PDA

View Full Version : Otso Virtanen

cameronw-hfc
14-07-2016, 08:56 PM
Besides that first error, I actually thought he grew into the game very well, few good catches from crosses and was impressive when coming off the line.

MWHIBBIES
14-07-2016, 08:57 PM
Quick off his line a few times, hope the error doesnt get him down.

eastterrace
14-07-2016, 08:59 PM
Besides that first error, I actually thought he grew into the game very well, few good catches from crosses and was impressive when coming off the line. he looked really nervous at times not surprising after that early mistake. We were scared to pass back to him. Hope it doesn't knock his confidence.

bingo70
14-07-2016, 09:01 PM
he looked really nervous at times not surprising after that early mistake. We were scared to pass back to him. Hope it doesn't knock his confidence.

I think that ship has sailed I'm afraid.

He did quite well part from the early slip up but you could see the players were terrified of the ball going near him. I think that'll be his last Hibs game.

Shame for the lad

neil7908
14-07-2016, 09:03 PM
He looked ok after the goal but didn't have much to do tbh. He and the defence did look nervous though when the ball was played back to him

Walter
14-07-2016, 09:04 PM

He did quite well part from the early slip up but you could see the players were terrified of the ball going near him. I think that'll be his last Hibs game.

Shame for the lad

It's laughable for us to write off someone that quick. A true manager and coaching squad will help him believe and succeed

Jones28
14-07-2016, 09:04 PM
Came off the line and then saved well in the second half, other than that did he have a save to make?

Billy McKirdy
14-07-2016, 09:05 PM
Superb double save in the second half.
I thought he played well after his mistake.

Hibs331875
14-07-2016, 09:09 PM
Grew into the game well, caught short at the goal. Feel for the guy!

KWJ
14-07-2016, 09:10 PM
Young keeper, it's all about time and the right experience.

Hero76
14-07-2016, 09:13 PM
Get rid not good enough

easty
14-07-2016, 09:14 PM
The team looked like it had absolutely nae confidence in him. He might well develop into a decent keeper, I'd rather we just brought someone in who didn't need to develop.

Hi Heid Yin
14-07-2016, 09:14 PM
It's a shame for the lad, but the goalkeepers position is the most unforgiving.
He has failed to break through in his time at ER and this was his chance to shine, but what a nightmare start - a spill leading to a goal in the first 20 seconds! Cruel!
This said, he might very well have gone into his shell and gone on to have a nightmare, but he performed ok. Maybe an inner anger and frustration drove him on.
I personally don't think he is ready for regular first team starts.
Neil Lennon's priority is to acquire a solid keeper asap - an absolute must if we intend to hit the ground running in our imminent league campaign. A new keeper needs time to gel and familiarise himself with his back line.

SaulGoodman
14-07-2016, 09:15 PM
Get rid not good enough

Bolt

Alex Trager
14-07-2016, 09:15 PM

Shame for the lad

Jesus.

Hibbyradge
14-07-2016, 09:16 PM

I thought he only had to make the second save because his first attempt to clear was so poor.

I don't think he'll be our first choice keeper for long, I'm sad to say.

Sean1875
14-07-2016, 09:16 PM
no link up between the defence and him at all and very little command from the lad as well. not writing him off straight away but wasn't impressed unfortunately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty Boy
14-07-2016, 09:18 PM
Not great tbh.

Poor mistake from the goal, hesitant sometimes and too far out at others and his distribution was pretty poor.

He's still young and may well develop but for the coming season we urgently need a goalkeeper.

Waxy
14-07-2016, 09:19 PM
Looked good after the error. Hate to say but his throw outs look a bit pansy.

adhibs
14-07-2016, 09:20 PM
Would bin him. Bit harsh maybe afyer seeing him once, although the fact that defenders who seem him training every day had no confidenve in him says it all. Realy hope we get a real first choice keeper in quick.

B.H.F.C
Not great tbh.

Poor mistake from the goal, hesitant sometimes and too far out at others and his distribution was pretty poor.

He's still young and may well develop but for the coming season we urgently need a goalkeeper.

Saved me typing that.

CapitalGreen
Shoulda kept Logan, he'd never concede a soft goal in an important match.

CapitalGreen
14-07-2016, 09:22 PM
For people saying bin him, it'll cost £75k-£150k to pay off his contract

Off the bar
14-07-2016, 09:23 PM
Do we have another option for the away leg? Is the boy Laidlaw ready?

Hibbyradge
14-07-2016, 09:26 PM
For people saying bin him, it'll cost £75k-£150k to pay off his contract

What if he's of no use to us?

Borderhibbie76
14-07-2016, 09:27 PM
Get rid not good enough
Dearie me [emoji20]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hibs331875
14-07-2016, 09:28 PM
Maybe we should bin every keeper after one game, ridiculous man

Borderhibbie76
14-07-2016, 09:29 PM
It didn't take long for the Oxley haters to find a new target...perhaps we should bin every keeper after 1 bad error???

HibeeLR
14-07-2016, 09:33 PM
Give the guy a break, would be happy to see him start a game for Hibs again, one mistake does not mean he's not good ffs. Some people 🙄🙄

RyeSloan
14-07-2016, 09:34 PM
Not great tbh. Poor mistake from the goal, hesitant sometimes and too far out at others and his distribution was pretty poor. He's still young and may well develop but for the coming season we urgently need a goalkeeper.

That's how I saw it as well.

CapitalGreen
14-07-2016, 09:35 PM
What if he's of no use to us?

it'll still cost £75k-£150k to pay off his contract

bingo70
14-07-2016, 09:37 PM
It didn't take long for the Oxley haters to find a new target...perhaps we should bin every keeper after 1 bad error???

Ffs you're allowed to have an opinion on a player without being a hater.

There were already question marks over him when he was over looked for someone who clearly wasn't fit (even if he did end up doing a good job).

Added to this Lennon is quoted as saying we're close to signing a young keeper on loan from west brom while still looking for a new experienced keeper.

Today was his chance to prove he had it and to prove the doubters wrong, when he chucks in a howler after 15 seconds that eventually costs us the game I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest he never took his chance and will likely be replaced at the first opportunity.

Nobody feels for him more than I do but being a goalie for a professional team is a harsh environment.

Pretty Boy
14-07-2016, 09:39 PM

Wasn't an Oxley hater and I'm not an Otso hater either. I call it as I see it and that wasn't a particularly good goalkeeping performance.

If he improves next week I'll be the 1st to say so.

Jack
14-07-2016, 09:40 PM
The goal apart he did everything that was needed.

The goal was a bad one but it went through the whole team before it got to him.

I've heard bronby lined up exactly the same for a blitzkrieg start at there last game. The way they lined up should have been a warning anyway. If that's the case it's poor intelligence gathering by Hibs. We should have been ready for it and protected the young keeper.

Borderhibbie76
14-07-2016, 09:41 PM
Wasn't an Oxley hater and I'm not an Otso hater either. I call it as I see it and that wasn't a particularly good goalkeeping performance.

It was a bad error but thought he recovered well from it...I don't think he is ready to be our no 1 just yet but people suggesting he should be binned are way OTT I think

Hibee Mac
14-07-2016, 09:41 PM
Thats two shaky appearances for the lad so I understand why people are criticising him.

CapitalGreen
14-07-2016, 09:42 PM
The goal apart he did everything that was needed.

The goal was a bad one but it went through the whole team before it got to him.

I've heard bronby lined up exactly the same for a blitzkrieg start at there last game. The way they lined up should have been a warning. If that's the case it's poor intelligence gathering by Hibs. We should have been ready for it and protected the young keeper.

With half their team on the East centre line it was obvious what they were about to do, we should have had more players over that side to deal with it.

Dashing Bob S
14-07-2016, 09:42 PM

That's the way I'm seeing it too. But he could have gone to pieces, and although he looked nervy, he started to gain confidence as the game progressed.

I would be tempted to give him half-a-dozen league games, the quality of opposition won't be as good as it was tonight, see if he grows into the gloves.

We probably need an experienced sticksman though.

Lago
14-07-2016, 09:49 PM
The keeper could be the difference between promotion or no promotion, can't be sentimental & hope he does ok so lets give him 6 or so games, that could be disaster.

GlesgaeHibby
14-07-2016, 09:49 PM

:agree: Agree. Spilled the ball far too easily for the goal. Also spilled a tame shot in the second half at the expense of a corner. Hopefully he bounces back and has a stormer next week, but if I were Lennon I'd be prioritising an experienced goalkeeper.

Scooter
14-07-2016, 09:51 PM
I really want him to do well. But he looked like a rabbit caught in headlights it was obvious that the back line weren't fully confident in him. Done well with the double save. I don't think he will play next week

CapitalGreen
14-07-2016, 09:51 PM
We should keep trying different goalies every match until people realise that every goalie at our level has flaws.

Ritchie
14-07-2016, 09:55 PM
The defence is not confident in him. How many times did they clear a ball out for a throw or corner when the keeper should have taken control.

His positioning was suspect at times as well.

Not good enough unfortunately

Scouse Hibee
14-07-2016, 09:57 PM

Wasn't a superb double save,he had to make the second save because his first attempt was poor. Looked hesitant and slow off his line. Hope we can build his confidence.

Ritchie
14-07-2016, 09:59 PM
Wasn't a superb double save,he had to make the second save because his first attempt was poor. Looked hesitant and slow off his line. Hope we can build his confidence.

Correct. Wasn't a good save. Lucky clumsy save

GreenCastle
14-07-2016, 09:59 PM
What's going on with the crap goal mouths ? It's first game of the season and they look very worn already ?!

Keeper did fine except his key fumble.

lucky
14-07-2016, 10:00 PM
The only reason that Logan was signed because Stubbs was confident the boy could handle the pressure. But you've got to question why a keeper has not been signed already as this lads not ready or good enough.

Stewboy
14-07-2016, 10:01 PM
Sorry but he looks like the shakiest keeper we have had. Distribution with his feet is pretty poor as well

Good luck to the lad but we need better

eastterrace
14-07-2016, 10:02 PM
What's going on with the crap goal mouths ? It's first game of the season and they look very worn already ?! Keeper did fine except his key fumble. really you thought he was fine, he looked really nervous and our defence didn't trust him with any pass backs. Still if we are going with him we must give him the backing which I thought the crowd did during the game

Heisenberg
14-07-2016, 10:04 PM
He isn't good enough. We'll sign another goalie or two yet.

ClewsHibs
14-07-2016, 10:08 PM
Doesnt look good enough so far. The guy dishing him out constant,sometimes personal, abuse in row OO in the famous five is embrrassing though. Get a grip

Northernhibee
14-07-2016, 10:16 PM
He's a young keeper thrown into a big game in his first competitive start for Hibs. Far, far too early to make any judgment on him.

frazeHFC
14-07-2016, 10:19 PM
Very poor mistake. Felt sorry for him but we've got to get in better.

snooky
14-07-2016, 10:22 PM
Get rid not good enough

Brutal statement - but alas I have to agree.

We've had to suffer a conveyor belt of huddie goalies.
Need a good one more than ever now.

Gatecrasher
14-07-2016, 10:27 PM
He looks like a keeper who needs a run of games and that's not something we can give him at the moment.

Michael
14-07-2016, 10:28 PM
He is young and was nervous in his first start for us. We don't know how good or bad he is yet, and we won't do unless he gets a decent run in the side. He must have something about him to have been given a long term contract.

Boyle89
14-07-2016, 10:29 PM
As others have said after that mistake the defence were very reluctant to pass it back to him. Was raging at the goal but he did make a good tackle on the edge of the box and then saved right after it. I think Lennon might have seen enough of him already.

tamig
14-07-2016, 10:34 PM
Shoulda kept Logan, he'd never concede a soft goal in an important match.

Like in the home leg of the Falkirk game?

CapitalGreen
14-07-2016, 10:37 PM
Like in the home leg of the Falkirk game?

;-)

Brightside
14-07-2016, 10:51 PM
He made one mistake...he did very well with his feet when given some poor balls back. He's not the answer yet...but its a long time since we had that answer.

NAE NOOKIE
14-07-2016, 11:03 PM
The goal was scored just before I entered the stand so I missed it, but from what I saw he was a bit hesitant at coming off his line for the first half hour and for most of the game it was clear that the defence didn't want to pass back to him, even conceding a needless corner in the 2nd half when a simple pass to the keeper would have cleared the danger.

Trouble is that when most of your professional starts have been in Finnish football and for Finland under 21s 13,500 probably looks like a huge crowd and added that it was his first start no wonder he was nervous .... can we afford to stick with him for a run of games? From what I saw tonight it will be a brave move by Lennon to take what could be a costly risk.

H18 SFR
14-07-2016, 11:34 PM
With half their team on the East centre line it was obvious what they were about to do, we should have had more players over that side to deal with it.

Well spotted, it was an excellent overload which came off for them, albeit because of a shocking error. We tried the same approach at the start of the second half...with one player in the shape of Boyle.

Andy74
15-07-2016, 12:18 AM
I think Logan was signed because Stubbs seen that we'd made a mistake with this one.

Strange one given the new recruitment stuff. It's only a game and a few minutes in to his Hibs career but you'd have to say it's very unlikely he is the answer.

The Captain....
15-07-2016, 12:22 AM

Shame for the lad

Agreed, in the second half particularly we were taking unnecessary risks because the defence were reluctant to pass it back to him under any sort of pressure.

At the end of the day the difference between the sides (other than a cock of a referee and unfit linesman who couldnt keep up with play) was a fairly basic error caused by what you can only put down to nerves. I dont entirely blame Otso for that, the recruitment side and management shouldn't have put him in that position. We've been crying out for an expereinced keeper for the last 3 or 4 seasons. Get it sorted ffs.

jodjam
15-07-2016, 12:29 AM
I think Logan was signed because Stubbs seen that we'd made a mistake with this one.

Strange one given the new recruitment stuff. It's only a game and a few minutes in to his Hibs career but you'd have to say it's very unlikely he is the answer.

I heard from a reliable source that it was a confidence issue with the lad prior to SC semi and Logan came in. I also don't think he's the answer

Ozyhibby
15-07-2016, 12:58 AM
It was a dreadful performance. Apart from the goal, he was hesitant coming out and his kicking was very poor. Our defence who train with him every day also did not trust him.
I think that will likely be his last game. He is just not good enough for what we need right now.

Hermit Crab
15-07-2016, 01:07 AM
It was a dreadful performance. Apart from the goal, he was hesitant coming out and his kicking was very poor. Our defence who train with him every day also did not trust him.
I think that will likely be his last game. He is just not good enough for what we need right now.

We were 0-1 down for 89 minutes and he seemed to take an effing age to get the ball back in play at bye kicks and some of them went straight out for a throw in.

They had clearly done their homework as most of their good attacks came down our left - targetting Stevenson and they tried to put the keeper under pressure with shots and crosses where possible. Our two weakest links. Left back and Goalkeeper. They are also very physical. We need to toughen up a bit for the return leg.

Austinho
15-07-2016, 02:01 AM
Reading some of these comments, looks like Hibs.net has gone soft. Maybe the cup win has calmed everyone down? The guy went full Zibi tonight.

This is not a kneejerk reaction either - I'd genuinely struggle to name a worse individual performance at Easter Road. For starters the lad may have cost us the entire tie fumbling a routine daisy cutter (it's even worse on tv). Yes mistakes happen. But I'm really not sure what people mean by him growing into the game - he barely had to make a save, and when he was involved, he was giving away corners by not reacting when the defenders needed him. Our defence went into panic mode any time they had the option of playing it back to the keeper, choosing to boot it out instead - clearly they have no confidence in him. And his kicking and distribution was no good.

We have to win the league this season and we simply cannot afford to have him feature unfortunately. Lennon needs to keep looking.

Dashing Bob S
15-07-2016, 02:23 AM
I worry that he might be finnish.

HoboHarry
15-07-2016, 02:26 AM
I bet Fergie wishes he had had Hibs.netters to give him goalkeeping advice during De Gea's calamitous first season. That would have spared him wasting time on a huddie eh?

Good grief......

connerg
15-07-2016, 02:27 AM
Reading some of these comments, looks like Hibs.net has gone soft. Maybe the cup win has calmed everyone down? The guy went full Zibi tonight.

This is not a kneejerk reaction either - I'd genuinely struggle to name a worse individual performance at Easter Road. For starters the lad may have cost us the entire tie fumbling a routine daisy cutter (it's even worse on tv). Yes mistakes happen. But I'm really not sure what people mean by him growing into the game - he barely had to make a save, and when he was involved, he was giving away corners by not reacting when the defenders needed him. Our defence went into panic mode any time they had the option of playing it back to the keeper, choosing to boot it out instead - clearly they have no confidence in him. And his kicking and distribution was no good.

We have to win the league this season and we simply cannot afford to have him feature unfortunately. Lennon needs to keep looking.

:top marksThere was a reason Stubbs signed Logan. If Lennon had spent less time in Paris and more time assessing the squad he is handsomely paid to do, he would have identified the weak link. Would he of spent as much time in France if he got the Celtic job? Have a word Leanne!!

Pete
15-07-2016, 02:44 AM
I bet Fergie wishes he had had Hibs.netters to give him goalkeeping advice during De Gea's calamitous first season. That would have spared him wasting time on a huddie eh?

Good grief......

I know what you're saying but we can't afford to have a number one keeper who is at risk of having one of those rocky debut seasons, even if he eventually turns out to be as good as de Gea.

It's all about going up this season and we NEED an older, steady, reliable number one. Even just as a one season wonder. There are lots of them out there and I'm confident we'll get one soon.

HoboHarry
15-07-2016, 02:49 AM
I know what you're saying but we can't afford to have a number one keeper who is at risk of having one of those rocky debut seasons, even if he eventually turns out to be as good as de Gea.

It's all about going up this season and we NEED an older, steady, reliable number one. Even just as a one season wonder. There are lots of them out there and I'm confident we'll get one soon.
What goalie in his right mind, who possessed the qualities you describe, would sign a contract with a Scottish Championship club this early in the transfer window?

Pete
15-07-2016, 02:59 AM
What goalie in his right mind, who possessed the qualities you describe, would sign a contract with a Scottish Championship club this early in the transfer window?

There are bound to be dozens of them within the reach of Neil Lennons tentacles. Even a season's loan would do.

If you're wanting me to give names, ask yourself if you'd even heard of Conrad Logan before he signed for us.

HoboHarry
15-07-2016, 03:03 AM
There are bound to be dozens of them within the reach of Neil Lennons tentacles. Even a season's loan would do.

If you're wanting me to give names, ask yourself if you'd even heard of Conrad Logan before he signed for us.
That's not what I am saying - I am suggesting that if I was a goalkeeper with those qualities I would not be signing a contract this early in the window - I would be holding off hoping that a better financial deal would head my way.....

dunedinhibs
15-07-2016, 03:05 AM
:top marksThere was a reason Stubbs signed Logan. If Lennon had spent less time in Paris and more time assessing the squad he is handsomely paid to do, he would have identified the weak link. Would he of spent as much time in France if he got the Celtic job? Have a word Leanne!!

Firstly the point about Lennon, he was in Paris because of a pre agreed arrangement that was made before the Hibs job came up so there is no point using that as ammunition for your recreational outrage. I for one am extremely happy we could get him on board, I have a feeling we will storm the league with this season the same way the Hearts did the first season we were down.

Secondly Virtanen made a mistake a horrible mistake and if I was to make a decision on that performance alone I would say we need a more confident experienced keeper. Our management team have the benefit of not only judging him on that performance but analysing him every day in training, they also are successful professionals inside the football world and I am not (guessing your not either).

If Virtanen can improve his game and gain confidence he could grow into a quality young first team keeper, if not we move on and he can develop out of the spotlight. Im sure his mistake will have put a fire in his belly to prove doubters wrong. Lets not hang our players out to dry after 90 mins of football lets do what supporters should do and "support" them.

Onwards and upwards :flag:

DickieDastardly
15-07-2016, 03:17 AM
Not at the game tonight as on holiday but couldn't believe it when my 14yr old son told me we had just lost a goal within 1 minute (we were walking through a Disney park in Florida), put a downer on the afternoon. Similar to some of the other comments for me if he was good enough Stubbs would not have brought in and played a hugely unfit Logan ahead of an existing back up keeper; given we simply cannot afford to give games away in the league this season I think a No1 keeper must be a priority.

KWJ
15-07-2016, 03:48 AM

Think it was clear early on that he was one for the future, that future came too early for the importance of the games.

A loan spell could be the answer for now.

connerg
15-07-2016, 03:50 AM
Firstly the point about Lennon, he was in Paris because of a pre agreed arrangement that was made before the Hibs job came up so there is no point using that as ammunition for your recreational outrage. I for one am extremely happy we could get him on board, I have a feeling we will storm the league with this season the same way the Hearts did the first season we were down.

Secondly Virtanen made a mistake a horrible mistake and if I was to make a decision on that performance alone I would say we need a more confident experienced keeper. Our management team have the benefit of not only judging him on that performance but analysing him every day in training, they also are successful professionals inside the football world and I am not (guessing your not either).

If Virtanen can improve his game and gain confidence he could grow into a quality young first team keeper, if not we move on and he can develop out of the spotlight. Im sure his mistake will have put a fire in his belly to prove doubters wrong. Lets not hang our players out to dry after 90 mins of football lets do what supporters should do and "support" them.

Onwards and upwards :flag:

He was in Paris because he was out of work. Yes it was a pre agreed arrangement. When he got the Hibs job, out of respect to the club and fans, he should have kindly turned the media down. Leanne Dempster is also at fault by not insisting on this. We as fans have played our part in rallying to her call in buying over 10k season tickets.

I do like your description of having a few pints as " recreational outrage. " I've met a few Kiwi's and they all take part in the same recreation as i do. lol

Andy74
15-07-2016, 03:56 AM
Think it was clear early on that he was one for the future, that future came too early for the importance of the games.

A loan spell could be the answer for now.

He's 22 and spilling routine trundlers. How far in the future is he for? We seem to be gathering keepers that aren't really ready yet. Hopefully we add a decent number one before the league starts.

dunedinhibs
15-07-2016, 04:01 AM
He was in Paris because he was out of work. Yes it was a pre agreed arrangement. When he got the Hibs job, out of respect to the club and fans, he should have kindly turned the media down. Leanne Dempster is also at fault by not insisting on this. We as fans have played our part in rallying to her call in buying over 10k season tickets.

I do like your description of having a few pints as " recreational outrage. " I've met a few Kiwi's and they all take part in the same recreation as i do. lol

Aye they certainly do! Can't get them into the football right enough there into their egg chasing too much 🏈

HoboHarry
15-07-2016, 04:20 AM
He's 22 and spilling routine trundlers. How far in the future is he for? We seem to be gathering keepers that aren't really ready yet. Hopefully we add a decent number one before the league starts.
He spilled one in his first real game. Stop exaggerating to suit your own ends.

GlesgaeHibby
15-07-2016, 05:28 AM

Spilled two. One led to a goal, one a corner.

green day
15-07-2016, 05:32 AM
Spilled two. One led to a goal, one a corner.

Correct, and the second one for the corner was as utterly ridiculous as the spill for the goal .

If he needs time to develop, it needs to be in the under 20s.

Future17
15-07-2016, 06:00 AM
Correct, and the second one for the corner was as utterly ridiculous as the spill for the goal .

If he needs time to develop, it needs to be in the under 20s.

I think the second one was spinning as it deflected of the Hibs player. Virtanen was trying to prevent the corner.

Bristolhibby
15-07-2016, 06:09 AM
That's not what I am saying - I am suggesting that if I was a goalkeeper with those qualities I would not be signing a contract this early in the window - I would be holding off hoping that a better financial deal would head my way.....

Unless you had a mortgage to pay and Hibs came along.

J

green day
15-07-2016, 06:11 AM
I think the second one was spinning as it deflected of the Hibs player. Virtanen was trying to prevent the corner.

Yep, it was right in front of me. He was slow to react and slow to drop on it hence the spill.

He also took an age at bye kicks etc.

Might be one for the future, but not right now for me, I'm afraid.

Allant1981
15-07-2016, 06:23 AM

What difference would it have made if lennon hadnt been in paris, do they not have phones in paris for lennon to say who he wants to sign, he was away for a couple of days

Andy74
15-07-2016, 06:24 AM

What end would I be suiting?

He spilled a couple. He also had a bad one he got away with in his few minutes v Inverness.

I wouldn't expect miracles but dealing with some easy balls should be doable for a Hibs standard keeper.

marinello59
15-07-2016, 06:37 AM
We should keep trying different goalies every match until people realise that every goalie at our level has flaws.

Exactly.
Oxley had less than most.

Ronniekirk
15-07-2016, 07:01 AM
Wasnt there but by his own admission Stubbs was right. to bring in Logan and play him as Otto said he wasn't doing it in Training
Lennon has brought Palmer in on Trial and made it clear Laid Law is back up so Lennon will have to decide does he try and build up Ottos confidence and play him in a run of games or does he drop him and try Laidlaw
Lennon backed him for the European game so he will take a view for second leg but as good as our defence is they will want a keeper they are confident in

Northernhibee
15-07-2016, 07:05 AM
You can't write a player off after one game. Hope he's not becoming the replacement target for those who focused on Oxley.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
15-07-2016, 07:06 AM
Being judged after 2 games 😂😂😂😂

Heisenberg
15-07-2016, 07:07 AM
Being judged after 2 games 

Its to be expected when you chuck in a goal like last night. We need better than him.

RIP
15-07-2016, 07:08 AM
Last season we had 2 steady goalies.

Oxley who was No1 choice until he was suspended for the Scottish Cup semi-final.

Logan who played a match-winning performance at that game and performed ok in the final.

That both were allowed to leave shows genuine bad judgement in my view. But then maybe both wanted to leave?

Jdawg
15-07-2016, 07:11 AM
Last season we had 2 steady goalies.

Oxley who was No1 choice until he was suspended for the Scottish Cup semi-final.

Logan who played a match-winning performance at that game and performed ok in the final.

That both were allowed to leave shows genuine bad judgement in my view. But then maybe both wanted to leave?

Mistake last night was just as bad as Logan's in the 1st leg against Falkirk.

GoalsMcGinley
15-07-2016, 07:15 AM
Experienced goalie should be priority number one. Otso isn't the answer and could benefit from a loan spell away to get games. Laidlaw, I'm sure will be able back up. However, a 19 year old loanee from WBA isn't going to cut it either imo. We can't afford to gamble with that position this season!

BoltonHibee
15-07-2016, 08:04 AM

Spot on I'm afraid

snooky
15-07-2016, 09:46 AM
Mistake last night was just as bad as Logan's in the 1st leg against Falkirk.

I'll let any goalie off with one slip no matter how costly however, last night there was 1) the goal, 2) the fumble of a shot going wide that went for a corner and 3) at least two occasions when his slow reading of through balls almost cost us.
He only was seriously called on once and made a double save but that's what he's there for (and he gets well paid for it).

ShinyFantastic
15-07-2016, 09:51 AM
I'm afraid this is the consequence of mucking around not signing a number 1 goalie

Brightside
15-07-2016, 09:52 AM
He had that daft tape down his back last night too. No idea what that was about. Kenisio tape....does nothing.

ancient hibee
15-07-2016, 09:53 AM
It seemed pretty clear that defenders were reluctant to put him under pressure with passbacks in tight situations.While commendable it resulted in things sometimes getting more awkward than they needed to be.I suspect he's a very nervous player-not good for a goalie if he can't shake that off.

Future17
Yep, it was right in front of me. He was slow to react and slow to drop on it hence the spill.

From my angle, it looked like the ball was spinning away from Otso and going for a corner. He didn't drop on it, he dived with his arm outstretched to stop it rolling out. I think, when it first hit his arm, it was still in, but I think the spin which remained on the ball then carried it over the line. He possibly could have done better, but it was not as easy as it may have initially looked and was by no stretch of the imagination a howler.

midfield_maestro

Agree. The second Brondby attempt was terrible, kicked it straight at the goalie's foot. Very little communication between goalie and defenders at corners. All in all, can't take many crumbs of comfort from the situation at all.

Future17
15-07-2016, 09:57 AM
He had that daft tape down his back last night too. No idea what that was about. Kenisio tape....does nothing.

It's designed to provide support for muscles and aid the healing/recovery process. I can't believe we've got folk on here having a pop at a inexperienced keeper making his debut because he was wearing tape. :rolleyes:

Ozyhibby
15-07-2016, 10:04 AM
What I can't understand is how come every team in the premier league and a fair chunk of the championship have managed to get better goalies than us last two seasons when we have a bigger budget than most of them?

greenlex
15-07-2016, 10:05 AM
What I can't understand is how come every team in the premier league and a fair chunk of the championship have managed to get better goalies than us last two seasons when we have a bigger budget than most of them?

They havent.

SunshineOnLeith
15-07-2016, 10:11 AM
I'll let any goalie off with one slip no matter how costly however, last night there was 1) the goal, 2) the fumble of a shot going wide that went for a corner and 3) at least two occasions when his slow reading of through balls almost cost us.
He only was seriously called on once and made a double save but that's what he's there for (and he gets well paid for it).

While I'm in agreement that he's probably not up to it, for balance it should be pointed out that your 2) above, the shot had deflected off McGregor and he was trying to prevent a corner.

snooky
15-07-2016, 10:23 AM
While I'm in agreement that he's probably not up to it, for balance it should be pointed out that your 2) above, the shot had deflected off McGregor and he was trying to prevent a corner.

I stand corrected.
I was at the 'bottom' end and it looked like a fumble to me from there. Didn't look too clever nevertheless.

Kavinho
15-07-2016, 10:37 AM
He'll be better for the experience.

Brightside
15-07-2016, 11:10 AM
It's designed to provide support for muscles and aid the healing/recovery process. I can't believe we've got folk on here having a pop at a inexperienced keeper making his debut because he was wearing tape. :rolleyes:

I've not had a go at the goalie. But that tape is 100% hocus pocus and I'd be worried if our medical staff are now using it.

SeanWilson
15-07-2016, 11:12 AM
I've not had a go at the goalie. But that tape is 100% hocus pocus and I'd be worried if our medical staff are now using it.

I doubt it does nothing. Have seen the majority of the worlds top athletes using it.

Brightside
15-07-2016, 11:17 AM
I doubt it does nothing. Have seen the majority of the worlds top athletes using it.

Studies have shown it to be no more than a placebo.

bingo70
15-07-2016, 11:18 AM

I'm guessing there's other studies that say it does something?

SeanWilson
15-07-2016, 11:20 AM

may well be a placebo, however i'd assume there must be another study saying otherwise. sprinters, tennis players and elite footballers are regulrly seen wearing it on hamstring, back, shoulders etc

Michael
15-07-2016, 11:29 AM

Which studies are these? There's no conclusion either way at the moment.

Northernhibee
15-07-2016, 11:31 AM
So that's his Hibs career over, one game in and those missing Oxley have turned their attention elsewhere.

Sorry, Otso.

Finn2015
15-07-2016, 11:36 AM
Deserves a chance to atone not writing him off yet!

J-C
15-07-2016, 11:38 AM

can be applied in hundreds of ways and has the ability to re-educate the neuromuscular system, reduce pain and inflammation, optimize performance, prevent injury and promote good circulation and healing, and assist in returning the body to homeostasis.

Edinburgh Green
15-07-2016, 11:39 AM

It's this years cycle shorts/ nose tape.

MrRobot
15-07-2016, 11:50 AM
I cant believe people are writing him off after 1 game. Seriously a 21 year old keeper on his first competitive start for Hibs who makes a mistake and then recovers well with a few good catches and a great double save in the 2nd half.

I for one hope that our coaching team dont fail with him.

Northernhibee
15-07-2016, 11:53 AM
I cant believe people are writing him off after 1 game. Seriously a 21 year old keeper on his first competitive start for Hibs who makes a mistake and then recovers well with a few good catches and a great double save in the 2nd half.

It's really tiring. There will be people who won't give him a chance now. Wonder what his preference in coffee is.

CapitalGreen
15-07-2016, 12:08 PM
It's really tiring. There will be people who won't give him a chance now. Wonder what his preference in coffee is.

If he wins us a penalty shoot next week out nobody will notice any mistakes he makes after that, even if he costs us an important goal in a play-off match which leads us to staying in this division the following season.

Future17
15-07-2016, 12:09 PM

Even placebos have benefits.

Ozyhibby
15-07-2016, 12:22 PM

It's not just the one game though. There have been indifferent reports from u20 games, the fact that Stubbs had no faith in him to play one game against Dundee Utd and the fact that last nights defence who know him very well by now had absolutely no faith in him at all.
And he did not recover well last night at all. He struggled all night.

FromTheCapital
15-07-2016, 12:27 PM
Distribution was pish. Feet like a sand wedge.

Awful error for the goal, a decent keeper should never spill a shot like that.

Made a few decent saves in the second half but didn't fill me with confidence nor his fellow team mates.

New 'keeper needed.

MWHIBBIES
15-07-2016, 12:32 PM
Distribution was pish. Feet like a sand wedge.

Awful error for the goal, a decent keeper should never spill a shot like that.

Made a few decent saves in the second half but didn't fill me with confidence nor his fellow team mates.

New 'keeper needed.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkYet it happens all the time all over the world...

Distribution was fine, lot of good throws to start attacks. Far better than Conrad Logan distribution wise.

BSEJVT
15-07-2016, 12:32 PM
It's not just the one game though. There have been indifferent reports from u20 games, the fact that Stubbs had no faith in him to play one game against Dundee Utd and the fact that last nights defence who know him very well by now had absolutely no faith in him at all.

I don't agree with your last sentence, but even if I did, why don't we try supporting the players for once rather than looking for an excuse to criticise and then piling on that criticism ad nauseum.

Lennon may decide differently after last night, but up until then he thought Otso was the best goalkeeping option out of him, Oxley and Logan and the rest at the club.

I would suggest Lennon is better qualified to make that decision than any of the other experts on here.

Even if he goes on to be a brilliant keeper, we will have some of the usual suspects on here harking back to that mistake and remaining firm in their initial impression that he is dud.

Every slight mistake will be analysed and criticised well beyond either its severity or importance.

Or for at least as long as until we find another scapegoat.

Brightside
15-07-2016, 12:33 PM
I'm guessing there's other studies that say it does something?

"Nevertheless, studies have often shown that all this taping seems to have at least some benefits7… but generally minor, brief and inconsistent, probably somewhere in that murky gray zone between placebo and real cure. Its value is unclear, and many neutral experts — most of them, really — have dismissed it as placebo only"

Ozyhibby
15-07-2016, 12:40 PM
I don't agree with your last sentence, but even if I did, why don't we try supporting the players for once rather than looking for an excuse to criticise and then piling on that criticism ad nauseum.

Lennon may decide differently after last night, but up until then he thought Otso was the best goalkeeping option out of him, Oxley and Logan and the rest at the club.

I would suggest Lennon is better qualified to make that decision than any of the other experts on here.

Even if he goes on to be a brilliant keeper, we will have some of the usual suspects on here harking back to that mistake and remaining firm in their initial impression that he is dud.

Every slight mistake will be analysed and criticised well beyond either its severity or importance.

Players only become scapegoats if they are no good. Nobody is looking for him or any other player to fail. It's been a long time since we had a reliable keeper at Hibs. It's time that changed.

Northernhibee
15-07-2016, 12:40 PM
If he wins us a penalty shoot next week out nobody will notice any mistakes he makes after that, even if he costs us an important goal in a play-off match which leads us to staying in this division the following season.

Oxley certainly didn't get credit for the things he did well.

green day
15-07-2016, 12:43 PM

Braw, what will you say if he performs like last night first game v Falkirk?

If he is any good, he needs time in the 20s, and an experienced keeper brought in.

SunshineOnLeith
15-07-2016, 12:48 PM
Yet it happens all the time all over the world...

Distribution was fine, lot of good throws to start attacks. Far better than Conrad Logan distribution wise.

Conversely, his distribution was nowhere near as good as Mark Oxley's, if we're playing the 'compare to last season's goalies' game.

bigwheel
15-07-2016, 12:49 PM
We can't afford to be a training ground for a keeper this season - we need a steady pair of hands to make sure we win promotion. Send him out of Loan and bring someone experienced in

MWHIBBIES
15-07-2016, 12:50 PM
Players only become scapegoats if they are no good. Nobody is looking for him or any other player to fail. It's been a long time since we had a reliable keeper at Hibs. It's time that changed.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThat is not true at all. Nish, Hanlon, Stevenson, and Fyvie have all been scapegoats on here at times.

Williams was a reliable keeper.

Ozyhibby
15-07-2016, 01:08 PM
That is not true at all. Nish, Hanlon, Stevenson, and Fyvie have all been scapegoats on here at times.

Williams was a reliable keeper.

Are they scapegoats or have they just been criticised for poor performances.
I've criticised all four of them when I thought they were poor but I rate 3 of them highly now. If they were scapegoats I would still be criticising them now.
Nish was hopeless though. [emoji23]

truehibernian
15-07-2016, 01:13 PM
Ox (Alloa) and Conrad (Falkirk at home) made similar errors - it happens. What was good was the defenders in front of him encouraging, keeping things simple, making sure he got over that wobble in the very early stages.

We only conceded one goal so our overall defending was absolutely fine. He'll learn from it, we all move on to the next one.

MWHIBBIES
15-07-2016, 01:15 PM
Are they scapegoats or have they just been criticised for poor performances.
I've criticised all four of them when I thought they were poor but I rate 3 of them highly now. If they were scapegoats I would still be criticising them now.
Nish was hopeless though. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThey were criticised when they didn't play poorly by many on here. They were scapegoats for bad results when they were often the last people to blame.

I wish I was at hopeless as Colin Nish, 10th all time top SPL scorer...

Ozyhibby
15-07-2016, 01:19 PM
They were criticised when they didn't play poorly by many on here. They were scapegoats for bad results when they were often the last people to blame.

I wish I was at hopeless as Colin Nish, 10th all time top SPL scorer...

Noah done fine elsewhere but was hopeless for Hibs. Had a dreadful first touch which seemed to involve letting the ball roll from his foot up his whole body before eventually trying to get it under control when it landed. It was horrible to watch.

BSEJVT
15-07-2016, 01:21 PM

I disagree entirely with your first two points and am unconvinced by the 3rd

Point 1

Amongst certain supporters players become scapegoats for no other reason than they have heard others criticising them and jump on the bandwagon and never get off.

3 out of the 4 players you mention in a subsequent post are proof positive about that and the 4th Nish wasn't always that bad, but fell away dramatically at the end.

Point 2

Sad to say , but there are people in life who get a real jolly about putting others down and who whilst quite happy to criticise some are a lot slower to praise others

Point 3

Hibs have a budget

I am pretty relaxed about going with either Virtanen, Laidlaw or Palmer.

Whilst we have had the odd goalkeeping issue over the past 2 seasons, our failure to go up hasn't been that but a failure to score enough goals

We can only spend the same £ once

If Lennon thinks that that £ would be better spent on some creativity or another forward whilst running the risk of the odd howler, I am quite happy to support him in that.

A reliable keeper would however be an absolute necessity in the SPL

MWHIBBIES
15-07-2016, 01:24 PM
Noah done fine elsewhere but was hopeless for Hibs. Had a dreadful first touch which seemed to involve letting the ball roll from his foot up his whole body before eventually trying to get it under control when it landed. It was horrible to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkHe was never as bad as folk made out. Done a lot of running for Riordan and Stokes the season we finished 4th and scored some very important goals. Daryl Duffy was hopeless, not Colin Nish.

BSEJVT
15-07-2016, 01:27 PM

If he is any good, he needs time in the 20s, and an experienced keeper brought in.

I think part of my reply to Ozy will illustrate to you that I hold a different opinion and hopefully why.

But if the same thing happened again I would support him (nervously from behind the settee :-)

Unless a player is blatantly not trying or pulling out of tackles, I will always try and support him.

I might grumble the odd time, but wont get on his case long term.

Its not his fault the manager is picking him, whether he is up to the job or not.

BTW this is about a mythical player not Otso.

I have seen keepers with far better pedigrees and experience than Otso make errors just as bad or worse.

CapitalGreen
15-07-2016, 01:42 PM
Any flawless, experienced keepers out there we could pick up on the cheap?

Stokesy's on fire
15-07-2016, 02:05 PM
Otso is never a keeper

Famous Fiver
15-07-2016, 02:15 PM
We play Oxley in one warm up game then let him go, trialist keeper in another. We sign a Raith Rovers reserve.

Virtanen nowhere to be seen in the warm ups then thrown in to the Europa League match.

Result? Savvy opposition who decide to test him early. It took them less than 15 seconds.

Taxi for Butcher. Oops.................

CapitalGreen
15-07-2016, 02:20 PM
We play Oxley in one warm up game then let him go, trialist keeper in another. We sign a Raith Rovers reserve.

Virtanen nowhere to be seen in the warm ups then thrown in to the Europa League match.

Result? Savvy opposition who decide to test him early. It took them less than 15 seconds.

What are you on about? Vitranen played in every warm up game.

greenlex
15-07-2016, 02:25 PM

In the interests of balance what if he as a man of the match performance against Falkirk?

Unseen work
15-07-2016, 02:30 PM
He has made 2 appearances for us and made a howler in both of them.

Granted I was at last night's game so can't comment on what iv not seen. But to lose a goal as poor as that is not acceptable at any level.

The other was against caley in the cup when he came for a cross, missed it and the boy hit the bar.

Granted they are 2 very high profile games and it might just be nerves.

But iv not seen anyone rave about him at under 20s etc.

It's annoying cause I really want him to succeed.

Dalianwanda
15-07-2016, 02:33 PM
He made one mistake...he did very well with his feet when given some poor balls back. He's not the answer yet...but its a long time since we had that answer.

So many casting judgement on whether he's any good or not in under a handful of games. Not saying he's the answer but we seem to have a lot of goalkeeping, body language, mind reading experts on here who can make absolute predictions with very little evidence. It's impressive.:na na:

Andy74
15-07-2016, 02:37 PM
So many casting judgement on whether he's any good or not in under a handful of games. Not saying he's the answer but we seem to have a lot of goalkeeping, body language, mind reading experts on here who can make absolute predictions with very little evidence. It's impressive.:na na:

I think it says more about the particularly poor display. It wasn't just an isolated error. It was a shambolic performance all round that has to put severe doubt on whether he is up to it. Most naturally want new players to do well.

Green_one
15-07-2016, 02:48 PM

That was my basic reading of him - very slow in making decisons. There were several times he was behind the play and uncertain what to do. Maybe nerves maybe not. Short term not the answer

MWHIBBIES
15-07-2016, 02:53 PM

Taxi for Butcher. Oops.................Please kill me...

CapitalGreen
15-07-2016, 03:17 PM

Anybody?

Dalianwanda
15-07-2016, 03:28 PM
I think it says more about the particularly poor display. It wasn't just an isolated error. It was a shambolic performance all round that has to put severe doubt on whether he is up to it. Most naturally want new players to do well.

I didn't see the game last night so can't comment on that. It's just there's I lot of definates being posted with this poor performance to base it on. I'm happy to get a new keeper in but just think some of the comments are a bit ott..I remember de gea having a few **** ups with Man U at the start and he turned out OK.

Northernhibee
15-07-2016, 03:35 PM

One game and NL is getting "Taxi for Butcher" comments. Pathetic - back the team.

Furthermore we played well, a perfectly good goal disallowed would have made it 1-1.

Franck Stanton
15-07-2016, 03:36 PM

Whilst hesitant about slating the lad, especially as this was his first start, find I have to agree with all of your statement, especially the bit in bold.

Future17
15-07-2016, 03:37 PM

Don't let the facts get in the way of your agenda.

Liam978
15-07-2016, 03:52 PM

Well said Border Hibby, too many non believers on here not willing to trust in oor Neilly.

Ozyhibby
15-07-2016, 04:00 PM
Well said Border Hibby, too many non believers on here not willing to trust in oor Neilly.

I trust him, which is why I expect us to sign a new goalie quick sharp.

green day
15-07-2016, 05:05 PM
In the interests of balance what if he as a man of the match performance against Falkirk?

I will eat my hat......

erin go bragh
15-07-2016, 10:10 PM

McGivern is a free agent , so we could pick him up for nothing :)

Northernhibee
15-07-2016, 10:13 PM

I assume you mean McGovern. We're not going to compete with English Championship wages.

Next suggestion?

CapitalGreen
16-07-2016, 01:36 AM

Will he play for free too?

Eaststandee
16-07-2016, 01:49 AM
Some very harsh comments, I really hope he hasn't read this thread.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

CyberSauzee
16-07-2016, 09:31 AM
Didn't see the goal as was late in. Second half it did appear the defence had no confidence in passing back to him. Hopefully a settled defence and keeper will gel over a few games. It does beg the question of why Oxley was played if he was definitely off. The more games a new keeper can get with a settled back 4 the better.

Skol
16-07-2016, 09:37 AM
I dont think this is a case of Oxley haters coming out against Virtanen. In my case for all of the faults of Oxley, I actually thought he was not a bad keeper, certainly for the level we are at. However an element of our support have seen him out, partly on the basis that Virtanen cant be any worse. Based on the evidence we have, then the jury is out on that and he currently doesnt appear to be as good as Oxley. he made an immediate error that cost us the tie and was then a bombscare - whether that was as a result of the error only time will tell. I was just glad that Brondby only managed one other shot on target as I feared anything else on target was likely to go in.

I hope to be proven wrong and that Virtanen turns out to be a keeper, but on current evidence I would welcome Oxley back.

superfurryhibby
16-07-2016, 09:54 AM
I missed the goal and haven't seen the highlights yet, but aside from that Virtanen did ok. He was a bit hesitant at times when deciding whether to clear the ball of wait on the defender and his distribution wasn't wonderful. He also did the needful with the double save, acting swiftly and decisively. Either way, too much predictable bleating on this thread from some.

What I found more disturbing was the asshole a few rows behind me who gave a running narrative on the game. He insisted in referring to Virtanen as Oxley, presumably in a kind of ironic WTF attempt to be clever. You were not funny ya total and utter ersepiece.

CapitalGreen
16-07-2016, 11:11 AM

So apart from McGovern who is probably unrealistic, no suggestions?

angus hibby
16-07-2016, 02:42 PM
First post on here after viewing for a few years!

Crystal Palace just signed France's 2nd choice GK so they now have him, Hennessey, McCarthy and Julian Speroni. How about ex Dundee goalie Speroni?

MrRobot
16-07-2016, 02:46 PM

Sorry but who says Stubbs didn't trust him? He opted for a goalie who has plenty experience and played in the premier league over a young lad who had yet to feature for Hibs. I think it was a sensible decision.