Hibs90
15-07-2016, 06:31 AM
Never offside in a million years

blackpoolhibs
15-07-2016, 06:34 AM
Thats shocking, the linesman is in the perfect position to see it. :rolleyes:

Callum7
15-07-2016, 06:37 AM
I thought offside was called for Cummings originally being offside when the ball was passed to holt, Cummings then quickly put himself onside before the cross was made. I'm not sure if those are the rules but correct me if I'm wrong.

QMU-1875
15-07-2016, 06:44 AM
Yet another bad call given against us. Turns out Scottish referees aren't the only ones that are incompetent.

CorrieHibs
15-07-2016, 06:47 AM
The referring last night was abysmal. Cost us big time.

Gatecrasher
15-07-2016, 06:48 AM
The referring last night was abysmal. Cost us big time.

The Brondby fans applauded them off at half time, says it all IMO.

Hibby_G
15-07-2016, 06:59 AM
Was in the famous five last night and could see by a mile that Cummings was on side :rolleyes:

lucky
15-07-2016, 07:07 AM
I thought it was at the time but this picture clearly shows he was on. The officials last night were awful. But this tie is still alive

bookert
15-07-2016, 07:54 AM
Was in the famous five last night and could see by a mile that Cummings was on side :rolleyes:

I was in the west - dead in line and had the same view as the linesman and thought he was onside.
Officials were shocking two other points -
only three minutes additional time - given there was six subs in the second half, this meant there was no additional time added, it took their right wing back an age to take corners from the left side.
Given where my season ticket is you notice that most goalies are out their penalty box when booting the ball upfield, but the Brondby goalie was yards outside.

Generally we were unlucky, officials were terrible, but Brondby were no great shakes physical, cynical and not that great technically, tie doesnt necessarily need to be over.

HibeesLA
15-07-2016, 08:11 AM
I thought it was at the time but this picture clearly shows he was on. The officials last night were awful. But this tie is still alive

The picture doesn't show the point at which the ball is played. At that point it's a lot closer. Cummings slows down to get onside, and is therefore clearly inside when the ball is traveling. Watching the coverage, it could be that his head and body are actually offside, but I wouldn't want to say for sure given the angle of the camera

greenginger
15-07-2016, 08:25 AM
I was in the west - dead in line and had the same view as the linesman and thought he was onside.
only three minutes additional time - given there was six subs in the second half, this meant there was no additional time added, it took their right wing back an age to take corners from the left side.
Given where my season ticket is you notice that most goalies are out their penalty box when booting the ball upfield, but the Brondby goalie was yards outside.

Generally we were unlucky, officials were terrible, but Brondby were no great shakes physical, cynical and not that great technically, tie doesnt necessarily need to be over.

Don't forget the time the officials took to get the ref's arm signal gadget working after it packed in during the second half. Best part of a minute for that.

SaulGoodman
15-07-2016, 08:30 AM
The picture doesn't show the point at which the ball is played. At that point it's a lot closer. Cummings slows down to get onside, and is therefore clearly inside when the ball is traveling. Watching the coverage, it could be that his head and body are actually offside, but I wouldn't want to say for sure given the angle of the camera

http://i.imgur.com/fL7fLCG.jpg

Right as the ball was played, onside clear as day.

southsider
15-07-2016, 08:31 AM
Have the laws of the game changed. Does a foul-throw no longer exist. Happened about a dozen times from their players but not once were they pulled up.

MB62
15-07-2016, 08:37 AM

I am assuming you mean T.V. coverage and if you are still unsure after that, how can a linesman, who is about a yard at least behind the play, definitely give offside? I thought the benefit of the doubt always had to go to the striker!

Officials were poor last night. The ref allowed the Bronby players to kick us off the park in the first half especially, and he was far too slow in bringing out the yellow card.
As mentioned, this tie is far from being over, very difficult but certainly not over. I wasn't overly impressed by them, a big strong physical side but as Lennon said pre-match, they are no world beaters.

Kavinho
15-07-2016, 10:10 AM
Looks to me like he's not in front of the ball, never mind the defenders when it's played.

snooky
15-07-2016, 10:14 AM
Looks to me like he's not in font of the ball, never mind the defenders when it's played.

Good spot :aok:

The officials definitely had it in for us. A CT-ish performance.

Seriously, when was the last time you left ER saying "That ref was a homer"?

Kavinho
15-07-2016, 10:20 AM
Good spot :aok:

Was bang in line with it last night - west lower.

Cummings was in front, right up to almost the point of the ball being played, but definitely onside when the ball is played.

by the way agreed that it looked to me like a handball at a punt up the pitch too.

Alex Trager
15-07-2016, 10:28 AM
http://i.imgur.com/fL7fLCG.jpg

Right as the ball was played, onside clear as day.

You can use the cut of the grass to help you out as well. Terrible.

snooky
15-07-2016, 10:31 AM
You can use the cut of the grass to help you out as well. Terrible.
What if the grass cut is squint? :wink: :stirrer:

Leithenhibby
15-07-2016, 10:39 AM
I thought offside was called for Cummings originally being offside when the ball was passed to holt, Cummings then quickly put himself onside before the cross was made. I'm not sure if those are the rules but correct me if I'm wrong.

:agree:

He checked back from an offside position imo, like you I'm not 100% on the ruling. Different Ref's have different hymn sheets by all accounts.

Kavinho
15-07-2016, 10:47 AM

Absolutely!!

If the grass is cut right then all those squares would be identical.... If if you look at that picture, the squares clearly are far far larger at the bottom compared to the top of the image...

Groundsman!!!!:grr::grr:

snooky
15-07-2016, 11:30 AM
:agree:

He checked back from an offside position imo, like you I'm not 100% on the ruling. Different Ref's have different hymn sheets by all accounts.

Surely if he was in an offside position then ran back to be in an onside position he is not interfering with play therefore not offside.
Once onside, he's obviously onside (okay, that sounds stupid but you get my drift).
Just one of the many one-sided decisions of a dubious performance.

I'm going to write to Sepp :cb Bladder and complain.

mim
15-07-2016, 11:35 AM
Surely if he was in an offside position then ran back to be in an onside position he is not interfering with play therefore not offside.
Once onside, he's obviously onside (okay, that sounds stupid but you get my drift).
Just one of the many one-sided decisions of a dubious performance.

I'm going to write to Sepp :cb Bladder and complain.

Too complicated. If he was onside when the ball was played, that's all that matters :greengrin

StevieT
15-07-2016, 12:20 PM

It doesn't matter where the goalkeeper kicks the ball from, it's where he is when he releases the ball from hand. If he releases the ball inside the penalty area, but is a couple of yards outside when he kicks the ball then that is ok. That doesn't mean that the officials didn't have a shocker though

hughio
15-07-2016, 02:51 PM
Raging at this injustice.

Incompetent twerps!

I was right in line in upper west and it was NOT offside.

With NL sent to the stand on top of that injustice and the stupidity of the first goal...

The feelgood factor from Hampden is already being gnawed at....

The Harp
15-07-2016, 03:04 PM
Seemed to me like the referee was determined to be the centre of attention last night, no matter how he achieved it. It was an incompetent and biased performance from him and his linesmen/assistant ref's. Think our players did well to keep their cool over some of the decisions.

Moulin Yarns
15-07-2016, 03:05 PM

Change your barber :greengrin

Spike Mandela
15-07-2016, 03:11 PM
Can any human look at two different points at the same time?

The split second between looking at the person kicking the ball and then person receiving it makes all the difference.

Offside is a fundamentally flawed rule for officials to judge when the margins are so close.

cabbageandribs1875
15-07-2016, 03:29 PM
i've been under the impression for years now that if it's 'touch and go' the attacking player gets the benefit of the doubt, oh and as someone pointed out earlier no added time for the referee clowning about with some mic or sommit...AND them wasting time by one player going over to take a corner only to get there and think..nah...him the other side of the park can take it instead, i only hope we are in a position to use the exact same tactics over there

Smartie
15-07-2016, 03:38 PM

The split second between looking at the person kicking the ball and then person receiving it makes all the difference.

Offside is a fundamentally flawed rule for officials to judge when the margins are so close.

A very good point. I've thought this for years.

The linesman got this one wrong, no doubt about it. But can you imagine what it will have looked like from his angle?

Cummings was offside then checked his run to get back onside. To me, it looks like Boyle, Cummings and the 2 defenders are all but level when the ball is played. It will have been very difficult for the referee to see exactly what is going on. A player can move onside or offside in the blink of an eye.

I remember there was a thing online for a while where you could be the linesman and you had to make decisions in real time from their position. It was blooming difficult.

That said, the rule is that the benefit of the doubt lies with the attacking team. Doesn't normally work that way though, does it?

weecounty hibby
15-07-2016, 03:57 PM

You've listened to Maria telling you men can't multitask for too long. The passing player, ball, defenders and receiving player are all in the linesmans line of sight so he should have got that one right. The ones that should be difficult are the ones where the ball comes from 50 metres away. Very poor by linesman last night

Argylehibby
15-07-2016, 04:29 PM

What about the guy that was booked then handled it but no 2nd yellow. Subbed almost immediately too which told it's own story. (BTW that was 1st half so only 5 2nd half subs and that included a double substitution)

Lost count of the fouls on Hanlon that were just ignored too.

HibeesLA
15-07-2016, 04:47 PM
I am assuming you mean T.V. coverage and if you are still unsure after that, how can a linesman, who is about a yard at least behind the play, definitely give offside? I thought the benefit of the doubt always had to go to the striker!

Officials were poor last night. The ref allowed the Bronby players to kick us off the park in the first half especially, and he was far too slow in bringing out the yellow card.
As mentioned, this tie is far from being over, very difficult but certainly not over. I wasn't overly impressed by them, a big strong physical side but as Lennon said pre-match, they are no world beaters.

Yes, was watching the Hibs TV coverage, but given where I was, with poor internet connection, I didn't have a very good picture. The image from Saul shows much better than I had seen previously, and would agree from that image that he's inside.

SunshineOnLeith
15-07-2016, 06:19 PM
It wasn't even a hard decision, like the ones you see where the attacking and defenders are running in different directions.

Cummings, the defender(s) playing him onside, and the ball, are all in a line, travelling in the same direction, right in front of the lino. It's an awful mistake.

Slim Shady
15-07-2016, 06:45 PM
What about the guy that was booked then handled it but no 2nd yellow. Subbed almost immediately too which told it's own story. (BTW that was 1st half so only 5 2nd half subs and that included a double substitution)

Lost count of the fouls on Hanlon that were just ignored too.

Bang on mate - the substitution showed he had made a Mark Hunt of it.