PDA

View Full Version : Alex Palmer coming in on loan

KWJ
15-07-2016, 03:16 AM
Sauce - Kenny Millar - https://twitter.com/Kenny_Millar/status/753488911507349504

Keeper from WBA, only 19 so a bit of an odd one. Says in the status Lennon hasn't ruled out bringing in another goalie, I'd expect as much.

Would another goalie be able to sign in time for the away leg?

SouthMoroccoStu
15-07-2016, 04:04 AM
Wasn't he in goals for the first half of The Motherwell game?

KWJ
15-07-2016, 04:34 AM

Could be, he's been training with us going by the picture.

Maybe Otso going out on loan.

Dibben
15-07-2016, 05:44 AM

Yes. That was him.

Keith_M
15-07-2016, 05:49 AM
Don't we still have an experienced Keeper at the club?

Brightside
15-07-2016, 05:55 AM

Yes. Do people really have no idea about our squad anymore.

Allant1981
15-07-2016, 06:18 AM

Maybe some folk have been away on holiday and just catching up

PiemanP
15-07-2016, 06:22 AM
There's some good loan keepers to be had from England, I remember ruddy at Motherwell and Falkirk had Krul and Kasper schmeichal at one stage. They all had experienced back ups though - guys who'd been around the Scottish leagues for a long time. If we don't have that then it worries me starting the season with 3 keepers with barely a first team game Between them.

blackpoolhibs
15-07-2016, 06:32 AM
If Palmer is good enough then all well and good, but i'd prefer it if we had a solid experienced man in goals.

The old adage that if you are good enough you are old enough is all well and good, but the jury is out on Otso and Laidlaw.

The spine of the team keeper apart does look strong these days, we will dominate most games this season, having a good keeper who is a good talker with a presence will make us better.

Having a kid who the defence are worried about and the crowd are too, seems a strange way to start the season with.

Maybe Palmer will be that keeper?

Keith_M
15-07-2016, 06:55 AM
If Palmer is good enough then all well and good, but i'd prefer it if we had a solid experienced man in goals.

:agree:

Ronniekirk
15-07-2016, 07:07 AM
Don't we still have an experienced Keeper at the club?

No is the answer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Viva_Palmeiras
15-07-2016, 07:25 AM
No is the answer

Is Combe still registered or did I miss his departure ?

Ronniekirk
15-07-2016, 07:30 AM

Still at club as coach Not sure if registered for this season but even if he is don't see Lennon opting to play him

SON OF PADDY
15-07-2016, 07:45 AM

The old adage that if you are good enough you are old enough is all well and good, but the jury is out on Otso and Laidlaw.

The spine of the team keeper apart does look strong these days, we will dominate most games this season, having a good keeper who is a good talker with a presence will make us better.

Having a kid who the defence are worried about and the crowd are too, seems a strange way to start the season with.

Maybe Palmer will be that keeper?

How is the jury out ? The lad's have played couple of games each, if that.

LaMotta
15-07-2016, 07:50 AM

I think you need to look up a definition of what the Jury being out means :greengrin

Pretty Boy
15-07-2016, 07:51 AM
I just want a good goalkeeper in goal, couldn't care if they are 19 or 39.

Every keeper will make mistakes over the course of a season. Personally I'd rather have soneone with the potential to go far in the game who makes a couple due to inexperience over a 'solid, experienced keeper' who inevitably makes mistakes because they have dropped to our level through their own limitations.

Aberdeen didn't do too badly with a young keeper last year, in fact most of the worlds best keepers were all playing 1st team football at near to the top level in their teens.

Forza Fred
15-07-2016, 07:56 AM

No disrespect to Palmer, but I think after the last few goalies, we'd be relieved to see a tried and trusty keeper in there, if we could find one.

staunchhibby
15-07-2016, 07:59 AM
We should approach McGovern and see what he is looking for.Nothing to lose have we.

GreenCastle
15-07-2016, 08:03 AM
Was he the one who played in the development games v Spartans the other night ?

SON OF PADDY
15-07-2016, 08:03 AM
I think you need to look up a definition of what the Jury being out means :greengrin

I know exactly what the term means ! Wouldn't fancy being up in front of you. 😁

allezsauzee
15-07-2016, 08:04 AM
There seems to be an obsession about having an older experienced keeper. I'd rather have a brilliant young keeper than an old huddy. Quality should be the main driver of our choice. It worked well for Aberdeen last season with Danny Ward.

number9dream
15-07-2016, 08:04 AM
Struggling to understand the logic of bringing in a teenager when the two other goalies on our books are also young and inexperienced.

Is Palmer going to be in the U20s? I though the idea of that team was to develop our players.

GloryGlory
15-07-2016, 08:06 AM

I hope you're not suggesting...

I still remember his fresh-air kick for Killie in the LC final 2007.

Carheenlea
15-07-2016, 08:10 AM

Before the game I had to check the programme to confirm Holt's first name - thought it was Gary for some reason! Always takes me a few games to get up to speed at the start if a season.

Simkin911
15-07-2016, 08:10 AM
Lots of folk were suggesting on the Oxley thread that we'd 'get better' so I guess it's just a matter of time before it happens (or maybe it already has?)

Gordy M
15-07-2016, 08:11 AM
Struggling to understand the logic of bringing in a teenager when the two other goalies on our books are also young and inexperienced.

Is Palmer going to be in the U20s? I though the idea of that team was to develop our players.

Maybe this 'inexperienced' keeper is better than the available 'experienced' keepers out there??

sleeping giant
15-07-2016, 08:11 AM

Dinnae start being a prick now

Northernhibee
15-07-2016, 08:12 AM
There's some good loan keepers to be had from England, I remember ruddy at Motherwell and Falkirk had Krul and Kasper schmeichal at one stage. They all had experienced back ups though - guys who'd been around the Scottish leagues for a long time. If we don't have that then it worries me starting the season with 3 keepers with barely a first team game Between them.
Otso has played over 100 first team games.

Moulin Yarns
15-07-2016, 08:14 AM
A few keepers available it seems

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/spieler/vertragslosespieler/statistik/1/plus/?ausrichtung=Torwart&spielerposition_id=alle&land_id=alle&wettbewerb_id=alle&seit=alle&yt0=Show

Examples

Michael Gspurning Austrian age 35 just left Shalke '04

Alexander Manninger Austrian age 39 just left FC Augsburg

Yves Makabu-Makalambay unattached :wink:

scooby
15-07-2016, 08:15 AM
We need a confident, capable keeper above all else. Felt sorry for Otso last night, but it was clear that the defence had no confidence in him, and would play the ball out rather than pass back. His distribution was fairly poor and he didn't look comfortable with the ball at his feet.
If we're to win the league we need this position sorted fast.

Ronniekirk
15-07-2016, 08:18 AM

I said when he came on trial and went straight into the Motherwell game that it was unlikely he was for development team I am assuming he is being assessed as potential first team material
Lennon wont want to be rushed and is rightly looking at what we have on our books first and must be happy with Laid Law in training g to have signed him as back up
But he knows he needs a No 1 for when League starts so assume we will be looking and keeping options open

LaMotta
15-07-2016, 08:43 AM
I know exactly what the term means ! Wouldn't fancy being up in front of you. 

So if you know what it means, what is wrong with Blackpool's assertion that its too early to make a judgement on the young keepers yet?

snooky
15-07-2016, 09:19 AM
We should have kept Conrad for another 6 months to tide us over until we get the keeper we want and need.

Ozyhibby
15-07-2016, 09:23 AM
We should have kept Conrad for another 6 months to tide us over until we get the keeper we want and need.

Even a flexible deal that allows him to leave once he has something else tied up.

J-C
15-07-2016, 09:25 AM
Otso is a strange one, he has plenty of experience in Finland and the league he played in was comparable to this league, so I can't understand why he's so nervous when he plays, is it possibly the added expectations that playing for Hibs does to a player. He will have seen how many turned so quickly on Oxley when mistakes were made, that in itself will have put added pressure on him and if he is already nervous, then he will struggle here.

Palmer looked assured on sunday, communicated well with the defence and made a couple of decent saves.

I couldn't care less what age a keeper is as long as he's good enough to play at the level we need.

w pilton hibby
15-07-2016, 09:33 AM

According to Kenny Millar (the Sun one) Oxley and Logan were not rated by NL so presumably were let go.

Frazerbob
15-07-2016, 09:37 AM

Somebody woke up in a bad mood this morning. Poor post.

Big Paws
15-07-2016, 09:47 AM

Couldn't agree more given we haven't signed a keeper on a permanent deal. Would've been good for all parties IMO.

neil7908
15-07-2016, 11:16 AM
I loved Logan whilst he was here but let's be honest, for lack of a better phrase there was a mistake in him as well (see the play off semi versus Falkirk). I agree a 6 month deal would have been a decent option but as long as we have a quality keeper, regardless of age, in before the league starts I'll be happy

1987kev
15-07-2016, 11:27 AM
If your good enough your old enough imo I think everyone would have took Danny Rodgers who is only 22 and who had a excellent season last season. The back 4 gray mcgregor Hanlon Stevenson don't need someone shouting at them for 90 minutes all need this someone who is a steady Eddie if your 19 or 35 it doesn't matter just keep the ball out the onion bag.

SON OF PADDY
15-07-2016, 04:21 PM
So if you know what it means, what is wrong with Blackpool's assertion that its too early to make a judgement on the young keepers yet?

That's what I said in my post " it's far too early to judge the boys " I was defending them, not berating them.

greenlex
15-07-2016, 04:46 PM
Lennon must have someone coming in. We will have someone by the Falkirk game. My bet is its McGovern.

LaMotta
15-07-2016, 04:58 PM
That's what I said in my post " it's far too early to judge the boys " I was defending them, not berating them.

Yes, so that means you agree that the jury is out!

blackpoolhibs
15-07-2016, 06:36 PM

So the jury is still currently out then?

Kato
15-07-2016, 06:51 PM
I'd prefer it if his name was Alex Catcher.

Baldy Foghorn
15-07-2016, 06:53 PM
Lennon must have someone coming in. We will have someone by the Falkirk game. My bet is its McGovern.

No chance A, Southampton offering mega bucks to him.........

Andy74
15-07-2016, 06:53 PM

Don't the jury go out at precisely the time to judge? If the jury is out the judging is happening.

SON OF PADDY
15-07-2016, 08:06 PM

Ok the Jury is OUT !!!! lol

blackpoolhibs
15-07-2016, 08:06 PM
Don't the jury go out at precisely the time to judge? If the jury is out the judging is happening.

Thats right, what was the verdict?

SON OF PADDY
15-07-2016, 08:14 PM

I think that happened at 19.45 last night.
Some of the folks around me should have a serious word with themselves.

bod
15-07-2016, 08:33 PM

who's the 12 on the jury ?

blackpoolhibs
15-07-2016, 08:53 PM
who's the 12 on the jury ?

There's a lot more than 12.

Thecat23
15-07-2016, 08:56 PM
Age means sod all if your a keeper. It's an old myth that the older you get the better.

AC Millan keeper Donnarumma is superb, remind me how old he was again when he made his debut?

if Lennon brought in some random 18 year old then I'd be happy if he thinks he's good enough.

hibsbollah
15-07-2016, 09:02 PM
I just want a good goalkeeper in goal, couldn't care if they are 19 or 39.

Every keeper will make mistakes over the course of a season. Personally I'd rather have soneone with the potential to go far in the game who makes a couple due to inexperience over a 'solid, experienced keeper' who inevitably makes mistakes because they have dropped to our level through their own limitations.

Aberdeen didn't do too badly with a young keeper last year, in fact most of the worlds best keepers were all playing 1st team football at near to the top level in their teens.

Peter Shilton the best example. Signed from school football by Leicester City, made the first team as a teenager (17 years old iirc) and ended up displacing Gordon Banks and being one of the best ever keepers.

Jonnyboy
15-07-2016, 09:06 PM
Peter Shilton the best example. Signed from school football by Leicester City, made the first team as a teenager (17 years old iirc) and ended up displacing Gordon Banks and being one of the best ever keepers.

Ronnie Simpson was a regular for Queens Park when he was only 15. Had a pretty good career too :greengrin

Big L
15-07-2016, 09:10 PM

You can forget that one, Burnley apparently interested.

bod
16-07-2016, 08:47 PM
There's a lot more than 12.
nae names then ?

Scouse Hibee
16-07-2016, 08:52 PM

Maybe not,the jury can be out a long time and unable to come to a decision based on the evidence before them.

mim
16-07-2016, 09:14 PM
Ronnie Simpson was a regular for Queens Park when he was only 15. Had a pretty good career too :greengrin

Yup, made his debut at 14. Great 'keeper :agree:

ekhibee
16-07-2016, 10:19 PM
No chance A, Southampton offering mega bucks to him.........
They must be offering him megabucks to sit on the bench then, can't see him getting a game ahead of Fraser Forster.

eastterrace
16-07-2016, 10:28 PM
Yup, made his debut at 14. Great 'keeper :agree: sorry can't agree about being a great keeper check out the goal Czechoslovakia us , pure pish . He got lucky with Celtic that's my take on it

portycabbage
16-07-2016, 10:31 PM
I'd prefer it if his name was Alex Catcher.

Perhaps Alex Fister might have been a decent compromise. Or perhaps not.

cmcd
16-07-2016, 10:51 PM
sorry can't agree about being a great keeper check out the goal Czechoslovakia us , pure pish . He got lucky with Celtic that's my take on it

Talking rubbish

Andy74
16-07-2016, 10:55 PM
Maybe not,the jury can be out a long time and unable to come to a decision based on the evidence before them.

Yes but them talking about it is the judging. The verdict is a different matter.

Scouse Hibee
16-07-2016, 11:03 PM
Yes but them talking about it is the judging. The verdict is a different matter.

Nah juries don't judge mate never have done.

Speedy
16-07-2016, 11:10 PM
If he's good enough he's old enough.

The AC Milan keeper is 17 and kept Diego Lopez (a guy who not so long ago was first choice for Madrid over Casillas) out the team.

Scouse Hibee
16-07-2016, 11:12 PM
If he's good enough he's old enough.

The AC Milan keeper is 17 and kept Diego Lopez (a guy who not so long ago was first choice for Madrid over Casillas) out the team.

Young keepers tend to be so under the spotlight especially with the folk who still believe that keepers need to be at least thirty to be any good.

Speedy
16-07-2016, 11:18 PM
That's not a problem if he's good enough.

Nutmegged
16-07-2016, 11:21 PM
Age won't put Lennon off, Artur Boruc was regarded as the best Celtic keeper in about 25 years at least and when he sold him he replaced him with a young English keeper on loan by the name of Frazer Forster

Andy74
16-07-2016, 11:48 PM
Nah juries don't judge mate never have done.

They are charged with deciding on the facts of the case whether or not the defendant is guilty of the charges. They aren't Judges but they are judging.

Big L
16-07-2016, 11:54 PM
They must be offering him megabucks to sit on the bench then, can't see him getting a game ahead of Fraser Forster.

Talking to Burnley as well.

Scouse Hibee
17-07-2016, 04:41 AM
They are charged with deciding on the facts of the case whether or not the defendant is guilty of the charges. They aren't Judges but they are judging.

Nearly, but if the jury is out the judgement aint happening,that only happens when they return which is the whole point you tried to make.

Pretty Boy
17-07-2016, 06:00 AM

Megabucks up here could be sweeties down there though. If he was on £900 a week at Hamilton and Southampton are offering 10 times that he's be mad to turn it down even if it is a fraction of what their top earners are making.

Andy74
17-07-2016, 07:38 AM
Nearly, but if the jury is out the judgement aint happening,that only happens when they return which is the whole point you tried to make.

No when they return they are providing their answer. When they are out they have already seen all the facts and they are making their judgement.

People used 'the jury is still out' phrase I presume to say it's too early to make a judgement because we have seen enough facts yet. Not enough games to form the judgement. If the jury was out they've already see what they need to see.

Scouse Hibee
17-07-2016, 09:33 AM
No when they return they are providing their answer. When they are out they have already seen all the facts and they are making their judgement.

People used 'the jury is still out' phrase I presume to say it's too early to make a judgement because we have seen enough facts yet. Not enough games to form the judgement. If the jury was out they've already see what they need to see.

Haha you're tying yourself in knots here, if the jury is stil out no judgement can be delivered is the point lol

ekhibee
18-07-2016, 03:03 PM
Megabucks up here could be sweeties down there though. If he was on £900 a week at Hamilton and Southampton are offering 10 times that he's be mad to turn it down even if it is a fraction of what their top earners are making.
Good point, but it looks like McGovern's off to Norwich anyway.

Andy74
18-07-2016, 03:24 PM
Haha you're tying yourself in knots here, if the jury is stil out no judgement can be delivered is the point lol

Delivering a judgement is quite a different point.

It's a pretty common misuse of the phrase though when the intention is presumably to suggest that there isn't enough to go on to make the judgement.

In the case of Virtanen the evidence is yet to to be fully seen so the jury wouldn't be out as yet.

I'm still going to say he's guilty though. :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
18-07-2016, 04:39 PM
Delivering a judgement is quite a different point.

It's a pretty common misuse of the phrase though when the intention is presumably to suggest that there isn't enough to go on to make the judgement.

In the case of Virtanen the evidence is yet to to be fully seen so the jury wouldn't be out as yet.

I'm still going to say he's guilty though. :greengrin

Fair enough, I always considered the phrase to mean that people were undecided on something and would need longer to come to a decision like a jury still being out.

Either way your honour (Andy) I agree with your judgement :-)

Big_Franck
18-07-2016, 04:44 PM
Fair enough, I always considered the phrase to mean that people were undecided on something and would need longer to come to a decision like a jury still being out.

Either way your honour (Andy) I agree with your judgement :-)

That's what I consider "the jury's still out" to mean as well.

What did those who were at the Motherwell game make of him? I'd heard he was at fault for their goal but having watched the highlights it was a great free kick.

Keith_M
18-07-2016, 05:17 PM
What's with the '12 people on the jury' crap?

There are 15 people on a jury... in proper countries

:wink:

snooky
18-07-2016, 05:20 PM

Not according to David Jacobs. :cool2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n344j6IUCVc

WhileTheChief..
18-07-2016, 05:30 PM
15 Angry Men, cracking movie.

LaMotta
18-07-2016, 10:04 PM

That's what I consider "the jury's still out" to mean as well.

Thats because that is exactly what it does mean :greengrin

http://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/the-jury-is-still-out-on

jacomo
18-07-2016, 10:53 PM

Obvs.

snooky
18-07-2016, 11:21 PM

It was Stormin' Norman I first heard using the 'jury's out' phrase (in the gulf war).
They also had a nice way of saying "we killed lots of people" but I can't remember what it was.

Sorry -> :hijack:

hibsbollah
19-07-2016, 05:09 AM
It was Stormin' Norman I first heard using the 'jury's out' phrase (in the gulf war).
They also had a nice way of saying "we killed lots of people" but I can't remember what it was.

Sorry -> :hijack:

Collateral damage. :hijack:

As in 'As Makalamby rose to claim the high ball, there was substantial collateral damage in the Hibs penalty box' (no :hijack: )

LaMotta
19-07-2016, 08:24 AM
Obvs.

So you would think.......

Andy74
19-07-2016, 08:31 AM

Yep and still wrong when talking about something you actually haven't seen enough of as yet to make that decision, that's the point.

Juries sit through the entire evidence and then go away and try and reach a conclusion based on what they have seen and heard.

When talking about our goalkeeper I don't think this applies as we've seen one game and a few minutes, so people really mean that its too early to judge as they haven't seen enough evidence yet.

So, the jury isn't even out yet.

Future17
19-07-2016, 08:53 AM

So Scotland isn't a proper country then? :wink:

snooky
19-07-2016, 09:10 AM
Collateral damage. :hijack:

As in 'As Makalamby rose to claim the high ball, there was substantial collateral damage in the Hibs penalty box' (no :hijack: )

That's the one :aok:

bingo70
19-07-2016, 09:28 AM
Sorry to interrupt the dead interesting debate about Jury's but anybody heard anything about Alex Palmer? Has he been good in training? Anyone have a cousin that supports West Brom that says he's the best keeper in the world ever? Anyone seen his car parked outside the club shop with a personalised number plate?

Lennon said at the end of last week (I think) that he expected the deal to go through imminently so a bit surprised we've not heard anything yet. Team will be flying out tomorrow and if we're allowed one additional signing I'd hope it would be announced today.

GloryGlory
19-07-2016, 10:21 AM
Sorry to interrupt the dead interesting debate about Jury's but anybody heard anything about Alex Palmer? Has he been good in training? Anyone have a cousin that supports West Brom that says he's the best keeper in the world ever? Anyone seen his car parked outside the club shop with a personalised number plate?

Lennon said at the end of last week (I think) that he expected the deal to go through imminently so a bit surprised we've not heard anything yet. Team will be flying out tomorrow and if we're allowed one additional signing I'd hope it would be announced today.

I'm kind of hoping that the reason we haven't announced anything is that we have made a fandabbydozy signing, but we don't want to alert Bronby until the last possible moment. :greengrin

Waxy
19-07-2016, 11:31 AM
Cant we just sign the worlds fattest guy and plonk him in the goal line and tell him to flap his arms about?

stokesmessiah
19-07-2016, 11:37 AM
Cant we just sign the worlds fattest guy and plonk him in the goal line and tell him to flap his arms about?

We let Conrad go :greengrin

The Captain....
19-07-2016, 11:52 AM

Kenny Millar, the journalist, didn't sound too optimistic on twitter that we'd see any signings this week, wouldn't expect so now with the game to concentrate on this Thursday. Sounds as if our initial targets have gone elsewhere or are still keeping their options open.

I'm pretty frustrated we haven't been able to bring in a goalkeeper by now tho, the other positions I feel we can afford to wait on but I;d liked to have seen us bring a recognised first team keeper in by now.

Colr
19-07-2016, 11:53 AM

Been done!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Foulke_(footballer)

Dashing Bob S
19-07-2016, 12:48 PM

Good idea. It worked in the cup at Hampden.

Bald Reynard
19-07-2016, 01:42 PM

I have a mate who is a Kidderminster Harriers fan. Palmer went in on loan last summer and played a dozen or so games at the beginning of the season (the only first team experience he has). My mate says he was the dog's b's - and was far better than would have been expected given his age. Harriers tried to sign him permanently in January, but Albion wouldn't let him go then.

ekhibee
19-07-2016, 02:38 PM
I have a mate who is a Kidderminster Harriers fan. Palmer went in on loan last summer and played a dozen or so games at the beginning of the season (the only first team experience he has). My mate says he was the dog's b's - and was far better than would have been expected given his age. Harriers tried to sign him permanently in January, but Albion wouldn't let him go then.
Good news. Just cos a keeper's young and might not necessarily have reached his potential, he could still be a really important player for us this season.

Unseen work
19-07-2016, 11:35 PM
Why has this not happened yet? You would think with him coming in on trial as soon as we say yes it would be done.

You would also expect it to of been done for the second leg.

Has lennon had a change of mind and doesn't rate him Hugh enough? Has another option popped up that wasn't there before?

Forza Fred
19-07-2016, 11:58 PM
Unfair to judge him on his time between the sticks against Motherwell alone, but any goalie coming in is unfortunately going to carry the handicap weight of goalkeepers past, and must clearly show that he is above the previous standard.

Not sure he did that in any way against Motherwell....but as I say..we do tend to very critically analyse our goalie's these days.

Like most old farts, would prefer an experienced steady pair of hands there...as the defence will lose confidence with a juggler behind them.