PDA

View Full Version : A great game of football

Carheenlea
14-07-2016, 08:40 PM
That was a great game of football played at a ferocious pace. Enjoyed it a lot despite the scoreline.

SaulGoodman
14-07-2016, 08:42 PM
Good to hear. Plenty positives then?

matty_f
14-07-2016, 08:47 PM
Really enjoyed it. We were good.

hibsbollah
14-07-2016, 08:49 PM
Did Virtanen recover a bit?

neil7908
14-07-2016, 08:52 PM
Hmmm wouldn't say it was a great game tbh. Don't get me wrong, I'm fairly happy with how we played but bronby were pretty poor and we looked quite rusty (which is to be expected). McGinn was the only player on the park who really stood out for me.

neil7908
14-07-2016, 08:53 PM
Did Virtanen recover a bit?

Yeah, he didn't have much to do really but looked better once he settled down. There were a few slightly nervy moments but I think that was the players and fans reacting to the earlier mistake

Borderhibbie76
14-07-2016, 08:56 PM
Impressed by Hibs tonight and think we still have a a wee chance if we score 1st over there...ref and linesman horrific

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Jdawg
14-07-2016, 09:10 PM
Game was as slow as a week in the jail, laboured football.

Not sure where the ferocious football was?

I enjoyed it though, we gave as good as we got and we definitely deserved a goal.

Greencore
14-07-2016, 09:11 PM
Ref was shocking.

adhibs
14-07-2016, 09:14 PM
They werent great realy. Disapointing not to be going over with the narrow win which we wouldve deserved. Did enjoy it though. Excellent pteperation for the league as well.

green day
14-07-2016, 09:15 PM
Played pretty well, didn't look like a team 8 weeks behind brondby in preparation.

Ref was a bit of a dick, think linesman may have given offside on Boyle not JC.

Good signs for season ahead.

Bishop Hibee
14-07-2016, 09:15 PM
Wasn't a great game. No one apart on either team apart from McGinn able to put a foot on the ball. They were far quicker and more physical than any team we'll face in the Championship though and we stood up well to it. McGregor was outstanding.

Pretty Boy
14-07-2016, 09:16 PM
We played well and, being kind, were an inexperienced keeper and a debateable ref away from a very good result.

Waxy
14-07-2016, 09:16 PM
Really good game. East stand linesman was a bit crap.

GreenNWhiteArmy
14-07-2016, 09:17 PM
Game was as slow as a week in the jail, laboured football.

Not sure where the ferocious football was?

I enjoyed it though, we gave as good as we got and we definitely deserved a goal.

Agree with this 100% - maybe my expectations are just too high but before, during and after I felt it was a missed opportunity tonight. Felt we played well enough and as you say certainly deserved a goal.

Need to move the ball quicker. Thought big Marv had as poor a game as I've seen fi him. Seemed off the pace. Still in the tie though so hopefully get an early goal over there and level it up

Hibbyradge
14-07-2016, 09:18 PM
I enjoyed the game and I thought we did well.

If we play like that every week, we'll be fine.

GreenNWhiteArmy
14-07-2016, 09:19 PM
Really good game. East stand linesman was a bit crap.

"A bit crap"!!?? He was F'ng shocking!! Tbh wasn't impressed with the officials at all. Allowed a more European game to flow than let us get in about it

HUTCHYHIBBY
14-07-2016, 09:38 PM
Not sure what was great about it, cynical but savvy opposition that tried every trick in the book and got away with most of them. Had a whiff of Yam about them to be honest.

Stevie Reid
14-07-2016, 09:44 PM
For mid July, the intensity was superb. If we play like that most weeks we'll destroy Championship teams, and would be a match any SPL teams we encounter throughout the season.

Very encouraging.

Just Jimmy
14-07-2016, 09:47 PM
Loads of the ball. Plenty guts. Lack of a cutting edge. Unlucky not get something tonight. Reasonably satisfied if not happy.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

GreenCastle
14-07-2016, 09:55 PM
I enjoyed the game and performance also. Obviously wanted a better result.

Would love to be in Europe every season - it's what we should be aiming for.

Apart from the first 15 seconds we more than competed and while 2nd half we didn't have many shots on target it felt a goal wasn't too far away.

We won't play anyone this season as organised and with as much skill as them. Our home form will be fine this season - it's the away form that needs to improve and breaking teams that park the bus.

Ref was terrible - and I thought the Scottish refs were bad.

Holt will do damage in this league and if we can add a few more signings we will win the league.

wazoo1875
14-07-2016, 09:57 PM
I enjoyed the game despite the score line. Thought Mcgregor and McGinn were excellent as well as their number 19 norgaard. Thought we deserved something to take with us over there next week. Still in it tho.

Green_one
14-07-2016, 10:01 PM
Thought McGregor was excellent

Holt showed promise

Little between the sides . A physical game poorly refereed.

Lennon - calm down man - sent off within 45 minutes of first game!!!

Overall I thought we did very well and the game was worth watch. Over 13000 there too.

Banner was great. How can 200 folk make so much noise?

I did not get a flag:confused:

Itsnoteasy
14-07-2016, 10:01 PM
That was a great game of football played at a ferocious pace. Enjoyed it a lot despite the scoreline.
AEK ATHENS at ER was a great game. That was a good game. Only 1 shot on target & that was JC offside goal.

Onceinawhile
14-07-2016, 10:03 PM
I thought we were alright, definitely rusty. Don't think their keeper made a save?

If we'd been back two weeks earlier I think we'd have won.

gaz1875
14-07-2016, 10:08 PM
AEK ATHENS at ER was a great game. That was a good game. Only 1 shot on target & that was JC offside goal.

What about McGregors header and JC 20 yarder saved by the keeper?

GlesgaeHibby
14-07-2016, 10:08 PM
What about McGregors header and JC 20 yarder saved by the keeper?

And an effort from Boyle.

Pretty Boy
14-07-2016, 10:09 PM

Their keeper had 2 saves in the 1st half. One low to his left, the other low to his right.

madhatter
14-07-2016, 10:09 PM
Definitely one of the worst set of match officials I've seen and I think Lennon getting sent to the stand was an over-reaction from the referee as well. He let them time-waste and every 50/50 he gave to them. They should have had a red that he let them away with. Our disallowed goal and the offside calls in the 2nd half looked dubious and the penalty looked pretty certain even though Holt went down very enthusiastically.

The guy taking their corners was taking the p*** with the slowest jog over each time and the ref couldn't have cared less. Not sure how many times their player just jumped straight into McGregor without even looking at the ball. 18 fouls to 8, yet they only had 1 more yellow...:confused:. Many more fouls unpunished as well. Farcical ref.

On a plus side, if that ref hadn't been giving them a helping hand along the way and sadly our inexperienced goalie, they are nothing special and we could still beat them. They will be stronger at home though you would imagine. Unfortunately, Bartley wasn't really at the races. Seemed to struggle with pace of game at times, hopefully that will improve with match sharpness.

Can be proud of that performance though.

ClewsHibs
14-07-2016, 10:10 PM
Thought we played a few really decent balls forward with pace. Holt looks a brilliant outball

GreenPJ
14-07-2016, 10:12 PM
I thought we played well. When we passed the ball about we looked pretty decent considering we are still in mid pre-season.

McGregor, Hanlon (as CH), Bartley, McGinn and Holt were all good. If McGinn had been on the ball more I think we might have got the equaliser or even more - he looked dangerous every time he was on the ball. We looked like little boys for the first 10 mins against the biggest team I have seen at ER but what I liked most was we very quickly decided to get our bodies in the way and started to outfootball them.

Whilst the odds are heavily stacked against us we are still in the tie and after 17 seconds and looking at their size and strength I didn't think I would ever be saying that.

Only player I would really take from their team would have been their number 8.

Sir David Gray
14-07-2016, 10:13 PM
If we play like that every week in the Championship, we'll have the title won before the clocks go forward.

CallumLaidlaw
14-07-2016, 10:14 PM

Holt showed promise

Overall I thought we did very well and the game was worth watch. Over 13000 there too.

Think you might be being harsh on Lennon there. He says he wants to appeal it as all he did was disagree with the decision and after he's seen 3/4 angles of the decision he feels he was right to do so.

Pretty Boy
14-07-2016, 10:17 PM
Did anyone else notice at the end of the game about 4 or 5 Brondby players all head straight for McGinn and chat to him after shaking hands? I think they might have been impressed by him.

gaz1875
14-07-2016, 10:18 PM
We definitely moved the ball quicker which should help us in the league. The disallowed goal was a fantastic move, and should have been given.

madhatter
14-07-2016, 10:19 PM
Did anyone else notice at the end of the game about 4 or 5 Brondby players all head straight for McGinn and chat to him after shaking hands? I think they might have been impressed by him.

They should be. Best player on the park when he had the ball.

cabbageandribs1875
14-07-2016, 10:22 PM
Brondby will be our hardest game this season

oh and p.s. east stand linesman, when a player touches the ball with his hand just 2 ****** yards in front of you...blow the whistle you erse

Jonnyboy
14-07-2016, 10:24 PM
Wasn't a great game. No one apart on either team apart from McGinn able to put a foot on the ball. They were far quicker and more physical than any team we'll face in the Championship though and we stood up well to it. McGregor was outstanding.

Agreed and should have got MotM IMO :agree:

NAE NOOKIE
14-07-2016, 10:27 PM
I wouldn't call it a great game, but it was competitive and to be honest I was surprised at how comfortably Hibs more than matched them considering they are supposed to be a cut above us .... if we had made more of the good few times we got to the edge of their box we would probably be looking at a better result.

After about 60 minutes I was positive the ref was determined not to give us anything to prove how 'strong' he could be to whoever was assessing him. As for his linesmen .... especially the East stand one ..... honking!!!

All in all a good performance by Hibs IMO and playing like that we will easily be too good for most of the opposition we will face in the months to come ... special shout for McGinn and McGregor who were both excellent and a wee bit of sympathy for Bartley, everything including the bounce of the ball seemed to go against him.

snooky
14-07-2016, 10:29 PM
Thought we played a few really decent balls forward with pace. Holt looks a brilliant outball

Holt won a few balls in the air without jumping.
Holt lost a few balls in the air without jumping.

Waxy
14-07-2016, 10:31 PM
Brondby will be our hardest game this season

oh and p.s. east stand linesman, when a player touches the ball with his hand just 2 ****** yards in front of you...blow the whistle you erse
Linesmen dont have whistles.

cabbageandribs1875
14-07-2016, 10:34 PM
Linesmen dont have whistles.

oh i'm quite sure you know what i mean...eh

Waxy
14-07-2016, 10:41 PM
oh i'm quite sure you know what i mean...eh

Sorry resist couldnt

HUTCHYHIBBY
14-07-2016, 11:08 PM
Sorry resist couldnt

Understand why I do. :-)

Hermit Crab
15-07-2016, 12:55 AM

Not true!

connerg
15-07-2016, 01:16 AM

Holt showed promise

He feels guilty having spent so much time in Paris. He should have been doing the job he's getting paid for. Preparing the team for a Europa League game as Scottish Cup winners.

LancashireHibby
15-07-2016, 02:02 AM
Despite the result, a thoroughly enjoyable game and well worth the trip having got home 10-15 minutes ago.

Felt like a 'proper' European tie...home team going for it, technically-superior visitors on the counter attack, ultras in the away end, tackles flying in, dramatic gesturing all over the place from the (inconsistent) referee. Great stuff.

LancashireHibby
15-07-2016, 02:03 AM
Think you might be being harsh on Lennon there. He says he wants to appeal it as all he did was disagree with the decision and after he's seen 3/4 angles of the decision he feels he was right to do so.
May be worth mentioning that Lennon was sent off in his first game as Bolton manager as well.

Skyegreen
15-07-2016, 04:46 AM

Great is probably a slight exaggeration by my reckoning. It was a thoroughly good entertaining game 👌🏿💚We deserved something but that's European football. I wasn't impressed with them at all and really fancy our chances of getting a result over there.

Brightside
15-07-2016, 05:56 AM
He feels guilty having spent so much time in Paris. He should have been doing the job he's getting paid for. Preparing the team for a Europa League game as Scottish Cup winners.

I give you 4 days.