PDA

View Full Version : Hibs TV - Overseas coverage (or lack of it)

Forza Fred
14-07-2016, 10:56 PM
Appreciate that home based fans don't get live coverage, but at the other end of the world, while happy to get up at 3am to see the likes of Alloa covered live, when we DO get the chance of a European game to be beamed in real time, it makes the subscription and broken sleep worthwhile.

Therefore the non delivery of live coverage for the Brondby game disappointed many who follow from afar.

It appears that Brondby too, were annoyed that they could not beam live coverage to their fans, according to the Scotsman anyway.

What I and many others would like to know though is WHY there was no live coverage?

Hibs put out a pretty non specific statement and my email to Hibs tv has not been answered.

Anyone actually KNOW what the reason was?

Amit
14-07-2016, 11:53 PM
Hi Forza Fred,

I posted the below on the Hibees Bounce a few minutes ago.

From what I understand the Club wanted to focus on attracting as many supporters as possible to come to Easter Road for our first competitive home match of the season.

I believe there have also been some piracy issues related to online streaming which the Club are looking into.

I've noted the feedback on overseas supporters not being able to view the match and will add this to the Board report.

GGTTH

Amit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Andy74
15-07-2016, 12:12 AM
Watching the replayed game wasn't helped by the graphic for the second half showing a screen shot of the score fairly late in the game!

To add to the initial point it's the communication and honesty that was sadly lacking here as much as anything.

Forza Fred
15-07-2016, 12:44 AM
Hi Forza Fred,

From what I understand the Club wanted to focus on attracting as many supporters as possible to come to Easter Road for our first competitive home match of the season.

I believe there have also been some piracy issues related to online streaming which the Club are looking into.

I've noted the feedback on overseas supporters not being able to view the match and will add this to the Board report.

GGTTH

Amit

Thanks Amit.

I await your further feedback with interest.

Don't know the whole story so not having a whinge as such, but as a relatively new Hibs tv subscriber am disappointed, and also with what seems perennial 'late' advice as to whether matches are being televised or not being televised.

Its not particularly easy being a Hibee at the other end of the world, and while we can't make many matches like the home based fans, I'm sure the club knows how we still support them financially as much as we can.

Not sure how blocking a telecast to Australia and the U.S can result in many more bums on seats, but if it is to do with fears of possible local 'piracy ' of an overseas feed then perhaps the whole concept needs to be rethought, as I'm sure many won't want to be paying the monthly subscription to suddenly find out that there is no live coverage throughout the season.

We aint the only club with tv channels so 'presumably the others have found a solution.

OsloHibs
15-07-2016, 01:53 AM
I cancelled Hibs TV as I had a feeling we weren't gonna get to see it- and sadly my feelings were right. And the reason Amit gives makes me very angry. Other clubs manage it- but hibs can't.

Steve-O
15-07-2016, 01:55 AM
Thanks Amit.

I await your further feedback with interest.

Don't know the whole story so not having a whinge as such, but as a relatively new Hibs tv subscriber am disappointed, and also with what seems perennial 'late' advice as to whether matches are being televised or not being televised.

Its not particularly easy being a Hibee at the other end of the world, and while we can't make many matches like the home based fans, I'm sure the club knows how we still support them financially as much as we can.

Not sure how blocking a telecast to Australia and the U.S can result in many more bums on seats, but if it is to do with fears of possible local 'piracy ' of an overseas feed then perhaps the whole concept needs to be rethought, as I'm sure many won't want to be paying the monthly subscription to suddenly find out that there is no live coverage throughout the season.

We aint the only club with tv channels so 'presumably the others have found a solution.

Agreed. I would suggest that people paying 8.99 and using a VPN to watch the game inside the UK are few and far between. I would VERY much doubt there are many people in Edinburgh who would rather pay 8.99 to watch an often unreliable stream rather than go to the game! If the game is actually on TV, that's a different story but nothing to do with this issue.

I'm not aware of any illegitimate streaming of Hibs TV. If there has been, I've never seen it. There is streaming via Periscope of course, but that's also another issue and hardly a great way to watch a match in any case.

Definitely agree on the point about the poor communication too. I was swithering about whether to re-subscribe to Hibs TV so that I could see this game, and yet a mere 12 hours or less before kick off, there was STILL no information about whether the game was going to be on. In the end I didn't bother and Hibs don't have my 8.99.

Surely it can't be that hard to have an employee who is focused on this sort of thing?

KWJ
15-07-2016, 02:43 AM
Watching the replayed game wasn't helped by the graphic for the second half showing a screen shot of the score fairly late in the game!

To add to the initial point it's the communication and honesty that was sadly lacking here as much as anything.

I've emailed them about this before and it didn't happen again for the remaining games of the season (that I noticed) so it's disappointed to see it come back.

The highlights are put together by a company that does a few other teams AFAIK so it's hard to imagine that they don't know what they're doing.

KWJ
15-07-2016, 02:46 AM
Agreed. I would suggest that people paying 8.99 and using a VPN to watch the game inside the UK are few and far between. I would VERY much doubt there are many people in Edinburgh who would rather pay 8.99 to watch an often unreliable stream rather than go to the game! If the game is actually on TV, that's a different story but nothing to do with this issue.

I'm not aware of any illegitimate streaming of Hibs TV. If there has been, I've never seen it. There is streaming via Periscope of course, but that's also another issue and hardly a great way to watch a match in any case.

Definitely agree on the point about the poor communication too. I was swithering about whether to re-subscribe to Hibs TV so that I could see this game, and yet a mere 12 hours or less before kick off, there was STILL no information about whether the game was going to be on. In the end I didn't bother and Hibs don't have my 8.99.

Surely it can't be that hard to have an employee who is focused on this sort of thing?

Agreed.

I'd imagine the piracy thing relates to folk in the UK using the VPN but as you mentioned, surely the few fans that do this are only doing so because they can't get to the game for one reason or another.

GreenLake
15-07-2016, 03:55 AM
Hi Forza Fred,

GGTTH

Amit

I find this explanation strange. Only those outside the UK can see the game so how does this affect the numbers they were hoping to attract from local people who are not able to watch live video on HibsTV?

This type of drastic action - one that punishes the majority of legitimate foreign subscribers along with a few local VPN hackers - does not seem like it was intelligently considered.

Wee Effen Bee
15-07-2016, 04:58 AM
[QUOTE=Amit;4761054]Hi Forza Fred,

GGTTH

Amit

Hi Amit. Good to see you are on the case and have responded very quickly. However, I think your answer just invites more questions: surely if the club were wanting more walk ups, preventing the televising of the game abroad - and leaving it till the last minute to let us know - probably wasn't the way to do it. I can only guess whoever decided this had taken into account the fact that a lot of subscribers would be extremely unhappy but felt it was justified at this time. If not, then it is an appallingly poor error of judgement IMHO.
I have had a season ticket for donkey's years, attend most away matches, continue to pay my £18:75 a month (even though it's been well over a year) and I have subscribed to Hibs TV for ages. I believed that when the time came to actually watch a meaningful game, when I was out of the country, I would be safe in the knowledge that HTV would kick in and I could watch the match I would have attended if I had been back in Edinburgh. Sadly this was not the case and, like a great many others, I was left frustrated and somewhat bemused at not being able to watch the team play their first competitive game of the season.
Here's hoping the decision-makers learn from yesterday and our overseas Hibbies won't be treated in the same way again. I know a few people have said they are cancelling their subscription due to this but I hope it is a knee-jerk reaction and, after some thought, they continue to tune in.
GGTTH

scotiaf
15-07-2016, 05:34 AM
I can understand then potentially not wanting to televise the game to gain extra fans through the gates. But to decided not to show the game on Hibs tv ( which is designed for overseas viewers ) is an absolute disgrace. I was annoyed last year that numerous games were not shown due to UEFA but understood that was not Hibs fault.

However considering cancelling now.

On the run up to it there was no explanation, just a little finger pointing to the club by various sources.

Shambles

Callum_62
15-07-2016, 05:43 AM
Pretty simple really - if Hibs chose not to show this game on there own TV channel, designed for overseas fans then its absolutely shocking

Forza Fred
15-07-2016, 07:16 AM
Pretty simple really - if Hibs chose not to show this game on there own TV channel, designed for overseas fans then its absolutely shocking

I'm inclined to wait for the explanation before getting too hot under the collar.

Both Supporters reps on the board are now aware of it, so presumably a 'feeshal' explanation should be forthcoming soon.....my original email has still went unanswered.

Certainly, if Amit's suggestion that because of an unquantified issue with 'Pirates' WAS the reason to deny innocent overseas supporters of the chance to follow the game live through the sometimes extremely dodgy looking Hibs Tv telecast, then I'm not sure it was a well thought out decision.

Watching a game on Hibs Tv is fraught with possibilities of freezing, buffering and various other internet maladies..it is difficult to think that the risks involved would convince someone not to attend the game if they possibly could, and instead take their chances watching it on a pirate feed.

PeeJay
15-07-2016, 07:32 AM
I'm inclined to wait for the explanation before getting too hot under the collar.

Both Supporters reps on the board are now aware of it, so presumably a 'feeshal' explanation should be forthcoming soon.....my original email has still went unanswered.

Certainly, if Amit's suggestion that because of an unquantified issue with 'Pirates' WAS the reason to deny innocent overseas supporters of the chance to follow the game live through the sometimes extremely dodgy looking Hibs Tv telecast, then I'm not sure it was a well thought out decision.

Watching a game on Hibs Tv is fraught with possibilities of freezing, buffering and various other internet maladies..it is difficult to think that the risks involved would convince someone not to attend the game if they possibly could, and instead take their chances watching it on a pirate feed.

The Hearts cup game last season was also "not shown" as were one or two other home games: there is some strange ongoing policy at work here (doesn't seem thought through to me) - Anyway, seems to me the subscribers of many years (in some instances) are being sold short here. The lack of communication is indeed shocking and it has been so for some time, ever since Andrew left IMO.
The broadcast quality you refer to has improved enormously since the old days when you really could hardly see anything. An email I sent to HIbs TV was forwarded to the Club, but as yet no answer. I've cancelled my subscription - as I live in Berlin I won't however be attending ER instead.

The Green Goblin
15-07-2016, 09:47 AM
The Hearts cup game last season was also "not shown" as were one or two other home games: there is some strange ongoing policy at work here (doesn't seem thought through to me) - Anyway, seems to me the subscribers of many years (in some instances) are being sold short here. The lack of communication is indeed shocking and it has been so for some time, ever since Andrew left IMO.
The broadcast quality you refer to has improved enormously since the old days when you really could hardly see anything. An email I sent to HIbs TV was forwarded to the Club, but as yet no answer. I've cancelled my subscription - as I live in Berlin I won't however be attending ER instead.

:agree:

I've been watching the games from abroad for many years. Stream quality is now HD and stable; the the old buffering or other issues are long gone. Communication about stuff though, is still poor and inconsistent, unfortunately. Last night, I was in the UK, but up near Inverness, so wanted to listen to the game, but the audio player didn't appear on the page. I sent the form from the page and to be fair, a response was emailed to me, but by that point I had found it on Radio Scotland 810mw. Had I been where I normally am, of course, I couldn't have done this, as the BBC only broadcast radio coverage of games within the UK. As for the pirating issue, surely it is pretty straightforward to tell if someone is in the UK or not? I also pay my subscription with my "foreign" credit card etc.

Billy Whizz
15-07-2016, 09:50 AM
Disappointed for all the overseas fans, Hibs have let you down

Bamba
15-07-2016, 11:30 AM

Living abroad, it was disappointing not to be able to see pictures last night. I think shocking is a bit of an overstatement but I'd have appreciated more notice.
I'll wait until there's an official explanation.

JimBHibees
17-07-2016, 01:17 PM
On hols at the moment and subscribed assuming game would be shown. Assumed there was a rights issue with not showing game to now hear it was to encourage fans to go to the game because of piracy issues is completely nonsensical. The minute number Imo this would impact is in stark contrast to disappointed dedicated oversea fans who would feel let down by this. The lack of any sort of clear communication of this decision when the club must have known there would be many fans on holiday for this game smacks of a level of cynical manipulation I wouldn't like to associate with the club.

Forza Fred
17-07-2016, 02:10 PM
On hols at the moment and subscribed assuming game would be shown. Assumed there was a rights issue with not showing game to now hear it was to encourage fans to go to the game because of piracy issues is completely nonsensical. The minute number Imo this would impact is in stark contrast to disappointed dedicated oversea fans who would feel let down by this. The lack of any sort of clear communication of this decision when the club must have known there would be many fans on holiday for this game smacks of a level of cynical manipulation I wouldn't like to associate with the club.

Jim,

Generally us o/s fans are a placid lot, and generally accept what scraps are thrown our way, so I speak only for masel.

I've asked the question of Hibs TV as to WHY the game was not shown...at the moment there is Amit's suggestion that it was to ensure there were no piracy issues involved, but at the moment, until it is confirmed I'm treating it just as that, a suggestion.

If indeed it turns out to be the actual reason,then I agree it is an ill thought, or better described as NOT thought out decision.

If it was thought out, then whomever made this decision, must have realised that all overseas subscribers to Hibs TV would be mightily pssed off at being unceremoniously sacrificed without any explanation whatsoever.

The club have got many things right over the last couple of years, but if indeed what you suggest WAS the case then they have NOT got this right.

Without sounding too melodramatic about it, if, a nd again if, the suggestion is fact, then it appears that they had no problem with throwing us overseas fans out the lifeboat so to speak, and were/are prepared to simply ignore any flack as a result.

We may not get to many matches, but we DO support the club financially in any way we can, and it kinda would make me feel like second class supporter, despite the rhetoric coming out of ER.

Apart from not seeing the game, the thing that annoys me is the lack of a reason being given for the non transmission, especially as I have asked for one.

Amit said he would raise it at a board meeting, and I've contacted Big Frank who said he would find out the reason and get back to me, but That was only a day ago, so I haven't heard back from him yet.

I don't want to be too negative about it, as I say no feeshal reason has not been given yet...but it wouldn't do the club any harm to drop me a line and just let me know the reason.

Hibs are important to us all, and we would hope that we were important enough to the club to warrant some kind of explanation as to WHY, and some assurances that it wouldn't be repeated.

Rougier45
17-07-2016, 02:40 PM
Thursday morning I agree to buy 20 KFK tickets - Thursday night my 7 year old is sitting in tears in his Hibs top with the Ross county league. Cup final date inscripted - crying because we can't see the game - no communication / we have season tickets also but will maybe see 1 or 3 games / this club treats the fans poorly - communication is bad and the fans are not treated properly - only real communication since May was a slap on the hands and a warning to not over celebrate winning the cup / thanks god for the silver lining that is Neil Lennon

Dunedin Hibs
18-07-2016, 08:21 AM
Jim,

Generally us o/s fans are a placid lot, and generally accept what scraps are thrown our way, so I speak only for masel.

I've asked the question of Hibs TV as to WHY the game was not shown...at the moment there is Amit's suggestion that it was to ensure there were no piracy issues involved, but at the moment, until it is confirmed I'm treating it just as that, a suggestion.

If indeed it turns out to be the actual reason,then I agree it is an ill thought, or better described as NOT thought out decision.

If it was thought out, then whomever made this decision, must have realised that all overseas subscribers to Hibs TV would be mightily pssed off at being unceremoniously sacrificed without any explanation whatsoever.

The club have got many things right over the last couple of years, but if indeed what you suggest WAS the case then they have NOT got this right.

Without sounding too melodramatic about it, if, a nd again if, the suggestion is fact, then it appears that they had no problem with throwing us overseas fans out the lifeboat so to speak, and were/are prepared to simply ignore any flack as a result.

We may not get to many matches, but we DO support the club financially in any way we can, and it kinda would make me feel like second class supporter, despite the rhetoric coming out of ER.

Apart from not seeing the game, the thing that annoys me is the lack of a reason being given for the non transmission, especially as I have asked for one.

Amit said he would raise it at a board meeting, and I've contacted Big Frank who said he would find out the reason and get back to me, but That was only a day ago, so I haven't heard back from him yet.

I don't want to be too negative about it, as I say no feeshal reason has not been given yet...but it wouldn't do the club any harm to drop me a line and just let me know the reason.

Hibs are important to us all, and we would hope that we were important enough to the club to warrant some kind of explanation as to WHY, and some assurances that it wouldn't be repeated.

Well said Sir, and spot on. Please sort it out Hibs for your fans abroad, who pay a subscription to watch our team when we can't be there.

Brightside
18-07-2016, 08:26 AM
I find this explanation strange. Only those outside the UK can see the game so how does this affect the numbers they were hoping to attract from local people who are not able to watch live video on HibsTV?

This type of drastic action - one that punishes the majority of legitimate foreign subscribers along with a few local VPN hackers - does not seem like it was intelligently considered.

Based on this website there are more than a few local VPN users... if people would stop trying to rip off the club it would make life easier.

Callum_62
18-07-2016, 08:45 AM
Based on this website there are more than a few local VPN users... if people would stop trying to rip off the club it would make life easier.

still no reason to not show it for the real overseas fans to be fair

Andy74
18-07-2016, 08:49 AM

I think the practice is probably very far from ripping off the club.

I'll be up front and say that I pay monthly for an international subscription. I like to be able to use if it if I happen to be away anywhere.

If for whatever rare reason I can't make a home game then yes, I will use a VPN if I am somewhere I can get access online.

Hibs will very much gain from this - they have the season ticket money from me and my daughter, they have the monthly subscription on an ongoing basis. I would imagine there are many who pay monthly for a service they barely use just so they can keep in touch with the game when
they do happen to need it.

This is miles away from ripping off the club - it's actually giving them free money most of the time.

I don't buy that anyone would use a subscription and use a VPN every week instead of a home season ticket - that person would never have bought a ticket anyway.

PeeJay
18-07-2016, 09:17 AM

I'll be up front and say that I pay monthly for an international subscription. I like to be able to use if it if I happen to be away anywhere.

If for whatever rare reason I can't make a home game then yes, I will use a VPN if I am somewhere I can get access online.

Hibs will very much gain from this - they have the season ticket money from me and my daughter, they have the monthly subscription on an ongoing basis. I would imagine there are many who pay monthly for a service they barely use just so they can keep in touch with the game when

This is miles away from ripping off the club - it's actually giving them free money most of the time.

I don't buy that anyone would use a subscription and use a VPN every week instead of a home season ticket - that person would never have bought a ticket anyway.

It's illegal to broadcast the stream in the UK (overseas subscribers only?), so it is a rip-off, no two ways about it. While you may pay to the club - as you say - "most" others probably don't. (Not the regular overseas' subscribers, of course ...)

I also think there is an issue of bandwidth involved - it has to be purchased by the club to cater for the subscribers viewing: it is not unlimited and the more "rogue" users borrowing the stream for free, the more the stream drops in quality. I know we live in the "Internet Age" and many people feel that being able to get something for free means that it is OK, but it's not really, is it?

Callum_62
18-07-2016, 09:20 AM
I have never seen an illegal stream of Hibs TV anywhere?

has anyone else?

Hibrandenburg
18-07-2016, 09:24 AM

You might not be harming the club financially but you're not exactly helping your fellow Hibbies living abroad who this service is intended for. If because Hibs start losing these paying fans because the service is being abused then it may well hit the club in the pocket.

FWIW I no longer subscribe to Hibs TV because it's proved unreliable and there's only so many times I'm willing to pay for it only to be left sat with my beer and popcorn and no match to watch.

Andy74
18-07-2016, 09:39 AM
It's illegal to broadcast the stream in the UK (overseas subscribers only?), so it is a rip-off, no two ways about it. While you may pay to the club - as you say - "most" others probably don't. (Not the regular overseas' subscribers, of course ...)

I also think there is an issue of bandwidth involved - it has to be purchased by the club to cater for the subscribers viewing: it is not unlimited and the more "rogue" users borrowing the stream for free, the more the stream drops in quality. I know we live in the "Internet Age" and many people feel that being able to get something for free means that it is OK, but it's not really, is it?

How are people not paying the club?

We aren't talking about watching some stream from another source - we are talking about paying a monthly subscription to a service. Hibs get the money for it, know the numbers and so its up to them to provide a stream that can cope with it frankly.

Hibs will make money out of this, no doubt, so again we need to be careful we aren't chucking the bay out with the bathwater on some of this stuff. Would the service still be viable without the level of subscription they currently get? I'll be in to the hundreds of pounds paid on it and have probably used it about three times.

PeeJay
18-07-2016, 09:57 AM
How are people not paying the club?

We aren't talking about watching some stream from another source - we are talking about paying a monthly subscription to a service. Hibs get the money for it, know the numbers and so its up to them to provide a stream that can cope with it frankly.

Hibs will make money out of this, no doubt, so again we need to be careful we aren't chucking the bay out with the bathwater on some of this stuff. Would the service still be viable without the level of subscription they currently get? I'll be in to the hundreds of pounds paid on it and have probably used it about three times.

Well, you may pay, BUT as I said not everybody will - I think that is a problem. The lack of broadband width to accommodate non-payers is hardly a problem of the club - it has however - in the past been a problem for bona fide subscribers who have seen the stream go down because of the rogue viewers I keep going on about, piracy may also be causing the club problems, I don't know (?) ... Whatever, I have now cancelled my subscription, so you and the "others" can now fund it :greengrin .

Dunedin Hibs
18-07-2016, 09:57 AM
While the European games may be an 'add on' to our monthly/annual fee it is surely absolute bull**** to deny Hibs TV abroad paying fans access to at least a home game. I ended up - after several frustrated minutes watching it on Periscope...wasn't that wonderful! Sort it out out Hibs. Shocking.

SteveHFC
18-07-2016, 10:14 AM

Is it not more likely that a stream is getting purchased then show to many in pub or club or getting re streamed that's why sky started flashing up your viewing card number on a random basis for live events

Dunedin Hibs
18-07-2016, 10:21 AM
No reason, if true, to deny genuine supporters wanting to watch the match abroad. Sort the shop and sort Hibs TV, and give us a goalie! Please Hibs

Andy74
18-07-2016, 10:33 AM
Is it not more likely that a stream is getting purchased then show to many in pub or club or getting re streamed that's why sky started flashing up your viewing card number on a random basis for live events

No idea, I've never heard of any streams being shown anywhere online or in any premises.

This would be a separate issue though to the criticism of people paying for a subscription and sometimes using a VPN to view - there's no way that issue can be costing the club or impacting the quality - if anything it is helping to subsidise it.

Forza Fred
18-07-2016, 10:54 AM
Confession time...I have no idea what a VPN looks like or whether you can cook it.

I Do though, kinda glean from the pages that it is illegal to watch a live stream of the game within the UK where the telecast is intended only to be delivered to overseas viewers.

Not making any moral judgements, just wish anyone who is doing so desists, as it has already caused us overseas fans angst...if indeed this is why the Brondby game was not shown....and presumably will put at risk future games.

Having said that I still think that overseas fans were treated like second class supporters for a decision to hit the OFF button without any advice and at short notice.

Surely Hibs would have been better served by publicly announcing WHY they were not televising it, and several days in advance rather than just pull the plug a few hours prior to kick off...if they saw their action as some kind of deterrent?

Again, Why the current silence from Hibs?

I'm still waiting on a feeshal answer to my question as to WHY the game was not televised......at the moment exactly WHY it was not televised is a matter of conjecture.

C'mon Hibs....where is this openness and transparency I keep hearing about?

Or do us overseas fans not really matter that much ?

SteveHFC
18-07-2016, 10:56 AM
No idea, I've never heard of any streams being shown anywhere online or in any premises.

This would be a separate issue though to the criticism of people paying for a subscription and sometimes using a VPN to view - there's no way that issue can be costing the club or impacting the quality - if anything it is helping to subsidise it.

Agree if you pay for a stream it doesn't matter if you use a vpn to view

NAE NOOKIE
18-07-2016, 10:58 AM
It seems to me a bit odd that Hibs would refuse to broadcast a game to overseas supporters because of an issue with fans in Scotland streaming ( or whatever the technical term is ) the coverage ..... the amount of people who could go to the game but don't because they can pirate the pictures must be utterly miniscule compared to the HTV overseas subscribers who are being pissed off. Talk about throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

CapitalGreen
18-07-2016, 11:09 AM
Do Louis Vuitton stop making handbags because some geezer is selling knock-offs out his car-boot?

Stopping the service without adequate notice to paying customers isn't a solution to stop piracy. Imagine if season ticket holders turned up at Easter Road for the first game of the season against Dunfermline and were told that they would not be getting in to see the game.

invisible man
18-07-2016, 11:13 AM
I have never seen an illegal stream of Hibs TV anywhere?

has anyone else?

There's a pub in Easter Road been known to stream home games.

Andy74
18-07-2016, 11:19 AM
Confession time...I have no idea what a VPN looks like or whether you can cook it.

I Do though, kinda glean from the pages that it is illegal to watch a live stream of the game within the UK where the telecast is intended only to be delivered to overseas viewers.

Not making any moral judgements, just wish anyone who is doing so desists, as it has already caused us overseas fans angst...if indeed this is why the Brondby game was not shown....and presumably will put at risk future games.

Having said that I still think that overseas fans were treated like second class supporters for a decision to hit the OFF button without any advice and at short notice.

Surely Hibs would have been better served by publicly announcing WHY they were not televising it, and several days in advance rather than just pull the plug a few hours prior to kick off...if they saw their action as some kind of deterrent?

Again, Why the current silence from Hibs?

I'm still waiting on a feeshal answer to my question as to WHY the game was not televised......at the moment exactly WHY it was not televised is a matter of conjecture.

C'mon Hibs....where is this openness and transparency I keep hearing about?

Or do us overseas fans not really matter that much ?

Is it illegal to watch paid for content which is intended to be restricted geographically?

I would have though it would only be a violation of user agreements in place due to distribution arrangements and not illegal in the criminal sense.

scotiaf
18-07-2016, 11:33 AM
I would suggest the reason they have not came out and said something, means they know they made an absolute dogs dinner of it.

Some people may use a VPN and slightly bend the rules, but still pay for the courtesy of it

The international subscribers paid for the service, and did not receive the full service.

Its not as if we are in Europe yearly, and a lot of people were disappointed.

I am not sure of the numbers that sign up for the service.

GreenLake
18-07-2016, 11:45 AM

I had no idea there were so many.

How do major media companies deal with this VPN problem? Do Sky Sports shut down UK live streams because of VPN use?

The action was harebrained but I won't cancel my subscription to HibsTV.

Andy74
18-07-2016, 11:50 AM
I had no idea there were so many.

How do major media companies deal with this VPN problem? Do Sky Sports shut down UK live streams because of VPN use?

The action was harebrained but I won't cancel my subscription to HibsTV.

Secretly welcome it I'd imagine.

Netflix has something like 30 million members in areas which are not supposed to be able to access Netflix.

Forza Fred
18-07-2016, 11:57 AM
Is it illegal to watch paid for content which is intended to be restricted geographically?

I would have though it would only be a violation of user agreements in place due to distribution arrangements and not illegal in the criminal sense.

I don't know Andy..hence why I used the terminology 'gleaned'

Don't have an issue with any individual.....a couple of posters have put it better than me in their description of what seems to have possibly been a gross over reaction by the club, which penalised us far off fans....and left a sour taste in my mouth at just being viewed as apparently little more than expendable 'collateral damage'

Rather than us debate the possible legalities to speak, I'd like the club to come out and state their reasons etc....and what they think constitutes, to put it in the Aussie vernacular, ......a fair suck of the sauce bottle!

lord bunberry
18-07-2016, 12:04 PM
I've paid for hibs tv for years, but I rarely use it due to the fact that I'm at the game. Thursday night was my chance to finally get a bit of value out of my prescription and they didn't show it. I will be cancelling when I get home.

The Green Goblin
18-07-2016, 09:44 PM
Secretly welcome it I'd imagine.

Netflix has something like 30 million members in areas which are not supposed to be able to access Netflix.

Netflix succeeded in shutting down and blocking all unauthorised VPN access to their service as of a few months ago. They even announced they were about to do it beforehand.

The Green Goblin
18-07-2016, 09:48 PM
Hibs TV is a fantastic service in so many different ways and one which brings me that wee bit closer to ER on match day when I'm wishing I was there. Whatever is going on here, I really hope the service is not under threat. I would be absolutely gutted to lose it.

Andy74
18-07-2016, 10:02 PM
Netflix succeeded in shutting down and blocking all unauthorised VPN access to their service as of a few months ago. They even announced they were about to do it beforehand.

They have. Prompted by trying to satisfy studios that it will protect their deals. I don't believe they think it's the right thing for their customer base. Surveys of users following it suggest they will lose people and alienate their customers with the probable longer term outcome being that they will have to do away with the geographical restrictions and provide the same content to all paying customers.

KazHibby
18-07-2016, 10:11 PM
I think both the overseas supporters and the subscribers to HibsTV have been poorly treated over the last 3 or 4 years by the club. The history is passed and one can make their own judgement on who or what was behind the changes in coverage. Last week we had a game which had demand by both Hibs and Brondby supporters, and the powers that be at Hibernian FC decided on a tv black out, with the excuse that it was 'unfortunate'.

I have both a season ticket and a overseas subscription for HibsTV overseas viewing, I happened to be abroad last Thursday and having witnessed Heart TV being played by the BBC the week before, had no doubt HibsTV, would be able to cover the match. So like every other subscriber I was left in the dark yet again by Hibernian FC and their attitude to allowing tv coverage of their games.

I believe that the benefit to Hibernian FC of showing such games vastly outweighs any illegal streaming which may or may not go on! As with the lack of CF merchandise the club have missed a great opportunity of increasing their not unsubstantial fan base!

GGTTH

Callum_62
19-07-2016, 06:21 AM
so - are we being told why at any point?

I do hope the service isnt being canned btw - last few years they have provided a brilliant outlet fr Hibs fan overseas

I assume the away leg is being broadcast..... :greengrin

Viva_Palmeiras
19-07-2016, 06:35 AM
I think both the overseas supporters and the subscribers to HibsTV have been poorly treated over the last 3 or 4 years by the club. The history is passed and one can make their own judgement on who or what was behind the changes in coverage. Last week we had a game which had demand by both Hibs and Brondby supporters, and the powers that be at Hibernian FC decided on a tv black out, with the excuse that it was 'unfortunate'.

I have both a season ticket and a overseas subscription for HibsTV overseas viewing, I happened to be abroad last Thursday and having witnessed Heart TV being played by the BBC the week before, had no doubt HibsTV, would be able to cover the match. So like every other subscriber I was left in the dark yet again by Hibernian FC and their attitude to allowing tv coverage of their games.

I believe that the benefit to Hibernian FC of showing such games vastly outweighs any illegal streaming which may or may not go on! As with the lack of CF merchandise the club have missed a great opportunity of increasing their not unsubstantial fan base!

GGTTH

I can only presume that once there's something more of substance (if any) to communicate then there will be - otherwise there's noting to say.

I'd imagine we need to take care not to "cannibalise" one product or service with another rob Peter (gate receipts @ £22) to pay Paul (tv subs @£6.99?) so revenue protection.

The solution would appear to be to prevent folks in the UK accessing via VPN? Could this not have been foreseen and addresses tho?

It is a shame tho that the overseas to sub folks have been iirc recognised and rewarded with cup final ticket arrangements but let down with the next biggest game.

The periscope phenomenon probably doesn't help the issue either but that's what will happen if folks are faced with a blackout.

Steve-O
19-07-2016, 09:43 AM
If they really want to limit the live games to Hibs fans who LIVE overseas, then surely insisting the credit card used to pay is one way to ensure that it is only genuine overseas fans who can use it? Of course, this isn't ideal for those who are on holiday or away temporarily, but surely better than the current situation of just not showing it at all.

Any time I've looked into any other club's TV website, it seems to be absolutely clear what game is up next etc - this is almost NEVER the case on Hibs TV. Is there someone at the club not doing their job? There is obviously someone there posting up interviews with Lennon etc, who is that person, and why are they not doing the basics??

Considering the cost of this service is the same as the likes of Netflix, surely a better service than we're currently getting is desirable? I don't care about any more excuses regarding how it's volunteers running it - if it is the case that it's a resourcing issue, get the f-ing resource in to do it!

Between the constant ignorance from the club on these issues, and the absolute non-response around the cup final merchandise (the stuff produced so far is largely appalling I won't be buying any more of it having been charged 14 quid delivery for a 16 quid t-shirt), the club are doing quite a good job of diminishing the post-final feelgood factor, which is pretty sad.

Edit - also no surprise to find that just a couple of days out from the game, zero word on whether the away tie will be on Hibs TV either...

HiBremian
19-07-2016, 10:33 AM
If they really want to limit the live games to Hibs fans who LIVE overseas, then surely insisting the credit card used to pay is one way to ensure that it is only genuine overseas fans who can use it? Of course, this isn't ideal for those who are on holiday or away temporarily, but surely better than the current situation of just not showing it at all.

Any time I've looked into any other club's TV website, it seems to be absolutely clear what game is up next etc - this is almost NEVER the case on Hibs TV. Is there someone at the club not doing their job? There is obviously someone there posting up interviews with Lennon etc, who is that person, and why are they not doing the basics??

Considering the cost of this service is the same as the likes of Netflix, surely a better service than we're currently getting is desirable? I don't care about any more excuses regarding how it's volunteers running it - if it is the case that it's a resourcing issue, get the f-ing resource in to do it!

Between the constant ignorance from the club on these issues, and the absolute non-response around the cup final merchandise (the stuff produced so far is largely appalling I won't be buying any more of it having been charged 14 quid delivery for a 16 quid t-shirt), the club are doing quite a good job of diminishing the post-final feelgood factor, which is pretty sad.

Edit - also no surprise to find that just a couple of days out from the game, zero word on whether the away tie will be on Hibs TV either...

Not so simple. I live overseas but still have a UK bank account. I've free-lanced across Europe for decades, and have income in both euros and sterling. It would daft to have one account and constantly pay currency exchange charges when I do a job. On the other hand if I'm told I have to pay with my German account, if Hibs TV can handle any charges, fine.

Andy Bee
19-07-2016, 10:37 AM
I don't see why UK based subscribers using a VPN would cause any issues as long as they're paying for an international account. Obviously the club would have to condone it for contractual reasons but they've put the security in place to stop UK subscribers viewing, it's not their fault some people know how to bypass it. The problem may be that a few UK subscribers are paying the reduced rate for a UK account and using it to view live games, video uses a lot more bandwidth and it could, depending on the amount of users, end up costing the club money.

I still don't understand why they stopped the game without any real announcement so close to kickoff though, if it was indeed to coax more supporters to the game then surely the better plan would be to announce it well in advance although doing that at the expense of a blackout for overseas viewers would be a bit cheeky to say the least. I think there's a lot more to it regards the "piracy" statement for the Hibs TV guys to pull the plug so late in the day.

Forza Fred
19-07-2016, 11:13 AM
I still don't understand why they stopped the game without any real announcement so close to kickoff though, if it was indeed to coax more supporters to the game then surely the better plan would be to announce it well in advance although doing that at the expense of a blackout for overseas viewers would be a bit cheeky to say the least. I think there's a lot more to it regards the "piracy" statement for the Hibs TV guys to pull the plug so late in the day.

I have trouble with the logic of their decision too, if the assumed 'more bums on seats' suggestion really was the reason.

Surely a public announcement in advance would be the logical step, rather than a five minute to midnight edict?

Maybe the thinking was that they knew they were going to pssss off the overseas supporters either way, but it was better not to have defend the decision prior to the game, hoping that any flack could simply be ignored after the event and would be forgotten about before the second leg.

Either that or they didn't do the potential problem analysis, I a hurried decision, and the unintended consequences surprised them.

As I have said previously, Hibs have got a lot of things right in the past couple of years, and there is much goodwill towards the decision makers.....however this 'don't explain, don't apologise' approach they seem to have taken is something that we knew all too well in the past, and had hoped had been kicked well and truly into touch

Meantime, I'm still waiting on a response from Hibs TV, and feedback from the supporters board reps

Andy74
19-07-2016, 12:14 PM

There's also nothing wrong with a UK based person viewing the content when they are not in the UK - lots of fans will travel regularly on both business and pleasure and we shouldn't be cutting off an income stream on that front if they want to purchase an international subscription.

Big90inOz
19-07-2016, 12:24 PM
The bottom line is we have been paying our monthly subscriptions all through the closed season, it's not good enough to now start withdrawing games
The club needs to come clean and advise what the plan is going forward.

Tha Cabbage Kid
19-07-2016, 02:33 PM
Just to through it in there. I also am disapointed at not being able to watch the Brondby game. being away from home and not getting to see the game when (i imagine) it would be possible to broadcast, fills me with sadness.

southsider
19-07-2016, 02:35 PM
I went to Oz last xmas and paid for a year so I could watch the huns game. Hoped to view thurs game on Hibs TV. If I cant then I shall not renew.

KWJ
19-07-2016, 02:45 PM
The bottom line is we have been paying our monthly subscriptions all through the closed season, it's not good enough to now start withdrawing games
The club needs to come clean and advise what the plan is going forward.

Cancelled mine after final with a view to starting it up again now. Holding off until there's a competitive game I can see live.

The Green Goblin
19-07-2016, 04:59 PM
They have. Prompted by trying to satisfy studios that it will protect their deals. I don't believe they think it's the right thing for their customer base. Surveys of users following it suggest they will lose people and alienate their customers with the probable longer term outcome being that they will have to do away with the geographical restrictions and provide the same content to all paying customers.

The geographical restrictions are due to Netflix trying to respect the rights of content in individual countries, essentially, they do it to obey the law and protect studio/artist income. They claimed last year, after there was a bad reaction to their VPN blocking, that their dream was to offer the same product to everyone worldwide, but who knows if they really meant it...?

http://www.wired.com/2016/03/netflix-discontent-blocked-vpns-boiling/

Andy74
19-07-2016, 06:21 PM
Hibs have given reason by email as specific concerns over illegal UK steaming and wanting to maximise home support.

Bad decision.

HFC_NYC
19-07-2016, 06:23 PM
I just got an email from Hibs TV confirming that the game last week was not shown due to concerns of people accessing the game illegally in the UK. Furthermore, there will be no video for overseas subscribers this week either.

As always, a few dodgy characters manage to ruin things for the rest of us!!!!

HoboHarry
19-07-2016, 06:31 PM
I just got an email from Hibs TV confirming that the game last week was not shown due to concerns of people accessing the game illegally in the UK. Furthermore, there will be no video for overseas subscribers this week either.

Just got the same from Colin Miller....

The Green Goblin
19-07-2016, 06:37 PM

I will read the email now. I have paid my full subscription this month as usual but they have decided, without any notice, not to show the matches I paid to see. Money for nothing then, and I and others have been penalised for someone else's poor judgement and behaviour.

The Captain....
19-07-2016, 06:39 PM
Id be cancelling my Hibs TV subscription if I was overseas I think. Don't think that's a valid reason to disappoint fans abroad who would be expecting to tune into a rare European match.

Andy74
19-07-2016, 06:43 PM
Id be cancelling my Hibs TV subscription if I was overseas I think. Don't think that's a valid reason to disappoint fans abroad who would be expecting to tune into a rare European match.

It's not.

You have regular subscribers. Double last year they say. It's crazy to black them all out because they think people who aren't allowed might watch.

VPNs are used every week no doubt and they know the regular numbers and so this must have been some intelligence that were was a larger scale streaming planned. There were links to YouTube and so on posted so why not deal with those?

Poor way to deal with the issue to penalise the regulars. They're off their heads if they think crowd numbers were going to be impacted by some streams.

Rougier45
19-07-2016, 06:51 PM
I will not cancel as I love the team - but leann must take the rap for this - bad communication / poor treatment of loyal Hibees who as well as subscribe but merchandise , shares etc etc

GreenLake
19-07-2016, 07:08 PM
I read the email and am disappointed with the decision making behind this. Brondby are obviously doing a tit for tat and who can blame them. We miss both European ties now as subscribers.

I don't think Hibs intended to have this outcome but it was a poorly thought out strategy and they should have a closed door chat about it to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I won't cancel because it is HibsTV and I don't expect them to be media broadcasting experts. Let's get behind them and encourage them to continue improving the service and learning from mistakes like this.

HFC_NYC
19-07-2016, 07:19 PM
I certainly won't be cancelling my subscription over this debacle, but it has been a severe kick in baws for those of us who are loyal (genuine) users of this service. It does seem to be the way of the world these days that there are too many people who take liberties (adults using kid's season tickets) and it's the honest people that end up getting shafted.

Tha Cabbage Kid
19-07-2016, 07:21 PM
I read the email and am disappointed with the decision making behind this. Brondby are obviously doing a tit for tat and who can blame them. We miss both European ties now as subscribers.

I don't think Hibs intended to have this outcome but it was a poorly thought out strategy and they should have a closed door chat about it to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I won't cancel because it is HibsTV and I don't expect them to be media broadcasting experts. Let's get behind them and encourage them to continue improving the service and learning from mistakes like this.
I didn't get an email???? What did they say? So they are not showing the euro tie???? This is unreal. Very disappointed. Seems like an any excuse will do type thing. I expect this nonsense from a referee not hibs TV :(

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Forza Fred
19-07-2016, 11:16 PM
Just what is going on at Hibs?

Presumably they are aware of this thread (or they really don't give a toss,) and given that I was the original poster, and have whinged about not getting a response to my original email etc they would have ensured..if for no reason other than to shut me up..that I got a copy of the email several are talking about...but no..Still NO COMMUNICATION HAS BEEN RECEIVED BY ME!

And we are supposed to believe communication has improved at the club.....

GreenLake
20-07-2016, 10:44 AM
I didn't get an email???? What did they say? So they are not showing the euro tie???? This is unreal. Very disappointed. Seems like an any excuse will do type thing. I expect this nonsense from a referee not hibs TV :(

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

More or less what was said earlier in this thread, that piracy was an issue and they wanted to encourage more people to attend the game at Easter Road by not streaming the game live. The away tie on Thursday will not be shown live because Premier Sports bought UK rights and HibsTV were refused international streaming rights by Brondby (who were no doubt fuming over HibsTV not letting them stream our home tie). International subscribers will be blacked out for a second time.

The team have a great incentive to win this game and let us see them live in the next round! :flag:

Forza Fred
20-07-2016, 11:03 AM
I have not received the email referred to, but have seen a copy.

I do not want to be seen to be embarking on a personal crusade against the club, but will make a couple of final points before retiring.

1 The logic of their claim makes little sense to me..surely early tub thumping that the game would not be shown would have been the logical way to go, rather than a late announcement....

2 It may have been an unintended consequence, but as an overseas fan certainly the club's actions make me feel that we are certainly considered 'expendable'

3 How can other clubs manage, or tolerate the 'piracy' issue, but we need to suspend coverage?

4 The communication in this issue has been, from my point of view anyway, sub standard

5 I am left with the concern that this may happen AGAIN.....as logic would suggest that more games will be 'pirated'

6 As with all things Hibs, it is not as if we can just go to the shop up the road if we don't like the service, so I guess I'llkeep paying the monthly subscription to Hibs TV...but there is no doubt I don't feel the same level of trus and goodwill towards the decision makers that I did a week ago

This whole thing has been handled badly by the club.

Over and Out!

Wee Effen Bee
20-07-2016, 11:13 AM
Just what is going on at Hibs?

Presumably they are aware of this thread (or they really don't give a toss,) and given that I was the original poster, and have whinged about not getting a response to my original email etc they would have ensured..if for no reason other than to shut me up..that I got a copy of the email several are talking about...but no..Still NO COMMUNICATION HAS BEEN RECEIVED BY ME!

And we are supposed to believe communication has improved at the club.....

You didn't receive one and I received this.
Hi

Thanks for contacting us.

The Club put an announcement earlier today highlighting that it was Audio Only tonight.
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/6638

Kind Regards

Hibs TV Support

I thought this was a wind up from someone as I didn't email Hibs, only posted on here. It's pretty disrespectful if genuine IMHO. To say I'm peed off big time with this is a huge understatement! I'm Warburton (ragin') :fuming::grr: t this whole debacle. I won't cancel my subscription but I can't argue with anyone who has - especially our overseas comrades. I LOVE Hibs but I feel they have made an error on this occasion.

Callum_62
20-07-2016, 11:59 AM
A statement lunchtime on the day of the game.....

What about our 1st home game against Dunfermline on 13th August?

Wont that also be an attractive proposition for pirates?

lyonhibs
20-07-2016, 02:12 PM
You didn't receive one and I received this.
Hi

Thanks for contacting us.

The Club put an announcement earlier today highlighting that it was Audio Only tonight.
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/6638

Kind Regards

Hibs TV Support

I thought this was a wind up from someone as I didn't email Hibs, only posted on here. It's pretty disrespectful if genuine IMHO. To say I'm peed off big time with this is a huge understatement! I'm Warburton (ragin') :fuming::grr: t this whole debacle. I won't cancel my subscription but I can't argue with anyone who has - especially our overseas comrades. I LOVE Hibs but I feel they have made an error on this occasion.

Re: the away leg, what error have they made. If they've not got the rights to show it, they cannae show it.

They've made a right James Hunt of the home leg right enough, which has probably led to this mind.

PeeJay
20-07-2016, 02:17 PM
Re: the away leg, what error have they made. If they've not got the rights to show it, they cannae show it.

They've made a right James Hunt of the home leg right enough, which has probably led to this mind.

Bröndby no doubt felt no need to negotiate with HIbs to provide the service through a Bröndby/Hibs site cooperation as Hibs TV effectively screwed fans on both sides in the 1st leg, I guess, for no justifiable reason - so it seems to me that you're wrong there - this is a problem of the club's own idiotic doing ....

Wee Effen Bee
20-07-2016, 06:20 PM

Sorry if I didn't articulate properly Lyon:doh:. My original post was about the home leg and the reply I received concerned that. I don't know what the gig is with the game tomorrow.

MileHighBees
20-07-2016, 06:20 PM
Just read the email.
:wtf:

So, apparently, the 'solution' to piracy is to simply not provide the product/service to the people who actually pay for it.
Brilliant :rolleyes:
It is kind of surprising that no-one else thought of this first.
Hibs should maybe copyright the idea before HBO and others find out.
ie big companies, with millions of customers, who actually have a real piracy problem.
Rather than a handful of Hibs fans in the UK who probably in most cases were unable to get to the game in person anyway.

Very poor decision by Hibs :idiot:
Loyal HibsTV subscribers deserve better.

MileHighBees
20-07-2016, 06:32 PM
Here's the full text for anyone that didn't get the email.
I hope that posting this does not break any forum rules, if so then I apologize and admins can delete this post.

Hi everyone,

I wanted to send you an e-mail as a Hibs TV international subscriber with regards to our two UEFA Europa League fixtures with Brondby, which will hopefully explain the situation we have faced this week and last.

We know that subscribers were left disappointed last week by the decision taken to not broadcast video of the game to international subscribers.

We had specific concerns over the streaming of the game illegally in the UK, circumventing the controls in place to ensure the broadcast would only go out to international subscribers.

With this in mind we wanted to maximise the home support attending the game in person and the decision was made to push out audio commentary only. We were pleased with the crowd on Thursday night, and the vocal support was much appreciated by the team.

I appreciate many were disappointed with the decision and also the lateness in the announcement. We held off in the hope that there was an alternative that would allow us to show the game, but this was not possible.

This week we are similarly disappointed to not be able to show pictures of the game on Thursday night. Brondby have sold the UK rights to Premier Sport, and supporters will be able to watch the game through them. We had hoped to secure the rights to broadcast the match to international subscribers, but were unable to secure these rights.

We will be able to provide live audio commentary from the game, and are hopeful of securing the rights to show a full match replay from midnight on Thursday night. The uncertainty of this feed has also delayed us communicating our offering as we would normally do.

I hope you agree that this experience is not in keeping with the regular level of service. A lot of time and effort, mainly from our volunteer team in addition to myself and a couple of others within the Club, goes into Hibs TV to make it a reliable and worthwhile service for supporters. Subscriber numbers are more than twice the levels of this time last year and I am hopeful that they will continue to grow over the coming season as we make improvements to the quality and quantity of content generated.

We will be back to our usual level matchday output on Sunday with the home friendly against Birmingham, and I hope we won’t have the same frustrations moving forward this season.

Thanks,

Colin

The Green Goblin
20-07-2016, 06:44 PM
More or less what was said earlier in this thread, that piracy was an issue and they wanted to encourage more people to attend the game at Easter Road by not streaming the game live.

I'm sure that was an inspiring rally call for all the folks in the U.S, Australia, New Zealand and continental Europe etc. to pop down to Easter Road... :rolleyes:

(That's not aimed at you btw, just the statement in the e-mail). :aok:

GreenLake
20-07-2016, 07:33 PM
I'm sure that was an inspiring rally call for all the folks in the U.S, Australia, New Zealand and continental Europe etc. to pop down to Easter Road... :rolleyes:

(That's not aimed at you btw, just the statement in the e-mail). :aok:

It is bordering on comical that someone would think it a good way to drive folks to Easter Road.

Callum_62
20-07-2016, 08:30 PM
Surely theres something more to it than this?

Cant the same argument be used for every home game?

Hibrandenburg
20-07-2016, 08:30 PM
I hope that posting this does not break any forum rules, if so then I apologize and admins can delete this post.

Hi everyone,

I wanted to send you an e-mail as a Hibs TV international subscriber with regards to our two UEFA Europa League fixtures with Brondby, which will hopefully explain the situation we have faced this week and last.

We know that subscribers were left disappointed last week by the decision taken to not broadcast video of the game to international subscribers.

We had specific concerns over the streaming of the game illegally in the UK, circumventing the controls in place to ensure the broadcast would only go out to international subscribers.

With this in mind we wanted to maximise the home support attending the game in person and the decision was made to push out audio commentary only. We were pleased with the crowd on Thursday night, and the vocal support was much appreciated by the team.

I appreciate many were disappointed with the decision and also the lateness in the announcement. We held off in the hope that there was an alternative that would allow us to show the game, but this was not possible.

This week we are similarly disappointed to not be able to show pictures of the game on Thursday night. Brondby have sold the UK rights to Premier Sport, and supporters will be able to watch the game through them. We had hoped to secure the rights to broadcast the match to international subscribers, but were unable to secure these rights.

We will be able to provide live audio commentary from the game, and are hopeful of securing the rights to show a full match replay from midnight on Thursday night. The uncertainty of this feed has also delayed us communicating our offering as we would normally do.

I hope you agree that this experience is not in keeping with the regular level of service. A lot of time and effort, mainly from our volunteer team in addition to myself and a couple of others within the Club, goes into Hibs TV to make it a reliable and worthwhile service for supporters. Subscriber numbers are more than twice the levels of this time last year and I am hopeful that they will continue to grow over the coming season as we make improvements to the quality and quantity of content generated.

We will be back to our usual level matchday output on Sunday with the home friendly against Birmingham, and I hope we won’t have the same frustrations moving forward this season.

Thanks,

Colin

And that dear friends is how you polish a ****.

Curried
21-07-2016, 01:31 PM
This issue needs to be bumped up the page, so that the Hibs hierarchy somehow take note – hopefully some read it!
I feel for all our OS fans who were right royally shafted the other night by not getting something they believe they payed for in signing up to HibsTV- i.e. video access to the ER Bronby game.
Like Fred the OP has proposed, it’s not so much the last minute call on this, but the lack of communication by HibsTV to the overseas punters who are putting in a significant amount of dosh to support the club.
I very much hope the club pull their finger out, and make sure there’s no recurrence of this. European nights come rarely to our club, so censuring access to the game is metal if they want to grow the support base.

Purehibee_MYB
21-07-2016, 03:02 PM
I have to say from my perspective as an overseas fan who has been subscribed to Hibs tv for a while- the reasoning behind not showing the game at Easter road has really frustrated me. It is a case of a very small minority watching on a vpn in the uk compared to a strong majority of overseas fans who have paid their money for the chance to see the game. The email from Hibs regarding this just frustrated me further as they have effectively said "if it's a case of getting 200 more people at the game, we'll ignore the rest of you who aren't in the uk". I won't be cancelling my subscription cos I want to watch games when they're on and they know that there are plenty like me so they don't really care about the service they're providing. Very disappointing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big_Franck
21-07-2016, 03:30 PM
Poor decision by the club that no doubt left a large number of overseas fans very disappointed. I don't understand the reasoning behind it at all as surely they face the same scenario with every home game. I feel there's maybe something we aren't being told, it makes no sense to me otherwise.

PeeJay
21-07-2016, 03:34 PM
It's highly indicative of the stance being adopted by those responsible at the Club in that the email from Hibs TV didn't use the word "sorry" or "apologise" - it's basically like it or lump it, we have your money anyway ... (not mine anymore I might add)

The limp reference to being able to watch it on Premier Sport is also sheer incompetence on the part of Hibs TV as it is for UK viewers only and not available "legally" for us overseas fans, but then apparently we don't count anymore anyway - cheers HIBS TV!

HFC_NYC
21-07-2016, 03:46 PM
I watch the mid-week games from Hibs TV at work (yes, I know :greengrin) and the fact that it is a legit website poses no issues with internet security. If I try and access a dodgy site that's illegally streaming the game, you can be sure that the IS team would be on me in seconds. Once again, I'll be limited to audio commentary tonight instead of being part of the European experience. Simply not good enough.

Drumlanrig
21-07-2016, 04:07 PM
I watch the mid-week games from Hibs TV at work (yes, I know :greengrin) and the fact that it is a legit website poses no issues with internet security. If I try and access a dodgy site that's illegally streaming the game, you can be sure that the IS team would be on me in seconds. Once again, I'll be limited to audio commentary tonight instead of being part of the European experience. Simply not good enough.

Yep feel the same. I was a regular season ticket holder and loved going to the game at ER. Now working abroad and try to keep up through subscribing to Hibs TV. We lost a few games though "Champions League" conflicts last year and that was annoying but the Brondby farce is a real own goal and has left me a bit naffed off!

Poor stuff Hibs , kicking the guys who try to contribute for the sake of a minor threat!

MileHighBees
21-07-2016, 05:18 PM
The fact that tonight's game isn't on Hibs TV is obviously another disappointment.
As already noted above, we can't blame Brondby given that they were denied access to the ER game.

In terms of away games in general, I don't expect HTV to be able to show many of them, especially in the league that we are currently in.
Usually either the opposition club does not have the facilities in place or HTV simply do not get access to them.
Sometimes they don't even get an audio line to use.
If the game is on UK TV then HTV normally can use that broadcast for live video which is great.
In general, they show whatever away games they can so when we do get one I try to think of it as a bonus.

Having said that, I wish HTV had a reciprocal agreement in place with the other clubs who do have such facilities.
eg Falkirk and Raith, who also broadcast their home games.
HTV would get access to their live stream when Hibs are away and we would provide access to ours when they visit ER.
Surely all clubs involved would benefit from being able to show more live games ?
Must be more complicated than that or it would have happened already.

There have also been some issues with home games.
Last season we had the 'UEFA black-out' for a couple of games on the same night as Champions League matches.
Missing the cup replay v Hearts was particularly disappointing.
It was not Hibs fault that such rules were in place, but IIRC they apologized anyway.
At the start of season 2014/2015 we missed out on a few home games because of a system upgrade that took longer than it should due to Hibs being let down by a third party.
The result of that new equipment was the HD streams that we now get so it was probably worth the wait.
Basically, as far as I remember, there had always been a good reason when HTV could not show a game live.
I always got the impression that the HTV guys were as frustrated as us viewers when such problems occurred.
The expectation is that HTV will show ALL home games unless there is something outwith their control that prevents it.

Last week was different.
By all accounts, Hibs had the RIGHTS to show the game and COULD have done so but CHOSE not to.
The official 'piracy' reason that was given for this is farcical.

Swedish hibee
21-07-2016, 05:48 PM

Hi everyone,

Thanks,

Colin

So hibs knew in advance they weren't gonna show us the game but decided not to tell us in advance. Shafted big time. And i thought those days of hibs tv were finally behind us. Sigh.

Alfred E Newman
21-07-2016, 06:32 PM
Listening to the Sportsound commentary. It's as if he is commentating on a funeral!

fatbloke
21-07-2016, 06:37 PM
Listening to the Sportsound commentary. It's as if he is commentating on a funeral!

VIP box:-)

KazHibby
21-07-2016, 06:58 PM
VIP box:-)

apparently free streaming can be found at First Row Sport, our director of communications should know, mind you he is probably in Copenhagen - ah well