PDA

View Full Version : Historic Hibs squad......

madabouthibs
17-07-2016, 09:28 PM
My great grandad played for Hibs sometime during the early 1900's, around about 1914 onwards, and today I kinda inherited this wonderful original squad piccy, in the original frame and what have you.
Can anyone direct me to someone that might be able to confirm a couple of things from the photo? There is no squad list on it, or date, and as you can see no trophies to ascertain a date. I'm told this is at the back of the oldest stand at ER, obviously before the old main stand was built in 1927.
Ironically, his name was John Robertson.......

ihibs7
17-07-2016, 09:32 PM
http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player.php?playerid=5730

What else do you want to know?

Ihibs has 2 John robertsons from 1915 - I can't remember why I've deduced they are separate players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lancs Harp
17-07-2016, 09:39 PM
Great pic.

The only thing I can help with is we played in that strip between 1909 and 1915. The socks are the giveaway.

Speedy
17-07-2016, 09:41 PM
My great grandad played for Hibs sometime during the early 1900's, around about 1914 onwards, and today I kinda inherited this wonderful original squad piccy, in the original frame and what have you.
Can anyone direct me to someone that might be able to confirm a couple of things from the photo? There is no squad list on it, or date, and as you can see no trophies to ascertain a date. I'm told this is at the back of the oldest stand at ER, obviously before the old main stand was built in 1927.

Wonder if Conlad Logan had a relative that team too.

Jonnyboy
17-07-2016, 09:50 PM

Drop hibbybrian a PM. He has loads of info which might supplement the iHibs stuff :agree:

Scott Allan Key
17-07-2016, 09:51 PM
Wonder if Conlad Logan had a relative that team too.

Lol

madabouthibs
17-07-2016, 09:59 PM
Drop hibbybrian a PM. He has loads of info which might supplement the iHibs stuff :agree:
Will do, cheers :-D

madabouthibs
17-07-2016, 10:04 PM
Seems his one and only goal for Hibs was against the Yams!
That'll dae!:-)

madabouthibs
17-07-2016, 11:37 PM
John B Robertson. His middle name was Baxter. 😁

hibbybrian
18-07-2016, 01:21 PM
Terrific photograph and one I've never seen a copy of before.

JBR joined Hibs from Broxburn (probably United) and his official debut was indeed on 7 November 1914 in a 2-2 home draw versus Dumbarton, however on 25th December 1913, Hibs played a benefit match for winger Willie Smith against Rangers, and a trialist named Robertson played at Centre Half for Hibs, so possibly your Great Grandad.

He played at least 21 games for Hibs, the last being on 23rd October 1915 in a 1-1 away draw at Aberdeen.

Surprisingly, in all the games he played, he only once played in the same team as Bobby Templeton, who is seated centrally in the front row with the ball at his feet in the photo, and that was on his debut in November 1914 :greengrin

The attachment is a bit blurred when magnified, but it looks like Goallie Willie Allen in the back, with Captain Peter Kerr seated 2nd from the left, Bobby Templeton centrally and Willie Smith seated on the extreme right. If you can send me a higher resolution scanned copy, I should be able to identify more of the players.

Players Registration Details show he was also associated with Falkirk (where he was a forward if the registration details are correct), Leith Athletic and St Mirren.

madabouthibs
18-07-2016, 05:17 PM
Magic Brian, thanks for all that. 😁
He also played for Dunfermline Athletic in 1919, that's another mounted squad photo that I've seen through the years.