FromTheCapital
17-07-2016, 11:48 AM
Where's the best place to do this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoomtownHibees
17-07-2016, 11:59 AM
Where's the best place to do this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Much about the same all round. Think most places will need to order it in. Not sure where has it in stock. I've ordered some at Eurochange at the Gyle and pick it up on Tuesday

mim
17-07-2016, 11:59 AM
I used Currency King at Fairmilehead. No complaints. You order online and collect within a couple of days.
I used them because they advertised in the Edinburgh City FC program, If you put 'Champions' in the remarks box, they guarantee best rate in town :greengrin

trev the hat
17-07-2016, 12:04 PM
I got mine online at Travelex £4 delivery Very quick

St Pauli Hibee
17-07-2016, 12:16 PM
If u are needing them quick m & s on princes street stock them as do debenhams, I went m & s exchange rate was 8.4 to the pound not sure as to what the rate shall be now though

Andy74
17-07-2016, 12:17 PM
First cash machine you see in Denmark! Never really bother exchanging cash these days.

.Sean.
17-07-2016, 01:03 PM
First cash machine you see in Denmark! Never really bother exchanging cash these days.
Yeah that's my plan. There's very little to save by shopping round and finding the best rate.

lucky
17-07-2016, 01:04 PM
Just been to M&S, rate is 8.37. Before Brexit it was 9.4.

lucky
17-07-2016, 01:05 PM
Yeah that's my plan. There's very little to save by shopping round and finding the best rate.

Don't use airport ones as you get ripped off.

trev the hat
17-07-2016, 01:24 PM

Watch those Danish skimmers Andy 😉
😄

Tamhere1875
17-07-2016, 02:15 PM
John lewis 8.49k

mim
17-07-2016, 07:07 PM

The most expensive way of doing it.

Billy Whizz
17-07-2016, 07:13 PM

Depends on how much you are taking out

Iggy Pope
17-07-2016, 07:20 PM

Baws. Change your bank.

Andy74
17-07-2016, 07:23 PM

Shouldn't be. Anyway, not planning to take so much out that would make the margins noticeable.

mim
17-07-2016, 07:44 PM
Shouldn't be. Anyway, not planning to take so much out that would make the margins noticeable.

Fair enough, but withdrawing cash from a foreign ATM with your credit card will almost always incur a cash withdrawal fee. Plus, the interest rate on cash withdrawals tends to be higher than the rate on purchases and balance transfers – and you start to rack up interest immediately as the interest-free period does not apply to cash withdrawals. All in all, it’s a costly way to get some cash.

Billy Whizz
17-07-2016, 07:55 PM
Fair enough, but withdrawing cash from a foreign ATM with your credit card will almost always incur a cash withdrawal fee. Plus, the interest rate on cash withdrawals tends to be higher than the rate on purchases and balance transfers – and you start to rack up interest immediately as the interest-free period does not apply to cash withdrawals. All in all, it’s a costly way to get some cash.

Think it's around 3% on a debit card, but you usually get a better rate , than from a bureau de change

HibbyAl
17-07-2016, 07:58 PM

That's the same as withdrawing cash from a UK ATM with a credit card.

Use a debit card.

.Sean.
17-07-2016, 08:21 PM
Who said anything about a credit card? You can use any debit card with a Visa logo.

Iggy Pope
17-07-2016, 08:22 PM

Why would you withdraw cash from a Credit Card Account anywhere in the world (even on your own High Street) unless you were desperate? You can access your Bank account with your debit card from almost any ATM.

OsloHibs
17-07-2016, 08:35 PM
John lewis is where I change money when in Scotland.

snooky
17-07-2016, 08:52 PM
I usually get my foreign exchange at M & S.
The RBS charged me £2 for using a cash machine in N. America.
I was in Copenhagen recently and they seem to accept Euros.

staunchhibby
17-07-2016, 09:06 PM
Avoid changing money at airport.Rip off merchants

Brøndbyfan
18-07-2016, 08:34 AM
Don't bring cash at all, unless you're planning on buying funny hats from local gypsies in the streets. Literally everywhere will accept your visa credit/debit card. Just make sure you pay with kroner, when asked by the card-machine.

Calvin
18-07-2016, 09:59 AM
I've done some actual looking into it.

Best rate for cash you can get in the shops is 8.7. Today the actual visa rate is 8.89. However, I'm with First Direct who have a 2.75% fee on non-sterling transactions which reduces the rate in real terms to roughly 8.65. I think that's pretty normal. So, in short, it's really much of a muchness. I'll probably get 1000 DKK just in case and do everything else on card.

Hermit Crab
18-07-2016, 10:57 AM
Don't bring cash at all, unless you're planning on buying funny hats from local gypsies in the streets. Literally everywhere will accept your visa credit/debit card. Just make sure you pay with kroner, when asked by the card-machine.

Sorry, Im a cash only person and point bank refuse to put my card in any atm or chip and pin machine outside of Britain. I won't even be taking my card.

lucky
18-07-2016, 11:12 AM
Sorry, Im a cash only person and point bank refuse to put my card in any atm or chip and pin machine outside of Britain. I won't even be taking my card.

Only cos you know I'll bailed you out if your stuck ya tight git :greengrin

Hermit Crab
18-07-2016, 11:31 AM
Only cos you know I'll bailed you out if your stuck ya tight git :greengrin

I think 2100Dkk should be enough for one night. :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
18-07-2016, 11:34 AM

Stuck in the past :-)

Hermit Crab
18-07-2016, 11:40 AM
Stuck in the past :-)

Not at all scouse mouse :greengrin. I just don't load everything onto credit cards and then have a heart attack when the bills start making a dent in the carpet when they drop through the letterbox.

Andy74
18-07-2016, 11:51 AM
Not at all scouse mouse :greengrin. I just don't load everything onto credit cards and then have a heart attack when the bills start making a dent in the carpet when they drop through the letterbox.

They have these debit card things these days. :greengrin

Hermit Crab
18-07-2016, 11:56 AM
They have these debit card things these days. :greengrin

Yes, I know however I prefer to pay by cash. Seems like hardly anybody carries cash nowadays. They prefer to live on plastic. There's a lot of keeping up with Jones these days.

norhfc
18-07-2016, 12:16 PM
Very few people use cash in Norway these days. But when I'm on a night out I prefer cash. I used a card on a Christmas night out last year, the reason I know is the bar manager sent me a message on Facebook the next morning saying he had my card, was found lying on the bar. Luckily there are still honest people around.

BS44
18-07-2016, 12:43 PM
Yes, I know however I prefer to pay by cash. Seems like hardly anybody carries cash nowadays. They prefer to live on plastic. There's a lot of keeping up with Jones these days.

But you still have to take a card as backup, in case you either run out of cash or worst case lose the money

Green Reaper
18-07-2016, 12:44 PM
I am with Nationwide and do not get charged for using ATMs abroad and you get business rate not tourist when withdrawing from atm so higher rate

CapitalGreen
18-07-2016, 12:52 PM

Hardly anybody uses Phoneboxes these days either, all on those new-fangled smartphones. :P

Hermit Crab
18-07-2016, 12:52 PM
But you still have to take a card as backup, in case you either run out of cash or worst case lose the money

I dont normally take a card.

Jonnyboy
18-07-2016, 01:34 PM
I dont normally take a card.

You've earned a few yellows on here though :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
18-07-2016, 01:36 PM

:greengrin Me neither much prefer a debit card, my days of spending on credit cards are long gone. If I can't afford to buy it with cash in the bank I'll wait until I have saved enough to buy it.

I get your point about cards abroad though, I always tend to be a bit cautious about using them and generally only in recognised hotels etc. I also hate the practice of "yougsters" going to a boozer with no cash in their pockets and buying every round with a card, does my head in for some reason. Maybe I'm stuck in the past too :wink:

Andy74
18-07-2016, 01:38 PM

Where do you stand on Apple Pay? :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
18-07-2016, 01:43 PM

Anywhere you can reach the machine is normally ideal :greengrin

Or am I mistaken and thinking about contactless??

Hermit Crab
18-07-2016, 02:35 PM

Wtf is that like? :confused:

Austinho
18-07-2016, 02:47 PM
I've been travelling the world for the past two years and rarely take out cash beforehand. Only time I've ever had a problem was in Bali where my card got cloned by a skimmer. Got the money back in the end.

I'm doing a bit of sightseeing in Norway and Sweden when I'm over in Copenhagen and will only be using my debit card - much less hassle compared to me exchanging crone to krone to krona! Just make sure you phone your bank first to let them know you're going abroad.

FranckSuzy
18-07-2016, 03:07 PM
Just been trying to get some currency in The Gyle but there's none to be had. Two places said "what's going on?" and the other said "I'm going to put a green dot on everyone who comes in and asks" :greengrin

FYI for anyone still looking: Thomas Cook expect a delivery tomorrow, as do Barrhead Travel, but M & S couldn't say when they'd next get some in :aok:

staunchhibby
18-07-2016, 03:12 PM
Thomson almondvale centre will have the currency tomorrow.:aok:

Hermit Crab
18-07-2016, 04:18 PM
Just been trying to get some currency in The Gyle but there's none to be had. Two places said "what's going on?" and the other said "I'm going to put a green dot on everyone who comes in and asks" :greengrin

FYI for anyone still looking: Thomas Cook expect a delivery tomorrow, as do Barrhead Travel, but M & S couldn't say when they'd next get some in :aok:

M & S on princes st had loads yesterday, I got mine about 5pm at night, Changed £250 worth no problem FS. :aok:

Billy Whizz
18-07-2016, 04:52 PM

I've ordered some to pick up from Barrhead travel tomorrow at the Gyle. Think they get a delivery around 11am

madabouthibs
18-07-2016, 05:43 PM
Its a good idea to tell your bank your travelling abroad too, they might block your card if anything seems a bit shifty.
I used ATM's in Barcelona a couple of weeks ago, current exchange rates and a 2.5% non-sterling charge.
Not too bad. 😁

FranckSuzy
18-07-2016, 08:32 PM
M & S on princes st had loads yesterday, I got mine about 5pm at night, Changed £250 worth no problem FS. :aok:

Cheers choo choo but I was nowhere near Princes Street this afternoon :tee hee: Got them ordered for pick up tomorrow anyway :aok: