PDA

View Full Version : NHC Wearing Hibs colours in Glasgow

Iceman1875
08-07-2016, 07:05 PM
I live in Glasgow, in a heavily populated Sevco area. I wear my Hibs strip with pride often especially when being dragged to the shops. Recently Mrs Iceman is starting to voice her concerns around the fact it might not be the best idea given what has went on in the last few months [emoji471] clearly I'm not going to mouth off and sing the 'Stokesys on fire' song (in their face, anyway) but has anyone else had similar concerns from their loved ones? [emoji16]

At Easter Road we play...

Finn2015
08-07-2016, 07:06 PM
Got to say I can understand your wife's concern. Anything in green is liable to be the subject of Hun anger.

Highland_Hibee
08-07-2016, 07:20 PM
Lucky for me up here folk are much more passive in general so I have no fears to display my team colours. I would however be a little more wary around certain Glasgow neighborhoods. Like a red rag to a bull the green and white.....

Cocaine&Caviar
08-07-2016, 07:21 PM
Dont be rediculous. No different to any other city in the UK on a non match day.

Viva_Palmeiras
08-07-2016, 07:25 PM
The day of the Hands off Hibs rally at ER was the same date of The Stone Roses playing at Glasgow Green. I headed over and wore my HoH tshirt and met no animosity - even sailed past security without a pat down.

I have kids and work in Glasgow but live in Edinburgh. By and large I find the weedgie warm and welcoming compared with some more uptight Edinburghers workplaces I've known (most my time has been spent down south). It's just a gut feel but wouldn't be happy moving my kids through to Glasgow because of the "baggage" - it perhaps cost me a decent role through there'. One of the most bigoted folks I've met in my time I met the first role I had out there. A real dinosaur and not worth bringing to task (simply for the reason nothing would have got done). With folks like that roaming about and the propensity to allow orange walks and classify stuff as "banter" I'd not have my kids draw attention to themselves. But each to their own...

TheSouthMoroccan
08-07-2016, 07:34 PM
I'm from Edinburgh but live in Glasgow and my wee boy (7) wears his Hibs strip with pride when out and about and so far never a bother, though we do live in Bearsden so might be a slightly different response if he walked the streets of Govan with his strip on. Have to say that after the cup final win there is a wee spring in both our steps when out and about when he has his strip on. He is currently going to a school holiday football summer camp thing and obviously he is the only boy who pitches is with his Hibs strip. Never had any bother.

LancashireHibby
08-07-2016, 07:40 PM
Dont be rediculous. No different to any other city in the UK on a non match day.
Must admit I've only been in Glasgow on a non-match day a handful of times, but I found it quite striking how few people I saw wearing replica shirts, certainly in comparison in somewhere like Manchester.

NORTHERNHIBBY
08-07-2016, 07:50 PM
If you say it is because you are interested and passionate about football and your team they will be utterly confused.

Edinburgher
08-07-2016, 07:51 PM
I was speaking to a Celtic fan the other day from Glasgow about wearing "colours" and it was as bizarre a conversation as I have had in a long time. According to him - wearing blue (not a football top) could get you in trouble in certain areas while wearing green could get you in trouble and then he said that if you wore a Barcelona top, Argentina top etc then this was representing catholic nations to some knuckle draggers and could get you in trouble as was wearing a Holland top as it is perceived as being protestant (and is of course Orange). Then there were colour of clothes that might represent the colours of an away strip from either of the ugly sisters (past or present)! So if that is the mentality of some idiots then you are more courageous than me! On a sidenote in Govan Road there are quite a few Celtic boozers surprisingly with Govan Arms, Richards and one nearby called the Tall Cranes having, apparently, the most amount of stabbings for any pub in Glasgow - once again reinforcing why it is so good to be an Edinburgher and a Hibee!

Glory Lurker
08-07-2016, 08:05 PM
Wouldn't do it personally. Not worth the worry
Glasgow cannae handle its football. On that front it's like a fourteen year old on white lightning

Cocaine&Caviar
08-07-2016, 08:07 PM
I work in Glasgow 2 days a week, some of the stuff that gets said about the place is complete tosh.

Golden Bear
08-07-2016, 08:12 PM
I live in Glasgow, in a heavily populated Sevco area. I wear my Hibs strip with pride often especially when being dragged to the shops. Recently Mrs Iceman is starting to voice her concerns around the fact it might not be the best idea given what has went on in the last few months [emoji471] clearly I'm not going to mouth off and sing the 'Stokesys on fire' song (in their face, anyway) but has anyone else had similar concerns from their loved ones? [emoji16]

Not worth the risk Craig. Save it for your home town.

blaikie
08-07-2016, 08:13 PM
I've been wearing my Hibs tops/merchandise with pride in Glasgow for years and I've never had any issues, and I live within 2/3 miles of ibrox! but then again my home tops a XXL .... So I might not look worth trying to wind up Or start a fight with!

southsider
08-07-2016, 08:16 PM
Wouldn't do it personally. Not worth the worry
Glasgow cannae handle its football. On that front it's like a fourteen year old on white lightning Used to travel to Bishopbiggs to meet up with my g/f ( she has now moved thru here). Went out Sunday am wearing my Hibs colours after cup final. Few dirty looks and few thumbs up. But we won the Cup & could not give a toss wot they thou. GGTTH

Greencore
08-07-2016, 08:18 PM
Wore my hibs top in Ayrshire, had no problems. Had no problems in the last when I've been to Glasgow and wore it.

Renfrew_Hibby
08-07-2016, 08:21 PM
Grew up in Ayr and now live in Renfrew, home of Andy Haliday and just along the road from Ibrox itself. Total hun toon! Usually only wear my Hibs top on a match day but always wear Hibs tops with pride and screw the lot of them. No had any bother, just lots of funny looks!

Lang Toun Hibs
08-07-2016, 08:27 PM
I've bumped into a few here in Lanzarote with my #perservered t shirt on...I smile knowingly but then spoil it all by laughing at them!

Finn2015
08-07-2016, 08:33 PM
I work in Glasgow 2 days a week, some of the stuff that gets said about the place is complete tosh.

I love Glasgow. Think it's a great city and most people are friendly and welcoming, perhaps more so than in Edinburgh but it is true that you have to be wary of wearing colours and people have been stabbed and assaulted for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I don't think it's being insulting to suggest that's the case

Carheenlea
08-07-2016, 08:34 PM
Anyone not a bit overweight, adorned in non garish sportswear and sporting a full head of hair will always suggest you are not of Hun persuasion. The wearing or not wearing of Hibs shirts is immaterial really.

BH Hibs
08-07-2016, 08:36 PM
I wear mine in Armadale no hassle whatsoever Don't get precious about this sort of thing

Iggy Pope
08-07-2016, 08:37 PM
I was speaking to a Celtic fan the other day from Glasgow about wearing "colours" and it was as bizarre a conversation as I have had in a long time. According to him - wearing blue (not a football top) could get you in trouble in certain areas while wearing green could get you in trouble and then he said that if you wore a Barcelona top, Argentina top etc then this was representing catholic nations to some knuckle draggers and could get you in trouble as was wearing a Holland top as it is perceived as being protestant (and is of course Orange). Then there were colour of clothes that might represent the colours of an away strip from either of the ugly sisters (past or present)! So if that is the mentality of some idiots then you are more courageous than me! On a sidenote in Govan Road there are quite a few Celtic boozers surprisingly with Govan Arms, Richards and one nearby called the Tall Cranes having, apparently, the most amount of stabbings for any pub in Glasgow - once again reinforcing why it is so good to be an Edinburgher and a Hibee!

Your Celtic supporting acquaintance is talking considerable garbage but I suppose you've gathered that. Outside of the match-day (obviously), Glasgow is as cosmopolitan a city as any.

And Govan has always had a strong Irish community. St Anthonys Juniors FC played their games for a long time yards from Ibrox in full Celtic kit. Some links with us as well, Jimmy Dunn played for them. More on them here. And they credit the 'first hoops' ....
http://www.antshistory.moonfruit.com

The 'Catholic Club' in front of where they played at the time in question was a welcome refuge for Hibbies in need of sustenance before facing 90 mins of subjugation. Big iron door with a "Speakeasy" type hatch right enough, but a welcome stopping point for me and many others through the 80s.

Iceman1875
08-07-2016, 09:04 PM
Not worth the risk Craig. Save it for your home town.

Cheers John

WHAM
08-07-2016, 09:23 PM
Nearly always wear Hibs colours when out playing 5s during the week and apart from a few long stares never had an issues.

My missus though refused to let me leave the house the Monday after the cup final in my Hibs top fearing for my safety! Lol.

SteveHFC
08-07-2016, 09:28 PM
Wore my a hibs top going to ibrox a few years ago and never had issues. :aok:

DirtyDeeds
08-07-2016, 11:10 PM
I wear a jersey or my Persevered tshirt regularly in the 5s league im part of in Shawlands. Been a few later tackles since Grail Day from those of a Hun persuasion, but nothing more. You'll find bother if you seek it.

heretoday
08-07-2016, 11:16 PM
I wouldn't wear a Hibs shirt anywhere West of Harthill. At my age one punch could kill me.

H18 SFR
08-07-2016, 11:20 PM
I've bumped into a few here in Lanzarote with my #perservered t shirt on...I smile knowingly but then spoil it all by laughing at them!

11 of us went into the Bluebells bar yesterday and asked them if they would put the cup final on...her reply, which one lol.

Captain Trips
08-07-2016, 11:21 PM
Live in Glasgow had my Hibsed it top on plenty of times.

No worries but if folk do not like then get it right up ye.

ian cruise
09-07-2016, 01:32 AM
I live just outside of Glasgow (East Kilbride) and used to wear my tops often, usually for running. Not so much anymore as I don't trust certain elements of other teams support, predominantly Rangers fans. There's definitely been a tangible turn in the atmosphere between the supporters groups. They used to have their knuckle draggers, like any club, though much more than most, however the last few years the "everyone hates us we don't care" attitude has definitely grown, even amongst more sensible Rangers fans I know. The cup final has not helped as it's vindicated their (in my opinion erroneous) belief that they are victims. Some of the stuff I see online via Facebook, etc, being shared by Rangers fans I know and call friends make me very sad indeed.

To actually answer your question, I'd be a bit careful if I was you about where and when you wear it, you never know when you'll come across a bampot who thinks their standing up for their club when actually what they are doing is just assaulting you (verbally or physically).

greenlex
09-07-2016, 06:09 AM
I'm not sure Id wear a Hibs strip to go shopping full stop to be honest never mind Glasgow.

SJM
09-07-2016, 08:55 AM
Makes me want to go to the big tesco in the ferry and chant na na na na na na na na - cheers!

cleanyman
09-07-2016, 08:59 AM
I've been wearing my persevere t shirt regularly

Had a few moans but as soon as they hear the accent they wander off

Locals get special treatment

Dublin07
09-07-2016, 10:47 AM
11 of us went into the Bluebells bar yesterday and asked them if they would put the cup final on...her reply, which one lol.

we arrive there on Tuesday. already promised my boys they can take their hibs tops and cup final flag to get pictures outside the bluebells bar. going to post them on their facebbok page. did they enjoy the banter lol

Keith_M
09-07-2016, 06:54 PM
When I lived in Glasgow, I used to walk around regularly wearing a green hoodie with Hibees on the front and never had any trouble.

I even wore it sometimes on Cup Final days...and I lived in Mount Florida :greengrin

liscious_hibs
09-07-2016, 11:45 PM
I work in Cumbernauld which is overflowing with sevco supporters and I usually wear my scarf to work, I do a lot of deep freezer inventory in my spoons, especially on a Sunday and I've never gotten any bother, the lads I work with don't like it when I laugh at their Rangers tops and ask them how excited they are about Europe though ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jdawg
10-07-2016, 12:43 AM
I'm not sure Id wear a Hibs strip to go shopping full stop to be honest never mind Glasgow.

Agreed, very cringeworthy. As is wearing them on holiday (adults).

Adults should wear them to a game or for 5's, etc.

#persevered
10-07-2016, 08:41 AM
I live in Glasgow and I have to admit I've been both assaulted and spat on for wearing my hibs shirt on the way to games. However those were a long time ago (15+ years) and Glasgow has mellowed since, it's not the war zone some like to make it out to be. My experience has put me off doing it but I wouldn't think it'd be that risky these days.

GreenLake
10-07-2016, 09:00 AM
I wore mine out after the cup final. Several of both Glasgow sides were decent at my hotel then Celtic fans at The Brazen Head and St Vincent's sang Hibs songs and celebrated with me all night. The only friction I felt was from some bar people at my hotel once they clocked the Hibs top and the doorman getting back in was rude. I don't think Glasgow deserves the blame for a few idiots. I look forward to the next Scottish Cup final and might end up with my Hibs top in Govan if we beat Celtic. :greengrin

Finn2015
10-07-2016, 10:30 AM
Agreed, very cringeworthy. As is wearing them on holiday (adults).

Adults should wear them to a game or for 5's, etc.

Agreed tbh. Haven't got a replica top in a while and tbh, they are not the most comfortable things any way particularly if it's warm weather. Club shop has very decent array of jumpers, t-shirts and other apparel so that cutting edge design is more befitting of a man about town like me I suppose, at least that's what I tell myself when I'm alone wishing I had those things called friends. Any way, I digress