PDA

View Full Version : Lennon in Paris

Seveno
09-07-2016, 12:37 PM
Am I the only one that is surprised that our Manager will be back in Paris tomorrow when we are playing an important friendly match against Motherwell prior to the Europa League game against Brondby? I appreciate that he may have a contract with BBC but, under the circumstances, I am sure that they would release him if asked. It is not like they are short on pundits and there is no Irish connection in the final.

Why the Motherwell match is being played on a Sunday beats me, in any case, but surely it could have been brought forward to today if Lennon really cannot get out of a prior obligation.

It seems to me that the manager is sending out a very bad signal to the players here and, indeed, the fans. Does Thursday not really matter ?

Big L
09-07-2016, 12:41 PM
Think your over reacting, it's a friendly, their are no imminent signings and he's surely seen enough of the squad to have formed an opinion bye now.

bod
09-07-2016, 12:50 PM
maybe gonna sign one of the finalists as their in la toonnel

Liam978
09-07-2016, 12:53 PM
Ok now my fellow Hibby's, we all have to pull in the same direction, in Lenny we trust,believe me he is calmness personified and knows through experience the why's and wherefores.

Hibby Bairn
09-07-2016, 12:56 PM
I agree with OP. Baffling.

Dunbar Hibee
09-07-2016, 01:00 PM
It is a bit strange tbh. Get the feeling that we aren't gonna be ready for Thursday. Hope I'm wrong. Brondby look a good side though.

sambajustice
09-07-2016, 01:00 PM
I don't understand what the palaver is.

Takes training in the morning or whatever they do on Sundays.

Afternoon flight to Paris.

Flys back either right after the match or first thing on Monday in time for Mondays training session...

Simples.

OsloHibs
09-07-2016, 01:01 PM
I think it's a strange thing. Hibs everytime it should be.

SJM
09-07-2016, 01:02 PM
Sending out all the wrong signals. He needs to show he gives a **** a little more.

Dashing Bob S
Sacre vert! You are for - ow you say - vetting ze bed a leetal?

SJM
I don't understand what the palaver is.

Takes training in the morning or whatever they do on Sundays.

Afternoon flight to Paris.

Flys back either right after the match or first thing on Monday in time for Mondays training session...

Simples.

He could tell the BBC to do one as he's other priorities?

Marco G
I agree with OP. Baffling.
I am not baffled! He is contracted to do this, signed long before he knew he would be manager of a team playing Motherwell in a friendly match! We do have his assistant present btw.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

B.H.F.C
09-07-2016, 01:04 PM
Perhaps he's just honouring a contract that he had signed before he signed one with us?

SJM
09-07-2016, 01:05 PM
I am not baffled! He is contracted to do this, signed long before he knew he would be manager of a team playing Motherwell in a friendly match! We do have his assistant present btw.

Do you think if he was contracted and Celtic offered him the manager role he would leave Slovenia to go and sit in a studio? No danger. And they don't have a match charged at over £20 on Thursday that he basically signals he doesn't really care about. The match should have been used to lay down a marker, get the fans behind the team and march into the start of the season. It's a massive match, we don't make Europe that often.

brog
09-07-2016, 01:06 PM
I'd prefer he was at ER but I can't get over excited at him missing a friendly game to fulfil an earlier contractual obligation!

Marco G
09-07-2016, 01:08 PM
Do you think if he was contracted and Celtic offered him the manager role he would leave Slovenia to go and sit in a studio? No danger. And they don't have a match charged at over £20 on Thursday that he basically signals he doesn't really care about. The match should have been used to lay down a marker, get the fans behind the team and march into the start of the season. It's a massive match, we don't make Europe that often.
That is your opinion. I dont agree and whehter or not we get through against Brondby wont depend on where Lennon is sitting on Sunday, imho.

Keith_M
09-07-2016, 01:09 PM
This has the whiff of the Butcher escapade...

:duck:

SJM
09-07-2016, 01:10 PM
That is your opinion. I dont agree and whehter or not we get through against Brondby wont depend on where Lennon is sitting on Sunday, imho.

Fair do's let's hope the side aren't all out getting smashed up town watching the final Because the manager thinks it's acceptable.

Again, do you think he would do the same if given the Celtic job?

SJM
09-07-2016, 01:11 PM
This has the whiff of the Butcher escapade...

:duck:

I was thinking more Calderwood.

Marco G
09-07-2016, 01:13 PM
Fair do's let's hope the side aren't all out getting smashed up town watching the final Because the manager thinks it's acceptable.

Your first sentence is not worth a response and does down our team and manager in one go! And your second sentence is not really worth thinking about either!

Jdawg
09-07-2016, 01:15 PM
He is flying to Paris for a few hours not Syndney.

Any signing targets will be progressed by CEO and player recruitment team.

Absolutely zero to worry about it even be the slightest bit concerned about.

SJM
09-07-2016, 01:17 PM
Your first sentence is not worth a response and does down our team and manager in one go! And your second sentence is not really worth thinking about either!

So that will be a no then 👍

Allant1981
09-07-2016, 01:17 PM

Where is the quote from lennon saying its acceptable to go "get smashed" watching a game of football. He had a contract which he is obliged to honour, just so happens we are playing a meaningless friendly the same day, your comments are actually getting worse and worse on this board

Bostonhibby
09-07-2016, 01:19 PM
He is flying to Paris for a few hours not Syndney.

Any signing targets will be progressed by CEO and player recruitment team.

Absolutely zero to worry about it even be the slightest bit concerned about.

I was over there last month, they have a working phone system in France and it was possible to stay in touch with the other people who were in charge of doing the other stuff back in the UK. :aok:

Jdawg
09-07-2016, 01:22 PM
I was over there last month, they have a working phone system in France and it was possible to stay in touch with the other people who were in charge of doing the other stuff back in the UK. :aok:

Groundbreaking, the next think you'll be telling me is they have the Internet, and laptops too. :)

Bostonhibby
09-07-2016, 01:24 PM
Groundbreaking, they next think you'll be telling me is the have the Internet, and laptops too. :)

Bloody French, they are bound to have spent some of our EU money on these new fangled contraptions.

SJM
09-07-2016, 01:25 PM
Where is the quote from lennon saying its acceptable to go "get smashed" watching a game of football. He had a contract which he is obliged to honour, just so happens we are playing a meaningless friendly the same day, your comments are actually getting worse and worse on this board

Yet you're guessing he had a contract to oblige? Where's his quotes on that?

Hibtastic
09-07-2016, 01:27 PM
This is laughable - Where is the harm in flying to Paris to honour a previous commitment which surely won't take too much time out of his schedule. Arsene Wenger is there just now with French TV for example so what's the problem.

I honestly believe some Hibs fans just look for any excuse to moan about something. They must be fun on nights out.

CapitalGreen
09-07-2016, 01:29 PM

Prove that he doesn't.

Allant1981
09-07-2016, 01:32 PM

Good come back! You seriously dont think he will have a contract with the bbc?

SJM
09-07-2016, 02:00 PM
Prove that he doesn't.

Why should I? I didn't claim he has.

SJM
09-07-2016, 02:01 PM
Good come back! You seriously dont think he will have a contract with the bbc?

No, I think all presenters will have a ad hoc contract.

Do you think he would be in Paris if he got the Celtic job and they where in Bratislava? No chance.

You said where are are quotes yet guessing your own point. Can't have it both ways chief.

HH81
09-07-2016, 02:04 PM
Tomorrow result means nothing. It is mostly about fitness. A lot of managers miss pre season games in England to go watch players in other games. An assistant is fine for this type of game. Relax everyone.

SJNB Hibby
09-07-2016, 02:07 PM
Why should I? I didn't claim he has.

I don't think the BBC just let anybody who's in town, wander into their studios and comment on matches.
Neither do they say, well let's see who might turn up----I'm guessing there is SOME kind of agreement in place, and he feels obliged to honour it

Allant1981
09-07-2016, 02:10 PM

Do you think he would be in Paris if he got the Celtic job and they where in Bratislava? No chance.

You said where are are quotes yet guessing your own point. Can't have it both ways chief.

It will have been sorted ages ago who has to be in the studio, and i dont care what he would be doing if he was celtic manager, he isnt, i see you still havent provided the quote so ill stick by what i said and say your posts are getting worse

Brightside
09-07-2016, 02:15 PM
Perhaps he's just honouring a contract that he had signed before he signed one with us?

Exactly...this place continues to stagger me. I wonder how some people make it out of the house most days with all the outrage in their lives. :greengrin

Brightside
09-07-2016, 02:16 PM

Neil lennon is contracted to appear. That is 100% certain. Get a grip laddie.

SJM
09-07-2016, 02:18 PM
It will have been sorted ages ago who has to be in the studio, and i dont care what he would be doing if he was celtic manager, he isnt, i see you still havent provided the quote so ill stick by what i said and say your posts are getting worse

No it wouldn't have been sorted ages ago, of England where in the final it would have been all English guys, same with Wales. Lennons a good pundit so has been asked back.

You claim it was sorted out ages ago and he's got a contract, where is the quotes on this?

Your opinion on my posts. You can quote that 👍

SJM
09-07-2016, 02:20 PM
Neil lennon is contracted to appear. That is 100% certain. Get a grip laddie.

So Slaven Bilic will be too? How can you be 100% certain?

I don't need to get a grip mate, I want a committed manager a few days before a massive match we don't even have a goalie for.

Allant1981
09-07-2016, 02:21 PM
No it wouldn't have been sorted ages ago, of England where in the final it would have been all English guys, same with Wales. Lennons a good pundit so has been asked back.

You claim it was sorted out ages ago and he's got a contract, where is the quotes on this?

Aye ok, away and spout rubbish somewhere else, think you will be on the ignore list now

Baldy Foghorn
09-07-2016, 02:26 PM

He is.....

CapitalGreen
09-07-2016, 02:26 PM

I don't need to get a grip mate, I want a committed manager a few days before a massive match we don't even have a goalie for.

We do have a goalie for it. Please provide quotes from Lennon stating we don't have a goalie for tha match against Brondby.

Brightside
09-07-2016, 02:27 PM

In his recent interview with Hibs.tv he said he would be in France as he was contracted to cover that game. Your constant digs at the club are very tiresome. Slaven also said he was going back to West Ham as HE was contracted for that.

Alfred E Newman
09-07-2016, 02:27 PM
It is a bit strange tbh. Get the feeling that we aren't gonna be ready for Thursday. Hope I'm wrong. Brondby look a good side though.

I get the feeling Lennon has written off the Brondby game. It is unlikely the team as it is at the moment will be up to the task and I would imagine he will be more geared to getting a side together by August 6.

CapitalGreen
09-07-2016, 02:28 PM
In his recent interview with Hibs.tv he said he would be in France as he was contracted to cover that game. Your constant digs at the club are very tiresome. Slaven also said he was going back to West Ham as HE was contracted for that.

He's still raging cause he made a total Noel Hunt of himself telling all and sundry that Stuart McCall was a done deal as next Hibs manager 😂

SJM
09-07-2016, 02:31 PM
We do have a goalie for it. Please provide quotes from Lennon stating we don't have a goalie for tha match against Brondby.

There's quotes saying our understudy that we brought Logan in for ahead of him will start on Thursday. That good enough?

SJM
09-07-2016, 02:32 PM
He's still raging cause he made a total Noel Hunt of himself telling all and sundry that Stuart McCall was a done deal as next Hibs manager 😂

Totally ragin' likes. What about when I said that Stubbs was definitely off and Jordon would be back this season when he leaves. Selective memory perhaps?

brog
09-07-2016, 02:32 PM

Never let the facts get in the way for certain posters to talk Tom Kite! As you said earlier, the amount of outrage over minor matters is staggering & worrying.

SuperAllyMcleod
09-07-2016, 02:33 PM
I thought he was working for Irish TV with Martin O'Neil? I can't really see the BBC using him for this game when they will use their 'top' pundits.

That said, I've no worries with him missing a friendly - I intend to miss them all. These are nothing more than glorified training sessions and the fans should be let in free.

SJM
09-07-2016, 02:35 PM

So Bilic is concentrating on his club and our manager isn't and nobody is to say a word? Constant digs for being concerned? When things are good I'll say when something is worrying that too. Better than constant head in the sand and belittling others that worry. Last concern I had was our side was on a slide and wouldn't go up - it happened. We won the cup though so I don't give a **** but than and Oxley being pap (that both managers agree with) is the only digs I've given. Hardly constant.

Broken Gnome
09-07-2016, 02:40 PM
What channel is he appearing on?

Anyone actually arguing that it wouldn't be much the better scenario for our new manager to actually be there at our first home game this season?

Finn2015
09-07-2016, 02:41 PM
It is what it is I guess. If Lennon subscribes to hibs tv maybe he can watch 😂

Brightside
09-07-2016, 02:41 PM
So Bilic is concentrating on his club and our manager isn't and nobody is to say a word? Constant digs for being concerned? When things are good I'll say when something is worrying that too. Better than constant head in the sand and belittling others that worry. Last concern I had was our side was on a slide and wouldn't go up - it happened. We won the cup though so I don't give a **** but than and Oxley being pap (that both managers agree with) is the only digs I've given. Hardly constant.

Pay attention. Lennon signed a contract with BBC PRIOR to signing for HIBS. Therefore he is committed to that. Bilic (who was already the manager of West Ham - note the difference) has a contract for the first few rounds only.

It really is that simple. If you like we could perhaps create a Venn diagram to make it easier for you to understand.

lucky
09-07-2016, 02:43 PM
When was the the last time a Hibs manager was deemed suitable or media savvy to give his views to the UK wide audience watching a major football final on TV? This is good PR for Hibs and shows people value his opinion. Off those criticising him for not going on Sunday are you's going to this pre season friendly ?

CapitalGreen
09-07-2016, 02:43 PM
There's quotes saying our understudy that we brought Logan in for ahead of him will start on Thursday. That good enough?

At some point an understudy becomes number 1. Vitranen has 65 top flight appearances for his previous club.

SanFranHibs
09-07-2016, 02:44 PM
This is laughable - Where is the harm in flying to Paris to honour a previous commitment which surely won't take too much time out of his schedule. Arsene Wenger is there just now with French TV for example so what's the problem.

I honestly believe some Hibs fans just look for any excuse to moan about something. They must be fun on nights out.

Agreed !!

What do people think he should be doing on Sunday afternoon/evening whilst every other football fan is watching the European Championship final? Running round Arthurs Seat with the squad?

I am sure if he had just come out and said that on Sunday afternoon he would be watching the game on T.V., at home, there would be some on here he should be watching video of Hibs opponents to help plan his strategy and not wasting his time watching a game that is meaningless to Hibs.

CapitalGreen
09-07-2016, 02:45 PM
Totally ragin' likes. What about when I said that Stubbs was definitely off and Jordon would be back this season when he leaves. Selective memory perhaps?

Well that sure convinced me you're not ragin 👌

Baldy Foghorn
09-07-2016, 02:46 PM
When was the the last time a Hibs manager was deemed suitable or media savvy to give his views to the UK wide audience watching a major football final on TV? This is good PR for Hibs and shows people value his opinion. Off those criticising him for not going on Sunday are you's going to this pre season friendly ?

:agree::agree:

SJM
09-07-2016, 02:49 PM
Pay attention. Lennon signed a contract with BBC PRIOR to signing for HIBS. Therefore he is committed to that. Bilic (who was already the manager of West Ham - note the difference) has a contract for the first few rounds only.

It really is that simple. If you like we could perhaps create a Venn diagram to make it easier for you to understand.

Cool, can you point me in the direction of clarification of this please instead of cheap shots and widey snide remarks please?

Also, you didn't answer, if he was given the Celtic job after his work on the telly began do you think he would be in a TV studio tomorrow instead of the Celtic match? Who is his contract with also? What would he lose from not attending?

It seems he's keeping his stock high down south and with the Irish by attending rather than concentrating on his job as manager. Nobody on here saying it doesn't matter tomorrow, or Thursday will be on complaining about attendances at both either I'm sure you will agree.

WoreTheGreen
09-07-2016, 02:49 PM
:agree::agree:

Our famous gardener. That erse Butcher

SJM
09-07-2016, 02:50 PM
Well that sure convinced me you're not ragin 👌

My only concern is the shape of our team. I couldn't give a toots about anything else bud.

SJM
09-07-2016, 02:51 PM
At some point an understudy becomes number 1. Vitranen has 65 top flight appearances for his previous club.

Fair enough. Let's see if we bring in another goalie to be number one after Brondby.

Big L
09-07-2016, 02:55 PM

This! NL wasn"t my first choice! But now he is with us we need to be seen to be given him all our support not starting stupid threads like this one.

Brightside
09-07-2016, 02:56 PM
Cool, can you point me in the direction of clarification of this please instead of cheap shots and widey snide remarks please?

Also, you didn't answer, if he was given the Celtic job after his work on the telly began do you think he would be in a TV studio tomorrow instead of the Celtic match? Who is his contract with also? What would he lose from not attending?

It seems he's keeping his stock high down south and with the Irish by attending rather than concentrating on his job as manager. Nobody on here saying it doesn't matter tomorrow, or Thursday will be on complaining about attendances at both either I'm sure you will agree.

I give up now....i thought you were just acting stupid now I'm not so sure.

SanFranHibs
09-07-2016, 03:00 PM
He's still raging cause he made a total Noel Hunt of himself telling all and sundry that Stuart McCall was a done deal as next Hibs manager 

Could still be true :greengrin

SanFranHibs
09-07-2016, 03:05 PM

If we had managed to lure Ferguson from Man Utd there would be a few on here moaning if he showed Hibs the ultimate disrespect by going to watch his horses run at Ascot or Epsom....or heaven forbid Longchamp!!!

Waxy
09-07-2016, 03:05 PM
If he signed a contract for the tv work before he took the job with us, there's nothing strange about it.Next.

NORTHERNHIBBY
09-07-2016, 03:13 PM
If he signed a contract for the tv work before he took the job with us, there's nothing strange about it.Next.

This.

When the discussion about him being our Manager started if there was a problem with his TV commitments he would either have dropped them or if they were so important to him he would not have taken the job.

SJM
09-07-2016, 03:14 PM
I give up now....i thought you were just acting stupid now I'm not so sure.

So you're not going to point me in the direction of conclusive proof he's under contract by some TV company nor answer my Celtic question. Fair enough. I'll take that as guesswork then and be a little annoyed our manager isn't at our first home match of the season 4 days prior to a massive European tie to keep himself in the spotlight down south.

Keyser Sauzee
09-07-2016, 03:21 PM
So you're not going to point me in the direction of conclusive proof he's under contract by some TV company nor answer my Celtic question. Fair enough. I'll take that as guesswork then and be a little annoyed our manager isn't at our first home match of the season 4 days prior to a massive European tie to keep himself in the spotlight down south.

Look, he's not going to be at the game tomorrow. Move on

Brightside
09-07-2016, 03:23 PM

STOP TALKING PISH. Are you saying that Lennon is lying?

--------
09-07-2016, 03:27 PM
For crying out loud. The season hasn't started and the knives are out for the manager.

This MUST be a record. :bitchy:

Heisenberg
09-07-2016, 03:29 PM
SJM loves a fight over nothing. Causes a riot on here every day. KT is a **** btw.

Jonnyboy
09-07-2016, 03:32 PM

Do you have conclusive proof that he doesn't? And your question re Celtic is not one that anyone can answer, including you because it is based on conjecture not fact

--------
09-07-2016, 03:35 PM
Do you have conclusive proof that he doesn't? And your question re Celtic is not one that anyone can answer, including you because it is based on conjecture not fact

I'm not sure that rational argument's the way to go here, John.

With threads like this one, I'm inclined to think exorcism's the only answer ....

Baldy Foghorn
09-07-2016, 03:36 PM

It's a friendly, a fitness exercise....

bingo70
09-07-2016, 03:37 PM
Lennon got the job probably around a month ago, with that much notice I'm sure the BBC could have found somebody else for tomorrow.

It's hardly a sackable offence and in the bigger scheme of things I'm sure it won't be that big a deal but short term I think he should be at the Hibs game tomorrow.

I mentioned it on another thread that I had a few concerns about it and somebody made the point if he was to learn one thing about one player tomorrow then it's worthwhile him being at the game and I agree with that.

If we're not prepared for Thursday, we should be doing our utmost to get them prepared and that includes the manager knowing all he can about all our players.

staunchhibby
09-07-2016, 03:38 PM
Seems Lennon is new scapegoat.Takes the heat of ox for a bit.Getting fed up with all the crap flying about:

bingo70
09-07-2016, 03:40 PM
Seems Lennon is new scapegoat.Takes the heat of ox for a bit.Getting fed up with all the crap flying about:

FFS this thread has really annoyed me, if you've got an opinion on Hibs that might not be blind faith and have an opinion that differs from Hibs then you're getting called all sorts.

Happy clappers vs bed wetters all over again

Baldy Foghorn
09-07-2016, 03:42 PM
FFS this thread has really annoyed me, if you've got an opinion on Hibs that might not be blind faith and have an opinion that differs from Hibs then you're getting called all sorts.

Any need?

bingo70
09-07-2016, 03:44 PM
Any need?

Any need in what? I'm not calling anybody anything, I'm just saying people are being chastised for having an opinion and I think that's wrong.

Wee Effen Bee
Think I will start a thread saying how disappointed I am that Lennon doesn't have a Hibs duvet on his bed and can't name the Cup winning side of 1902. :confused: There are a load of sad and lonely people on this site who must get an erection every time they find something to nit-pick about. There is no conflict of interest here, get over it.

Baldy Foghorn
Any need in what? I'm not calling anybody anything, I'm just saying people are being chastised for having an opinion and I think that's wrong.

Thought we were done with tagging groups.....

Baldy Foghorn
09-07-2016, 03:47 PM
He obviously trusts his staff, and GP will report back on the match, as well as NL probably watching a live stream.....(Or at least seeing a recording)

Pretty Boy
If Lennon gets us back into the Premiership he can spend every day in Timbuktu for all I care.

Mountain out of a molehole as John McGlynn would say.

Saturday Boy
I'm not sure that rational argument's the way to go here, John.

With threads like this one, I'm inclined to think exorcism's the only answer ....

I think I'll trust your professional judgement on that one :wink:

Do you charge a fixed rate or is there some sort of sliding scale for re-possessions?

Baldy Foghorn
09-07-2016, 03:48 PM
If Lennon gets us back into the Premiership he can spend every day in Timbuktu for all I care.

Mountain out of a molehole as John McGlynn would say.

:agree:

bingo70
09-07-2016, 03:51 PM
Thought we were done with tagging groups.....

That's my point, it feels like if you've got an opinion that could be deemed slightly negative rather than the point being debated it's just being dismissed.

I am delighted we got Lennon and I think we'll have a good season under him however IMO he should absolutely be here tomorrow and as soon as he got the Hibs job he should have asked to be excused from his BBC contract for the final. The Northern Ireland games were fine as that was before our pre-season started but as soon as it did then Hibs should be his sole focus IMO.

If he'd got the Celtic job I'm not convinced he'd have missed the last Celtic friendly before a European match to be a tv pundit and that bothers me a bit.

--------
09-07-2016, 03:51 PM
I think I'll trust your professional judgement on that one :wink:

Do you charge a fixed rate or is there some sort of sliding scale for re-possessions?

To exorcise the demons Nit-Pick, Whinge, and Scapegoat from the ER support?

Not enough money in the world, old son.

I'd rather have a go at world peace ... :rolleyes:

Borderhibbie76
09-07-2016, 03:56 PM

Any excuse and you jump on it to put our club, players, fellow fans etc. He is missing a meaningless friendly - who cares??

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

southern hibby
09-07-2016, 04:00 PM
Heard he's signed up to Hibs TV ( rods made him pay for it too, no Freebies). Not hard to watch game on Sunday against Motherwellphone with Subs etc. or watch game Monday/ Tuesday and asses team etc from that.

Yes better if he was here however he's not and contracted to do a job. Not sure if Celtic would have got him out of contract or not however were no Celtic and knew his situation before we signed him.

GGTTH

bingo70
09-07-2016, 04:01 PM
Any excuse and you jump on it to put our club, players, fellow fans etc. He is missing a meaningless friendly - who cares??

Some disagree it's meaningless.

First priority is fitness but there's also things that managers can learn about players from these games, especially managers that have only seen them play once or twice before (as their manager)

Borderhibbie76
09-07-2016, 04:06 PM
Some disagree it's meaningless.

First priority is fitness but there's also things that managers can learn about players from these games, especially managers that have only seen them play once or twice before (as their manager)
I think most of us are realistic enough to say the getting past Brondby is unlikely so we will have other games prior to 6th August...our manager missing a friendly and being out the country for a few hours is not a big deal imo

bingo70
09-07-2016, 04:11 PM
I think most of us are realistic enough to say the getting past Brondby is unlikely so we will have other games prior to 6th August...our manager missing a friendly and being out the country for a few hours is not a big deal imo

I think it's unlikely if the players are getting that message. Obviously nobody will be telling them that directly but I'm a bit concerned that's the attitude at the club about Thursday.

Teams compete all year to try to get into Europe then when we do we don't give it our all as it's unlikely we'll win anyway? I find that attitude bizarre tbh.

Seveno
09-07-2016, 04:13 PM

Personally, I am usually very positive about my club and I do not insult people who wish to raise a point of concern. I merely think that he should be at ER watching his players before deciding his team and tactics before an important match.

Seveno
09-07-2016, 04:20 PM

Yes, it seems that reasonable debate and discussion are not allowed on a Discussion Forum. I don't expect everyone to agree with me but it is rather sad that some cannot put forward their viewpoint without insulting someone that loves the Club as much as them.

Bostonhibby
09-07-2016, 04:25 PM
The BBC are a public body who will have service / supplier arrangements with all manner of companies and people for innumerable services. I doubt they'd either just say come along at our expense if you fancy it so there will be something in place to ensure whoever they get to do a job or supply a service does it.

I then doubt they just hand over bank notes on the day so there's got to be a contract of sorts for payment and for public scrutiny.

Aside from all that there's honouring your word and not welching on a commitment. Very Hibernian like tradition so I have no problem with the idea that someone honours a prior undertaking and it seems likely the people who run Hibernian now saw this as a non issue in the grander scheme of things.

silverhibee
09-07-2016, 04:27 PM
Is he definitely on the BBC panel for tomorrow nights game.?

I thought they would have had Shearer Ferdinand and the guy who played for Arsenal or the sensible wee guy who's name escapes me, "Danny" maybe, with Lineker hosting the show. :greengrin

bingo70
09-07-2016, 04:28 PM
The BBC are a public body who will have service / supplier arrangements with all manner of companies and people for innumerable services. I doubt they'd either just say come along at our expense if you fancy it so there will be something in place to ensure whoever they get to do a job or supply a service does it.

I then doubt they just hand over bank notes on the day so there's got to be a contract of sorts for payment and for public scrutiny.

Aside from all that there's honouring your word and not welching on a commitment. Very Hibernian like tradition so I have no problem with the idea that someone honours a prior undertaking and it seems likely the people who run Hibernian now saw this as a non issue in the grander scheme of things.

I think that's all well and good if Lennon got the Hibs job a week ago but they would have had plenty notice to find someone else if needed.

Nevi_SOL
09-07-2016, 04:32 PM
Is he definitely on the BBC panel for tomorrow nights game.?

I thought they would have had Shearer Ferdinand and the guy who played for Arsenal or the sensible wee guy who's name escapes me, "Danny" maybe, with Lineker hosting the show. :greengrin

Ian Wright and Danny Murphy

Allant1981
09-07-2016, 04:37 PM

Think ian wright has been on itv through the competition, although ive not seen many of the games so probably talking rubbish

Bostonhibby
09-07-2016, 04:37 PM
I think that's all well and good if Lennon got the Hibs job a week ago but they would have had plenty notice to find someone else if needed.
Fair comment and I agree.

I was looking solely at the earlier point of whether the beeb would have had a contract for these arrangements or not. If they did maybe they just didn't want to release him or he wanted to honour it.

Sir David Gray
09-07-2016, 04:39 PM
He should be at Easter Road tomorrow IMO.

I appreciate his BBC deal would have been done prior to becoming our manager but he is our manager now and we ought to come first, friendly or not.

Allant1981
09-07-2016, 04:40 PM

It would probably have cost him a lot of money missing the game, rightly or wrongly thats what these guys are bothered about in my opinion

BH Hibs
09-07-2016, 04:42 PM
I think it's unlikely if the players are getting that message. Obviously nobody will be telling them that directly but I'm a bit concerned that's the attitude at the club about Thursday.

Teams compete all year to try to get into Europe then when we do we don't give it our all as it's unlikely we'll win anyway? I find that attitude bizarre tbh.

Unfortunately Lennon said as much in his first interview on taking the job. He said there's no way we would be ready for the tie and as much as we don't like it or feel differently I believe he is using the two ties as friendly matches in preparation for the season ahead.

tamig
09-07-2016, 04:43 PM
Am I the only one that is surprised that our Manager will be back in Paris tomorrow when we are playing an important friendly match against Motherwell prior to the Europa League game against Brondby? I appreciate that he may have a contract with BBC but, under the circumstances, I am sure that they would release him if asked. It is not like they are short on pundits and there is no Irish connection in the final.

Why the Motherwell match is being played on a Sunday beats me, in any case, but surely it could have been brought forward to today if Lennon really cannot get out of a prior obligation.

It seems to me that the manager is sending out a very bad signal to the players here and, indeed, the fans. Does Thursday not really matter ?

Think you are being a bit unrealistic. I'm sure Lennon's BBC commitments would have been discussed during the recruitment process and an amicable arrangement was reached. If Leeann is happy, that's good enough for me.

silverhibee
09-07-2016, 04:53 PM

That's the one. :thumbsup:

oconnors_strip
09-07-2016, 04:55 PM

I've emailed and tweeted the bbc to ask them for a copy of the contract Neil signed for his media work during the euros, will post it when I receive it :wink:

SeanWilson
09-07-2016, 04:58 PM

The fact his earnings are being subsidised by the BBC this year likely played a part in us landing him IMO

Makalambay
09-07-2016, 05:08 PM
Dont think he's on the BBC chaps, looks like Irish TV.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cm2VbfpWgAAyAPI.jpg:large

tamig
09-07-2016, 05:09 PM
Can I just ask why you think it's a "massive European tie"? It's a competitive pre-season friendly imo and is far from our most important game over the next few weeks.

lord bunberry
09-07-2016, 05:18 PM
Heard he's signed up to Hibs TV ( rods made him pay for it too, no Freebies). Not hard to watch game on Sunday against Motherwellphone with Subs etc. or watch game Monday/ Tuesday and asses team etc from that.

Yes better if he was here however he's not and contracted to do a job. Not sure if Celtic would have got him out of contract or not however were no Celtic and knew his situation before we signed him.

GGTTH
Is it on hibs tv? Sorry to change the subject

CropleyWasGod
09-07-2016, 05:21 PM
Lennon's going to be raging if he's signed up for it, and it's not.....

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

SuperAllyMcleod
09-07-2016, 05:38 PM
Think ian wright has been on itv through the competition, although ive not seen many of the games so probably talking rubbish

You're correct, Ian Wright has been talking rubbish. Marginally behind Hoddle in that race.

lord bunberry
09-07-2016, 05:58 PM
Lennon's going to be raging if he's signed up for it, and it's not.....

He'll be on here in the morning

SJM
09-07-2016, 06:19 PM
That's my point, it feels like if you've got an opinion that could be deemed slightly negative rather than the point being debated it's just being dismissed.

I am delighted we got Lennon and I think we'll have a good season under him however IMO he should absolutely be here tomorrow and as soon as he got the Hibs job he should have asked to be excused from his BBC contract for the final. The Northern Ireland games were fine as that was before our pre-season started but as soon as it did then Hibs should be his sole focus IMO.

If he'd got the Celtic job I'm not convinced he'd have missed the last Celtic friendly before a European match to be a tv pundit and that bothers me a bit.

100% correct. But I'm just troublemaking for being concerned.

SJM
09-07-2016, 06:20 PM

Name a couple of other things I jump on the club about then cheers. The floor is yours....

Borderhibbie76
09-07-2016, 06:22 PM
Name a couple of other things I jump on the club about then cheers. The floor is yours....
I don't have the time or the inclination SJM suffice to say u err on the negative side of things and let's leave it there

SJM
09-07-2016, 06:23 PM
I've emailed and tweeted the bbc to ask them for a copy of the contract Neil signed for his media work during the euros, will post it when I receive it :wink:

Cheers Nikki! 👍

SJM
09-07-2016, 06:23 PM
I don't have the time or the inclination SJM suffice to say u err on the negative side of things and let's leave it there

So you're talking Pish then?

Borderhibbie76
09-07-2016, 06:24 PM
Clearly not...doesn't look like I'm the only one who disagrees with your lack of optimism surrounding our club ...as for a personal war of words with u on this and other threads...I'm out so crack on

GreenLake
09-07-2016, 06:26 PM
I hope he enjoys the trip and does some good networking. We could use a couple of young French players on loan.

Pedantic_Hibee
09-07-2016, 06:29 PM
Do the season tickets count for tomorrow's game?

Scouse Hibee
09-07-2016, 06:31 PM
I couldn't really give a toss about the Euro tie, the only thing that matters this season is the league and getting promoted.Of course decent results in cup ties can contribute to that winning mentality but the Euro league would just be too much for us to deal with in my opinion. Lennon has club permission to miss the Motherwell game so no big deal to me either.

Scouse Hibee

No

scoopyboy

Same as my Tranent Juniors season being valid for the Auchinleck game mate. :greengrin

Tobias Funke
09-07-2016, 06:32 PM

Irony detector has just gone into meltdown with this one.

The_Exile
09-07-2016, 06:44 PM
Lennon in Paris?!!! I'll see him swing from the highest yardarm in Titan Docking Port for this days work.

SJM
09-07-2016, 07:48 PM
Clearly not...doesn't look like I'm the only one who disagrees with your lack of optimism surrounding our club ...as for a personal war of words with u on this and other threads...I'm out so crack on

Lack of optimism? What are you on about? Because I'm not blinkerenly agreeing with everything the club or staff are doing? It's wrong IMO Lennon is on Irish telly when we have a match, it's not sending the right message. People makin up he's contracted to it and shooting down others for thinking that it's not right are the problem. I'm very optimistic about the coming season but if there's something I don't like I will say. That's what a football forum is for, it's not for making friends or being liked and it's also not for bullying folk that don't share opinions. There's nothing constant about my negativity, I asked you to name a couple of other examples, you can't so you are clearly making it up.

InterviewLoI
09-07-2016, 07:54 PM
Is he on Irish TV or BBC? If its TV3 then he won't even be in France he'll be in the Dublin studio

SJM
09-07-2016, 07:56 PM
Can I just ask why you think it's a "massive European tie"? It's a competitive pre-season friendly imo and is far from our most important game over the next few weeks.

We don't make Europe every year. It's what most teams in the country at all year to try and achieve.

bingo70
09-07-2016, 08:03 PM
Is he on Irish TV or BBC? If its TV3 then he won't even be in France he'll be in the Dublin studio

I don't think anyone cares what country he's in, it's the fact he's missing the Hibs game that I, and others, think is wrong.

silverhibee
09-07-2016, 08:04 PM

TV3.

So I presume Lennon won't be in France then.

Jonnyboy
09-07-2016, 08:12 PM
Lack of optimism? What are you on about? Because I'm not blinkerenly agreeing with everything the club or staff are doing? It's wrong IMO Lennon is on Irish telly when we have a match, it's not sending the right message. People makin up he's contracted to it and shooting down others for thinking that it's not right are the problem. I'm very optimistic about the coming season but if there's something I don't like I will say. That's what a football forum is for, it's not for making friends or being liked and it's also not for bullying folk that don't share opinions. There's nothing constant about my negativity, I asked you to name a couple of other examples, you can't so you are clearly making it up.

Nobody is making this up. As as been pointed out to you by several posters, Lennon himself said he is contracted. To imply otherwise is to imply you think Lennon is lying

Allant1981
09-07-2016, 08:18 PM
Nobody is making this up. As as been pointed out to you by several posters, Lennon himself said he is contracted. To imply otherwise is to imply you think Lennon is lying

Its not even worth replying to him now

Highland_Hibee
09-07-2016, 08:23 PM
Pretty sure we will see plenty of what folk can perceive as commitment when the Scottish campaign gets under way. The way I look at it the Europa League is just a few extra pre-season friendlies. We can't compete in it but we can compete on all domestic fronts. How do you know Lennon isn't busy playing back every match we played last season when he isn't commentating?

tamig
09-07-2016, 08:24 PM
We don't make Europe every year. It's what most teams in the country at all year to try and achieve.

Agreed but we got there as a bonus for winning the cup effectively. I don't think too many folk are expecting much from this tie other than a couple of nights in Copenhagen. Promotion is key and while a run in Europe would be nice, it won't be the end of the world if we fall at the first hurdle this time. In that context I think "massive" is overstating the importance of this game

You've also mentioned the phrase "sending out the wrong message" a couple of times? Sending it out to who exactly? I don't think it's sending out a wrong message at all. And like I said earlier, if it's fine for Leeann then I'm ok with that. You continue to moan if you like though.

southern hibby
09-07-2016, 08:28 PM

Really haven't got a clue was being sarcastic........

GGTTH

hibbypostie
09-07-2016, 08:29 PM
wow 5 pages :confused:

bingo70
09-07-2016, 08:30 PM
Pretty sure we will see plenty of what folk can perceive as commitment when the Scottish campaign gets under way. The way I look at it the Europa League is just a few extra pre-season friendlies. We can't compete in it but we can compete on all domestic fronts. How do you know Lennon isn't busy playing back every match we played last season when he isn't commentating?

Cos he's on Twitter telling us what he's doing the rest of the time.

Sorry, that's probably harsh and makes me sound like I don't want him. I was very impressed when we appointed him and I still think he'll do well, there's a few early alarm bells ringing for me though. Hopefully they're put to bed after a good start to the season though.

bingo70
09-07-2016, 08:35 PM
Agreed but we got there as a bonus for winning the cup effectively. I don't think too many folk are expecting much from this tie other than a couple of nights in Copenhagen. Promotion is key and while a run in Europe would be nice, it won't be the end of the world if we fall at the first hurdle this time. In that context I think "massive" is overstating the importance of this game

You've also mentioned the phrase "sending out the wrong message" a couple of times? Sending it out to who exactly? I don't think it's sending out a wrong message at all. And like I said earlier, if it's fine for Leeann then I'm ok with that. You continue to moan if you like though.

I've mentioned that a couple of times and the only thing I can relate it to is when I worked for a company and somebody who I respected and thought would be great was transferred to be my boss, it quickly became apparent though that he didn't want to be there and I personally found that he wasn't 100% committed demotivating. Now I'm not saying that's what the players will be thinking but if we get pumped on Thursday I hope those thoughts don't start to enter the players heads.

tamig
09-07-2016, 08:35 PM
Cos he's on Twitter telling us what he's doing the rest of the time.

Sorry, that's probably harsh and makes me sound like I don't want him. I was very impressed when we appointed him and I still think he'll do well, there's a few early alarm bells ringing for me though. Hopefully they're put to bed after a good start to the season though.
What early alarm bells are ringing for you?

stantonhibby
09-07-2016, 08:44 PM
I've mentioned that a couple of times and the only thing I can relate it to is when I worked for a company and somebody who I respected and thought would be great was transferred to be my boss, it quickly became apparent though that he didn't want to be there and I personally found that he wasn't 100% committed demotivating. Now I'm not saying that's what the players will be thinking but if we get pumped on Thursday I hope those thoughts don't start to enter the players heads.

So you keep saying

bingo70
09-07-2016, 08:46 PM
What early alarm bells are ringing for you?

Small things that I'd rather not go into great detail about as I don't want it to sound like I'm wanting him out already when that's clearly not the case.

A balls not even been kicked yet so any negative thoughts i have don't really mean anything as they'll soon dissapear if we start the season well.

One thing I would say though is look at what Ray McKinnon has been doing with Dundee Utd over the summer, he's been visiting fans, attending Q&A's, meetings with fans groups amongst other things, he's been totally immersing (sorry, sure that's no the right spelling?) himself in their club and clearly has a point to prove there, now I appreciate he's got a bigger job to do there but that's the sort of commitment I look from with a manager, not one that doesn't attend our games so he can be a pundit.

bingo70
09-07-2016, 08:46 PM
So you keep saying

That's literally the first time I've said that.

Brightside
09-07-2016, 08:52 PM
Small things that I'd rather not go into great detail about as I don't want it to sound like I'm wanting him out already when that's clearly not the case.

A balls not even been kicked yet so any negative thoughts i have don't really mean anything as they'll soon dissapear if we start the season well.

One thing I would say though is look at what Ray McKinnon has been doing with Dundee Utd over the summer, he's been visiting fans, attending Q&A's, meetings with fans groups amongst other things, he's been totally immersing (sorry, sure that's no the right spelling?) himself in their club and clearly has a point to prove there, now I appreciate he's got a bigger job to do there but that's the sort of commitment I look from with a manager, not one that doesn't attend our games so he can be a pundit.
Because Utd are in deep ****. He's doing what we went through 2 years ago. This whole thread is madness.

Baldy Foghorn
09-07-2016, 08:54 PM

Do you think Cummings signing started by JC saying, you better be here after Euro Final, or I'll be off :greengrin

stantonhibby
09-07-2016, 08:55 PM
That's literally the first time I've said that.

OK.....I must have imagined all your other post nit picking about Lennon

Marco G
09-07-2016, 09:01 PM

Hw can you say we wont give it our all based on what Neil Lennon has said? Realistically he has said we are against good opponents and he would have liked us to have had more matches under our belt. That is a bit different imo.

SJM
09-07-2016, 09:34 PM
OK.....I must have imagined all your other post nit picking about Lennon

Show them then. Or a bit like the ones saying I constantly have a go at the club it's Pish.

Lennon is contracted by Irish telly but was on the bbc when needed but can't be at our him match, our first match when needed as manager? Aye sound. People disagree and they get hounded. Again, if this was Celtic he wouldn't be in Ireland presenting he would be making sure very single thing is in place for our friendly. Imagine he got the Celtic gig and Celtic where playing at parkhead - you can't or anyone can't seriously say he would dingy it to present in a studio. No danger.

marinello59
09-07-2016, 09:39 PM
Show them then. Or a bit like the ones saying I constantly have a go at the club it's Pish.

Lennon is contracted by Irish telly but was on the bbc when needed but can't be at our him match, our first match when needed as manager? Aye sound. People disagree and they get hounded. Again, if this was Celtic he wouldn't be in Ireland presenting he would be making sure very single thing is in place for our friendly. Imagine he got the Celtic gig and Celtic where playing at parkhead - you can't or anyone can't seriously say he would dingy it to present in a studio. No danger.

The Motherwell game is a training session, nothing more. No real need for him to be there.

Jdawg
09-07-2016, 09:44 PM

Visiting fans was part of their strip release with the sponsors.

He has a full rebuilding job to do.

We only need 3-4 players (Ish). We also have a fully operational training centre, coaching and player recruitment team and a ceo.

We also have pc's, mobiles, etc Lennon in Paris a few hours away not deep in the Amazon rainforest.

Lennon will have laid out the team, subs, tactics, full game will be review and all the player data.

This entire thread is absolutely pointless. Time to close it.

Broken Gnome
09-07-2016, 09:44 PM
The Motherwell game is a training session, nothing more. No real need for him to be there.

Would it not be beneficial at all for players to get used to playing in front of him? For Lennon to see how players react to him? For him to take a home bow, boost the gate, get an element of excitement about it?

Being contracted to be elsewhere is all well and good, fair enough. The argument that he doesn't need to be there doesn't wash though. He's the new manager, we're coming off the back of a major event and have a European game on Thursday. There's a bit of a duty of care and responsibility here no? Why should anyone bother going tomorrow if the manager doesn't?

You'd almost think we hadn't lost out last European game 7-0 such is our seeming disdain for this one.

Baldy Foghorn
09-07-2016, 09:46 PM
Would it not be beneficial at all for players to get used to playing in front of him? For Lennon to see how players react to him? For him to take a home bow, boost the gate, get an element of excitement about it?

Being contracted to be elsewhere is all well and good, fair enough. The argument that he doesn't need to be there doesn't wash though. He's the new manager, we're coming off the back of a major event and have a European game on Thursday. There's a bit of a duty of care and responsibility here no? Why should anyone bother going tomorrow if the manager doesn't?

You'd almost think we hadn't lost out last European game 7-0 such is our seeming disdain for this one.

What better way than to take your bow, before a European home tie?

marinello59
09-07-2016, 09:48 PM

Why should anybody bother going tomorrow?
Good point, I'd play these bounce games behind closed doors. They really are totally meaningless.

Jdawg
09-07-2016, 09:48 PM

Wish Fenlon went away 7 days before our tie against Malmö but didn't actually come back for it and just stayed away.

Broken Gnome
09-07-2016, 09:54 PM
What better way than to take your bow, before a European home tie?

If stage-managing is more important, fair enough.

Who is in the dugout tomorrow, Parker and Combe? That it?

Baldy Foghorn
09-07-2016, 10:06 PM
If stage-managing is more important, fair enough.

Who is in the dugout tomorrow, Parker and Combe? That it?

Do you really think NL won't see the match?

Broken Gnome
09-07-2016, 10:11 PM
Do you really think NL won't see the match?

I'm sure he will, and I don't doubt he'd be given feedback on every single thing that happens.

I just can't see how it wouldn't be better that he was there. It might only be a friendly against Motherwell, but where's the benefit in him not actively managing what is still a relative group of strangers?

It's not a hysterical 'he doesn't give a ****' reaction, but it's still less than ideal and not quite worthy of such a blade attitude to it all.

Forza Fred
09-07-2016, 10:13 PM
We can put any spin on it we like, but the absence of a newly appointed manager from a pre season game a week before its first competitive match IS a big deal.

It is less than a positive move.

Scouse Hibee
09-07-2016, 10:16 PM
Lennon out if we win without him :-)

MWHIBBIES
09-07-2016, 10:19 PM
If he learns 1 thing about 1 player it was worth him being there. I think he is wrong here, Hibs should come first.

--------
09-07-2016, 10:20 PM
If it were the 1970's and it was Ned Turnbull we were talking about, or a manager functioning as Ned did - the GUY WHO RAN THE TEAM - I would share the concern. But times and ways have changed.

Neil Lennon isn't THE MANAGER, he's head coach, with a team of coaches working with him who are well able to look after things in his absence.

The idea that somehow the players won't 'get the message' if Neil isn't jumping up and down from dugout to touchline yelling instructions and getting in the Motherwell crew's faces to me doesn't make sense. There will be plenty people around to run things, and Neil can surely fulfill his obligations to the media on Sunday without damaging our preparations for the coming season.

Leeann is fulfilling some of the former functions of the club manager; the assistant coaches are fulfilling others, and Neil Lennon will be well able to assess the way the team plays and work towards the Brondby game when he comes back on Monday.

This situation would have been thoroughly discussed before he was offered or took the job, and the board and Leeann in particular will have been well aware of the situation.

I consider that this is a worry over nothing and a long thread like this expressing disapproval and disagreement as opposed to relaxing and trusting the CEO who WILL be in the stadium on Sunday, with the assistant coach and coaching staff is more destructive of morale among the fans at least than Neil Lennon's absence could ever be.

I'm not that sanguine about us getting past Brondby in this tie anyway, regardless of whether Neil were to be present on Sunday or not. If we fail, it won't be because he wasn't at ER tomorrow; it'll be because Brondby are probably a better side than we are, and the tie comes to us far too early in the run-in to the new season.

And the allegation that he would be behaving differently if he were at Parkhead is pure supposition. No one can possibly know that for sure, but if the accusation is shouted loud enough and often enough, people will start to believe it. But there's no solid factual foundation for the allegation at all - it's pure, unfounded supposition.

ian cruise
09-07-2016, 10:22 PM

Don't worry guys, I'll be there. If I see anything that's concerning I'll be sure to tweet Neil straight away.

Job sorted, admin you can close the thread now :wink:

lord bunberry
09-07-2016, 10:26 PM

Fwiw I think you're right, but I can't understand why you're making such a big deal of it. Like it or not we're further down the food chain than Celtic and if we want a manager of his standing, we have to make some sacrifices. Would you rather we got an inferior manager that would be in the dugout tomorrow or would you rather we had Lennon and he misses this game?

Heisenberg
09-07-2016, 10:29 PM
Fwiw I think you're right, but I can't understand why you're making such a big deal of it. Like it or not we're further down the food chain than Celtic and if we want a manager of his standing, we have to make some sacrifices. Would you rather we got an inferior manager that would be in the dugout tomorrow or would you rather we had Lennon and he misses this game?

He'd probably have preferred McCall so he didn't end up looking like a fool.

lord bunberry
09-07-2016, 10:32 PM
He'd probably have preferred McCall so he didn't end up looking like a fool.

Thank **** the game isn't on bt sports then :greengrin

Forza Fred
09-07-2016, 10:48 PM
I have came into this discussion late, so forgive me, if I have missed it, but how do we all KNOW Lennon will not be at the Motherwell game?

Other than statements here and on the Bounce, where is it otherwise stated, and by whom?

Again apologies if I have missed it.

cmcd
09-07-2016, 10:59 PM
If it were the 1970's and it was Ned Turnbull we were talking about, or a manager functioning as Ned did - the GUY WHO RAN THE TEAM - I would share the concern. But times and ways have changed.

Neil Lennon isn't THE MANAGER, he's head coach, with a team of coaches working with him who are well able to look after things in his absence.

The idea that somehow the players won't 'get the message' if Neil isn't jumping up and down from dugout to touchline yelling instructions and getting in the Motherwell crew's faces to me doesn't make sense. There will be plenty people around to run things, and Neil can surely fulfill his obligations to the media on Sunday without damaging our preparations for the coming season.

Leeann is fulfilling some of the former functions of the club manager; the assistant coaches are fulfilling others, and Neil Lennon will be well able to assess the way the team plays and work towards the Brondby game when he comes back on Monday.

This situation would have been thoroughly discussed before he was offered or took the job, and the board and Leeann in particular will have been well aware of the situation.

I consider that this is a worry over nothing and a long thread like this expressing disapproval and disagreement as opposed to relaxing and trusting the CEO who WILL be in the stadium on Sunday, with the assistant coach and coaching staff is more destructive of morale among the fans at least than Neil Lennon's absence could ever be.

I'm not that sanguine about us getting past Brondby in this tie anyway, regardless of whether Neil were to be present on Sunday or not. If we fail, it won't be because he wasn't at ER tomorrow; it'll be because Brondby are probably a better side than we are, and the tie comes to us far too early in the run-in to the new season.

And the allegation that he would be behaving differently if he were at Parkhead is pure supposition. No one can possibly know that for sure, but if the accusation is shouted loud enough and often enough, people will start to believe it. But there's no solid factual foundation for the allegation at all - it's pure, unfounded supposition.

At last a decent and adult post .Well said sir

HoboHarry
09-07-2016, 11:02 PM

Well said Doddie..... 👍

SJM
10-07-2016, 12:15 AM

To be fair mate it seems I'm making. Massive deal of it because I'm replying to everyone who posts abusive **** Etc when I disagree. There's been 3 posters on here saying all I do is diss the club, I say name examples and they clearly can't. People don't like me on here, I genuinely couldn't care apart from people I actually know (here's looking at you myjo who I like and others I know too) I'm on here to give my opinion on the club I love and people making up lies and borderline bullying song effect me.

TheMentalHibees
10-07-2016, 12:22 AM
He has a contract with BBC for the euros. Open your eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
10-07-2016, 12:46 AM
Fwiw I think you're right, but I can't understand why you're making such a big deal of it. Like it or not we're further down the food chain than Celtic and if we want a manager of his standing, we have to make some sacrifices. Would you rather we got an inferior manager that would be in the dugout tomorrow or would you rather we had Lennon and he misses this game?Lennon has won 0 lost 0 and drawn 0 as Hibs manager. Nothing he has done before matters to me and shouldnt effect how he is treated as Hibs manager, for better or worse.

Dashing Bob S
10-07-2016, 03:04 AM

I'm sure this is the case and was agreed long before his talks with Dempster, who would know all the circumstances he'd be taking the job under, and would have the appointment on that basis. Yes, it's not ideal, but we could still be looking for the 'right person' at the start of the season, which would be even less ideal.

Life seldom comes in convenient packages, and I really don't get why people are choosing to make an issue of this.

Nothing whatsoever to with Lennon, Celtic or his level of commitment to Hibs. Perhaps gives the anti-Lennon bigots or sheep who mindlessly tow the Record/Hun orthodox line an excuse to gripe though, so never mind.

Call Dempster a muppet for having appointed him under these circumstances?

No? Didn't think so.

Wee Effen Bee
10-07-2016, 04:01 AM
[QUOTE=SJM;4755337]To be fair mate it seems I'm making. Massive deal of it because I'm replying to everyone who posts abusive **** Etc when I disagree. There's been 3 posters on here saying all I do is diss the club, I say name examples and they clearly can't. People don't like me on here, I genuinely couldn't care...

You're not a Hun are you?:greengrin

Brightside
10-07-2016, 07:26 AM
Can we close this down now. Its simply attention seeking.

Loopz
10-07-2016, 07:52 AM
Today should be a full match day experience for a new team to practice working together and for a new leader to show the standards that he expects every week to gain us promotion. I know it will have been previously discussed when NL got the job but I believe they got it wrong. Every game we play before Falkirk on 6th Aug is hugely important in preparing us for a tough start to the season. NL should be at today's game.

Brightside
10-07-2016, 07:58 AM
Right - thats it. Sack him and get Butcher back. HE HAS A CONTRACT. WE AGREED TO THAT. STOP BEING 8yo CHILDREN.

green day
10-07-2016, 08:24 AM
Today should be a full match day experience for a new team to practice working together and for a new leader to show the standards that he expects every week to gain us promotion. I know it will have been previously discussed when NL got the job but I believe they got it wrong. Every game we play before Falkirk on 6th Aug is hugely important in preparing us for a tough start to the season. NL should be at today's game.

How would that have worked? We insist he breaks contract with TV, hibs have to pay for that? Or NL ssys no and isn't our manager?

Neither is really sensible, so just miss a friendly game and allow staff to do their jobs - sensible, no?

bingo70
10-07-2016, 08:36 AM
Right - thats it. Sack him and get Butcher back. HE HAS A CONTRACT. WE AGREED TO THAT. STOP BEING 8yo CHILDREN.

Stop being a dick and listen to what people are discussing.

He signed a contract when he was unemployed, when he got a job with us he should have asked to be excused from his contract for this game, you disagree with that, that's fine but that doesn't mean you're right.

Incidentally he's not long tweeted what a great day of sport ahead without promoting our game, again, this is wrong IMO.

Oh and it's possible to disagree with him without wanting him sacked, if you can't see that then I'd suggest it's yourself that's acting like and 8 year old because someone dare disagree with you.

Loopz
10-07-2016, 08:39 AM
How would that have worked? We insist he breaks contract with TV, hibs have to pay for that? Or NL ssys no and isn't our manager?

Neither is really sensible, so just miss a friendly game and allow staff to do their jobs - sensible, no?
Hibs should not have to insist NL breaks his TV contract. As a statement of intent and commitment to his new employer he should have renegotiated the contract himself when he agreed to his new job. As someone who buys 3 season tickets every year I want NL to get us promoted and succeed. But I also believe that if all the staff are doing their jobs today then NL's should be spending time preparing his team for an important warm up game then leading them out on the park today.

green day
10-07-2016, 08:40 AM
Incidentally he's not long tweeted what a great day of sport ahead without promoting our game, again, this is wrong IMO.

He just tweeted about our game.......

bingo70
10-07-2016, 08:42 AM
He just tweeted about our game.......

He obviously read my post as it was about a minute past I posted it.

Thanks Neil 👍

green day
10-07-2016, 08:43 AM
Hibs should not have to insist NL breaks his TV contract. As a statement of intent and commitment to his new employer he should have renegotiated the contract himself when he agreed to his new job. As someone who buys 3 season tickets every year I want NL to get us promoted and succeed. But I also believe that if all the staff are doing their jobs today then NL's should be spending time preparing his team for an important warm up game then leading them out on the park today.
"Renegotiated his contract" With TV? Who will be comfortable with him pulling out whenever?

Don't you imagine for a minute that might be difficult if not impossible to achieve?

green day
10-07-2016, 08:45 AM
He obviously read my post as it was about a minute past I posted it.

Thanks Neil 👍

Or it's a fake account and someone on here !!

CropleyWasGod
10-07-2016, 08:57 AM

They'll be raging when they see him on TV3 tonight then [emoji6]

Broken Gnome
10-07-2016, 08:58 AM

Suggesting that it would be preferable for a manager to be at his team's last game before their first competitive match is not acting like a bairn FFS.

Brightside
10-07-2016, 09:06 AM
Stop being a dick and listen to what people are discussing.

He signed a contract when he was unemployed, when he got a job with us he should have asked to be excused from his contract for this game, you disagree with that, that's fine but that doesn't mean you're right.

Oh and it's possible to disagree with him without wanting him sacked, if you can't see that then I'd suggest it's yourself that's acting like and 8 year old because someone dare disagree with you.

People who ask to be excused from contracts don't tend to get many more. This thread is utterly ridiculous. Why do we always have this with Hibs supporters desperately trying to find things to have a dig at the club or the manager for.

Brightside
10-07-2016, 09:07 AM
Suggesting that it would be preferable for a manager to be at his team's last game before their first competitive match is not acting like a bairn FFS.

It is when people continue to ignore the fact he HAS A CONTRACT.

bingo70
10-07-2016, 09:11 AM
People who ask to be excused from contracts don't tend to get many more. This thread is utterly ridiculous. Why do we always have this with Hibs supporters desperately trying to find things to have a dig at the club or the manager for.

Nonsense, if he gives them plenty notice and has a good reason for it then of course it wouldn't be the end of his tv contract.

Youre the only one on this thread being hysterical and blowing it out of proportion. Some people think he should be here, some people don't but nobody is asking him for him to be sacked, it's just an early concern that'll be forgotten about if we have a good start to the season. The fact he's not going to be here for our last home friendly so close to a European game is worthy of discussion though.

I don't remember a manager of ours ever missing a friendly before let alone a new manager that's still getting to know his players.

Brightside
10-07-2016, 09:17 AM
I'm oot. Im sure if Hibs get beat today it will be Lennons fault....and this thread can go on for another 5 pages. But i just cannot be bothered with this stuff.

BroxburnHibee
10-07-2016, 09:35 AM
Nonsense, if he gives them plenty notice and has a good reason for it then of course it wouldn't be the end of his tv contract.

Youre the only one on this thread being hysterical and blowing it out of proportion. Some people think he should be here, some people don't but nobody is asking him for him to be sacked, it's just an early concern that'll be forgotten about if we have a good start to the season. The fact he's not going to be here for our last home friendly so close to a European game is worthy of discussion though.

I don't remember a manager of ours ever missing a friendly before let alone a new manager that's still getting to know his players.

I honestly couldn't give a **** about the European game. It's a nice bonus but in the grand scheme of this season it's meaningless.

Promotion is the only aim and Neil knows it.

Eyrie
10-07-2016, 09:40 AM
I'd prefer Lennon to be at Easter Road today, but he won't be due to a prior contractual commitment.

It's worth remembering that he had that prior contractual commitment before the Motherwell friendly was arranged for the same day, so it's reasonable to assume that his non-availability was considered at the time.

As regards all the "what if he'd been at Celtc?" crap, who cares about them?

HH81
10-07-2016, 09:40 AM

A few years ago a manager missed a league game at Motherwell. Can't remember who was in charge.

Blackfordhibby
10-07-2016, 10:42 AM
Wow! that's an hour since the last post.

oconnors_strip
10-07-2016, 10:58 AM
It will be funny if Lennon is in the dugout today :greengrin

SJM
10-07-2016, 10:58 AM
Wow! that's an hour since the last post.

Two hours if you've just landed in Paris 👍

oconnors_strip
10-07-2016, 11:03 AM
Two hours if you've just landed in Paris 👍

He is with an Irish channel according to an earlier post from an Irish fan, keep up :wink

Smartie
10-07-2016, 11:09 AM
When Hibs first approached Lennon they'll have known that this was part of the deal.

It's not the end of the world having his staff in charge for a friendly - he'll have overseen how things ahould work in his absence.

If we're sure Lennon is the man for the job we should be able to work around his prior commitments for a few weeks.

Would you rather have Jim Duffy, Colin Calderwood or Terry Butcher in total charge immediately or Jose Mourinho juggling things for a few weeks of pre-season before coming in fully committed?

Sometimes a bit of compromise is required.

Ergye
10-07-2016, 11:53 AM
Nurse.

They're doing it again.

Ergye
10-07-2016, 02:35 PM
Hibs cruising against Motherwell.

Grant Holt is the new Chris Killen.

Dear Neil.

Paris can keep you as long as they need you.

Grant Holts Barmy Army.

bingo70
10-07-2016, 02:41 PM
Hibs cruising against Motherwell.

Grant Holt is the new Chris Killen.

Dear Neil.

Paris can keep you as long as they need you.

Grant Holts Barmy Army.

We would be 4-1 up if Lennon was here IMO

Beefster
10-07-2016, 02:47 PM
Sounds like some posters are never going to warm to Lennon so will bitch and whine about every little thing that they can.

Bostonhibby
10-07-2016, 02:51 PM
If Lennon had spent 45 minutes rooted to the spot at the edge of the technical area waving his hands about like managers are supposed to do we'd have scored more. Only one way to do it. Deary me.

Petrie out. Lennon in but only if he stands there like a proper manager.

stantonhibby
10-07-2016, 02:56 PM
Sounds like some posters are never going to warm to Lennon so will bitch and whine about every little thing that they can.

100%

bingo70
10-07-2016, 02:58 PM

I can only speak for myself but that's just not true from my part.

Loopz
10-07-2016, 03:17 PM
Plenty bitching going on right enough :bitchy: A very poor statement.

Beefster
10-07-2016, 03:36 PM

I'd accept 'poor' but I'm not having 'very poor'.

ChicoM1875
10-07-2016, 03:52 PM
Don't often post, but some of the in-fighting going on on this and other thread is mental. In my eyes it's a pretty decent time to be a hibby. Just won the Scottish, an exciting young team, scored (at least) 10 goals in our last two games, a high profile managerial appointment, potentially getting our top goalscorer on a 4 year deal, a European tie this week against a well known team. Yet folk are just chipping away at each other. We support the same team by the way.

Edit. A hibby is just about to win Wimbledon too (hopefully)

Keith_M
10-07-2016, 03:56 PM
We would be 4-1 up if Lennon was here IMO

Definitely would have won by much more.

hibs0666
10-07-2016, 04:05 PM

We missed him today right enough.

Highland_Hibee
10-07-2016, 04:50 PM
Some Hibs fans could be getting a BJ from Beyonce and still complain. "Don't like her music"

Brightside
10-07-2016, 05:02 PM
Some Hibs fans could be getting a BJ from Beyonce and still complain. "Don't like her music"

They would want Lennon to tickle the balls.

Big L
10-07-2016, 05:12 PM
If that's the performance when he's not there!! Please make this the last post on this subject, it does not show our support in a very good light.

--------
10-07-2016, 05:34 PM

:agree: Some posters seem to have made up their minds that regardless of what the man does, they have no intentions of liking him.

So he works with the players through the week; completes preparations for the Motherwell game on Friday afternoon. Hands over to his assistants whom he trusts and with whom he has worked previously, and heads for Paris to fulfil his contract with the TV people, on the understanding that he'll be back on Monday for the post mortem - the first stage in the prep for the next game, the one against Brondby.

The 'mortem' in this case being that of Motherwell, NOT HIBS.

Modern head coaches work as part of a team - much of what used to be the manager's remit is now dealt with by members of the board, a CEO like Leeann (peace and blessings be upon her), and a team of assistant specialist coaches who are perfectly capable of holding the fort for a couple of days at the start of the season while the team plays a pre-season friendly.

People working together as a team, sharing functions within the team.

NOT one boss stuck on the top of a pyramid trying vainly to fulfill all functions and (inevitably) eventually failing.

The fact that the Hibs head coach is in demand with the football media to act as a summariser/commentator ahead of other much less competent actually pleases me not a little. It's good for the club's standing and reputation and suggests that other people than Hibs value his insights and respect his standing in the game.

And while obviously the game was only a pre-season friendly, Hibs dealing out a 4-1 beating to a Premiership side is a pleasant thing indeed to hear of.

Especially since my closest colleague and boss is a Fir Park ST holder and is going to get a wee roasting next time I see him. :greengrin

I disagree.

It might just have been reasonable to ask the question about NL's trip to Paris (though I think that question was answered more than adequately more than once in the course of the thread).

The allegation/insinuation that NL wouldn't have missed a pre-season if he were still at Parkhead - in other words, the accusation that he was disrespecting the club and the fans by fulfilling his contract with the media - was pure baseless supposition and frankly smelled strongly to me of ****-stirring.

"What if he'd been at Celtc?" He isn't. Eyrie's right - that's all crap.

IWasThere2016
10-07-2016, 05:41 PM
I honestly couldn't give a **** about the European game. It's a nice bonus but in the grand scheme of this season it's meaningless.

Promotion is the only aim and Neil knows it.

:top marks

bingo70
10-07-2016, 05:51 PM
After the debate earlier I thought it only right I point out that I think it was a lower key event than I thought it would have been, it was like a low key pre-season friendly which takes some doing, I'd imagine the intensity would be ramped up a bit against Birmingham. I still think Lennon should have been there today but as it transpired I don't think he'll have missed much by not being there.

Not sure if that's me admitting I'm wrong or not as I still think it was an issue that was worth a discussion but hey ho, good to get a win after a good performance and the team will have gained some confidence from today which won't do them any harm at all.

TonyStokeprano
10-07-2016, 06:02 PM
Maybe we couldn't have afforded neil lennon but agreed to let him go work for a few hours a few times during the summer and collect a lovely sum of cash to top up his wage lol

Loopz
10-07-2016, 06:28 PM
:agree: Some posters seem to have made up their minds that regardless of what the man does, they have no intentions of liking him.

So he works with the players through the week; completes preparations for the Motherwell game on Friday afternoon. Hands over to his assistants whom he trusts and with whom he has worked previously, and heads for Paris to fulfil his contract with the TV people, on the understanding that he'll be back on Monday for the post mortem - the first stage in the prep for the next game, the one against Brondby.

The 'mortem' in this case being that of Motherwell, NOT HIBS.

Modern head coaches work as part of a team - much of what used to be the manager's remit is now dealt with by members of the board, a CEO like Leeann (peace and blessings be upon her), and a team of assistant specialist coaches who are perfectly capable of holding the fort for a couple of days at the start of the season while the team plays a pre-season friendly.

People working together as a team, sharing functions within the team.

NOT one boss stuck on the top of a pyramid trying vainly to fulfill all functions and (inevitably) eventually failing.

The fact that the Hibs head coach is in demand with the football media to act as a summariser/commentator ahead of other much less competent actually pleases me not a little. It's good for the club's standing and reputation and suggests that other people than Hibs value his insights and respect his standing in the game.

And while obviously the game was only a pre-season friendly, Hibs dealing out a 4-1 beating to a Premiership side is a pleasant thing indeed to hear of.

Especially since my closest colleague and boss is a Fir Park ST holder and is going to get a wee roasting next time I see him. :greengrin

I disagree.

It might just have been reasonable to ask the question about NL's trip to Paris (though I think that question was answered more than adequately more than once in the course of the thread).

The allegation/insinuation that NL wouldn't have missed a pre-season if he were still at Parkhead - in other words, the accusation that he was disrespecting the club and the fans by fulfilling his contract with the media - was pure baseless supposition and frankly smelled strongly to me of ****-stirring.

"What if he'd been at Celtc?" He isn't. Eyrie's right - that's all crap.
I was going to leave this at Beefsters last post as we had a good win today and we should move on but you have quoted me Doddie whilst including a lot of issues I did not raise.

My opinion that NL should have been at today's game has nothing to do with not liking him.
Of course a boss should use his full team to achieve any given objective in any walk of life and not try to do it all themselves. I happen to believe it would have shown a stronger sense of leadership and been better preparation for our upcoming competitive games if NL had been on the touch line with his team today.
Imagine how high a regard the football media would have for Hibs if NL had prioritised us over a few thousand pound punditry event :wink:
I disagree with your disagreement and you will not find me referring to the lesser greens in any of my posts.
As I said it was a good win today and I'm delighted. The result good or bad was never going to change my mind that I think NL should have been there as preparation for his goal of leading us to promotion.

Bostonhibby
10-07-2016, 06:40 PM
I was going to leave this at Beefsters last post as we had a good win today and we should move on but you have quoted me Doddie whilst including a lot of issues I did not raise.

My opinion that NL should have been at today's game has nothing to do with not liking him.
Of course a boss should use his full team to achieve any given objective in any walk of life and not try to do it all themselves. I happen to believe it would have shown a stronger sense of leadership and been better preparation for our upcoming competitive games if NL had been on the touch line with his team today.
Imagine how high a regard the football media would have for Hibs if NL had prioritised us over a few thousand pound punditry event :wink:
I disagree with your disagreement and you will not find me referring to the lesser greens in any of my posts.
As I said it was a good win today and I'm delighted. The result good or bad was never going to change my mind that I think NL should have been there as preparation for his goal of leading us to promotion.
Very good post on the subject[emoji106]

If Lennon can achieve all of this from afar then we have something to look forward to when he is here for games

Time For Heroes
10-07-2016, 06:51 PM
Here was me thinking that our manager had hook up with a talentless heiress