PDA

View Full Version : Darren McGregor

pacoluna
15-07-2016, 09:03 AM
Best Cb at Hibs I have seen in a long time, tenacious, solid and has got a bit of pace about him.
Would be ideal if hibs could agree to extending his contract for another 3/4 years possibly finishing of this career at Hibs. Proper Hibee, he wouldn't need to think twice.

Brightside
15-07-2016, 09:04 AM
Best Cb at Hibs I have seen in a long time, tenacious, solid and has got a bit of pace about him.
Would be ideal if hibs could agree to extending his contract for another 3/4 years possibly finishing of this career at Hibs. Proper Hibee, he wouldn't need to think twice.

He had a couple of howlers last night...but kept his head up and was very strong in the 2nd part of the 2nd half. Him and Hanlon work very well together.

Smartie
15-07-2016, 09:07 AM
I thought he was fantastic last night.

He bailed out Hanlon big time in the first half when Hanlon lost the ball dribbling on the half-way line.

Really impressed with him.

pacoluna
15-07-2016, 09:07 AM
He had a couple of howlers last night...but kept his head up and was very strong in the 2nd part of the 2nd half. Him and Hanlon work very well together.
Can't recall any howlers? Him and McGinn were superb.

wookie70
15-07-2016, 09:12 AM
MOTM last night for me. I have been very impressed since he came in. His desire and bravery have started to seep into the team imo. The whole team are now pretty combative. We are no pushovers and the heads seem to stay up regardless of how bad our luck has been. Although we got beat last might the leadership shown by McGregor could be massive this season.

Brightside
15-07-2016, 09:12 AM

He tried to take on the striker in his own box... failed and luckily just ended with a corner. Also had a couple of poor touches that put him in trouble. For the record I'm a big fan and just being hyper critical. As mentioned above he did save Hanlon's blushes when he lost the ball moving forward (tho that was a free kick to Hanlon.. :greengrin )

GreenOnions
15-07-2016, 09:14 AM
Yep - Darren was excellent last night although I thought McGinn just edged it for MoM. Hanlon was good too and made a crucial goal-saving block in the second half on the edge of the six yard box. I'd love to see McGregor extend his contract too

Since90+2
15-07-2016, 09:14 AM
I would be surprised if Darren doesnt finish his career at Hibs. He now has a young family and a house in Edinburgh so I cant imagine him wanting to up sticks and move on.

If Hibs offer a fair contract he will be with us until he is 34/35. He has always been a phenomenal athlete so I dont think age will be a factor in the coming years.

snooky
15-07-2016, 09:15 AM

:agree: Both were worthy of being MOTM.

Billychaotic182
15-07-2016, 09:24 AM
Wasn't a howler by anymeans but there was one point where he played it out for a corner but Otso was right behind him about to catch the ball. Not sure if it's Darren's fault as the keeper should have shouted!

GreenNWhiteArmy
15-07-2016, 09:34 AM
MOTM last night for me. I have been very impressed since he came in. His desire and bravery have started to seep into the team imo. The whole team are now pretty combative. We are no pushovers and the heads seem to stay up regardless of how bad our luck has been. Although we got beat last might the leadership shown by McGregor could be massive this season.

:agree::agree:

This. i posted in the Mcginn thread that i felt Darren was our best player last night by some distance. turned to everyone around me and even they were a bit puzzled. i felt Mcginn done well but tried the same move too many times and got caught in possession. I do love his drive though

You can just tell McGregor is one of us. The way he plays, it's heart on the sleeve win at all costs attitude. He wins his battle 9/10 at the back and if we have 7 or 8 other players performing at the same level we will skoosh the league this year. Love his desire - i bet he's got a Hibs tattoo on his chest.

one thing - felt he looks a bit heavy? said the same at the Motherwell game it looked like he took full advantage of the all inclusive option on holiday. Maybe its just this season's kit is a bit tighter than previous?

Shrekko
15-07-2016, 09:56 AM
Love his attitude and don't care if there's an occasional mistake. Would run through a brick wall for us and was outstanding last night- nothing not to like about him.

Smartie
15-07-2016, 09:59 AM

This. i posted in the Mcginn thread that i felt Darren was our best player last night by some distance. turned to everyone around me and even they were a bit puzzled. i felt Mcginn done well but tried the same move too many times and got caught in possession. I do love his drive though

You can just tell McGregor is one of us. The way he plays, it's heart on the sleeve win at all costs attitude. He wins his battle 9/10 at the back and if we have 7 or 8 other players performing at the same level we will skoosh the league this year. Love his desire - i bet he's got a Hibs tattoo on his chest.

one thing - felt he looks a bit heavy? said the same at the Motherwell game it looked like he took full advantage of the all inclusive option on holiday. Maybe its just this season's kit is a bit tighter than previous?

I thought so too.

I actually thought he looked quite a lot fitter than our other players when he joined us from Rangers (strange, considering his fitness/ pace was one of the things they criticised him for in the run-up to his release). Stubbs used to bang on about how fit we were but I wasn't always convinced.

Lennon mentioned on the radio that he thought we had a chance next week as we'll be a full week closer to fitness. Maybe it is still early days for us fitness-wise, we genuinely didn't expect much from Europe and we'll be ready for the start of the league season?

Edit - I should add that I didn't think his performance was any the worse for it and imo he was our best player, marginally better than McGinn.

IMO the back four, McGinn and Boyle were all really good.

Super_JMcGinn
15-07-2016, 10:00 AM

I thought the back 4 performed well as a unit considering the start we got. I thought the team performance on the whole was superb, considering the opposition and where we are in terms of fitness.

But there was one standout out for me and that was McGinn, he was magnificent, they tried everything to stop him sometimes having 3 men on him, that boy is going to be some player.

GreenNWhiteArmy
15-07-2016, 10:23 AM
I thought so too.

I actually thought he looked quite a lot fitter than our other players when he joined us from Rangers (strange, considering his fitness/ pace was one of the things they criticised him for in the run-up to his release). Stubbs used to bang on about how fit we were but I wasn't always convinced.

Lennon mentioned on the radio that he thought we had a chance next week as we'll be a full week closer to fitness. Maybe it is still early days for us fitness-wise, we genuinely didn't expect much from Europe and we'll be ready for the start of the league season?

Edit - I should add that I didn't think his performance was any the worse for it and imo he was our best player, marginally better than McGinn.

IMO the back four, McGinn and Boyle were all really good.

i agree with regards fitness - that's where i think Lennon might change us. Its no coincidence tops teams score late goals. Its because they have the fitness levels and determination to win all the way to the end (much like us in the final - in fact much like us in the 2nd half of the season particularly - special mention for the derby comeback :))

the good thing is - we are still in the tie. We should actually be going over there with something to hold on to we were overall the better side and created enough chances to win the game. we'll be further in to our pre-season preparation next week. hopefully a couple of key players pick up injuries for Brondby at the weekend. Get an early goal and its game on!

Even thought Hanlon looked comfortable when he moved in to CM which was good to see. Big Marv needs to up his game next week probs the poorest i've seen fi him in a hibs top IMO

snooky
15-07-2016, 10:27 AM
i agree with regards fitness - that's where i think Lennon might change us. Its no coincidence tops teams score late goals. Its because they have the fitness levels and determination to win all the way to the end (much like us in the final - in fact much like us in the 2nd half of the season particularly - special mention for the derby comeback :))

the good thing is - we are still in the tie. We should actually be going over there with something to hold on to we were overall the better side and created enough chances to win the game. we'll be further in to our pre-season preparation next week. hopefully a couple of key players pick up injuries for Brondby at the weekend. Get an early goal and its game on!

Even thought Hanlon looked comfortable when he moved in to CM which was good to see. Big Marv needs to up his game next week probs the poorest i've seen fi him in a hibs top IMO

I remember one of our players (either Deek or Broonie) saying they were amazed at the level of fitness that was demanded when he moved to Celtic. Our midfield was weakened after the subs came on and we definitely tired in the last 15 mins but that's only to be expected.
We should have brought Hendo on :wink:

patlowe
15-07-2016, 12:34 PM

I would find this extremely surprising in Darren's case. I didn't actually notice any change personally but would say it is more likely that the new strip is a bit tighter so his upper-body muscle might give the impression of 'bulk'.

GreenNWhiteArmy
15-07-2016, 12:37 PM
I would find this extremely surprising in Darren's case. I didn't actually notice any change personally but would say it is more likely that the new strip is a bit tighter so his upper-body muscle might give the impression of 'bulk'.

I'll be able to confirm whether or not the strip is in fact tighter as i shall be purchasing it as soon as its released. and i am, lets just say, slightly rotund!! My upper body gives the impression of "fat" so I'm now not looking forward to getting this strip! ha

WeeRussell
15-07-2016, 12:37 PM
Him and Gray stood out early on for me and maintained the good level throughout.

MacGregor looked to be relishing the chance to attack headers coming into our defence, and Gray looks fit and confident early doors. I don't think any of them had particularly bad games. Hopefully they're all fired up for next week after being harshly on the end of defeat last night.

Skyegreen
15-07-2016, 02:27 PM
I thought him and Hanlon were outstanding last night!

Tamhere1875
15-07-2016, 02:41 PM
Thought he was MOM last night

pundy man
15-07-2016, 03:18 PM
Fantastic again last night and hope Hibs give him another 2 years on to this 1. Btw he won't have came back even slightly out of condition. He wants to finish his career with us and will do his upmost to impress NL. Great start last night in doing that :flag:

gramskiwood
15-07-2016, 03:38 PM
Thought he was MOM last night

Me too

Highland_Hibee
15-07-2016, 10:48 PM
That roar when he lifted the Scottish Cup, he is one of us!

Logie
15-07-2016, 11:01 PM
Motm for me last night. Great player solid defender who does the basics well! Love his desire! Captain material But we have Sir David Gray.

Cod Boy
15-07-2016, 11:05 PM
Love him one of us

SON OF PADDY
15-07-2016, 11:20 PM
[QUOTE=pundy man;4761863]Fantastic again last night and hope Hibs give him another 2 years on to this 1. Btw he won't have came back even slightly out of condition. He wants to finish his career with us and will do his upmost to impress NL. Great start last night

Couldn't put it any better myself !
Love the big man, he's a future Hibs Captain.