PDA

View Full Version : Neil Lennon on depression

AngusHibby
12-07-2016, 01:34 PM
Lennon opens up about his battle with depression in the hope that it will reduce stigma surrounding the illness.

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/our-region/edinburgh/hibs-boss-reveals-depression-battle-to-tackle-stigma-1-4175324#ixzz4EBm3XdkZ

Great to see that he's helped out players under him before who were suffering in silence, will make Hibs players feel like they can approach him about anything. Competitive ball hasn't been kicked and I'm already proud to have this man as our manager.

Finn2015
12-07-2016, 01:40 PM
He is impressive and he is also very thoughtful and intelligent. Like him

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-07-2016, 01:46 PM
Folk troubled with this should read the thread on The Holy Ground, it seems to have helped/offered solace to loads of people and is probably the best/most worthwhile thread there has ever been on .net.

Greencore
12-07-2016, 01:56 PM
This kind of backs up my argument I had on the ESA ticket thread you can see a broken leg, you can't see a broken mind.

J-C
12-07-2016, 02:35 PM
There's been a few high profile ex footballers who have spoken about their troubles dealing with depression, I'm delighted we have a strong manager who is able to talk and deal with these issues and it can only be good for any younger players suffering with the same problems.

Finn2015
12-07-2016, 03:36 PM
This kind of backs up my argument I had on the ESA ticket thread you can see a broken leg, you can't see a broken mind.

Very true mate and we can only hope that increased knowledge and exposure to mental health issues leads to further recognition and help for those who live daily with these issues

banarc7062
12-07-2016, 04:05 PM
I think Hibs have scored a winner with this appointment. Seems 2016 should go down as the start of big things for Hibs. Both Male and Women's Hibs teams win their respective National Cups (against Glasow opposition) and big Hibs supporter Andy Murray wins Wimbledon. GGTTH

ekhibee
12-07-2016, 04:20 PM
He actually did an interview on the BBC website about it a few years back when he was still Celtic manager. He was very frank and honest about a subject that people, to this day, find extremely difficult to talk about.

Hi Heid Yin
12-07-2016, 04:40 PM
Neil Lennon has gone up another notch in my estimation for his honesty and bravery in exposing this side to his character.
It gives us a deeper insight into the man he is and the player that he was.

Ergye
12-07-2016, 06:22 PM
No bloody wonder he suffered from depression. All those years at Darkheid.

Welcome to Leith Neil. The sun always shines here. It is a much more pleasant place for you to live and work.

Here's to years of happiness for you and the Hibees. :Awright!:

Scorrie
12-07-2016, 08:14 PM
I think it's really good that depression and mental issues are now being openly discussed and not hidden away. Well done Neil

Eyrie
12-07-2016, 08:20 PM
No bloody wonder he suffered from depression. All those years at Darkheid.

Welcome to Leith Neil. The sun always shines here. It is a much more pleasant place for you to live and work.

Here's to years of happiness for you and the Hibees. :Awright!:

I think you've missed the point of the thread.

Ergye
12-07-2016, 08:34 PM
I think you've missed the point of the thread.

I've not mate. I totally get it. I'm having a wee bit of a laugh and a joke on what I know is a serious matter. There are people looking at that D word there feeling that familiar cold shiver down their spine. Like getting a glass of ice cold water chucked in your face. I know that. Just tryna lighten the mood. Laughter is the best medicine. Maybe it wasn't funny though. I can only apologise for my crap banter in that case. :aok:

Mcpakeisgod
12-07-2016, 09:11 PM
I've not mate. I totally get it. I'm having a wee bit of a laugh and a joke on what I know is a serious matter. There are people looking at that D word there feeling that familiar cold shiver down their spine. Like getting a glass of ice cold water chucked in your face. I know that. Just tryna lighten the mood. Laughter is the best medicine. Maybe it wasn't funny though. I can only apologise for my crap banter in that case. :aok:

It's a touchy subject for some, but it's only light humour from yourself, don't apologise, laughter is the best policy

AltheHibby
12-07-2016, 09:26 PM
Ergye,

I am a sufferer and I thought the same things as you. Tiptoeing around people with mental or physical illnesses helps nobody. Laughter truly is the best medicine.

Ergye
12-07-2016, 09:29 PM
It's a touchy subject for some, but it's only light humour from yourself, don't apologise, laughter is the best policy

Great. I have some wonderful material about the black dog and Ann Budge that I am working on. :greengrin

Wee Effen Bee
12-07-2016, 09:33 PM
I think it's really good that depression and mental issues are now being openly discussed and not hidden away. Well done Neil

Agree 100% Scorrie. Really heartening to see its being brought out of the 'taboo to discuss'file and being tackled in the spotlight. I'm aware they have been encouraging primary school children to talk openly about emotional well-being/feelings for years now and they appear to be reaping the fruits of their labours. There are still some youngsters, boys especially, who view this topic as a weakness as that's how it is viewed in their homes.
I agree that humour can help as It further promotes discussion and awareness in society. Best of luck to anyone who is suffering in silence and here's hoping you find a platform to voice your concerns. Even better if members of the Hibee family can help promote positive awareness of the issues faced and can then support others through the disclosure of Neil's past.
PS: it's threads like this which continues to rekindle my faith in humanity - well done fellow Hibees.:agree:

AltheHibby
12-07-2016, 09:34 PM
Ergye,

Strangely, you've used the one phrase that does annoy me- "black dog". I just can't be unhappy in the presence f dogs, so it seems a strange phrase to me.

CropleyWasGod
12-07-2016, 09:53 PM
Ergye,

Strangely, you've used the one phrase that does annoy me- "black dog". I just can't be unhappy in the presence f dogs, so it seems a strange phrase to me.

It was coined by Winston Churchill, who described his depression as like a black dog that followed him around.

CropleyWasGod
12-07-2016, 09:55 PM
Agree 100% Scorrie. Really heartening to see its being brought out of the 'taboo to discuss'file and being tackled in the spotlight. I'm aware they have been encouraging primary school children to talk openly about emotional well-being/feelings for years now and they appear to be reaping the fruits of their labours. There are still some youngsters, boys especially, who view this topic as a weakness as that's how it is viewed in their homes.
I agree that humour can help as It further promotes discussion and awareness in society. Best of luck to anyone who is suffering in silence and here's hoping you find a platform to voice your concerns. Even better if members of the Hibee family can help promote positive awareness of the issues faced and can then support others through the disclosure of Neil's past.
PS: it's threads like this which continues to rekindle my faith in humanity - well done fellow Hibees.:agree:

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?250455-Depression-and-anxiety&highlight=depression

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-07-2016, 09:59 PM
http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?250455-Depression-and-anxiety&highlight=depression

I would've done that if i'd been in the house earlier! :-)

AltheHibby
12-07-2016, 10:08 PM
Thanks Cropley. I never knew that.

Wee Effen Bee
12-07-2016, 10:12 PM
Good shout Crops! :agree:

Ergye
12-07-2016, 10:29 PM
Ergye,

I love animals too mate.

Dogs truly are mans best friend. Forget about women. Try this as an experiment to see what I am talking about - lock your Mrs in the boot of your car for 3 hours, then do the same with your dog. Who is most pleased to see you?

Exactly.

You'll get better Al.
I love you.

AltheHibby
13-07-2016, 06:29 AM
I love animals too mate.

Dogs truly are mans best friend. Forget about women. Try this as an experiment to see what I am talking about - lock your Mrs in the boot of your car for 3 hours, then do the same with your dog. Who is most pleased to see you?

Exactly.

You'll get better Al.
I love you.

Thanks, mate. Gave me a good laugh and encouragement to start the day with.

son of haggart
13-07-2016, 10:53 AM
It was coined by Winston Churchill, who described his depression as like a black dog that followed him around.

Arthur Conan Doyle coined the phrase 'brown study' (as in Holmes was in a 'brown study') to describe periods of depression (which Holmes solved by taking class A drugs).

Well done to Lennon for lending his support to this and being open about his own issues