PDA

View Full Version : Centre midfield

Unseen work
10-07-2016, 11:05 PM
With lennon looking like he will play wingers with pace this season, can we expect to keep all of the current centre mids?

We currently have

Mcginn
Fyvie
Mcgeouch
Bartley
Stanton
Martin
Handling

Who are all capable of playing centre mid, some will be happy being a sub and getting 10 starts a season but I can't imagine the top 4 in the list being happy with that.

An option would be Mcginn and mcgeough as the wingers but I can't see it and we would miss them imo.

Interesting to see what neil does

Gmack7
10-07-2016, 11:09 PM
I can't see him trying to add Henderson unless 2 or 3 move on

Unseen work
10-07-2016, 11:12 PM
I can't see him trying to add Henderson unless 2 or 3 move on

Likewise; especially as I can't see us playing I diamond

Highland_Hibee
11-07-2016, 12:18 AM
With lennon looking like he will play wingers with pace this season, can we expect to keep all of the current centre mids?

We currently have

Mcginn
Fyvie
Mcgeouch
Bartley
Stanton
Martin
Handling

Who are all capable of playing centre mid, some will be happy being a sub and getting 10 starts a season but I can't imagine the top 4 in the list being happy with that.

An option would be Mcginn and mcgeough as the wingers but I can't see it and we would miss them imo.

I would hate to see McGinn and McGeough deployed as wingers but I see what you are trying to do. I might pick up a bit of flack but I really don't rate Fyvie as much as I thought I would when he signed. I'm not saying he's terrible but I wouldn't have him in ahead of a number of our midfielders. I like how we set up in the final. I would just start Bartley as a sitting midfielder behind McGinn and McGeough.

MWHIBBIES
11-07-2016, 01:07 AM
I would hate to see McGinn and McGeough deployed as wingers but I see what you are trying to do. I might pick up a bit of flack but I really don't rate Fyvie as much as I thought I would when he signed. I'm not saying he's terrible but I wouldn't have him in ahead of a number of our midfielders. I like how we set up in the final. I would just start Bartley as a sitting midfielder behind McGinn and McGeough.Fyvie was sensational in the final and has far more to his game than Bartley.

The midfield for most games this season will be McGeouch, Fyvie, and McGinn with Bartley swapping in for games that we need an anchor. Stanton, Martin, and Handling will all be rotated and all have a part to play.

J-C
11-07-2016, 07:43 AM

We currently have

Mcginn
Fyvie
Mcgeouch
Bartley
Stanton
Martin
Handling

Don't think Handling is a CM, played a a striker so far and Martin as good as he might be may be loaned out again to get more 1st team action, possibly at a higher level than last loan. Lennon will go 3 in the middle as that's all you really need, so add Henderson and that'll give you 6 to challenge for the 3 spots, plus he'll be rotating to keep them fresh.

The Leith Dutch
11-07-2016, 08:04 AM
Likewise; especially as I can't see us playing I diamond

Not that I'm particularly set on a diamond as a good formation but if I was to pick one thing (after winning the Scottish Cup) that I really liked about Stubbs it was the fact that he had us set up to play a few different ways.

We've often been guilty of being too easy to figure out and stop under previous managers.

Course, I'll also settle for being set up just one way if it's a way that results in us beating all the opposition :)

Keyser Sauzee
11-07-2016, 09:37 AM
Don't think Handling is a CM, played a a striker so far and Martin as good as he might be may be loaned out again to get more 1st team action, possibly at a higher level than last loan. Lennon will go 3 in the middle as that's all you really need, so add Henderson and that'll give you 6 to challenge for the 3 spots, plus he'll be rotating to keep them fresh.

Why would we do that?

J-C
11-07-2016, 09:40 AM
Why would we do that?

Because one hell of a young player who has been mentioned by a good few ITK guys that say he may be coming back, unless of course you don't want to add a talented player like that to our squad. :confused:

Brightside
11-07-2016, 09:44 AM
Why would we do that?

Eh? Are you saying you don't want Henderson in the squad?

Keyser Sauzee
11-07-2016, 09:46 AM
Because one hell of a young player who has been mentioned by a good few ITK guys that say he may be coming back, unless of course you don't want to add a talented player like that to our squad. :confused:

Ok, hadn't seen it mentioned by the ITK guys he was coming back which I'd be surprised at because I thought he would at least get a chance at Celtic this year but would be delighted if he came back.

It was merely a question to ur post which read like it was a given he was coming back, not sure why u took it as a pop at u?

Keyser Sauzee
11-07-2016, 11:11 AM
Eh? Are you saying you don't want Henderson in the squad?

See my reply to previous post

Since90+2
11-07-2016, 11:25 AM
Not really sure how I would set up the rest of the midfield but its absolutely vital that McGeouch and McGinn play in the middle of the park.

They are the two best ,and most influential , players we have so we need to play them where they can influence the game most.

SJM
11-07-2016, 11:26 AM
Ok, hadn't seen it mentioned by the ITK guys he was coming back which I'd be surprised at because I thought he would at least get a chance at Celtic this year but would be delighted if he came back.

It was merely a question to ur post which read like it was a given he was coming back, not sure why u took it as a pop at u?

To be fair it read as you wouldn't want Heno' back. As others have said also, Danny sees himself as a striker.

Keyser Sauzee
11-07-2016, 11:33 AM
To be fair it read as you wouldn't want Heno' back. As others have said also, Danny sees himself as a striker.

Fair do's not how I meant it to come across.

Not seen much of Handling in the middle of the park but if he performs better there than upfront I'm all for it.

SJM
11-07-2016, 12:11 PM
Fair do's not how I meant it to come across.

Not seen much of Handling in the middle of the park but if he performs better there than upfront I'm all for it.

👍

ancient hibee
11-07-2016, 03:40 PM
If McGeouch misses as many games as he did last season it won't be a problem .

jacomo
11-07-2016, 03:50 PM
Not really sure how I would set up the rest of the midfield but its absolutely vital that McGeouch and McGinn play in the middle of the park.

They are the two best ,and most influential , players we have so we need to play them where they can influence the game most.

IMO McGeouch or McGinn can play wide, but only if there is a proper winger on the other side, otherwise we play too narrow.

Anyhow, 4 + 2 younger players doesn't sound so bad, I'd love to see Handling succeed as a striker.

Highland_Hibee
11-07-2016, 07:04 PM
Fyvie was sensational in the final and has far more to his game than Bartley.

The midfield for most games this season will be McGeouch, Fyvie, and McGinn with Bartley swapping in for games that we need an anchor. Stanton, Martin, and Handling will all be rotated and all have a part to play.

There were games leading up to the final where Bartley was sensational. I do agree that going forward it would be Fyvie, McGeough and McGinn but if we set up in the formation I mentioned then I think a sitting midfielder is vital against all but the weakest sides.

hibsbollah
11-07-2016, 09:27 PM
There were games leading up to the final where Bartley was sensational. I do agree that going forward it would be Fyvie, McGeough and McGinn but if we set up in the formation I mentioned then I think a sitting midfielder is vital against all but the weakest sides.

:agree: There was a run of games after Christmas iirc where Bartley was the standout performer every single week. Without him we would have lost more goals and points than we actually did.