PDA

View Full Version : At last!!

Mikey09
14-07-2016, 11:12 PM
A centre forward who will bully the life out of centre halves in the championship! Grant Holt is the kind player I've been desperate to see get us out this league. Keep him fit and we win the league. Now a keeper, centre mid and a couple of strikers please Neil. :aok:

gramskiwood
14-07-2016, 11:16 PM
I'm really liking the look of him he's intelligent and physical.

snooky
14-07-2016, 11:17 PM
Opinions, eh?

Onceinawhile
14-07-2016, 11:18 PM
Opinions, eh?

Aye. Some are strange.

Mikey09
14-07-2016, 11:19 PM
Opinions, eh?

Then give us one instead of being sarcastic...

14-07-2016, 11:22 PM
On tonight's display (alone) he's certainly no the answer, I'm afraid to say. He may well do better against Championship defences but after tonight the jury is well and truly out. That all said, I'm all for giving everyone a decent kick at the baw' ......

CallumHibs07
14-07-2016, 11:23 PM
Did he jump for a header all night?

Ricky Bobby
14-07-2016, 11:24 PM
I'm really liking the look of him he's intelligent and physical.

Agree, Far more of a physical threat than we have previously had some nice touches.

Skyegreen
14-07-2016, 11:27 PM
I think he's just what we've been crying out for. He'll bully defended and he'll hold balls up and lay off. He's going to be a Hibs legend by the end of this season if we can keep him fit!

Great attitude for a 35 year old 👍💚

Itsnoteasy
14-07-2016, 11:28 PM

Won a couple.
Also dived like Peter Pawlett in the box.

snooky
14-07-2016, 11:30 PM
Then give us one instead of being sarcastic...
Not being sarcastic at all. Just trying to say that I disagree and that it's strange how we all see things differently.

Hope that pours some oil over troubled waters.

Onceinawhile
14-07-2016, 11:32 PM
On tonight's display (alone) he's certainly no the answer, I'm afraid to say. He may well do better against Championship defences but after tonight the jury is well and truly out. That all said, I'm all for giving everyone a decent kick at the baw' ......

On tonight's display he'll look right in the championship. About a stone and a half overweight and perpetually offside.

HibeeLR
14-07-2016, 11:35 PM
Didn't have the best of games, as we were up against a good Brondby side. Expect him to have a good season in the championship though 👍

dmc1875
14-07-2016, 11:36 PM
I thought he was excellent and his work rate for a 35 year old was absolutely superb.

snooky
14-07-2016, 11:38 PM

It depends on how you define 'jump' (i.e. in inches of the ground)

(for the record, I'm being sarcastic)

Mikey09
14-07-2016, 11:38 PM

Yes.

14-07-2016, 11:40 PM
I thought he was excellent and his work rate for a 35 year old was absolutely superb.

I thought he was pretty far away from being "excellent" tbh. As I said though, happy to give him a chance rather than wet the bed over him being an awful signing just yet. I'm sure most Championship defences won't be as athletic and organised as Brondby's were. If he helps us get promoted then fine.

Bishop Hibee
14-07-2016, 11:44 PM
I thought he won lots of headers tonight against a far better team than any we'll play in the Championship.

Hibee Mac
15-07-2016, 12:50 AM
Tbf I thought he won a lot in the air and had some nice layoffs/link-up play with others. I agree he's exactly what we need and cummings should thrive off the service

Hermit Crab
15-07-2016, 01:26 AM
He done more than Cummings. Good performance from him tonight. I do think Harris should have started out wide though. Been excellent in pre season matches so far.

Steve20
15-07-2016, 05:22 AM
I thought he did ok. Certainly enough to think he'll do well in the Championship this season.

Brightside
15-07-2016, 05:51 AM
On tonight's display he'll look right in the championship. About a stone and a half overweight and perpetually offside.

Cummings offside just as much if not more.

hibbiedon
15-07-2016, 07:47 AM
Yes.
He was being fouled every time he jumped, he seemed to stop jumping and let the defender fall on their *****

BoltonHibee
15-07-2016, 07:59 AM
I wasn't particularly impressed with this signing, having seen a lot of him in recent times.

Yes he does " bully " defenders at certain points, the issue is that at times he does this at times when he should be either holding the ball up, laying the ball off or flicking ball on. At times he is extremely lazy, watch when he is in an offside position and how long it takes for him to get back on side making it difficult for rest of side to advance in an offensive position. He has been hammered previously for this ( get back on side then get your breather. It may not be long before we see him coming out for throw ins, again this is for him to have breathers. He is a couple of stone over weight ( again this has been the case for a couple of years ago). If he did go down easily last night in box ( it looked like it to me but haven't seen a replay) this is also symptomatic of his game, at times when it's easier to pull the trigger.

To be fair to him, at times he did drop in and defend, and fought back for the ball when lost which he's not really known for.
He needs a forklift to get off the ground too, doesn't win too many headers.

Shrekko
15-07-2016, 08:08 AM
I suppose you should never be surprised what you read on here, especially 'critiques' of our own players but pretty stunned that some can't seem to see what Holt offers. It seemed entirely obvious to me that when he didn't jump it was entirely deliberate and he won plenty of balls he went up for. Every time a ball came in there were players all over him and it was causing havoc- we weren't even contesting these last season.

To me, we played a far more dynamic game last night and a lot of that was down to having Holt in the middle. Some of his link up play was also very good.

We're going to murder teams this season- I'm totally convinced of that and he'll be the difference.

flash
15-07-2016, 08:22 AM
He done more than Cummings. Good performance from him tonight. I do think Harris should have started out wide though. Been excellent in pre season matches so far.

Other than Cummings scoring a perfectly good goal anyway.

Pretty Boy
15-07-2016, 08:24 AM

He won a few. What was more impressive was the number he made the opposition CHs miss through his presence.

Ronniekirk
15-07-2016, 08:25 AM
Cummings offside just as much if not more.

Its a part of his game he really needs to work on Hopefully Lennon has a plan to address this issue given he feels he can make him a better player

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shrekko
15-07-2016, 08:31 AM
He won a few. What was more impressive was the number he made the opposition CHs miss through his presence.

A lot of those missed headers by the opposition were on the occasions he didn't jump but rather held his ground and made it impossible for his marker to get up and make clearing headers...and people now seem to be complaining about. He knows exactly what he's doing, just like Mixu did.

Pretty Boy
15-07-2016, 08:34 AM
A lot of those missed headers by the opposition were on the occasions he didn't jump but rather held his ground and made it impossible for his marker to get up and make clearing headers...and people now seem to be complaining about. He knows exactly what he's doing, just like Mixu did.
That's how I saw it. He did remind me a bit of Mixu although he has plenty to do to match what he done for Hibs as a player.

I think sometimes people see what they expect to see though and I'm sure I'm no exception.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Smartie
15-07-2016, 08:50 AM
He impressed me.

Clearly carrying a bit of timber he gave their CH's a really uncomfortable night. As has been pointed out in the most recent posts, we can moan about him not jumping or not winning headers if we want but they key thing was that his man didn't win a clean header all night, often missing the ball completely. That keeps the ball in dangerous areas rather than having it come straight back at us (which has happened all too often in the past).

He had a few nice touches and lay-offs.

I thought he looked like he was exactly what we've been crying out for and the likes of Cummings, Boyle, Keatings and even McGinn driving on from deep will feel the benefit of his presence.

He'll do very well indeed in the league.

Between Holt and McGregor at either end of the park we've got a nice bit of physical presence and aggression about us now.

West hamBERNIAN
15-07-2016, 08:57 AM
I'm quite confident he'll do really well for us this year. Doesn't have a great leap to be fair but wasn't helped by some of the passes. When the ball was played at him he won it nearly every time against pretty solid looking centre backs. Fingers crossed.

AdidasHibernian
15-07-2016, 09:04 AM
As much as I think Holt will be a great signing for us, I would still like Keatings to get a decent run this year. Always rated him and could easily be a 15-20+ scorer in this league for us in my opinion.

But do agree with most that Holt & Cummings will be out number one strike partnership this season!

:flag:

Ozyhibby
15-07-2016, 09:22 AM
I thought he done ok last night but was excellent against Motherwell. He won't play against as good a defence as last night at all in the league this season. I'm hopeful that he will do well for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk