PDA

View Full Version : Will Lennon give us the mentality to get promotion

swordin3
20-07-2016, 09:15 AM
I hope he can give us the mental strength required on a cold winters night in Palmers ton and the like. Thursdays game is a benchmark for how we may cope in difficult circumstances in the games ahead.I would love us to come away with a 0-2 win and the lift it would give us all.

Thecat23
20-07-2016, 09:32 AM
I hope he can give us the mental strength required on a cold winters night in Palmers ton and the like. Thursdays game is a benchmark for how we may cope in difficult circumstances in the games ahead.I would love us to come away with a 0-2 win and the lift it would give us all.

I'll be honest game on Thursday will have zero effect on games we play through the season. I think we'll piss the league even if we got horsed tomorrow.

Since90+2
20-07-2016, 09:34 AM
Brondby are miles ahead of everyone in Scotland bar Celtic so our performance tomorrow wont have any bearing on how we do in the league.

Bristolhibby
20-07-2016, 09:37 AM
Brondby are miles ahead of everyone in Scotland bar Celtic so our performance tomorrow wont have any bearing on how we do in the league.

This.

In fact, going out say to a one nil defeat wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. TBH as great as it would be, Europa Group stages would be a major headache just because of the impact on the squad.

J

Keith_M
20-07-2016, 09:41 AM
This.

In fact, going out say to a one nil defeat wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. TBH as great as it would be, Europa Group stages would be a major headache just because of the impact on the squad.

J

I wouldn't mind too much if Hibs at least qualified for the next round against Hertha (though it's looking unlikely at the moment).

I don't think an extra couple of games in August would affect the league too much, and I'd love to take the train up to Berlin to watch the Hibees in action.

Incidentally, how much money would a club make from being in the group stages of the Europa League?

CapitalGreen
20-07-2016, 09:43 AM
I'd take another season in the Championship for a Europa League group campaign.

Bristolhibby
20-07-2016, 09:48 AM
I'd take another season in the Championship for a Europa League group campaign.

You are joking right?!?

J

Bristolhibby
20-07-2016, 09:49 AM
I wouldn't mind too much if Hibs at least qualified for the next round against Hertha (though it's looking unlikely at the moment).

I don't think an extra couple of games in August would affect the league too much, and I'd love to take the train up to Berlin to watch the Hibees in action.

Incidentally, how much money would a club make from being in the group stages of the Europa League?

True enough, no harm heading to Berlin.

It's my wedding anniversary next Thursday so no danger of me being allowed to go. (Wonder if a surprise trip to Berlin would be an acceptable gift?)

J

CapitalGreen
20-07-2016, 09:50 AM

€2.4m guaranteed prize money
+ €360,000 for every win & €120,000 for a draw
+ €500,000 to group winners & €250,000 for group runner-ups

CapitalGreen
20-07-2016, 09:53 AM
You are joking right?!?

J

Not at all, obviously miss the derby matches but away trips to St Mirren and Dunfermline aren't much different to away trips to Hamilton and Dundee. The opportunity to watch Hibs play competitively at the San Siro or Old Trafford is highly appealing.

Diclonius
20-07-2016, 09:53 AM
Lennon's strong point is knowing how to break down ****ty defensive teams and adopting a siege mentality. He'll get us up.

Brooster
20-07-2016, 10:06 AM
I think Lennon will make 3 (maybe 4) signings. I'm also convinced we will win the league

GreenNWhiteArmy
20-07-2016, 10:06 AM
Why is it always a mentality thing? no disrespect to the OP but i'm sick and tired of hearing this. we proved once and for all on 21.05.16 that we have the mentality and bottle. We failed last year for a number of reasons. (not good enough on the day, injuries) but mentality as nothing to do with it. Always felt that putting it down to "mentality" or "bottle" was some sort of hidden arrogance that we just need to turn up and win. Sport doesn't work like that.

The biggest thing this year is breaking down teams that put 11 men behind the ball in their own half. Signing Holt will combat that IMO

Lago
20-07-2016, 10:21 AM
So if we win on Thurs it's meaningless?

The Captain....
20-07-2016, 10:21 AM
I think we'll win the league, I don't think Dundee Utd will be too far away tho, I think McKinnon looks a pretty shrewd appointment and other than defensively they look to have some decent players (especially strikers).

Falkirk will grind out results and be there or there abouts in the top 3. St Mirren will be stronger than last year and I also think Dunfermline will be a bit of a wild card and get a few surprise results.

It was mostly our failure to beat teams away from home that cost us last season, if Lennon can bring a more pragmatic and flexible approach to those games, when we need to, we'll win the league. We're still to really make our major signings in the transfer market too so the squad will undoutedly improve. We're in a very unusual position for us pre-season where (other than the goalkeeping position) we can afford to wait and see whats available rather than having to sign 8 or 9 players and completely overhaul the squad on the back of a managerial change.

matty_f
20-07-2016, 10:26 AM
I'll be honest and say that I felt that Stubbs gave the team a winning mentality. I don't think our failure to get promoted was directly related to an inherent attitude or mentality issue. In fact, I think the two cup runs and the cup win are indicative of a winning mentality.

We were very unfortunate not to get further in the play-offs. there should have been a penalty (and potentially a red card) against Falkirk in the first leg that would have had a massive bearing on how the second leg panned out - then Falkirk escaped a further red card for the penalty in the second leg. Neither of these things were linked to our mentality.

We also had some significant injuries (as do other teams) at crucial times in the league, when we were dealing with a very heavy fixture schedule, with Fyvie, McGeouch etc missing from the side.

Our mentality was fine, IMHO. I think it's a lazy cliche to throw at the team which doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

Since90+2
20-07-2016, 10:53 AM
So if we win on Thurs it's meaningless?

Not really sure what you mean?

Ozymandias
20-07-2016, 10:56 AM
Lennon's strong point is knowing how to break down ****ty defensive teams and adopting a siege mentality. He'll get us up.

Spot on. The main selling point for Lennon for me is precisely his experience of overcoming parked buses. I thought Stubbsy was brilliant for us, but if there was an Achilles heel it was just the little bit of inexperience in being able to consistently break through teams playing 5-4-1 or similar.

I don't think it's a mentality thing, it comes down to setting teams up play in a certain way when you expect to get a disproportionate amount of the ball.

Ozyhibby
20-07-2016, 11:02 AM
He'll need to get some signings in pronto before I'm confident. We are weaker than we were last season which was not as good as Falkirk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smartie
20-07-2016, 11:12 AM
I think he'll help us break down defensive teams.

We also threw away a lot of points by giving away silly goals late in games. It wasn't so much a mentality issue but a concentration issue.

I liked Stubbs a lot and he was very good for us but I always thought he seemed a bit complacent. Some of the goals we lost to Falkirk late in games, in similar fashion having learnt nothing from previous episodes was inexcusable.

If I was a defender who had contributed to giving those goals away I'd rather face Alan Stubbs than Neil Lennon afterwards.

Dashing Bob S
20-07-2016, 11:15 AM
You are joking right?!?

J

Win the Europa Cup v promotion?

Bobby's Cinema
20-07-2016, 11:18 AM
Yes he will.

Bristolhibby
20-07-2016, 11:20 AM

Promotion, then win the Europa Cup next season.

J

oneone73
20-07-2016, 11:22 AM
Promotion, then win the Europa Cup next season.

J

We'd have to retain the Scottish Cup to qualify. I could live with that.

swordin3
20-07-2016, 11:26 AM
I'll be honest game on Thursday will have zero effect on games we play through the season. I think we'll piss the league even if we got horsed tomorrow.

Sorry if I made my point poorly. What I mean is winning tough games is habit strong teams and players get into. There is also a learning curve on how to win these type of games and certain players have that "mentality".I have played at every level in the Scottish game and I know who I would like in my teams when I played.You can be the most talented player in the world but lack belief and guts.

Bristolhibby
20-07-2016, 11:29 AM
We'd have to retain the Scottish Cup to qualify. I could live with that.

True. Even better.

J

pacoluna
20-07-2016, 11:32 AM

Why not both ;) joking aside no reason why we wouldn't win this league if we were to qualify for group stages, extremely negative approach in my opinion, Why limit our opportunities? People will disagree but using last year's "fixture pile up" was a lame excuse for finishing 3rd the chship. It seems as if spending 3 years in the chship is taking its toll on us supporters and is slowly wiping away any ambition we once had before.

matty_f
20-07-2016, 11:38 AM
Why not both ;) joking aside no reason why we wouldn't win this league if we were to qualify for group stages, extremely negative approach in my opinion, Why limit our opportunities? People will disagree but using last year's "fixture pile up" was a lame excuse for finishing 3rd the chship. It seems as if spending 3 years in the chship is taking its toll on us supporters and is slowly wiping away any ambition we once had before.

That last part is nonsense, IMHO. How does understanding that having a lot of fixtures close together could possibly have impacted on how we did in them, in any way equate to ambition being eroded away?

There were a number of factors that contributed to our league finish, acknowledging some of them doesn't mean that you accept where we finished as a good outcome.

Understanding what happened isn't making excuses.

Ozyhibby
20-07-2016, 12:00 PM
The £3m+ we would get from playing in the Europa league should allow us the bring in enough players of good quality to freshen up the squad in January.

Smartie
20-07-2016, 12:04 PM
That last part is nonsense, IMHO. How does understanding that having a lot of fixtures close together could possibly have impacted on how we did in them, in any way equate to ambition being eroded away?

There were a number of factors that contributed to our league finish, acknowledging some of them doesn't mean that you accept where we finished as a good outcome.

I don't think his point is that unreasonable.

We should be aiming to do well in all competitions and we need to be better prepared to do so.

We should want to reach the finals of both cup competitions every year, we should want to compete at the top of whichever league we're in and when we get into Europe we should want as many games as possible.

We should have a squad big enough to cope with that.

Unfortunately last season our squad wasn't quite big enough or good enough to do what was required of it. Don't get me wrong, we still did well but unfortunately we didn't do well enough.

Misfortune can strike and there's not much you can do about that. But the price of success is that you have to play a lot of games and we weren't able to cope with that.

I do think we need to be better prepared in future, even if it means hanging onto players like Harris, Stanton, Martin and Forster and giving them game time here rather than sending them out on loan.

One of our biggest failings last season was that we ran certain players into the ground.

pacoluna
20-07-2016, 12:23 PM

I never said accepting 3rd place was a lack of ambition.. I said being cautious when it comes to qualifying for group stages because it may impact our league campaign lacks ambition..

When in future if we qualify for Europe are we going to be cautious when it comes to qualifying for the group stages because it may effect our SPL campaign, If so whats the point in qualifying for europe? is it an inconvenience? if so whats the incentive in finishing 2nd or third? Europe should be the objective for any season when in the SPL.

That's why I am ask the question is being in the Chship making us less ambitious as a support, ultimately we achieved last season what most top 6 clubs in the SPL wanted to achieve... a European spot so therefor we should be making the most of it and trying to make group stages while winning this league comfortably .

Alex Trager
20-07-2016, 12:47 PM
Spot on. The main selling point for Lennon for me is precisely his experience of overcoming parked buses. I thought Stubbsy was brilliant for us, but if there was an Achilles heel it was just the little bit of inexperience in being able to consistently break through teams playing 5-4-1 or similar.

I don't think it's a mentality thing, it comes down to setting teams up play in a certain way when you expect to get a disproportionate amount of the ball.

^^^

JeMeSouviens
20-07-2016, 01:11 PM
I think Lennon will make 3 (maybe 4) signings. I'm also convinced we will win the league

Is the 3 made up of 2 goalies and Hendo?

joe breezy
20-07-2016, 02:06 PM
Yes (answering the original post)

Sammy7nil
20-07-2016, 06:24 PM
Why is it always a mentality thing? no disrespect to the OP but i'm sick and tired of hearing this. we proved once and for all on 21.05.16 that we have the mentality and bottle. We failed last year for a number of reasons. (not good enough on the day, injuries) but mentality as nothing to do with it. Always felt that putting it down to "mentality" or "bottle" was some sort of hidden arrogance that we just need to turn up and win. Sport doesn't work like that.

The biggest thing this year is breaking down teams that put 11 men behind the ball in their own half. Signing Holt will combat that IMO

For me 100% mentality what we proved last year was were good enough but did not have the mentality for a full season. We must concentrate every game.

Phil MaGlass
20-07-2016, 07:04 PM
*** aye.
To ansr op

XXIVMMXVI
20-07-2016, 08:25 PM
This is my first post on this forum after trying to get in for a while! Anyway, on the topic of Europa league group stages and/or promotion, I'd have to go with promotion 100%. I don't think our squad has the depth to cope with playing Thursday and Sunday's week in week out especially at such a high level like the Europa league. The championship has to be a priority and I reckon under Lennon we are in safe hands to achieve that.

dp00
20-07-2016, 08:40 PM
To answer your question I think yes ..... Was in hospitality for the game on Thursday and thought it was very telling that Jordan foster said the Lennon had a presence about him and that the players just knew they had to do what they were told as the fine would be the least of there worries