the end. Lennon decided quickly he was not up to scratch and let him go. Only Southend showed any interest. I'm confident I'm in good company by saying we can do better.

MWHIBBIES
21-07-2016, 10:00 AM
How many times last season did we lose points in games were goals were conceded when only one / two shots on target. Morton at home and Dumbarton away to start.Why was every opposition chance good enough for them to score? More to do with the defending. Awful way of judging a goalkeeper.

erin go bragh
21-07-2016, 10:07 AM
We wait 114 years to win it . Then we let two Scottish cup winning keepers leave .
Had we had a competent linesman and Oxley in goals , we would imo won the Brondby game 1-0 .( At least )
Oxley could have parted ways after the Brondby games.

Ultrabee1-0
21-07-2016, 10:20 AM
His goal against livi on his debut makes him the greatest ever goal keeper in the world, he had scored more league goals than Kris boyd until about Christmas hahahaha

Zondervan
21-07-2016, 11:53 AM

Yeh games like that when our strikers had
20 shots off-target. Oxley's fault for that as well, of course.