PDA

View Full Version : Caught Napping

Famous Fiver
15-07-2016, 07:41 AM
Not read all the threads so don't know if this has been posted elsewhere.

I've banged on before about the poor use of our kick offs. What a lesson we got last night.

Brondby lined up with one guy taking the kick off, a guy standing back waiting for it and FOUR players stationed on the right wing. For some reasonthere was a delay to the kick off while the teams were lined up. A blind man's dug could see what was going to happen. Kick off taken, ball played back, guy lobs it up the right wing area where they were overloaded with players, right back had joined them by this time. Forget the fact Hanlon made an erky of his clearance and Virtainen made a c*ck up, they had players available. The ball arrived at one of their players feet. He had a pot shot and the rest is history.

Why, oh why didn't somebody in our team, or somebody on the bench not notice what was happening, and alter the players starting positions accordingly? Lennon was caught there and then. It changed the whole game and we were chasing the ace for 90 minutes, while the goalie's confidence was shot, players were frightened to pass back to him, and we were playing with ten men.

And don't get me started on what happened when we kicked off in the second half. Zilch. Never made the kick off into an attacking move.

Rant over.

Skyegreen
15-07-2016, 08:27 AM

I've banged on before about the poor use of our kick offs. What a lesson we got last night.

Brondby lined up with one guy taking the kick off, a guy standing back waiting for it and FOUR players stationed on the right wing. For some reasonthere was a delay to the kick off while the teams were lined up. A blind man's dug could see what was going to happen. Kick off taken, ball played back, guy lobs it up the right wing area where they were overloaded with players, right back had joined them by this time. Forget the fact Hanlon made an erky of his clearance and Virtainen made a c*ck up, they had players available. The ball arrived at one of their players feet. He had a pot shot and the rest is history.

Why, oh why didn't somebody in our team, or somebody on the bench not notice what was happening, and alter the players starting positions accordingly? Lennon was caught there and then. It changed the whole game and we were chasing the ace for 90 minutes, while the goalie's confidence was shot, players were frightened to pass back to him, and we were playing with ten men.

And don't get me started on what happened when we kicked off in the second half. Zilch. Never made the kick off into an attacking move.

Rant over.

Your spot on mate, I told my old man exactly what was going to happen at kick off and yet not a Hibs player challenged the lob that came down the right side. Ye the keeper made a howler after that but the defenders need to take some responsibility for the goal also.

wookie70
15-07-2016, 08:35 AM

Rant over.

Agree with most of that but we did play the offside well catching their scorer offside. Unfortunately the officials started slower than us and missed it

Alfred E Newman
15-07-2016, 08:42 AM

Rant over.
The set up at the kick off would not have mattered if the keeper had gathered the harmless through ball. As for the delay to the kick off, in line with his hapless display the ref was going to blow his whistle at 7-40 until Lennon alerted the 4th official.

greenlex
15-07-2016, 10:23 AM
The set up at the kick off would not have mattered if the keeper had gathered the harmless through ball. As for the delay to the kick off, in line with his hapless display the ref was going to blow his whistle at 7-40 until Lennon alerted the 4th official.
Spot on with it all. I played with a team in the Bonnyrigg Sunday league that used to line up at kick offs like that with possibly even more players forward than that. Usually after being a goal or two behind. We were well lnown for it. Looked amateurish to me. Wouldnt have troubled us had the keeper not fumbled an easy gather.

Kavinho
15-07-2016, 10:30 AM
Agree with most of that but we did play the offside well catching their scorer offside. Unfortunately the officials started slower than us and missed it

Not that well.... It counted.. !

Watched both back now. He was as onside as Cummings was for the disallowed goal.

WeeRussell
15-07-2016, 12:34 PM
How we set-up for Kick off was not an overriding reason for losing that goal in my opinion. They had seemingly harmless possession, knocked a couple of passes about just inside our half, boy made himself a yard and took an innocuous shot at goal.

It was an absolute howler of a goalkeeping error.

Though I do agree generally about some of our poor kick-offs/throw-ins etc over the years, and of late!

MB62
15-07-2016, 01:52 PM
On a similar issue re organisation.
At half time, the subs came out and didn't even have a ball to knock about, one of them had to go back inside to get a couple.
Then the sub keeper spent the whole of the 2nd half on his own, doing simple stretches and playing keepie uppie for the during of half time. The only shot at goal from ANY of the subs was when the sub keeper himself had a shot (and scored :greengrin).
What would have happened if Virtanen had taken ill during half time or injured early in the 2nd half? Our sub keeper would have came on and been very good at keepie uppie (he was BTW) but had not gathered a cross or dived for a save, a bit unprofessional IMO. The other thing I noticed was that NONE of the other subs even attempted to include him even in their wee passing routines, I thought he must have been diagnosed with some highly contagious disease and they were keeping their distance.

I remember a few years back during the Scottish cup final against celtc, mentioning afterwards how well organised celtc were at half time with putting their subs through routines. I'm sure Danny McGrain and at least one other, were out with the subs warming them up so they were ready to go if required, whilst our guys looked like headless chickens lost in a field.

Hopefully Lennon will add this kind of professionalism to Hibs.

Famous Fiver
15-07-2016, 02:10 PM
Wee Russell

We'll have to agree to disagree.

The circumstances which led to the pot shot should never have been allowed to happen.

What I will give you though, is that Virtanen has been found out early, and if Lennon's priority is the league, he's had the loudest wake up call he's ever going to get.

3pm
15-07-2016, 02:43 PM
Hanlon made an arse of clearing the ball as well.

MWHIBBIES
15-07-2016, 03:04 PM
Wee Russell

We'll have to agree to disagree.

The circumstances which led to the pot shot should never have been allowed to happen.

What I will give you though, is that Virtanen has been found out early, and if Lennon's priority is the league, he's had the loudest wake up call he's ever going to get.Found out as what? A human being? We aren't going to get a keeper who doesn't make the odd mistake

crash
15-07-2016, 03:11 PM
It was a well worked set play deliberately targeting the weakest part of our defence namely the left back area and subsequently the keeper with predictable results.I would hope Mr.Lennon can find a quality keeper and Left Back as a matter of urgency.

CapitalGreen
15-07-2016, 03:14 PM
Whether it lead to a goal or not, we should be recognising when the opposition is setting up for obvious set plays.

greenlex
15-07-2016, 04:36 PM
Whether it lead to a goal or not, we should be recognising when the opposition is setting up for obvious set plays.

What set play?

CapitalGreen
15-07-2016, 04:41 PM
What set play?

Their kick off, it's the subject of this thread...

edwards
15-07-2016, 04:50 PM
Wasn't exactly a fierce shot and our keeper should have dealt with it easily, It just highlights how important it is to have an established keeper between the posts for the rest of the season if we are to win this league, overall thought the team played quite well and the defence was outstanding. Felt Mcgregor deserved MOM though.

greenlex
15-07-2016, 04:54 PM
Their kick off, it's the subject of this thread...

It's hardly a set play Is it? Nearly every team play it backwards and launch it into the channels from the very first kick off.

CapitalGreen
15-07-2016, 05:09 PM
It's hardly a set play Is it? Nearly every team play it backwards and launch it into the channels from the very first kick off.

I'll revert to those smart guys at the Oxford dictionary for this one

"set play
NOUN

(In sport) a prearranged manoeuvre carried out from a restart by the team who have the advantage."

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/set-play

greenlex
15-07-2016, 05:13 PM
I'll revert to those smart guys at the Oxford dictionary for this one

"set play
NOUN

(In sport) a prearranged manoeuvre carried out from a restart by the team who have the advantage."

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/set-play
Ok set play I'll give you but it didn't (and you did aknowledge that) lead to to directly to the goal. I will contest that the set play was dealt with.

Sammy7nil
15-07-2016, 11:04 PM
Ok set play I'll give you but it didn't (and you did aknowledge that) lead to to directly to the goal. I will contest that the set play was dealt with.

I will counter that and say 0-1 after 16 seconds it was not dealt with. I rest me case mi lord

Wee Effen Bee
15-07-2016, 11:31 PM
It was a well worked set play deliberately targeting the weakest part of our defence namely the left back area and subsequently the keeper with predictable results.I would hope Mr.Lennon can find a quality keeper and Left Back as a matter of urgency.

Erm, sorry if this is a whoosh moment from me Crash and it's an ongoing joke but, are you really serious here? You didn't add a smiley so not sure. Stevenson is a weak link? The keeper was targeted with, 'predictable results?' I hope I have just missed the boat on this one and you are making a Wee joke.:greengrin

monktonharp
16-07-2016, 01:23 AM
Hanlon made an arse of clearing the ball as well.Hanlon should have cleared it, but the number 32 should have collected that shot easily. I don't want to see us depending on a number 32, in goals. gives out the wrong signals, wearing red and wearing that silly number.

Austinho
16-07-2016, 02:22 AM
What a terrible post. Lennon gets outfoxed by obvious kickoff routine? Can't believe he didn't get the megaphone out and order the team to reshuffle in the 5 seconds it took for them to bomb forward. Should have seen that coming. Can't believe Hanlon let that Danish boy to have a free shot from an impossible distance. Not that he was 20 yards out and 20 yards wide or anything. Every team on the planet would be happy for their opponent to take a pop shot from there, knowing their goalkeeper will collect the ball as it trickles harmlessly toward goal.

marinello59
16-07-2016, 03:16 AM

Rant over.
The benefit of hindsight is that we can all be tactical geniuses as we replay the game. The goal was caused by an individual error, it really is that simple.

GreenCastle
16-07-2016, 06:09 AM
Some nonsense on this thread.

It was a kick off - it's a set play.

It led to a a goal and affected the outcome of the game - it was a phase of around 15 seconds which wasn't dealt with. Basic school kid defending against a good levelled team.

Like others mentioned it was obvious what was going to happen - hopefully it's a severe wake up call for be rest of the season.

Our kick off - 1 long ball and 1 chaser Boyle - wasn't good enough.

Our half time warm up looked Sunday league - hopefully the coaching staff sort this out and provide some sort of routine.

Some may think it's petty but small margins define seasons...Liam Henderson to deliver ;)

Northernhibee
16-07-2016, 06:37 AM
Found out as what? A human being? We aren't going to get a keeper who doesn't make the odd mistake

This. It's so OTT.

Thecat23
16-07-2016, 06:39 AM
The keepers error led to the goal. He catches it the set play/kick off is just another standard punt.