PDA

View Full Version : Goalkeeper - Just re-sign LOGAN!!!!

thebausburst
09-07-2016, 06:38 PM
It is becoming increasingly apparent that we don't have a no1 goalkeeper lined up so why don't we just re-sign Logan? I don't see anything to suggest that we will get someone better than him and now we're potentially going into our European tie with what was our old 3rd choice????

CapitalGreen
09-07-2016, 06:43 PM
I'm happy to go with Vitranen

thebausburst
09-07-2016, 06:47 PM
I'm happy to go with Vitranen
I'm not, never known a club like Hibs for going through goalies, seriously how difficult can it be to get someone decent and reliable yet we always seem to be scrabbling about handing out trials to any Tom Dick or Harry, so fed up with it!

JDT
09-07-2016, 06:47 PM
What about Colin Doyle the current Blackpool gk? He's available for only £1!

MWHIBBIES
09-07-2016, 06:48 PM
9 days into the transfer window :faf:

Wilson
09-07-2016, 06:48 PM

Can't see Rod sanctioning the fee...

thebausburst
09-07-2016, 06:50 PM
9 days into the transfer window :faf:
Euro tie on Thursday, no recognised snr no1, aye it's hilarious right enuf :brickwall

CapitalGreen
09-07-2016, 06:51 PM
I'm not, never known a club like Hibs for going through goalies, seriously how difficult can it be to get someone decent and reliable yet we always seem to be scrabbling about handing out trials to any Tom Dick or Harry, so fed up with it!

Vitranen isn't decent or reliable?

I'd like to know how you have come to this opinion.

HibbyKeith
09-07-2016, 06:51 PM
Lennon confirmed in his most recent HTV interview that Otso will play in the Euro tie, the number one spot is in his hands at the moment. Also that the lad signed from Raith will come in as our #3 and we are actively in the market for a new #1.

thebausburst
09-07-2016, 06:55 PM
Lennon confirmed in his most recent HTV interview that Otso will play in the Euro tie, the number one spot is in his hands at the moment. Also that the lad signed from Raith will come in as our #3 and we are actively in the market for a new #1.
Yeah I get all that and the 9 days into the window stuff just has the feel that it will drag on and on and we'll end up with a laddie in goals for the Falkirk game. IMO goalie is not like other positions and we need to get someone in early to work on our defensive shape, getting to know each other etc and using these up and coming games to do that.

MWHIBBIES
09-07-2016, 06:57 PM
Euro tie on Thursday, no recognised snr no1, aye it's hilarious right enuf :brickwallThe only reason we don't have a recognised number 1 is because we haven't played yet. Even if we signed someone we wouldn't have a recognised number 1.

Ozyhibby
09-07-2016, 06:57 PM
We need better than Oxley or Logan. And we can afford better than Oxley or Logan. I don't see why we should accept less than we can afford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tamig
09-07-2016, 06:58 PM
Yeah I get all that and the 9 days into the window stuff just has the feel that it will drag on and on and we'll end up with a laddie in goals for the Falkirk game. IMO goalie is not like other positions and we need to get someone in early to work on our defensive shape, getting to know each other etc and using these up and coming games to do that.
The game on Thursday isn't a priority. I'm sure the new number 1 will be in place well ahead of the first league game.

Famous Fiver
09-07-2016, 06:59 PM
The Ballad of Otso Vitranen does not have the same ring as 'The Ballad of Conrad Logan'. Go listen!!!!

MWHIBBIES
09-07-2016, 07:00 PM
Yeah I get all that and the 9 days into the window stuff just has the feel that it will drag on and on and we'll end up with a laddie in goals for the Falkirk game. IMO goalie is not like other positions and we need to get someone in early to work on our defensive shape, getting to know each other etc and using these up and coming games to do that.What is wrong with Virtanen being in goals for the Falkirk game?

CapitalGreen
09-07-2016, 07:20 PM

Vitranen isn't a laddie

CallumHibs07
09-07-2016, 07:21 PM
Otso's 22 and has played nearly 100 games already. No problem giving him the chance to make the spot his. Otherwise why sign him :confused:

NORTHERNHIBBY
09-07-2016, 07:28 PM
There were questions asked about Virtanen when we signed Logan. But if now isn't the time for him to start then it begs the question when will it be? The boy Laidlaw looks to be a back up as does the loanee? Can't have three back ups.

Kojock
09-07-2016, 07:32 PM

Why would he buy one player for a £1 when he could have bought Rangers for the same amount.

Allant1981
09-07-2016, 07:36 PM

How do you know virtanen isnt a decent goalie? He hasnt been given a run of games yet to see if he is any good

BroxburnHibee
09-07-2016, 07:37 PM
The league is the priority.

We'll have a goalie in by then

CropleyWasGod
09-07-2016, 07:39 PM

Doesn't Virtanen do that in training? Or just he just sit at EM and watch the big boys playing?

CapitalGreen
09-07-2016, 07:41 PM
Doesn't Virtanen do that in training? Or just he just sit at EM and watch the big boys playing?

He's 6ft 5, you would struggle find many bigger boys at EM ;-)

CropleyWasGod
09-07-2016, 07:43 PM
He's 6ft 5, you would struggle find many bigger boys at EM ;-)

So maybe he just doubles as a goalpost, or a hat stand?

Canny be working as a goalie, that much has been made plain :rolleyes:

Highland_Hibee
09-07-2016, 08:09 PM
I have no issue with us sticking a 6ft5 22yo Finnish lad in goal for the time being. Can anyone here honestly say before the Semi Final that they looked at Conrad Logan and said "Yes, that is who I want as our number 1"?

gaz1875
09-07-2016, 08:11 PM
It is becoming increasingly apparent that we don't have a no1 goalkeeper lined up so why don't we just re-sign Logan? I don't see anything to suggest that we will get someone better than him and now we're potentially going into our European tie with what was our old 3rd choice????

I can't for the life of me understand why they never :confused: one mistake in all the games he has played, and was one of the main reasons we won the cup. Now we look like we are stuck with a keeper half the support don't want and another the previous manager had no faith in!!

Ronniekirk
09-07-2016, 08:13 PM

The reality is we don't know how Otto will do as he is untested by us apart from his brief appearance v I C T
Stubbs didn't pit his faith in him when he dropped The Ox and you cant knock that decision as Logan helped us win The Holy Grail
So it's taking a risk playing Otto bit Lennon has seen him in Training and the first Team If he doesn't think he is good enough he would play Laid Law
So its a chance for Otto to show what he can do

CapitalGreen
09-07-2016, 08:13 PM
I can't for the life of me understand why they never :confused: one mistake in all the games he has played, and was one of the main reasons we won the cup. Now we look like we are stuck with a keeper half the support don't want and another the previous manager had no faith in!!

Stubbs had no faith in him but gave him a 3.5 year contract?

Ok

PatHead
09-07-2016, 08:15 PM
Who said Logan wanted to stay at Hibs. He may have other irons in the fire.

GreenNWhiteArmy
09-07-2016, 08:20 PM
I'm probably in the minority here but having attended most games since Logan signed I wasn't all that impressed with him.

He'll forever be a hero for his outstanding contribution in the semi final but in reality... We'd have expected him to save most of the shots. It's his penalty heroics that will never be forgotten. In the final... did he even have a save to make?

In the league games, I must admit to being petrified every time the ball went near him. Did the defence even listen to him? A few good kicks and catches from crosses but also some horrendous kicks which at times made him look amateur-ish. Not forgetting the error that effectively sent Falkirk through (the equaliser St easter road)

Always felt since that semi, in some people's eyes he could do no wrong. He couldn't even do a proper warm up for being so unfit. If that's what we're striving for then I'm out

thebausburst
09-07-2016, 08:22 PM

He won't be the no1

Fisherrow Harp
09-07-2016, 08:36 PM
Would folk rather we just went for a keeper and end up in same situ we seem to get ourselves in year after year with an ify keeper, then moan like f*** when he couldn't catch the cold or flaps at ever ball?

Ozyhibby
09-07-2016, 08:36 PM
I'm probably in the minority here but having attended most games since Logan signed I wasn't all that impressed with him.

He'll forever be a hero for his outstanding contribution in the semi final but in reality... We'd have expected him to save most of the shots. It's his penalty heroics that will never be forgotten. In the final... did he even have a save to make?

In the league games, I must admit to being petrified every time the ball went near him. Did the defence even listen to him? A few good kicks and catches from crosses but also some horrendous kicks which at times made him look amateur-ish. Not forgetting the error that effectively sent Falkirk through (the equaliser St easter road)

Always felt since that semi, in some people's eyes he could do no wrong. He couldn't even do a proper warm up for being so unfit. If that's what we're striving for then I'm out

100% agree. He is nowhere near good enough for what we need. Other teams in the championship will have better goalies than Logan or Oxley. I don't see why we should not be able to get the best goalie in the league.

Mr White
09-07-2016, 08:38 PM
Who said Logan wanted to stay at Hibs. He may have other irons in the fire.

:agree: beneath a full hog roast no doubt :greengrin

CapitalGreen
09-07-2016, 08:40 PM
We should try and get Ben Williams back for the Brondby game. He is experienced and has played against Scandinavian teams in European competition previously...

J-C
09-07-2016, 08:50 PM
Euro tie on Thursday, no recognised snr no1, aye it's hilarious right enuf :brickwall

Lennon said Virtanen has 100 games under his belt from the Finnish Premier league, he's spoken to Coome who says he's not had the opportunity yet and who knows we might have a good keeper right under our noses.

Pretty Boy
09-07-2016, 08:54 PM
I'm confident enough we'll have a new keeper come deadline day but don't dare express otherwise.

CropleyWasGod
09-07-2016, 08:58 PM
We should try and get Ben Williams back for the Brondby game. He is experienced and has played against Scandinavian teams in European competition previously...

What's Jim Herriott up to these days?

gaz1875
09-07-2016, 09:03 PM
Stubbs had no faith in him but gave him a 3.5 year contract?

Ok

So why did he sign Logan and put him straight in? I know, he had loads of faith in him that's why :rolleyes:

Scouse Hibee
09-07-2016, 09:03 PM
Will people be happy if tomorrow we sign a fat unfit keeper who hasn't played for 18 months through injury?

Scouse Hibee
09-07-2016, 09:04 PM
What's Jim Herriott up to these days?

Last seen with his arms in a cows erse.

CropleyWasGod
09-07-2016, 09:05 PM
Last seen with his arms in a cows erse.

Perfect for when we next play the Hertz :greengrin

Edit.... as opposed to Logan, who would have his jaws round the whole cow.

gaz1875
09-07-2016, 09:10 PM

Good job you missed all the games prevous to Logan's arrival then, there wasn't many saves of the 'expected variety' getting done in fact not many full stop...He made one bad mistake against Falkirk no one would deny that, he is there to make saves not pick players out with 50 yard passes, so as far as goal kicks go or from hand, the odd stray one doesn't concern me.

BSEJVT
09-07-2016, 09:11 PM
Imo other than the Cup Semi, the reason folk liked Logan was that he wasn't Oxley

I saw nothing from him other than the Cup semi to suggest he was any improvement on Oxley.

IMO the only reason Stubbs persisted with Logan was and is that Oxley looked to have lost all confidence

I wish Mark on all the best in his new challenge

Northernhibee
09-07-2016, 09:14 PM
ffs, what a bunch of moaners, whiners and spoilt brats on here tonight. :rolleyes:

Scottie
09-07-2016, 09:14 PM
Highly doubtful mate as he's just signed for Bury from Bradford :rolleyes:

GreenNWhiteArmy
09-07-2016, 09:17 PM
Good job you missed all the games prevous to Logan's arrival then, there wasn't many saves of the 'expected variety' getting done in fact not many full stop...He made one bad mistake against Falkirk no one would deny that, he is there to make saves not pick players out with 50 yard passes, so as far as goal kicks go or from hand the odd stray ones doesn't concern me.

I actually attended most home games and a lot of away games last season funnily enough. I don't think Oxley is anywhere near as bad as is being made out by most on here. The stats from the 1st half of the season seem to be have been conveniently forgotten.... or was that the season before? Either way my point still remains. That rangers game in the 1st quarter of the season (which had we lost would have been out of the title race before mid Nov!!) Oxley was phenomenal.

I personally thought Logan looker amateur-ish in most of the games he played. Not gonna turn this in to an Oxley thread that's been done enough but Logan is not the answer going forward imo

gaz1875
09-07-2016, 09:18 PM
Imo other than the Cup Semi, the reason folk liked Logan was that he wasn't Oxley

I saw nothing from him other than the Cup semi to suggest he was any improvement on Oxley.

IMO the only reason Stubbs persisted with Logan was and is that Oxley looked to have lost all confidence

I wish Mark on all the best in his new challenge

Really? Logan made saves and gave clear commands to the defence in front of him, surely that was an improvement?

gaz1875
09-07-2016, 09:24 PM
I actually attended most home games and a lot of away games last season funnily enough. I don't think Oxley is anywhere near as bad as is being made out by most on here. The stats from the 1st half of the season seem to be have been conveniently forgotten.... or was that the season before? Either way my point still remains. That rangers game in the 1st quarter of the season (which had we lost would have been out of the title race before mid Nov!!) Oxley was phenomenal.

I personally thought Logan looker amateur-ish in most of the games he played. Not gonna turn this in to an Oxley thread that's been done enough but Logan is not the answer going forward imo

One good game in two seasons is nothing to shout about I guess. Logan did look unfit and I would be pretty sure he would agree, he hadn't played in 14 months, he still only made one bad mistake. Don't forget the very next game against Rangers after the cup match Oxley was back in goals, pretty sure you will remember the Rangers goal just before half time :rolleyes:

Mr White
09-07-2016, 09:25 PM
ffs, what a bunch of moaners, whiners and spoilt brats on here tonight. :rolleyes:

Well done for steering the thread away from that kind of thing :thumbsup:

GreenNWhiteArmy
09-07-2016, 09:47 PM
One good game in two seasons is nothing to shout about I guess. Logan did look unfit and I would be pretty sure he would agree, he hadn't played in 14 months, he still only made one bad mistake. Don't forget the very next game against Rangers after the cup match Oxley was back in goals, pretty sure you will remember the Rangers goal just before half time :rolleyes:

Conveniently forgetting the "best defence in the uk" stat I mentioneded we had during the season but that's cool bash on wi yer Oxley hating. Also forgetting the games.... Aberdeen, alloa, morton,Livi all at home (all just off the top of my head) where had it not been for Oxley we wouldn't have got the 3 points.

Let's see who's playing at a higher level in a year or 2.... my money's on Oxley

gaz1875
09-07-2016, 09:57 PM
Conveniently forgetting the "best defence in the uk" stat I mentioneded we had during the season but that's cool bash on wi yer Oxley hating. Also forgetting the games.... Aberdeen, alloa, morton,Livi all at home (all just off the top of my head) where had it not been for Oxley we wouldn't have got the 3 points.

Let's see who's playing at a higher level in a year or 2.... my money's on Oxley

You never mentioned defenders other than the goalkeepers? And I don't hate any Hibs player and that includes Oxley, not sure how you can even suggest I hated him. Do I think he is a good goalkeeper? then no, do I think he will be playing higher than the Scottish Championship?then that depends on how high you rate Southend reserves if he signs.

Finn2015
09-07-2016, 10:01 PM
Why have we let him go? Any reason? Never saw one myself

Ergye
09-07-2016, 10:28 PM

Worst post in the history of football forums.

Admins. Can we ban this heretic immediately.

Ergye
09-07-2016, 10:29 PM

😆👍

Scouse Hibee
09-07-2016, 10:36 PM

Your post tops it.

lord bunberry
09-07-2016, 10:38 PM
When we signed Virtanen I thought he had the pedigree to be more than just a back up keeper. He's a highly rated young goalkeeper and that's in keeping with our signing policy. I hope he starts tomorrow and against brondby and makes the position his own
ggtth

PatHead
09-07-2016, 10:41 PM

:top marks

GreenNWhiteArmy
09-07-2016, 11:07 PM

Hahahaha belter. It's nae hair of ma baws if ye don't agree wi me but is there a need to be quite so dramatic?

flash
09-07-2016, 11:12 PM
To be fair injury or not he was a size you simply wouldn't expect of a professional sportsman.

Wilson
09-07-2016, 11:28 PM
To be fair injury or not he was a size you simply wouldn't expect of a professional sportsman.

Obviously you are not a big follower of sumo wrestling...

BSEJVT
10-07-2016, 01:39 AM
Really? Logan made saves and gave clear commands to the defence in front of him, surely that was an improvement?

We still shipped lots of goals, of the same nature as before so no not really, semi apart I am not sure I saw Logan make any saves i wouldn't have expected Oxley or any competent keeper to.

Oxley isn't perfect but just happened to be last years boo boy following Liam Craig's departure.

It becomes a self perpetuating myth.

We don't need to look too far back to find it was Lewis's turn once and look how he turned out.

Oxley's as good as gone so it a moot point but for me Logan would have been no significant improvement.

Jdawg
10-07-2016, 02:54 AM

In terms of the semi final, he was fantastic throughout the 120 minutes not just the penalties. I would slightly disagree that the saves in normal time were expected of any keeper though, he came out quickly and made very good saves and blocks.

The goal that trickled through against Falkirk was an absolutely howler and appears to have been largely glossed over. It was a terrible error and if it had been Oxley this board would still have been going on about it.

As a keeper if you play 40 odd games in a season you will make more mistakes. What's Logan's, 1 very bad mistake in 5 games, doesn't bode well for a full season.

I'd rather we didn't resign him and get someone better.

ian cruise
10-07-2016, 07:02 AM
Hahahaha belter. It's nae hair of ma baws if ye don't agree wi me but is there a need to be quite so dramatic?

Ergye will clarify himself I'm sure but I'm fairly certain his reply was tongue in cheek.

Marco G
10-07-2016, 07:12 AM
Why have we let him go? Any reason? Never saw one myself
It has been stated that when he signed that contract extension a year ago it lets him leave if he wants! So maybe we have no say in it?
I think we may struggle to sign a replacement better than him, but Laidlaw may well be a good punt as a backup, so hope that Virtanen shows quickly that he has what it takes to step up in the meantime.
I dont buy into the idea that all the other keepers touted, eg Bell, are much better than Oxley, but am hoping for a good surprise signing spotted by Lennon and our scouting staff.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

banarc7062
10-07-2016, 08:57 AM
I think we should all get behind Virtanen and give our support. We may all be pleasantly surprised. GGTTH

Eyrie
10-07-2016, 09:32 AM
There wasn't much between Logan and Oxley for me. Both were decent keepers for us at this level without being genuine stars, and either would do a good job next season.

The difference in supporter attitudes can largely be explained by Logan's match winning performance on his debut which made him into an instant cult hero. He wasn't here long enough for the shine to wear off.

Ozyhibby
10-07-2016, 09:52 AM
There wasn't much between Logan and Oxley for me. Both were decent keepers for us at this level without being genuine stars, and either would do a good job next season.

The difference in supporter attitudes can largely be explained by Logan's match winning performance on his debut which made him into an instant cult hero. He wasn't here long enough for the shine to wear off.

For me, neither of them were good enough.
Last season Falkirk had a better goalie than us. That's unacceptable given the finances of the two clubs.

Ergye
10-07-2016, 09:52 AM

Before Conrad came in to my life I was a broken man. Drinking heavily. Abusing drugs. I used to kick my dog and smear his poop on the letterbox to antagonise my postman. My wife left me. Kids didn't talk to me. One time I even drank beer with a Rangers fan and nodded with empathy at his sectarian leanings. I was becoming a monster. I became a monster.

Since our sovereign arrived I see the joy in life again. The light within me shines like a diamond mine. I take pleasure from the simple things in life. A sunrise. The reflection in a puddle. Birds singing. Insects scuttling along green leaves. The laughter of children. I have transcended this mortal coil.

Have you accepted Conrad Logan in to your life?

Liberal Hibby
10-07-2016, 10:03 AM
We still shipped lots of goals, of the same nature as before so no not really, semi apart I am not sure I saw Logan make any saves i wouldn't have expected Oxley or any competent keeper to.

Oxley isn't perfect but just happened to be last years boo boy following Liam Craig's departure.

It becomes a self perpetuating myth.

We don't need to look too far back to find it was Lewis's turn once and look how he turned out.

Oxley's as good as gone so it a moot point but for me Logan would have been no significant improvement.

Indeed. And having watched the cup final several hundred times I am still convinced Logan should have saved Miller's header. Oxley would have got to it. There I've said it.

heretoday
10-07-2016, 10:06 AM
Logan became a sort of talisman which was fine for that period.

New balls please!

Finn2015
10-07-2016, 10:07 AM
Indeed. And having watched the cup final several hundred times I am still convinced Logan should have saved Miller's header. Oxley would have got to it. There I've said it.

Lol the tin has been opened! Was a good header from Miller to be fair

staunchhibby
10-07-2016, 10:13 AM
Was a well placed header

Pretty Boy
10-07-2016, 10:14 AM
I've said elsewhere that I'm quite happy to wait for us to get the right keeper rather than rushing into a panic signing. Also I'm not at all worried that we are looking at young keepers who may have potential. Yes they will probably make mistakes due to inexperience but we might also unearth a bit of a gem. Signing an experienced goalkeeper on their way down the levels will probably lead to mistakes as well because at our level that's what you will get.

Both Oxley and Logan were decent for us but if Lennon believes we need better and thinks he can find someone then I'm happy to trust him.

SJM
10-07-2016, 10:19 AM

Oxley got to sod all. It was a fantastic header.

Jdawg
10-07-2016, 10:27 AM

No chance, it was a brilliantly attacked and bullet of a header. Oxley wouldn't have got to that whatsoever.

A world class keeper MIGHT have but maybe not.

NORTHERNHIBBY
10-07-2016, 11:13 AM

I have watched the cup final over and over again as well and we win it each time that I watch it.