PDA

View Full Version : Question Season tickets for supporters on ESA?

HTID
10-07-2016, 06:09 PM
ESA for those that don't know stands for Employment Support Allowance. It is a government benefit for those that are unable to work through ill health and sickness. I have been on ESA support group for nearly 6 years through illness. It has nothing to do with JSA - (Job Seekers Allowance) so please don't get the two confused.

I notice that our neighbours Hearts and many other clubs offer a season ticket for those on ESA who can't afford a full season ticket at full price. Hearts are priced at OAP / Student and U16 levels. Why do Hibs not offer this? I would love to have a season ticket for the coming season but it is just too much when on ESA.

Are there any other Hibees on ESA in my position?

For the record - I used to be a full time adult season ticket for 9 years before became ill.

Would be interested to hear from any others who receive ESA and in the same position.

HibbySpurs
10-07-2016, 06:21 PM
I'm guessing this comes partly on the back of the other thread regarding folk buying reduced price ST who's should be paying full whack?

Don't the club offer those on DLA a reduced price ST? Without really knowing any better is that those on DLA are classified as disabled whereas you are not hence the ESA allowance?

Isn't it also the case that ESA is like the old Income Support which was always famous for the government shifting folk off the dole onto IS as it took them off the unemployment list and made the numbers look better?

I'm going to guess that if I'm right about the above that the reason the club may not offer it is that being on ESA is in fact not intended to be forever unlike DLA and the hope is that those on ESA will at some point be able to return to work?

If the above is somewhere near correct I think the problem may be administrative in the sense that how do you prove your on ESA for the right reasons (& I have no reason to doubt what you have said about your own situation). There will be people on ESA for a number of different reasons?

Having said that if Hearts do it I don't see why Hibs can't?

Stranraer
10-07-2016, 08:18 PM
ESA for those that don't know stands for Employment Support Allowance. It is a government benefit for those that are unable to work through ill health and sickness. I have been on ESA support group for nearly 6 years through illness. It has nothing to do with JSA - (Job Seekers Allowance) so please don't get the two confused.

I notice that our neighbours Hearts and many other clubs offer a season ticket for those on ESA who can't afford a full season ticket at full price. Hearts are priced at OAP / Student and U16 levels. Why do Hibs not offer this? I would love to have a season ticket for the coming season but it is just too much when on ESA.

Are there any other Hibees on ESA in my position?

For the record - I used to be a full time adult season ticket for 9 years before became ill.

Would be interested to hear from any others who receive ESA and in the same position.

I'm on ESA too and including my travel a season ticket would just be too much.

Greencore
10-07-2016, 09:34 PM
I'm on ESA myself. A disabled season ticket only matters to people on Higher DLA and not lower DLA or ESA. Really wanted a season ticket this season just couldn't afford it. Going to be a walk up this season instead.

Greencore
10-07-2016, 09:44 PM
I'm on ESA myself. A disabled season ticket only matters to people on Higher DLA and not lower DLA or ESA. Really wanted a season ticket this season just couldn't afford it. Going to be a walk up this season instead.

Finn2015
10-07-2016, 09:59 PM
Surely they could look into something for this? It's about bums on seats

HTID
10-07-2016, 10:00 PM
Glad to hear I am not the only one.

To get ESA you need to be certified by a doctor and go through assessments - they don't just put you on ESA. As I said - I have been certified (unfortunately) that I can't work for nearly 6 years now I just wish Hibs would recognise ESA in the same why that Hearts and many other clubs do.

HTID
10-07-2016, 10:41 PM
Replied to the bits in bold

I'm guessing this comes partly on the back of the other thread regarding folk buying reduced price ST who's should be paying full whack?

People who are eligible for reduced price tickets and season tickets should have the relevant documentation to prove it, much like students have to do.

Don't the club offer those on DLA a reduced price ST? Without really knowing any better is that those on DLA are classified as disabled whereas you are not hence the ESA allowance?

Yes they do. Just because I am not in a wheelchair or disabled it does not mean I don't have a disability or illness that is preventing me to work. If you are on higher rate DLA then you qualify for a discount season ticket. The irony is that people on higher rate DLA (or PIP as it is now called) have more money to spend each month than those on ESA & lower rate DLA. The benefit system have been overhauled recently putting the DLA into different category. Hibs have not moved with the times to recognise this. For example it is now called PIP, ESA SG, ESA WG etc etc. Hibs need to look at the whole system again.

Isn't it also the case that ESA is like the old Income Support which was always famous for the government shifting folk off the dole onto IS as it took them off the unemployment list and made the numbers look better?

No, if that is the case then it is not any more. I have to go through many assessments, social workers and doctors to get ESA.

I'm going to guess that if I'm right about the above that the reason the club may not offer it is that being on ESA is in fact not intended to be forever unlike DLA and the hope is that those on ESA will at some point be able to return to work?

There is nothing more that I would love that return to work. It just is not possible and hasn't been possible for almost 6 years.

If the above is somewhere near correct I think the problem may be administrative in the sense that how do you prove your on ESA for the right reasons (& I have no reason to doubt what you have said about your own situation). There will be people on ESA for a number of different reasons?

I get an annual award letter from the DWP that I could show to the ticket office. It usually gets sent every April. I can also request another letter on request.

I hope they do. Otherwise it is a game here and there for me. I only raise this issue as I notice that many clubs do offer and understand this including our maroon neighbours. It sucks that we don't.

Tin hat on

BSEJVT
11-07-2016, 12:45 PM

Tin hat on

Firstly I am sorry to hear that you are not well enough to work.

Secondly there is IMO no need for a tin hat, as far as I am concerned there is absolutely no debate on this site around people who are entitled to concessionary rates getting them and there have indeed been discussions around how more people who cannot attend the matches getting to do so.

The recent noise is around people who are not by any stretch of the imagination entitled to concessionary rates scamming the club to get them.

I doubt it occurs to them or that they would even care that their doing may compromise the clubs ability to accommodate people who actually deserve them.

I wouldn't feel capable of understanding the differences in degrees of disability, let alone in discussing them, but if I had any suggestion to make it would be to make contact with Amit or Frank and have them raise the issue for you and other people in your situation at Board level.

I hope this gets resolved for you.

I hope also that there is an improvement in your circumstances shortly.

ian cruise
11-07-2016, 12:51 PM
I think it's good that the other discussion has raised a couple of interesting pounts/ideas that our club should be looking in to regarding the pricing and availability of tickets, particularly if it's something other clubs already have in place. Hopefully our fan reps and/or the Working Together groups can raise these points asap and the club can begin to look at any potential solutions.

pacoluna
11-07-2016, 12:59 PM
I think it's good that the other discussion has raised a couple of interesting pounts/ideas that our club should be looking in to regarding the pricing and availability of tickets, particularly if it's something other clubs already have in place. Hopefully our fan reps and/or the Working Together groups can raise these points asap and the club can begin to look at any potential solutions.

My dad gets a reduced rate on his ST ticket for helping my Grandad to games who is categorized as a level 1 through the DLA. If categorized as level 2 or 3 and in need of support to get to games the carer is not entitled to any discount which I found a tad harsh.

barcahibs
11-07-2016, 01:42 PM
I've posted a few times on the other thread being critical of those who choose to get concessionary tickets they're not entitled to.

Just want to be absolutely clear that I don't have any problem with discounts for those who should get them.

I'd be supportive of a scheme for long term recipients of benefits such as ESA getting some sort of recognition of this in their ticket price.

No need for the OP to have his tin hat on IMO.

The only issue is that, as the other thread shows, some people would try to take the opportunity to scam the system, meaning Hibs would have to put a fair wedge of resources into policing the whole thing (and pay some lawyers to write the rules so we don't have any "loopholes" for people with no self control to exploit).

It's still a good idea if it can be done sensibly though.

Keith_M
11-07-2016, 01:52 PM
I've posted a few times on the other thread being critical of those who choose to get concessionary tickets they're not entitled to.

Just want to be absolutely clear that I don't have any problem with discounts for those who should get them.

:agree:

lucky
11-07-2016, 02:14 PM
Excellent idea but why not email Leeann about this. It would help if fans helped police the fraudulent use of discounted tickets

HibbySpurs
11-07-2016, 06:14 PM

Tin hat on

No tin hat required mate, great responses.

Going by what you say I see no reason why a concession ticket should not be available.

Also I agree it's ironic that those getting pip have more money yet qualify for discounts left, right and centre.

I'm sure they used to let "UB40" recipients into the horse racing for nothing as well.... That's really ironic!

Bostonhibby
11-07-2016, 06:31 PM
Firstly I am sorry to hear that you are not well enough to work.

Secondly there is IMO no need for a tin hat, as far as I am concerned there is absolutely no debate on this site around people who are entitled to concessionary rates getting them and there have indeed been discussions around how more people who cannot attend the matches getting to do so.

The recent noise is around people who are not by any stretch of the imagination entitled to concessionary rates scamming the club to get them.

I doubt it occurs to them or that they would even care that their doing may compromise the clubs ability to accommodate people who actually deserve them.

I wouldn't feel capable of understanding the differences in degrees of disability, let alone in discussing them, but if I had any suggestion to make it would be to make contact with Amit or Frank and have them raise the issue for you and other people in your situation at Board level.

I hope this gets resolved for you.

I hope also that there is an improvement in your circumstances shortly.

:agree:Definitely endorse this, one for the Fans reps. to raise at the right level on behalf of affected and concerned fans.

MyJo
11-07-2016, 06:32 PM
I think the best thing would be contact the club or Leeann directly, if its something that is preventing supporters from attending easter road then i imagine she would be keen to look into it.

At the end of the day its not like we dont have enough seats to meet demand and if its a choice of having a concession priced season ticket or an empty seat and dissappointed fans who want to attend games then it must be better for the club to get that seat sold.

Also if someone receiving ESA goes back to work then they are more likely to turn into full price paying season ticket holders if they have had the chance to attend games and have a season ticket when not working.

portycabbage
11-07-2016, 08:59 PM

As far as being able to work etc, DLA and it's replacement PIP are in work benefits - ie you can have a job and still claim, while ESA or incapacity benefit are if you can't work. Both are assessed periodically and are not necessarily forever.

HTID
12-07-2016, 12:26 PM
I have contacted the club several times to let them know about ESA informing them what it is and mentioned the many other clubs that offer it (Hearts included). They got back to me saying they only offer a reduction if on higher rate DLA or enhanced PIP.

I hope someone at the club reads this thread and rethinks. It would be great to go along and support the club again and I am sure I am not the only one.

Greencore
12-07-2016, 01:53 PM
I have contacted the club several times to let them know about ESA informing them what it is and mentioned the many other clubs that offer it (Hearts included). They got back to me saying they only offer a reduction if on higher rate DLA or enhanced PIP.

I hope someone at the club reads this thread and rethinks. It would be great to go along and support the club again and I am sure I am not the only one. most people on ESA are physically disabled and rightly so. So they are also entitled to higher rate DLA, take someone with a mental health problem they are entitled to ESA (only if it effects their day to day living) but it can be harder for them to get on higher rate DLA.

It's that age old argument mental health problem vs a physical health problem and sadly people with physical health problems are seen as "well they have a right to be on it" compared to someone with a mental health problem "there's nothing wrong with you, we can't see your health problem"

Just my opinion and as someone who suffers from a mental health problem I believe both should be equal in certain circumstances.

HTID
12-07-2016, 04:21 PM
most people on ESA are physically disabled and rightly so. So they are also entitled to higher rate DLA, take someone with a mental health problem they are entitled to ESA (only if it effects their day to day living) but it can be harder for them to get on higher rate DLA.

It's that age old argument mental health problem vs a physical health problem and sadly people with physical health problems are seen as "well they have a right to be on it" compared to someone with a mental health problem "there's nothing wrong with you, we can't see your health problem"

Just my opinion and as someone who suffers from a mental health problem I believe both should be equal in certain circumstances.

Very true. I also suffer mental health problems.

One thing I forgot to add; there are two categories in ESA:

The support group: If you’ve been put in the support group, it means the DWP has decided that you can’t work and that it doesn’t expect you to do anything to improve your chances of finding work.
The work-related activity group: If you’ve been put into the work-related activity group it means the DWP has decided that your disability or health condition does limit your ability to work right now, but that there are things you can do to improve this.

I am in the support group and have been for many years now. People in the work-related group are expected to return to work at some point. Like many other clubs that offer season tickets to people on ESA the club restrict it to ESA support group only and need to show their annual award letter. I get assessed each and every year.

HTID
24-07-2016, 09:55 PM
Bump for Frank Dougan / Amit Moudgil

HTID
02-04-2017, 10:28 PM
Well, here we are and nothing has changed; same old some might argue.

I was hoping that with this thread I created there would be change.......Amit the rep said he would pick up on it.

If Hearts can do it then why can't we? Why can't we offer and ESA discount ticket?

I am gutted because I would love to get a ST.......will now support us when I can though. :flag:

It would be interesting if the new rep could pick this thread up and see where it goes.?

#GGTTH

traceyhibs
05-04-2017, 11:25 AM

I was hoping that with this thread I created there would be change.......Amit the rep said he would pick up on it.

If Hearts can do it then why can't we? Why can't we offer and ESA discount ticket?

I am gutted because I would love to get a ST.......will now support us when I can though. :flag:

It would be interesting if the new rep could pick this thread up and see where it goes.?

#GGTTH

Hi there,

Sorry to hear that no one has picked this up for you and at least taken to the club.

I will certainly speak with the club on your behalf and get back to you with the response. I have had a look at the Hearts Website and they offer ESA along with FTE and OAP in the same pricing bracket. There may be reasons behind why the club don't offer this but I will certainly speak with them.

If you need to contact me directly, you can reach me at tsmith@hibernianfc.co.uk

Thanks for bringing this up again

Tracey

StevieT
05-04-2017, 12:00 PM
Hi there,

Sorry to hear that no one has picked this up for you and at least taken to the club.

I will certainly speak with the club on your behalf and get back to you with the response. I have had a look at the Hearts Website and they offer ESA along with FTE and OAP in the same pricing bracket. There may be reasons behind why the club don't offer this but I will certainly speak with them.

If you need to contact me directly, you can reach me at tsmith@hibernianfc.co.uk

Thanks for bringing this up again

Tracey

Well done Tracey :aok:

wookie70
05-04-2017, 12:07 PM
I was just talking about this yesterday. Seems strange we offer students a discount but not other groups that can't find or simply can't work. The students ticks are the same price as I pay for my 12 year old so incredibly good value for someone who may well work holidays and part time. No problem with the student ticket but hope we can get something sorted for other groups.

tamsonsbairn
05-04-2017, 01:40 PM
Very true. I also suffer mental health problems.

One thing I forgot to add; there are two categories in ESA:

The support group: If you’ve been put in the support group, it means the DWP has decided that you can’t work and that it doesn’t expect you to do anything to improve your chances of finding work.
The work-related activity group: If you’ve been put into the work-related activity group it means the DWP has decided that your disability or health condition does limit your ability to work right now, but that there are things you can do to improve this.

I am in the support group and have been for many years now. People in the work-related group are expected to return to work at some point. Like many other clubs that offer season tickets to people on ESA the club restrict it to ESA support group only and need to show their annual award letter. I get assessed each and every year.
i am in this group(wrag) but also have higher rate DLA so i think you are wrong in saying that only people in the support group are entitled to the discount season ticket. if you are on higher rate DLA it doesn't matter which group you are in,(wrag or support group).

traceyhibs
05-04-2017, 01:55 PM
i am in this group(wrag) but also have higher rate DLA so i think you are wrong in saying that only people in the support group are entitled to the discount season ticket. if you are on higher rate DLA it doesn't matter which group you are in,(wrag or support group).

I know with Hearts you have to be in the support group

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

traceyhibs
05-04-2017, 06:52 PM

#GGTTH

Hi there,

I've spoken with Frank and will Private Message you.

Thanks

Tracey :-)