PDA

View Full Version : Allardyce

ekhibee
20-07-2016, 08:33 PM
On BBC Sport website it says Allardyce will be appointed as the new England manager within the next 24 hours.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport

Not a total surprise, but can't help thinking they could have made a better choice than that. Still, what do I know. I'm sure it was Rio Ferdinand who said after England were beaten by Iceland that anybody would go for it- cos they couldn't do any worse than the ones they've had recently. Hodgson seemingly got £3.5 million, so you'd think it'd be attractive to a few.

SouthMoroccoStu
20-07-2016, 08:36 PM
Getting Big Sam in = England want to avoid relegation

stokesmessiah
20-07-2016, 08:36 PM
Weird and very rushed decision.

brianmc
20-07-2016, 08:44 PM
They decided they wanted an Englishman in charge.
In the absence of any standout candidates I'd imagine Big Sam falls into the 'what's left' category? Don't really care tbh.
Though I'd imagine he's likely to do at least as well as Hodgson.

Callyballybe
20-07-2016, 08:51 PM
I think he might surprise. Not the big name people are used to for the job, but I think he deals with the media well which is one of the biggest issues with being England manager. Plus, I'd say he'll remove whatever 'fear' that seemed to be present when they were playing Iceland. They couldn't even pass the ball 15 yards!

givescotlandfreedom
20-07-2016, 08:51 PM
He'll make them hard to beat which I guess is a good foundation to build on. I don't think his style of play will go down too well though.

Sir David Gray
20-07-2016, 08:52 PM
I don't really get this appointment at all.

McKenzie
20-07-2016, 08:54 PM
Gives us a good chance of qualification for the World Cup.

Scouse Hibee
20-07-2016, 08:57 PM
England will still qualify and Scotland won't so business as usual with Big Sam at the helm.

ScottB
20-07-2016, 08:59 PM
He has a track record of getting results I guess, but I'd expect any coach to get England to qualify for tournaments, that's not their problem.

Whether he can do better than his recent predecessors when the tournament gets going or not, I guess only time will tell.

chrisski33

Based on what? Think they will be harder to beat but will still not be world beaters.

allezsauzee
England will knock down all the weak teams in the qualifiers as per norm, think they are world beaters and then won't have the guile or tactical know how when they come across one of the top 10 teams in the world. Standard practice for England teams

Pretty Boy
20-07-2016, 09:01 PM
He's unlikely to massively inprove them. England will remain at about their level; 1st knock out round, maybe 1 stage further at a push.

He'll have the media gunning for him early doors as a lot of them and the fans still believe they are one of the big boys on the international stage. Personally I think Klinsmann may have been the man but that was never going to happen.

3pm
20-07-2016, 09:01 PM
He gets results - it's his style that seems to be the issue!

worcesterhibby
20-07-2016, 09:04 PM
I actually think he is the best "English" manager around. Question is..will England's superstars want to play for him ?

Mibbes Aye
20-07-2016, 09:09 PM
I think it's an interesting appointment. Allardyce has had success, most notably with Bolton but elsewhere too, while he's shown himself capable of going into teams and pulling them out of relegation, so he's got that balance of getting teams to perform better at both ends of the table.

He's meant to be really big on sports science and seems to be seen favourably in terms of his man-management style which are probably the critical elements for a job that really comes down to maximising performance for a couple of weeks every two years.

Pretty Boy
20-07-2016, 09:10 PM
I actually think he is the best "English" manager around. Question is..will England's superstars want to play for him ?

Is there much competition for that title? I honestly can only think of him and Eddie Howe as English managers in the EPL although I'm sure there must be others. I think Howe will go on to be a far better manager than Allardyce as well.

Michael
20-07-2016, 09:12 PM
Good appointment in my opinion. I think he'll do well.

Scouse Hibee
20-07-2016, 09:16 PM
Is there much competition for that title? I honestly can only think of him and Eddie Howe as English managers in the EPL although I'm sure there must be others. I think Howe will go on to be a far better manager than Allardyce as well.

Pardew

Brunswickbill
20-07-2016, 09:36 PM
ITV News at 10 just had Butcher on singing the praises of Allardyce. He must be good then.

Mibbes Aye
20-07-2016, 09:43 PM

Sean Dyche has come back up with Burnley but the point's a valid one.

If you take the big five in England, three of them haven't had an Englishman in charge for more than twenty years, Liverpool squeak in with Roy Evans, but weren't able to sustain a league challenge all the way when he was in charge and Man City's English managers came before the really big money started flowing.

Stevie Reid
20-07-2016, 09:53 PM
Think he'll do well.

jacomo
20-07-2016, 10:22 PM
He'll make them hard to beat which I guess is a good foundation to build on. I don't think his style of play will go down too well though.

I'm not sure England fans will care. They just want to win.

I think he's a perfect fit. English, thinks a lot of himself, likes #bantz, generally gets the job done.

His managerial record is good, if short of silverware.

Of course, it's possible that he's way out of his depth! We shall see.

Scouse Hibee
20-07-2016, 10:28 PM

If you take the big five in England, three of them haven't had an Englishman in charge for more than twenty years, Liverpool squeak in with Roy Evans, but weren't able to sustain a league challenge all the way when he was in charge and Man City's English managers came before the really big money started flowing.

As did Man City's status as one of the big five. Don't forget Hodgson

Ronniekirk
20-07-2016, 10:32 PM
Sams The Man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottB
20-07-2016, 10:37 PM

Liverpool had Hodgson as well.

Still, no Englishman has managed a team to the Premier League title.

ian cruise
20-07-2016, 10:39 PM
I genuinely can't see the "big name" players from the England squad taking to being told they are not good enough from someone of Alladyce standing and background and can just imagine them downing tools at the earliest opportunities I'm afraid

Scouse Hibee
20-07-2016, 10:58 PM
I genuinely can't see the "big name" players from the England squad taking to being told they are not good enough from someone of Alladyce standing and background and can just imagine them downing tools at the earliest opportunities I'm afraid

If that's the case they can pack their bags no "big name" player has any cause to question his ability when they perform so poorly on the international stage themselves.

jacomo
20-07-2016, 11:05 PM

I don't think that's what Big Sam is about.

He doesn't have any international experience but he's got a decent track record managing big egos.

Bet Mark Noble and Andy Carroll get call ups. Maybe Defoe too!

ian cruise
20-07-2016, 11:18 PM
If that's the case they can pack their bags no "big name" player has any cause to question his ability when they perform so poorly on the international stage themselves.

I agree, no player should feel they're too good to ply for their nation. Should always feel like the highest of privileges. I suspect that's not the case with some of the millionaires in the England camp and that's been part of the,issues regarding poor performance but is Sam the man to resolve that? I feel Harry Redknapp would have been a better choice, man management seems to be a particular kill of his plus, he's well liked by many players. If Sam gets it I hope he does well, I just fear its not the right ob for him.

Hannah_hfc
20-07-2016, 11:41 PM
Imo I still think they've gone for a "safe" option with Allardyce. On the plus side for England, I think his man management is more up to scratch and he'll keep those too big for their boots in line.

From the point of view of someone who watches England games for the sake of watching a football game I can't help but think if it comes to it he'll use the same eye bleeding tactics to grind out results that previous English managers have been guilty of.

I've always said, the English have good individual players and I can imagine a younger, more modern manager would have them playing the right way to actually be successful (and thats good to watch)Similar to ourselves with the Scottish national team, a more adventurous manager who will try new things, new players and set them up a different way to the "old school" will be only good for each national side in competitions.

* to put my last point into context remember us when Mowbray, Stubbs etc came in and the team actually played good football

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

bob12345
21-07-2016, 07:19 AM
The only time he was given a chance at the top end with a team looking to challenge the best was Newcastle, and he failed. All of his successes have been getting out of the Championship and staying in the EPL.

Bishop Hibee
21-07-2016, 08:11 AM
Always comes across as a decent guy and kept Sunderland up which is good by me. He still won't be able to conjour up 2 good centre halves by Russia 2018 though. The FA running out of ideas who to appoint I think.

Steve20
21-07-2016, 08:20 AM

Really? Based on the fact they've appointed a better manager than the one that's just left?

Scotland have no chance of qualifying for the World Cup.

SeanWilson
21-07-2016, 08:47 AM
I don't undertand why his appointment is being bashed. He's a good manager, organises his teams well and always hard to beat. Like or loath them, England have an absolutely superb crop of players to work with and he may well be the perfect fit.

lyonhibs
21-07-2016, 08:53 AM
Today's Daily Mash article nails it, as ever.

HIBERNIAN-0762
21-07-2016, 09:21 AM
I like big Sam, he's straightforward and what you see is what you get but can't help feeling this is either a cheap option or they just want one of their own countrymen to be manager, there's not a lot of them about is there?

Other than that I really couldn't care less...:wink:

MWHIBBIES
21-07-2016, 10:05 AM
The only time he was given a chance at the top end with a team looking to challenge the best was Newcastle, and he failed. All of his successes have been getting out of the Championship and staying in the EPL.
Except the two top 6 finishes with Bolton...

The_Exile
21-07-2016, 10:38 AM
He's an absolute dinosaur and his brand of football has no place in the modern game. I don't think even he'll know how to set up a team containing the likes of Kane, Alli and Henderson as they're all actual properly talented football players, car crash waiting to happen, should be interesting/hilarious viewing seeing them trying to play the Big Sam way in tournament football.

The_Exile
21-07-2016, 10:39 AM
Except the two top 6 finishes with Bolton...

I credit Jay Jay Okocha with that rather than Big Sam :greengrin

CropleyWasGod
21-07-2016, 10:43 AM
Really? Based on the fact they've appointed a better manager than the one that's just left?

Scotland have no chance of qualifying for the World Cup.

I'm not so sure.

All 3 of Scotland's opponents in qualifying for the Euros (and remember that we didn't lose to either Poland or Ireland) made it out of their group. We gave Germany a couple of decent games..... Germany battered Slovenia, who ran England close.

We have England and Slovenia in our WC group.... .

We won't be far away.

CockneyRebel
21-07-2016, 11:30 AM

I think if you could watch his last three or four clubs that he doesn't stick to a style of play at all. He changes tack to meet the challenge - whether it be promotion, relegation or improvement. He uses the tools that the club can provide - money to spend bring good players in and play pretty good football (West Ham) little money and relegation threat, tighten up, give nowt away and play on the break (Sunderland). The time he spent at Bolton gets him most stick but he brought in a lot of decent players who mostly left for a big profit which would indicate that this was club policy rather than Sams. My Hammers pal said he did much better at West Ham than was expected and was surprised when he got emptied although the new man there is doing more than ok. The majority of Sunderland supporters would like him to stay saying he steadied the ship and then gradually improved the way they played. I'm not a Sam groupie but he may just surprise a few folk as all his ex players who have commented so far all praise his man management skills.

MWHIBBIES
21-07-2016, 11:46 AM
He's an absolute dinosaur and his brand of football has no place in the modern game. I don't think even he'll know how to set up a team containing the likes of Kane, Alli and Henderson as they're all actual properly talented football players, car crash waiting to happen, should be interesting/hilarious viewing seeing them trying to play the Big Sam way in tournament football.His brand of football plays to his players strengths. Think you are getting him mixed up with Tony Pulis.

theonlywayisup
21-07-2016, 11:57 AM
This might seem to be an odd thing to say, but if he picks the best 11 England players and hopes to mould them into a team, then he'll fail. Afterall, it's what most England managers seem to do. A midfield of Beckham, Gerrard and Lampard sounds great, but they don't always gel.

If he builds a team around their 'stars' then he'll probably do well. Every team needs those players that are 100% efficient in what they do. It's just at International level you need that player to still be a good player. I think Allardyce will do the later.

The problem with England is that the English media loves to create 'world stars' on the back of a few good performances eg Ali etc. What they tend to forget is that behind every good performance by an Enlgish player, there's probably a 'foreign' player providing the service or a 'poor' player trying to stop them. That doesn't happen when they get to final stages of the major tournaments. Would Allardyce not play an Ali just because he doesn't think he would gel into his team?

What did Dyke say - they've aspirations to have won the WC again by 2022?

Stevie Reid
21-07-2016, 12:01 PM

Given that he attracted the likes of Ivan Campo, Jay-Jay Okocha, Youri Djorkaeff, Nicolas Annelka, Vicent Candela and Bruno N'Gotty to Bolton (and enjoyed great success with them), I hardly think he'll have issues dealing with the biggest names in the England squad.

He's an absolute dinosaur and his brand of football has no place in the modern game. I don't think even he'll know how to set up a team containing the likes of Kane, Alli and Henderson as they're all actual properly talented football players, car crash waiting to happen, should be interesting/hilarious viewing seeing them trying to play the Big Sam way in tournament football.

Have you ever watched his teams play?

CropleyWasGod
21-07-2016, 12:01 PM
This might seem to be an odd thing to say, but if he picks the best 11 England players and hopes to mould them into a team, then he'll fail. Afterall, it's what most England managers seem to do. A midfield of Beckham, Gerrard and Lampard sounds great, but they don't always gel.

If he builds a team around their 'stars' then he'll probably do well. Every team needs those players that are 100% efficient in what they do. It's just at International level you need that player to still be a good player. I think Allardyce will do the later.

The problem with England is that the English media loves to create 'world stars' on the back of a few good performances eg Ali etc. What they tend to forget is that behind every good performance by an Enlgish player, there's probably a 'foreign' player providing the service or a 'poor' player trying to stop them. That doesn't happen when they get to final stages of the major tournaments. Would Allardyce not play an Ali just because he doesn't think he would gel into his team?

What did Dyke say - they've aspirations to have won the WC again by 2022?

Glad you edited your post..... I was about to say that Atkinson would have dropped Alli for being a lazy f'in n*gg*r :greengrin

Stevie Reid
21-07-2016, 12:06 PM

He finished 6th with Bolton, pretty remarkable acheivement. Was only manager of Newcastle for 24 games.

Thecat23
21-07-2016, 12:10 PM
As someone who follows West Ham I think England have made a huge mistake. His football can be eye bleeding stuff and very defensive at times.

I'd be a tad worried if I was an England fan. I honestly thought they would aim higher than him.

Smartie
21-07-2016, 12:56 PM
As someone who follows West Ham I think England have made a huge mistake. His football can be eye bleeding stuff and very defensive at times.

I'd be a tad worried if I was an England fan. I honestly thought they would aim higher than him.

I keep an eye out for West Ham (would never go as far as to say I support them) and that was always the consensus amongst West Ham fans.

But did he not get West Ham straight back up then consolidate their position in the top league again?

Whilst he's not deserving of love and adulation, at least I think he deserves a decent bit of respect.

There have been a few clubs of West Ham's size go down and make hard work of getting back up again. At least Big Sam avoided that. Better getting a few grumbles about the quality of football than deluding yourselves that your playing great stuff because you pass it about a bit in the bottom half of the Championship.

IMO he was the man for the job at the time, did the job then went at the right time and for that I have respect.

I think/ fear that he might do ok. I think he has the nous to cut through the prima donnas and players who are selected on the basis of reputation in order to get players who might actually win important games for them.

Craig_HFC
21-07-2016, 01:44 PM
I actually think he's underrated as a manager and if I'm honest I think it's because of his accent & how he looks. People just assume he's a 'dinosaur' or 'old fashioned' because he sounds like he's just finished a shift down the mines. If he had a southern English accent & wasn't as big as he is then I reckon he'd be very much lauded by the English media and would have had a bigger job before now.

He's very much into sports science and is actually a pretty progressive manager. He doesn't really have a defined style of play; at Bolton his team played some really good football as well as the direct style of play when they needed to. He's a pragmatic manager and changes his tactics to suit the squad he has.

No matter who gets that job, they always has to deal with the same problem: the English media. If he picks his squads based on form and to mould a team rather than a group of individuals then I think he'll do well. However if he does this once; the media would go into a frenzy if the likes of Rooney or Kane or whoever aren't selected.

Pete
21-07-2016, 02:15 PM
For once they have appointed someone who is the real deal.

He'll get the best out of them.

Dan Sarf
25-07-2016, 09:21 AM
Apologies for resurrecting this thread but thought you might enjoy this...

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/sam-allardyce-appointed-england-manager-toilet-duck-man-for-our-times-a7153401.html

When finally he left Upton Park by “mutual consent”, his Croat successor Slaven Bilic transformed the squad into the scintillating team which last season came so close to a Champions League (http://www.independent.co.uk/topic/UEFAChampionsLeague) finish. Had Allardyce’s limitations needed any illuminating, it took Bilic about five minutes to focus the halogen spotlight them upon them.

Thecat23
25-07-2016, 09:30 AM
I keep an eye out for West Ham (would never go as far as to say I support them) and that was always the consensus amongst West Ham fans.

But did he not get West Ham straight back up then consolidate their position in the top league again?

Whilst he's not deserving of love and adulation, at least I think he deserves a decent bit of respect.

There have been a few clubs of West Ham's size go down and make hard work of getting back up again. At least Big Sam avoided that. Better getting a few grumbles about the quality of football than deluding yourselves that your playing great stuff because you pass it about a bit in the bottom half of the Championship.

IMO he was the man for the job at the time, did the job then went at the right time and for that I have respect.

I think/ fear that he might do ok. I think he has the nous to cut through the prima donnas and players who are selected on the basis of reputation in order to get players who might actually win important games for them.

He did get us back up but he's a championship manager at best. His football tactics and training is extremely dated. Just have to look at how well West Ham have done since he left to see he was struggling.

England have made a huge mistake and I doubt he will last in this job very long.

Iain G
25-07-2016, 10:17 AM
For once they have appointed someone who is the real deal.

He'll get the best out of them.

If he sticks to what he knows and builds a team instead of trying to shoehorn all of the "stars" in then he may turn into a good appointment.

What I do find odd is the number of folks I work with who were seriously upset/p'd off that Hoddle didn't get the job, this is a man who hasn't managed a team in what, 10 years, and is one of the worst football co-commentators I had to listen to during the Euros, he has surely "failed" as much as every other England manager since 1966....I just don't get it.

ekhibee
25-07-2016, 10:21 AM
I actually think he's underrated as a manager and if I'm honest I think it's because of his accent & how he looks. People just assume he's a 'dinosaur' or 'old fashioned' because he sounds like he's just finished a shift down the mines. If he had a southern English accent & wasn't as big as he is then I reckon he'd be very much lauded by the English media and would have had a bigger job before now.

He's very much into sports science and is actually a pretty progressive manager. He doesn't really have a defined style of play; at Bolton his team played some really good football as well as the direct style of play when they needed to. He's a pragmatic manager and changes his tactics to suit the squad he has.

No matter who gets that job, they always has to deal with the same problem: the English media. If he picks his squads based on form and to mould a team rather than a group of individuals then I think he'll do well. However if he does this once; the media would go into a frenzy if the likes of Rooney or Kane or whoever aren't selected.
I totally agree with you there. He's always had that 'better wi nowt taken owt' accent which can be really irritating, but he has become a very adaptable manager even if he's not actually won anything. He's had to put up with a lot of abuse at different clubs he's been at, particularly West Ham, and I'm sure he was involved in some kind of betting scam a few years back, but he's always managed to bounce back. I honestly thought his chance of getting the England job had gone, he's been quoted for it before a couple of times in years gone by, but there don't seem to be any good, younger managers eager for the job, and Southgate, who was clearly the first choice, knocked it back.

Rougier45
25-07-2016, 11:52 AM
They decided they wanted an Englishman in charge.
In the absence of any standout candidates I'd imagine Big Sam falls into the 'what's left' category? Don't really care tbh.
Though I'd imagine he's likely to do at least as well as Hodgson.

But he is actually Scottish -Ma and dad both from Scotland moved down south to Dudley who knows why .

Thats maybe why Fergie is his pal -anyway the English wont like that :na na:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/18804/10509669/10-things-you-didnt-know-about-new-england-manager-sam-allardyce

JimBHibees
25-07-2016, 12:37 PM
I don't undertand why his appointment is being bashed. He's a good manager, organises his teams well and always hard to beat. Like or loath them, England have an absolutely superb crop of players to work with and he may well be the perfect fit.

Do they really have a superb group of players. It can't always be the managers fault.

chinaman
25-07-2016, 12:50 PM
Do they really have a superb group of players. It can't always be the managers fault.

They"re a superb group but football super power ICELAND are superber

heretoday
25-07-2016, 12:56 PM
Big Sam is ok but England have no chance of winning either the World Cup or the Euros. They just don't have the talent.

Gordon Strachan said Sam always reminded him of your uncle drunk at a wedding.

blackpoolhibs
26-07-2016, 05:49 AM
The press will have his head on some sort of vegetable within 2-3 years, my money is on a huge beetroot. :greengrin

Onion
26-07-2016, 06:05 AM
Strange appointment and gives Scotland added hope for the WC quals. I'll give him 12months.

Liberal Hibby
26-07-2016, 07:35 AM
He's got some interesting financial questions to answer...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2009/jun/24/panorama-fa-bond-allegations

(((Fergus)))
26-07-2016, 03:55 PM

He knows how to create systems that produce results with substandard players so should do better than average with England. I think we will struggle against them now. Woy would have been a skoosh.

As for the England stars who might question his credentials, he has the perfect comeback: "England 1 - 2 Iceland"

essexhibee
26-07-2016, 04:37 PM

1000%.

Austinho
26-07-2016, 04:51 PM
He knows how to create systems that produce results with substandard players so should do better than average with England. I think we will struggle against them now. Woy would have been a skoosh.

As for the England stars who might question his credentials, he has the perfect comeback: "England 1 - 2 Iceland"Woy beat us twice already to be fair. Although he also took Fulham to the UEFA Cup final, and had plenty of experience managing national teams, and abroad. Nothing to suggest Allardyce will do any better for England - his CV consists purely of avoiding relegation with mid table teams.

(((Fergus)))
26-07-2016, 08:15 PM
Woy beat us twice already to be fair. Although he also took Fulham to the UEFA Cup final, and had plenty of experience managing national teams, and abroad. Nothing to suggest Allardyce will do any better for England - his CV consists purely of avoiding relegation with mid table teams.

I meant Hodgson would have been easy relative to Allardyce - yes, we would probably lose to both but I would have fancied our chances against Hodgson. The Allardyce team will not have the same fragility, he will fend off the media, manage expectations, and create team spirit. His CV suggests he makes the most of the players at his disposal. Yes, it could be a step too far for him but he is a cocky swine and I am not optimistic.

CockneyRebel
27-07-2016, 10:22 AM

Ooooh the seethe! What a load of Barry White - he's worked with plenty of excellent players, many of whom he bought in, so that should not be a problem. I'm no Big Sam groupie as I've stated previously but just turning your dislike into crap forecasts is just childish. He may well fail like many others have done but he has the job, wanted the job and is confident of doing the job. He may well just surprise a few people. I will delay further comment until I have some performances to analyse.

HibernianJK
27-07-2016, 12:24 PM
He did get us back up but he's a championship manager at best. His football tactics and training is extremely dated. Just have to look at how well West Ham have done since he left to see he was struggling.

England have made a huge mistake and I doubt he will last in this job very long.

I think that says more for Bilic's managerial ability than Big Sam's. Bilic is an outstanding manager and you can tell by the way he was speaking at the Euro's that he knows what he's talking about.

The_Exile
27-07-2016, 01:26 PM
Ooooh the seethe! What a load of Barry White - he's worked with plenty of excellent players, many of whom he bought in, so that should not be a problem. I'm no Big Sam groupie as I've stated previously but just turning your dislike into crap forecasts is just childish. He may well fail like many others have done but he has the job, wanted the job and is confident of doing the job. He may well just surprise a few people. I will delay further comment until I have some performances to analyse.

We'll revisit this in a couple of years after what I'll predict to be the worst England capitulation ever. The thing I don't understand is that the England job, although perceived as a bit of a poisoned chalice by the likes of us (the fans), it's actually a very, very attractive job. The pay is fantastic, you get bonuses if you do well and you have some absolutely brilliant talent and facilities at your disposal. They could've got a genuinely talented, modern, forward thinking manager who would have the team well prepared for any opponent. The FA are absolutely hopeless though and just go for managers who've had some kind of success either here or abroad without really checking to see if they'd fit into the role as England manager. I know Allardyce is a big advocate of data scrutiny and he's a decent motivator but I have never really seen him deliver consistent results since I began following the English game a couple of decades ago. Newcastle ran him out of town and FFS the Hammers fans used to boo him after they won games!! Sure he had his moment in the sun with Bolton but a broken clock is also right twice a day :greengrin His teams are depressing to watch, it's percentage, anti-football IMO and I'm cut from the cloth of defensive football is fascinating football and even I can't stand the way he sets his teams up. The one thing he will give them is tactical clarity as he doesn't seem to have the capacity to change his tactics, ironically that's something that's been a nightmare for England in the past 10 years, you just never really knew how they were going to set up.

Another thing here is the England players, a lot of them don't see playing for England as the pinnacle of their career, it doesn't mean much to them, apparently England players get bonuses for getting deep into a tournament, I'm not sure how many other teams do that but I can't think many would pay players to play for their country? Plus, an international football player, playing in England will play upwards of 50 games a year if their team gets into the latter stages of Europe. I can see a LOAD of dodgy call offs from prominent players as international break for them will be as boring to them as it is to the rest of us, it's a match made in hell for them and I just cannot see any positives from this appointment for them.

TLDR:
Allardyce is a **** manager
Players are motivated by money rather than representing the shirt
English season is too long so players are banjoed come tournament time
Allardyce has no Major trophies and no champions league experience

All my own twisted opinion of course :greengrin

Smartie
27-07-2016, 01:34 PM
We'll revisit this in a couple of years after what I'll predict to be the worst England capitulation ever. The thing I don't understand is that the England job, although perceived as a bit of a poisoned chalice by the likes of us (the fans), it's actually a very, very attractive job. The pay is fantastic, you get bonuses if you do well and you have some absolutely brilliant talent and facilities at your disposal. They could've got a genuinely talented, modern, forward thinking manager who would have the team well prepared for any opponent. The FA are absolutely hopeless though and just go for managers who've had some kind of success either here or abroad without really checking to see if they'd fit into the role as England manager. I know Allardyce is a big advocate of data scrutiny and he's a decent motivator but I have never really seen him deliver consistent results since I began following the English game a couple of decades ago. Newcastle ran him out of town and FFS the Hammers fans used to boo him after they won games!! Sure he had his moment in the sun with Bolton but a broken clock is also right twice a day :greengrin His teams are depressing to watch, it's percentage, anti-football IMO and I'm cut from the cloth of defensive football is fascinating football and even I can't stand the way he sets his teams up. The one thing he will give them is tactical clarity as he doesn't seem to have the capacity to change his tactics, ironically that's something that's been a nightmare for England in the past 10 years, you just never really knew how they were going to set up.

Another thing here is the England players, a lot of them don't see playing for England as the pinnacle of their career, it doesn't mean much to them, apparently England players get bonuses for getting deep into a tournament, I'm not sure how many other teams do that but I can't think many would pay players to play for their country? Plus, an international football player, playing in England will play upwards of 50 games a year if their team gets into the latter stages of Europe. I can see a LOAD of dodgy call offs from prominent players as international break for them will be as boring to them as it is to the rest of us, it's a match made in hell for them and I just cannot see any positives from this appointment for them.

TLDR:
Allardyce is a **** manager
Players are motivated by money rather than representing the shirt
English season is too long so players are banjoed come tournament time
Allardyce has no Major trophies and no champions league experience

All my own twisted opinion of course :greengrin

I think they need someone to see through the b*****s that a lot of the more talented players give and cut them loose. Beckham would have run through brick walls for his country, they need to keep players like that. The overpaid millionaire nancy boys that don't fancy turning up for friendlies can happily not turn up again and they need a manager who is prepared for that to happen. I think Sam's that man.

A clear and decisive tactical approach (even if it is direct or negative) coupled with players who are committed could well lead to success for them.

They need to abandon the "player power" approach that sees them attempt to squeeze talented prima donnas together to form a team without thinking how they might play together.

IMO Sam may well be the manager to do that. There will be high-profile casualties along the way though.

As ever with an England manager I think the media will have a big role to play - the media scrutiny is probably the most unappealing aspect of that job. Sam is fairly media-savvy and will probably manage to buy himself a bit more time and good faith that some of his predecessors could not.

ekhibee
27-07-2016, 04:11 PM
I've never really been a fan of Allardyce, but I did like this:

https://youtu.be/uOgToHw7ABI

ancient hibee
27-07-2016, 08:49 PM
He's no mug.It didn't take him 5 minutes to see Defoe was a far better striker than Fletcher.

Stevie Reid
27-07-2016, 09:08 PM
I've never really been a fan of Allardyce, but I did like this:

https://youtu.be/uOgToHw7ABI

Haha, that is quality. I've always liked Mourinho, but that comment is a bit rich from a guy who was heralded for such a performance when he took Inter to the Nou Camp and successfully sat on their lead in the 2010 Champions League semi final.